Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1248 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 22, 2010, 00:01 Tom

I used to have McAfee running on my work PC. Definitely garbage software. Unfortunately, the IT person was able to detect when I disabled it completely. So I found a better way to disable it. First, run Process Explorer and suspend its stupid process that is responsible for periodically resetting all customized settings. (I forget its name but if you look at Process Monitor, it's the one that does thousands and thousands of registry accesses every few seconds.) Then go into the real-time scan settings and set it to scan only specific files (those that end in extension ".abc" or something) and disable heuristics and other stupid things.

This way, McAfee no longer did much of anything, but it still showed up as running to IT.

Of course, the day the IT person left, I just uninstalled the POS and never looked back.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Patch Wednesday
8. Re: Bad Company 2 Patch Wednesday Apr 19, 2010, 16:18 Tom

Noooooooooooo my beloved M60!!!! Knew I should've gotten platinum on that before it was too late. Oh well. At least maybe I won't get killed by it as much...?

I'm glad they're fixing a ton of bugs, anyway. Especially crashing when trying to continue SP after patching, geez.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 15, 2010, 18:58 Tom

Crysis ran fine at its release on my modest gaming system with a single gfx card priced around $250. The problem is with people who don't understand scalability and have to set every slider to the max, then complain "oh, it's poorly optimized!" No, you're just an idiot for maxing out the settings and then complaining about the framerate. The framerate was fine when you lowered the settings, and the game still looked fantastic.

If the game looked like crap when the settings were lowered, then I think accusations of poor optimization would be justified. But if the game runs and looks fine on medium settings, and a dev wants to think big with the highest settings, actually give you the choice to opt for those diminishing returns, and maybe provide some value on future generations of hardware other than uselessly rendering more frames than the display is capable of showing, they should not be accused of poor optimization. That's scalability, and it's not the easiest thing in the world to achieve.

News Comments > StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia
9. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 13:33 Tom

Oh yeah, you can bet this will totally be coming to other regions, i.e. the entire world. Remember when Microsoft did this for Office and Windows? Just a matter of time baby, yeah!

I mean come on. Don't you think they're looking at WoW and thinking hey, the real money is in subscriptions. Why don't we do that for everything? We can, we will, and people will pay up. Sure there will be a few whiny exceptions, but they'll be statistically insignificant.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE & Pricing
61. Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE & Pricing Apr 8, 2010, 19:42 Tom

Ha.. They could give this game away for free and the same people would still find ways to complain about it.

So, a few people thought it was interesting that Blizzard's games were $60 ten years ago. What about inflation? Plug that into an inflation calculator and you get a 2009 equivalent price of $74. Games are getting CHEAPER, even as their development costs skyrocket. If StarCraft 2 really offered way less gameplay than the original StarCraft did, then maybe it'd be a different story, but it sounds like that argument has already been debunked if you do an apples to apples comparison.

Beamer is right, this community has devolved into a sorry state. At least there are a few voices of reason, though.

News Comments > Known BF:BC2 Issues
4. Re: Known BF:BC2 Issues Mar 23, 2010, 01:20 Tom

Loving this game. Don't care whether they fix most of the issues on the list. Improving reliability of knife kills would be great, though.  

News Comments > EA on C&C4's "No" DRM
50. Re: Steam fails. It is inevitable. Mar 19, 2010, 01:22 Tom

Nice FUD!  

29. Re: EA on C&C4's Mar 18, 2010, 19:34 Tom

Someone looking at review scores should always look at not just the critics, but what the people have to say. Metacritic does a good job here. Assassin's Creed II for the PC has a critic rating of 82 there, but the user score is 2.3 out of 10 with 255 votes. Should be a red flag for anyone thinking of buying this game.  

17. Re: EA on C&C4's Mar 18, 2010, 18:01 Tom

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 17:29:
DRM doesn't just mean "software that fucks up your computer".

Actually, that's pretty much what the media has redefined it to mean. People go along with that because they don't know any better and/or they don't care. The meaning of DRM is now highly dependent upon context and the parties involved, which makes it difficult to have any meaningful discussion about it.

News Comments > Safety Dance
2. Re: Safety Dance Mar 16, 2010, 19:41 Tom

It never gets old for me. Although, the quality level definitely varies.

For example, I recall a high quality one where they aligned Hitler saying "SS" with a subtitle about "Camaro SS" or something similar. Genius! There have also been some real great uses of the part with the one woman consoling the other one.

I would love to know what the original actors think of this phenomenon. Hopefully they've seen at least one or two. But as you say, the experience would be different for those who know German... well, they'd just need some imagination and a good sense of humor.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Maintenance Complete
20. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Maintenance Complete Mar 16, 2010, 00:32 Tom

They didn't bother implementing real joystick support because people don't use joysticks with consoles. They only grudgingly support the KB and mouse, as you can tell if you try to mess with binds or mouse smoothing.

Still loving the game anyway though. I'd be less happy if I hadn't always flown with a mouse in BF2.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Patch Today
7. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Patch Today Mar 15, 2010, 15:52 Tom

Ping in server browser = network latency, the only latency info they could present at that point, since you're not connected to the server.

Ping in game = "game latency", which has nothing to do with "response time from game to monitor". It's presumably a measurement that includes network latency, prediction buffering, and probably other factors. When other games report "ping" they typically report only the network latency part of the equation, even though other factors increase the actual end-to-end latency, although the reporting varies.

As for what they mean by "game latency" and why they did it that way, they explained it in the post:

"We're actually showing game latency instead of ping.
This is basically how far behind the client is compared to the server. We try to keep the server a small portion in front of the clients so they in most cases can use replicated data until they get the next ghost update from the server. If they get a lag spike they will start predicting the state when they run out of information, however, the basic idea is to smooth out the experience compared to everything having to be corrected when the predictions are slightly off."

Based on my gameplay experience alone, I'd say their approach is passable but not a substantial improvement over previous ones - except MAYBE when playing with higher network latency than usual.

News Comments > On Infinity Ward Royalties
19. Re: On Infinity Ward Royalties Mar 12, 2010, 14:21 Tom

If Activision is violating employment contracts and/or the law, I hope the employees settle or sue and both sides get what's coming to them. My comment was aimed at criticism of businesses operating within the realm of 1) what employees signed up for, and 2) what is legal.

I don't know the situation at Activision/IW but if I worked hard on building a valuable franchise only to get screwed over in the end, I would focus the blame on not only Activision but also in large part to whoever was responsible for selling IW to them. And if I stuck around for too long under poor conditions post-sale, I would also blame myself.

News Comments > On Infinity Ward Royalties
16. Re: On Infinity Ward Royalties Mar 12, 2010, 13:20 Tom

How is this any different from standard business? The business owner commits the money, organizes things, takes the risks, and reaps the rewards. Employees are pretty much free to leave at any time without losing out on huge investments they've made.

I see this over and over again. People always focus on how the loot is divided up and how unfair it is, while glossing over what the process was for generating that loot and who did what to make it happen.

If developers want to be treated "fairly", why don't they stay independent and make their own fate instead of selling out to these behemoths?

News Comments > Metaverse
4. Re: Metaverse Mar 7, 2010, 15:23 Tom

I visit Blue's News every single day. Occasionally I use it as a test site in a browser on another computer, another browser, in a virtual machine, etc. which doesn't block ads. The ads are obnoxious and obtrusive every single time. Hence I block them in my main environments and will continue to do so. And, I will recommend to everyone I know to block ads as much as is technically feasible.

The web without adblock is a sad, sad place. The sites that run ads seem to have very little control over the ad content. The ad networks will do anything for money (I mean ANYTHING), but even worse than that, they seem to delight in making the most obnoxious ads possible. In other words, they are sadists.

Why would a decent site want to inflict this on its visitors? If your site needs money, get in contact with the people visiting it. Build and maintain a relationship. Then ask for something reasonable in return for the value you provide - don't you think you would get something? But don't try to lay a guilt trip on people because of your flawed business model. It's insulting.

News Comments > Speedier BC2 Server Browsing
15. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 12:16 Tom

Ok I take it back, the friends list is not properly showing friends as in-game sometimes.  

News Comments > Speedier BC2 Server Browsing
13. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 11:47 Tom

Haven't needed the server browser once so far. Usually I join on a friend, otherwise I use the Play Now button - which works fine. Occasionally it'll put me on an undesirable server, in which case I disconnect and try again. Never takes more than 2 or 3 attempts and it loads really fast.

So yeah, it'd be nice if they'd make the server browser usable, but the game doesn't NEED it so I can see why it's been low priority.

News Comments > NVIDIA Driver Issue
19. Re: NVIDIA Driver Issue Mar 5, 2010, 10:11 Tom

Funny, it was an ATI card (X1900XT) that melted itself for me that made me start getting all paranoid about temperatures and fan control.

I think both ATI and NVIDIA are equally guilty when it comes to crazy temperatures and meltdowns. Sadly, it only seems like it's going to get worse.

News Comments > NVIDIA Driver Issue
8. Re: NVIDIA Driver Issue Mar 5, 2010, 00:24 Tom

"We could be the Harley-Davidson of graphics cards!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVjZqC1AE4

Seriously though, best solution is to use RivaTuner to reprogram the fan controller, as described here:
http://www.overclock.net/3140251-post1.html

It's kind of a pain to set up, but offers extremely fine grained control with respect to time and fan speed. You can set up the temperature/noise tradeoff just the way you want it.

(Actually, I would prefer to not have to get involved in making this tradeoff in the first place...)

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Pathfinding Trailer
2. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Pathfinding Trailer Feb 27, 2010, 14:34 Tom

Wow, that really is cool! Looks like a great improvement over good ol' A*.  

1248 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo