Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1305 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: ... Sep 30, 2010, 16:39 Tom

PoopieMoopie wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 15:32:
they just want to inhibit some of the demand, remember when the Wii came out? you can't even SEE one in the stores for the first year....they can start at $350 and we'll still see it on ebay for more.
$300 for a somewhat revolutionary tech is cheap these days.

Exactly.. It took several years for the Wii to become easily available, actually. That's CRAZY. They should learn from that and start the price off high. $300 might be high enough. It will be interesting to see.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II Reporting
6. Re: StarCraft II Reporting Sep 29, 2010, 19:41 Tom

Heh. Don't let a few idiots ruin the game for you. Play it the way you want. You don't have to answer to anybody on there.

I've been playing on a fairly regular basis along with some friends and I'm doing it just for fun. It's a competitive game, though. If you play a vs. match, one team has to lose. You have to play better than your opponents if you want to win.

Memorizing strategies should come naturally as you play, learn from your mistakes, and develop your game. Reading guides can accelerate that development, but it certainly isn't necessary. I've watched a few videos on YouTube, gotten some tips from friends (who are way better than me), and the rest has just come from playing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 23, 2010, 11:46 Tom

They took a lot of flak for removing "Other OS" support in the name of anti-piracy, so I guess this time they figured they'd at least try to redirect it with some lame excuse. This is pretty funny/sad though.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 22, 2010, 14:24 Tom

Yes, because Microsoft is a single entity with a single worldview, communicating a unified message on every subject from every employee. Wow, you give them a lot of credit.  

News Comments > Win 7/USB SpaceOrb
7. Re: Win 7/USB SpaceOrb Sep 21, 2010, 12:28 Tom

There's a detailed description of it in comment #2's link.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution TGS Trailer
10. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution TGS Trailer Sep 16, 2010, 13:49 Tom

For example, being able to do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NffeSvk7yyw

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution TGS Trailer
9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution TGS Trailer Sep 16, 2010, 13:43 Tom

I think people love the original Deus Ex for a lot of reasons... It had extraordinary attention to detail in all areas, it was fun, it had some meat to it, it had a lot of unique characteristics even though it was clearly inspired by other works, it had plenty of memorable moments, and it struck an excellent balance between being accessible and having some more hardcore game systems - better than System Shock 2 IMO. Many of us have come back to it after years and seen how it still stands up as a darn good game.

I seriously doubt any sequel will approach the original, but I'd still love to be surprised.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Update, Comic
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update, Comic Sep 11, 2010, 21:30 Tom

Strategic gardening FTW!  

News Comments > New Steam Client
7. Re: New Steam Client Aug 31, 2010, 19:58 Tom

The fullscreen game is still running fine, I just get pulled back to the desktop with the Steam update notice window getting focus. Yes, NVIDIA. Haven't updated the drivers in awhile, they're 196.21.  

News Comments > New Steam Client
3. Re: New Steam Client Aug 31, 2010, 00:40 Tom

Steam pulled me out of my fullscreen game to tell me about this update. It's done this with the previous two updates too. Seriously, wtf Valve. Is this happening to anyone else too? Running Windows 7 64-bit. I swear this didn't start happening until the last month or two...  

News Comments > AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name
45. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 17:49 Tom

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 15:57:
Tom wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 13:34:
Yay for anecdotes. My ATI 9800 Pro's fan died and my 1800XT cooked itself (terrible heatsink design, thanks ASUS!), forcing me to put up with artifacts and underclocking/undervolting to keep it stable while I shopped for a new gfx card. My NVIDIA cards have never failed me.
So that would be an asus problem because they followed the bare minimum for cooling design. Or would that be an ATI problem because they made the chip? Kinda lost here. And apparently you've never seen nVidia cards so hot you could boil water on them, or have you? Those dual slot cards nvidia was pumping out a few years ago sucked for heat, heat failure, and design issues.

Then again overall GPU's are heavy on the transistors, usually 2-4 times more than a CPU now. That's a lot of heat in a small area.

I blame both ATI and ASUS for my 1800XT's failure. It's ATI's fault for having no thermal throttling on their chips - the only way you find out there's a problem is after it's irreparably damaged? Poor design. CPU vendors got over that a long time ago. It's also ASUS's fault for using an inadequate heatsink that became even less effective over time.

I haven't seen an NVIDIA card get up to 100C. The highest I've seen is about 80C. Have some of them gotten up to 100C? I don't doubt it one bit, but it hasn't happened to me (yet).

I understand the problem with anecdotes and was attempting to help illustrate it. Anecdotes push people to believe something in the world is one way or another, but they are not valid evidence of the truth. Only intelligently collected and interpreted data with a sufficiently large sample size can serve as valid evidence of the truth. Unfortunately such evidence is hard to come by, while there's no shortage of anecdotal evidence.

News Comments > AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name
23. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 13:34 Tom

Yay for anecdotes. My ATI 9800 Pro's fan died and my 1800XT cooked itself (terrible heatsink design, thanks ASUS!), forcing me to put up with artifacts and underclocking/undervolting to keep it stable while I shopped for a new gfx card. My NVIDIA cards have never failed me.

Of course, after my 1800XT failure, I started maintaining strict monitoring and control over temperatures and fan speeds. The default settings are ridiculous and would have you cooking your GPU just to make the card a little quieter. I maintain the perfect balance between cooling and noise level by reprogramming the fan controller with RivaTuner. Sure it's a PITA to set up, but that's a one-time bit of setup work that lasts years. And I'm not talking about discrete temperature thresholds that trigger different fan presets, but rather fan controller parameters that affect instantaneous fan speed adjustment based on changing temperature.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 27, 2010, 10:34 Tom

As much as Intel graphics suck, they suck a whole lot less than they did a few years ago. It's nice that even the lowest end Atom-based netbooks have basic DX9-compatible 3D graphics... not good enough for gaming but good enough for simple use in apps. They can run DX9 and shaders. In the past it would've been like "Intel graphics? not useful for anything, app won't run, or we need a software renderer". Now it actually does something.

I'm working on a specialized 3D engine and so far the main thing I've had to implement just for Intel graphics has been 16-bit indices instead of 32-bit. Not a big deal, and probably helpful for other GPUs anyway. What has driven you crazy about them?

News Comments > Valve Would Like to Make the Half-Life Movie
14. Re: Valve Would Like to Make the Half-Life Movie Aug 26, 2010, 22:46 Tom

Valve has consistently been hiring talent from the community and turning their work into commercial success. There have been some promising HL shorts from people in the community. I bet Valve could be successful with this if they brought in some talented and motivated people to do it.

Good thing they had the sense to not go with Hollywood. *shudder*

Btw, HL never really had any good story or dialogue. What made the game good was the atmosphere and the gameplay. I hope they understand that at least. I feel like the TF2 characters are more developed than Gordon and whatsherface.

News Comments > How Steam Saved Introversion
9. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 25, 2010, 10:19 Tom

starmonkey wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 02:47:
Looking forward to subversion. I hope they use SVN for source control!

Srsly, they use git, that's a NO SALE right there. ZOMG RRAAAGGGHHH!!

News Comments > On APB Support
4. Re: On APB Support Aug 19, 2010, 15:53 Tom

I think many businesspeople hate to keep their failed products alive. They would rather put it completely in the past and devote all available resources to something new that will hopefully work out better.  

News Comments > Age of Empires Online Announced
18. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 16:35 Tom

mag wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 16:21:
bhcompy wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 13:12:
Freelancer was the last decent starfighting game in a genre that is in dire need of more attention

You shut your whore mouth. Freelancer didn't even support joysticks!

Hey, he did say decent. Try naming a decent space sim released after Freelancer.

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Announced
6. Re: Microsoft Flight Announced Aug 17, 2010, 11:23 Tom

Sooo... They cleaned house with Ensemble and ACES, and now they're rebooting this stuff. Who's doing the work?  

News Comments > Mafia II Demo
65. Re: Mafia II Demo Aug 11, 2010, 09:30 Tom

I think Doma is right on the money, except for saying the cops don't care. They were always after me for everything. And once I was "wanted", I was marked for death. They definitely didn't forget me either.

I'm expecting this to still be a good game, but ya, they seem to have sacrificed a lot of good stuff from the first one. It's especially disappointing that all weapons seem to have perfect aim. Hopefully this is due to the auto aim which is a setting but seems to be stuck on for the demo (why?).

1305 Comments. 66 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo