Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1135 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Xpand Rally Xtreme Demo
11. Banal mistakes? Jan 2, 2007, 18:48 Tom

Banal mistakes will cause hitting roadside rocks, walls and other objects.

Just seems a bit odd.

Too bad about the protection. I really liked RBR and would like to try another game along the same lines, provided the physics and controls are good enough. From what I read, the original Xpand Rally was pretty bad in those areas. I'm still waiting to hear if this one is any better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life Rally 2 Hits Brakes
11. Re: omg Dec 29, 2006, 18:48 Tom

Impossible? Doubtful. It comes down to willpower, compromise, and how much code you can stand to rewrite. Besides, when it comes to Source, every single line of code is available for editing, right?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Vista = Big Brother! Dec 28, 2006, 11:44 Tom

Why waste your time with AACS-protected crap when you can just download the same stuff without DRM? Vista can't degrade playback of non-DRM'd stuff AFAIK. All this does is accelerate the death of the obsolete disc-based format. The claim that the draconian DRM enforcement in Vista is a huge problem for the OS seems utterly bogus to me.

MS is doing the masses a big favor by going all out to show how stupid DRM is. Hollywood must be pissed (if anyone there actually has a clue). But aren't they getting just what they asked for?

I feel for the ISVs and IHVs who have to waste time and money on this pipedream.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
25. Re: SoundBlaster X-Fi Issues.... Dec 27, 2006, 18:53 Tom

Hey listen, I hate Creative just as much as the next guy, and I agree with the comments in the article about the current X-Fi drivers being bloated crap. But let's look at the facts. The two motherboards that failed were:

1) One ASUS board, out of three that were all using NForce4 chipsets. Why weren't there problems on the other two?

2) An ECS RS482-M using an ATI chipset. Two loser brands when it comes to motherboards and chipsets. (Ok so that's an opinion.)

So, based on crackling on these two motherboards, the author of this article claims that Creative is to blame, Creative sucks, blah blah blah.

Maybe there is a problem with the X-Fi, maybe there isn't, all I'm saying is that this article provides WAY too little evidence to make any kind of useful statement. And too many people just go along with it because Creative bashing is the in thing. How about finding or making a poll which gathers enough data to make a real conclusion? That would be something useful.

21. Re: SoundBlaster X-Fi Issues.... Dec 27, 2006, 16:53 Tom

The author of this article is kind of lame to claim a general 40% problem rate when he only experienced it on 2 out of 5 motherboards. How many motherboards are available? Hundreds? The only way to get a good idea of how much this is REALLY a problem is to get data from a large number of users and link it with the hardware they're using. For example, something on the scale of what StorageReview does for drive reliability index, or Steam does for gathering info on what hardware people are using.

How would you expect other reviewers to catch this problem unless they're testing on the same tiny subset of motherboards, which is extremely unlikely?

9. Re: Nvidia drivers for g80 Dec 27, 2006, 14:10 Tom

I dunno about bluegears sound cards, but I bought a USB speakerphone device manufactured by them (but sold under a different brand??) and it was unimaginably bad. I had to have my mouth be within an inch or two of the mic in order for the signal to exceed the massive noise level. And the mic ports were located on the BOTTOM of the unit. Tried on 3 PCs with the same result on each.

Oh, and THEIR drivers? Nothing but a .NET program which is set to run on system startup, change the retarded default setting of the device recording its own output, and then continuing to run forever without doing anything. The hardware was the same crap C-Media chipset that gets used in all cheap pieces of USB audio garbage, so it used a driver built into Windows.

7. Re: Nvidia drivers for g80 Dec 27, 2006, 14:04 Tom

Funny how these problems never seem to come up if you use an Intel chipset. I wonder why that is, eh?

News Comments > TOCA 3 Goes amBX
11. Re: No subject Dec 13, 2006, 05:56 Tom

Large LCDs with low resolutions are meant to be used as TVs, not hooked up to PCs.

News Comments > Counter-Strike Prices Hot As A Pistol
5. eh Dec 9, 2006, 18:06 Tom

This is dumb. I'd take the Five Seven over the deagle any day.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Patch
13. Re: Bleh Nov 16, 2006, 17:57 Tom

If I Have to uninstall this game to patch, I wont bother I shall just uninstall

Read the news post, moron:

There is no incremental update, but the full patch for any prior version is on...

Or don't. The less people like you playing this game, the better.

News Comments > Steam RACE
7. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2006, 00:11 Tom

You think they could beat RBR?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Need for Speed: Carbon
1. all-new canyon racing Nov 1, 2006, 23:23 Tom

Wasn't there canyon racing in NFS2?

(keep reading that as crayon racing...)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Ethics and Compliance Oct 18, 2006, 02:07 Tom

It seems pointless, but look at it this way. If there is someone whose job is to be on the lookout for this kind of crap, and offer advice about it, then the company should be less likely to have these problems than if they didn't have someone in that position. That, and they need to do whatever they can to clean up the PR mess they've made here.

News Comments > Trade Wars Remake?
7. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2006, 22:53 Tom

Yeah, gmaes like TW and LORD were great door games for their day, but there's no reason to try and make a new game out of them.

I disagree. As bad as many sequels and remakes are, without iteration, where would be today? Everything would be first generation, original but unrefined. And if someone did something with old tech, it would be off limits when new tech comes around. That's really restrictive if you think about it.

For its time, TW really pushed the envelope when it came to multiplayer network gaming. You can say "it was just a door game" but c'mon, it was pretty innovative. That guy did the best he could with the tech available at that time. If you were him, wouldn't you be thinking that you might be able to make it a much better game with the tech available today? And what about all the gamers now who never had the opportunity to play the game and never will, unless there's a remake?

Sorry, but I think it's a huge mistake to use a bunch of crappy sequels and remakes as justification for not attempting to remake old games.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 22:54.

News Comments > Made Man Demo
32. Re: BTW....Nice Demo Oct 15, 2006, 11:29 Tom

!!! A post about the actual game? You're not supposed to do that!

7. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2006, 15:13 Tom

Hellbinder there is no evidence of a link between video game violence and real violence. And by evidence I mean scientific evidence. There is not even evidence to demonstrate a correlation. Your experiences are anecdotal evidence. Thus not scientific and thus virtually useless in deciding law or policy.

Since when does scientific evidence play a significant role in deciding law or policy?

6. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2006, 15:08 Tom

Why is it that every single game released now is rated M and is as packed as you can get it with senseless killing of normal peopole, tons of foul language, sexual immorality, drug use and every excess you can think of??

Duh, it's because GTA made tons of $$$.

News Comments > BF2142 Demo Issue
45. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2006, 17:57 Tom

At the rate games in general are advancing, I sure as hell hope there is an alternative. The only thing that's really keeping the PC industry in check right now are the consoles. I believe that if it weren't for a strong console industry, the PC gaming industry would outpace storage technologies by a fair bit. It's all hypothetical of course, but from my (what I'd like to believe) educated opinion, and looking at the attitude that persists with high-end hardware, it seems like a reasonable statement.

Outpace? Maybe at least keep pace. C'mon, games are really small these days. My BF2 dir is a mere 2GB. I think UT2004 was one of the biggest games in recent history at what, 4.5GB? When a 500GB drive goes for $200, this is peanuts. And if you look at the history of PC gaming, PC games have fallen farther and farther behind in using up available storage while still pushing the envelope with CPU and graphics card usage.

Consider this. In 1991/1992, a full installation of Wing Commander 2 took 26MB. How much hard drive space did a typical PC gamer have at that time? Maybe 100MB? I think I had 40MB. And I'm pretty sure a 40MB drive then was more expensive than a 500GB drive is now.

So it seems to me that PC games have some serious catching up to do when it comes to using up disk space.

News Comments > Oblivion Expansion Denial
7. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2006, 12:59 Tom

Heh. You folks may whine now, but when that expansion comes out you know you'll be playing it.

1135 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo