Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1183 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Colin McRae: DIRT Patch
8. Re: No subject Jul 23, 2007, 15:57 Tom

I tried the PC demo with a wheel and messed around with the controls for saturation and linearity for like an hour - could never find anything that was anywhere NEAR drivable. (I was stunned to see proper support for multiple controllers, however.) I have no problems with other games like LFS, RBR, GTR, etc. When turning the wheel, the in-game wheel wouldn't turn much until I reached a certain point and then WHAM huge change, and the car veers off to the side. Wheels and analog sticks don't work the same, but this game seems to treat them the same.

I spent about half an hour searching around their forum and it looked like nobody was able to overcome this problem...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Colin McRae: DIRT Patch
6. Re: Just wondering Jul 23, 2007, 14:02 Tom

Seems it was a design decision to just not support a steering wheel. How retarded is that? Oh wait, this is Codemasters we're talking about.

News Comments > Peter Moore Leaves MS, Joins EA
14. MS is in trouble Jul 18, 2007, 01:02 Tom

Don Mattrick is truly infamous. Good luck, MS.

News Comments > GRAW 2 SP Demo
9. Re: 1.77GB???? Jul 5, 2007, 14:19 Tom

1.77GB is nothing. Quit your whining and get some perspective. That would take less than an hour at 5Mbps, the speed I get from the cable ISP rated worst in the US by PC World. It would consume about 39 cents worth of storage. This is NOTHING compared to what people used to download when resources were more constrained, relatively speaking.

News Comments > Auto Assault to End
19. Re: ... Jul 3, 2007, 01:06 Tom

Starlancer was kind of meh, I'd say we haven't had a good space sim since Freespace 2.

Freespace 2 was ok but a little meh too. The space sim is truly an underserved genre. I don't think there have been any truly good space sims other than Wing Commander 2 and Tie Fighter, which is very sad.

News Comments > Crysis Website
7. Re: Official Crysis site Jul 2, 2007, 17:44 Tom

Vista is a very touchy subject. It's easy to see how

With Vista and a good DX10 card your comp will be ready for Crysis.

could be interpreted as

Without Vista, you're gonna be screwed!

especially if someone didn't connect it with the previous post.

News Comments > TrackMania United StarForce-ectomy
13. Re: Good news Jul 2, 2007, 16:55 Tom

Heh yeah right, you know someone's just going to comment out a #define somewhere and run a batch file to rebuild the whole thing. Only a complete moron would code it in the worst case you describe. (Of course, there are plenty of such people programming...)

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
11. Re: WoW jumped the shark Jun 30, 2007, 23:26 Tom

Just because someone doesn't like raiding doesn't mean MMOs aren't their type of game. A lot of people, myself included, happen to think raiding sucks, and there's much more fun to be had in leveling up. Woody outlined the reasons pretty well in his post. But you can only level up so much and then it's over. That's why I quit within a month once I reached 60 and never looked back. Well, there were plenty of other reasons, but that was a big one.

My advice - forget about WoW. There are many things that are more fun and less painful that you can do with your life. Life's too short to waste on WoW!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Meh Jun 30, 2007, 00:53 Tom

Wii?

News Comments > BF2 Stats SNAFU
8. Re: tards Jun 20, 2007, 11:41 Tom

I've never seen vehicle drops beyond the regular (infrequent) rate. That sounds interesting. What I have seen is vehicle drops on helicopters and infantry, which seems to bother some people a lot but I find it hilarious...

7. Re: tards Jun 20, 2007, 11:37 Tom

Oh yeah? I've seen plenty of cheating in CounterStrike over the years. People running faster than they should. Jumping higher. Flying through the air. Shooting through walls. Magically knowing exactly where everyone is. Getting ridiculous numbers of kills or kill/death ratios for no apparent reason.

I haven't seen ANY OF THAT in BF2.

I'm not saying there aren't cheaters in BF2. I'm sure there are. But it isn't nearly as rampant as people around here make it out to be. Either that or my friends and I have been incredibly lucky.

3. tards Jun 20, 2007, 11:06 Tom

I still play this a couple of nights a week with friends on external voice comm. It's a total blast. We join random ranked servers. With 400+ hours into the game, I don't think I've ever experienced a problem with anyone cheating or hacking. And the only bug that I run into every now and then is the game not recognizing my rank or unlocks, so I have to restart the game and reconnect.

I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of this game and expect to continue playing it for some time to come. It's very annoying to see stupid posts on here saying the game is completely broken. Just look at the number of people playing it. There's a LOT. Why would so many people continue to play a completely broken game? It's been a couple of years and there are plenty of other games out there, right?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. FIOS sucks! Jun 20, 2007, 00:15 Tom

Verizon can go to hell. They wired my whole town for FIOS except my street. rrrrrrrrr.........

News Comments > EA's Mac Attack
22. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2007, 07:41 Tom

its not so much a burden as it is a compatibility issue. directx networking uses components that cannot be ported to unix. i.e. active x and dcom.

This is BS. Relatively few games have used DirectPlay, and most of the ones that have have had crappy netcode problems as a result. (Midtown Madness 2 anyone?) MS has even officially deprecated DirectPlay for some time now. The vast majority of games have used Winsock, which is just a simple sockets based API very similar to what's available on other platforms.

News Comments > On UT3 Specs
16. Re: WTF? May 30, 2007, 23:08 Tom

Look the concerns about vista are not fud. Vista has all that drm shit. That's not fud. Right now we don't see the consequences of it all yet, but inevitably we will and I don't think the consumer will like it.

Do you know what FUD is? It's an acronym that stands for Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Basically what you just said:

Fear: You're afraid of the bad consequences of Vista's DRM support.
Uncertainty: What are those bad consequences? I'd say there's a great deal of uncertainty around what those consequences are, will be, and the extent to which they'll affect people.
Doubt: You doubt Vista's worth as a product and are trying to get other people to doubt it.

If you're going to say something about Vista, back up your comments with facts. Otherwise it's just more FUD.

News Comments > On UT3 Specs
8. Re: No subject May 30, 2007, 16:42 Tom

PAE is useless for a game that runs as a single process, unless the game developers jump through hoops and use special API to access the memory (kind of like the expanded/extended memory days of old). 32-bit Windows is limited to a 32-bit address space (4GB) per process no matter what you do. By default, the upper half of that is reserved by the OS. With the /3GB switch you can get another 1GB of address space for the application. (App gets lower 3GB, OS gets upper 1GB.)

News Comments > Dungeon Runners Running
16. Haters May 30, 2007, 09:55 Tom

As expected, tons of negative comments here.

Well, I tried this game on the recommendation of a friend about a month or two ago. At first I thought "wow, this is crappy, low production values". But after I gave it a chance, I found it to be a decent rendition of Diablo 2 in 3D with some nice features to keep the game fast and fun. For example, being able to right-click on anyone in your party and say "Goto" instantly teleports you to them. The classless system is nice. Want to cast spells but also use ranger DOTs? No problem.

If you liked Diablo 2, you'd probably enjoy this game if you gave it a fair chance. It is shallow in some ways and has its share of problems, but it's fun. Note that the free mode is crap and you'll have to pay the $5/month to really have any fun with the game. But you could play it for a couple of months, quit, and still come out ahead of most other games when it comes to value.

Alright, now bring on the shill accusations, bitches.

News Comments > DIRT: Colin McRae Off Road Demo
12. Re: awesome May 24, 2007, 19:14 Tom

RBR may be the best rally game but in terms of racing games it doesn't hold a candle to LFS.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: ColdFusion May 24, 2007, 17:04 Tom

Ok, I see the distinction, but it still seems wrong to me. For an example of something in her list that's RIGHT, see PowerBuilder. Personally I find it offensive to see ColdFusion and PowerBuilder together in a list like this.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: ColdFusion May 24, 2007, 16:04 Tom

ColdFusion is FAR from dead or dying. The author of that article was simply clueless and/or trying to provoke a response.

1183 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo