Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1165 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: ColdFusion May 24, 2007, 17:04 Tom

Ok, I see the distinction, but it still seems wrong to me. For an example of something in her list that's RIGHT, see PowerBuilder. Personally I find it offensive to see ColdFusion and PowerBuilder together in a list like this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: ColdFusion May 24, 2007, 16:04 Tom

ColdFusion is FAR from dead or dying. The author of that article was simply clueless and/or trying to provoke a response.

News Comments > Saturday Hardware Reviews
12. Re: No subject May 13, 2007, 22:00 Tom

I'm really tempted to go for the 8800GTS, but then I'm right back to heat/power/temp/noise problems (maybe). Plus driver problems, although I only care about XP right now. Native resolution for my LCD is 1600x1200, and I really would like to be doing anti-aliasing at that resolution.

Thing is, the X1900XT had good performance at 1600x1200 with anti-aliasing, and according to the specs the 7950GT seems to have even higher theoretical fill rate than the X1900XT. Still, for a very demanding game like Oblivion, there's no question the 8800GTS would be better...

Guess I'll just have to wait another couple of weeks and see what happens once ATI releases their new cards.

9. Re: No subject May 13, 2007, 18:13 Tom

Believe me, I've thought about swapping out the cooler, but it's not very attractive for the following reasons: 1) I only have one PCI Express gfx card - no backups. 2) I've read about some people killing their cards trying to install this stuff, and also some very critical comments about the design of the Accelero X2. 3) I'd rather put the money into a better card. 4) I'm pretty sure my card is toasted, since it's artifacting at much lower temps than it used to run fine at. 5) None of the third party coolers exhaust the heat from the case, although I hope my case fans would take care of that ok.

Also, I don't see the 7950GT as much of a downgrade from the 1900XT. According to this table it's really pretty close:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/vidtable/table.html

6. Re: No subject May 13, 2007, 15:38 Tom

Also very concerned about temps. My 1900XT regularly ran at 80-90C with the fan sounding like a vacuum cleaner. After awhile the geometry started artifacting. To prevent that, I now have it underclocked to 75% of original clocks, running games at lower res with details turned down, and it still happens sometimes. Fan settings are set aggressively with ATITool (it ramps up to LOUD at 61C, SUPER LOUD at 65C, and rock concert^jet engine at 69C). Now it idles at 55C and peaks at 60-65C depending on the game. At least it's never crashed on me. But it's so noisy.. even at idle the fan (at 27%) is totally audible and is by far the loudest thing in my case.

I can't wait to buy a new card. Power consumption, operating temperatures, and noise level will be primary purchasing factors. If any of those have to be sacrificed for performance, forget about it! So far it sounds like the 2900XT is another step in the wrong direction, but at least it should help drive down prices of more reasonable cards.

I'm actually seriously considering the XFX GeForce 7950GT. It's passively cooled and should get good coverage by the 120mm exhaust fan just above the gfx card slot in my case (P180B). Anyone have experience with this card or other passively cooled cards (that aren't totally weak)?

News Comments > KOTOR MMORPG?
9. Re: apples, oranges Apr 25, 2007, 21:56 Tom

Agreed, MMOs are crap and I don't see that changing anytime soon. If they are indeed working on an MMO, it doesn't matter whether it's for consoles, PCs, or both. It's an MMO. /ignore

4. LMNOPRAM Apr 16, 2007, 19:09 Tom

Looks like Intel is one step closer. Maybe they're aiming to be graphics king after all:
http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/35a796d8/5e08eed6

NVIDIA needs to step it up. 8800GTX cards aren't long enough yet.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Art Assets Exonerated?
11. Outcome Apr 16, 2007, 18:58 Tom

Great PR for Marlin eh?

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Microsoft is dead Apr 8, 2007, 14:55 Tom

I used to develop with it but came to despise it's thin-wrapper approach, choked with weird macros.

It sounds like you're talking about MFC and/or ATL. I was talking about Visual C++ 6.0, the IDE and compiler. Sure, Visual C++ gave you templates, wizards, and some GUI for MFC and ATL related development. Did you have to use that stuff? No. Did it get in the way if you didn't use it? No.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Microsoft is dead Apr 8, 2007, 12:56 Tom

When it comes to programming languages, use the right tool for the job. Your friend is right about .NET - it's very attractive in many situations. And it's not so stubbornly platform-specific. I recently witnessed a large .NET class library that was only ever developed on Windows, for Windows, working just fine on Mono on Linux.

Anyway, .NET is really good stuff but it still has its weak points, isn't appropriate for every situation, can be abused by developers (*cough* ATI *cough*), and you are right to treat it with caution. Do your homework. Look at the key players who developed .NET, their backgrounds, and why they did it. Look at the promises made and what has actually been delivered. You'll likely come to the same conclusion as your friend.

By the way, did you ever develop with Visual C++ 6.0? Would you classify that as a weapon, and not a useful tool for real users? I wouldn't. When you say "they", when referring to Microsoft, who are you referring to anyway? All Microsoft employees? They don't all have the same agenda, you know.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2007, 23:34 Tom

Silly me. It's right here:
http://www.archive.org/details/ta2006-06-24

2. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2007, 23:29 Tom

Anyone know where I can get the Marble Madness music from that Rube Goldberg video? Sounded kinda like Minibosses to me but their web site is sucking pretty badly these days.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Testing
15. Re: Played Mar 21, 2007, 08:07 Tom

Or how about "enemy boat spotted"? In the middle of land? On infantry only?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Cool. Mar 18, 2007, 15:18 Tom

Didn't know they ever made graphics cards in the Czech Republic.

3. Re: No subject Mar 16, 2007, 16:26 Tom

A 16GB flash drive just might be big enough. Shockingly, these are only $140 on Newegg at the moment... I wonder if you could really get Vista to boot off it though.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: No subject Mar 8, 2007, 15:19 Tom

It's a simple line of thinking. Developer resources are finite. The more powerful the system, the more pressure there is to disproportionately spend (waste) them on fancy graphics. As for making successful (fun-contributing) AI, I agree with those who say it's less a matter of horsepower and more a matter of clever coding.

I think a lot of people learned something about this stuff with how things turned out between the DS and PSP. Apparently, Chris Hecker is not one of those people.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Supreme Commander
25. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2007, 18:03 Tom

hold down the middle mouse button to pan without having to move the pointer to the edge of the map.

Yes, this is what I meant by handpanning. There is a tradition of showing the mouse cursor as a hand while you're in the process of doing this. Anyway, anyone who's done this in both Warcraft 3 and Supreme Commander will notice the huge difference. It isn't the easiest thing to implement correctly, especially in 3D. But wow, it sure is rock solid in Warcraft 3...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Supreme Commander
18. Minimap drag? Feb 20, 2007, 16:40 Tom

Liked the demo but found one UI aspect to be lacking compared to Warcraft 3. I can't seem to drag the view around in the minimap. How are you supposed to quickly pan the view around? Zooming and handpanning / arrow keys only? Zooming takes awhile and is annoying if I was already at a good zoom level. Handpanning is slow and unresponsive compared to Warcraft 3. Arrow keys are okay, but a bit slow and imprecise.

My computer runs the game just fine, btw. E6700 w/ X1900XT @ 1600x1200 on high settings.

News Comments > Sunday Q&As
6. !!! Feb 18, 2007, 14:24 Tom

These are the real Precursors!!

http://www.medievalfuture.com/precursors/

2. Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 22:07 Tom

100% agreed. I've been visiting every day since the Quake Rag days and Tweakboy is by far the most annoying thing that's ever happened to this site. Lodge a complaint with his ISP if you have to. If what he's doing isn't messageboard spam, I don't know what is. Surely it violates some TOS.

You may also want to consider disallowing links in people's signatures. People should be posting comments here to stimulate useful conversation (haha) ... not hocking their pathetic wares.

1165 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo