Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1115 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. roflcopter TTS Sep 9, 2006, 14:50 Tom

Anyone know what that roflcopter video used for text-to-speech?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Romanians in Space Sep 2, 2006, 17:41 Tom

The trailers for this game are a bit ... different.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Image Labeler Sep 2, 2006, 17:22 Tom

Decided to try a couple more. How would you label these?

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:ng4sEstvMukJ:www.google.com
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:92TgyzkC468J:www.google.com

Might be able to come up with something if only they were just a *little* bigger? So you're telling me the size is just fine?

First one - pass. Second one - space, stars.

Sure, there are images that are too small to recognize. In my opinion, they're in the minority, and are an expected and legitimate part of the game. Instead of getting frustrated about them, how about looking at them as an opportunity for creative thinking ("ancient manuscript", "old sheet music") and quick decision making (pass)?

Even if they did let you go visit the larger image, that would be a waste of time. For example, do a Google image search and click on some of the images. Record how long it takes to actually get the larger image. I don't know about you, but it takes a minimum of several seconds, usually longer, and sometimes you can't get them period. It could easily vary between the participants as well, bringing them uncontrollably out of sync.

9. Re: Image Labeler Sep 2, 2006, 14:47 Tom

Er, get your eyes checked? The images are the same size as the ones shown in Google Image Search, and that seems to work fine for people...

7. VoIP Sep 2, 2006, 12:11 Tom

I just tried playing this with my mom who lives several thousand miles away. I was on voice with her and using radmin to control her computer. Since she's a slow typist and this game rewards fast typists, I did all the typing, serving as a human speech recognition/dictation interface. But when she missed obvious things like the ubiquitous man/woman, I would fill those in. So it turned more cooperative, although I ran radmin at a low color depth for maximum responsiveness and couldn't see the images terribly clearly.

Just another way to enjoy this game.

6. Re: Funny Sep 2, 2006, 11:41 Tom

Well, sometimes you get a good partner, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you get good images, sometimes you don't. Although, if you have a good partner, you can either get the more difficult images or pass quickly enough that it works out ok. My first couple times happened to go pretty well (got 1200 points on the 3rd try) but I can easily imagine someone getting crap partners and images a few times and giving up.

You should try it a few more times and see if you can get a good partner. There's a surprising amount of emergent gameplay. People around here are always saying they want coop. This is a great coop experience.

1. Image Labeler Sep 1, 2006, 22:22 Tom

Holy crap. What a great idea, and brilliantly executed. Major kudos to whoever thought this up at Google. Sure, you could look at this as doing their grunt work for them for free, and it's certainly not a keeper, but actually it is a lot more fun (and useful) than many of the little Flash games linked to from here...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. UDP accelerator! Aug 31, 2006, 20:28 Tom

Because UDP is so complicated, you know.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
5. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2006, 14:32 Tom

I guess you haven't heard what Sweeny and co. have been saying about next-gen Unreal engine development tools. It's their own tools that are happy to benefit from 4GB+ RAM, hence their early enthusiasm for the Athlon 64.

News Comments > Verizon Lures Gamers
3. Re: Cute... Aug 10, 2006, 20:55 Tom

Verizon wired my town and the surrounding towns for FiOS. But they decided my street wasn't worth it... So I'm stuck paying $15 more for an unreliable cable modem service that gives 1/4th the speed. Who should I hate more? Verizon or my crappy cable modem company?

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Patch
18. Re: GRAW Aug 3, 2006, 20:11 Tom

Wow, Igor. That's the most obnoxious post I've seen here in awhile. And that's really saying something. Congrats.

News Comments > Help Wanted
1. Correction Jul 27, 2006, 11:08 Tom

Iron Lore's office is not in Boston, MA. It's in Maynard, MA. Home of the once-great DEC!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: LCD Insight Jul 18, 2006, 11:42 Tom

how good are LCDs at interpolating for lower resolutions? Is the blurring tolerable or unbearable?

Depends on the LCD, how far down you're going from native, and the kind of stuff you're displaying. I'm currently running Oblivion at 1280x960 on a Dell 2001FP (native 1600x1200) and the quality is pretty good - it doesn't seem blurry, and it's almost like a free low quality FSAA. However, it does introduce a certain kind of aliasing effect. It didn't affect text or small details, but rather long, straight edges that were at slight angles. The effect was very noticible to me at first, but the framerate difference going from 1600x1200 to 1280x960 was so enormous that I decided to stick it out. After a few hours I got totally used to it and it's rarely noticible anymore.

However, going down to 1024x768 or lower is too much of a stretch for me. There's too much aliasing/pixelation, even though it's done in a smooth way. It looks bad in motion.

*Maybe* 1280x1024 to 1024x768 is not too much of a stretch. However, be careful about the aspect ratio. 1280x1024 is not the standard 4:3. If you run the LCD at 1024x768 or 800x600, the picture will either get stretched or there will be some blank area.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Beta Patch
7. Re: Sigh Jul 15, 2006, 01:44 Tom

why is it whenever there is a news item about this game it gets like 20,000 fucking replies?

It's because the game is popular, and with good reason. Despite the bugs it's fun. People enjoy playing it. Although you would never know it from the posts around here.

News Comments > New Oblivion Quest Coming
21. wah wah wah Jun 2, 2006, 08:50 Tom

Every Oblivion thread here is the same.. you guys are such a bunch of whiners. The game is great. It comes with a huge amount of content and a lot of *fun* quests. These add-ons are NOT stuff that should've been in the game but was excluded. If you don't like this strategy, show them by not buying it. If you think future games are going to abuse this strategy by leaving stuff out of the game, then those games will suck and there will be corresponding backlash. Oblivion is not such a game.

And has it ever occurred to you idiots that the people working on the extra content are not the same people who are working on the patch?

STFU!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Nvidia posts Vista beta driver May 24, 2006, 10:13 Tom

the driver comes with a Vista "inspired" control panel

Translation: it sucks.

a feature that allows switching between a classic (legacy) and the new interface

Translation: they know it sucks.

News Comments > Nintendo: Why Ask Wii?
23. Archaic kana Apr 27, 2006, 15:55 Tom

Anyone know if this is the name being used in Japan also? Would it be written with the archaic kana 'wi' then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_kana_usage

News Comments > Wizard's Tower for Oblivion
3. Re: and soon... Apr 24, 2006, 23:42 Tom

There is nothing new for Bethesda to learn. YOU are the one who needs to learn. Bethesda already knew lots of people would steal their stuff. They also knew lots of people would buy it. If they keep on releasing it, it means enough people are buying it to make it worth their while.

News Comments > New Live for Speed
8. Sauber F1 Apr 22, 2006, 11:41 Tom

Wow. I never expected that a modern F1 car could be so fun to drive. I spent about 3 hours with my teammates on voice last night just driving the heck out of that F1 car. It's so fast... but so controllable. Even with the traction control turned off, I could do 10 consecutive laps without a spin, despite being new to the car. At first I thought maybe the new physics were too easy? But it still feels extremely realistic, and you DO have to be careful with that throttle. Launches sure are interesting without traction control on.

I've also been playing LFS since the very beginning, and it's undoubtedly the best racing sim ever created. For max fun, make sure you 1) use a wheel and 2) get on voice with some friends while you're racing. What a blast.

The only weakness is that the netcode is TCP-based, which means that if your network connection craps out for more than a few seconds, you get booted from the server. This really sucks when you're an hour into a two hour league race...

1115 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo