Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1156 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Microsoft is dead Apr 8, 2007, 12:56 Tom

When it comes to programming languages, use the right tool for the job. Your friend is right about .NET - it's very attractive in many situations. And it's not so stubbornly platform-specific. I recently witnessed a large .NET class library that was only ever developed on Windows, for Windows, working just fine on Mono on Linux.

Anyway, .NET is really good stuff but it still has its weak points, isn't appropriate for every situation, can be abused by developers (*cough* ATI *cough*), and you are right to treat it with caution. Do your homework. Look at the key players who developed .NET, their backgrounds, and why they did it. Look at the promises made and what has actually been delivered. You'll likely come to the same conclusion as your friend.

By the way, did you ever develop with Visual C++ 6.0? Would you classify that as a weapon, and not a useful tool for real users? I wouldn't. When you say "they", when referring to Microsoft, who are you referring to anyway? All Microsoft employees? They don't all have the same agenda, you know.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2007, 23:34 Tom

Silly me. It's right here:
http://www.archive.org/details/ta2006-06-24

2. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2007, 23:29 Tom

Anyone know where I can get the Marble Madness music from that Rube Goldberg video? Sounded kinda like Minibosses to me but their web site is sucking pretty badly these days.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Testing
15. Re: Played Mar 21, 2007, 08:07 Tom

Or how about "enemy boat spotted"? In the middle of land? On infantry only?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Cool. Mar 18, 2007, 15:18 Tom

Didn't know they ever made graphics cards in the Czech Republic.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: No subject Mar 16, 2007, 16:26 Tom

A 16GB flash drive just might be big enough. Shockingly, these are only $140 on Newegg at the moment... I wonder if you could really get Vista to boot off it though.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: No subject Mar 8, 2007, 15:19 Tom

It's a simple line of thinking. Developer resources are finite. The more powerful the system, the more pressure there is to disproportionately spend (waste) them on fancy graphics. As for making successful (fun-contributing) AI, I agree with those who say it's less a matter of horsepower and more a matter of clever coding.

I think a lot of people learned something about this stuff with how things turned out between the DS and PSP. Apparently, Chris Hecker is not one of those people.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Supreme Commander
25. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2007, 18:03 Tom

hold down the middle mouse button to pan without having to move the pointer to the edge of the map.

Yes, this is what I meant by handpanning. There is a tradition of showing the mouse cursor as a hand while you're in the process of doing this. Anyway, anyone who's done this in both Warcraft 3 and Supreme Commander will notice the huge difference. It isn't the easiest thing to implement correctly, especially in 3D. But wow, it sure is rock solid in Warcraft 3...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Supreme Commander
18. Minimap drag? Feb 20, 2007, 16:40 Tom

Liked the demo but found one UI aspect to be lacking compared to Warcraft 3. I can't seem to drag the view around in the minimap. How are you supposed to quickly pan the view around? Zooming and handpanning / arrow keys only? Zooming takes awhile and is annoying if I was already at a good zoom level. Handpanning is slow and unresponsive compared to Warcraft 3. Arrow keys are okay, but a bit slow and imprecise.

My computer runs the game just fine, btw. E6700 w/ X1900XT @ 1600x1200 on high settings.

News Comments > Sunday Q&As
6. !!! Feb 18, 2007, 14:24 Tom

These are the real Precursors!!

http://www.medievalfuture.com/precursors/

2. Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 22:07 Tom

100% agreed. I've been visiting every day since the Quake Rag days and Tweakboy is by far the most annoying thing that's ever happened to this site. Lodge a complaint with his ISP if you have to. If what he's doing isn't messageboard spam, I don't know what is. Surely it violates some TOS.

You may also want to consider disallowing links in people's signatures. People should be posting comments here to stimulate useful conversation (haha) ... not hocking their pathetic wares.

News Comments > Taking the Piss Out of Vista
47. Re: Games For Windows Jan 12, 2007, 19:47 Tom

Given how heavily Microsoft is pushing the parental controls, it will be very likely used by many users...

Love the logic there.

We're talking about PARENTAL CONTROLS here. A prerequisite of parental controls being used is parents caring about their kids and what they do on their computers. Haven't we established a million times here that this is the exception rather than the rule? Plus, kids are smart enough to get around any parental controls anyway.

46. Re: Games For Windows Jan 12, 2007, 19:44 Tom

More extensive Q&A testing???

Say it ain't so!

42. Re: Games For Windows Jan 12, 2007, 18:37 Tom

The "suicide note" is FUD, plain and simple. Just look at the title of the thing! Or better yet, read the entire article and consider the tone. Does it sound like analysis or rant?

As for a horrible track record for security, sure, it's true. But they're not the only ones with security flaws. Everyone has them. So MS pours all kinds of resources into improving in this area... Nobody says they're going to get it all right this time. Nobody's perfect and you can't make a complex system work perfectly. But it should be a big step up from where things were at with XP.

Btw, I'm probably not upgrading to Vista until I NEED to for something. I just think that if you're going to bash Vista, you should do it right. For an example of how NOT to do it, refer to 1) comments in this thread and 2) badvista.org. Unless you WANT to sound like an idiot, that is.

31. Re: Putting the Piss Into Vista Jan 12, 2007, 16:03 Tom

Woohoo! Vista FUDfest 2007!

News Comments > E for All
17. Re: and who? Jan 6, 2007, 13:17 Tom

Game music was great until it transitioned to wave audio. Complete technical freedom stifles creativity and innovation. Why? A motivated musician who has to work within some technical limitations will have the ability to attempt to get the most out of the available hardware. The music itself had to be better to offset the technical limitations. That whole push to make the most of things just vanished when we moved to wave audio.

News Comments > Subversion Revealed
2. Re: Using Subversion to track Subversion Jan 4, 2007, 23:50 Tom

Heh, my first thought on seeing this story too!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: 32GB drive for notebook Jan 4, 2007, 14:07 Tom

Agreed, this is a huge question for me. How much use does it take to make one of these things fail? Are they really fit for use as a system drive that'll take a beating? Forget the Windows swap file, try loading some BF2 maps... It would suck to be wondering during every load time whether or not you're cutting days off the life of the drive. (Or is it ONLY writes that hurt, and reads have no effect?)

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 14:08.

News Comments > HL2 Pirates Vikings and Knights II
9. Powder kegs Jan 3, 2007, 10:29 Tom

This mod is really fun! Silly, but surprisingly fun. It's all about the powder kegs. I can't recall an explosion in any other game that isn't topped by this one. The graphics, the sound, the devastation ... it's beautiful.

News Comments > Xpand Rally Xtreme Demo
13. Re: No subject Jan 2, 2007, 19:11 Tom

Thanks for the recommendation. But actually, I've been playing LFS on a regular basis for years, part of a team, in a couple of leagues, etc. It's a blast, and I doubt anything else will come close to its physics and controls anytime soon. But, it doesn't have rally. Rallycross is fun too, but it's an entirely different experience.

1156 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo