Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1283 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
25. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 21, 2015, 12:42 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 11:25:
Right, I think going right to crap port at this point is a bit fast. But I love how you go the other way, "I'll judge by playing it", assuming that is after you bought it. The point is to know what to buy and not first, not buy and then learn you shouldn't have.
Whoa whoa. Who says I'm going to buy and then learn I shouldn't have? Maybe I'll play the demo on NVIDIA GRID or something.

Or more likely, just watch some [relatively] regular folks playing on YouTube first.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
6. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 21, 2015, 10:29 Tom

There's no evidence here that it's a crap port. If you just wanna be negative for the sake of being negative, have at it - it's quite a tradition here. Personally I'll judge it for myself by playing it. They have a pretty good track record with the previous two games IMO.  

News Comments > Atari and Llamasoft Spar Over Tempest Game
6. Re: Atari and Llamasoft Spar Over Tempest Game Mar 19, 2015, 18:17 Tom

I played the VR demo of TxK with the DK2. I never played any previous Tempest game, but this one was pretty cool. Definitely one of the most technically solid VR games I've seen. Other programmers could learn a thing or two from this guy.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 14, 2015, 20:47 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 19:17:
The analogy is true in another way too. Like Ebola, Google fiber showed up in just a few locations in the US and then spread to nowhere else. At its current rate of growth it will be a threat to Comcast and TWC in around the year 2142.
Very good. Please keep on believing that, and convince all your friends.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2015, 13:30 Tom

These stories deserve to be told without the sensationalist hyperbole.  

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
27. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 08:52 Tom

Descent without single player is not Descent IMO. This KS is pretty sketchy I think. Seems like it could easily be another "cash in on nostalgia, make bank on another mediocre 'reboot'" type situation. I hope it somehow works out, but no way am I funding it.  

News Comments > HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed
26. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 1, 2015, 20:17 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 16:22:
What could they've afford to bring to the mass market with just their KS money, I think it shows they had to be bought out. Could be wrong. I do agree they would have been forced to release something by now. So the question is are we better served getting something decent out there or waiting a looong time for something really good? I think both sides are debatable.
If they hadn't done the buyout, things would've gone differently for sure. They didn't have to do the buyout. They could've released something with just the KS money. It would've probably come out sooner and not been as good as DK2, but probably still enough to be profitable and start moving towards critical mass if they kept at it. It's just hard to say no when someone offers you $2B. *sigh*

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 16:22:
As for price, you are right $3000 Star Citizen dude might not care. But I do and many others I'm sure. If it is above $400 will there be a market to develop for to get it going? Sony's $800 attempts aren't even known to the main PC gaming community. How is Samsung doing with there hybrid?
Sony's $800 attempts aren't known because they're entirely useless for gaming. They're not VR headsets. They're HMDs for watching movies. HUGE difference there. If they delivered on the promise of the Oculus Rift, I don't doubt for a second that people would be buying them in droves even at $800 a pop. Not all the casual/mainstream folks, but not just $3000 Star Citizen guy either.

The way technology used to be, there'd be an expensive product that was cutting edge and groundbreaking, probably flawed in some ways (maybe even deeply) but still worthwhile and successful. Then there'd be a bunch of cheap crap that tried to deliver the same thing but mostly failed. Then over time the cheap stuff would get better and the good stuff would get cheaper and an equilibrium would be reached.

Now, companies try to preempt the "race to the bottom" and start off targeting the low price point right out of the gate because of this misguided belief that "it won't sell" if it's too expensive. If it's a great product, it will sell even if it's expensive. History has shown that and it's still true today. Look at how many people pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for Apple products even when they could get stuff that is almost as good for half the price or less. Now imagine a product where there is no cheaper alternative that's almost as good. That's where we're at with VR, or at least probably will be once someone finally ships a real consumer product. Yet these companies still want to sacrifice quality and target the low end. It's sad.

4. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 1, 2015, 16:13 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 15:36:
Two 1080P screens, in the VR world is that considered a 1080P overall screen (stereoscope) or is that better since it is two?
"overall screen" is irrelevant in VR. What matters is the level of detail visible when you're looking at the screen in VR. That's determined by the pixel density of the display, the optics, and the image processing/distortion. You can't compare it directly to looking at a 2D screen outside of VR. Still, two 1080p screens are unlikely to be that much better than the one in the DK2 in my opinion.

They mention no 4K, no one expected that because what thee hell will be driving to 4k panels?
Yeah, as great as 4K would be, that won't be coming to VR anytime soon due to cost of developing the display (let alone manufacturing it), the other components that would be needed, and the required GPU power to drive such a display at a high framerate. Only hopelessly unrealistic rabid VR fanboys expected Oculus Rift CV1 to have a 4K display and I think most of them have finally (reluctantly) come down to earth.

We'll see, OR does deserve some of this, taking too long. It would have been a KS fail if they didn't get the Facebook cash.
Come on. If they didn't do the FB deal or something similar, don't you think things would've played out differently? Or you think that really had no influence on their planning and decisions?

Cost??
Who cares. The higher the better, I say. If they can use a higher price point to deliver a correspondingly higher quality experience, plenty of people will pay. There's plenty of time for prices to come down as time and technology advance.

1. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 1, 2015, 15:25 Tom

This is going to get real interesting. Oculus needs a better counter than "here's a new version of Gear VR". Beating Valve+HTC to market with a PC product by 6 months and fixing their software problems would be a good start.

Hopefully this space won't end up focused on the mobile experience too much to the detriment of PC-based products. Phones don't have the compute capacity necessary to fulfill the true potential of VR. The form factor is designed to trade off capability for mobility.

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
28. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 19:53 Tom

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 19:40:
Kind of weird to see the difference of opinions on here and elsewhere. I would have figured this to be a resounding victory but it seems a lot of comments here treat this as 'bad' or 'meh' at best.
It's an older crowd here, for the most part. Old, bitter, and cynical.

But you don't have to be a government lover to hate the ISPs. They've absolutely earned every bit of profit-sucking regulation that comes their way. If only they would get broken up or replaced and the executives sent to prison. Like that would ever happen, though. Ah, one can dream.

News Comments > SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week
21. Re: SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week Feb 23, 2015, 22:57 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 21:48:
What get me about a year or so ago, I thought they laid off the team, shared a little knowledge to OR, said some inherent problems not over come, perhaps I may even recall some of the laid off team doing something on kickstarter.
They laid off Jeri Ellsworth, apparently due to office politics and/or personality/culture clash. She got Gabe's permission to continue her AR work as her own project, CastAR, which did have a Kickstarter.

Slick wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 21:35:
the best oculus game out there is called WindLands. but beware, no other game will come close as far as that "feeling" of movement and immersion, so i'd recommend doing it last.
Ugh. I don't get what people see in Windlands. There are plenty of better things out there than that in my opinion. Assetto Corsa, Vox Machinae, Elite: Dangerous, TxK, and even little demos like Lava, Inc. and Ocean Rift. The recently released Apollo 11 demo was pretty cool too.

Slick wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 21:35:
All they really need to do to win the VR race is develop some middleware like VorpX is trying to do, which is porting existing games to use the oculus.
That doesn't really make any sense. VorpX is not middleware. Middleware is a library a game developer can integrate into their game so they don't have to re-invent the wheel. Examples of middleware include Bink for playing video, Speedtree for rendering trees and foliage, etc. VorpX is an attempt to make money from VR enthusiasts by hacking Oculus Rift support for games that were never designed for VR. A rather successful attempt. It's good at what it does.

Anyone who has used VorpX or similar and also played games specifically designed for VR will understand the difference. It's a big one.

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
17. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 20:14 Tom

It's BS, guys.

I've written several 3D engines built on D3D over the years. If you get a 900% improvement going from one version of D3D to another, it doesn't mean the new D3D is that much better. It means *you're doing it wrong*. Or more to the point, you're getting PAID (directly or indirectly) to promote the new API.

In real-world applications, there are major limits to how much improvement can be derived from switching to a better graphics API. As people in this thread have already mentioned, just look at Mantle as an example.

News Comments > Pollen Warning
5. Re: Pollen Warning Feb 17, 2015, 23:29 Tom

Developer interview and more info here.

I'm not going to get my hopes up too much, but Finnish folks generally do quality work. Looking forward to trying this in the Rift.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 5, 2015, 17:41 Tom

Ecthelion wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 15:03:
Tablets are a little better, but still no replacement for a keyboard.
People use keyboards with tablets quite a bit. Or at least, they have them. The other day I watched an executive with one of those keyboard folio thingies tapping away on the on-screen keyboard of his iPad while the physical keyboard sat in front of him, unused. *facepalm*

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 21:14 Tom

Don't like the ABP whitelist? Go into the filter preferences and uncheck the box that says "Allow some non-intrusive advertising". Problem solved. It takes about 5 seconds, or maybe a minute or two if you're really bad at finding settings.

This seems to come up every 6 months or so and everyone conveniently overlooks how easy it is to opt out of the ABP whitelist. At least this article explains that ABP is trying to get ads to conform to some minimum standard of decency and strike a balance.

My stance is, if you're a content creator or publisher, find a better business model than subjecting your visitors to the atrocities of web advertising. Nobody browsing the web is safe without ABP or similar. Per-site exceptions are a waste of time too because no matter how great the site is, the site owner is not going to hand-screen every ad that gets run. Inevitably, some scumbag will put something harmful out there. Screw that. Find a better business model.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 21:02 Tom

I live in a city where TWC is the only ISP providing non-DSL wireline service. This is true of this entire area and most of the state, and not just rural areas - cities. They are the only choice. They set up a monopoly and they abuse the hell out of it. They write the laws and bribe the politicians to pass them to make sure there won't ever be any competition. And this is typical all over the United States. This is a million times worse than anything Microsoft ever did with their monopoly and look what happened to them. WE NEED REGULATION when corporations get this abusive! It can't be tolerated. How are we supposed to vote with our wallets when the ballot has been rigged to only have one option? The only way to vote is with our feet by moving to another region of the country, or another country altogether, and that is totally unacceptable. We deserve better than this.

Last month TWC sent me a letter saying my promotional rate had expired but they were "pleased" to continue offering me a "special promotional rate" in return for me being a loyal customer and all. The old promotional rate was $65/month for 50/5. The new promotional rate was $97/month. I looked online and the ONLY price listed anywhere is the $65. They won't tell you what the non-promotional rate is! So I promptly called em up on the good ol' telephone and I said F that, I ain't payin' that! I said if $97 is a promotional rate, what is the non-promotional rate? $107, the nice lady told me, after digging around for a few minutes. That's $107 for 50/5. Google Fiber's price (in Kansas City anyway) is $70 for 1000/1000. Yes, that's 20 times faster for downloading and 200 times faster for uploading, for 65% of the cost.

"Well Google cheats, they're not a real ISP, they're not available except in a handful of cities, etc" you might say. Ok fine, how about Verizon FiOS then? My friend pays them $100/month for 150/150. That's 3 times faster downloading and 30 times faster uploading and STILL LESS than TWC's non-promotional rate.

When I told the TWC rep there was no way in hell I was paying $97 for 50/5, she got back to me after a few minutes and said she "found a promotion" for $77. I said no thanks, how much does the next most expensive tier cost? After clearing up her confusion about what a "tier" is, she told me I could pay $67 for 30/5.

So now I pay $2 more a month for 60% of the download speed I was getting. Let's put this in dollars per Mbps for downloading and compare. I now pay $2.23/Mbps, my FiOS friend pays $0.67/Mbps, and those Google Fiber LPBs in Kansas pay $0.07/Mbps. So my service is currently 3.3x more expensive than FiOS and 32x more expensive than Google Fiber.

Then there's the upload direction where I pay a ridiculous $13.40/Mbps. This is 20 times more expensive than FiOS and 191 times more expensive than Google Fiber.

TWC can die in a fire. So can Comcast and the rest of them.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2015, 22:10.

News Comments > H1Z1 Refunds
16. Re: H1Z1 Refunds Jan 16, 2015, 21:14 Tom

I'm totally fine with this game sucking right now. As long as there's potential for it to evolve into legit competition in this space, that's a good thing. Everyone could benefit from that.

Last time I fired up Rust my mouse stopped working after a few minutes of "playing". I terminated Rust using the keyboard alone. The mouse still wouldn't function until I rebooted. True story.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 12, 2015, 20:34 Tom

Oh boy here we go with the delusions!

Well, it's your money, and there are certainly worse things you could spend it on.

News Comments > Minecraft Name Changes Next Month
3. Re: Minecraft Name Changes Next Month Jan 12, 2015, 20:23 Tom

NOT what I expected from the headline.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
40. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 21:34 Tom

Ok I take it back, I guess it can be hard, but there are solutions. Again, if you want to do DCS, you have to do this. Clearly a lot of people have been successful at it.

I normally use my regular desk for flight/space sims right now. From left to right it goes trim wheel, throttle, keyboard, stick, mouse. The keyboard is in the center. When I'm not using the stick I move it forward on the desk so that the mouse can be in its normal position just to the right of the keyboard.

I've also tried using a custom-built racing cockpit for flight/space sim in the Rift and that's a bit different of a setup. The stick is in the center, throttle to the left, keyboard to the left of that. Mouse is to the right. It'd be a little awkward for an FPS to have the keyboard that far to the left, but probably manageable. It'd be nice to have an easy way to move the stick back so the keyboard can end up in the center.

1283 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo