Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1183 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 8, 2014, 18:34 Tom

The people who didn't get paid always had the option to quit and find a job somewhere else. But hey, that would take some personal responsibility which is so uncool these days, so let's blame the guys at the top instead! Well good luck finding a job when Crytek is no more, after having badmouthed your company in public. That always goes over real well with prospective employers. Maybe they can become taxi drivers - by all accounts, the game industry sucks to work in anyway.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora Open Beta
5. Re: DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora Open Beta Aug 8, 2014, 18:25 Tom

DCS terrain includes Georgia and southern Russia. It does not include Crimea.  

News Comments > Wing Commander 3 Free on Origin
25. Re: Wing Commander 3 Free on Origin Aug 5, 2014, 23:21 Tom

Well I just played a few sim runs and the first mission. Worked fine with my TM Warthog, very impressive. I did have to hit Ctrl+J at the beginning of every flight to switch to joystick mode.

No scanlines in the video. Heck of a lot of pixels and cheese though. Man, WC2 just had so much more class it's not even funny. Ahh, if only technology could've kept things hand-drawn for at least another game or two.

19. Re: Wing Commander 3 Free on Origin Aug 5, 2014, 19:13 Tom

Hmm yep, DOSBox. Wow, that worked super easily. And it even detected and worked with my joystick properly! Amazing. I didn't have time to do anything more than get through all of the (long) intro for now. Will try the actual gameplay later.

Hint: Alt+X quits the game.

16. Re: Wing Commander 3 Free on Origin Aug 5, 2014, 18:39 Tom

Yeah, all the whining about Origin/Steam is pretty old at this point, but expected. Some of those people will get over it eventually, others won't. Whatever.

I'm curious how WC3 runs on modern systems. I haven't tried it since its original release. Back then I wasn't a big fan. WC2 was (and still is) my all-time favorite game, yet WC3 wasn't nearly as good. The plot, characters, artwork, mission design ... none of it was as good as WC2 as I recall. But I'm curious to take another look. It has been ... 20 years. Ack.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
40. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 20:34 Tom

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 16:11:
Instead of fixing shit they did indeed just add a towel, a buggy stunt course (extremely immersing feature right there) and a fish tank with space fish. Awesome.

The framework is horrible. You can't customize controls, you only have very barebone options to tweak visuals or performance, there is no multi GPU support, nothing. Everything is shitty and broken. I get that it's alpha but there should be at least a certain basis to work from.

Basic enough stuff has been broken for long enough that it gives me very little confidence the correct leadership is in place to ensure a good outcome for this project.

Elite on the other hand has always made a ton of practical improvements in every update. Yeah it doesn't have SLI working either, but it doesn't attempt to use it by default (unlike SC) and if you force it it does basically work (also unlike SC).

My money is on Elite at this point. So glad I never paid more than the minimum into SC.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 3, 2014, 07:26 Tom

The idea that there are enough electronics hobbyists nowadays to support a store like Radio Shack is pretty laughable. Sad to see folks in denial on that one. Look, they had a good run up to the 90s but nowadays they'd be lucky to sell a handful of electronics hobbyist items a day per location, and you can bet most of those people would balk at paying more than a few % above online prices, and they sure as hell aren't going to do anything else that would make the store $$$. So it's a major losing proposition unless Radio Shack can find something else to subsidize that business, which they tried and failed at. Cell phones are a terrible thing to hawk and that's one of the main things that drove me away from Radio Shack.

Physical retail stores cost money. Companies have to make enough money to pay for that, or go out of business. Best Buy is trying to "take price out of the equation" by aggressively price matching Amazon and others - and they actually do it with no hassle. I bought a webcam from them a few months back and the only tough part was finding the darn thing in the store. But if too many customers take advantage of that policy, they're going to have to make their $$$ off horrific services like Geek Squad (*shudder*) or close their doors too.

The days of brick and mortar may be numbered, at least for many types of items. I laughed at Best Buy's CEO in a recent interview when he was asked if the company will be around in 5 years and he answered, "We'll be around in 50 years!" Yeah, good luck with that.

News Comments > On the Legality of "Code Stripping"
6. Re: On the Legality of Jul 31, 2014, 17:44 Tom

Yeah, people very conveniently forget that the cost of living varies throughout the world when the topic of pricing for digital goods is discussed. The software I develop is sold online but the price is the same for people all over the world. This effectively makes it a great bargain for people in the US but a huge expense for people in poorer countries. It's unfortunate and I don't like it. Imagine if the tables were turned and instead of having it cost you 4 hours pay to buy a game, it cost 20 hours pay - doing the same kind of work? Of course one can say... sucks to be you, that's the price you pay for living in a poor country, but that's kind of a lousy selfish attitude isn't it?

Of course the business reason of making some money instead of none generally trumps compassion when it comes to setting different prices throughout the world. But in any case, I don't think region-specific pricing is the atrocity people usually make it out to be.

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
26. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 17:52 Tom

Well I got my $20 worth from the game a long time ago, but it sure would've been nice if they'd continued its development at least a little bit more. I don't know about this rewrite. Every time I fire it up I'm appalled by just how awful it is. They had something special going with the original version, a spark that was snuffed out and was never present with the rewrite.

But hey, maybe in another year or two they'll have proved me wrong and the rewrite will be a fun game to play. We'll see.

Scott Manley's video on The Long Dark was surprisingly compelling. That looks like it might actually be a pretty cool survival game. Single player only, but that may actually be more of a benefit than a drawback. I never imagined I'd like a survival game until a friend got me to play Rust, and now another one is on my radar... so at least I can thank em for that.

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Pre-purchases
6. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Pre-purchases Jul 27, 2014, 22:00 Tom

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 14:32:
There you go! Be warned, it's not a read for the faint of heart, but it is THE textbook on fighter combat.

Thanks! I shall study this.

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 19:28:
It's getting a little weird when choppers (Blackshark, Huey etc.), the P-51 Mustang, the soon-to-be-released FW 190, the F-86 and modern jets like the Su-25, A-10, F-15 and maybe upcoming F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35 etc. are all operating within the same campaign theater.

I don't see what is so weird about this. DCS is a hardcore sim, of the sandbox variety where you have to make your own fun for the most part. They give you the tools to do what is of interest to you. DCS has no law that says the P-51 must do battle with the A-10 and F-15 over the skies of Georgia. If you use your imagination just a little bit, there's plenty of freedom to do what you want.

Would it be nice to have more terrain? More ground units? More planes? Sure. But there's plenty to do with what's there now.

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Pre-purchases
1. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Pre-purchases Jul 27, 2014, 14:11 Tom

Belsimtek has delivered once again with this module. I've spent some time with it this weekend and it's a nice plane, well implemented. Interesting to see what life is like in the transonic realm. I went through cold start (quite simple), radar-assisted guns, GAR-8 (early Sidewinder missiles), and took it supersonic in a dive from 45,000 feet. It was exciting to join a multiplayer server and fly the waypoints, searching for enemies, checking my six, even though I have little idea how to successfully engage other planes.  

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
3. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 12:40 Tom

That letter is a riot!  

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Jul 19, 2014, 16:20 Tom

Still got it after all these years... go Weird Al!

http://www.spin.com/articles/every-weird-al-yankovic-video-ranked/

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
11. Re: Morning Screenshots Jul 18, 2014, 20:32 Tom

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 11:04:
Worthless unless they add what framerates they were getting at 4K. With everything maxed it musta been a slideshow. nVidia and AMD really need to get their asses in motion.

Not worthless, and they weren't running at 4K. The last major release added a high-res screenshot key that lets you run at your regular resolution but it takes a 4K screenshot. Probably uses tiled rendering or some such. Good for making pretty screenshots. They had a little competition where Braben selected a winner. You can see it in the latest newsletter.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 00:01 Tom

Beamer wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 18:46:
Tom wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 17:59:
It's like there's a competition among corporate suits to see who can sound the douchiest.

You understand it's the corporate communications department, not the executives themselves, writing these messages, and they're doing it heavily under the eye of legal, right?

Yeah, even if the execs didn't write a word of it, the words are still attributed to them. If they can't even take responsibility for the words coming out of their mouths, how are they supposed to take responsibility for anything more important (i.e. virtually everything else imaginable)? Oh right, they don't...

And by the way, I'm totally fine with a company firing people, even a gazillion people due to horrid mismanagement. There's no guarantee that a job is going to exist forever - quite the opposite, really, and these folks surely must've seen the writing on the wall unless they had their heads firmly planted in the sand. Getting fired like that is an opportunity to find work at a company that is NOT horribly mismanaged, which is likely to improve that person's quality of life in the long run.

But if you're going to fire people, let's call it what it is. The "tired euphemisms" serve only to antagonize, especially the affected employees I'm sure. Do they have any benefit or positive effect on anyone? Maybe fanboys, who will believe anything and everything and spin the worst news as the best thing ever, but screw them. For the rest of us, just say you're eliminating redundancies to cut costs and maximize profits. What's wrong with being honest, upfront, and to the point?

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 17:59 Tom

I like Elop's take on it:

"We plan to right-size our manufacturing operations to align to the new strategy and take advantage of integration opportunities."

It's like there's a competition among corporate suits to see who can sound the douchiest.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 15, 2014, 23:43 Tom

A keyboard without a numeric keypad? No thanks.

Also, these things use "brown Kailh switches" which are a shameless Chinese copy of Cherry MX Browns.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2014, 23:27 Tom

This Comcast thing raises an interesting question. Did the employee realize he was getting trolled? If so, did he intentionally play along? I can certainly imagine someone in such a position hating the job enough to use the company's own policies against them.

Personally the worst customer service experience I've had has been with trying to cancel EarthLink cable Internet service. Since it somehow both was and was not part of Time Warner Cable, it took several phone calls to figure out who really had the authority to do anything. Twice, I got transferred to the same utterly unhelpful woman who wouldn't even let me finish my first sentence before transferring me back to the same department that transferred me to her in the first place. Ahhh... I finally did get someone who was very nice and helpful, but not before 2 hours of my evening had been wasted on the phone.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2014, 18:01 Tom

Sorry but AI !@#$ing sucks and people have ALWAYS been saying how better AI is just around the corner. All we need is another order of magnitude or two (or ten?) of computing power .... no, sorry. Not believing it anymore. The real bottlenecks for AI are human ingenuity and motivation, as is the case with most technologies. I don't see how VR is going to help make AI agents useful or compelling AT ALL given their traditional severe limitations that have nothing to do with VR.

The true compelling thing about VR, in my opinion, is the concept of presence. Not just looking at a screen, but feeling like you are there, with peripheral vision and the proper sense of scale and speed. This is of most immediate benefit to vehicle simulations but there will be plenty of other great applications. Although the vehicle simulation applications alone would be enough to make it a tremendously useful technology - see TrackIR as an example.

News Comments > MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; "New Concepts" Coming
12. Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 22:47 Tom

FlightGear! Oh man. I tried that maybe 2 years ago. Saw the web site and thought "this might be cool". Installed it. Was blown away by how bad it was. Uninstalled with extreme prejudice.  

1183 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo