Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1270 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 5, 2015, 17:41 Tom

Ecthelion wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 15:03:
Tablets are a little better, but still no replacement for a keyboard.
People use keyboards with tablets quite a bit. Or at least, they have them. The other day I watched an executive with one of those keyboard folio thingies tapping away on the on-screen keyboard of his iPad while the physical keyboard sat in front of him, unused. *facepalm*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 21:14 Tom

Don't like the ABP whitelist? Go into the filter preferences and uncheck the box that says "Allow some non-intrusive advertising". Problem solved. It takes about 5 seconds, or maybe a minute or two if you're really bad at finding settings.

This seems to come up every 6 months or so and everyone conveniently overlooks how easy it is to opt out of the ABP whitelist. At least this article explains that ABP is trying to get ads to conform to some minimum standard of decency and strike a balance.

My stance is, if you're a content creator or publisher, find a better business model than subjecting your visitors to the atrocities of web advertising. Nobody browsing the web is safe without ABP or similar. Per-site exceptions are a waste of time too because no matter how great the site is, the site owner is not going to hand-screen every ad that gets run. Inevitably, some scumbag will put something harmful out there. Screw that. Find a better business model.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 21:02 Tom

I live in a city where TWC is the only ISP providing non-DSL wireline service. This is true of this entire area and most of the state, and not just rural areas - cities. They are the only choice. They set up a monopoly and they abuse the hell out of it. They write the laws and bribe the politicians to pass them to make sure there won't ever be any competition. And this is typical all over the United States. This is a million times worse than anything Microsoft ever did with their monopoly and look what happened to them. WE NEED REGULATION when corporations get this abusive! It can't be tolerated. How are we supposed to vote with our wallets when the ballot has been rigged to only have one option? The only way to vote is with our feet by moving to another region of the country, or another country altogether, and that is totally unacceptable. We deserve better than this.

Last month TWC sent me a letter saying my promotional rate had expired but they were "pleased" to continue offering me a "special promotional rate" in return for me being a loyal customer and all. The old promotional rate was $65/month for 50/5. The new promotional rate was $97/month. I looked online and the ONLY price listed anywhere is the $65. They won't tell you what the non-promotional rate is! So I promptly called em up on the good ol' telephone and I said F that, I ain't payin' that! I said if $97 is a promotional rate, what is the non-promotional rate? $107, the nice lady told me, after digging around for a few minutes. That's $107 for 50/5. Google Fiber's price (in Kansas City anyway) is $70 for 1000/1000. Yes, that's 20 times faster for downloading and 200 times faster for uploading, for 65% of the cost.

"Well Google cheats, they're not a real ISP, they're not available except in a handful of cities, etc" you might say. Ok fine, how about Verizon FiOS then? My friend pays them $100/month for 150/150. That's 3 times faster downloading and 30 times faster uploading and STILL LESS than TWC's non-promotional rate.

When I told the TWC rep there was no way in hell I was paying $97 for 50/5, she got back to me after a few minutes and said she "found a promotion" for $77. I said no thanks, how much does the next most expensive tier cost? After clearing up her confusion about what a "tier" is, she told me I could pay $67 for 30/5.

So now I pay $2 more a month for 60% of the download speed I was getting. Let's put this in dollars per Mbps for downloading and compare. I now pay $2.23/Mbps, my FiOS friend pays $0.67/Mbps, and those Google Fiber LPBs in Kansas pay $0.07/Mbps. So my service is currently 3.3x more expensive than FiOS and 32x more expensive than Google Fiber.

Then there's the upload direction where I pay a ridiculous $13.40/Mbps. This is 20 times more expensive than FiOS and 191 times more expensive than Google Fiber.

TWC can die in a fire. So can Comcast and the rest of them.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2015, 22:10.

News Comments > H1Z1 Refunds
16. Re: H1Z1 Refunds Jan 16, 2015, 21:14 Tom

I'm totally fine with this game sucking right now. As long as there's potential for it to evolve into legit competition in this space, that's a good thing. Everyone could benefit from that.

Last time I fired up Rust my mouse stopped working after a few minutes of "playing". I terminated Rust using the keyboard alone. The mouse still wouldn't function until I rebooted. True story.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 12, 2015, 20:34 Tom

Oh boy here we go with the delusions!

Well, it's your money, and there are certainly worse things you could spend it on.

News Comments > Minecraft Name Changes Next Month
3. Re: Minecraft Name Changes Next Month Jan 12, 2015, 20:23 Tom

NOT what I expected from the headline.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
40. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 21:34 Tom

Ok I take it back, I guess it can be hard, but there are solutions. Again, if you want to do DCS, you have to do this. Clearly a lot of people have been successful at it.

I normally use my regular desk for flight/space sims right now. From left to right it goes trim wheel, throttle, keyboard, stick, mouse. The keyboard is in the center. When I'm not using the stick I move it forward on the desk so that the mouse can be in its normal position just to the right of the keyboard.

I've also tried using a custom-built racing cockpit for flight/space sim in the Rift and that's a bit different of a setup. The stick is in the center, throttle to the left, keyboard to the left of that. Mouse is to the right. It'd be a little awkward for an FPS to have the keyboard that far to the left, but probably manageable. It'd be nice to have an easy way to move the stick back so the keyboard can end up in the center.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 18:51 Tom

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 18:34:
The problem with Elite on the Rift (and SC, and anything else going this route) is that it works great as a seated experience with HOTAS in hand, but what happens when switching into FPS mode? Now you have to fumble around, unable to see your desk, until you find your mouse and keyboard. And then back, to take off. Interdicted, prepare for boarding? Prepare to switch controls again. And back. And forth. Over. And over.
This problem is more imagined than real. Just arrange your HOTAS, keyboard, and mouse so that they're all in a row and easily accessible. It's not that hard. Practically every DCS user needs to do it. As for not being able to see your input devices because you're wearing the Rift, a few hours of practice takes care of that. And if you're really stuck on something you can always peek through the hole in the bottom of the Rift.

14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 15:30 Tom

Moog wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 10:38:
If only you could play with your friends

I saw a friend once, outside a station, then we both warped to the same destination and never saw each other again.

Appalling that it was released with no reliable way to play together!
This is my biggest problem with the game. They need to fix this if they want to get massive sales. Unfortunately that may require ditching the terrible P2P networking, which they don't seem likely to ever do.

As a solo game, there just isn't enough to do that doesn't get old real quick. Yeah, there are a bunch of roles to try out, but what was the saying? A mile wide and an inch deep. I guess that's what they were going for, though. To me it seems like tremendous wasted potential.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Assetto Corsa
9. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Assetto Corsa Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 Tom

AC's physics are good but not as good as iRacing IMO. The huge attraction with AC is its extreme moddability. There are tons of third party tracks, some of which are incredibly high quality. The game is worth buying just to be able to drive Lake Louise.

Oh yeah. There's also at least one quality third party car, the Lamborghini Miura, and I'd expect more in the future.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2014, 10:54 Tom

HLVR is cool but the Hydra sucks. At least, mine never really worked properly. I don't know if it was defective or fundamentally flawed, but I'm far from the only one who's had major trouble with it registering the correct orientation.

I was at least able to experience the potential of HLVR. Chucking grenades naturally feels great. And holding and aiming guns. This stuff will be much better once more reliable devices than the Hydra are available. I'm looking at STEM and whatever Nimble VR develops now that they're joining Oculus.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
40. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 23:01 Tom

I picked up The Long Dark in a previous sale - it's cool even in just the sandbox mode. I'm really looking forward to the story mode. These folks know what they're doing and care about making a quality game.  

News Comments > Vox Machinae VR Demo
9. Re: Vox Machinae VR Demo Dec 16, 2014, 06:55 Tom

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 05:16:
Ok I just pored over their website and the features of this upcoming game. I cant test the demo since I dont have a DK2 (TrackIR FTW). I have a few questions, perhaps those who are following the game's progress could help me out.

Will the game work without an Oculus once its released?

You turn your head in order to aim, so it could work with TrackIR I think, but you'd definitely need some sort of headtracking. This game is built for VR though. It would be a lesser experience on a monitor.

8. Re: Vox Machinae VR Demo Dec 16, 2014, 06:53 Tom

Wildone wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 23:44:
Agreed!

So what happens after, can you still find the 'missing friendly'? I didnt look lol

After finding the missing friendly, more dudes show up and you have to blast em! One of em makes a nice entrance too.

3. Re: Vox Machinae VR Demo Dec 15, 2014, 23:26 Tom

Yeah, insta-buy for sure. Just tried it and wow, fantastic! Some serious MechWarrior 2 vibes. I had hoped this would be good but it really exceeded my expectations. Aside from the obvious "this is awesome in VR", they put some real work into the movement of the mechs. The positional and system damage is great. The voice, music, atmosphere, graphical style, controls, man. There wasn't a single thing not to like.

Can't wait for the full game!!!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 4 "on Hold"
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 4 Dec 15, 2014, 21:47 Tom

Actions speak louder than words.  

News Comments > Vox Machinae Announced
2. Re: Vox Machinae Announced Dec 12, 2014, 11:53 Tom

Trying not to get my hopes up but it's tough! In any case, it oughta be just a matter of time until someone makes a good mech game with VR support. It's such a good fit.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer
13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 00:05 Tom

Hmph. This Gamma 2 version broke the TrackIR support. The game is now unplayable due to the view being lagged to hell, like they're applying some sort of smoothing to your head movement. They made a similar mistake in a previous beta release. When will developers learn that you can't screw with people's head movement? I'll try the game again once they fix this...  

10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 10, 2014, 23:25 Tom

lol... brilliant video.  

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 10, 2014, 22:06 Tom

They had some good trailers a while ago that actually showed real gameplay and made it look good. This trailer is just over the top stupid action. Well, if it makes em feel AAA, so be it...

Time to fire up gamma 2 and see what's new.

Gamma is just beta btw, and release will be beta too. Expect a release-like level of completeness/stability around mid-2015 if they keep the dev team reasonably staffed.

1270 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo