Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1112 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion
12. Re: Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion Feb 1, 2014, 09:48 Tom

Anyone who invested in Shroud of the Avatar despite Garriott's track record was taking an enormous leap of faith. Glad I avoided this one.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wings of Saint Nazaire Alpha
7. Re: Wings of Saint Nazaire Alpha Jan 26, 2014, 22:38 Tom

The browser post was just trolling.

I tried the download version out briefly. It was ... interesting. The style is a slightly odd mix of new and old (mostly old). The demo is rather limited. You enter a space battle with a lot of friendly and enemy ships duking it out, you kill enemy ships, and more of them keep spawning infinitely. After about 2 or 3 minutes you've seen it all. There is potential, but this demo was like a tech demo - works well enough but doesn't show that there's actually a game there.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 26, 2014, 22:35 Tom

Funny, Korean broadband wasn't looking so awesome yesterday.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
39. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2014, 21:16 Tom

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 19:38:
Technically, Minecraft doesn't have voxels. ;)

Yeah yeah, you know what I mean.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2014, 19:15 Tom

I never tried DayZ (the mod or the game) or anything like it, but a friend got me into Rust this weekend. Wow. It's intense. Kind of like a multiplayer STALKER but with elements of Minecraft (minus the voxels). I played a lot of hours this weekend and didn't run into a single bug or crash - very impressive for an early access alpha. It is a bit more GPU intensive than I'd expect but I never had any slowdowns.

I'm very interested to see where the game goes from here.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast
1. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 23, 2014, 17:36 Tom

Yeah, and they had Patrick Stewart do voice acting for Oblivion too! What a joke.

Instead of paying for all these big name voice actors, how about not re-using the same exact voice clips and dialogue for 100 different NPCs? Cookie-cutter voice acting is one of the biggest immersion killers.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 20, 2014, 21:44 Tom

US Army, meet Colonel Kernel Panic.  

News Comments > Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides
7. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 20, 2014, 00:15 Tom

Jensen wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 22:58:
VR seems more suited for a console, where developers have a common target and can guarantee good performance. Maybe that's where Steam Machines could be useful?

I don't know about Steam Machines, and those are good "nice to have" things, but consoles fail on two critical fronts: raw horsepower and relatively unbounded innovation. All things considered, the PC thoroughly trounces consoles right now as the best platform for VR. And I don't see this changing in this latest generation of consoles. Maybe it will with the next gen in another couple of years, depending on how things go on the PC.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 19, 2014, 10:29 Tom

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 07:20:
If a 10 year old kid knows Ezio's backstory, that kid's parents have failed miserably at their responsibilities.
I'm not saying they should know anything about Mario (what's there to know? Princess, bowser, green pipes), but they shouldn't be playing games that reward them for murdering people in public and not being spotted.

Yeah, seriously. The Assassin's Creed games are NOT for kids! WTF.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2014, 19:55 Tom

Kitkoan wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 17:07:
You've never dealt with the police before, have you?

Not quite that simple. They have no problems in using more... physical ways of "persuading" you for the information. Or arrest you on a sayso.

The super-paranoid know how to pass the wrench test. In theory.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 18, 2014, 19:44 Tom

I got my Wii U at a nice discount ($250) a while back. I decided to pick one up mainly because I'd given away my Wii but wanted to get back into Wii Fit. Well, the killer app for the system for me turned out to be Wii Sports Club tennis online multiplayer. I loved tennis on the Wii but almost never had a chance to play it with other humans. I played against the AI until my skill level went off the chart (literally) but that could only go on for so long. It only took 7 years but they finally made an online multiplayer version, and I love it. It has its problems (synchronous netcode like the original Quake before QuakeWorld, which SUCKS when you get matched up with someone in Brazil) but it's still a ton of fun. And it's easy to fire up casually, play a few rounds after work, and burn off some stress without involving shooting.

Art Academy: Sketchpad + the Miiverse is a close second for me. The Miiverse is an amazing community full of insanely talented people who love to draw and share their art. Nintendo has made it super easy to find, keep up with, and communicate with these people. And even if you never really did any drawing (like me) it really encourages you to try it out. The feel of the stylus on the Wii U gamepad is great, with just the right resistance for drawing. You won't get that feel with the ability to draw directly onto a screen on many other devices, I think.

It saddens me to see Nintendo struggle with this but if the Wii U is a flop, so be it. So was the Dreamcast, and I still got an incredible amount of enjoyment out of that.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 16, 2014, 22:47 Tom

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 22:31:
Funny how he got elected in 2008 running against this very thing.

I used to think lawyers were the worst of the worst. Now I know it's politicians.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 15, 2014, 19:29 Tom

This is what happens when you set out to "prove" something and make zero effort to avoid or hide your bias. Pretty dumb. All it proves is how not to run a test.  

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Oculus Rift Support Nears
3. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Oculus Rift Support Nears Jan 15, 2014, 19:25 Tom

One killer app and the Oculus Rift will be doing just fine.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 14, 2014, 17:40 Tom

Uh huh. And why is it the FCC's job to ban this? If there's no technical interference issue, it shouldn't be banned by the FCC. Period. The airlines are the ones who should make this policy decision, and if you don't like their policy you can complain to them and/or fly on a different airline.

The whole thing is a non-issue anyway since most people really just want to text. The apocalypse of super annoying people yapping all around you on the plane is nothing more than a construct of the click-hungry press.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2014, 10:24 Tom

Yeah yeah, it's cool to hate on YouTube, but what else is there? It has no peer.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
15. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jan 7, 2014, 20:32 Tom

Look more closely. They just screwed up the heading.

Heading:
GeForce R331 Game Ready Driver - WHQL

Text below the heading:
Version: 332.21 - Release Date: Tue Jan 07, 2014

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
1. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 20:17 Tom

OMG drooooolllll..... I never would have expected these characteristics from OLED based on the OLED screens I've seen to date.

Need info on resolution + next dev kit!

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M
45. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 20:07 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:16:
Also, Josh posted another fantastic Limit Theory monthly update the other day. It's looking great. He's shooting for a mid 2014 release, but I think that he's got at least another year of work, considering all that needs to be done with ship and station design, AI, mission design, interface design, etc.
harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:25:
also im not 100% sold on the procedural sim only method.. i think its possible to do procedural storylines and someone needs to get cracking on it - especially storylines that dont require the player but can involve them in any capacity

I love this guy's videos and have high hopes for LT. But his hard-line 100% procedural approach is doomed to failure when it comes to these elements. Attempts to automate the creative processes of humans inevitably end in failure. Hence the need for writers, artists, musicians, programmers, etc. Using procedural for these things is doomed to produce a soulless, unfulfilling end result. Remember Origin's motto? The thing that made them great? "We Create Worlds", not "We Create Systems That Create Worlds". Procedural can go a long way but using it for everything is folly.

I hope I'm mistaken and he actually has a more hybrid approach in mind, but so far all I've heard him say is along the lines of "100% procedural everything!"

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:10:
All my life, all I've EVER wanted to is be a starship engine mechanic. We've never had that before, and SC let's us be what we want to be. THAT'S why I funded at the $500 level.

*backs away slowly* I'm still on the fence as to whether you were joking/trolling or serious.

Tumbler wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:43:
I started at $125 for that hornet package and felt really nervous, considered pulling my pledge, but watching them respond to problems they faced and the art and models they continue to create and present just makes me happy to spend more. I'm very excited to see everything they create and with each new ship they offer I'm open to spending more money if I like it enough.

What I don't get is... why do people spend so much real $$$ on this stuff at this stage? Why not get the game for $30 or $40 or whatever it was, have fun playing it, and get the goodies in the course of playing? I have high hopes for Star Citizen (and WC2 is still my all-time favorite game) but I'm not buying their sales pitch for why I should buy all this virtual stuff with real money. They already have way more than enough money to make the game. They insist it's not going to be P2W. So what rational reason is there to give them hundreds of dollars? Seems like an awfully high risk, low reward investment.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 China Ban?
17. Re: Battlefield 4 China Ban? Dec 27, 2013, 16:58 Tom

Yeah you get to kill a bunch of Russkies too. Probably not much consolation to the Chinese.

I hardly had any bugs in single player.. a handful of crashes over the length of the whole campaign. Had more stuff in multi (was amusing when they broke SLI) but still not a huge deal. Guess I'm really lucky and/or forgiving.

1112 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo