Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1148 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
26. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced May 30, 2014, 22:24 Tom

DCS stuff typically goes on sale at least 3 or 4 times a year with major discounts. If you don't want to pay full price, you don't have to. Just hold off a bit and keep your eyes open.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
16. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced May 30, 2014, 18:45 Tom

Really looking forward to this, and the MiG-21bis coming probably around the same time. Life is good in DCS World!

Belsimtek did a fantastic job with the UH-1H Huey. I expect greatness from the F-86F Sabre, especially given its reputation as a joy to fly.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Battlepack Sales
4. Re: Battlefield 4 Battlepack Sales May 27, 2014, 23:14 Tom

Laughable indeed. Or maybe just sad at this point.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization May 21, 2014, 19:58 Tom

Now that's a statue I'd like to see.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Preloads
4. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Preloads May 19, 2014, 23:30 Tom

I'm not expecting much based on the video I saw that contrasted stealthy and violent approaches. Seemed like very shallow console stuff. I'd like to be wrong, though. I mean, I know the original Wolfie wasn't exactly a thinking man's game, but still.. something seemed troubling about this one.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale May 17, 2014, 19:36 Tom

Holy smokes, they shipped 35GB of uncompressed audio??

That is just a mind-bogglingly epic engineering fail. Makes me wonder what other incredibly poor judgement calls they made in developing this game...

If they used any kind of sane audio codec, playing back the compressed audio would consume LESS computing capacity due to savings in memory bandwidth.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 4 Released; Premium Beta This Month
23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 4 Released; Premium Beta This Month May 17, 2014, 13:33 Tom

Actually there are practically no examples that doesn't hold true to, as nearly all games go on sale at some point. Even without early access, Kickstarter, whatever, you can pay full price (or close to it) on initial release, or you can wait until it's on sale. You almost always pay a premium for playing sooner. Exceptions are those rare games that increase in price over time like Minecraft and KSP. Even then, they tend to go on sale.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 4 Released; Premium Beta This Month
18. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 4 Released; Premium Beta This Month May 17, 2014, 10:56 Tom

It's standard practice for a Kickstarter to offer greater rewards to people who pay more, and access to earlier builds is one of those typical rewards. It's also standard for Kickstarter benefits to continue to be offered to new participants past the end of the Kickstarter. Elite: Dangerous followed these common practices. So did Star Citizen - they just undercut the prices bigtime and made up the difference by charging ridiculous amounts for ships. Those ships are optional of course, as is early access to builds.

Judging by who's posting in the private alpha forum, most of the people who shelled out $300 for alpha access are hardcore Elite fans that go back to the 1980's. These folks are not just interested in space sims, but Elite specifically, and they have no problem supporting their hero (David Braben) based on their nostalgia and love of the franchise. There are also others who just really love space sims, saw the very promising videos of Elite, had money to burn, and had trouble waiting patiently while others were having fun enjoying the game.

You want to get a game cheap? You wait. You want to play now? You pay more. That's the reality of pretty much all games that are sold as a one-time purchase.

I think the complaints here stem purely from jealousy, which is quite understandable. The game looks amazing in videos, mostly delivers on its promises, and has enormous potential. If they can just figure out the netcode and get it to stop crashing all the time (well, it is an alpha) it could be the first great space sim in decades.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 14, 2014, 01:40 Tom

And this is why I use Direct3D. Even then vendors B and C still manage to screw things up (especially vendor C), but at least Windows itself is using those same drivers under the hood. That pretty much forces some basic level of decency.  

News Comments > Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations
50. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 20:05 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2014, 19:52:
LOL. You will be able to buy the device and play hardcore games and never see an add. Public hysteria.

Yeah, all that crap is just a bunch of hot air. You know 99% of these people are going to be shelling out for a Rift as soon as they can, unless someone manages to beat Oculus to the punch. That seems pretty unlikely right now but anything can happen.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 30, 2014, 23:07 Tom

Ok let's see... Google Fiber is $70 for 1Gbps up/down. TWC is $70 for 50Mbps down, 5Mbps up, and that's a temporary promotional price. But putting that aside, Google Fiber is 20 times faster down, and 200 times faster up.

So TWC, if the difference between your service and Google Fiber is so small, how about I only pay you 1/20 of the monthly fee, or $3.50/month? I mean, it's practically the same as $70, right? Or perhaps I only really care about upstream, so I pay you 1/200 or $0.35/month? Sounds good to me!

But this is all moot anyway because I'm sure things will be so much better once I get sold off to Comcast, Charter, or whoever.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 26, 2014, 20:06 Tom

Got a Lumia 520 for someone for $50 from Best Buy. Incredible deal. What a great phone.  

News Comments > Project CARS Trailer
5. Re: Project CARS Trailer Apr 24, 2014, 00:16 Tom

Ok, so it's got very pretty graphics, but how do the cars drive? Do they feel alive like in iRacing? Given the track record of this developer and the lengthy list of supported platforms I'm guessing not, if history is any indication.

Still might be worth getting just for the Nordschleife if the feel is at least decent, though.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Apr 19, 2014, 10:42 Tom

Hmm according to their Steam page "Tabletop Simulator is the only simulator where you can let your aggression out by flipping the table!" which of course would be a lie, as Japan has had an arcade game dedicated to table flipping since 2010. But I didn't see any table flipping going on in their video on Steam...  

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
20. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 16:57 Tom

After recent events I could no longer refrain from trying the alpha to see for myself. Make no mistake. Elite: Dangerous is the real deal. This is the first worthwhile space combat sim in decades. It's still only an alpha and there are a bunch of rough edges. But, looking at what they've accomplished so far and the design decisions they've made, I can tell they have the capability to execute. This capability is something that must extend from top to bottom in order to produce a result like this. It's there and it's real.

They may need some help on the netcode/back-end. That's probably the biggest potential trouble spot I see.

It's going to be very interesting to see how things play out between this and Star Citizen. I certainly didn't expect this a year ago. Now, perhaps in another year the tables will have been turned again. Wow! To have such exciting times, after decades of just nothing.. it's amazing.

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
24. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 13, 2014, 11:14 Tom

I agree, it's really annoying to see CR always using a controller. Maybe he would like to demo it with a joystick, but it isn't working well enough yet. Or he doesn't want to scare off the masses who are where the $$$ is at. Or there's some stupid business issue with hardware vendors that prevents him from doing it. Or he just sucks at piloting with a stick in general and doesn't want to show that off to millions of people.

Until we get the actual game and try it for ourselves, all we can do is speculate on how good its joystick support is. I'm guessing for all those millions of $$$ they can have at least one developer work on making it good. But hey, maybe not, you never know. Time will tell.

Thankfully in the meantime, if you're truly hardcore, you can put your money where your mouth is and be playing Elite: Dangerous with a stick, throttle, rudder pedals, and TrackIR... right now! Only $300.

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
18. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 12, 2014, 20:33 Tom

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 20:02:
From what I could sit through of that gameplay footage, I did catch one guy in the audience yell pretty clearly "You'd be able to hit him if you used a mouse!" or something like that. Best part of the video IMO.
Those were some rowdy folks in the audience. My favorite was the guy who yelled "Attach a debugger and USE THOSE SYMBOLS!!!" Absolutely priceless.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 12, 2014, 14:22 Tom

DukeFNukem wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 12:22:
I never knew there were so many drama queens on the internet. You would think the end of the world is near.
Perhaps you are new to the Internet. Welcome, my friend!

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
55. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 11, 2014, 17:55 Tom

Ok, so it's official then, Star Citizen sucks and Elite: Dangerous is the best game ever. So why are they selling a $150 beta now where you get treated as a second class citizen for the next 6 weeks? I see these awesome videos but they're not quite $300 awesome...  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2014, 23:38 Tom

To heck with touchscreens for car controls I say, but it seems to be working for Tesla...  

1148 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo