Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1075 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
29. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 3, 2013, 09:04 Tom

There is no need for Oculus Rift to do anything with Android in order to get better displays. They can piggyback on mobile display innovations without needing to do that. They want to do stuff with Android because it's fun and sexy, not because it's particularly useful or valuable compared to hooking up to a PC.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip
19. Re: Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip Oct 30, 2013, 18:30 Tom

I'm sure that works great with Punkbuster...  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 23:17 Tom

Taskeen wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 22:40:
Uh Oleg just successfully funded a DCS WW2 module. And many of the IL-2 devs are now creating IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad. Still there, and we're still paying em, and playing their games.

Not Oleg, Ilya.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
12. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 20:57 Tom

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:10:
On the other hand it is perfectly possible that there are in fact that many nutters out there.

Judging by the commenters in this thread and ones like it, there's certainly no shortage of nutters out there.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 19, 2013, 00:59 Tom

NFS hasn't been worth anything since Porsche Unleashed anyway. Yawn.  

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
14. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 17:49 Tom

These things always go in phases. First there's single-vendor proprietary. This is soon copied. In time, the various proprietary systems are unified by one or more standards.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 16, 2013, 22:24 Tom

That's not the true cost and you know it.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 16, 2013, 20:57 Tom

...except it's not even cheap...  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 15, 2013, 23:45 Tom

Jeri's video was low budget but very well thought out and efficiently presented. I wasn't sure about this project when I first saw it, but now I'm interested. I think it actually has the potential to be much more suitable than the Oculus Rift for certain applications.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 14, 2013, 18:44 Tom

Always nice to see someone doing the math. I hope you (and they) are right though.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 13, 2013, 19:30 Tom

UConnBBall wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 18:03:
What is worse is when people use Word for EVERYTHING! They even open files in Word.

Heh... sounds like my grandfather. He's a WordPerfect diehard and will try to open every type of file in WordPerfect. He'll also try to do all file management stuff (copying/moving/deleting/renaming files/folders) in the File Open dialog of WordPerfect. Connect a digital camera to the computer? WordPerfect. Scanner? WordPerfect. He did at least finally accept that emailing WordPerfect documents to people is a waste of time.

Every time he asks for help I've learned to always start by saying "First, close WordPerfect", no matter what the question is.

News Comments > DICE: Linux Needs "One Killer App or Game"
6. Re: DICE: Linux Needs Oct 13, 2013, 11:54 Tom

Yes, and next year will be the year of the Linux desktop!!!

LOL. Lars is just trolling everyone. This is such an old joke at this point, it's more of a tradition.

News Comments > The Dark Mod No Longer a Mod
3. Re: The Dark Mod No Longer a Mod Oct 12, 2013, 00:58 Tom

Can you knock out a guard, pick up the body, drop it in a shallow pool of water, and listen to him gurgle until he drowns? That was definitely the best part of Thief.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Design Competition
16. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 17:41 Tom

McSterls wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 14:34:
I've got an idea for a ship I'll call the Penetrator. It's good for getting into tight spaces, like in game asteroid mining. Wet spaces, like a Water World or Rain Forest type planet. It leaves a hell of a mess sometimes too, due to a faulty reactor drive unit (think Firefly). Look for the Penetrator to be the most popular ship in the game!

In Star Control, the Syreen ship was called the Syreen Penetrator. And it was aptly named.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 19:17 Tom

Darks wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 12:25:
You guys can laugh and make joke about this all you want, but itís really depressing when you read about this. This is exactly why our economy is like it is. There is no way to compete with this type of slave labor and exactly why the Chinese are taking away our jobs.

Actually there are ways to compete with that type of slave labor. Manufacturing is moving back to the US in some areas. If you want to read a good article about this, check out the following:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/business/us-textile-factories-return.html

News Comments > Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced
7. Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced Oct 8, 2013, 18:39 Tom

Never met a classic adventure game remake that felt right to me, but GK1 was one of the best so I hope they do a good job. VERY much looking forward to the remastered soundtrack as it was an outstanding soundtrack. I've tried my hand at remastering some of those tracks myself, and to this day the cathedral music is my favorite piece to play on the organ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trDQigDiqCg

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 19:16 Tom

There's always someone who tries to give technical justifications for how 64-bit is faster than a 32-bit. The truth is that each has their own advantages and 64-bit is not necessarily any better. There are like a million variables involved, and the results are highly dependent on all these variables combined with the nature of the compute task at hand. And even talking about faster vs. slower, nobody is ever specific enough to make a valid comparison. Are you talking about the speed of 32-bit vs. 64-bit code on the same 64-bit CPU? Different CPUs that are 32-bit and 64-bit but somehow manage to be exactly the same in all other respects? Even the definition of what is 32-bit and what is 64-bit can be blurred.

In my experience, compiling code as 64-bit rarely makes any significant performance difference compared to the same code compiled as 32-bit running on the same 64-bit CPU. Sometimes it even runs slower. 64-bit certainly doesn't just automatically give you performance for free even if there are ways for it to improve performance.

The biggest advantage of a 64-bit CPU is in its ease of addressing memory over 4GB, by far. This is a very clear, important, slam dunk kind of win over 32-bit. Performance is much much much more nebulous.

By the way, the Wikipedia article linked to earlier in this thread says right at the top "the 32-bit Pentium had a 64-bit data bus" so the point about the data bus size seems rather bogus.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 1, 2013, 19:33 Tom

I'd rather have them focus 100% on enabling true VR experiences than to spend resources on hacks for legacy games. Let third parties duke it out in the legacy space. The end result will be better for both VR-specific games and legacy games.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 30, 2013, 19:37 Tom

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 18:45:
Heh, the NSA is at least several times larger than the CIA and FBI. There's stuff they do nobody else can. The problem is accountability. All of them are corrupt but the people don't care.

Even if the people did care, those in power have ensured there's nothing they can do about it.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 30, 2013, 18:40 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 18:35:
AMD spent up to $8m on Battlefield 4 deal - report.

It's going to be interesting to see if Mantle-optimized software offers any performance advantages over stuff that isn't.

It will, but only on AMD hardware. This is their means of waving the white flag when it comes to driver development. Meanwhile, NVIDIA hardware will remain competitive through the traditional D3D pipeline. Hahaha.

1075 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo