Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1264 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2011, 13:53 Tom

The vast majority of LCD displays accept input at a rate of 60 frames per second. Your monitor almost certainly falls into this category.

For 3D, you need a display that can accept input at a rate of 120 frames per second. Such displays are advertised as "120Hz" but be advised that this is different from the bogus 120Hz, 240Hz, etc. terminology often seen in television specifications. The important thing is that the display must accept input at 120 frames per second and display each of those frames.

NVIDIA has a list of compatible hardware here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No
11. Re: Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No May 16, 2011, 13:44 Tom

This is the funniest thread I've seen here in awhile.  

News Comments > Square Enix's Losses
4. Re: Square Enix's Losses May 13, 2011, 15:41 Tom

They never said that, nor did the article say that. Where did you get that from? Try reading the article. They're well aware the losses are their own fault.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 12, 2011, 13:10 Tom

Tumbler wrote on May 12, 2011, 10:57:
Edit: oh, and PORTAL 2!? Which version is going to be the best again?
PC.

News Comments > Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles
25. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 16:21 Tom

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 11, 2011, 13:38:
Pretty much this. I never got The Beatles at all. I even recently went back and listened to a lot of their stuff to see what I just didn't get and never found it. It's just generic 60s rock with uninspired lyrics and their later stuff is just nonsensical (likely cause they were all stoned when it was written). My opinion's obviously in the minority though.

Well I'm with you, I HATE the sound of the Beatles with a passion and cringe/flee whenever I'm subjected to it. I'm not sure if there's a name for the concept of fingernails on a blackboard, but that's the kind of response the Beatles elicit from me. From the moment I first heard it.

News Comments > BF3 Preorder DLC Details
8. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 18:27 Tom

Ok, thanks, I think I get it now. There isn't as much of a difference in effectiveness of different types of explosives as there should be. I mostly agree with that. There should probably be a bigger difference between grenade/noob tube vs. rocket/tank shell when it comes to building destruction.

As for buildings being too easy to destroy... well, it might help if they were damaged in a more realistic way, but if you hit buildings from all over the place with tank shells and rockets in real life, it seems to me like they're probably going to fall apart eventually. If they make them too strong, that could end up unrealistic and dampen the fun of the destructive environment.

I think the important issue is how destructibility affects the gameplay and victory conditions. They seem to have thought about this in BC2, usually placing at least half of the objectives either in indestructible buildings or outside of buildings so you can't just sit back and drop all of the buildings to win. I love to drop buildings and do it all the time, but you have to do more than that to win, which is good.

News Comments > BF3 Preorder DLC Details
4. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 17:01 Tom

loomy wrote on May 10, 2011, 16:36:
the building destruction by dice in bfbc2 is excessive. almost anything blows up almost anything, it is not fun or realistic, two departures for the bf franchise.

Huh. I dunno what game you're playing but it's not BC2. Anything blows up any explosive thing. Explosives blow up non-explosive things. These are logical. However, there are tons of things that can't be blown up. Crates, containers, buildings, flimsy looking metal lean-to things, many inoperable vehicles, etc. And the buildings require unnatural (but better than nothing) scripted destruction in order to collapse.

If anything, they need to increase the destructibility of the environment, not decrease it. Fortunately, this sounds like what they're doing in BF3.

It's worth noting that they're walking a fine line between realism and fun when they decide what should be destructible. If everything was destructible, it might be more realistic but less fun. I think they did a pretty good job with BC2 and am hoping they can do even better with BF3.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
4. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 10:34 Tom

"People who use Amazon still go to bookstores."

Yeah, to browse, then I buy it from Amazon. Brick and mortar has too much overhead to compete with online operations.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Revelations Announced
25. Re: Assassin's Creed Revelations Announced May 5, 2011, 16:09 Tom

Verno wrote on May 5, 2011, 13:43:
I think they've done everything they can with Rome unless we're going to get into modern era Mafia stuff. I'd like to see feudal Japan but that will never happen as Joe Everyman can't identify with anything there but the sword

This is the game for that:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/943326-ryu-ga-gotoku-kenzan

Unfortunately, you'll need to learn Japanese first.

News Comments > Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances
6. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 16:25 Tom

Clancy wrote on May 4, 2011, 15:51:
Could have been a worse license. I am still in shock that this is all VB code.
I had no idea anyone would use VB for a MMO...and since it is written in VB, most linux people couldn't really run it, and I don't think mono is of use here. Hmmm.

I'm assuming you understand the difference between VB and VB.NET - they're very different. Anyway, if this stuff doesn't run on Linux, it's not because the code is VB.NET.

This open-source train sim (previously mentioned on Blue's News) works on Windows, Mac, and Linux and is written in C#. It could just as easily have been written in VB.NET:
http://openbve.trainsimcentral.co.uk/downloads.html

If Mono isn't "of use", it's due to decisions made by the developers other than choice of programming language. Mono works fine with VB.NET.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Specs
18. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Specs May 3, 2011, 17:49 Tom

Somehow I think graphics are going to be the least of this game's problems. It's still sad that anyone would expect post-DX9 level graphics from it, though. Helllloooooooo....... Learn a little history, please.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2011, 15:13 Tom

Hey, at least the British have something left to kind of rally around and feel patriotic about, now that their empire is gone.

What will Americans have left to celebrate once the United States has completed its fall from power?

News Comments > Diablo III in the "Home Stretch"
16. Re: Diablo III in the Apr 28, 2011, 12:48 Tom

Stormsinger wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 11:03:
Crunching is when the magic happens? What a load of crap...

Crunching is nothing more than shitty project management. It's purely a sign of incompetence, not something positive.

It's also a result of too many people willing to put up with a crap work environment just because it means they get to work on games. For every person who resists crunch, how many people are there who would jump at the opportunity?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 26, 2011, 23:06 Tom

Creston wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 22:16:
but I sync passwords between systems, so yeah, I get the joy of changing all of them.

That's an interesting way of saying you use the same password for all your stuff. Maybe you shouldn't be giving Sony advice about network security.

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
87. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 15:30 Tom

Graham wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 13:47:
Tom wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 13:41:
I ended up having to unplug my racing pedals which I normally leave plugged in all the time.

Submit a bug report. I think we can probably take it as gospel that NO ONE at Valve has racing pedals always plugged into their PC all the time. This isn't a console-related problem, it's actually the very epitome of a PC-related problem: a mostly-open environment wherein many variables (like random input hardware) can be connected. The very fact that there isn't a way to turn the "controller" off indicates that the addition of controller options was an afterthought.

You've kind of proved the opposite of the case you hoped to make here.

Actually I think you proved my point. Developers making PC games are well aware of the open nature of the PC and rarely make such stupid assumptions as every controller being plugged in must be used for gameplay (with no way to turn it off, even!). Developers making console games are used to dealing with a relatively closed environment and generally don't have to deal with such issues.

This is an amateur mistake and I'm surprised to see it from Valve. The rest of the game is incredibly polished. I think if the game wasn't targeting consoles so heavily, this never would've happened.

Btw, my rating of the game overall is an 8 or 9 so far. I haven't finished it yet but even if it is relatively short, I'm not going to fault it too much for that. I'd rather have a shorter extremely polished experience than something long and mediocre.

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
53. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:41 Tom

I wouldn't say the game is a console port but it definitely suffers from console-related problems. I started up the game last night for the first time, started the little tutorial at the beginning, and my view kept constantly drifting upward. I ended up having to unplug my racing pedals which I normally leave plugged in all the time. Apparently the game thought they were an XBox 360 controller. There didn't seem to be any in-game setting to disable this stupid behavior. Hello? PC? Mouse and keyboard. I don't need no stinking controller.

This wasn't the first game to suffer from this problem, but it doesn't usually happen with FPS's and it certainly didn't happen with Portal 1 or any other Source engine game.

News Comments > Portal 2 Store
2. Re: Portal 2 Store Apr 19, 2011, 12:36 Tom

They need a robot horse.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: How to solve Windows 7 crashes in minutes. Apr 18, 2011, 11:13 Tom

That's like solving depression with suicide.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins
12. Re: Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins Apr 15, 2011, 12:57 Tom

Hey, y'all will be lucky if the game ISN'T DELAYED, let alone released early. This is Valve we're talking about here, right?

My reaction was... this is another out of many efforts Valve has been making to bring attention to indie games. And in this case they're tying it in with the launch of their own game in a creative way. I doubt I'll buy any of that stuff now but I might remember a name or two and eventually buy one someday.

To complain that you're not playing Portal 2 right now, BEFORE its release date... have just a smidgen of patience. Don't you have enough games to play right now anyway?

News Comments > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer
12. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer Apr 12, 2011, 18:11 Tom

Sorry, somehow I missed the part where they changed their plans and the look of the trailer just screamed MMO to me. This is actually a single player RPG eh. Maybe there is hope for it yet.

Thank you for the correction. HERP DERP THX?

1264 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo