Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1285 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Consoles Lead Skyrim Development
21. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 8, 2011, 15:05 Tom

Consoles = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PCs = whiny elitists and technical problems and complexity galore

Is it any wonder the ones holding the purse strings choose consoles every time now? Let's face it. Only the most hardcore or indie devs are going to make PC the lead platform now. And Bethesda ain't either of those.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Leisure Suit Larry Revival This Summer
8. Re: Leisure Suit Larry Revival This Summer Jun 6, 2011, 18:57 Tom

DangerDog wrote on Jun 6, 2011, 12:39:
Glad to see Al Lowe brought back, I'm still partial to the original version's artwork. I never got into the "big head" Larry.

Agreed.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow
28. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 14:01 Tom

DrEvil wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:37:
Tom wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:28:
Wow, you're really grasping at straws here now. Why do you feel the need to defend this so much?

I could say the same for you.

I feel that when developers make compromises, they should be recognized as such. To deny that they are compromises sends the wrong message (us consumers don't care or understand) and could ultimately lower the standards of excellence that products are held to.

Again, I feel the need to reiterate that compromises are not entirely a bad thing. To be a successful developer, you have to choose your battles, ship products, and make money. And it's in our best interest for talented developers like CD Projekt to be successful.

I don't disagree with the single solution aspect, but it's also clear they don't have a single solution. They have a user interface that it seems likely will share some common elements between platforms, but the PC version obviously will have some major differences.

Oh, so you think the UI in the console version will differ from the PC version? That's interesting. I doubt there will be any significant difference, as I can envision the current UI working easily with little to no change, but only time will tell.

26. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 13:28 Tom

Wow, you're really grasping at straws here now. Why do you feel the need to defend this so much?

I never used the word "consolized". I prefer to put it as I did: "elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment". I really feel that's more fact than opinion in this case.

For every UI, you can design it to work best with keyboard+mouse, or a controller, or make some compromises to have fair support for both. Or you can make separate UI's altogether that are designed specifically for each scenario - that's the best option, but also the most difficult and expensive. A few top notch console ports have taken that route but it's rare. The Witcher 2 has gone the compromise route and it seems most people have recognized that. It's not the end of the world. It's the expected outcome and we can live with it.

The same thing applies to running on a TV that you sit far away from vs. a computer monitor that you sit close to.

You can't solve every UI problem with a single solution that makes the most of every environment's unique characteristics. For most UI problems, a single solution will inevitably involve compromise.

21. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 11:06 Tom

DrEvil wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 10:54:
The game was developed on the PC for the PC. It. Is. Not. Consolized. *smacks descender*.

Console games are developed on the PC as well. Do you think they're developed on the consoles? Haha. As for whether elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment, the answer is absolutely yes. For example, the inventory system is a pain to navigate because it's designed to work with a controller. Or do you have some alternate explanation for why it sucks?

The game may have been released on the PC first, but make no mistake. It is definitely coming to consoles and was developed with that in mind. As I pointed out in a previous thread, there's even an x360 directory installed along with the game on the PC.

Btw, I'm not saying the game sucks - I think it's great. They walked the line between console and PC pretty well. I just think you'd have to be blind to not notice the console influence.

News Comments > History of Starbreeze
1. Re: History of Starbreeze Jun 3, 2011, 10:19 Tom

The geniuses who brought us Crystal Dreams 1 and 2 and FastTracker 1 and 2... RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KKvyqXtDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3GUfM7qkCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJvKzNQFv1Q

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Launch Trailer
5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Launch Trailer Jun 2, 2011, 12:23 Tom

It's a lot pathetic. It reeks of desperation. Looking forward to reading the reviews after this is out.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
10. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 17:41 Tom

DrEvil wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:59:
Of course the vendor's going to blame it on the application developer. The point is that if an application makes an invalid call to an API, the API should fail, not cause massive performance loss.

I'm not saying there's no witcher 2 bug here at all, just that the performance loss *should not be considered a Witcher 2 bug* specifically.

Sorry, but there's a big difference between "using an incorrect API" (NVIDIA's words) and "making an invalid call to an API" (your words). It's up to applications to use the correct APIs and use those APIs correctly. It sounds like The Witcher 2 is not in this case.

It's up to the API vendor to make the API behave reasonably. Without knowing more about what The Witcher 2 is doing, I'd say there's insufficient evidence to accuse NVIDIA of wrongdoing here.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer
22. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 10:11 Tom

SC2 was worth the purchase price for the mods (third party maps with totally different gameplay) alone, even though they've been slow to get going. I've had a ton of fun playing Desert Strike with friends against random opponents.  

News Comments > Futuremark Teases Three Games
9. Re: Futuremark Teases Three Games May 28, 2011, 01:36 Tom

Space sim???!! Ohh.... Don't get our hopes up.  

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms
22. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms May 27, 2011, 12:52 Tom

yuastnav wrote on May 27, 2011, 12:21:
You sound like someone who'd actually like Star Wars Episode 1.

Oooohhhhhh... OUCH that's just mean.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed
22. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 19:57 Tom

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 26, 2011, 18:43:
Tom wrote on May 26, 2011, 18:17:
Yes, the update is on Steam. Unfortunately, it's a 9GB update instead of the 15MB patch elsewhere. Apparently the Steam update system isn't smart enough to patch files - only redownload them in their entirety - and this game puts the bulk of its data in some very large files, the largest being pack0.dzip at about 8GB.

Then just delete that file. Your saves are elsewhere anyway.

Huh? Why would I do that? Steam would just have to redownload it. The Steam update worked fine without any intervention. I was just commenting on its inefficiency. Fortunately I don't have to worry about downloading 9GB of data, and I'd rather have something be inefficient than broken. I fired up the game and it worked fine, including the Troll Trouble DLC. People with slow connections or caps might not be so happy though.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed
13. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 18:17 Tom

Yes, the update is on Steam. Unfortunately, it's a 9GB update instead of the 15MB patch elsewhere. Apparently the Steam update system isn't smart enough to patch files - only redownload them in their entirety - and this game puts the bulk of its data in some very large files, the largest being pack0.dzip at about 8GB.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation May 26, 2011, 00:17 Tom

Heh. It never hit me until I watched this video, but this sounds kinda like a modern day Police Quest. It's been 24 years... I wonder if anyone's written up a good comparison.  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Nears
23. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nears May 25, 2011, 17:27 Tom

Whether or not the game is currently out on consoles is hardly relevant, I think. Playing it, especially after having played the first one, it's clearly designed with consoles in mind and will certainly be released on consoles. I don't fault the developers for that. There's $$$ in consoles, and they need $$$ to continue making games. The important thing is how much of a detriment to the game the console-minded design decisions are.

I'd say on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is a horrific console port and 10 is a PC game in all its glory, this game is about a 7 maybe. With some work I think they could bring it up to an 8 or maybe even a 9.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Nears
9. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nears May 25, 2011, 12:45 Tom

North on the compass would be great, I'll have to track down that mod. A separate volume control for voices would also be really helpful. Already did the weightless mod. Don't need any other changes.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation May 25, 2011, 01:31 Tom

The Witcher 2 contains the following directory in plain sight:
CookedPC\sounds\x360\

Pretty sure you can guess what the x360 stands for.

News Comments > Gold - Duke Nukem Forever
37. Re: Gold - Duke Nukem Forever May 24, 2011, 15:20 Tom

Jonny5 wrote on May 24, 2011, 12:45:
DITTO, my GOD it has been awhile, SO many gaming websites that do not even exist anymore I followed this games development.

Fortunately the only one that matters is still going strong after all these years!

News Comments > Brink Patched
10. Re: Brink Patched May 24, 2011, 10:18 Tom

Huh. I just tried Quake Live for the first time like 2 weeks ago (ya I know, a little late to the party on that one) and it worked fine in FF4 with no hacks. I didn't even have to restart the browser. Totally seamless.  

News Comments > Free RIFT Character Transfers Coming
12. Re: Free RIFT Character Transfers Coming May 23, 2011, 16:53 Tom

"It's good to be the king!"  

1285 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo