Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1148 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > New U6 Project
2. Re: New U6 Project Jul 6, 2010, 14:12 Tom

U6 is one of my favorite games ever. VERY special game to me. But I just couldn't get into this mod because of the Dungeon Siege engine. I'm not sure if it was more because the engine was dated, or because it just it wasn't suited to U6, or what, but it was disappointing.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 29, 2010, 23:22 Tom

Um, yes. I've used it for 13 years and I'm not about to quit anytime soon.

It's one of the finest pieces of software I've ever used, actually. It's a miracle that they (AOL, post-Frankel devs) somehow managed to not screw it up after all this time.

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Patch Wednesday
7. Re: Bad Company 2 Patch Wednesday Jun 29, 2010, 00:25 Tom

Nice, they're making the uzi even more powerful? I already uzi-snipe people at long range all the time, even without the scope sometimes. Although it's fun with the scope ... there's nothing like sniping with a scoped uzi. It's so wrong, but so right!  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 25, 2010, 14:15 Tom

Agreed that FF13 was mostly teh sux0r, but there's hardly any connection between FF13 and FF14.  

News Comments > OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details
5. Re: OnLive Launches Thursday, New Details Jun 15, 2010, 11:14 Tom

Budget gaming rig for $1700? That's ridiculous. You can build a nice system for around $1000. Budget should be more like $500-600. And I mean a DESKTOP system, not a laptop. Laptops are not meant for gaming, period.  

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Plans
18. Re: Bad Company 2 Plans Jun 2, 2010, 08:55 Tom

Ya I agree w/ #17, the only problem with snipers is when there are a bunch of them on your team sitting back. One of the surest ways to lose is to have everyone go sniper and not actually accomplish anything useful.

Vehicles seem pretty well balanced to me, and lots of fun. Air vehicles though... they don't stand a chance against the super-buffed tracer darts. That was a big mistake IMO. I can almost always take down any air vehicle within seconds of spotting it, even all the way across the map, and there's nothing they can do about it. I could see making tracer darts a little faster than they were originally, but not near instant hit across the whole map.

I think the only thing left that really annoys me in this game is that they STILL haven't bothered to fix stat tracking for the M1. You can't get the award for having bronze stars in everything because you can't get the bronze star for the M1!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 15:12 Tom

Tumbler wrote on May 19, 2010, 13:12:
# Scanning for minerals has been optimized

Anyone able to clarify what that means? I wouldn't mind playing through the game again on the hardest difficulty if they made that part of the game less time consuming. The planet should literally have bright spots where you should be firing probes. That would make it crazy easy but who fucking cares? Who wants to sit there watching a planet turn?

IMO they should've copied how Star Control 2 did this back in 1992. They were on the right track with the first Mass Effect. They should've built on that instead of replacing it with something so boring and tedious.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 13, 2010, 20:55 Tom

Yep, there goes the credibility of that site. Not that I had ever heard of it before anyway.

CHA-CHING!

News Comments > Michael Pachter Interview
5. Re: Michael Pachter Interview May 12, 2010, 11:19 Tom

If this guy is wrong so much, why do people pay so much attention to him? Are we so desperate for a target of ridicule?  

News Comments > LucasArts Shakeup
24. Re: LucasArts Shakeup May 7, 2010, 17:35 Tom

Black Prophecy eh, never heard of it. They've got the pretty graphics but is there a game there? Looks like maybe we'll get a chance to find out in another couple of months.

Btw, for those who miss Wing Commander, there have actually been a few good fan projects based on it. I've played through most of Wing Commander Standoff, which is a new story set between WC2 and WC3. It's one of very few fan projects I've seen that includes quality new content while staying true to the original games. It can be quite difficult, though. It's available as a series of episodes and is based on a modified Secret Ops engine, all of which can be downloaded at:
http://standoff.solsector.net/

There are also some Privateer remakes that are very close to the original game from what I hear, but I don't think I ever got around to trying them:
http://www.wcnews.com/fanprojects/

7. Re: LucasArts Shakeup May 7, 2010, 12:50 Tom

There have been plenty of mediocre-at-best space sim games in the many years since the genre was abandoned by competent professionals. I've tried a bunch of them. Some have been worse than others, but they've all sucked.

Tie Fighter, Descent: Freespace, Wing Commander 1 and 2... these were GAMES with single player, well designed gameplay mechanics and missions, STORYLINE, artwork and music that was actually good. The independent efforts in this space (haha) have been lacking almost everything that makes a game a game. They are empty shells of games. They look like they're space sim games, especially in screenshots, but they don't play like it. Not by a longshot.

I would love to be proven wrong someday. But the years are wearing on and there is just nothing.

2. Re: LucasArts Shakeup May 7, 2010, 11:51 Tom

Dream on. Those days are over. In fact, there will never be another good space sim game of any kind. Target audience is too small, apparently. No $$$ to be made.  

News Comments > Yee Against Banning Ultra-Violent Games
10. Re: Yee Against Banning Ultra-Violent Games May 5, 2010, 16:23 Tom

PHJF wrote on May 5, 2010, 14:55:
The ESRB *does* play, and judge, ALL the content within a game. AFAIK.

And Hot Coffee was just a fluke and very unlikely to happen again.

This is not accurate - the ESRB doesn't play games at all. They just watch footage submitted to them by the game company. The game company is obligated to ensure such footage is complete based on the threat of what the ESRB will do if it finds out later on that the footage was not complete.

News Comments > New Audigy Drivers
20. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 18:43 Tom

I've tried onboard audio on several machines old and new, and the analog performance varies. Sometimes there is electrical interference noise in the playback, the recording, or both. Sometimes the playback leaks into the recording. Sometimes there are glitches. But in most cases, it's fine.

I'm not a hardware engineer but my guess is that the usage of the onboard audio chip is critical for good analog performance. Maybe the noise comes from poor shielding, poor components that it's hooked up to, bad design that is generating more noise than other designs, etc. All I can say is that sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.

My recommendation to people these days is to try the onboard audio first. If there's noise or other problems, then get a sound card. Most modern games do all their mixing in software, plus modern Windows does everything in software, so hardware audio features are useless to most people nowadays. It just has to be a dumb pipe, but a clean one.

News Comments > DotA Dev's Valve Announce Soon?
5. Re: DotA Dev's Valve Announce Soon? May 2, 2010, 08:13 Tom

I'm not a big DOTA fan but I've played hundreds of custom War3 maps, mostly tower defenses with the latest being Legion TD, and have found them much more entertaining than the base RTS game. Competitive online RTS play is just too difficult and un-fun to get into for me. Very steep learning curve. I've enjoyed the single player in RTS games but multi is just nuts. Thank goodness for the incredibly strong custom map support in War3, and it looks like Starcraft 2 is going to take it to a whole new level.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 29, 2010, 23:11 Tom

Wow, that is some serious Adobe beatdown!  

News Comments > StarCraft II Mac Beta Client
6. Re: StarCraft II Mac Beta Client Apr 29, 2010, 15:24 Tom

MattyC wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 11:49:
Yay. I have been wanting to see how this will run on my 2007 MacBook Pro.

If it's anything like my 2009 MacBook Pro, I'm guessing... hotter than Hades.

News Comments > Play BC2 to Unlock Medal of Honor M24
8. Re: Play BC2 to Unlock Medal of Honor M24 Apr 28, 2010, 18:40 Tom

Agreed, M1 stats need to be implemented... And that veteran web site is awful. First it was broken, then it was down, then it was "coming back soon" for like a month or two, then they re-implemented it and it still didn't work, leaking info about their internal infrastructure in its useless error messages, now I'm trying it again and it STILL doesn't work.

The current broken behavior lets me select BF2, enter my old GameSpy username and password (which I know is correct because I can log in with it on the GameSpy site), then it delivers to me a broken web page with a plain white background, no formatting, and forms for registering every BF game EXCEPT FOR BF2.

News Comments > Sega Layoffs, Reorganization
4. Re: Sega Layoffs, Reorganization Apr 22, 2010, 23:54 Tom

Sega is still very big in Japan. Most of the best PS3 games I've played have been imports from them - Valkyria Chronicles and the Yakuza series.  

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Weapon Tweak Details
24. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Weapon Tweak Details Apr 22, 2010, 00:50 Tom

Just played for about 5 hours. Non-hardcore, rush maps. I was happy to find that the M60's nerfs didn't affect me at all - I still kill with it just like I did before. Usually long range, rapid one or two round bursts, while stationary. Occasionally longer bursts at close to medium range, and sometimes spray n' pray at point blank. It all feels the same. Plenty of power without burning through ammo too quick.

The tracer is kind of silly now. That wasn't necessary. I think it was more fun before...

Carl still has great splash and the uzi feels the same. I never used the PP2000 much because I always found myself burning through the ammo way too quick, plus I love sniping people across the map with a scoped uzi. It's so wrong. Kinda takes me back to the MAC-10 in CS.

1148 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo