Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1201 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations
32. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations Nov 17, 2010, 14:50 Tom

Mmn FF7.. I don't think it's just nostalgia for that one, but it definitely seems to be a polarizing game. The graphics are really dated now but for the time they were great. That blend of 2D and 3D was something special. Now it's a lost art.

As for the translation, there have been worse. That can be remedied by playing it in the original Japanese, though. You know, there are bits of dialogue that were simply omitted from the translation. For example, near the beginning when Jessie is explaining about the sensor sweeps on the trains, she explains:

[whisperingly] Since it gets dark, there's a lot of chikan (groping)... in the ID detection area.

I think they left that out of the English version.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations
19. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations Nov 16, 2010, 15:58 Tom

Just because Final Fantasy and Square Enix suck nowadays doesn't mean all Japanese developers suck. There are some excellent RPGs on the PS3. For example, Ryuu ga gotoku series (Yakuza), Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, Atelier series.  

News Comments > WoW Welcomes You Back
23. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 14:45 Tom

Death to MMOs!!! Worst genre ever created.  

News Comments > TF2 Maintenance Tuesday
9. Re: TF2 Maintenance Tuesday Nov 6, 2010, 16:42 Tom

Hey, it was good while it lasted. I got a couple hundred hours of fun out of it, which is more than I can say for most games. It's sad to see it go down like this, but there are also plenty of other games out there that need playing.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Delay?
4. Re: The Old Republic Delay? Nov 6, 2010, 15:09 Tom

Yeah I can see it now... You create your level 1 character, get a generic quest from some mindless NPC, then run around slicing up rats with a light saber. 5-10 hits and the little suckers go down. Meanwhile, 50 other people just like you are doing the same thing right next to you. Gotta love MMOs!  

News Comments > TF2 Contributor Payday
12. Re: TF2 Contributor Payday Oct 22, 2010, 10:44 Tom

Not sure how you figure..? Self-employment tax is 15.3%. As an employee you'd be paying half of that, or 7.65%. So your effective tax rate is increased by 7.65% being self-employed. That's a bit different from a 25% increase.  

News Comments > TF2 Contributor Payday
10. Re: TF2 Contributor Payday Oct 22, 2010, 09:13 Tom

I don't think it would be such a big deal in the US. All you have to do is report it as self-employment income as a sole proprietor. You are running a small business on the side. You can give it a name or just use your legal name to keep things simple. No need to incorporate, do payroll, or any of that crap. Just get a 1099 form from Valve (they are legally obligated to provide one) and report it as income on a schedule C at next tax time. Until then, you might want to start making quarterly estimated tax payments, easily done online through EFTPS for federal and your state's web site for state, based on your previous year's (lower) income so that the timing of your income is not an issue. It's known as the safe-harbor method, look it up.

Tax rate is typically the same as if you'd earned it at a regular job working for someone else, except you have to pay 100% of medicare and social security. Normally your employer pays half of that. This is captured by the payment of federal self-employment (SE) tax in addition to the usual income taxes. TurboTax or whatever program you like can help you with this and tell you how much to pay for estimated taxes.

Of course, I'm not an accountant or tax consultant, but I can say that after much research, doing this stuff in reality ended up being a lot simpler than I expected. No trouble with the tax man yet.

(Note - this all assumes that this royalty income can be treated like income received in exchange for work performed / services rendered. If that's not true and it's taxed differently, then maybe things aren't so simple!)

News Comments > On PC Battlefield 3
23. Re: On PC Battlefield 3 Oct 21, 2010, 12:08 Tom

born2expire wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 11:48:
DICE couldn't make a proper server browser to save their lives. I miss the days of ASE and gamespy arcade, now every game has to has their own shitty ingame browser.

DICE will support BF3 for what, 3 months tops at release? Even if BF3 is 2 years away I'm sure DICE will announce and release at least 3 games before BF3.

The server browser that shipped with BC2 was absolute garbage. However, they soon replaced it with a much better one which really isn't that bad.

Screw GameSpy. They were great when it was QuakeSpy. After that it just turned into an over-commercialized half-baked mess. I'm glad games have their own server browsers now. And the less involved GameSpy is with the whole thing, the better.

News Comments > Steam Passes 30M Users
10. Re: Steam Passes 30M Users Oct 18, 2010, 12:35 Tom

DanteUK wrote on Oct 18, 2010, 12:29:
I wonder what there 'active' user count is on a weekly basis, no where 30 million I bet. I suspect they have a lot of dormant accounts like mine.
Well it says in the post "over six million unique gamers accessing Steam each day", so that doesn't leave much to the imagination.

News Comments > Steam Passes 30M Users
2. Re: Steam Passes 30M Users Oct 18, 2010, 11:26 Tom

400 giga-what?  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Patch Plans, Trial Extended
23. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Patch Plans, Trial Extended Oct 18, 2010, 10:18 Tom

All MMOs suck by definition, so this is no great loss.  

News Comments > EA Bashing
72. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 16:25 Tom

Don't work in the game industry. Problem solved. Or if you really can't help yourself, at least have the good sense to GTFO as soon as the acquisition hits.

Seems to me that EA Louse came to his senses and decided to ensure a one-way trip out of that hellhole.

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
6. Re: NVIDIA Beta Derivers Oct 12, 2010, 01:07 Tom

Derivers are those jerks in math class who screw up the curve.  

News Comments > OnLive Drops Subscription Fees
33. Re: OnLive Drops Subscription Fees Oct 5, 2010, 11:08 Tom

Due to the unique way OnLive works, developers don't have to prepare a separate demo version of the game. They can use the full version of the game as the demo without any extra work or concern that it will be hacked.

There's no demo of Assassin's Creed 2 on Steam or the PS3 store. I don't think there's a demo for it anywhere.

31. Re: OnLive Drops Subscription Fees Oct 5, 2010, 10:43 Tom

To clear up some confusion about how this works now... it's very simple. It's like remotely logging into someone else's game console. Once logged in, you have to go to the store to find a game to play. For each game available in the store, you can choose to pay to rent it for a few days, pay to rent it indefinitely ("buy?"), or play the demo for free. The demo I played was for Assassin's Creed 2. It seemed to be the full game, but just limited to 30 minutes. After 30 minutes it dumps you out. You can start over and do another 30 minute demo if you want.  

21. Re: OnLive Drops Subscription Fees Oct 5, 2010, 00:44 Tom

After all the stories and talk here about OnLive, this story today finally convinced me to try out the service. And what do you know, it works. Passably, anyway. This could be useful for demos at least if you're feeling too lazy to download+install or your computer sucks or your gfx card is broken, etc.

Of course, the max resolution of 1280x720 is poor (but not bad given that it has to be compressed in real-time and streamed over the Internet), the controller support is poor (guess it's too hard to program a decent control mapping UI), you can't hack the demos to remove time limits, etc.

But the real killer is the bandwidth usage. It was pulling down about 750KB/sec for me. That's 6Mbps, or 2.7GB/hour. That would burn through some monthly caps in just a few hours. If your cap is more like 250GB/month you might be ok, but have fun knowing that every hour of gameplay is making a significant dent in your monthly limit...

If the backwards business model doesn't kill OnLive, bandwidth caps just might. But at least they achieved the technical feat they set out to. That's one big hammer.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: ... Sep 30, 2010, 16:39 Tom

PoopieMoopie wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 15:32:
they just want to inhibit some of the demand, remember when the Wii came out? you can't even SEE one in the stores for the first year....they can start at $350 and we'll still see it on ebay for more.
$300 for a somewhat revolutionary tech is cheap these days.

Exactly.. It took several years for the Wii to become easily available, actually. That's CRAZY. They should learn from that and start the price off high. $300 might be high enough. It will be interesting to see.

News Comments > StarCraft II Reporting
6. Re: StarCraft II Reporting Sep 29, 2010, 19:41 Tom

Heh. Don't let a few idiots ruin the game for you. Play it the way you want. You don't have to answer to anybody on there.

I've been playing on a fairly regular basis along with some friends and I'm doing it just for fun. It's a competitive game, though. If you play a vs. match, one team has to lose. You have to play better than your opponents if you want to win.

Memorizing strategies should come naturally as you play, learn from your mistakes, and develop your game. Reading guides can accelerate that development, but it certainly isn't necessary. I've watched a few videos on YouTube, gotten some tips from friends (who are way better than me), and the rest has just come from playing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 23, 2010, 11:46 Tom

They took a lot of flak for removing "Other OS" support in the name of anti-piracy, so I guess this time they figured they'd at least try to redirect it with some lame excuse. This is pretty funny/sad though.  

1201 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo