Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1247 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: How to solve Windows 7 crashes in minutes. Apr 18, 2011, 11:13 Tom

That's like solving depression with suicide.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins
12. Re: Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins Apr 15, 2011, 12:57 Tom

Hey, y'all will be lucky if the game ISN'T DELAYED, let alone released early. This is Valve we're talking about here, right?

My reaction was... this is another out of many efforts Valve has been making to bring attention to indie games. And in this case they're tying it in with the launch of their own game in a creative way. I doubt I'll buy any of that stuff now but I might remember a name or two and eventually buy one someday.

To complain that you're not playing Portal 2 right now, BEFORE its release date... have just a smidgen of patience. Don't you have enough games to play right now anyway?

News Comments > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer
12. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer Apr 12, 2011, 18:11 Tom

Sorry, somehow I missed the part where they changed their plans and the look of the trailer just screamed MMO to me. This is actually a single player RPG eh. Maybe there is hope for it yet.

Thank you for the correction. HERP DERP THX?

News Comments > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer
6. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer Apr 12, 2011, 12:51 Tom

Just what the world needs, another fantasy MMO.  

News Comments > King's Quest III Redux
11. Re: King's Quest III Redux Apr 9, 2011, 03:13 Tom

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 00:53:
What I really hated about early Sierra games was how you could miss something early on and then find out that screws you 3 hours later. That kind of design should be banned.

That kind of thing still happens today I think. The difference is that it's no longer intentional.

News Comments > King's Quest III Redux
8. Re: King's Quest III Redux Apr 9, 2011, 00:48 Tom

My most memorable moment in a Sierra adventure game was a death. I flushed the toilet in the sleazy bar at the beginning of Leisure Suit Larry 1. The bathroom filled up with water and I drowned to death. I was absolutely thrilled. One of my finest gaming moments.  

News Comments > Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam
20. Re: Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam Apr 7, 2011, 14:57 Tom

Why dance around the issue with implications when you can come out and say it directly? He talks about this technology difference and significant gulf between Steam and Impulse, but he doesn't actually say which one he thinks is superior. Perhaps there is significance to this.  

News Comments > West, Zampella Accuse Activision of Fraud
9. Re: West, Zampella Accuse Activision of Fraud Apr 2, 2011, 14:45 Tom

Well, if you've paid attention here you might know a little more now, eh?

But really, this is just basic business sense.

6. Re: West, Zampella Accuse Activision of Fraud Apr 2, 2011, 14:01 Tom

Kajetan wrote on Apr 2, 2011, 13:01:
Tom wrote on Apr 2, 2011, 12:59:
How dumb are these guys?
Yes, why haven't they asked you?

And if they had asked you? What would your response have been?

3. Re: West, Zampella Accuse Activision of Fraud Apr 2, 2011, 12:59 Tom

When shady CEO guy tells you "don't worry about it, just sign it", and you sign it, you're gonna get screwed. How dumb are these guys?  

News Comments > A Fool and His News 2011, Part 1
10. Re: A Fool and His News 2011, Part 1 Apr 1, 2011, 13:37 Tom

Sure most of them are dumb, but I think it's usually worth it for the few gems. (Could be said about most things in life I guess.) Blizzard has done a fine job this year - that StarCraft video wins on multiple levels.  

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA
11. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Apr 1, 2011, 10:45 Tom

BC2 is only $20 on Steam, regular price now. So is the real BF2, which would run fine on older systems and also has jets. Install through Steam is trivial. $20 is not much to ask for a game that can easily give you hundreds of hours of fun. I guess there are plenty of people who just won't pay anything for anything though.  

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA
7. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 16:18 Tom

Still have no idea why someone would play this instead of BC2...  

News Comments > Ultima IV Remake Speculation
13. Re: Ultima IV Remake Speculation Mar 30, 2011, 00:12 Tom

Yeah, that was another thing about Ultima VI and other Origin games of that era... they were among the first to really need a hard drive. Playing from floppies would have sucked. I have no idea how much the 21MB Fuji hard drive I had cost, but I know I was lucky to have it.  

News Comments > Ultima IV Remake Speculation
11. Re: Ultima IV Remake Speculation Mar 29, 2011, 23:55 Tom

Ultima VI, VII, and VII part 2 (SI) were the ones I had the opportunity to play. These were very special games. I can imagine the difficulty in trying to understand and appreciate them if you didn't get a chance to play them back then. Ultima VI will seem quite primitive if you try it today, but at the time it was a revolution in technology. Super detailed, huge open world with no loading screens. Extremely non-linear game. A story that was interesting, unique, and made you think and learn. Tons of interaction with objects and people in the world. The NPCs were not cookie cutter - they were fun to talk to, they had unique hand-drawn portraits, they went about their lives according to actual schedules, they would react to what you did. They had meaningful existences. It puts modern games like Oblivion to absolute shame. And then Ultima VII came along and took it all to a whole new level, while also boldly striking out in new directions.

When Origin was at the top of their game, it was a wonderful and amazing thing to behold. Their motto was "We Create Worlds" and they meant it.

While a remake has the potential to be incredibly awesome, I would absolutely NOT expect any remake made nowadays to come close to approaching the greatness of these games. Not from fans, and especially not from publisher-backed developers. The level of optimism here is shocking. Probably the only way to experience these games properly now and in the foreseeable future is to use a faithful recreation of the original game engine such as Exult.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
5. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Mar 25, 2011, 13:21 Tom

The animation looked ok to me. Maybe not best ever, but there are more important things to get right. As for the trailer being made with a controller, I noticed that too, but what conclusion are you trying to draw from that? It doesn't give any indication as to whether the PC version will have good mouse support or not...  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 25, 2011, 02:06 Tom

We don't care; we don't have to. We're the phone company.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4163/saturday-night-live-ernestine

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 13:51 Tom

Ok I can understand playing something like Assassin's Creed on the PC with a controller... it's third person.

BUT THIS IS AN FPS.

Better with a controller??? Was that guy just stupid or is the game really that bad?

News Comments > Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible
16. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 14:17 Tom

^Drag0n^ wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 14:09:
License? Nah, they'd just buy them and hire the programmers. ;-)

Perhaps, and that was my first thought. They certainly have the cash. But it might be better for the world if they did a licensing deal instead of an outright purchase. I would hate to see standalone FRAPS go away with the requirement that Steam be used instead. FRAPS is useful in many situations where Steam cannot be used or would not be appropriate.

Of course, Valve could buy them and still keep standalone FRAPS alive.. but for how long? I think chances of its survival might be better with a licensing deal. Not sure though.

Btw in response to some other comments here.. broadband competition and availability sucks in the US as well. I live in a high income town not far from major cities yet I have exactly one broadband option, cable, with the company rated worst ISP in the US for customer service. But at least it still beats dialup (when it's not down).

News Comments > Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible
5. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 11:25 Tom

Valve should just license FRAPS for integration into Steam. But I guess they've already done a good chunk of the work by making the overlay work with a wide variety of games (despite the best efforts of those morons at Even Balance).

They did a great job with the new screenshot feature. I'm sure tons of people looked at that and said wow, wouldn't it be great if they took it to the next level and did the same thing for video.

1247 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo