Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1112 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Speedier BC2 Server Browsing
13. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 11:47 Tom

Haven't needed the server browser once so far. Usually I join on a friend, otherwise I use the Play Now button - which works fine. Occasionally it'll put me on an undesirable server, in which case I disconnect and try again. Never takes more than 2 or 3 attempts and it loads really fast.

So yeah, it'd be nice if they'd make the server browser usable, but the game doesn't NEED it so I can see why it's been low priority.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA Driver Issue
19. Re: NVIDIA Driver Issue Mar 5, 2010, 10:11 Tom

Funny, it was an ATI card (X1900XT) that melted itself for me that made me start getting all paranoid about temperatures and fan control.

I think both ATI and NVIDIA are equally guilty when it comes to crazy temperatures and meltdowns. Sadly, it only seems like it's going to get worse.

News Comments > NVIDIA Driver Issue
8. Re: NVIDIA Driver Issue Mar 5, 2010, 00:24 Tom

"We could be the Harley-Davidson of graphics cards!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVjZqC1AE4

Seriously though, best solution is to use RivaTuner to reprogram the fan controller, as described here:
http://www.overclock.net/3140251-post1.html

It's kind of a pain to set up, but offers extremely fine grained control with respect to time and fan speed. You can set up the temperature/noise tradeoff just the way you want it.

(Actually, I would prefer to not have to get involved in making this tradeoff in the first place...)

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Pathfinding Trailer
2. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Pathfinding Trailer Feb 27, 2010, 14:34 Tom

Wow, that really is cool! Looks like a great improvement over good ol' A*.  

News Comments > Subversion Details
3. Re: Subversion Details Feb 22, 2010, 21:32 Tom

I hope they're using SVN for the code.  

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DirectX 11 Details
11. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DirectX 11 Details Feb 20, 2010, 13:04 Tom

Snipers are hard enough to hit when they're crouching by cover up on the hills near the attacker's spawn. Prone is not necessary. Don't see the need for it, although crouch toggle would be kinda nice.

This game is a ton of fun. It's like BF2 all over again for me. Can't wait to play on some more maps.

News Comments > GPG on the Cost of Independence
6. Re: GPG on the Cost of Independence Feb 18, 2010, 13:31 Tom

Stormsinger wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 12:22:
When did we decide to let the psychopaths run the world?

November 7th, 2000 and November 2nd, 2004.

News Comments > EA Financials
2. Re: EA Financials Feb 8, 2010, 18:10 Tom

Over a billion in revenue? Great. How about a net profit instead of a net loss? What do I know about business, though.

Btw, regarding the "Five titles launched this quarter with a Metacritic rating of 80 or above" - that's five titles out of how many total? That kind of statement seems rather dubious without some perspective. But I guess it comes back to expectations.

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 Trailer
14. Re: Silent Hunter 5 Trailer Jan 20, 2010, 22:10 Tom

Fond memories:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/688-attack-sub

bfg9000 wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 21:23:
Ok enough with the WWI-II era Silent Hunters, just when are they going to do a modern sim?

News Comments > Rockstar San Diego Revolt
28. Re: Rockstar San Diego Revolt Jan 9, 2010, 10:52 Tom

There's always a market for talent. I would hardly assume that if you quit a place like that, the next one would be the same. You have a responsibility to yourself and your family to find a better job. But it does sound like game development is worse than most industries overall. It's sad, but you should probably look outside game development if you want better working conditions. I've always told people that I wouldn't consider working in game development again because of the low pay, crazy hours, and most importantly, the huge number of people who are willing to put up with it just because they want to make games. That last problem is huge.

There are plenty of places outside of game development that need skilled developers. I work 8 hours a day on average, never on weekends, have the respect of my peers, and a huge variety of interesting challenges that will keep me busy forever. And I'm probably getting paid more than most of these guys. I work on a lot of the same stuff that a game developer might work on, but applied to solving real-world problems in industry.

Just get out of game development, that's my message to those who are suffering... Use your network. You can do it.

News Comments > Borderlands Patches
1. Re: Borderlands Patches Jan 8, 2010, 14:05 Tom

I saw this patch get downloaded by Steam yesterday, but there were no release notes. Still no release notes today. It's really important to provide release notes at the same time as the actual updates when distributing updates automatically through services like Steam. Otherwise, ok, I'm getting an update, which probably resets all my customizations/settings AGAIN (???), and I have no way to know if it even fixes the multiplayer drop bugs that made me quit playing until they fix it (if they ever do). I'm not wasting my time with this again until there's at least some indication that this problem has been fixed.

Valve does a good job providing release notes for their own games but it appears that third parties are slacking. Why? I think Valve/Steam ought to disallow any updates that don't include immediate release notes. Let users know what's going on. Please.

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
4. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 17, 2009, 21:00 Tom

I don't need it, but it would be nice. Ever watch CPU usage when playing a YouTube HD video full-screen? It ain't pretty. Even on a 2.67GHz Core 2 Duo. Sometimes I wonder if I'm even getting full framerate. It's a world of difference from playing H.264 content via ffdshow.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
1. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 17, 2009, 18:34 Tom

Drats. No support for Flash acceleration for 8800 GTS 320MB and 640MB cards. Another slight incentive to build a new box.  

News Comments > Wardell on GFWL: "They Take Over, I'm Done"
7. Re: Wardell on GFWL: Oct 1, 2009, 11:40 Tom

If it's so hard to get stuff onto Steam, then why are there so many crap / indie titles on there?  

News Comments > Strategic Command WWII Global Conflict Announced
4. Re: Strategic Command WWII Global Conflict Announced Sep 16, 2009, 15:04 Tom

"How should Japan react to the crippling US embargo depriving it of its much needed resources to carry on her war with China?"

Ooh, they went there eh, nice. I wonder how many people saw this statement and had no idea what they were talking about.

News Comments > On Crysis 2
9. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 22:51 Tom

You're supposed to shoot them in the head, not the back. Or better yet, the back of the head.

In my playthrough of the game, the AI had both good and bad moments but overall I thought it behaved reasonably well. I really liked that they didn't magically know where you are all the time. I'd take that over the usual omniscience even if it means the occasional bout of stupidity.

News Comments > Big Daddy Replacements
20. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 16:47 Tom

I also played all the way through Bioshock without hitting any bugs - significant or otherwise. Then again, I take steps to ensure that my computing experience is as trouble free as possible.

News Comments > UT3 UI Fixes Planned
17. um.. Nov 15, 2007, 09:10 Tom

I thought the UI in the demo was pretty cool... I didn't have any trouble using it, and it was a little different/unique. Attention to detail seemed to be there. It was not the same boring menu structure that most of PC FPSs have.

I think the problem in this case is that some PC gamers are waaaay too quick to label things as consolish and therefore automatically bad. What, specifically, did you not like about the UI?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Quake 1 Nov 5, 2007, 14:34 Tom

Lightning gun + water. Oh yeah.

News Comments > Hellgate Adware, Hell of a EULA
7. Re: Illegal software Oct 18, 2007, 22:10 Tom

Isn't the actual law that your technically don't OWN any software. You just own the right to operate it.
Yes, it's called licensing. But there is another way! Want to OWN software? Or media? Or anything? It's easy. Just create it yourself.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 22:10.

1112 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo