Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1166 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow
8. Re: Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow Oct 15, 2012, 23:00 Tom

This game was fun for a time, but it inevitably leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Lots of stuff contributes to that but the AH is probably the biggest problem IMO. Really just sucks the fun right out of it.

I envy those who decided to pass. My time would've been better spent on any number of other games...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Roberts Space Industries Website Back
13. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 22:37 Tom

Aero wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 20:41:
There is a reason there aren't a lot of space sims around these days, and it's not just because Mr. Roberts was off making movies. How's Jumpgate Evolution coming along? Oh, right.

Jumpgate was crap. So what?

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
58. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 10, 2012, 18:35 Tom

Yeah, the one thing he had to do to make this right ... DON'T MAKE AN MMO ... *sigh*

Also, he was eager to talk up the PC and yet every shot of him actually doing something with the game was with what looked like an XBox controller. What's up with that? Screw that. If it's really a simulation, give us TrackIR and a clickable cockpit, please. I guess that's asking for a lot though.

Still CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Specs
4. Re: Assassin's Creed III Specs Sep 26, 2012, 23:39 Tom

Games can be written to use DX11 as the API for 3D rendering, but still support DX9-class hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D#Direct3D_11

It is the natural choice when XP compatibility is no longer a concern.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: App store a disaster for developers Sep 25, 2012, 17:33 Tom

Creston wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:07:
Which is fine. But then stop bitching about it. And from the way the new appstore works, I somehow doubt that's where the most sales are. The way Apple shits all over indie developers, in contrast to a place like Steam, it's beyond comprehension why ANYONE would make apps for those assholes.

I'm sure they're crying all the way to the bank.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Videos
23. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 00:41 Tom

nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 21:18:
Considering it's steamworks this time, the networking should be a lot smother.

As far as the other issues, look here.

Does Steamworks really provide that level of fundamental networking support for games? If so did they use it? I wonder.

As for the other issues, thanks for the links. I hadn't seen that. Good of them to recognize where they screwed up and make an effort to fix it next time around. Maybe there is hope for these guys after all. Still going to be cautious though.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Videos
16. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 16, 2012, 20:54 Tom

What killed Borderlands for me was the buggy netcode. Friends kept getting randomly disconnected, and after reconnecting the quest tracking would be screwed up. Very frustrating, and not fixed in the first big patch (which was a long time coming I believe). I uninstalled it after that and am very wary of Borderlands 2.

I concur with the PC port issues btw. Out of the box, Borderlands had a bunch issues like messed up mouse movement, couldn't use the scroll wheel on the mouse when it was REALLY needed, there was some problem with vsync or something, keybinding problems, and other stuff as I recall. Just really shoddy work.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light
28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 11:44 Tom

Been playing all morning and I gotta say ... this game is amazing. It's a miracle of gaming. I can't believe it. I was so sad when I stupidly blew up the enemy ship while my two veteran Mantis fighters were on it! Too trigger happy... *cries* But I may yet prevail.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light
16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 00:51 Tom

Just did my first real game, made it to sector 8 on easy without TOO much trouble, then a rebel ship wiped the floor with me.

This game is every bit as good as I hoped it would be after reading the positive comments about it here. Wow! I am thirsty for more.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
39. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 23:37 Tom

WyldKat wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 21:27:
Tried it. It's as bad as the X series in that it suffers from a fairly bland, and sterile feeling game world.

Privateer felt epic mostly because of the world you played in. The newer games have better graphics, physics, and more features but they just lack in presenting a believable world to be a part of.

"We Create Worlds"

Unfortunately, even those who created worlds couldn't seem to repeat that success after Origin's demise. Would that the conditions that led to greatness be somehow recreated in this modern era.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
35. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 19:53 Tom

For me, Freelancer was disappointing not because it wasn't a great game, but because it was a fair game. It had some elements of a good game - good graphics, good controls, good combat, some interesting exploration. But unlike Wing Commander (1 and 2 at least), it had an utterly forgettable story and cast of characters. That was the real let down for me.

I just went and read the summary of the story on Wikipedia and NOTHING about it seemed even vaguely familiar - yet I played through the whole game on release. That is not a good sign, and a far cry from Wing Commander (1 and 2 - things went downhill after 2 IMO but I'm sure others would disagree.)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 8, 2012, 11:47 Tom

Love the redshirt.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 22:48 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 21:36:
Yeah, I'm very cautious about this. I like the idea in theory, but where's the software going to come from?

Perhaps one or two things might come from the 826+ people who paid $699 or more to get early dev kits?

News Comments > Labor Day Tech Bits
5. Re: Labor Day Tech Bits Sep 4, 2012, 01:04 Tom

Did you guys even read the story?

FIH's parent Foxconn Technology Group helps assemble Apple's products including iPhones and iPads, but FIH itself does not. Its loss was mainly due to falling orders from major clients including Nokia, Motorola and HTC.

This story was about FIH which apparently does not assemble Apple products.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 20, 2012, 16:04 Tom

It's not just authorized employees of MS/Google/Apple/Dropbox/etc who can browse through your data hosted on such a service, but also disgruntled employees, hackers, the government, and who knows who else.

Plan accordingly.

News Comments > Farming Simulator 2013
16. Re: Farming Simulator 2013 Aug 15, 2012, 20:39 Tom

Interesting, but how about a region-free MMO version with a rice farming simulation and virtual economy with commodity-capable RMAH. Mwahahaha!

Btw could all these simulator games be any more of a rip-off of Flight Simulator with their logos? I guess it's not a Simulator without that telltale font style...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2012, 22:46 Tom

1. Oh yes, because 303 fps vs. 270 fps is ever so useful for actual gaming! I suppose these guys only care about performance at 800x600 with no anti-aliasing when shopping for graphics cards too.

2. This result is probably after they spent who knows how long optimizing both the engine and the driver to work together for a specific workload.

To claim that this result says anything about the merits of OpenGL vs. DirectX is truly pathetic. Valve is losing credibility with those who actually know anything with these sad attacks.

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
4. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 21:52 Tom

Why haven't companies just outlawed class action suits by now anyway? Clearly they don't like them very much.  

News Comments > 007 Legends Voice Talent
2. Re: 007 Legends Voice Talent Jul 27, 2012, 17:30 Tom

These people are still among the living? Holy smokes!  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
35. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 18:44 Tom

PropheT wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 18:36:
...You totally misunderstood what he said, or didn't think about it at all.

If people have a reason to go use Linux, like games, people (and companies) will be driven to develop for Linux and those problems will disappear with the attention needed to standardize the platform and stabilize the environment as an alternative to Windows.

I don't even know how you would interpret what he said as just being "if you could play games on it Linux would be the BESTEST"...

Oh, so without games, people and companies have no reason to develop for Linux? If only games were there, all those other problems would get fixed? Still sounds like I understood correctly. I just think it's a ridiculous assertion.

1166 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo