Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1075 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > New Dune Legacy
8. Re: New Dune Legacy Jul 29, 2011, 09:53 Tom

Dune 2 pioneered the RTS genre on the PC. C&C and Warcraft followed in its footsteps.

The RTS predecessor to Dune 2 was Herzog Zwei on the Genesis 3 years earlier. A truly brilliant RTS, but the design was fairly different due to using a controller instead of a mouse.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > OnLive and Bandwidth Caps
19. Re: OnLive and Bandwidth Caps Jul 28, 2011, 09:48 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 23:37:
1. I'm an American and I am not buying into everything going backwards. We move forwards. I refuse to become a 3rd world country.

That's pretty funny. You must love American politics then!

Regarding OnLive and caps, I pointed out the ridiculous bandwidth usage as a major problem when OnLive first opened up their service to outsiders. Of course caps are a huge problem for this type of service. ISPs like AT&T are going to automatically enforce caps and charge you $10 for every 10GB you go over the cap, or whatever. That's like $3/hour of playing?

They're going to have to cut the quality like Netflix has done for the bandwidth-oppressed. Not very appealing, as the quality is already way below what you'd get playing a game properly on your own hardware. Maybe they can make it 320x200 and serve up only the classics.

News Comments > BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops
28. Re: BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops Jul 24, 2011, 20:18 Tom

No Steam, no sale.

Hahaha! No seriously, I'll buy it from Amazon or Walmart or whatever if I have to, but that just feels... uncivilized at this point.

News Comments > On PC Skyrim
17. Re: On PC Skyrim Jul 7, 2011, 00:41 Tom

reisub wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 00:00:
Why aren't we seeing 64bit binaries by now? Is setting a compiler flag too much effort? I'm sure they could release one on the side with no warranty implied etc. etc.

Still getting mod tools, so musn't grumble too much.

Um yeah.. Setting the compiler flag is one thing, fixing the 1000 issues that result from doing so is another. When you go 64-bit, you have to go 64-bit all the way (barring nasty hacks). That means you have to get all your third party code working as 64-bit too. Then you have to worry about maintaining two builds of everything: 32-bit and 64-bit.

Basically, it's WAY more of a hassle than setting a compiler flag. Developers must be sufficiently motivated in order to spend the time and money on a 64-bit build. And when their lead platform has a pathetic 512MB of memory, it's easy to see why that motivation doesn't exist.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 15:39 Tom

Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 14:45:
The PC version having the SDK alone is a tremendous value, especially when it comes to fixing up inherently flawed or busted Bethesda games.

What? No! Releasing an SDK / mod tools so people can fix your broken game is not something I consider valuable. Release the game in a quality state that doesn't need fixing. That's much more valuable. Let people tweak the game to their liking with the SDK, some people will find value in that, but don't make people fix things up (and other people have to track down those fixes, get them working, or more likely, put up with the broken game). I think that trend sucks.

That's ignoring the higher resolution visuals, framerate and increase draw distances.

Those are better reasons to get the PC version.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play
16. Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play Jun 23, 2011, 23:12 Tom

I put over 600 hours into TF2 and I've hardly touched it since BF:BC2 came out... Thinking I might do a bit of a comeback before BF3 comes out. There is no better gaming value than TF2. It's insane. Complainers should be shot. With many arrows.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned
22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned Jun 21, 2011, 16:05 Tom

Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 16:01:
Once again as a PC gamer, I am made to feel like a second class citizen.

Well, aren't we now?

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
13. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 20, 2011, 10:17 Tom

If you want expandability, buy a PC. If you want to live in a little box with boundaries for the important things that are totally set in stone, buy a console. That's how it is and that's how it's going to be for a long time. The fixed nature of console specs is perhaps the console's greatest weakness and also its greatest advantage.  

News Comments > RAGE Changing Windows
15. Re: RAGE Changing Windows Jun 16, 2011, 14:43 Tom

Look folks, if you don't understand what's going on here, don't freak out or try to speculate on what this means for PC gaming. Either do some learning or just take Carmack's word for it. He knows what he's talking about.

There are some gross, gross misunderstandings evident in the comments on this story.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2011, 14:44 Tom

They could've just launched this as the Wii 2 / Wii HD with no special controller and a lower price and everyone would've been happy...  

News Comments > Consoles Lead Skyrim Development
21. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 8, 2011, 15:05 Tom

Consoles = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PCs = whiny elitists and technical problems and complexity galore

Is it any wonder the ones holding the purse strings choose consoles every time now? Let's face it. Only the most hardcore or indie devs are going to make PC the lead platform now. And Bethesda ain't either of those.

News Comments > Leisure Suit Larry Revival This Summer
8. Re: Leisure Suit Larry Revival This Summer Jun 6, 2011, 18:57 Tom

DangerDog wrote on Jun 6, 2011, 12:39:
Glad to see Al Lowe brought back, I'm still partial to the original version's artwork. I never got into the "big head" Larry.

Agreed.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow
28. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 14:01 Tom

DrEvil wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:37:
Tom wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:28:
Wow, you're really grasping at straws here now. Why do you feel the need to defend this so much?

I could say the same for you.

I feel that when developers make compromises, they should be recognized as such. To deny that they are compromises sends the wrong message (us consumers don't care or understand) and could ultimately lower the standards of excellence that products are held to.

Again, I feel the need to reiterate that compromises are not entirely a bad thing. To be a successful developer, you have to choose your battles, ship products, and make money. And it's in our best interest for talented developers like CD Projekt to be successful.

I don't disagree with the single solution aspect, but it's also clear they don't have a single solution. They have a user interface that it seems likely will share some common elements between platforms, but the PC version obviously will have some major differences.

Oh, so you think the UI in the console version will differ from the PC version? That's interesting. I doubt there will be any significant difference, as I can envision the current UI working easily with little to no change, but only time will tell.

26. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 13:28 Tom

Wow, you're really grasping at straws here now. Why do you feel the need to defend this so much?

I never used the word "consolized". I prefer to put it as I did: "elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment". I really feel that's more fact than opinion in this case.

For every UI, you can design it to work best with keyboard+mouse, or a controller, or make some compromises to have fair support for both. Or you can make separate UI's altogether that are designed specifically for each scenario - that's the best option, but also the most difficult and expensive. A few top notch console ports have taken that route but it's rare. The Witcher 2 has gone the compromise route and it seems most people have recognized that. It's not the end of the world. It's the expected outcome and we can live with it.

The same thing applies to running on a TV that you sit far away from vs. a computer monitor that you sit close to.

You can't solve every UI problem with a single solution that makes the most of every environment's unique characteristics. For most UI problems, a single solution will inevitably involve compromise.

21. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch & DLC Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 11:06 Tom

DrEvil wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 10:54:
The game was developed on the PC for the PC. It. Is. Not. Consolized. *smacks descender*.

Console games are developed on the PC as well. Do you think they're developed on the consoles? Haha. As for whether elements of the game's design have been compromised in order to fit a console environment, the answer is absolutely yes. For example, the inventory system is a pain to navigate because it's designed to work with a controller. Or do you have some alternate explanation for why it sucks?

The game may have been released on the PC first, but make no mistake. It is definitely coming to consoles and was developed with that in mind. As I pointed out in a previous thread, there's even an x360 directory installed along with the game on the PC.

Btw, I'm not saying the game sucks - I think it's great. They walked the line between console and PC pretty well. I just think you'd have to be blind to not notice the console influence.

News Comments > History of Starbreeze
1. Re: History of Starbreeze Jun 3, 2011, 10:19 Tom

The geniuses who brought us Crystal Dreams 1 and 2 and FastTracker 1 and 2... RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KKvyqXtDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3GUfM7qkCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJvKzNQFv1Q

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Launch Trailer
5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Launch Trailer Jun 2, 2011, 12:23 Tom

It's a lot pathetic. It reeks of desperation. Looking forward to reading the reviews after this is out.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
10. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 17:41 Tom

DrEvil wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:59:
Of course the vendor's going to blame it on the application developer. The point is that if an application makes an invalid call to an API, the API should fail, not cause massive performance loss.

I'm not saying there's no witcher 2 bug here at all, just that the performance loss *should not be considered a Witcher 2 bug* specifically.

Sorry, but there's a big difference between "using an incorrect API" (NVIDIA's words) and "making an invalid call to an API" (your words). It's up to applications to use the correct APIs and use those APIs correctly. It sounds like The Witcher 2 is not in this case.

It's up to the API vendor to make the API behave reasonably. Without knowing more about what The Witcher 2 is doing, I'd say there's insufficient evidence to accuse NVIDIA of wrongdoing here.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer
22. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 10:11 Tom

SC2 was worth the purchase price for the mods (third party maps with totally different gameplay) alone, even though they've been slow to get going. I've had a ton of fun playing Desert Strike with friends against random opponents.  

News Comments > Futuremark Teases Three Games
9. Re: Futuremark Teases Three Games May 28, 2011, 01:36 Tom

Space sim???!! Ohh.... Don't get our hopes up.  

1075 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo