Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1135 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2012, 17:59 Tom

Due diligence is a critical part of investing. If people learn this even a little bit from a $100 KS then something good will have come out of it.

Personally I thought they made the scope of OUYA pretty clear to anyone who cared to pay attention.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 28, 2012, 21:39 Tom

Divided we fall. Woohoo!  

News Comments > No BF3 Color Grading Removal
16. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 00:26 Tom

WTF is wrong with people. The game looks great as-is.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 18:47 Tom

I was hopelessly optimistic about the Kindle Paperwhite and pre-ordered it, planning to upgrade from my 3rd generation Kindle w/ the keyboard.

First of all, regarding what seems to be the #1 complaint people have... the uneven lighting at the bottom. Well, this was much less of an issue than I expected after reading the initial complaints. It's minor and only noticeable under some lighting conditions (i.e. in the dark), and easily ignored once you get into your reading. It's better than the external light I'd been using for the past couple of years on my K3.

Regarding the touch screen, perhaps the #2 complaint, this is actually one of the unit's strong points IMO, for me at least. It has a great feel, it's responsive, accurate, and it's pretty easy to turn pages compared to the physical buttons. Yeah, going back to the previous page isn't as easy, but 99% of the time you just want to go to the next page, and that's easy. Then again, I use the official case to hold the thing. Maybe it's harder without it. The touchscreen keyboard is way easier to type on than the tiny little physical buttons from the K3. And it feels great to just tap a word on the screen to open its dictionary entry, instead of having to cursor over to it and push a button. (Sadly text selection doesn't work for Japanese text in text files for some reason... always selects the whole darn paragraph, *sigh*)

Regarding the audio and text-to-speech: I hardly ever used it, even though the voice was pretty good as far as TTS goes. Its loss was not a big deal for me. Publishers crippled the TTS anyway, and nowadays I'd rather just have the computer TTS it ahead of time and play it as an MP3 on the phone or computer. Admittedly the Kindle was a much simpler proposition, but oh well.

Regarding storage space: 2GB is still plenty, even if only 1.something GB is usable. Books are small, and I don't need em all on there.

SO WHAT SUCKS ABOUT THE KINDLE PAPERWHITE?

One thing. The display clarity. Yep. They said they increased the resolution and improved the fonts. Well, it sure looks like the opposite to me, on both fronts. It just doesn't look as clear as the K3 display, which I assume is due to the added layer of nano-whatever light guide, but maybe it's something else. And the fonts... They don't include the same fonts that were on the K3! I found one that was kind of close, but not as good IMO. I was able to adapt but this was disappointing. The display clarity is still a problem after reading for a while.

At first I thought ok, maybe I'm starting to need glasses. Then I went back and read on the K3. Right off the bat it was like night and day. After a couple hours of reading I was certain. The difference is just heartbreaking. So for me, it mainly comes down to a choice between a crystal clear display with annoying external light, or fuzzy display with nice internal light. If I had any sense at all I'd just return the Paperwhite and wait until they get it right, but I don't, so I'm going to hope I'm just crazy and give it a few more "second chances"... maybe lend both Kindles to someone else and see if they notice the same thing.

Anyway, there's my sad story about the Kindle Paperwhite. Hope y'all enjoyed it. Thanks Amazon for hyping the crap out of this thing and then utterly failing to live up to it, or your previous products.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention another really stupid thing about the Paperwhite. By default, it doesn't fully refresh the e-ink display when you turn the page. I remember this was an experimental option with the K3 and the results were "kind of ok but not really". Well, in the Paperwhite it's the default, and it looks even worse. Yeah it changes the page contents pretty quickly, but you see this terrible looking afterimage of the previous contents. It really looks like garbage, like the thing is broken. Fortunately you turn off this idiotic "feature" when reading, but unfortunately you can't turn it off for the web browser - which is used for the Wikipedia integration and other stuff. Whoever at Amazon thought this was a good idea must be blind and/or a freaking moron. It's the kind of decision that throws the whole design sense of the product creators into question.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2012, 18:53.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
10. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 22, 2012, 00:29 Tom

Even aside from rural areas where lower population density is an issue, broadband in the US still sucks. There is a serious lack of competition. Too many places have only one viable broadband option, and that single company with the monopoly has zero incentive to provide competitive service at a competitive price. And thanks to corruption, they tend to be quite successful at defending their monopoly status.

I currently live in a city in which Time Warner Cable is the only option for speeds faster than DSL. Thanks to the complete lack of competition, they still haven't even upgraded their equipment beyond DOCSIS 2.0. DOCSIS 3.0 has been around for over 6 years now. When they announced they were going to start charging modem rental fees and everyone was up in arms, well, it didn't happen here because they apparently don't have the balls to charge a rental fee for obsolete DOCSIS 2.0 modems.

It costs me $60/month for 20/2. Not that I even get anywhere near the 20 most of the time on YouTube thanks to their meddling. Speed tests always show a solid 20Mbps down, so it's not a last mile issue. So even when you can actually pay for a decent speed (not good or great but decent), you don't even get that all the time.

This is why the US is so far behind these other countries and it's not because of population density.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Internet Speed In United States Lags Behind Many Countries, Highlighting Global Digital Divide. Oct 21, 2012, 21:58 Tom

Bhruic wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 21:16:
Population density of South Korea: 503 pop/km^2
Population density of the US: 34 pop/km^2

This is not an acceptable excuse.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter
7. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com Oct 18, 2012, 20:22 Tom

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 20:03:
Wait I thought the game from Roberts was Squadron 42? Am I that out of the loop?

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are the same thing, I think. At least, the trailer video is called "Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Announcement Trailer"

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter
3. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 18, 2012, 19:51 Tom

Ahhh.... there is no escaping the juggernaut that is Kickstarter!

Good for those guys. They earned it.

News Comments > Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal
105. Re: Final Project Eternity Stretch Goal Oct 16, 2012, 23:37 Tom

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 22:59:
I'm not sure why but something deep down just feels off about this Kickstarter.

Yeah I get that feeling too. I think it's their presentation. They just seem to be going all out for max $$$ with no humility. Kind of the opposite of FTL perhaps. Of course, very different situations.

News Comments > Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow
8. Re: Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow Oct 15, 2012, 23:00 Tom

This game was fun for a time, but it inevitably leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Lots of stuff contributes to that but the AH is probably the biggest problem IMO. Really just sucks the fun right out of it.

I envy those who decided to pass. My time would've been better spent on any number of other games...

News Comments > Roberts Space Industries Website Back
13. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 22:37 Tom

Aero wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 20:41:
There is a reason there aren't a lot of space sims around these days, and it's not just because Mr. Roberts was off making movies. How's Jumpgate Evolution coming along? Oh, right.

Jumpgate was crap. So what?

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
58. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 10, 2012, 18:35 Tom

Yeah, the one thing he had to do to make this right ... DON'T MAKE AN MMO ... *sigh*

Also, he was eager to talk up the PC and yet every shot of him actually doing something with the game was with what looked like an XBox controller. What's up with that? Screw that. If it's really a simulation, give us TrackIR and a clickable cockpit, please. I guess that's asking for a lot though.

Still CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Specs
4. Re: Assassin's Creed III Specs Sep 26, 2012, 23:39 Tom

Games can be written to use DX11 as the API for 3D rendering, but still support DX9-class hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D#Direct3D_11

It is the natural choice when XP compatibility is no longer a concern.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: App store a disaster for developers Sep 25, 2012, 17:33 Tom

Creston wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:07:
Which is fine. But then stop bitching about it. And from the way the new appstore works, I somehow doubt that's where the most sales are. The way Apple shits all over indie developers, in contrast to a place like Steam, it's beyond comprehension why ANYONE would make apps for those assholes.

I'm sure they're crying all the way to the bank.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Videos
23. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 00:41 Tom

nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 21:18:
Considering it's steamworks this time, the networking should be a lot smother.

As far as the other issues, look here.

Does Steamworks really provide that level of fundamental networking support for games? If so did they use it? I wonder.

As for the other issues, thanks for the links. I hadn't seen that. Good of them to recognize where they screwed up and make an effort to fix it next time around. Maybe there is hope for these guys after all. Still going to be cautious though.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Videos
16. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 16, 2012, 20:54 Tom

What killed Borderlands for me was the buggy netcode. Friends kept getting randomly disconnected, and after reconnecting the quest tracking would be screwed up. Very frustrating, and not fixed in the first big patch (which was a long time coming I believe). I uninstalled it after that and am very wary of Borderlands 2.

I concur with the PC port issues btw. Out of the box, Borderlands had a bunch issues like messed up mouse movement, couldn't use the scroll wheel on the mouse when it was REALLY needed, there was some problem with vsync or something, keybinding problems, and other stuff as I recall. Just really shoddy work.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light
28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 11:44 Tom

Been playing all morning and I gotta say ... this game is amazing. It's a miracle of gaming. I can't believe it. I was so sad when I stupidly blew up the enemy ship while my two veteran Mantis fighters were on it! Too trigger happy... *cries* But I may yet prevail.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light
16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 00:51 Tom

Just did my first real game, made it to sector 8 on easy without TOO much trouble, then a rebel ship wiped the floor with me.

This game is every bit as good as I hoped it would be after reading the positive comments about it here. Wow! I am thirsty for more.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
39. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 23:37 Tom

WyldKat wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 21:27:
Tried it. It's as bad as the X series in that it suffers from a fairly bland, and sterile feeling game world.

Privateer felt epic mostly because of the world you played in. The newer games have better graphics, physics, and more features but they just lack in presenting a believable world to be a part of.

"We Create Worlds"

Unfortunately, even those who created worlds couldn't seem to repeat that success after Origin's demise. Would that the conditions that led to greatness be somehow recreated in this modern era.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
35. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 19:53 Tom

For me, Freelancer was disappointing not because it wasn't a great game, but because it was a fair game. It had some elements of a good game - good graphics, good controls, good combat, some interesting exploration. But unlike Wing Commander (1 and 2 at least), it had an utterly forgettable story and cast of characters. That was the real let down for me.

I just went and read the summary of the story on Wikipedia and NOTHING about it seemed even vaguely familiar - yet I played through the whole game on release. That is not a good sign, and a far cry from Wing Commander (1 and 2 - things went downhill after 2 IMO but I'm sure others would disagree.)

1135 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo