Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1112 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 20, 2012, 16:04 Tom

It's not just authorized employees of MS/Google/Apple/Dropbox/etc who can browse through your data hosted on such a service, but also disgruntled employees, hackers, the government, and who knows who else.

Plan accordingly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Farming Simulator 2013
16. Re: Farming Simulator 2013 Aug 15, 2012, 20:39 Tom

Interesting, but how about a region-free MMO version with a rice farming simulation and virtual economy with commodity-capable RMAH. Mwahahaha!

Btw could all these simulator games be any more of a rip-off of Flight Simulator with their logos? I guess it's not a Simulator without that telltale font style...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2012, 22:46 Tom

1. Oh yes, because 303 fps vs. 270 fps is ever so useful for actual gaming! I suppose these guys only care about performance at 800x600 with no anti-aliasing when shopping for graphics cards too.

2. This result is probably after they spent who knows how long optimizing both the engine and the driver to work together for a specific workload.

To claim that this result says anything about the merits of OpenGL vs. DirectX is truly pathetic. Valve is losing credibility with those who actually know anything with these sad attacks.

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
4. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 21:52 Tom

Why haven't companies just outlawed class action suits by now anyway? Clearly they don't like them very much.  

News Comments > 007 Legends Voice Talent
2. Re: 007 Legends Voice Talent Jul 27, 2012, 17:30 Tom

These people are still among the living? Holy smokes!  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
35. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 18:44 Tom

PropheT wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 18:36:
...You totally misunderstood what he said, or didn't think about it at all.

If people have a reason to go use Linux, like games, people (and companies) will be driven to develop for Linux and those problems will disappear with the attention needed to standardize the platform and stabilize the environment as an alternative to Windows.

I don't even know how you would interpret what he said as just being "if you could play games on it Linux would be the BESTEST"...

Oh, so without games, people and companies have no reason to develop for Linux? If only games were there, all those other problems would get fixed? Still sounds like I understood correctly. I just think it's a ridiculous assertion.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
25. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:57 Tom

"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games"

LOL! Yeah right. Ok, let's just pay no attention to the huge fundamental usability issues. Or the lack of non-game application support. Or the update/upgrade processes. Or dependency nightmares, having to compile stuff yourself, the ever so friendly support community, the battle of the righteous vs. closed-source, etc etc etc!

No, games are the big problem. If not for that, everyone would surely use Linux. Hahaha!

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 17:55 Tom

So, you really believed all this time that this massive scale closed-source peer-to-peer VoIP software was somehow 100% secure and private?

Let me guess, you also think email is secure and private.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2012, 16:10 Tom

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:41:
You're really blowing this out of proportion. This isn't some big evil company forcing you to be spied on against your will, this is a big stupid company that thinks "cloud" is a buzzword people want and thinks it's a selling point. Remember when everything was suddenly "smart," even though it made no sense? Now everything is "cloud."

Yup, this is it exactly. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Unfortunately, there are other companies that are spying for profit and getting away with it, like ISPs, and it's not so simple to vote with your wallet there when they're the only game in town. Hopefully this incident and others like it will help raise awareness of such things and ultimately lead to harsh penalties for those who abuse their power and betray the trust of the people - government included.

Ah, who am I kidding? It's all downhill from here, right?

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2012, 23:46 Tom

Sounds like people had way overinflated expectations for this game. I got pretty much what I expected and certainly my money's worth out of it. Yeah, it's dumbed down. Yeah, the lag-susceptible online-only can be a pain. But I still had fun.

Face it folks. Big budget games are not going to build on the complexity and greatness of their predecessors. At least, as a general rule. Dumbed down, but polished with high production values is the new status quo for the higher quality big budget games. $$$ > soul

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 19:20 Tom

You could save some keystrokes by typing "start ." instead.

Also useful: "cd | clip" and then paste into whatever bit of GUI that requires a path.

News Comments > Sony to Acquire Gaikai
25. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 2, 2012, 17:28 Tom

ledhead1969 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:03:
Instead of Sony/MS going after this tech I would really like them to put out a console where I can D/L all the games instead of having to buy hard copies, plus make whatever machine I am doing that on upgradeable...so...I want them to make the 720/ps4 basically a pc.

The PlayStation store now offers downloads for full PS3 games that used to only be distributed on Blu-ray discs. Obviously the selection is limited - they probably have to get permission from various stakeholders on a per-game basis. But at least part of what you're asking for is possible today.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2012, 21:21 Tom

We already got an updated version of Rebel Assault as the space battles in The Old Republic. It was almost half decent even, but they wasted its potential. Like everything else in that sad game.

I would love an updated Tie Fighter ... or any other good space sim for that matter ... but it seems unlikely that it will ever happen. Those days are over. Gone forever.

News Comments > DCS: P-51D Mustang Trailer
6. Re: DCS: P-51D Mustang Trailer Jun 24, 2012, 16:51 Tom

Still enjoying the heck out of DCS: A-10C. So much to learn. So many things to try. Very satisfying to get things right after struggling to get up to speed.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 24, 2012, 01:46 Tom

Hate it with every ounce of my being. I've been using Firefox since it was called Phoenix.

*sigh*

I don't have anything against open source software in general. I use a lot of it. Firefox, 7-Zip, Blender, TortoiseSVN, and so on. Sometimes the best solution for a particular type of software is an open source project. Sometimes not. Office suites just seem to be one of those areas where open source consistently falls flat, at least to anyone with a discerning eye for quality and non-trivial needs.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2012, 02:00.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 23, 2012, 22:26 Tom

You know what they say about open source ... it's free, if your time is worth nothing. Just as true with office suites as it is with operating systems. You can make YOUR excuses but, in the real world, it's may the best software win. And right now that's still Office.  

News Comments > Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise
27. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 18:32 Tom

Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 18:07:
Regardless, I don't think anyone is happy with Obama at this point.

Huh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_approval_rating

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 16, 2012, 13:20 Tom

mag wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 10:31:
The g stands for 'graphics.' Do you pronounce it 'jraphics?'

That is not how acronym pronunciation works.

News Comments > "38 Studios Spouse" Speaks
41. Re: Jun 13, 2012, 20:15 Tom

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 19:44:
This happens all the time. A company is not breaking the law by simply not being able to stay afloat. Of course the company intended to pay their people; they intended to stay in business too. It just didn't happen that way. You may not take failing as an excuse, but as the old saying goes you can't take blood from a stone. They have no money. No money means no pay.

Yeah, I didn't say they were breaking the law. I don't know enough about the law or this particular situation to know if any law was broken here. However, I feel people should be held accountable to their word. If someone says they're going to pay you, they should pay you. If they don't, there should be consequences. To just say "oh, well that's business" is not quite adequate for my tastes.

Even if they have no money and can't pay, that doesn't mean what they did was ok. They tried to run a business and failed - that's fine, it happens all the time, it's an expected outcome. But they could've run their business into the ground WITHOUT making promises they couldn't keep when it comes to taking care of their employees. For example, by being up front and honest with them.

Accountability. Where is it?

News Comments > "38 Studios Spouse" Speaks
38. Re: Jun 13, 2012, 19:06 Tom

NKD wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 18:34:
Employees who are not being paid, in most states, are free to quit for good cause and can still collect unemployment while seeking another job. Companies go belly up. If it was illegal for your company to fail, that would just be silly.

Well, failing is one thing. Telling your employees you're going to pay them and then not doing so is another. "The company failed" is not an excuse for not honoring that most important commitment.

1112 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo