Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1169 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > TF2 Oculus Rift Details
20. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 18:07 Tom

Based on extensive experience with TrackIR as both a user and a developer, and some similar but more limited experience with the Razer Hydra, I'm very doubtful that a good solution is going to emerge in this case. Sure, there's more incentive now, with the Oculus Rift being way cooler tech than either of those, but it's still just a fundamental problem with possibly no good solution.

I see the Oculus Rift as sharing the same constraints as TrackIR: works great in a fixed cockpit, not so much in a free roaming environment. It's a very old VR problem too. I've never heard of a solution that is even remotely competitive with mouse+keyboard for movement/view control.

For free-roaming FPS type scenarios, maybe people will end up disabling the motion tracking of the Oculus Rift and just using it as a spiffy 3D monitor, using the mouse+keyboard as usual..? I suspect that could be a tough pill to swallow after experiencing the immersion that the motion tracking adds.

Note that Valve also enhanced Portal 2 and TF2 to work with the Razer Hydra. The solution in this case (and all other FPS scenarios) is to learn a special skill they (Hydra/Sixense community) call ratcheting. It's the motion controller equivalent of lifting your mouse up, moving it over, and dropping it back down when you run out of space. Well, something that is very quick and natural with the mouse doesn't translate well to different devices, at least not the Hydra. It's a PITA and sucks all of the coolness right out of the experience. Maybe it's not so bad once you get used to it, and maybe I would think the same thing about the mouse if I was just starting to use it now, but I kinda doubt it.

Anyway. Things are going to get real interesting once the consumer version of the Oculus Rift is actually released. If it works well with DCS and a non-sucking Star Citizen, I might just be in heaven.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Victory Kickstarter Cancelled
8. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 17:47 Tom

Cutter wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 15:42:
Not at all. I'd say people that are more likely to crowdsource are a more distinct group that fall into a community. Casual gamers won't, nor will mainstream console players. Even for non-gaming related funding I'd say most of it comes from people who walk to the beat of a different drum. That's why I get so pissed when I see rich people trying to use KS when that's not what it was intended for.

I don't buy that. Who is participating in KS/crowdsourcing and why? It's people who hear about something and think "that sounds awesome, I want it" and are willing to contribute a little bit up front to help make sure it happens. It's not investors or bored rich people who think "I have x dollars burning a hole in my pocket, what should I spend it on today?" It's not some special group of elite crowdsourcing devotees. Yeah, the people who contribute may be a little more hopeful, a little bigger fans, a little more passionate, maybe. But they're just regular people. Not some special community IMO.

If there was a real "Kickstarter community" it would be those fans of KS itself who browse around the site looking for projects and posting on their forums, promoting KS itself, etc. But that's got to be such a small % of KS contributors, and I doubt it's who Petroglyph was talking about - unless they made zero effort to promote their project outside of creating a KS for it, which would be really dumb.

News Comments > Victory Kickstarter Cancelled
4. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 14:41 Tom

We’ve learned that Victory is definitely not the type of game that the Kickstarter community craves.

By "the Kickstarter community" they mean "people" right? Seems like a very poor choice of words to me.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 09:41 Tom

It seems like there's a lot of confusion about what to do with these different form factors. It doesn't help that the lines between form factors are constantly being blurred in various ways.

It's good to hear some positive things about the Surface Pro here and there. It got a lot of so-so reviews which, combined with the price, are probably hurting it. Personally I'm looking forward to the next-gen lower power CPUs from Intel that should make a device in this form factor much more appealing. Less heat generation, less bulk, more battery life... mmn.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 13, 2013, 22:36 Tom

That's pretty good, almost as good as this one.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
38. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 19:02 Tom

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 17:07:
WTH? Why was my comment removed? It's a valid point that most people in society agree with today, plenty of academics too. Guys like Dawkins have called Islam barbaric and it is. There's plenty of proof on that count.

Read the ground rules for this forum and reflect upon the myriad ways in which your comment was not in the spirit of the framework for civility that Blue has tried to encourage here.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 10, 2013, 16:17 Tom

Tigger wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 01:28:
So at around $650, I don't think its worth the cost of admission unless you are doing something like flight sims (which I am doing on this rig) where three screens are actually awesome, needed AND cool! :)

Awesome and cool, yes. But needed? Nah. Flight sims work great on one large screen with TrackIR.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 9, 2013, 10:27 Tom

It's easy to make something secure when it hardly does anything, is hardly used by anybody, and people generally don't care about it.  

News Comments > SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused
27. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 19:24 Tom

All this publicity is probably helping their sales more than it's hurting them. This game wasn't even on my radar until there were suddenly 10 stories a day about it. Now I might even buy it after things settle down. Maybe on sale someday. If people are happy with it in the long run.  

News Comments > Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity
23. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:07 Tom

Remember the first Rule of Acquisition:

Once you have their money, you never give it back.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 21:33 Tom

Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 20:39:
If the massive failure of JC Penny proves anything, it's that most people are motivated not by everyday low prices but by getting a bargain, especially a time-sensitive bargain that's act-now or lose.

Hmm this must be why there's never anyone at Walmart eh.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 23, 2013, 21:52 Tom

Meet the new boss ...  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 14:20 Tom

Head-mounted GoPro? Uh huh. Last I checked, they didn't make a GoPro in the glasses form factor.  

News Comments > EA Layoffs
10. Re: EA Layoffs Feb 21, 2013, 22:14 Tom

D_K_night wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 20:38:
These days it just seems as becoming a game developer is not the way to go. You're much safer doing a business analyst or PM job.

"These days"? This is hardly anything new. You wanna be in game dev? You're gonna pay the price. Because if you don't want to, there are a thousand other people who would jump at the opportunity.

There's plenty of software development work outside of game dev that isn't business analyst or PM. 8 hours a day, no weekends, no crunch, good pay, respect.

News Comments > Air Conflicts: Vietnam Announced
9. Re: Air Conflicts: Vietnam Announced Feb 20, 2013, 23:07 Tom

If anyone is interested in an outstanding book about the air war in Vietnam, check out A Lonely Kind of War by Marshall Harrison. It describes his experiences as a forward air controller (FAC), coordinating bombing runs and doing close air support. Really well written.

http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Kind-War-Controller-ebook/dp/B004H8GCQM

News Comments > CISPA Re-Proposed
11. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 23:29 Tom

Can you send a message to your Representatives asking them to oppose this bill?

If only they actually represented us instead of corporations and themselves - then we would at least have a fighting chance at having a working government. How does this get fixed? This is the problem that the Internet community should be rallying around. Where is the credible organization advancing this cause?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 14, 2013, 19:56 Tom

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 18:56:
Blame the person not the gun, not the video game, not fucking culture of all things. We don't have a gun problem we have a stupidity problem.

There are stupid and crazy people all over the world. Bad things happen when you give these people relatively easy access to guns. They cause more serious problems than their counterparts who don't have that access. Not everyone can be bothered to get their hands on stuff like sarin gas. But guns? They're all over the place in the US. Easy!

So... Stupid? Crazy? Want to go on a rampage and then blow your head off? Pretty easy in the US. Not so easy in many other countries. The conclusion seems pretty obvious to me.

News Comments > Path of Exile Patched
28. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 17:42 Tom

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:26:
I've tried playing this game, but it has a nasty habit of just randomly causing my PC to reboot. No other games do this.

If you have a Sound Blaster X-Fi, this is solved by running the game with the --softwareaudio command line argument. (Note the two -'s.) The game is triggering a bug in Creative's drivers. Unfortunately the devs don't seem terribly interested in coming up with a better fix, but at least this workaround works 100% and doesn't compromise the audio quality.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2013, 23:12 Tom

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 22:32:
Part of the reason for that is of course that there are no f2p games that offer any immersive fun gameplay experience.

Meanwhile, League of Legends has like zillions of players, then there's Tribes: Ascend, Airmech, Path of Exile, Mechwarrior Online, Planetfall 2, etc. F2P is not just crap like Farmville, browser games, and failed MMOs. It includes some hardcore games, some of which are actually pretty good.

It's a brave new world. Between F2P and KS, publishers are being kicked to the curb pretty good now. LOVIN IT!

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Issue
6. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 17:48 Tom

Was thinking about picking up Dark Souls on sale but GFWL was the dealbreaker. Glad I didn't bother.  

1169 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo