Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1284 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2013, 17:44 Tom

I used PSP7 for ages before finally switching to Paint.NET. Corel can go to hell.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter
5. Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter Sep 5, 2013, 23:26 Tom

DCS runs fine on my 4 year old PC (i7-860, GTX 570) on medium to high settings at 2560x1440. Yeah, there are occasional slowdowns when on a server with a lot of players nearby, but I'd hardly say it sucks balls.

Let me guess, you're one of those who must run every game on absolute highest settings and if it doesn't work smoothly it's crap.

News Comments > DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter
2. Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter Sep 5, 2013, 22:50 Tom

If you look at how they structured the rewards and stretch goals, it makes sense. Better to get something than nothing, and the hardcore flight sim community is relatively small. Hopefully they go well beyond the $100k but if not, at least it's something.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 5, 2013, 20:01 Tom

If our politicians weren't spending more than half their time raising money, and the remaining time split between serving those who bought them and general douchebaggery, the country might be in better shape. It's time to get the money out of politics. Lobbying should be a capital offense. (Pun intended.)  

News Comments > DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta
6. Re: DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta Sep 4, 2013, 23:02 Tom

The key for me has been multiplayer. Originally just with a friend doing some user-generated missions we snagged from the forums, more recently doing multiplayer on random servers with 5-15 people on them. It's been very satisfying to finally shoot down some people in heated P-51D dogfights, sneak into enemy territory and do a pop-up attack on some armor with the A-10C and try to make it out alive while being hunted by an enemy player in a Russian fighter, work together to take out air defense units that can intercept Maverick missiles, etc. You never know what you'll find on the servers out there, and there seems to be a growing number of people playing at any given moment.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 3, 2013, 18:18 Tom

That was pretty hilarious. There are some good ones buried in the list too. My vote would be Léo Apotheker. Hahaha!  

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access
10. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 2, 2013, 20:07 Tom

Wildone wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 19:00:
Its awesome DCS stuff is the best ever made, but fucks sakes..they need to make more environments than the Crimea, and Im talking more than that 'Vegas map' thats been in development for 4 years...some variety is due I think.

Agreed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zrgxm2nfVQ

6. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 2, 2013, 17:50 Tom

You got me Cutter, everyone should go play Battlefield Vietnam instead of this. Especially you.  

3. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 2, 2013, 17:28 Tom

Whatever, Cutter. This is a fantastic simulation of the Huey and if you want a combat environment, that's what the C in DCS stands for. You can fly it into battle guns blazing (it can be armed with 2 mini-guns that can be aimed via a flexible sight, rockets, and door gunners), you can transport troops into or out of a hot LZ, or you can just cruise around and enjoy the scenery. It's up to you.

Yeah, it ain't Nam. Tough. That doesn't mean it can't be exciting.

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
54. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 09:49 Tom

Haha. This controversy might scare off a few radical nutjobs but the vast majority of people are going to just chill and see how the game actually turns out. Y'know, like after it's ACTUALLY RELEASED.

Some people are just looking for any excuse to bash anything and everything in sight. Let em truly earn it, I say.

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
39. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 01:19 Tom

In this modern era, I think the appropriate question is not "is it P2W?" or "is there P2W?" - it's "how much damage to the player's experience is done by the way(s) they accept real money?"

Obviously different players are going to be impacted differently. It is possible to have a good balance between business model and overall player satisfaction while still having microtransactions. LoL is a good example of a game that gets it right.

In my opinion, it's far too early to assume that Star Citizen is going to screw this up.

News Comments > More BF4 Commander Mode Details
9. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 10:12 Tom

Didn't know they were bringing back commander mode. If you can air drop supply crates on the heads of snipers like the good ol' days, I'm there baby, yeah!  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
61. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 23:43 Tom

nin wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:50:
Hey, if just the hanger can produce 59 posts in one day, just think what happens when the actual content shows up. To me, it shows people are interested. :)

Darn right. And just wait until the Oculus Rift is ready..... might just be a match made in heaven.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 30, 2013, 22:44 Tom

Umm... You haven't really looked at how much taxpayer money gets spent on what, have you?

Unfortunately, $10B is absolutely peanuts. We spend more than that in a single year on giving away weapons to foreign countries. Like Syria, for example.

We've spent 146 times that on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars since 2001.

http://nationalpriorities.org/cost-of/

59. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 22:30 Tom

Hey now. Is there really a sound basis for such pessimism? The Hangar module is hardly representative of all they've accomplished so far. They've already shown videos of ships flying in space firing pretty lazers. Thrusters rotating and firing in sophisticated ways according to a simulation. And keep in mind, before there can be visible progress, there's a great deal of work to be done in building infrastructure. On many levels. This is the nature of production. Sure, it could take forever, but I think it's way too early to give up hope of them coming anywhere near hitting the timeframes they've been aiming for.

If there's one thing to fear though, it's the lack of a publisher to crack the whip and force things to happen in a certain amount of time. As a creator, the lack of constraints seems like the best gift you could ever have. But in truth it will destroy you. Can the backer community serve as an acceptable substitute for a publisher to drive progress in a reasonable amount of time? That's a really big question in this great experiment.

52. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 19:40 Tom

Blahman wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 19:09:
Haha I love those screenshots in Crysis. How long before someone cooks up a flyable version?

In Kerbal Space Program, please!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 28, 2013, 20:13 Tom

Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:06:
Yahoo uses more space on mine:
http://i.imgur.com/k7z9C4v.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CmxpBrh.jpg

I guess they either reverted to the old layout or made some big changes already, because the site right now doesn't look much like that screenshot to me...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 27, 2013, 23:15 Tom

Yeah, I was counting on the additional registers as being the main reason for additional performance when going 64-bit, and 31% still seems like a stretch if x86->x64 is any indication. Maybe things are different on ARM? I mean, you can always come up with some tasks where the additional registers and instructions will make a huge difference. But are they the common things that people are waiting around on the CPU for? I doubt it. "animations, transparencies, and other iOS 7 graphical effects" - those things should be GPU bound anyway, right? Seems to me what matters here is stuff like app startup, compression, crypto, browser page processing/rendering/JS execution, etc.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 27, 2013, 18:43 Tom

64-bit may offer some small gains in performance (31% sounds like a stretch), but the primary reason to go 64-bit - on phones and on desktops - is to be free of address space restrictions. Some phones already have 2GB of RAM today. If they want to go much higher than that, it's going to be a lot easier if the CPU and OS are 64-bit. Might as well start the transition sooner rather than later so that things are in place and ready.

Yeah, the OS and apps are going to be bigger too, but that's never stopped Apple before. (Universal binaries, high resolution support...)

Plus it's a spec they can sell people on who don't know any better. "64 must be twice as good as 32!"

Some code actually runs slower when compiled as 64-bit since the 2x size of an address (pointer) can cause more data to need to be transferred around, things to not fit in CPU caches as nicely, and other fun stuff.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 22:23 Tom

All of the criticisms stated so far here are valid. I would just like to add the massive brain drain that has happened over the last decade, with many (most?) of the most talented people at MS leaving for Google and others. Really heartbreaking in some cases.  

1284 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo