Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1198 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 12, 2013, 19:44 Tom

swedishfriend wrote on May 12, 2013, 14:34:
I still feel a disconnect between my hand and the mouse cursor on the screen using windows 7. On my Amiga it feels more instant, less disconnected. My core duo macbook (first intel generation) has about half the latency when doing audio recording compared to current hardware running windows 7.

I think you have a problem somewhere. It is not normal to have any perceptible latency whatsoever between moving the mouse and seeing the mouse cursor move on Windows, or any other OS for that matter.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Incredible Machine-inspired Contraption Maker Announced
3. Re: Incredible Machine-inspired Contraption Maker Announced May 11, 2013, 19:46 Tom

Wow that is cool. I can't believe they got the entire dev team back together after all these years. And it's not even a KS! (yet?)

When I first started playing Kerbal Space Program, it really brought back memories of The Incredible Machine. In fact I tried to use The Incredible Machine to help explain to people what Kerbal Space Program was like, but I had to give that up because nobody had ever heard of it.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support
20. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 12:39 Tom

Quboid wrote on May 11, 2013, 11:48:
Does it not simulate head movement while the mouse controls body (including weapon) movement? This is how I'd assumed it works. It does require the game support independent head movement but that's not a big deal and it should be reasonably natural.

TF2, at least, has a number of different modes implemented. They're demonstrated in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50fvL_EWYY

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support
18. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 11:15 Tom

Sleep wrote on May 11, 2013, 05:11:
This is my main concern too. But i think a big problem is you can currently look left and right by moving your head OR moving your mouse. That makes me motion sick even with just trackir. As we get better systems of control like the Hydra and isolate view to just the head movement, im hoping this wont be a massive problem!

Unfortunately the Hydra doesn't solve this problem at all. Actually, it's far inferior to the mouse when it comes to directing view in an FPS. I have one and have developed for it. It's awesome if you want to play air drums or manipulate objects in front of you as if your arm/hand was really in the game world. Other than that, not so useful.

I believe that motion tracking applied to the view will only end up working well for vehicle sims, not FPS's. Some people will adapt to view control schemes for FPS's to various degrees: enough to move slowly through Skyrim, enough to play HL2 solo, and finally maybe even enough to be competitive in TF2. But it will always be awkward for most. This is my prediction anyway as a developer of software with native support for TrackIR and Hydra. Hopefully I will somehow be proven wrong.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 9, 2013, 18:57 Tom

Redmask wrote on May 9, 2013, 17:42:
They want to have a different Ouya every year so this is out the window for anything except a base line.

Out the window? Hardly. The baseline is worth something, and one Ouya per year is still way easier to target than 20 new tablets and phones per year. Having to support so many devices and handle their individual quirks and bugs is a huge problem. Look at app reviews on Google Play. How many people complain that so-and-so major app is broken on their device? How many more people never even get to try the app because it is just "unavailable" for reasons undisclosed to them? It's not a good situation and Ouya has a real opportunity to use its focus to succeed where the wider Android ecosystem has failed.

Bluestacks looks way more promising than the Ouya if you want an Android powered STB. They have a better business model with developers and are doing a lot more to attract them to the platform. It will be mostly mobile fare but they are being very up front about it instead of name dropping Minecraft Ouya, which is nowhere to be seen as many predicted.

Bluestacks has the same opportunity as Ouya and it will be interesting to see how things pan out. Having a developer-friendly business model is good, but they'll also need a consumer-friendly business model. Will people pay a monthly subscription for phone/tablet games that have been hastily ported to the TV? I wonder about that.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 9, 2013, 17:11 Tom

This article failed to specify that it was talking about the Android version, for which it is indeed a new feature.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation May 9, 2013, 16:56 Tom

SirKnight wrote on May 9, 2013, 11:11:
I just don't see the point in Ouya. Android phones and tablets support game pads, HDMI (at least tablets, not sure about phones) so if you want to play them on your TV it's quite easy. Also, the games you already bought on Android Play can not be used on the Ouya, you have to re-buy them IF they are even available on there.

Except hardly any of those devices or games are designed to be used with TVs. Some phones and tablets do support it, but many popular ones like the Nexus 7 don't. Things are a little better when it comes to controllers but not much. The whole point of the Ouya is to guarantee a specific hardware spec designed around a TV and a controller. In other words, a game console. Phones and tablets are not game consoles, even if some of them can approximate one. Have fun gaming on your phone or tablet's battery because you can't charge it because it has only one port and you need to use that port to output to the TV.

Also extremely important: It's a well known and undisputed fact that developers can accomplish more in less time when targeting a specific hardware spec, as opposed to the extreme variability of PCs and mobile devices.

Plus, it has been shown that the Ouya is a lot slower than most phones and tablets that's out there now and have been around for quite a while.

Higher spec hardware does not necessarily make for better games. History has shown that over and over again. And, the Ouya may be slower than a lot of other devices out there, but it's also way smaller than every other game console and uses way less power. Maybe these characteristics aren't important to you, but others may have a use for a device with this profile.

The Ouya is one big pointless failure.

Time will tell. How can it already be a failure when most people haven't even had an opportunity to get their hands on one yet? You're quite quick to pass judgement, aren't you? Perhaps you also believe that PCs are dead.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
22. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 20:06 Tom

Beamer wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:55:
Yeah. There are typically 2 users of Adobe products:
1) Corporate/business users, who make a lot of money off of Adobe and pay for Adobe
2) Home/hobby users, who do not pay for Adobe

Adobe doesn't care about #2, for good reason.

Ummm....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoshop_Elements
"Targeted at hobbyists and consumers, it is sold at a fraction (roughly 1/6) of the cost of its professional sibling, Adobe Photoshop CS."

I've always despised Photoshop anyway. I can do 95% of what I need to do with Paint.NET without having to endure Adobe's non-standard and irritating UI choices, not to mention the bloat and business practices. The other 5% is covered by IrfanView, Inkscape, and ImageMagick which are progressively less friendly but are capable enough. All free software.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 6, 2013, 19:20 Tom

Creston wrote on May 6, 2013, 10:31:
I do like this quote from the article, though: “Why should we have to replace our computers at the convenience of the software manufacturer?”

Why indeed?

The question is based on a flawed premise. They don't have to replace their computers. They have all kinds of options. That question is a weak attempt to shift blame onto Microsoft and only serves to highlight their own failure. If they had planned their IT strategy responsibly, they would not be in the current mess. But this is the kind of snafu that is the bread and butter of bureaucracies. We are supposed to feel sorry for them? Suffering at the hands of the cruel juggernaut that is Microsoft? No, I don't think so, they won't get any sympathy from me anyway.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 2, 2013, 17:47 Tom

It sure is a lot easier to justify the extra $300 (I say 'extra' because you KNOW you're gonna want "v2.0") in spite of the limitations of the dev kit if you're going to actually do development.

I'm in the same boat though. If the software was ready (DCS, Star Citizen, iRacing) I would do it in a heartbeat. Otherwise I think I can probably wait until the consumer version. The higher res, lower weight, head translation tracking (I hope they get that in there anyway), and who knows what else they might get in there...

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders
4. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders Apr 30, 2013, 22:47 Tom

The Oculus Rift and DCS oughta be a match made in heaven, but I imagine there are at least two ways the Rift needs to improve first. 1) Needs the higher resolution planned for the consumer version. 2) Needs proper head translation tracking so you can lean in to look more closely at certain controls or displays in the cockpit or to look outward properly for that gun run.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 18:03 Tom

Ugh. That iPhone game ripped off not only the Super Mario World jump sound, but the gargoyle theme from Ultima VI.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
12. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 14:30 Tom

YouTube is absolutely filled with videos that have never been watched or have been watched by just a tiny handful of people. Don't allow your understanding of the bigger picture to be skewed by the staggeringly small percentage of videos that have 'gone viral' or otherwise attracted enough attention to find an audience.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 13:31 Tom

This problem with Glass is only a temporary one. Eventually the electronic/recording elements of glasses will be imperceptible. Beyond that, the recorded data will be sourced from human vision/hearing a la Strange Days, although the playback mechanism will be something safer like the Oculus Rift. So enjoy your small semblance of local privacy while it remains. Not that anyone really wants to record you anyway though, and even if they do, nobody will be interested in watching it.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Apr 25, 2013, 20:41 Tom

Wow. That guy did not disappoint.  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 17:37 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 17:02:
Yeah, that was a pretty big score for them, and surprising that Sony and MS weren't scared off by AMD's current troubles.

I'm pretty sure Sony and MS made sure they're covered if AMD goes poof. In fact, they might even benefit depending on the way they negotiated things.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 23, 2013, 17:33 Tom

Because the streaming selection is still not there. Unless I know ahead of time that something is on Netflix, most of the searches I do result in either "not available" or "this only comes on old fashioned discs sent through the mail".

I guess if you don't mind Netflix dictating your viewing habits, it's an amazing value. Otherwise, $8/month sounds about right to me.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
16. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 20:10 Tom

Tumbler wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:05:
Amazing universe he manages to build and a believable future. It's equal to Dune (the first book) but delivers more. Dune is tragically short. There are 6 books but the first one is unique. The remaining books don't have the same intensity. I made it to the end of book 4 (dune) and quit. Bored as hell.

Great assessment of the Dune series. It's hard for me to believe anything could equal or surpass that first book...

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2013, 18:59 Tom

Long video but worth watching for those curious about the Rift. It starts to shed some light on the practical difficulties of combining head tracking with mouse input. Valve put some work into trying to solve it. It's nice that they gave the player these different modes to try, but none of them seemed like a real good solution. It was interesting to see that guy's reaction to the last mode which effectively disabled head tracking. Completely intolerable. As I suspected, once you've tasted the head tracking it could be difficult to go without it.

I need to try this thing myself. But at the moment, I still think it's going to be fantastic for vehicle sims and only so-so at best for FPS games.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 13, 2013, 14:42 Tom

Maybe once HDMI 2.0 is finalized and graphics cards + TVs support that, then 4K could be useful. Otherwise it appears to be limited to just 30fps.  

1198 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo