Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1217 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter
3. Re: SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter Aug 17, 2013, 12:18 Tom

Heh. You know Minecraft was (and is) written in Java, right?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 20:34 Tom

Well I still like to drive, even in the city, with a stick. Guess I ain't gettin' too old yet. But I had to drive an auto the other day, for the first time in ages. Except this one had a CVT which was a first for me. There's nothing so sickeningly dull as having the engine maintain constant speed as you accelerate. NO THANKS!

And fake shift paddles ain't gonna cut it either. Would you take a veggieburger over the real thing? No. Not unless you have to for some reason. Right? Ok, maybe you would eh. Not me. Hell no!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RNsZvdYZQ

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 16, 2013, 17:59 Tom

Paywalls are stupid. Whenever I hit one, I just go to Google News and it's absolutely trivial to find hundreds of alternative sources for the same story. Paying a subscription fee for news is obsolete.  

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014
7. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 22:02 Tom

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 21:47:
I hope the PS4 controller follows suit this generation. I finally got used to DS tools but its not an ideal solution. Also, I always have to guess which button I should be pressing.

Forget that crap man, this is the way to go.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014
6. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 12, 2013, 21:59 Tom

Controller design costs big money and it's money well spent. Don't think so? Try using the Ouya controller.

I'd take a DualShock over an Xbox controller any day though. Something about the symmetry of the DualShock layout just feels so much more right to me.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 12, 2013, 19:34 Tom

A "mistake"? Pretty sure it's against the law to operate a GPS jammer! I'd say he got off light.  

News Comments > BeamNG Racing Game Alpha
9. Re: BeamNG Racing Game Alpha Aug 11, 2013, 22:36 Tom

Looks like someone could make a heck of a rally game out of this.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
10. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 11, 2013, 20:43 Tom

"stopped using email"? Come on. This is just sensationalist crap. Anyone with half a clue has known all long that email has NEVER been secure or safe from prying eyes. And it ain't just the government who has access to your email. This is just another one of the rules of the game.  

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 15 More Games
17. Re: Steam Greenlights 15 More Games Aug 11, 2013, 10:06 Tom

Axis wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 20:06:
The key to a 'new' descent, in my not so humble opinion, is to make the levels quite plain like the original (Portalish art style if you never played the Descent series), and fill them with interesting bits.

The problem with almost every 6dof game these days is they all play like flight simulators -- Descent NEVER felt like a flight sim, it was no-gravity quake and it was an absolute killer multiplayer game. Gameplay was 80% strafe up down left right unless you were looking for someone to kill.

Agreed. Descent had a unique feel. I doubt anyone will ever make something with that feel again.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 10, 2013, 10:33 Tom

Yup, that sums it up really well.

The sooner Windows RT is dead, the better. Unfortunately it sounds like NVIDIA is all gung ho on having their stuff in the next-gen Surface RT. And MS realllllly wants people to transition to their new model where everyone is forced to buy all software through their app store where they have total control and take a cut of everything. So unfortunately I think they will keep trying...

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding at $15MM
13. Re: Star Citizen Funding at $15MM Aug 3, 2013, 01:24 Tom

jimnms wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 23:59:
Technically it's not profitable yet. All of this money raised is supposed to be going toward development of the game.
You assume much.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
24. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 11:36 Tom

Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 22:11:
The article author is ignorant on that.

Usually something like this just gets updated on the next revision of the CPU. Its not usually updated software wise. So get the Haswell CPU now and it should overclock fine on non z87 mobos for as long as you own it.
I think you're probably right about this, but I have seen microcode updates on Windows Update in the past. There is no elaborate update process like you get with a BIOS update. It just installs like any other update.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
23. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 11:34 Tom

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 07:26:
I've recently started upgrading all the monitors in my house to 27" (BenQ has a very nice one on amazon for $220) and have to say that it seems perfect. If I go any bigger I'll need to move my head around too much during gaming to see different parts of the HUD.
Agreed that 27" is big enough, but if you're going to go 27", go 2560x1440. I imagine the pixels must be rather large on a 1080p 27" display.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 12:03 Tom

The thing is, you can get a full Windows 8 tablet instead and do everything you can do on the Surface RT plus everything you can do on a real computer. Even the crappy Atom tablets @ ~$500 have much higher performance than the ARM chip in the Surface RT. With the new pricing, Surface RT has a price advantage, but is still a terrible value when considering the functionality gap.

I think Surface RT fails even as a niche product. Its only legitimate asset is the industrial design, which is not nearly enough to make it a competitive product.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 00:24 Tom

The problem is Windows RT. The sooner that POS is just an ugly footnote in history, the better.  

News Comments > Star Control IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up
10. Re: Star Control IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up Jul 24, 2013, 18:49 Tom

Star Control 2 is a true classic. You're in for a treat!  

News Comments > Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans
13. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 23, 2013, 23:03 Tom

If it's turn-based it's not Star Control. Not even close.  

News Comments > Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans
6. Re: Stardock's Star Control Reboot Plans Jul 23, 2013, 21:24 Tom

Ohhh man. Stardock and Star Control? This is a sacred classic property. I hope this turns out better than the new XCOM did, but I won't be expecting much.  

News Comments > Valve's Young Developer Pipeline
11. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 17:55 Tom

MrBone wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:59:
What college? You learn to code well by studying the work of great coders. I would suggest getting into a github project and contributing towards it, etc. It is a great way to learn the craft and work in a team environment.

Studying code can be very helpful, no doubt, but in my opinion the more important source of growth is actually coding. If you want to get better at something, DO IT. A lot. Make an active effort to get better at it. Experiment. Refine. Reflect. Evolve. The relentless pursuit of perfection... it comes from within. Studying the works of others is important but it's only one piece of the puzzle.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2013, 23:59 Tom

Uh huh... because who needs backbones right?  

1217 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo