Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1074 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Project CARS on Steam
13. Re: Project CARS on Steam Jul 8, 2013, 19:44 Tom

theglaze wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 18:51:
Tom wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 17:48:
I guess you haven't tried iRacing...?

I have, but it's not the same style of gameplay nor offers the same amount of content or features, at least not at $50.

Ah ok, that's fair. It sounded like you were talking about just the physics.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Project CARS on Steam
9. Re: Project CARS on Steam Jul 8, 2013, 17:48 Tom

theglaze wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 16:57:
That is encouraging, and i want Project CARS to work out. It's getting boring with only Turn 10 and Polyphony getting it right.

I guess you haven't tried iRacing...?

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 11:14 Tom

Or you could, you know, uncheck the box that says "allow non-intrusive ads". I dunno if they still do this, but AdBlock Plus went out of its way to point this out on initial setup last couple times I installed it.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 5, 2013, 20:22 Tom

Ahh encryption. Great for providing that false sense of security! Encryption is only as good as the weakest link, and there's no shortage of weak links. As Snowden said:

Encryption works. Properly implemented strong crypto systems are one of the few things that you can rely on. Unfortunately, endpoint security is so terrifically weak that NSA can frequently find ways around it.

In other words, not using encryption is like leaving the door to your house unlocked. Using encryption is like locking the door. It will not stop the NSA or other interested parties from finding a way into your house if they want to.

If you really want your communication to be secure, you need to do it via a means that is not subject to interception. For example, on a completely isolated and physically secured network, or perhaps face to face conversation in an area free of listening devices.

News Comments > Independence Day Consolidation
55. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 13:47 Tom

InBlack wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 03:40:
If thats the best defense for the Xbox you can think up then sonny, the battle was lost before there was even a fight. "...is going to have advertising in mind" Really? Really? How about having the gamer in mind? How about having the consumer in mind? LoL, some people...

...except I never said I was defending the Xbox. What I was trying to defend was civility in the discussions here, as opposed to the endless echo chamber of toxic bitchfests that usually happens instead.

You really proved my point though. If MS had actually said "the Xbox One is built for advertising", that would've strongly implied that it's built for advertising first and gaming second. The phrase "built for X" is typically used to mean "built with X as the top priority". For example, the McLaren F1 was built for speed while the Prius was built for fuel economy. But what Microsoft actually said, that it's "going to have advertising in mind", does not have any such implication. There is no mutual exclusion nor prioritization. Those arise only from your own bias and agenda.

30. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 4, 2013, 18:18 Tom

PropheT wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 15:11:
Tom wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 12:06:
Ok, I RTFA AND the source it links to and I'm having a tough time understanding how "[Xbox One] is going to have advertising in mind" (what they actually said) equals "Xbox One is built for advertising" (what you said they said).

Seriously, I hate the XBONE as much as anyone (never owned an MS console and hope I never will) but I would suggest that folks stop putting words in their mouth. It just makes you look hysterical and reflects poorly on the Internet community. Not that we have much to lose there...

Are you being serious? The headline is word for word the title above the article that you said you read. Seriously, click the link...it's in big letters at the top of the page.

Ok let me spell it out for you. A lot of hate in this thread was based on the false claim that someone from Microsoft stated "Xbox One is built for advertising". Nowhere in the article does it actually state that anyone ever said this. What the person from Microsoft said was "[Xbox One] is going to have advertising in mind".

THESE PHRASES ARE NOT EQUAL.

Reasonable reaction to Microsoft stating "Xbox One is built for advertising":
WTF!!! ...various outrage...

Reasonable reaction to "[Xbox One] is going to have advertising in mind":
Well duh, what else would anyone expect based on what they already did with the 360. This is news?

MORAL OF THE STORY:
Don't jump to conclusions based on headlines. They're usually written to grab as much attention as possible by intentionally misleading people.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII
21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 18:05 Tom

JeffD wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 15:08:
Its good.. but still not the same. There are custom instrument sounds in the game that didn't carry over well to midi instruments. On the flip side the horns and strings were horrible on the ps1 version. I had a roland sc-55 at the time ff7 came to pc, but these days I have played the midi tracks using high end 100-200 meg soundfonts.

Those MIDI files were specifically designed for Yamaha's proprietary XG standard. Those files were crafted not only to target particular sounds, but also the attack/decay/sustain/release characteristics of those sounds, as well as the way the synth interprets volume changes and other events affecting the sounds of notes in progress. Even the best Roland synth or biggest soundfont can never do justice to the intent contained within those MIDI files.

Unfortunately, hardly anyone ever had a true XG-capable synth. I believe an XG soft-synth was bundled with the original FF7 PC release, but it had limited OS compatibility and was still lower quality than a hardware synth. I think they even compromised on output sample rate because it was so long ago...

9. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 4, 2013, 12:06 Tom

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 11:22:
Despite all the missteps MS has made these last few months I still can't believe they let an employee utter the words "Xbox One is built for advertising" to a website. They had to have known how badly that will be interpreted right? Or do they not realize? Or don't care? I'm not sure which is worse.

Ok, I RTFA AND the source it links to and I'm having a tough time understanding how "[Xbox One] is going to have advertising in mind" (what they actually said) equals "Xbox One is built for advertising" (what you said they said).

Seriously, I hate the XBONE as much as anyone (never owned an MS console and hope I never will) but I would suggest that folks stop putting words in their mouth. It just makes you look hysterical and reflects poorly on the Internet community. Not that we have much to lose there...

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 11:20 Tom

Verno wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 10:20:
Just a PSA, this is the ancient PC release with the shitty midi soundtrack

Played properly by an XG-capable synth, that MIDI soundtrack is legendary.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Open Beta
14. Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 18:19 Tom

Never heard of either of these before. War Thunder looked promising (great graphics!) until I started reading some of the criticism about using a stick. Apparently it's way unbalanced in favor of mouse users..?

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/43187-joystick-users-disgust/

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 1, 2013, 19:08 Tom

Been using a Samsung Focus S (Windows Phone 7.5) for almost 2 years now. I still like it. It works great as a phone. As a handheld computer it varies. Some things are great, others are so-so, and there are annoyances. The browser is surprisingly good for being IE-based. It's more stable than say, Firefox on Android, and maybe even faster, but doesn't work with as many desktop versions of web sites. Works great with mobile versions though, and YouTube is fantastic with no app needed. Speaking of apps, you won't find the breadth of apps that exist on Android, but there are still a lot of good apps and they tend to function more consistently than Android apps. APIs on Windows Phone are more restricted, but that seems to have been relaxed some on Windows Phone 8 - for example, access to Bluetooth. And yeah, most apps don't have a quit option and the OS doesn't give you one, except to keep hitting the back button until you're back at the home screen and can't go back anymore. That does work but is kind of annoying.

Overall I'm still happy with the phone and will probably get another Windows Phone when the time is right. I've spent about 10 months so far with Android on the Nexus 7 and it's not bad, but feels primitive and clunky in many ways. This is a bad comparison but I'd say it's a little like using Linux instead of Windows on a desktop PC. More customizable, but more quirky, inconsistent, weird time-wasting stuff going on.

I think Windows Phone is best suited to someone who doesn't mind giving up a little control and flexibility in exchange for something that works quickly, smoothly, and is just generally a pleasure to use. Perhaps a middle ground between iOS and Android in that respect? But I haven't used iOS and have no desire to, so that's a total guess.

By the way, the tile thing is not just a gimmick. I much prefer it over the pages of icons/widgets I get on Android. I think people have to try both and actually live with them for a while to really determine what works best for them, though.

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 27, 2013, 18:10 Tom

Ratty wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 10:43:
I've always suspected the govt has had a quantum computer for a number for years and can easily crack any common encryption. I'm wondering if some of those unreleased Snowden documents might reveal that.

Unlikely. From Snowden's Greenwald-moderated Q&A session with the public:
Mathius1
17 June 2013 2:54pm

Is encrypting my email any good at defeating the NSA survelielance? Id my data protected by standard encryption?

Answer:

Encryption works. Properly implemented strong crypto systems are one of the few things that you can rely on. Unfortunately, endpoint security is so terrifically weak that NSA can frequently find ways around it.

If the government actually does have such an extraordinary capability, Snowden does not seem to be aware of it.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jun 23, 2013, 19:48 Tom

Yeah I grabbed the Huey and CA too, spent some time this weekend learning how to fly that thing. Fun stuff! The damage model is spectacular. Tossed a few miniguns and rocket pods on that sucker and went 1-on-1 with a friend on voice who was also flying a Huey. I was surprised to find that there's a flexible sight that gives you a targeting reticle you can freely move around. So you can actually change where the miniguns are pointing using a hat switch.

It sure is a different experience compared to flying the A-10C or P-51D. Nice to try something new and fly around so low to the ground, taking in the lovely sites of... Georgia.

Next up: canyon chase.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
34. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 22, 2013, 15:56 Tom

Voting in this country only gives the illusion of any sort of control over or participation in the system. One need not be a conspiracy nut or extremist to realize this by now. Only one who observes, reasons, and holds accountable.

There is no good candidate, no change, no hope, no chance to turn things around. Only the gradual waning of a once great country's day in the sun. Another country sunk by the ever more brazen corruption of its bureaucrats and elected officials.

Or is this simply the perspective everyone gains as they get older?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 22, 2013, 09:46 Tom

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 09:40:
Amazes me everyone just gives Obama a pass on all the shit going on right now.

Please define 'everyone'.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2013, 17:42 Tom

Winamp is the best. Always has been, always will be.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jun 19, 2013, 21:46 Tom

Seems like EA Spouse was just yesterday. But actually it was almost 9 years ago...  

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 18, 2013, 17:41 Tom

These stories smearing the TSA are amusing just because of the ever more ridiculous lengths that people will go to do it.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 18, 2013, 14:12 Tom

Xbox One sucks but Gamestop sucks even more. Screw them.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Five
8. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Five Jun 16, 2013, 15:51 Tom

Each generational transition has its own unique circumstances. As the expected lifespan of a generation increases, it is natural for the transition time to also increase. Cross platform infrastructure is stronger this time around. And yes, the "this gen is good enough" mentality, as with PCs, will affect everyone - consumers, developers, and the console makers.

I wouldn't take this as a sign of weakness of the next gen consoles. In time, there will be plenty of exclusively next gen games where the devs didn't want to be bound to the old console constraints that have been holding back PC gaming for years - 256/512MB of RAM, relatively ancient GPU, crazy architecture, etc. For games with simultaneous release on multiple generations, there will be sacrifices made on the weaker hardware, as has always been the case for multi-platform games.

Personally I'm not satisfied by the current gen's effective 720p max for 3D games, and the aliasing and relatively low-detail textures and geometry. The next gen will laugh at 1080p, and with 16 times as much RAM there's serious opportunity for better content. For some games the current gen is good enough, but definitely not all. I'll buy a PS4 in a heartbeat once they release a Ryuu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) game that takes advantage of the system.

1074 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo