Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1375 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm in June
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm in June Apr 20, 2015, 21:36 Tom

See, that's what my first impression of the game was too, but I gave it a chance and discovered there's actually a lot of skill involved. With all the focus on objectives and camps, timing is very important, yet having people in lane to pick up XP is also important. There are conflicting goals that force you to strike a balance. And the fast-rising death times mean that teamfights and staying in sync becomes important quickly.

Item buying is mostly replaced by skill selection. With careful selection of skills, you can make your hero more tanky or do more damage, or go for some special makeup. It's not as deep as items but it gets the same basic job done and it's a lot more streamlined.

Last hitting is just tiresome micromanagement IMO. Sure, it's highly skill based, but I'd bet it's more irritating than fun for most people. I give Blizzard credit for having the courage to dump it. (My perspective on this is purely LoL-based but I hear it's worse in DOTA2.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm in June
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm in June Apr 20, 2015, 20:22 Tom

I've been really enjoying this game in closed beta. As a long-time heavy LoL player, I was initially skeptical but the game won me over. It's a different experience but it's fun, maybe more fun (definitely less stressful) than LoL, and Blizzard sure knows how to polish stuff. It doesn't feel too grindy either. I haven't given them a dime yet and I've bought enough heroes to do ranked play.  

News Comments > EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games
8. Re: EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games Apr 16, 2015, 01:45 Tom

Hardline was way overpriced IMO. Wrong strategy. EA got super greedy with this title. I think it would've done a lot better at a $20-30 price point instead of $50-70, given that it's easily seen as more of a modded BF4 than its own unique game. At least, those who see it that way will be expecting the price to drop substantially and will just wait until that happens. That's where I'm at with it, anyway. But if enough time passes, I probably won't have much desire to pick it up even at a drastically lowered price.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 12, 2015, 23:17 Tom

IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Apr 12, 2015, 21:58:
Also what the fuck crack are people smoking that bitch about TWC Internet? I have been on the service for a year now and they ALWAYS give me higher speeds than the line is rated for and there has not been ONE SECOND of downtime the entire damned year.
Translation: ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

Has it ever occurred to you that not everyone has been as lucky as you? Can you grasp the idea that TWC service varies from area to area, and even installation to installation? I know it's hard to imagine, but maybe try a little.

I'm sure TWC and their ilk would love for everyone to believe that everything runs perfectly smoothly for all of their customers. They may appreciate your outlook but as a TWC customer who has been less fortunate than you, I certainly do not.

News Comments > GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs
15. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 8, 2015, 20:27 Tom

Optical drives are dead. Relic of the pre-wired past. Now it's all about downloads, streaming, cloud this and that. Can't download 60GB? Sure you can. Have some patience. Pay your ISP more. Move to a civilized area. Or don't. You can always play something else.

Personally I think the huge downloads and patches these days are useful to highlight the injustice and inadequacy of unreasonable caps that ISPs want to impose, or are already imposing, in areas where people have few choices of provider. Areas that are otherwise worth inhabiting. Mostly, anyway.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Apr 6, 2015, 19:27 Tom

I just saw Interstellar for the first time this past weekend (absolutely brilliantly made movie!) and was thinking the same thing about ED. Maybe it's coming in the future. They do seem quite interested in the visual appearance of astronomical phenomena.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
18. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 30, 2015, 21:20 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 21:08:
QA is time consuming and complex for games like these.

QA is time consuming and complex for practically all games. Getting it done is primarily a matter of discipline.

I am a little curious if this bug, and the cursor trapping one, were present during the backer beta phase, or if they managed to introduce these near the end.

In any case, the game has been solid for me and delightfully deep with a great vibe. I also appreciate a lot of quality text in my games and this one delivers on that front like no other.

News Comments > Valve's HTC Vive Free for Developers
25. Re: Valve's HTC Vive Free for Developers Mar 27, 2015, 17:39 Tom

Before I got a DK2, I spent a long time wondering about VR. Now that I have one and have spent a significant amount of time trying all kinds of different things on it, I can assure the skeptics that VR is undoubtedly going to be extremely popular among gamers. Vehicle simulations are the very obvious win. I will NEVER race on a TV/monitor again, and when the resolution is there the same will be true for flight and space sims. TrackIR will be dead to me.

But there are many more types of games that work well in VR. There are challenges to overcome, but they will be overcome. And in less time than you expect, VR will spread to non-gamers for non-gaming applications. For example, watching movies, exploring Street View, doing VR chat with head/body tracking. I've done all these things with the DK2. They're amazing now and will be even more amazing when the hardware and supporting software improves. And this is just scratching the surface.

Anyway, this is not some VR fanboy pipedream. It will happen. Mark my words. If you were a PC gamer in the 1990's you probably remember the dawn of 3D hardware acceleration with GLQuake and Glide. That's roughly where we're at right now with VR. That technology exploded, and VR will explode similarly.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 25, 2015, 21:44 Tom

Right you are! Someone give this man a cookie.  

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
2. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 25, 2015, 18:28 Tom

Uh. Did you notice this part?

"we only consider your purchase final if you've already started to actually download your game"

Pretty sure this is not going to come close to letting people use the return policy as a rental service...

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2015, 18:39 Tom

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 11:51:
Speaking of popping pimples, I had quite the nasty pimple on my waste, so I popped it and this little bit of cheese came out.
Your waste eh, that's nasty dude.

News Comments > Star Citizen Version 1.1
4. Re: Star Citizen Version 1.1 Mar 22, 2015, 13:19 Tom

Sadly, Star Citizen is far from having a monopoly on bogus version numbering schemes.

I wonder what version it will be at when (if?) it becomes a fun, playable game. 1.5? 2.0? 36.0.4?

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
25. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 21, 2015, 12:42 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 11:25:
Right, I think going right to crap port at this point is a bit fast. But I love how you go the other way, "I'll judge by playing it", assuming that is after you bought it. The point is to know what to buy and not first, not buy and then learn you shouldn't have.
Whoa whoa. Who says I'm going to buy and then learn I shouldn't have? Maybe I'll play the demo on NVIDIA GRID or something.

Or more likely, just watch some [relatively] regular folks playing on YouTube first.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
6. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 21, 2015, 10:29 Tom

There's no evidence here that it's a crap port. If you just wanna be negative for the sake of being negative, have at it - it's quite a tradition here. Personally I'll judge it for myself by playing it. They have a pretty good track record with the previous two games IMO.  

News Comments > Atari and Llamasoft Spar Over Tempest Game
6. Re: Atari and Llamasoft Spar Over Tempest Game Mar 19, 2015, 18:17 Tom

I played the VR demo of TxK with the DK2. I never played any previous Tempest game, but this one was pretty cool. Definitely one of the most technically solid VR games I've seen. Other programmers could learn a thing or two from this guy.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 14, 2015, 20:47 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 19:17:
The analogy is true in another way too. Like Ebola, Google fiber showed up in just a few locations in the US and then spread to nowhere else. At its current rate of growth it will be a threat to Comcast and TWC in around the year 2142.
Very good. Please keep on believing that, and convince all your friends.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2015, 13:30 Tom

These stories deserve to be told without the sensationalist hyperbole.  

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
27. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 08:52 Tom

Descent without single player is not Descent IMO. This KS is pretty sketchy I think. Seems like it could easily be another "cash in on nostalgia, make bank on another mediocre 'reboot'" type situation. I hope it somehow works out, but no way am I funding it.  

News Comments > HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed
26. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 1, 2015, 20:17 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 16:22:
What could they've afford to bring to the mass market with just their KS money, I think it shows they had to be bought out. Could be wrong. I do agree they would have been forced to release something by now. So the question is are we better served getting something decent out there or waiting a looong time for something really good? I think both sides are debatable.
If they hadn't done the buyout, things would've gone differently for sure. They didn't have to do the buyout. They could've released something with just the KS money. It would've probably come out sooner and not been as good as DK2, but probably still enough to be profitable and start moving towards critical mass if they kept at it. It's just hard to say no when someone offers you $2B. *sigh*

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 16:22:
As for price, you are right $3000 Star Citizen dude might not care. But I do and many others I'm sure. If it is above $400 will there be a market to develop for to get it going? Sony's $800 attempts aren't even known to the main PC gaming community. How is Samsung doing with there hybrid?
Sony's $800 attempts aren't known because they're entirely useless for gaming. They're not VR headsets. They're HMDs for watching movies. HUGE difference there. If they delivered on the promise of the Oculus Rift, I don't doubt for a second that people would be buying them in droves even at $800 a pop. Not all the casual/mainstream folks, but not just $3000 Star Citizen guy either.

The way technology used to be, there'd be an expensive product that was cutting edge and groundbreaking, probably flawed in some ways (maybe even deeply) but still worthwhile and successful. Then there'd be a bunch of cheap crap that tried to deliver the same thing but mostly failed. Then over time the cheap stuff would get better and the good stuff would get cheaper and an equilibrium would be reached.

Now, companies try to preempt the "race to the bottom" and start off targeting the low price point right out of the gate because of this misguided belief that "it won't sell" if it's too expensive. If it's a great product, it will sell even if it's expensive. History has shown that and it's still true today. Look at how many people pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for Apple products even when they could get stuff that is almost as good for half the price or less. Now imagine a product where there is no cheaper alternative that's almost as good. That's where we're at with VR, or at least probably will be once someone finally ships a real consumer product. Yet these companies still want to sacrifice quality and target the low end. It's sad.

News Comments > HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed
4. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 1, 2015, 16:13 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 15:36:
Two 1080P screens, in the VR world is that considered a 1080P overall screen (stereoscope) or is that better since it is two?
"overall screen" is irrelevant in VR. What matters is the level of detail visible when you're looking at the screen in VR. That's determined by the pixel density of the display, the optics, and the image processing/distortion. You can't compare it directly to looking at a 2D screen outside of VR. Still, two 1080p screens are unlikely to be that much better than the one in the DK2 in my opinion.

They mention no 4K, no one expected that because what thee hell will be driving to 4k panels?
Yeah, as great as 4K would be, that won't be coming to VR anytime soon due to cost of developing the display (let alone manufacturing it), the other components that would be needed, and the required GPU power to drive such a display at a high framerate. Only hopelessly unrealistic rabid VR fanboys expected Oculus Rift CV1 to have a 4K display and I think most of them have finally (reluctantly) come down to earth.

We'll see, OR does deserve some of this, taking too long. It would have been a KS fail if they didn't get the Facebook cash.
Come on. If they didn't do the FB deal or something similar, don't you think things would've played out differently? Or you think that really had no influence on their planning and decisions?

Cost??
Who cares. The higher the better, I say. If they can use a higher price point to deliver a correspondingly higher quality experience, plenty of people will pay. There's plenty of time for prices to come down as time and technology advance.

1375 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo