Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1141 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 19:17 Tom

Darks wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 12:25:
You guys can laugh and make joke about this all you want, but itís really depressing when you read about this. This is exactly why our economy is like it is. There is no way to compete with this type of slave labor and exactly why the Chinese are taking away our jobs.

Actually there are ways to compete with that type of slave labor. Manufacturing is moving back to the US in some areas. If you want to read a good article about this, check out the following:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/business/us-textile-factories-return.html

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced
7. Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced Oct 8, 2013, 18:39 Tom

Never met a classic adventure game remake that felt right to me, but GK1 was one of the best so I hope they do a good job. VERY much looking forward to the remastered soundtrack as it was an outstanding soundtrack. I've tried my hand at remastering some of those tracks myself, and to this day the cathedral music is my favorite piece to play on the organ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trDQigDiqCg

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 19:16 Tom

There's always someone who tries to give technical justifications for how 64-bit is faster than a 32-bit. The truth is that each has their own advantages and 64-bit is not necessarily any better. There are like a million variables involved, and the results are highly dependent on all these variables combined with the nature of the compute task at hand. And even talking about faster vs. slower, nobody is ever specific enough to make a valid comparison. Are you talking about the speed of 32-bit vs. 64-bit code on the same 64-bit CPU? Different CPUs that are 32-bit and 64-bit but somehow manage to be exactly the same in all other respects? Even the definition of what is 32-bit and what is 64-bit can be blurred.

In my experience, compiling code as 64-bit rarely makes any significant performance difference compared to the same code compiled as 32-bit running on the same 64-bit CPU. Sometimes it even runs slower. 64-bit certainly doesn't just automatically give you performance for free even if there are ways for it to improve performance.

The biggest advantage of a 64-bit CPU is in its ease of addressing memory over 4GB, by far. This is a very clear, important, slam dunk kind of win over 32-bit. Performance is much much much more nebulous.

By the way, the Wikipedia article linked to earlier in this thread says right at the top "the 32-bit Pentium had a 64-bit data bus" so the point about the data bus size seems rather bogus.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 1, 2013, 19:33 Tom

I'd rather have them focus 100% on enabling true VR experiences than to spend resources on hacks for legacy games. Let third parties duke it out in the legacy space. The end result will be better for both VR-specific games and legacy games.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 30, 2013, 19:37 Tom

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 18:45:
Heh, the NSA is at least several times larger than the CIA and FBI. There's stuff they do nobody else can. The problem is accountability. All of them are corrupt but the people don't care.

Even if the people did care, those in power have ensured there's nothing they can do about it.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 30, 2013, 18:40 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 18:35:
AMD spent up to $8m on Battlefield 4 deal - report.

It's going to be interesting to see if Mantle-optimized software offers any performance advantages over stuff that isn't.

It will, but only on AMD hardware. This is their means of waving the white flag when it comes to driver development. Meanwhile, NVIDIA hardware will remain competitive through the traditional D3D pipeline. Hahaha.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 29, 2013, 18:09 Tom

Axis wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 17:22:
Glad to see Cutter is still fooling himself daily, I've come to enjoy watching these liberal masses fool themselves into oblivion.

Me? Just reaping the benefits of plans I've made working hard all my life to prepare my family financially for times such as these.

Those who perpetuate ideological warfare are the true fools.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 25, 2013, 17:44 Tom

avianflu wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 11:12:
nice but why bother? the nexus models are perfect.

And we have competition to thank for that.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Sep 24, 2013, 23:15 Tom

Yeah, the music and sfx really make this.

Brings back memories of Rebel Assault... yeah that's right, 20 years ago we had this trench run on the PC. All you needed was a 1X CD-ROM drive.

News Comments > CLANG Kickstarter Goes Clunk
9. Re: CLANG Kickstarter Goes Clunk Sep 19, 2013, 23:37 Tom

If people expect every KS to work out, they need to get their heads checked. This sort of thing is going to happen sometimes. These projects involve substantial risks, which is why KS requires them to write a section about risks. Those risks are real and that section is not fine print to be skipped over.

I liked some of Neal Stephenson's books a lot but this project sounded too risky for my tastes. Glad I didn't invest.

News Comments > SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced
8. Re: SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced Sep 19, 2013, 23:29 Tom

Lorcin wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 21:51:
Living in a city in a future imagined by EA? RATED M FOR SCARY AS FUCK BITCH!

LOL! Hey, it was cool in Mirror's Edge though.

News Comments > Silent Hunter Online Open Beta
12. Re: Silent Hunter Online Open Beta Sep 16, 2013, 23:02 Tom

Never played a Silent Hunter game. Can any of them compete with 688 Attack Sub?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2013, 11:34 Tom

Holy smokes that pcpartpicker.com site is AMAZING.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2013, 10:47 Tom

Let us pay a subscription to get an ad-free layout. If a site like Ars can do it, why not Blue's?  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 12, 2013, 21:05 Tom

Asmo wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 18:54:
People rage for a reason. From not getting your lane/jungle pick, or someone else choosing the champ you wanted to use, or from trying to play your best while the rest of the team feeds, or fucks around or w/e. Yeah, it can often be a person with crappy skills blaming the rest of the team, but I'd guess it's as often a good player completely demoralised and annoyed that they are being dragged down by poor players.

Indeed, and there are valuable life lessons to be learned from such experiences.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
75. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 8, 2013, 22:53 Tom

The return on the investment is that the project you care about gets made, and gets made with more stuff than it might have otherwise had. There's no guarantee that the project will succeed, hence the risks section required by Kickstarter.

And yes, of course, if they get sued they will need a lawyer. But their defense will be easy - assuming no evidence of fraud is produced - to the point where "lawyering up" suggests more than is necessary.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
73. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 8, 2013, 11:50 Tom

Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 07:54:
I'm sure there aren't many people spending this much, and of course it's none of my business really. Maybe their father is a Saudi prince. I'll consider spending $40 on the game pre-launch although I'll probably wait for launch. Anything more than that, no. I'm certainly not going to double my expenditure for the next few years to buy a virtual space ship that may or may not be any good in a game which may or may not be any good.

Whether or not the game is a success (in terms of being a good game, regardless of finances), I hope they're lawyered up. Delays and disappointments are inevitable and one of these days, a crowd-funded game is going to go wrong and many people will be braying for blood. Imagine spending $5k on a virtual space ship only for the developers to somehow go bust and the game never getting released.

You've completely missed the point of crowdfunding. You are part of a crowd that is funding the project. That's how your money is being used. You're not buying virtual spaceships, the game, or anything else. You're making an investment in their project. Like any investment, there is risk. By giving them money you accept that risk. If you don't do your due diligence, that's on you. You aren't entitled to anything should the developer go bust without releasing the game. It is not necessary for them to lawyer up. Those are the terms you agreed to by investing.

Now, if the whole thing turns out to be a sham, you might be successful in a lawsuit that accuses them of fraud. But if they make any kind of decent effort and it just doesn't pan out for whatever reasons, good luck with that.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2013, 17:44 Tom

I used PSP7 for ages before finally switching to Paint.NET. Corel can go to hell.  

News Comments > DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter
5. Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter Sep 5, 2013, 23:26 Tom

DCS runs fine on my 4 year old PC (i7-860, GTX 570) on medium to high settings at 2560x1440. Yeah, there are occasional slowdowns when on a server with a lot of players nearby, but I'd hardly say it sucks balls.

Let me guess, you're one of those who must run every game on absolute highest settings and if it doesn't work smoothly it's crap.

News Comments > DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter
2. Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter Sep 5, 2013, 22:50 Tom

If you look at how they structured the rewards and stretch goals, it makes sense. Better to get something than nothing, and the hardcore flight sim community is relatively small. Hopefully they go well beyond the $100k but if not, at least it's something.  

1141 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo