Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1114 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
39. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 01:19 Tom

In this modern era, I think the appropriate question is not "is it P2W?" or "is there P2W?" - it's "how much damage to the player's experience is done by the way(s) they accept real money?"

Obviously different players are going to be impacted differently. It is possible to have a good balance between business model and overall player satisfaction while still having microtransactions. LoL is a good example of a game that gets it right.

In my opinion, it's far too early to assume that Star Citizen is going to screw this up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More BF4 Commander Mode Details
9. Re: More BF4 Commander Mode Details Aug 31, 2013, 10:12 Tom

Didn't know they were bringing back commander mode. If you can air drop supply crates on the heads of snipers like the good ol' days, I'm there baby, yeah!  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
61. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 23:43 Tom

nin wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:50:
Hey, if just the hanger can produce 59 posts in one day, just think what happens when the actual content shows up. To me, it shows people are interested. :)

Darn right. And just wait until the Oculus Rift is ready..... might just be a match made in heaven.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 30, 2013, 22:44 Tom

Umm... You haven't really looked at how much taxpayer money gets spent on what, have you?

Unfortunately, $10B is absolutely peanuts. We spend more than that in a single year on giving away weapons to foreign countries. Like Syria, for example.

We've spent 146 times that on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars since 2001.

http://nationalpriorities.org/cost-of/

59. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 22:30 Tom

Hey now. Is there really a sound basis for such pessimism? The Hangar module is hardly representative of all they've accomplished so far. They've already shown videos of ships flying in space firing pretty lazers. Thrusters rotating and firing in sophisticated ways according to a simulation. And keep in mind, before there can be visible progress, there's a great deal of work to be done in building infrastructure. On many levels. This is the nature of production. Sure, it could take forever, but I think it's way too early to give up hope of them coming anywhere near hitting the timeframes they've been aiming for.

If there's one thing to fear though, it's the lack of a publisher to crack the whip and force things to happen in a certain amount of time. As a creator, the lack of constraints seems like the best gift you could ever have. But in truth it will destroy you. Can the backer community serve as an acceptable substitute for a publisher to drive progress in a reasonable amount of time? That's a really big question in this great experiment.

52. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 19:40 Tom

Blahman wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 19:09:
Haha I love those screenshots in Crysis. How long before someone cooks up a flyable version?

In Kerbal Space Program, please!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 28, 2013, 20:13 Tom

Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:06:
Yahoo uses more space on mine:
http://i.imgur.com/k7z9C4v.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CmxpBrh.jpg

I guess they either reverted to the old layout or made some big changes already, because the site right now doesn't look much like that screenshot to me...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 27, 2013, 23:15 Tom

Yeah, I was counting on the additional registers as being the main reason for additional performance when going 64-bit, and 31% still seems like a stretch if x86->x64 is any indication. Maybe things are different on ARM? I mean, you can always come up with some tasks where the additional registers and instructions will make a huge difference. But are they the common things that people are waiting around on the CPU for? I doubt it. "animations, transparencies, and other iOS 7 graphical effects" - those things should be GPU bound anyway, right? Seems to me what matters here is stuff like app startup, compression, crypto, browser page processing/rendering/JS execution, etc.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 27, 2013, 18:43 Tom

64-bit may offer some small gains in performance (31% sounds like a stretch), but the primary reason to go 64-bit - on phones and on desktops - is to be free of address space restrictions. Some phones already have 2GB of RAM today. If they want to go much higher than that, it's going to be a lot easier if the CPU and OS are 64-bit. Might as well start the transition sooner rather than later so that things are in place and ready.

Yeah, the OS and apps are going to be bigger too, but that's never stopped Apple before. (Universal binaries, high resolution support...)

Plus it's a spec they can sell people on who don't know any better. "64 must be twice as good as 32!"

Some code actually runs slower when compiled as 64-bit since the 2x size of an address (pointer) can cause more data to need to be transferred around, things to not fit in CPU caches as nicely, and other fun stuff.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 22:23 Tom

All of the criticisms stated so far here are valid. I would just like to add the massive brain drain that has happened over the last decade, with many (most?) of the most talented people at MS leaving for Google and others. Really heartbreaking in some cases.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2013, 16:23 Tom

Yeah, there's no way any government employees would be in it just for the money, right? Especially not the leadership. That would never happen.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 22, 2013, 22:33 Tom

What is up with these stupid headlines "The NSA collected data on tens of thousands of Americans"? Are they working for the NSA? The NSA's strategy has been to "collect it all". So what's the point of a figure like "tens of thousands"? The true number is likely in the hundreds of millions of Americans plus hundreds of millions more people outside the United States.

The problem with the strategy of "collect it all" is that we're supposed to just trust the government to 1) safeguard the staggering amount of information they've collected and 2) use it in a way that respects the law, the constitution, and common decency. Why should they be trusted with such awesome power and responsibility? Have they proven themselves worthy of this trust? History is littered with examples of why we should not trust them or anyone with this kind of power.

That 1983 article was excellent. That was real journalism. Compare it to what passes for journalism today. Sad.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Launches Next Month
2. Re: World of Warplanes Launches Next Month Aug 20, 2013, 18:50 Tom

A coworker recently convinced me to try War Thunder... so I finally tried it last night. I did two tutorials, two random battles, and some test flights. Coming from DCS (A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H) I was horrified. I thought War Thunder would at least have a graphical advantage based on the screenshots and videos I'd seen, but in reality even that felt cheap and out of whack.

The physics model and overall feel of the aircraft was just ... extremely arcadish. Even in the test flight when I was trying to set it on Historical Battle mode or whatever, it still seemed really really bad.

I'm probably going to give it one more shot, make sure I really did experience the best physics they have to offer, but I suspect I've been hopelessly spoiled by DCS. It's just a completely different level of fidelity in all areas.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 20, 2013, 00:06 Tom

I like how he traded in his Mercedes AMG every 6 months JUST so he could exploit some loophole in the law that would let him avoid having a license plate on the car. Oh, and then always park it in the handicap space in the company parking lot. Real classy guy.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2013, 23:19 Tom

I recommend Scott Manley's original video on Papers, Please. It's done with a delightful accent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGJXvUvP9pI

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2013, 12:20 Tom

Papers, Please is an amazing game, truly a rare gem. I've found it difficult to convince anyone to try it though. They can't seem to see past what seems to them like boring simple repetition. It's hard to get across what makes this game magical.  

News Comments > SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter
10. Re: SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter Aug 18, 2013, 00:48 Tom

Redmask wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 22:09:
Tom wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 12:18:
Heh. You know Minecraft was (and is) written in Java, right?

Previous statement is even more appropriate now.

Well, I certainly wouldn't characterize Minecraft as "slow and clunky". Maybe if you do crazy stuff with it, but just playing the game normally it was always perfectly smooth for me.

News Comments > SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter
3. Re: SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter Aug 17, 2013, 12:18 Tom

Heh. You know Minecraft was (and is) written in Java, right?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 20:34 Tom

Well I still like to drive, even in the city, with a stick. Guess I ain't gettin' too old yet. But I had to drive an auto the other day, for the first time in ages. Except this one had a CVT which was a first for me. There's nothing so sickeningly dull as having the engine maintain constant speed as you accelerate. NO THANKS!

And fake shift paddles ain't gonna cut it either. Would you take a veggieburger over the real thing? No. Not unless you have to for some reason. Right? Ok, maybe you would eh. Not me. Hell no!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RNsZvdYZQ

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 16, 2013, 17:59 Tom

Paywalls are stupid. Whenever I hit one, I just go to Google News and it's absolutely trivial to find hundreds of alternative sources for the same story. Paying a subscription fee for news is obsolete.  

1114 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo