Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1200 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers for Titanfall
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers for Titanfall Mar 10, 2014, 17:44 Tom

Played the beta for half an hour. Meh. Could be good if you want something super fast paced. It was more shallow than I was expecting.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 9, 2014, 10:55 Tom

Yeah there may be some games that are on sale more often than others, but they have different games on sale all the time. There is no shortage of sales on Steam...  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 7, 2014, 20:25 Tom

Oh no, us armchair Internet commenter critics have all the facts. Clearly she was in the wrong and this whole thing was her fault.  

News Comments > PC Dark Souls II Next Month
10. Re: PC Dark Souls II Next Month Mar 6, 2014, 21:14 Tom

{PH}88fingers wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 20:09:
The savings and enjoyment I get out of a $39/year vpn service has paid itself over so many times it's baffling others complain and don't join in.

Yes, why people would ever want to avoid committing fraud is baffling indeed.

News Comments > DICE Addressing BF "Netcode"
3. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 18:07 Tom

It'd be nice if they fixed it so that you couldn't get shot so often after already having taken cover. That is really annoying. If they fixed that, maybe I'd play a little more. And they'd have to do a heck of a lot more than that to convince me to buy Premium. Not shoving it down my throat every time I go to play would be a start.  

News Comments > Garry's Mod & Rust Have Each Earned > $30M
5. Re: Garry's Mod & Rust Have Each Earned > $30M Feb 22, 2014, 16:12 Tom

There are a LOT of people actively playing Rust. It has the 8th highest concurrent users on Steam at the moment. I never thought I'd like this kind of game but I got sucked into it. It has an intensity that other kinds of games lack, and there's something to be said for that. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, nor those who give up easily in the face of adversity.

Of course, there are legitimate problems with cheaters, bugs, endgame, etc, but for an alpha it's quite good. $30 million good? Considering how the market is these days, yeah. I'd say they earned it. Definitely looking forward to seeing this game evolve.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
51. Re: Star Citizen Passes $38M Feb 6, 2014, 19:53 Tom

I get that there are a lot of red flags, and the number of promises is off the scale. Will they be able to deliver on everything? Make a game that satisfies every wish? Of course not. Are they going to completely screw this up and make a terrible P2W pile of crap? Maybe, but so far I haven't seen any evidence of that being the most likely outcome.

This project actually has some things going for it. Personally I think they have a pretty decent chance of making a good game - maybe even a great game - and making it better over time. Am I $300 convinced? No way. I got the $30 scout package or whatever it was, in order to get access to the alpha.

I'm just a little annoyed that we've had like 100 Star Citizen threads here, and in every single one there's been this overwhelming stream of negativity - mostly from the same people every time. It's like they feel compelled to repeat the same extremely pessimistic views every time they see another Star Citizen thread. I understand that this is the nature of the Internet, and certainly everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but come on people. Did Chris Roberts murder your families? No. Give the guy a frickin' chance already. It's not like his track record is THAT BAD.

$0.02

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
16. Re: Star Citizen Passes $38M Feb 5, 2014, 23:20 Tom

Another Star Citizen post, another raft of BN regulars pissing all over it. *yawn*

I've come to hope the game is successful JUST to prove you guys wrong.

News Comments > Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion
12. Re: Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion Feb 1, 2014, 09:48 Tom

Anyone who invested in Shroud of the Avatar despite Garriott's track record was taking an enormous leap of faith. Glad I avoided this one.  

News Comments > Wings of Saint Nazaire Alpha
7. Re: Wings of Saint Nazaire Alpha Jan 26, 2014, 22:38 Tom

The browser post was just trolling.

I tried the download version out briefly. It was ... interesting. The style is a slightly odd mix of new and old (mostly old). The demo is rather limited. You enter a space battle with a lot of friendly and enemy ships duking it out, you kill enemy ships, and more of them keep spawning infinitely. After about 2 or 3 minutes you've seen it all. There is potential, but this demo was like a tech demo - works well enough but doesn't show that there's actually a game there.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 26, 2014, 22:35 Tom

Funny, Korean broadband wasn't looking so awesome yesterday.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
39. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2014, 21:16 Tom

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 19:38:
Technically, Minecraft doesn't have voxels. ;)

Yeah yeah, you know what I mean.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2014, 19:15 Tom

I never tried DayZ (the mod or the game) or anything like it, but a friend got me into Rust this weekend. Wow. It's intense. Kind of like a multiplayer STALKER but with elements of Minecraft (minus the voxels). I played a lot of hours this weekend and didn't run into a single bug or crash - very impressive for an early access alpha. It is a bit more GPU intensive than I'd expect but I never had any slowdowns.

I'm very interested to see where the game goes from here.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast
1. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 23, 2014, 17:36 Tom

Yeah, and they had Patrick Stewart do voice acting for Oblivion too! What a joke.

Instead of paying for all these big name voice actors, how about not re-using the same exact voice clips and dialogue for 100 different NPCs? Cookie-cutter voice acting is one of the biggest immersion killers.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 20, 2014, 21:44 Tom

US Army, meet Colonel Kernel Panic.  

News Comments > Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides
7. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 20, 2014, 00:15 Tom

Jensen wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 22:58:
VR seems more suited for a console, where developers have a common target and can guarantee good performance. Maybe that's where Steam Machines could be useful?

I don't know about Steam Machines, and those are good "nice to have" things, but consoles fail on two critical fronts: raw horsepower and relatively unbounded innovation. All things considered, the PC thoroughly trounces consoles right now as the best platform for VR. And I don't see this changing in this latest generation of consoles. Maybe it will with the next gen in another couple of years, depending on how things go on the PC.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 19, 2014, 10:29 Tom

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 07:20:
If a 10 year old kid knows Ezio's backstory, that kid's parents have failed miserably at their responsibilities.
I'm not saying they should know anything about Mario (what's there to know? Princess, bowser, green pipes), but they shouldn't be playing games that reward them for murdering people in public and not being spotted.

Yeah, seriously. The Assassin's Creed games are NOT for kids! WTF.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2014, 19:55 Tom

Kitkoan wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 17:07:
You've never dealt with the police before, have you?

Not quite that simple. They have no problems in using more... physical ways of "persuading" you for the information. Or arrest you on a sayso.

The super-paranoid know how to pass the wrench test. In theory.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 18, 2014, 19:44 Tom

I got my Wii U at a nice discount ($250) a while back. I decided to pick one up mainly because I'd given away my Wii but wanted to get back into Wii Fit. Well, the killer app for the system for me turned out to be Wii Sports Club tennis online multiplayer. I loved tennis on the Wii but almost never had a chance to play it with other humans. I played against the AI until my skill level went off the chart (literally) but that could only go on for so long. It only took 7 years but they finally made an online multiplayer version, and I love it. It has its problems (synchronous netcode like the original Quake before QuakeWorld, which SUCKS when you get matched up with someone in Brazil) but it's still a ton of fun. And it's easy to fire up casually, play a few rounds after work, and burn off some stress without involving shooting.

Art Academy: Sketchpad + the Miiverse is a close second for me. The Miiverse is an amazing community full of insanely talented people who love to draw and share their art. Nintendo has made it super easy to find, keep up with, and communicate with these people. And even if you never really did any drawing (like me) it really encourages you to try it out. The feel of the stylus on the Wii U gamepad is great, with just the right resistance for drawing. You won't get that feel with the ability to draw directly onto a screen on many other devices, I think.

It saddens me to see Nintendo struggle with this but if the Wii U is a flop, so be it. So was the Dreamcast, and I still got an incredible amount of enjoyment out of that.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 16, 2014, 22:47 Tom

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 22:31:
Funny how he got elected in 2008 running against this very thing.

I used to think lawyers were the worst of the worst. Now I know it's politicians.

1200 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo