Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1167 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > China Rises for BF4 Premium Members
14. Re: China Rises for BF4 Premium Members Dec 3, 2013, 18:27 Tom

I've been having enough fun with BF4 that I'm seriously considering the premium now. Yeah it crashes every now and then and I hope they keep improving that, but it's not getting in the way that much. I played for a solid 2 hours last night and didn't get a single crash. It seems like finding a good server may be key to avoiding problems.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 2, 2013, 23:11 Tom

Task wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 21:39:
Would you download a car?

Why, yes I would.

If only it was possible.

News Comments > Thief at 15
12. Re: Thief at 15 Dec 1, 2013, 19:46 Tom

If there are any Thief fans who haven't tried the Dark Mod yet, check it out. I gave it a whirl after the news that it went standalone and was very impressed. Very true to the original feel of Thief.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 24, 2013, 10:27 Tom

Winamp is one of only two applications I've used every day since 1997, and I wrote the other one myself. Fortunately Winamp is the kind of nearly timeless software that very rarely requires updating, so I fully expect to get at least another 10+ years out of it.  

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
77. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 15:01 Tom

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 13:55:
Tom wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:04:
....input (mouselook???)...

I'm pretty sure mouselook was first used in Bethesda's "Terminator: Future Shock" and id only adapted it from there.

That is true, but I think it's safe to say that id perfected it, popularized it, and made it the dominant control scheme that people take for granted today. Revolutionary advancement rarely means being the absolute first to do something. See Apple, for example.

69. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 12:04 Tom

Carmack's earlier work in graphics was enough to WAY MORE than offset any failures in the last decade. "kinda breaks even"? Sorry but that's just an incredibly ignorant statement.

Even aside from graphics, which would've been more than enough, Carmack (along with his team at id) was responsible for revolutionary advances in all areas of game engines - game data packaging, engine architecture, scripting, modding(!!!), netcode (DOOM and then QuakeWorld anyone???), input (mouselook???), sound, and even the modern concept of a game engine itself. It just goes on and on. And he's been more generous than most when it comes to sharing this hard work via source code releases and, especially in the old days, direct communication with the fans.

I understand that if you weren't around back then, he may seem like an overrated washed up has been. But his achievements in the game development industry truly were unique and monumental. You should do a little studying of history if you don't understand that.

60. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 09:56 Tom

You know nothing.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Player Appreciation Week
11. Re: Battlefield 4 Player Appreciation Week Nov 23, 2013, 09:45 Tom

Yeah BF4's got a few issues, so did BF3 at launch. It's still plenty playable and I've already had tons of fun with it. The only things I'd like to see them fix are the occasional crash on loading a new map and the lack of vehicle sounds sometimes while driving.  

9. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 22, 2013, 21:07 Tom

End of one era, beginning of another? I hope he can get his mojo back and return to his former glory in the VR space. Keen, Wolfie, DOOM, Quake... lotta good times. I ain't givin' up on him yet. But I ain't playin' RAGE either, even if it's free.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Known Issues
48. Re: Battlefield 4 Known Issues Nov 5, 2013, 00:03 Tom

Mirror's Edge 2 with the new Frostbite engine is going to look insanely awesome. I kept thinking about it while playing BF4. So looking forward to it.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Known Issues
40. Re: Battlefield 4 Known Issues Nov 4, 2013, 17:42 Tom

I've played about half way through the single player campaign with no problems, and a couple hours of multi with only one client crash immediately after loading a map once. Seems plenty stable enough to me. Maybe if I played it 24/7 I'd be running into more of the problems, but I ain't got time for that.

I think this game was worth the $48 I paid for the single player alone. Even though it's really short, it's fun and the graphics are just amazing. Definitely a level beyond anything I've seen to date. I'm enjoying the multi a lot too.

Between BF4 and DCS, I finally got motivated to pull the trigger on a new PC for the first time in over 4 years. Yeah I could've made do with this one for another year or two but what the hell. I want to crank those settings at 2560x1440 and have some anti-aliasing again.

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
43. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 3, 2013, 20:36 Tom

Beamer wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 18:39:
Also, if those with the dollars were doing this, why isn't Apple, Microsoft, Sony, or Samsung doing this? They certainly have infinitely more money than the Occulus Rift guys do.

They're trying. Sony has already released 3D headsets, and they're working on a full VR headset for the PS4. This stuff ain't easy though.

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
29. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 3, 2013, 09:04 Tom

There is no need for Oculus Rift to do anything with Android in order to get better displays. They can piggyback on mobile display innovations without needing to do that. They want to do stuff with Android because it's fun and sexy, not because it's particularly useful or valuable compared to hooking up to a PC.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip
19. Re: Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip Oct 30, 2013, 18:30 Tom

I'm sure that works great with Punkbuster...  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 23:17 Tom

Taskeen wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 22:40:
Uh Oleg just successfully funded a DCS WW2 module. And many of the IL-2 devs are now creating IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad. Still there, and we're still paying em, and playing their games.

Not Oleg, Ilya.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
12. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 20:57 Tom

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:10:
On the other hand it is perfectly possible that there are in fact that many nutters out there.

Judging by the commenters in this thread and ones like it, there's certainly no shortage of nutters out there.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 19, 2013, 00:59 Tom

NFS hasn't been worth anything since Porsche Unleashed anyway. Yawn.  

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
14. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 17:49 Tom

These things always go in phases. First there's single-vendor proprietary. This is soon copied. In time, the various proprietary systems are unified by one or more standards.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 16, 2013, 22:24 Tom

That's not the true cost and you know it.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 16, 2013, 20:57 Tom

...except it's not even cheap...  

1167 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo