Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1141 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 01:02 Tom

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:22:
*EDIT* What the shit? The beta is $75.00 ? I assume the retail price will be less, and this is to discourage people or something?

Yes, it's a phased rollout with price as a barrier. Alpha access was $300, you know. And they still had plenty of takers.

Also, part of the reason for the pricing is because they did a Kickstarter with alpha/beta access as rewards for higher tiers, and they want to do right by those backers by not undercutting that pricing later on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
15. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 19:04 Tom

Fion wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 18:30:
If they were going to be bought by someone (and they were to big NOT to have)

Interesting logic there. Why exactly were they "too big NOT to have [been bought]"?

8 years ago, Facebook was pretty big. Big enough to be offered upwards of $1B by Yahoo, Google, and others. And $1B was a lot of money back then. But Zuck and company wanted $2B+. They chose not to sell. Today their market cap is almost $200B. They can blow $2B on Oculus like it's nothing, and $19B on Whatsapp.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video
30. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 25, 2014, 08:13 Tom

At the same time, hopefully VR won't be held back too much by the drive to keep costs as low as possible. Enthusiasts will be throwing thousands of dollars at computing power to handle certain applications in VR. There will undoubtedly be a market for an upscale VR headset that delivers higher quality.  

28. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 25, 2014, 00:16 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 23:14:
So you felt that was pretty good and doable? Would you say it is better than just a flat monitor in that kind of setup?

I was thinking at first that was the next step, just getting a more immersive monitor using the same ole, but I see they are going full on. I just know a lot of these 3d style devices, it isn't easy to handle in most cases and it will be a large entry barrier for many. I'm glad the system can be just basic or be full on and probably many variations in-between, that just gives us more ways to play when we feel like something different.

It seemed pretty good, but I need to spend more time with it to know for sure if I'd rather play an FPS this way or just use a monitor. I think I'm going to try to do my initial playthrough of Bioshock: Infinite entirely in the Rift as a test.

The 3D and increased FOV make for greater immersion, and of course the headset is blocking out the rest of your surroundings in the real world. You see only the game world. You get a lot of the "you are there" feeling that VR brings to the table even if you don't make use of the headtracking, although the headtracking does add a LOT to that feeling.

The main downsides to gaming with the Rift right now are the limited resolution, significantly increased computing power needed, roughness of supporting software, motion sickness, and it's a bit clunky to get in/out of the setup with headset+headphones and possibly tangling cords. You will also have some serious marks on your face after a while.

Regarding the motion sickness, it seems to vary drastically from person to person from what I've read. An FPS game where you start and stop all the time and turn your view without turning your real head can cause motion sickness. But, it's not been as bad for me as I expected. I had a bit of nausea with my first VR FPS experience (HL2) but it never got serious. I also seem to be handling it better with practice, although it's still too soon to know for sure. It's still a little troublesome to run around very quickly while also turning all over the place, and cutscenes where they take control of the camera are uncomfortable but tolerable.

Need to give it some more time.

25. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 22:50 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 22:27:
What if you just use the Rift as a display device? Enclosed, large FOV and 3d. Turn off head tracking and then play with a K/M. To me it seems like a more awesome monitor in that way. What could be cool is you could go full VR with new style of games, but you could also play the older one's with k/m and simply be more immersed.

I experimented with doing exactly this yesterday and today with the DK2. I played HL2, Skyrim, and Bioshock Infinite (the latter two via vorpX). It's possible to look around with the headtracking, and that works fairly well, but I usually find myself just looking straight ahead and using the KB/mouse as I would with a monitor. At slower points in the game when there's interesting stuff to look at, it makes more sense to use the headtracking. It is pretty cool.

Of course, DCS and Elite: Dangerous are really far better uses of the Rift right now. DCS especially. Once I [mostly] got rid of the stuttering on head turning, got the mouse working for interacting with cockpit controls, and learned that the view can be re-centered with numpad 5, it turned out to be even better than I'd hoped. I actually felt like I was going to fall out once when I was leaning out the side of the airplane while flying the Mustang with the canopy popped...

17. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 18:30 Tom

Geez, and here I thought just plain old HL2 in VR with KB/mouse was pretty cool. Guess it's time to dust off the ol' Hydra. This looks too fun to play around with.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Video; Funding to be Deemphasized
19. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Video; Funding to be Deemphasized Aug 20, 2014, 20:48 Tom

Elite is totally awesome and is kicking Star Citizen's butt at the moment, but I think it's a gross exaggeration to say it has a "fully living universe" right now. It is, however, well on its way.

Regarding the flicker in SC, you don't have to kill SLI system-wide. Just add an exception for SC in the driver settings (SLI mode = single GPU or whatever). It's still flaky but it generally works. I'm guessing they have problems with CryEngine and the only guy in the world who knows how to fix it probably rage quit Crytek by now. Maybe they can solve it when they switch to UE4 in another year or two, haha!

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Video; Funding to be Deemphasized
10. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Video; Funding to be Deemphasized Aug 20, 2014, 18:43 Tom

Come now, is this not how our world works? The more money one has, the more money one needs. Same with power. Just look around.  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline in February; Open Beta in January?
9. Re: Battlefield Hardline in February; Open Beta in January? Aug 20, 2014, 12:12 Tom

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 10:40:
Vietnam was fun for BF3 and it was priced right too.

Surely you mean BFBC2 Vietnam.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline in February; Open Beta in January?
4. Re: Battlefield Hardline in February; Open Beta in January? Aug 20, 2014, 10:33 Tom

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 10:08:
Everyone I've talked to that played the beta said it was like a payday dlc for BF.

Quite right. Also reminded me of BFBC2 Vietnam, but it did go a bit beyond that. The new game mode of getting money to your base before the other team turned out to be pretty fun, but not pay-like-it's-a-whole-new-game fun. I think I could pick this up in the $15-20 range and not feel ripped off.

If they do charge $40-50, I'd just wait. Even BF4 has been on sale for $20 already, less than a year into its lifetime.

News Comments > Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft
37. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 19:13 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 18:33:
I think you're making my point for me? You kind of start off opposing my statement, but support it at the end.

No, not really. What I'm saying is that niche technologies sometimes go mainstream. If you invest in those successful technologies early on, and don't screw things up, you can make a boatload of money. So I think it's shortsighted to characterize Zuck's investment as primarily because it's a fun technology that he's a fan of. There is considerable potential upside. If you dispute that, I think you would've likely been a naysayer of 3D hardware acceleration and smartphones as well. By the way, notice how these example technologies contribute to VR... who knows what technologies VR may contribute to in the future.

What I meant at the end of my statement is that even if the Oculus Rift remains a niche technology that doesn't go mainstream and doesn't generate massive profits for FB/Zuck, he'll still have made out fine on the deal. This doesn't have to mean the deal wasn't primarily financially motivated, it just means it's not like he's going to be totally screwed if the deal doesn't work out. So given that he IS a fan (as opposed to some purely money-worshipping investor like say Carl Icahn), why not do it?

Btw, saying "smartphones went mainstream because people need phones" seems like a flawed premise to me. Why do they need to pay $300-800 for a smartphone when a $20 feature phone would be sufficient for making calls, taking pictures, sending text messages, etc? People don't need smartphones. But they're a huge, booming business anyway.

News Comments > Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft
21. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 15:48 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 14:55:
And it really seems like Zuck was making this investment not primarily as a financial decision, but as a fan of the technology ($2B for niche tech? Are you kidding me?).

3D hardware acceleration was once niche tech. Smartphones were once niche tech. Someone with the means and vision could have made a fortune on those and any number of other things. Zuck's $2B could easily be handsomely rewarded. And if it isn't? No big loss for him, he'll still be filthy rich no matter what. And he'll have had tons of fun with Oculus Rift. Why would he NOT do that deal, given the opportunity? Why would you not do it?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 15, 2014, 18:04 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 15:25:
I do hear that there isn't that much to play with on the OR right now though. Does anyone have one? And if so, what are you playing on it, besides the Elite D beta?

It looks like next week Oculus will start shipping DK2 to people in the US who ordered later than the first day or two of pre-orders (March 19-20). I ordered on March 26th and my order status changed last night to "Processing: Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch." Woohoo!

Out of the box my priorities will be DCS, Elite: Dangerous, HL2 (just as an experiment), and various Rift-specific demos. When support is ready, I'm also looking forward to trying iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Skyrim, and more.

And of course I'll be working on my own project with UE4, assuming I can tear myself away from this other stuff.

News Comments > Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander
25. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 11, 2014, 00:08 Tom

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 23:37:
Looking at the SDK, the hooks don't appear to be that challenging to implement... it's just a matter of making sure that the TrackIR motions don't cause issues (go out of bounds, etc.), and that's all on RSI coders...

I've implemented it myself for my own 3D engine/application. Took less than a day, and I had to deal with substantial obstacles that these guys would not have to. For them it should take one programmer a few hours if he knows what he's doing, otherwise a few days tops. Dealing with bounds issues should be trivial given the extent they've modeled everything.

But then again we are talking about guys who, more than 3 months after the release of their massively delayed DFM/AC/POS still require users to 1) manually disable SLI and 2) hand-edit XML files if they want to use a TM Warthog. Oh, and nevermind that it controls like crap, walking around in the hangar is vomit-inducing, etc.

Maybe several months of programmer time would be a more realistic estimation for them. I predict TrackIR support sometime in 2016, assuming they don't switch engines.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 10, 2014, 12:18 Tom

Specifically, purchasing a Vizio.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
19. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 9, 2014, 11:50 Tom

{PH}88fingers wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 11:37:
reading some of these comments sounds like they didn't actually even read the article.

Correct, they did not. They just want to "stick it to The Man" no matter what. And anyone who doesn't want to join in on that bashing is the enemy.

Guess what - I hate it when corporate execs screw their employees just as much as you guys! I just think the employees share responsibility for the problem, and recognizing that instead of complaining only about the execs would go a long way towards ultimately solving the problem. Instead of getting screwed, why not make yourself unscrewable? If employees act responsibly, QUIT and AVOID abusive companies like they should, those corporate execs would know that they can't get away with the abusive behavior and it would happen less often.

This is a huge problem with the game industry in particular though. There are too many people who will put up with anything just so they can work on games. Those people are just begging to get screwed. It's their choice and they should be faulted for it.

17. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 9, 2014, 11:28 Tom

Beamer wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 10:36:
It's always amazing when people say things like this, as if you can just magically have a new, comparable job overnight.

Uh huh. And just why is your current job a guaranteed thing? Why is it ok to make that assumption? How is that in any way shape or form being a responsible adult?

Yes, it can take time to find a new job. Could be a long time. This is something you should factor into your plans. Do you people expect companies to have your best interests at the forefront? That's just not the way things work in reality and all the complaining in the world is never going to change that. It's a naive and foolish expectation.

The ONLY person looking out for you is YOU. If you want to be successful, you have to keep your eyes open and watch your own back. It's ok to hope for the best as long as you plan for the worst. To do otherwise is just plain stupid and inconsistent with how things work in the real world.

12. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 9, 2014, 01:11 Tom

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 22:08:
Not paying someone for their work is a theft of their services.

Obviously employers need to pay their employees for work performed. I don't dispute that AT ALL. But when they tell employees they're not going to be able to pay them until some future point or not at all, and the employees decide to stick around and continue working anyway, guess what - that's the deal they agreed to by continuing to work.

This was not a case of missing just one or two paychecks. It was a months-on-end kind of thing. They had plenty of opportunity to quit and find work elsewhere but they chose not to. Their choice, their responsibility. Assuming, anyway, that they weren't misled about the pay being deferred, which doesn't appear to have happened here.

4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 8, 2014, 18:34 Tom

The people who didn't get paid always had the option to quit and find a job somewhere else. But hey, that would take some personal responsibility which is so uncool these days, so let's blame the guys at the top instead! Well good luck finding a job when Crytek is no more, after having badmouthed your company in public. That always goes over real well with prospective employers. Maybe they can become taxi drivers - by all accounts, the game industry sucks to work in anyway.  

News Comments > DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora Open Beta
5. Re: DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora Open Beta Aug 8, 2014, 18:25 Tom

DCS terrain includes Georgia and southern Russia. It does not include Crimea.  

1141 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo