Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1247 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Hitboxes "Being Worked On"
8. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Hitboxes May 22, 2015, 16:40 Tom

Watched the GIF, lol. L2P noobs! You think that's bad? Try playing BF4!

Personally I've never had an issue with hitboxes in any flavor of CS, and I've played them all. CS is the gold standard in rock solid FPS as far as I'm concerned.

And it is awesome that it's still going strong after all these years. It's like the chess of computer games. It can't die. But it is a little weird and occasionally distressing to play it with people who weren't even born when we started playing it...

This comment was edited on May 22, 2015, 17:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released
59. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 19:22 Tom

I got this running well at 2560x1440 on my 2x GTX780 SLI setup by turning off vsync and the frame limit in the game settings, and forcing adaptive vsync in the NVIDIA driver settings. It made a world of difference. Of course, I had to turn down/off a few settings like HairWorks (wtf?) but for the most part, I can maintain 60 fps with just about everything at high or max. When it dips below that it does so in a reasonable way.

Seems like a good game so far! Looking forward to spending some real time with it over the weekend.

News Comments > Open Source MAME
13. Re: Open Source MAME May 16, 2015, 23:05 Tom

Bubble Bobble rocked. I can still remember every note of the main music from that game...  

News Comments > Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter
9. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 5, 2015, 21:05 Tom

Hmm they've made some recent comments on there about SP:

@CatInSpace: Welcome back pilot ;-) Singleplayer is in our stretch goals :-) Thanks for the Support! /Bozar

Hey @Mike L Singleplayer is awesome, but also costly. Check out our stretch goals. Itís great to have you on board :-), Thanks! /Bozar

And an FAQ entry:

Are you going to have singleplayer/story content?

We hope so! We have some stretch goals that have story and narrative elements that we're extremely excited about. We hope you'll be excited too.

That said, we want to make sure that we have the runway to make a great game at its core and that happens through PvP multiplayer. If we can build a great foundation via Multiplayer and then lay a singleplayer or co-op story on top of that, we'll be able to pair great gameplay with great story the way that so many of the X-Wing games did.

News Comments > Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter
7. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 5, 2015, 20:38 Tom

Yep, the world definitely needs more quality SP space sims. More being more than zero. Er, I mean one. There's Squadron 42, right? Geez that had better not suck.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black May 4, 2015, 21:14 Tom

He was great in Spaceballs!  

News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
52. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 1, 2015, 18:57 Tom

The reaction is generally "meh" because tech demos are rarely made to legitimately and honestly demonstrate the merits of whatever new technology being advertised. They're super fluffy affairs where someone points at a screen and says "GRAPHICS GOOD!", spouts some big numbers, and asks you to take it on faith that the demo proves how much better API X is than API X-1.

I could make something totally awesome with DX9 and show you a comparison between it and a ho-hum DX11 game, tell you the APIs are opposite of what they are, and you'd believe it. Therefore tech demos have little to no value when it comes to demonstrating the superiority of an API iteration.

It IS possible to make a tech demo that targets old and new APIs, really pushing each one as hard as humanly possible, and demonstrates it in a way that can be visually understood. But that's a lot of unsexy work. Probably the closest we ever get is with benchmarks like 3DMark.

News Comments > Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods
6. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 19:07 Tom

Hey, if modders want to build on top of someone else's hard work and IP and get paid for it, they're going to have to pay the price. If they don't like it, they can make their own thing. It's that simple.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Solitaire Apr 24, 2015, 18:57 Tom

Thanks for sharing your experience. There have been little glimmers of hope here and there that they've learned from these idiotic failures and things will be better in the future. Have they had enough of a boot to the head yet to stop screwing around and look at things from the customer's perspective even just a little bit? I wouldn't bet on it. A world without Microsoft is more imaginable than ever.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month
32. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 24, 2015, 18:52 Tom

Going through the learning curve was fun. Space trucking was fun for maybe 10-20 hours. Combat has always been seriously lacking in purpose. I'm not really the "make your own fun!" type. I need either a story or a mission system with a little depth to it. Some kind of structure. Everything combat-related has just been way too samey and pointless so far. The community goals were a tiny step in the right direction.

It's too bad because they did such a good job of creating an exciting "you are flying a ship" feeling. Then they just failed to create much of a reason to do it.

The missions in the Wing Commander games were extremely basic but they were still 1000x more interesting than the procedural crap in Elite. The missions in Tie Fighter were exquisitely crafted and that's the kind of stuff that would be a home run in Elite. They have the engine. They just need to hire some !@#$ing mission designers and get cracking.

Maybe I just need to wait for another game. Elite is not that type of game. But it's still frustrating because they're SO CLOSE.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2015, 19:27 Tom

I also feel like separate devices are better for this sort of thing. I've had good success with the Amazon Fire TV stick. It was a great bargain for $19. Yeah I've had a few minor issues but for the most part it works very well. I gladly use it for YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon Prime video. I still have to get the computer involved for locally stored videos and games I want to play on the TV.

And a couple years down the road, when this device is no longer viable because Google screws it up or something, all I have to do is get a newer one like it to plug into the TV. The monetary investment is practically nonexistent.

Keep the TV's job simple and life is good. Once you go down the "smart" path, all kinds of problems become possible. Security, obsolescence, just plain bugs and poorly functioning stuff, etc. My TV is a display. That's all I need it to be.

News Comments > Dances with Witchers
6. Re: Dances with Witchers Apr 21, 2015, 23:41 Tom

Yeah, hearing his voice, it's hard to not think of Tywin. Seems weird to see it paired up with some character in the game. But it'll probably work better when I'm actually playing instead of watching a little hype video.

I just hope it's not another Oblivion + Patrick Stewart deal.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm in June
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm in June Apr 20, 2015, 21:36 Tom

See, that's what my first impression of the game was too, but I gave it a chance and discovered there's actually a lot of skill involved. With all the focus on objectives and camps, timing is very important, yet having people in lane to pick up XP is also important. There are conflicting goals that force you to strike a balance. And the fast-rising death times mean that teamfights and staying in sync becomes important quickly.

Item buying is mostly replaced by skill selection. With careful selection of skills, you can make your hero more tanky or do more damage, or go for some special makeup. It's not as deep as items but it gets the same basic job done and it's a lot more streamlined.

Last hitting is just tiresome micromanagement IMO. Sure, it's highly skill based, but I'd bet it's more irritating than fun for most people. I give Blizzard credit for having the courage to dump it. (My perspective on this is purely LoL-based but I hear it's worse in DOTA2.)

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm in June
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm in June Apr 20, 2015, 20:22 Tom

I've been really enjoying this game in closed beta. As a long-time heavy LoL player, I was initially skeptical but the game won me over. It's a different experience but it's fun, maybe more fun (definitely less stressful) than LoL, and Blizzard sure knows how to polish stuff. It doesn't feel too grindy either. I haven't given them a dime yet and I've bought enough heroes to do ranked play.  

News Comments > EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games
8. Re: EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games Apr 16, 2015, 01:45 Tom

Hardline was way overpriced IMO. Wrong strategy. EA got super greedy with this title. I think it would've done a lot better at a $20-30 price point instead of $50-70, given that it's easily seen as more of a modded BF4 than its own unique game. At least, those who see it that way will be expecting the price to drop substantially and will just wait until that happens. That's where I'm at with it, anyway. But if enough time passes, I probably won't have much desire to pick it up even at a drastically lowered price.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 12, 2015, 23:17 Tom

IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Apr 12, 2015, 21:58:
Also what the fuck crack are people smoking that bitch about TWC Internet? I have been on the service for a year now and they ALWAYS give me higher speeds than the line is rated for and there has not been ONE SECOND of downtime the entire damned year.
Translation: ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

Has it ever occurred to you that not everyone has been as lucky as you? Can you grasp the idea that TWC service varies from area to area, and even installation to installation? I know it's hard to imagine, but maybe try a little.

I'm sure TWC and their ilk would love for everyone to believe that everything runs perfectly smoothly for all of their customers. They may appreciate your outlook but as a TWC customer who has been less fortunate than you, I certainly do not.

News Comments > GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs
15. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 8, 2015, 20:27 Tom

Optical drives are dead. Relic of the pre-wired past. Now it's all about downloads, streaming, cloud this and that. Can't download 60GB? Sure you can. Have some patience. Pay your ISP more. Move to a civilized area. Or don't. You can always play something else.

Personally I think the huge downloads and patches these days are useful to highlight the injustice and inadequacy of unreasonable caps that ISPs want to impose, or are already imposing, in areas where people have few choices of provider. Areas that are otherwise worth inhabiting. Mostly, anyway.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Apr 6, 2015, 19:27 Tom

I just saw Interstellar for the first time this past weekend (absolutely brilliantly made movie!) and was thinking the same thing about ED. Maybe it's coming in the future. They do seem quite interested in the visual appearance of astronomical phenomena.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
18. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 30, 2015, 21:20 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 21:08:
QA is time consuming and complex for games like these.

QA is time consuming and complex for practically all games. Getting it done is primarily a matter of discipline.

I am a little curious if this bug, and the cursor trapping one, were present during the backer beta phase, or if they managed to introduce these near the end.

In any case, the game has been solid for me and delightfully deep with a great vibe. I also appreciate a lot of quality text in my games and this one delivers on that front like no other.

News Comments > Valve's HTC Vive Free for Developers
25. Re: Valve's HTC Vive Free for Developers Mar 27, 2015, 17:39 Tom

Before I got a DK2, I spent a long time wondering about VR. Now that I have one and have spent a significant amount of time trying all kinds of different things on it, I can assure the skeptics that VR is undoubtedly going to be extremely popular among gamers. Vehicle simulations are the very obvious win. I will NEVER race on a TV/monitor again, and when the resolution is there the same will be true for flight and space sims. TrackIR will be dead to me.

But there are many more types of games that work well in VR. There are challenges to overcome, but they will be overcome. And in less time than you expect, VR will spread to non-gamers for non-gaming applications. For example, watching movies, exploring Street View, doing VR chat with head/body tracking. I've done all these things with the DK2. They're amazing now and will be even more amazing when the hardware and supporting software improves. And this is just scratching the surface.

Anyway, this is not some VR fanboy pipedream. It will happen. Mark my words. If you were a PC gamer in the 1990's you probably remember the dawn of 3D hardware acceleration with GLQuake and Glide. That's roughly where we're at right now with VR. That technology exploded, and VR will explode similarly.

1247 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo