Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1183 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Nov 16, 2014, 23:03 Tom

It really is incredibly difficult to get good writers eh? They must be one of the most scarce resources on the planet.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
166. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 23:01 Tom

Braben is altering the deal. Pray he doesn't alter it any further.  

59. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:36 Tom

Prez wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:32:
Remember when the original Elite forced you to be online and play with other jackholes you didn't want to? Yeah, me neither.

You don't understand what online-only means in this game. If you choose "Solo" mode you will never see another human in the universe. Only AI. It feels pretty much exactly what an offline mode would be like, except you can't cheat as easily, commodity prices are probably affected by the trading of other players, and you will have a bad time if there are connection or server problems.

56. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:32 Tom

Ah, I see the Blue's News drama queens are out in force in this thread.

Always-online is the least of this game's problems. The real controversy will be when the game launches next month before it's ready. And I don't mean ready as in satisfy all the crazed KS donors who feel like they're entitled to everything under the sun because they deigned to kick in their $30 or whatever. I mean ready as in have a stable, fun, and balanced game that won't get killed by reviewers.

But it'll get there eventually (mid 2015?) as long as Braben and his team persevere. Until then... *popcorn*

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
23. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 21:57 Tom

This game has a well above average "you'd have to be crazy to buy this at launch" quotient. I'm more than happy waiting until it's deeply discounted and only then picking it up if it's proven to be a solid game.  

News Comments > Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale
7. Re: Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale Nov 12, 2014, 23:44 Tom

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 21:57:
Crossed my mind, but the game sounds like work to me. Aren't you just closely studying things, looking for discrepancies?
This is the classic misunderstanding of this game. It's like looking at a Mafia front and saying "oh that's just an ordinary bakery, right?"

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on December 16
33. Re: Elite: Dangerous on December 16 Nov 7, 2014, 18:50 Tom

Harrowing wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 17:53:
Oh come on man... are we playing the same game?
You are way over-dramatizing the bugs. Sure some are there but nowhere near as dramatic as you make it sound.
The main problem is the network code, Frontier mentioned that this was their biggest challenge, but that's been heavily improved in the latest patches.
I used to have a hell of a lot more problems than I have now.

2-3 hour long sessions with the DK2 and just minimal bugs here and there. Nothing game breaking other than the occasional network strangyness.

Some things have gotten better since earlier versions but a lot has gotten worse too. All of the problems I mentioned are there in beta 3 and will be serious problems if they exist in the release version. Do you disagree with any of that? Now consider that we are 5 weeks away from release. Do you really see all that stuff getting fixed in the next 5 weeks with only 2 of those weeks involving testing of a new build by the community?

Fans may be willing to overlook these kinds of problems but reviewers won't.

This game is being rushed out the door due to financial/business reasons, and it may end up suffering long term as a result. It's sad because crowdfunding is supposed to prevent this kind of problem - the evil publisher forcing the game out before it's ready. But it happened here anyway even though there's no publisher involved.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on December 16
29. Re: Elite: Dangerous on December 16 Nov 7, 2014, 17:32 Tom

Beta 3 is very rough around the edges and missing lots of promised functionality. It still crashes reasonably often, has major pausing during supercruise, absolutely terrible P2P netcode that is probably fundamentally flawed beyond repair, co-op play non-existent, balance of everything all out of whack, DK2 support promising but still glitchy, and there are just generally bugs all over the place.

Mark my words, the "release" version will get raked over the coals for its flaws. Then, one of two things will happen: Frontier will massively scale back development and put out little token updates here and there, OR they will keep on pushing full steam ahead to come up with the game that should've been there for what they called "release".

But even with its many flaws, I'd still take this over Star Citizen anytime! Haha. No contest.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 6, 2014, 18:18 Tom

Too bad about Zalman. Until Noctua came along, it was Zalman for many years for me.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous VR Impressions
8. Re: Elite: Dangerous VR Impressions Nov 6, 2014, 18:12 Tom

Ahh.. as usual, writers are falling all over themselves hyping the crap out of VR.

Is it awesome? Yes. Is it so awesome it can't be put into words? No. Three simple words sum it up: "You are there." Sure, people won't truly understand until they try it, but that is the essence of it.

DK2 is low-res with screen door but that doesn't matter much. It's easy to get used to, and the UI in Elite is good enough to be playable in the Rift. Unfortunately the gameplay is just not ready, otherwise I'd be playing the crap out of this game right now. It's gonna be a real stretch for them to launch in 2014 like they plan. We'll see though.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Documentary
15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 4, 2014, 00:14 Tom

Quboid wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 21:28:
How easy is it to identify ships with the DK2? With the DK1 in a flight sim, other aircraft were just pixelly blobs.
In Elite: Dangerous it's pretty easy to see ships with the DK2. Your HUD and radar help you out quite a bit. In a flight sim like DCS it can be pretty hard, although I've spotted planes in multiplayer with no labels while flying the P-51D with no HUD. You mainly just look for the one or two pixels that stick out and have some movement that is different from the background at first. As you get closer it's not so bad.

Close-in dogfighting is great with the DK2. It feels so easy and natural to keep your eyes on your target as you maneuver into firing position. It's less intuitive to do this with TrackIR, and kind of uncomfortable having to look sideways at your monitor a lot of the time, but it can also be uncomfortable turning your head way to the side with the DK2, or trying to look behind you. Headtracking with the Rift is more realistic but it can be hard on your neck, especially if you're not careful and try to turn too quickly.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Documentary
10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 3, 2014, 20:01 Tom

There really is a lot to like about this game. The feeling of flight is fantastic. I just hope they can work out the bugs. Sticking to a 2014 release date seems like a REALLY BAD IDEA given its current state, but oh well, if they keep working hard post-release to fix not only systems bugs but also gameplay, it might work out ok.

I've played many hours of this, first with TrackIR, then with the Oculus Rift DK2. Some sort of headtracking is pretty much mandatory if you want the full experience. TrackIR and the Rift each have their pros and cons right now, but overall the Rift is so much cooler to use. You feel like you're in that ship. Once the Rift has better resolution and the game supports it fully (e.g. mouse in the galaxy map) it will absolutely bury TrackIR. Already I don't use TrackIR anymore unless I'm learning a new aircraft in DCS and need a clearer picture of controls I haven't memorized yet without having to jam my head against the instrument panel.

As for VoiceAttack ... hah! What a gimmick. Pretty much every commonly used command (and some uncommon ones) should be available for instant access via your HOTAS, a far quicker and more reliable means of controlling your ship. The beginning of their first demo video (I didn't watch the rest) is truly laughable to any experienced Elite: Dangerous player. That said, there are a few non-time-critical things that could maybe be useful as voice input if you want to forgo some of the control and immersion of using the ship's UI for the sake of convenience, like "Request docking" to execute a macro that takes care of a whole sequence of commands needed to do that.

News Comments > Trove Open Beta Next Week
3. Re: Trove Open Beta Next Week Oct 31, 2014, 17:47 Tom

I enjoyed Cube World and was sad when the guy took the money and ran.

Trove came out of nowhere for me. Saw a friend playing it a few days ago, joined him within minutes, and it was just a really great first impression. Played more later on and it was still fun.

I really like how the core game design is set up so that inhabiting the same world as other random strangers is actually a benefit instead of a drawback. Anyone kills a monster nearby? Everyone gets the xp and loot. Anyone mines something? Everyone gets the thing that got mined, as if they had mined it themselves with no reduction or splitting. And you don't even need to bother with some grouping mechanism. It's so refreshing.

The gardening and creation aspects seem very promising too. Of course, I'm only a few hours into the game, so maybe it'll turn out to have no longevity whatsoever, but so far I'm really happy with it.

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Plans?
7. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Plans? Oct 28, 2014, 00:36 Tom

I enjoyed the first one on PS3, great art style and the gameplay was pretty unique (to me at least) and solidly executed. High production values all around. At least, the Japanese version had excellent voice acting as one would expect. Can't speak to the English one.

Sadly the game got pretty tough and I wussed out, but I always kinda hoped I'd man up and finish it someday.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2014, 13:32 Tom

You can always tell it's a British tabloid by the selective use of all-caps in the headline.  

News Comments > Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition Demo
2. Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition Demo Oct 25, 2014, 13:17 Tom

I just played for a couple hours and it's quite impressive. Great high-res, high-detail graphics and the 3D characters and animations are nicely done. The original game's soundtrack was one of the best and the new arrangements of it are excellent. The voices are good too, and I'm really picky about that. Solid implementation of the mechanics. Fun to look through the journal at various locations for the developer commentary. Overall appears to be an exemplary remake.

I'm not sure what the demo restrictions are exactly. I never ran into a boundary where it was like "ok, can't play anymore, you need to buy now". It just kind of quietly resisted any attempts to actually save the game or let me continue where I'd left off. That may actually be the only restriction. It's an effective enough one, it would just be nice to know that going in.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
13. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 21, 2014, 18:16 Tom

There was some very interesting stuff about the Amiga's development in Brian Bagnall's book "On the Edge: the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore". Unfortunately, according to Amazon reviews, the second edition of the same book, re-titled "Commodore: A Company on the Edge", omits the Amiga content in favor of another yet-to-be-published book, "Commodore: The Amiga Years". That book was in the works but then shelved indefinitely last year. Oh well.  

News Comments > I am Bread Trailer
9. Re: I am Bread Trailer Oct 20, 2014, 19:00 Tom

Methinks that piece of bread ain't the only thing on "a quest to become toasted."  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2014, 19:07 Tom

Geez Ars, I thought you were better than that.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2014, 20:20 Tom

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:18:
Yay, 2 Symantecs. What will they be called? "Shit" and "Worthless?"
You're far too kind.

1183 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo