Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1376 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 9, 2016, 20:33 Tom

lol @ the VR skeptics. Have any of you even tried a DK2? There's no going back to a monitor / TrackIR setup once you've made the leap to VR. I'll never race or fly on a flat screen again. And I'm looking forward to doing plenty of other stuff in VR beyond sims.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2016, 15:44 Tom

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 15:28:
Tom wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 15:26:
I've used scroll lock as a mute toggle for voice communications for the past 14 years or so. If the light is on, I'm muted. Very handy.

How you reach it in a mouse driven game? (most people can not reach numlock with left arm while using a mouse without moving entire body...)
I take my hand off the mouse to press it. I generally don't have myself muted, as I use voice activity detection. So toggling mute status is a fairly infrequent event. There's usually some other mouse-interrupting event going on like food / phone / fire alarm / etc.

Another trick I do is, while I'm muted, I can use another key (usually the right control key) to temporarily break the mute and act as push-to-talk. So I can effectively switch between PTT and VAD at any time by toggling mute with scroll lock. But I use VAD almost all the time anyway.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2016, 15:26 Tom

I've used scroll lock as a mute toggle for voice communications for the past 14 years or so. If the light is on, I'm muted. Very handy.  

News Comments > Life is Strange Adds Free Commentary DLC
3. Re: Life is Strange Adds Free Commentary DLC Jan 20, 2016, 22:46 Tom

I still need to finish this. But the first 4 episodes have been good! Love the atmosphere. This is one of the only games I ever go out of my way to play using surround sound speakers. Brilliant audio.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2016, 22:35 Tom

Interesting. This company is headed by Brendan Eich, creator of JavaScript and disgraced former CEO of Mozilla.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 18:56 Tom

Laptops have always been about compromising in every other area in order to get portability. If portability is that important to you, then great. Do it. But if you're one of those people who uses a laptop in the same physical location 95% of the time, sorry, that's just dumb.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 4, 2016, 21:56 Tom

I read that headline as "artificially intelligent butter."

So disappointed to find out the truth.

News Comments > Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift
5. Re: Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift Jan 1, 2016, 16:39 Tom

It seems everyone is skeptical about this game until they try it, then they love it. Palmer Luckey is no fool. He wouldn't bundle it just because they named it Lucky's Tale. Right?

I haven't played this particular game and I am kind of skeptical about it, but I can recognize that it's probably something a large number of people would enjoy. I've been pleasantly surprised by other stuff in VR. The whole "third person in VR" thing really does work. But it's hard to understand before trying it - kind of like VR in general, but even more so. So it might take some extra time for this sort of thing to become popular.

News Comments > Red5 Misses Payroll
12. Re: Red5 Misses Payroll Dec 29, 2015, 01:31 Tom

Rigs wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 20:26:
These people worked the hours, now pay up! (WHERE'S MY MONEY?!?) And if not, there better be a big fucking bonus when you slimey bastards DO finally pay! You can't even begin to possibly tell me they didn't see this coming like a month or two or six in advance?! BULL-SHIT!
Ok, so you thought the suits could see it coming but the employees couldn't? Or is it that you don't think employees have any responsibility to find another job on their own when they know their current place is circling the drain?

Employment is a two-way street with rights and responsibilities on both ends. Pretending otherwise is counter-productive.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access
12. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 15, 2015, 23:51 Tom

Uh, nobody's getting anything for free here. We just paid for it already.  

News Comments > DICE Starting "The Next Battlefield"
4. Re: DICE Starting Dec 13, 2015, 13:07 Tom

My vote is for The Sims: Battlefield. Hells yeah!  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Next Year?
20. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Next Year? Dec 8, 2015, 18:36 Tom

I discovered Archive thanks to this game. That was enough for me.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
29. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 6, 2015, 12:46 Tom

Ventura wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 20:40:
I don't really know how to respond to this, because you're writing as if you know what you're talking about, but all I can say is that, for my part (and that of many others whom I've had contact with), it's grossly inaccurate.
Every experience is subjective anyway, so maybe it just wasn't your cup of tea (I'm going to assume you've tried most), but Elite is considered one of the best VR experiences there is. I spent more time in Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Assetto Corsa way back when, but more recently I've gotten back into Elite again, and the immersion is astonishing. I wouldn't lie and pretend I'd still be playing if VR support was dropped, but isn't that just another compliment?

But if, as you say, it's hardly the best, or that it's just "moderately good" (or even poor), then please, feel free to elaborate on what you feel is so much better.

It's not a matter of it not being my cup of tea, or some subjective thing. I'm talking about Elite being firmly in the "Notable Exceptions" section of this list. Having to use an obsolete runtime and extended mode is a poor experience by itself. Then there are issues like this where Frontier is clearly not testing/playing the game with VR themselves. It gives me the impression they're just in it for the money, they don't really have a clue about VR, and yet they have the hubris to characterize their work as "only the best VR experience out there"? Come on. Seriously?

I played Elite in VR in the early days of DK2 when it was more commonplace and accepted to have to jump through various hoops with extended mode and such. At the time, compared to other things, it was a good experience but certainly not the best. Aside from the cool factor of the menus that pop up when you turn your head in the cockpit, it felt like the VR support was largely tacked on to check a box, rather than being something they really cared about.

Later on, all the insincere explanations from Frontier about Oculus vs. Vive support really rubbed me the wrong way. They love to make grandiose claims and pretend everything is great when it's really just crap. VR support strikes me as just another one of those things like netcode (P2P), role balancing, background simulation, Powerplay, CQC, etc. It's all half-baked to an extreme. And yet the potential is so clearly there, which is what makes it so frustrating. And this trend doesn't show any sign of changing with planetary landings...

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
7. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 5, 2015, 12:44 Tom

Elite "only the best VR experience out there"??!! Ha! Ridiculous. It was one of the first, but hardly the best. I'd say it's varied wildly throughout its lifetime from completely unusable to moderately good on the DK2, with the last several months being stuck firmly at poor. To be fair, other developers have also struggled mightily with VR, but some have done an excellent job all along - like the folks behind Euro Truck Simulator 2, and the guy that makes FlyInside FSX.

It will be interesting to see how Elite stacks up against other games when it comes to system requirements once consumer VR headsets are out. It's too bad the only real competition seems to be Star Citizen. This could easily end up being the Special Olympics of VR support for space sims.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 25, 2015, 13:16 Tom

SmartScreen makes it more difficult for people to download software from outside of Microsoft's app store where Microsoft takes a cut of all proceeds.  

News Comments > Star Control Founder's Program
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2015, 23:31 Tom

May we all be *happy campers* when this comes out. Stardock had better not be *silly cows* and make us *frumple*.  

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up
19. Re: Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up Nov 19, 2015, 19:57 Tom

I'm not wanting to be playing "at 12:01 on launch". But I expect to get a working key within a day, at least. So far they sent me an invalid key a day after launch. Then the day after that they told me "ok it should work now" and of course it doesn't. So it looks like I won't be playing until at least 3 days after launch. Meanwhile my friends who ordered direct from Origin are playing without me.

I bought two games before this on GMG but I will NEVER do business with them again after this.

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up
4. Re: Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up Nov 18, 2015, 20:18 Tom

GMG totally screwed up the Battlefront pre-order. Tons of people got keys late, and then those keys didn't even work. Now people are waiting for GMG customer service to do something about it. And of course there are still plenty of people reporting they haven't even got keys at all yet.

DO NOT trust these guys with a pre-order. Personally, I won't be doing business with them again. This was not worth it to save $15. Can't play with my friend for a second night. I should've just ordered direct from Origin.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
61. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 18, 2015, 00:02 Tom

Total-Khaos wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 18:34:
Perhaps you missed yesterday's news.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/166892/green-man-gaming-defends-key-sources
Nope, didn't miss it. In fact that's how I knew GMG was authorized to sell EA games. The reddit mods who banned them said so.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
55. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 17, 2015, 17:51 Tom

I went into the beta with low expectations and found it surprisingly fun. Beautiful graphics and high production values all around. Worth $60? Not sure about that. But a friend wanted to play together, so I pre-ordered it from Green Man Gaming for $45.

OOPS. Despite their insistence that they're an authorized EA reseller, GMG somehow "ran out" of keys. They sent an email yesterday morning saying some folks won't get their keys until after the release. I'm one of those folks.

WTF? If you're an authorized EA reseller don't you get your keys from them? How the !@#$ do you run out? Why can't you just get more, ahead of time, not days after the launch? Is this EA trying to punish gamers for being cheap and ordering through a third party to save $15?

Anyway, lesson learned. Don't pre-order anything from GMG.

Maybe I can watch my friend's stream tonight as he's playing it without me. If the servers even hold up.

1376 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo