Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1285 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Bashiok Leaving Blizzard
7. Re: Bashiok Leaving Blizzard Aug 1, 2015, 21:17 Tom

Have you guys ever seen what the offices are like at Blizzard?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 30, 2015, 23:57 Tom

So, because you had a good experience with them, it's weird that other people didn't?

The highest speed available here was - and still is - 50Mbps. When my 1 year promo ended, they didn't double my speed. But they did more than double the price, and they had the nerve to send me a letter claiming the new deal was a special offer since I was such a good customer. I had to drop to 30Mbps just to end up paying a little more than I was already paying for 50Mbps before.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 27, 2015, 21:08 Tom

That's an interesting interpretation of that article.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 27, 2015, 19:50 Tom

"The vulnerabilities show that despite OWASP and other organisations publicising secure coding techniques to avoid these common vulnerabilities, even security companies such as Sophos can get it wrong."

Wow, ya think? Sophos is so bad it flagged itself as malware, rendering itself inoperable. Yeah, they can get it wrong alright.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2015, 11:16 Tom

"Whoa. Black Lab is still around? Did they play some song about Quake?"

...opens video...

"Oh."

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 25, 2015, 13:45 Tom

!@#$ing Norton, worse than any virus.  

News Comments > DOOM Multiplayer Beta Plans
1. Re: DOOM Multiplayer Beta Plans Jul 23, 2015, 19:12 Tom

Eh, what is this nonsense. I played DOOM multiplayer back in the mid 90s. Over a serial port, then a dialup modem, and finally a LAN. Worked great.

I tried to check Bethesda's site but it seems obsessed with asking for my age and then my country and age.

News Comments > KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added
13. Re: KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added Jul 21, 2015, 20:22 Tom

Would there really be a KOTOR3 after the SWTOR debacle? I wonder.

Remember all that hype before release about SWTOR being just as good as KOTOR if you wanted to just play it as a single player game? *sigh*

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 19, 2015, 17:35 Tom

Rocket League is awesome. Same basic idea as Carball (which I played back then) but the execution is top notch. Very polished and fun, with more depth. I've had a blast playing it with teams of friends on voice vs. opposing teams of randoms, some of the same friends I played Carball with.

Only real trouble at the moment is that the servers are flaky sometimes. When lag happens, it can be very severe with the cars and ball stuttering or rubberbanding like crazy. They're still working on handling the demand, it seems. It's worked well more often than not so far though. So much fun.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 18, 2015, 09:12 Tom

The 3D open world where you had the feeling that you could go anywhere, talk to anyone, interact with all kinds of objects, do all kinds of mini-games that were actually well-integrated with the world (physically and gameplay-wise) ... it was quite remarkable back in those early days of the Dreamcast - which itself had a certain magic to it. It was extremely immersive compared to other games.

The uncommon setting (1980's real Japan/Hong Kong/China!), plot, characters, and music were also pretty awesome.

And it was set up on a chapter-by-chapter basis and never finished. That right there is going to leave anyone invested thirsting for completion of the story. The first two games were a really slow build up and at the end of the second one you felt like you were finally getting somewhere ... then it was over.

The Yakuza games have kind of picked up where Shenmue left off. They have a lot of the same elements as Shenmue. Unfortunately you get the sad feeling that they had to make them really violent, edgy, and even Western in a sense in order to sell, and that's not what Shenmue was about.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 15, 2015, 23:31 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 18:40:
It's disgusting to use public funds for something that benefits a few wealthy people.
Yeah, really. That's what we have wars for.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
26. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 21:06 Tom

Actually, you're playing into their hands. This is just more free publicity for them. Anything for attention! That's how it works on the Internet.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 14, 2015, 18:10 Tom

Degenerate punks. They should be banned for life.  

News Comments > Trove Launches
3. Re: Trove Launches Jul 10, 2015, 17:29 Tom

I played a fair amount during the beta. It's fun but kind of shallow. A lighthearted combat-focused voxel adventure game with RPG-lite etc etc. When I was first playing it, I was like "this is great! they really focused on just making it fun". But after a while I was like "why am I coming back to this game again?"

To some extent this phenomena tends to exist for just about all games. But I felt it was especially strong with Trove.

Of course, maybe it's different now. I haven't played in months.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2015, 18:03 Tom

Microsoft has been in decline for many years. Nadella is just the latest leader who seems powerless to turn things around. Things are looking a bit better now than they were a few years ago, but it's still a far cry from what once was.

Even if PCs aren't going anywhere, phones are still very important and shouldn't be underestimated.

I've used Windows Phone since 2011 - first WP7, then WP8 (Lumia 1020), and 8.1. And for the last 2.5 years, I've used Android phones as well - currently a Nexus 5. I use both on a daily basis, with the 1020 as a phone and the Nexus 5 as a wifi-only tablet replacement, basically.

Windows Phone has a pleasant UI that is attractive and efficient - when developers make use of it (I'm looking at you AT&T). And the low-end Lumias have offered outstanding value. $50 for a smartphone that doesn't totally suck? Amazing! However, the OS still falls down on many basic tasks where Microsoft still hasn't put in the hard grunt work to make it solid. The bits related to making phone calls are generally excellent, but the rest is often mediocre. It's mostly gotten better over time but is still lacking. This plus the lack of apps and lack of maturity in apps, plus the lack of respectable flagship hardware, make it deserving of its lackluster reputation and low market share in my opinion.

If I could get an affordable but powerful Android phone that had a high quality camera, I'd probably say goodbye to Windows Phone. Android has some other issues but I think the 1020's camera and build quality are the only things that really keep me on Windows Phone. My Nexus 5 is superior in just about every other way. I mean, just try doing some web browsing on both. Night and day...

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
101. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 23:06 Tom

Kosumo wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:49:
Sorry to tell you, but when this crashes, Derek is goning to buy the bones dirt cheap and make HIS BDSSE !!! Mwahaha
You're a very bad man.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office
13. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 6, 2015, 20:03 Tom

peteham wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 18:59:
Perhaps a bit early to judge Star Citizen thus. And unlike 3DR, CIG doesn't have the trickle of cash from former glories to keep the skeleton crew running for the decade required to rival DNF's development (the people buying ships can't be that stupid, surely).
Yes, yes they can be.
peteham wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 18:59:
I wonder how they're paying their employees? They're surely well past 200 people by now. Low-Minimum wage and promise of percentages on delivery, surely. But Germany isn't exactly a low-cost country.
See above.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office
2. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 6, 2015, 17:57 Tom

The sooner it all falls apart, the better, I say.

Best case outcome is someone else with much more modest and/or conventional funding comes along and makes a hugely popular space sim that blows away Star Citizen AND Elite. If this happens before SC falls apart, even better.

News Comments > Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week
4. Re: Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week Jul 6, 2015, 17:54 Tom

I've been using an inventory hack that gives me 9999 max weight or something. The game was just a lot less tedious once I stopped caring about inventory weight. Guessing that's going to stop working with this patch, but maybe the fixes will make it no longer as necessary.

Also interested in that alternate movement scheme. I'm pretty used to how Geralt handles at this point, but improvements are always welcome.

News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
5. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 6, 2015, 17:50 Tom

There's nothing sad or unexpected about this. Proprietary, single-vendor APIs lead to more standard APIs. That's the natural, logical, and just outcome when the problem that needs to be solved is a worthy one and people care about supporting products from multiple vendors.  

1285 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo