Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1200 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2014, 10:54 Tom

HLVR is cool but the Hydra sucks. At least, mine never really worked properly. I don't know if it was defective or fundamentally flawed, but I'm far from the only one who's had major trouble with it registering the correct orientation.

I was at least able to experience the potential of HLVR. Chucking grenades naturally feels great. And holding and aiming guns. This stuff will be much better once more reliable devices than the Hydra are available. I'm looking at STEM and whatever Nimble VR develops now that they're joining Oculus.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
40. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 23:01 Tom

I picked up The Long Dark in a previous sale - it's cool even in just the sandbox mode. I'm really looking forward to the story mode. These folks know what they're doing and care about making a quality game.  

News Comments > Vox Machinae VR Demo
9. Re: Vox Machinae VR Demo Dec 16, 2014, 06:55 Tom

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 05:16:
Ok I just pored over their website and the features of this upcoming game. I cant test the demo since I dont have a DK2 (TrackIR FTW). I have a few questions, perhaps those who are following the game's progress could help me out.

Will the game work without an Oculus once its released?

You turn your head in order to aim, so it could work with TrackIR I think, but you'd definitely need some sort of headtracking. This game is built for VR though. It would be a lesser experience on a monitor.

8. Re: Vox Machinae VR Demo Dec 16, 2014, 06:53 Tom

Wildone wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 23:44:
Agreed!

So what happens after, can you still find the 'missing friendly'? I didnt look lol

After finding the missing friendly, more dudes show up and you have to blast em! One of em makes a nice entrance too.

3. Re: Vox Machinae VR Demo Dec 15, 2014, 23:26 Tom

Yeah, insta-buy for sure. Just tried it and wow, fantastic! Some serious MechWarrior 2 vibes. I had hoped this would be good but it really exceeded my expectations. Aside from the obvious "this is awesome in VR", they put some real work into the movement of the mechs. The positional and system damage is great. The voice, music, atmosphere, graphical style, controls, man. There wasn't a single thing not to like.

Can't wait for the full game!!!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 4 "on Hold"
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 4 Dec 15, 2014, 21:47 Tom

Actions speak louder than words.  

News Comments > Vox Machinae Announced
2. Re: Vox Machinae Announced Dec 12, 2014, 11:53 Tom

Trying not to get my hopes up but it's tough! In any case, it oughta be just a matter of time until someone makes a good mech game with VR support. It's such a good fit.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer
13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 00:05 Tom

Hmph. This Gamma 2 version broke the TrackIR support. The game is now unplayable due to the view being lagged to hell, like they're applying some sort of smoothing to your head movement. They made a similar mistake in a previous beta release. When will developers learn that you can't screw with people's head movement? I'll try the game again once they fix this...  

10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 10, 2014, 23:25 Tom

lol... brilliant video.  

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 10, 2014, 22:06 Tom

They had some good trailers a while ago that actually showed real gameplay and made it look good. This trailer is just over the top stupid action. Well, if it makes em feel AAA, so be it...

Time to fire up gamma 2 and see what's new.

Gamma is just beta btw, and release will be beta too. Expect a release-like level of completeness/stability around mid-2015 if they keep the dev team reasonably staffed.

News Comments > Flight Simulator X Lands on Steam Next Week
14. Re: Flight Simulator X Lands on Steam Next Week Dec 10, 2014, 18:07 Tom

Cost and licensing issues aside, is there any reason to do FSX instead of Prepar3d if you have a reasonably powerful PC?

(I know the cost and licensing issues are substantial, I'm just curious how the two stack up aside from that.)

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Dec 8, 2014, 17:53 Tom

Creston wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 15:41:
I'm not worried about them fitting, I'm worried about being unable to focus on the screen because of astigmatism.
Except your eyes don't focus on the screen with the Oculus Rift. They focus off in the distance or up close depending on what you're looking at, just like in the real world. Common misconception.

Even given that explanation, I was also worried that somehow I wouldn't be able to see through the lenses before I tried the Rift. I can't focus on a screen (cell phone for example) if it's only a few inches from my eyes. My vision is a little better in one eye than the other. And I was never able to do that "is the apple on the table" eye test as a child. But I did ok with 3D movies in the theater.

Anyway I got the DK2 and quickly realized that the claim is true. Seeing in the Rift is pretty much the same as seeing in real life. I can be in the Rift for hours and still see fine, return to the real world, still see fine and with no eye fatigue. It works great. Definitely less fatiguing than 3D movies for me.

I don't wear glasses (yet) so I don't know for sure what that's like with the Rift, but I'd expect it to work similarly to seeing in the real world. I can definitely imagine the physical fit being a problem though. The DK2 is not the most comfortable thing to begin with.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 7, 2014, 18:54 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 16:52:
Was hoping Elite would be Skyrim in space. Alas not to be.
Oh yeah. The same 3 voice actors reused for hundreds of utterly soulless NPCs, again. I really wanted that for Elite too. But take heart. I'm sure with Star Citizen's endless cash supply, Chairman Roberts will find a way to make it happen for his game.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 7, 2014, 15:45 Tom

This Skype redesign sucks balls. Trying to force touch UI on non-touch devices. You'd think these morons would've learned after the Windows 8 debacle. But I guess it's their mission in life to piss everyone off and drive away users as much as possible...  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 6, 2014, 21:03 Tom

It would seem that Sony is an easy target.  

News Comments > Dying Light Steep Specs Revealed
10. Re: Dying Light Steep Specs Revealed Dec 4, 2014, 19:40 Tom

I guess all y'all haters are unfamiliar with the concept of scalability. It goes like this:

Game has settings.
Settings control things.
Things that use memory.

Consoles use settings characterized as "low" or perhaps "utter crap".
PCs use settings characterized as "all over the !@#$ing map".

And thusly, 16GB of RAM in your "rig" is laid to waste.

Alternative theory:

Maybe they'll have a 32-bit executable and recommend the extra RAM only to compensate for the "security" software and hundreds of background processes running on a typical PC. Or for disk caching. You can never have too much RAM for disk caching. smartdrv.sys baby, yeah.

News Comments > Steam Broadcasting Beta
3. Re: Steam Broadcasting Beta Dec 2, 2014, 17:56 Tom

Absolutely love the idea, looking forward to trying it out once I can get a friend to update to the beta client.

It'd be great to not have to deal with the hassle of Twitch and just have this work with minimal fuss with any game that works with the Steam overlay, and have it tied to the friends list. Valve could have a huge winner here.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Nov 16, 2014, 23:03 Tom

It really is incredibly difficult to get good writers eh? They must be one of the most scarce resources on the planet.  

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
166. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 23:01 Tom

Braben is altering the deal. Pray he doesn't alter it any further.  

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
59. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:36 Tom

Prez wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:32:
Remember when the original Elite forced you to be online and play with other jackholes you didn't want to? Yeah, me neither.

You don't understand what online-only means in this game. If you choose "Solo" mode you will never see another human in the universe. Only AI. It feels pretty much exactly what an offline mode would be like, except you can't cheat as easily, commodity prices are probably affected by the trading of other players, and you will have a bad time if there are connection or server problems.

1200 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo