Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1264 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
10. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jun 30, 2015, 18:37 Tom

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 18:33:
This is disgusting. Is there any way to get a refund of my $37 through kickstarter?
My thoughts exactly. This is not what I signed up for. It's a disgrace.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 14, 2015, 14:16 Tom

Another article proving that nobody has a clue how VRAM is actually used.  

News Comments > Starbreeze Unveils VR Hardware
2. Re: Starbreeze Unveils VR Hardware Jun 14, 2015, 14:07 Tom

Couple points to consider when it comes to rendering cost here:

1) Usually when people talk about 5K, they mean 5180x2880 which is 14,910,400 pixels. StarVR is only half that: 5180x1440, which is 7,372,800 pixels.

2) With a high FOV, NVIDIA's multi-resolution rendering would cut the rendering cost drastically.

3) SLI in VR is done with 2 GPUs, one for each eye. It seems unclear how 3 GPUs would work. (Assuming the viewer is a human.)

But in any case it sounds like aside from the high FOV, the hardware is pretty so-so anyway. As one would expect.

News Comments > Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO Trailer
10. Re: Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO Trailer Jun 14, 2015, 12:22 Tom

Eh, I don't get the comments about Dirt Rally's physics being good. Maybe compared to previous Dirt games and other arcade crap, but nowhere near the level of RBR, iRacing, AC, even LFS in my opinion.

They also haven't done jack to fix the broken VR support.

The game has potential, but if you buy it in its present state you shouldn't set your expectations too high.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 13, 2015, 20:00 Tom

Information of value is being stolen all the time, regardless of what gets publicized or who happens to be in the White House at the moment.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 10, 2015, 18:05 Tom

Why is it news when MS declares a dividend? Tons of companies do this, it's usually the same or very similar amount, it happens on a recurring basis, really nothing interesting or exciting about it. I don't get it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 18:13 Tom

Looking forward to The Martian. The book was a fun little read. Curious to see how it gets translated to a movie. This little teaser clip was pretty reasonable.

I have to admit I was surprised to see that they cast Dr. Mann and Murph from Interstellar. And Zoe from House of Cards.

Looks like there's a trailer out too. If you haven't read the book, I suggest not watching it. Spoils way too much, as trailers usually do.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 4, 2015, 17:52 Tom

If Google hadn't been such jerks about shoving Google+ down everyone's throats, maybe it would've seen better adoption. I hardly bothered with it mainly because of how annoying they were about trying to force people to use it.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launches
7. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 22:45 Tom

HotS P2W? What are you smoking?  

News Comments > Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for PC Revealed
1. Re: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for PC Revealed Jun 2, 2015, 19:13 Tom

My English translation of the tweet:

At 2015 MSI Computex Gaming Night, "Final Fantasy Type-0 HD" PC version (Steam) was announced KUPO!
Release date etc. will be provided in a following update KUPO~~!

(If you're an FF player you may recall what KUPO is about.)

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jun 2, 2015, 18:49 Tom

RIP Kirill. Truly a brilliant composer. This piece from D:OS really grabbed me and led me to search him out and learn about his work. I never found this lovely rendition of it until now.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 May 31, 2015, 16:11 Tom

Yeah, Witcher 3 definitely puts a hurt on GPUs. When I started running this near max settings at 2560x1440 @ 60 fps with two 780s, I noticed the GPU temps just kept climbing. They would get as far as 86C before I aborted the tests. I ended up having to replace one of my case fans with a 2000RPM one to get enough airflow to stabilize things at 79C. Thank goodness for PWM controlled fan speeds.

If your GPU is not stable under full load, this will be the game to expose it.

The load is lightened considerably if you cap the frame rate to 30 fps, and the game is totally playable like that, but it's just not as nice as the silky smooth 60 fps.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launch Event
4. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launch Event May 29, 2015, 17:35 Tom

Yeah, I held out on principle and waited til Blizzard sent me an invite, even though a couple friends had been playing for months by that point. Not going to pay to play a beta of a F2P.

Anyway it's a fun game and I've never felt like I had to put money in at all, so I haven't. I understand the weakness some people have for skins though. That's fine. If Blizzard wants to set things up so that other people get to fund my gaming experience without me having to do anything, more power to em!

News Comments > Oculus Rift Price Discussed
41. Re: Oculus Rift Price Discussed May 28, 2015, 17:43 Tom

Give me a break. All these whiners will still be mashing F5 on the pre-order like everyone else. Ha!  

News Comments > Evening Patches
4. Re: Evening Patches May 26, 2015, 20:16 Tom

It's pretty mediocre, sadly. Someone got my hopes up and I bought it kind of impulsively. Biggest buyer's remorse I've felt in ages.  

News Comments > Fraudulent ESO Keys Banned
5. Re: Fraudulent ESO Keys Banned May 26, 2015, 20:06 Tom

Julio wrote on May 26, 2015, 18:05:
I like the "Extreme discounting below the published price on our website may be a clue" part. PC gaming is all about extreme discounting - that's Steam's model...
Hence the "may be a clue" part of their statement...?

News Comments > Game Reviews
18. Re: Game Reviews May 23, 2015, 21:47 Tom

I'm 11+ hours into the game now and the combat is very skill-based IMO. If you have no skill, you will get crushed. If you paid attention to what the tutorials tried to teach you and make an effort to fight intelligently, it's extremely manageable. Sidestepping and/or rolling is essential. And not just mashing it at random but at correct times. You also have to manage your position and orientation carefully at all times throughout the battle.

The mouse/keyboard controls are not really that bad, but then I played all the way through Witcher 2 which was similar. It takes some getting used to for sure. If your attitude is just going to be "this doesn't work the way I want it to, therefore it sucks", maybe you should play something simpler - AC perhaps? If you're willing to work with it a little, you'll be rewarded with a challenging and fun game.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Hitboxes "Being Worked On"
8. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Hitboxes May 22, 2015, 16:40 Tom

Watched the GIF, lol. L2P noobs! You think that's bad? Try playing BF4!

Personally I've never had an issue with hitboxes in any flavor of CS, and I've played them all. CS is the gold standard in rock solid FPS as far as I'm concerned.

And it is awesome that it's still going strong after all these years. It's like the chess of computer games. It can't die. But it is a little weird and occasionally distressing to play it with people who weren't even born when we started playing it...

This comment was edited on May 22, 2015, 17:27.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released
59. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 19:22 Tom

I got this running well at 2560x1440 on my 2x GTX780 SLI setup by turning off vsync and the frame limit in the game settings, and forcing adaptive vsync in the NVIDIA driver settings. It made a world of difference. Of course, I had to turn down/off a few settings like HairWorks (wtf?) but for the most part, I can maintain 60 fps with just about everything at high or max. When it dips below that it does so in a reasonable way.

Seems like a good game so far! Looking forward to spending some real time with it over the weekend.

News Comments > Open Source MAME
13. Re: Open Source MAME May 16, 2015, 23:05 Tom

Bubble Bobble rocked. I can still remember every note of the main music from that game...  

1264 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo