Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Despoiler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2008, 15:50
Total Comments 60 (Suspect)
User ID 47617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched
23. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 12:28 Despoiler

The two enjoyable parts of this game are multiplayer and co-op on ultimate badass mode. Co-op on UB at least makes the game somewhat challenging given the complete lack of AI.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
61. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 13:16 Despoiler

The game is cool for a minute and then it gets stupid really quick.

*Spoilers ahead*

The game is glitchy. The videos are true. I've also had rendered cut scenes just skip 5 seconds ahead so you don't know what happened. In your first encounter with an alien it literally spawns right in front of your face. It's not that it's blended into the wall, it just spawns on the wall 6 inches from your face. There isn't even any room for it to be between you and the wall.

Cliche and predictable over and over and over and over. When that cut scene happened chest burster was bursting. Gee I picked up a marine in egg central and didn't expect that. Guess what, the next marine you go looking for just woke up with a hugger on her mouth and it died. Now we are running around together. Why?

Facehuggers now with vocal chords. Seriously, they make sounds like they have a mouth.

Mercenaries. They are supposedly bad ass, but nothing says bad ass like a bright white uniform with a fresh baseball cap. IDK about you, but all the mercs I've ever seen wear black or camo. Also, they are actually bad ass.

Seriously, skip it. It's more Aliens 4 + Aliens vs Predator movies.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta
4. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Jan 30, 2013, 19:20 Despoiler

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 04:24:
mag wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 01:51:
These are also the drivers that are supposed to fix the frame latency thing, aren't they?

indeed.

frame rates may be "slower" in some games but smoothness overall will be significantly better in many cases, if reports on this driver are true.

excellent response from AMD/ATI on this if the numbers hold up =)

Only in 3 games. The re-write to the memory manager isn't in this beta. That is the fix that will reduce frame latency in all games.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Digital Sales Resume
3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Digital Sales Resume Sep 11, 2012, 12:27 Despoiler

They fix these broken events quickly though. There has been like 4+ event fixes issued per patch. Broken quests and events are common for newly released games. I'm just noting the places I can't complete and will go back later.  

News Comments > The Secret World Lead Laid Off
14. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 12:20 Despoiler

Failcom fails again? Who could have seen that coming?  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 18:21 Despoiler

Yakubs wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 17:03:
Despoiler wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:40:
The X hours thing isn't because of the reason you say, it's because the game is easy while you are learning.

Sorry, but hard != good, hard != interesting, hard != depth, necessarily. You seem to have read my post with enough interest to reply to it yet did not bother to understand the underlying point of it.

Is it really a surprise that you found things to like about the game after sinking, what, 50? 100+ hours into it? And you spent this amount of time on a beta version where your characters aren't even saved! Sorry, bud, but the only thing "measurable" is the fact that you're a biased fan.

I'm sure if you ask someone who spent 100+ hours cutting themselves with razor blades, they'd easily be able to tell you all about why they enjoy it. Still a shit thing to spend your time on.

Lol hard is relative. Personally, I do not think of things in terms of hard or easy. It's just a question of how long it takes to master something. Hard vs easy is a defeatist's attitude. You will never be an expert at anything if you put up artificial walls. High skill cap just means you have to practice to master it because there is depth. As I have said, you cannot just do 1,2,3,4 in this game post level 25. You can't do it at all in PvP. You must use the right skills at the right time. You must use your dodge a the correct times. None of those times are static nor are the visual queues the same. I doubt you even noticed that you can trigger combos with your abilities let alone noticed that there are literally hundreds of skill combos you can do with other professions that all have different effects.

No I am not biased, sorry. I've listed my qualifications in a prior post. I could care less if you or anyone else plays. What I cannot allow is FUD posts like yours. I do beta test games because I like to hit my permanent character with a wealth of knowledge and skill. It's just smarter play on top of helping make the game better. Smarter play isn't your strong point so of course you are trying turn a positive into a negative.

You talk about understanding your underlying point, but I've already pointed out that your premises are all false and therefore so is your underlying point. That is how logical arguments work. They teach you that in college FYI. I wonder if you skipped that too because it's too hard?

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:40 Despoiler

Yakubs wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:35:
Despoiler wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:31:
The problem isn't the game it's that you are a low skill cap player. Sorry, but your post is littered with "your doing it wrong" and "that is just plain ignorrant." I'm going to guess you didn't even make it past level 20.

Ad hominem for the loss. And, sorry, but arguments revolving around how it gets better after X hours don't work for me. That's a classic example of selection bias. Of course if you sunk 20 hours into the game over the course of one weekend you're someone who likes it.

Lol ad hominem my arse. The stuff you are saying in your post proves that you are low skill cap and factually uninformed ie ignorant. Those are measurable and as such cannot be ad hominem.

The X hours thing isn't because of the reason you say, it's because the game is easy while you are learning. For example, your comments "this game has a rotation" and "you still are looking at your UI" work from about level 25 on. If you are using a set rotation you are dead. If you are staring at your UI you are dead.

I didn't tackle your individual premises because you have so many that are flat wrong, my counter-post would have been gigantic.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2012, 16:50.

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:31 Despoiler

Yakubs wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:36:
I think people who claim the combat is a massive improvement over WoW and the like are high/delusional. It's very similar. You DO click on your target and use a skill rotation. Yeah, you can dodge around too but, sorry, that's not interesting. That's a twitch mechanic. Yes, there is no dedicated healer which can be good but it doesn't change the fact that you're playing a mini-game revolving around cooldown management where in many cases you spend more time staring at the interface than the game world.

The skill system is lame too. When I hit level 5 and saw that I was now able to pick from a list of 15 skills, I was happy. Then I read the description of each skill and facepalmed. Half of them are clearly useless except MAYBE in rare situations, the other half are simple variations of skills you already have. Every class has like 100 skills and they're all a variation of: Do X damage and/or apply Y status effect.

This ad-hoc party-based system is interesting in theory but in their execution it's kind of dumb. It's not so much an ad-hoc party system, rather it's an ad-hoc ARMY system. An event appears on the map and suddenly you're just a face in the crowd as 100 players all swarm a single giant enemy or a group of enemies and proceed to spam everything they've got.

If "apply Y status effect" skills aren't boring enough, they're even further devalued by the fact that you're debuffing an enemy along with 100 other people. The list of debuffs on each monster is so long you can't even see them all and you certainly have no earthly clue if you contributed anything at all to the fight, beyond the fact that you just spent 5 minutes pounding your keyboard and particle effects were emitted from your avatar.

PvP is standard fare for these games. The only "innovation" is that you're increased to max level and given top-level gear upon joining the fight. Which is terrible because any attachment you had to your character is now completely gone. Now you're just playing a multiplayer action game with classes, like Team Fortress 2 or something, not an MMORPG.

The problem isn't the game it's that you are a low skill cap player. Sorry, but your post is littered with "your doing it wrong" and "that is just plain ignorrant." I'm going to guess you didn't even make it past level 20.

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:18 Despoiler

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:52:
You know, I haven't even touched the RvR stuff yet. Who has? How is it? I'll get in there sooner or later but I've really jut dug exploring the world so far. This is a great game for explorers.

Their RvR, WvW is brilliant. It's basically DAoC evolved. DAoC being the gold standard for conquest based PvP. First, you are fighting against other servers. You are not fighting against other factions on your server. This continues the cooperative theme of this game and solves the faction imbalance issues that plagued games like WoW, WAR, and Aion. Everyone from a solo player, a group, or a zerg guild can contribute. There are objectives for everything. Massive keeps are the goal. They can be upgraded with seige weapons (attackers can also build them), bigger walls, more guards, burning oil, etc. However, to build and maintain that you need supply. Supply caravans leave from supply outposts. Supply outposts can be upgraded like keeps with more supply town guards, supply caravan guards, etc. The caravans can be attacked and killed and the supply camps captured. There are also orbs of power you can capture to further enhance your side with buffs. The reason you do this is a) to compete ladder style vs other servers, but winning means server wide buffs to help everyone. FORTUNE AND GLORY!! As there are different objectives that take different amounts of people to accomplish, the tactical options are infinite. This isn't like WAR where it herds you one of two choke points on every lake. The zones are massive and you can get anywhere. You decide how to best help your side.

Don't think that zergs will rue the day either. Due to the high skill cap in combat, a well coordinated group can take out an inept raid (4 groups) of people. A group can choke supply. Even solo you can take over an un-upgraded supply camp. There are also soloable objectives although I haven't checked them out since they were added.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 13:17 Despoiler

I haven't been this excited for an MMO in a very very long time. I've been playing MMOs since UO. I'm a PvP junkie and have raided with some of the best PvE raid guilds in the US. I've alpha, beta tested, and played post launch pretty much every MMO that has come out. GW2 is the real deal. It's a seminal MMO that will change a lot of things in the industry. UO broke open the genre, EQ brought 3D and massive raiding, DAoC broke EQ's dominance by reducing the grinds and introduced conquest PvP, WoW raised the bar for quality and polish in MMOs, and GW2 reexamines why it is we play MMOs and fixes so many things that are wrong with modern MMOs.

-Combat is easy to pick up, but also has a very high skill cap. It is active and dynamic unlike your stand and hit a skill rotation MMOs. PvP is quick to get into, there is no gear grind, and you can have fun at any skill level. This is very, very hard to do and Anet pulled it off.

-Leveling is open. This is not a theme park where you are on rails moving from one quest hub to the next. You can go anywhere you want. There is no grind. Just start doing stuff where you are. Believe me, I have no issues grinding mobs to level, but it's just enjoyable to have so much content anywhere you walk to.

-The explorer gamer that I used to know has found its way back into MMOs. Anet has packed so much love, polish, and attention to detail into Tyria. The world is gorgeous and unique everywhere. There are so many things that make you go "wow that is cool."

-There is no holy trinity. You don't need a tank, a healer, and a dps. If you want to run a dungeon just group up with anyone and go do it. There is a way to accomplish anything with any class makeup. All classes have a self heal and can rez. Some classes are tankier or have a couple AoE heals, but there is no such thing as a dedicated X. Everyone can change their traits to add survivability, dps, or healing as they see fit, but they will be playing all roles.

Those are just a few reasons why GW2 is great. I know not everyone will like it. There are a lot of people out there that are stuck in current MMO tradition. As I said, I have seen it all and this is a game to play.

News Comments > Diablo III Hero Profiles Live
9. Re: Diablo III Hero Profiles Live Aug 6, 2012, 18:10 Despoiler

People still play this game?  

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Change Plans
4. Re: Diablo III Auction House Change Plans Aug 3, 2012, 12:10 Despoiler

People still play this game?  

News Comments > TERA Region Blocking
2. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 11:46 Despoiler

Apparently the Tera devs have never heard of a thing called a proxy server.  

News Comments > AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers
12. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.11a Performance Drivers Nov 22, 2011, 13:15 Despoiler

Shineyguy wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 01:28:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 00:04:
Sigh. AMD really needs to get their shit together. Skyrim, one of the year's biggest releases, came out over a week ago and they have yet to add working Crossfire support. What's the point in spending $700 for dual GPU setups if the drivers just disable Crossfire?

The fact that dual-GPUs on the nVidia side does almost nil for performance; I don't think they're missing much.

Only thing SLI allows me to do is jack up AA, and at higher resolutions AA gets to be more and more a non-issue.

The game is cpu bound so this makes sense.

News Comments > Warhammer 40K MMOG's "Flexible" Business Model
8. Re: Warhammer 40K MMOG's "Flexible" Business Model Nov 3, 2011, 16:50 Despoiler

What is the big deal here? This is what every multi-territory MMO does.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Announced
46. Re: World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Announced Oct 22, 2011, 12:24 Despoiler

Is this a joke? &#65279; Did they just make the Kung-Fu Panda expansion?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Space Marine
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Space Marine Sep 7, 2011, 13:13 Despoiler

I haven't even touched the campaign yet. I'll get to it eventually to unlock the special Ultramarines skin. Multiplayer is just too damn fun. The customization you can get through leveling and challenges is great. I usually run a heavy bolter, quick setup, and iron halo. 3000 rounds a minute to your face. Do you want to look unique? You can. SM has full chapter skinning. All of the chapters are already pre-built. Your armor has multiple pieces you can set a primary and detail color on. There are like 8 different models of armor you unlock.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2011, 13:20.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Details
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Details Sep 2, 2011, 17:29 Despoiler

Thank god for no rock-paper-scissors PvP. There is hope.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Aug 6, 2011, 13:19 Despoiler

Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 11:16:
Blegvad wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 23:58:
Cutter wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 22:47:
More like Star Wars: The Meh Republic.

That is the absolute height of wit!

Still winning hearts and minds around here?

Still sad an angry were all not mindless little fanboys like you? Awwww.

Oh, I get it! You're the loser that Alec Guiness was talking about. Wow, so how many times have you seen Star Wars by now? 1000?

You should probably stop talking. You have been wrong about every MMO that has come out. If you think you are such a bad ass MMO arm chair designer you should take it to the real world and actually go work on an MMO. Then you can get laughed out that company much like you do on these forums.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bounty Hunter Trailer
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bounty Hunter Trailer Jul 3, 2011, 11:06 Despoiler

Zadig wrote on Jul 2, 2011, 15:07:
The gameplay has looked terrible in every single one of the trailers I've bothered to watch. No wonder it keeps getting pushed back.

Pushed back? They have never given a release date.

These are class demos not live gameplay trailers. They are just supposed to show off visual progression with ability progression. It's not really meant to show how a normal gameplay session would play out.

60 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo