Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Despoiler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2008, 15:50
Total Comments 60 (Suspect)
User ID 47617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Beta RC Driver
7. Re: New AMD Catalyst Beta RC Driver Jul 14, 2014, 11:25 Despoiler

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 12:23:
Ever since I installed the driver set which gave performance boost to Wildstar, my monitor has been a real pain in the ass where I would turn on my PC and anywhere from five to 30 minutes would go by before it realized it wasn't in some kind of sleep mode. It's getting feed because it's not showing the no input bubble. Powercycle and keymashing gave no results and it usually boiled down to waiting, rebooting, and more waiting and it's really aggravating. It'll trick me sometimes too where the monitor will come on but in an unsupported resolution so I hit detect and it fucks off for another few minutes.

I went in to the power settings and turned off PCI-E Link or whatever but I don't know if it was off or on prior to this shitstorm to see if it works and I'm not exactly inclined to play Russian roulette by rebooting my system.

You are probably using a DP cable? If so is it a certified cable? This is a common issue with cheap, non certified cables.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
28. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 12, 2014, 12:17 Despoiler

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:00:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:29:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 11:19:
Is this where Nvidia gets to cry foul about their competitor getting to have an edge in certain games now like AMD did?
They can try, the difference is the SDK is open to anyone who wants to implement it, that includes nvidia.

This is FUD in every way possible.... Seriously, where the hell do people get that this is an open API? When you can not download the SDK publicly and you can not read the API specs then it's not a open API.

AMD said they will make it open early 2014, but until now 12 June 2014, fuck all has happened. Access is stricly limited to AMD selected developers. The api itself is locked behind a NDA and is not part of any open standards body. (Like Khronos Group)

So no, nobody can support mantle except choice developers selected by AMD ONLY (Currently)

And dx12, which will do what Mantle does but platform agnostic, will come in late 2015...

I truly wish AMD would open the API and put it into OpenGL.. so it's not that I am hating on them here, I just think it should be clear that this isn't an open API.

OpenGL has the same core problem that DX currently has. That is the core was developed prior to multi-core CPUs and thus the scaling is terrible. You can't add more extensions to solve that problem. It needs to be rewritten from the ground up for modern computers like Mantle and DX12.

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
27. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 12, 2014, 12:13 Despoiler

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:23:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 12:44:
But didn't mantle become a bust? They were claiming improvements of 30%, but all I ever saw in real-world testing was 5-10%.

Mantle is probably worth if it you have a weaker system otherwise (CPU), especially with how far AMD CPUs are behind Intel's these days. Still, I think we'll see more universal results with DX12. I'm not bashing Mantle per se but...getting closer to the metal has been around since before Glide FX (a fact I've stated before in Mantle threads). I think a lot of people (and fanboys) over-hyped the concept since, as usual, they don't know what the hell they're talking about. I think it's a step in the right direction but it's evolutionary not revolutionary.

It benefits all systems, but different ways. If you have a CPU bottleneck because of weak CPU or you are running multiple GPUs it will greatly reduce the CPU bottleneck. If you have what I would call a balanced system that mostly is GPU bound then your frame times are roughly half of what DX11 delivers and you can see upto 100% higher minimum fps. This translates to a much much smoother gameplay experience. You do get slightly high max fps, but it's min fps that is the key benefit of Mantle.

News Comments > Mythic Entertainment Closed
23. Re: Mythic Entertainment Closed May 30, 2014, 11:08 Despoiler

Kythlyn wrote on May 29, 2014, 22:00:
I still consider DAoC one of the all time great MMORPGs.

It's one of the all time greats even if you didn't play it. It is the game that broke Everquest's dominance in MMOs. It was the MMO that started addressing the unnecessary tedious elements found in EQ that people hated. That in turn started the trend of all MMOs after it to continue removing "tedious" elements from gameplay for better or worse. <cough WoW> It changed the MMO landscape dramatically. That's on top of having arguably the best PvP of any 3D MMO. UO is still legendary being the first graphic PvP MMO.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Announced
18. Re: DirectX 12 Announced Mar 20, 2014, 21:43 Despoiler

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 21:07:
Direct3D 12 is the API youíve been waiting for.

Yeah, not really.

Direct3D 12 works across all the Microsoft devices you care about.

As long as they have Windows 8.1 installed.

Win9....

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
46. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 12:44 Despoiler

DX12 can't be a superset of DX11 like 11 was of 10. They need to rebuild DX from the ground up in order to make it a modern API that solves its inherent problems (little to no CPU scaling, API overhead, and driver overhead). Make no mistake, MS is going to talk about the future and not what actually exists. It's going to sound an awful lot like what Mantle delivers now. It will be available on the next version of Windows. These GDC talks are MS getting beat to the punch, trying to get back into the fight, all before the ref counts to 10. It's typical Microsoft.  

News Comments > "Stunning" Nitrous Engine Impressions
22. Re: Jan 9, 2014, 12:29 Despoiler

AMD has 38% of the market right now and it's going up.

The Stardock engine supports DX11 also, but DX is so horribly inefficient compared to Mantle it's not worth showing off.

The lead devs for Stardock said that the hardware abstraction layer in Mantle is capable of working with an Nvidia GPU. It's not going to have optimizations, but the core is there for it to work on any GPU.

RIP DX and good riddance!

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers
2. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 15:13 Despoiler

DangerDog wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 14:09:
Beta drivers? Everyone assumed that DICE and AMD had their shit together since they were partnered up and everything.

Everything is a beta driver unless it's an WHQL release. Nvidia has the exact same release system.

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
21. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 10:46 Despoiler

The one glaring issue is that the servers are packed, but they do have the caps set pretty aggressively right now. There is a queue system, but it seems broken. I've only ever seen a queue that is < 300 people and it only took like 3 seconds to load through that queue. Other times you will get a world full error only to get right in ie no queue after 5-10 minutes of trying. I am on a NA Legacy server though. They have stopped allowing new character creation on the Legacy servers. Once you are in game there are no adverse issues like lag.  

20. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 10:37 Despoiler

Axis wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 10:26
uest dialog was skippable, cut scenes were not, and there's a ton as expected.

Regardless, I cannot stand the "Hee Hee", "...", "Huh?", excessive small talk dribble of JPGS to the point of nausea.

[/quote:

Hit ESC, then "skip" appears on the bottom right. Hit skip.

17. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 10:26 Despoiler

I'm digging the game so far. I'm level 20 after a couple days of playing. The world is gorgeous. It feels like every place in the world has had a lot of time spent building it. Even with all of the detail, all settings maxed, the game runs smooth as butter. (i5 2500K @ 4.3ghz, 7970 GHZ with 13.8 beta 2 drivers, 16GB RAM)

Quests types are pretty run of the mill. Kill, gather, delivery, class, and story. The animals and monsters are in true FF style. Unique takes on them. The class and story quests have cut scenes, which are really well done. There are also "fate". Think dynamic events from Warhammer Online and Rift. There are also "levemete". Think daily quests. There are battle, gathering, and crafting levemete to choose from so you can work on what you want to. There are a lot of ways to get xp and money in this game. You should never get stuck. There is a TON of quest text in this game. If you love reading you will love this game. Fortunately, you can quickly skip through if you just want to get on with it.

I've hit the first two light party(4 man) dungeons. They are straight forward and any MMO vet will breeze through them. Never-the-less they give some glimmer of what is to come. Again, they feel detailed and hand crafted as opposed to thrown together, reused, or auto generated. There is a short cut scene for the boss battle. Bosses look amazing so far. I've caught myself going "holy ****" once the cut scene started playing.

Sadly there is no PvP in the game right now, but the first PvP content should be coming with the 2.1 patch. So far as I know, they are planning on having a different set of skills just for PvP so there are no balance issues with PvE. Great idea IMO. I'm looking forward to it.

Overall, I am really enjoying this game much more than I thought I would. I'm more of a PvP player, but the PvE in this game is enjoyable.

News Comments > New Beta AMD Catalyst Drivers
4. Re: New Beta AMD Catalyst Drivers Aug 1, 2013, 22:07 Despoiler

Single cards have been getting fixed for several months now. They have been doing a combination of driver fixes and CAPs to make sure SGPU are smooth.

This driver just introduces their Cross-Fire frame pacing solution. It has no effect on SGPUs.

The next major fix is when they rewrite the memory management portion of the driver so GCN cards are more efficient and thus faster. That got put on hold though because frame pacing took precedence.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Open Beta
10. Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 17:05 Despoiler

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 15:45:
Despoiler wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 12:07:
This. War Thunder is an actual sim. The flight models, planes, etc are all modelled after the real thing using real historical data. World of WarPlanes is terrible mess of an arcade fantasy.

They must have entirely rewritten the whole game since last summer then, because what was on offer a year ago was pretty fucking awful from a simmers perspective. If you've put some hours into IL-2 online -- and IL-2 is generally regarded as pretty sim-lite (press I to start the engine, messages flash on screen when you're engine is starting to overheat, etc.) -- then WarThunder was pretty much unplayable. The flight models did not seem to encompass the limitations of aircraft of that era: you could enter an 800km/h powered dive with the FW-190, and quickly pull out of it without bleeding much energy at all or doing any damage to airframe or pilot, despite the fact that the control surfaces freeze up at that speed, and the G-loading that would be required to execute such a quick pull out would render the pilot unconscious and snap the wings of the airframe right off. It didn't help that the community was completely retarded and didn't have even a basic grasp of fighter tactics, the use of energy in air combat, or teamwork. A buddy and I would drag and bag in our 190s and were completely untouchable because no one could seem to figure out that altitude IS an advantage, and would instead take off and head straight to enemy territory without building up the "energy bank". Disappointing game that got boring very quickly. I'll stick with IL-2 for WWII air combat, and DCS for combat flight simulation in general.

Flight models get applied to the planes as they are finished not as the planes are made available. Until then they just have a default flight model. It's funny you mention IL-2 because all of the historical junkies in War Thunder talk trash about its flight models.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Open Beta
4. Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 12:07 Despoiler

InBlack wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 10:38:
What a load of bollocks this game is. Much better game IMO is War Thunder. Everything form the grind to the actual plane handling to the missions to pretty much everything is better done in War Thunder.

This. War Thunder is an actual sim. The flight models, planes, etc are all modelled after the real thing using real historical data. World of WarPlanes is terrible mess of an arcade fantasy.

News Comments > EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD
28. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 18, 2013, 23:37 Despoiler

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 23:27:
Translation: We don't want to spend the time to properly support the platform so you get sloppy seconds. Again.

I do see where AMD will have a natural advantage on CPU power with console ports though, at least in the beginning. The new consoles have 8-core CPU's that are clocked fairly low, similar to AMD's desktop CPU lineup. Intel has higher performance per core but doesn't have a desktop product with more than 4 physical cores. The more expensive i7's have hyperthreading which would help, but for now AMD is a better match.

Edit: Story update sounds better, though it probably only applies to Dice.

Hyperthreading only gives 1-2% increase in performance in gaming. It might as well not even have it.

News Comments > World of Tanks Boasts 60M Accounts
4. Re: World of Tanks Boasts 60M Accounts Jun 7, 2013, 16:18 Despoiler

Darks wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 15:54:
InBlack wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 10:10:
90% of those accounts quit by the time they figure out how crazy the hard the grind is without premium. A further 9% quit by the time they figure out how crazy hard the grind is WITH premium....

LOL, I was about to say something in the same regard, Iím one of those who quit playing it after one week. And youíre right, itís a grind fest to try and get level up and get better Tanks and gear. I liked the game, but hated how the model works.

1 week? You do not know anything about grind. Everything is cake up to about tier 7. Tier 8 is when the grind starts.

News Comments > World of Tanks Lawsuit
7. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 12:19 Despoiler

Wargaming has a Chinese company that licenses and manages the game in China. While the article says it's Wargaming doing the suing, it will be via their Chinese partner. This will be Chinese company vs Chinese company in court. It should be a fair fight and one that Wargaming should easily win because the 1:1 copying of tanks and tank lines.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses
33. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 15:06 Despoiler

I think the thing that people are forgetting is that in legal action you have a phase called discovery. The plaintiff can request every document pertaining to the game development that exists. If one email is found that says "this game is terrible, but we are shipping it anyways", it is it's going to seriously undermine the defendant's case that "work in progress" is enough to differentiate it from a bait and switch.  

News Comments > Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit
32. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 12:08 Despoiler

The thing is you can't just say "work in progress, subject to change" and have that be complete immunity to the BS they released. I think we all know that features get changed or stripped under time crunches, but this is something entirely beyond that. The shipped game looked completely different, in a bad way, from everything they demoed. Things like the AI were amazingly broken, but were touted to be the most amazing AI ever. What they did was show you and describe a Ferrari, but delivered a Yugo. Sure the Yugo is red and has Ferrari badges, but that doesn't mean you have to take it. I think this lawsuit has merit and has a good chance to succeed. My guess is they will try to settle with this one person to avoid class action.  

News Comments > Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games
12. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:53 Despoiler

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:15:
Wargaming has done what? League of Legends and World of tanks? Where are they getting all these resources to buy studios left and right? Considering they just acquired Day 1 Studios as well. Is League really that successful?

Riot Games does League of Legends.

60 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo