Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for theAntiELVIS

Real Name theAntiELVIS   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Evil avatar of an ex-dead rock God
Homepage http://gracelessland.wordpreess.com
Signed On Aug 24, 1999, 00:12
Total Comments 514 (Apprentice)
User ID 473

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Almost chili Dec 31, 2001, 02:45 theAntiELVIS

The guy who says chili must have beans is an idiot. Now that that's out of the way...

1) reliance on powdered pepper products is lame - sorry, real western chili would never have this stuff

2) Jalapenos should be added in wheel-slices for color and flavor. For real fire, though, those habaneros are a good choice. My personal favorite is those nuclear little seranos, though. You don't want the juice from those on your skin or your clothing

3) There is little sense in adding the tequila. Tequila is pretty much vodka with the vodka taken out and just the alcohol left. This will evaporate right away, leaving about zero flavor behind. My suggestion is leave it out of the chili and pour it straight into the cook

4) What kind of beer? I suggest a dark Mexican beer. Dark beers have particulates in them that are left behind when the water and alcohol evaporate-out. And Mexican beer in particular has stuff in it that shouldn't even be in beer, so it adds even more

New Yorkers making chili - amazing. You don't see us westerners trying to do lox and bagels, do you? We import that shit from the East.

-tAE-

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 02:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Quake II Source Code
65. On Cheating Dec 28, 2001, 05:28 theAntiELVIS

If you use to to do single player stuff, no worries! ;-)

The network code was always the worst thing about Q2 - screw it.

It's still the most solid OpenGL geometry renderer ever made. It still looks good. Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, and it probably never will. But a good Quake 2 map is a thing of beauty - I personally prefer it to Q3.

The most interesting uses of this code will be in the realm of extending it - I can see someone doing a 3D landscape addition a la Team Arena. And the most imaginative things will have nothing to do with shooters - the renderer can be used for making movies - there will be big interest in changing the engine in that direction.

The engine still has a lot of life in it. Many of its limitations are artificial - put in to accomodate the Pentium II machines it was designed for.

And there are many loopholes in the GNU license. For example, you enter a gray area if you place your code in a DLL, and just distribute the modified Q2 source. Carmack might sue, though. And he just might lose under that scenario.

Personally, I think you are legally only required to distribute any original source files you may use - if you create new source files that are 100% new code, yet are still part of the compiled executable, you can keep those private. The GNU license would fall apart under that scenario if challenged in court. But that's just my opinion.

<BEGIN OPEN SOURCE/LINUX RANT>

Also personally, I think trying to sell anything made with this code as silly, anyway. Trying to sell anything that is open source is silly. You'll notice this code only became open source after all the revenue was squeezed-out of it. Carmack talks the talk, but when it comes-down to dollars, you only get his source once every real nickel has been made. This is why open source and commercial enterprise are mutually exclusive.

Open source is for hobbyists. And Linux hippies who steal most of their software, anyway. Linux sucks. So does Windows, actually, but not nearly as much as Linux. The command line is a stoneage implement, but you can't so SHIT in Linux without it.

<END RANT>

-tAE-

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 05:31.

64. Re: any tutorials? Dec 28, 2001, 05:11 theAntiELVIS

Files that start with "cl_" are the client - the part of the game that handles all the player-side stuff like drawing the display, selecting weapons, movement, mouse and keyboard control, etc.

Files that start with "sv_" are the server - this controls the game, both in single and multiplayer.

Files that start with "snd_" are sound system stuff.

Hope that helps. BTW, for anyone who finds the game isn't drawing the weapons models, it's something to do with the .cfg file that comes with the source. I copied my old .cfg back into the \baseq2 directory and everything is fine.

-tAE-

52. Re: No subject Dec 26, 2001, 16:35 theAntiELVIS

SHUT UP!

The man just handed us the source code for a mega-hit game, that STILL sells for ten grand per license, and you bitch because he didn't spend three weeks teaching you to program.

I'll bet if you won the lottery, you'd bitch because they didn't mail the check to you.

-tAE-

News Comments > Quake II Source Code
26. Re: Death Dec 26, 2001, 14:48 theAntiELVIS

Lighting in HL is completely different than Quake 2.

As far as I know, there is NO Q2 code in HL.

Everyone stop whining - games get old.

And this is a dream come true for me. I've been waiting to read this code for years.

-tAE-

6. It's the nog Dec 13, 2001, 13:57 theAntiELVIS

That stuff will paralyze a rutting water buffalo.

Do you know what nog is? They get it by squeezing the pineal glands of rhesus monkeys. Swear to God. These monkeys are kept on nog farms, in little cages strapped to a board. Each one has an elastic band around it, and each day the band is tightened to squeeze-out more nog. Eventually the poor little creature is crushed to death.

Just remember that the next time you go on one of your little binges. You think eggnog is bad for you ....

-tAE-

12. Re: *sigh* Dec 12, 2001, 15:44 theAntiELVIS

You're an idiot.

No one cares about some schmuck making a copy of something for their friend. We're talking about organized, high-volume efforts to steal other people's property.

You don't give a rat's ass about this, but if you go outside tomorrow and someone has stolen your car, repainted it, and sold it to a dealership, would you care about that?

Is it okay to go to the grocery store and steal a carton of milk? Hey, there are lots of other cartons just like it - what's the harm?

Software piracy is stealing. No one goes after the little guy using his CD burner. It's the one's who offer an organized system for getting illegal software that hurt the business, the people (like me) who work for those businesses, and ultimately the consumer who has to pay for the lost revenue through inflated prices.

Warez sites are run by criminal assholes. I say hunt 'em down, lock 'em up, and throw away the damn key.

-tAE-

11. Re: Critic who never saw the play Dec 12, 2001, 15:35 theAntiELVIS

Game reviewers (like myself) are souless, whoring shills who attempt to get recognition by riding on the backs of other, actually talented people.

Because the shelf-life of a review is even shorter than a game's, we have to get our product to market as soon as the game comes out. This generally very little time for actually playing the thing.

It doesn't really matter - all we have to do is look at the box, decide what genre it is (RTS, FPS, etc.), and then rehash our tired prejudices against that genre. From screen shots we can usually tell all we need to about gameplay ("run and gun", "build and battle", etc.).

And finally, we are usually not at all interested in the game itself, but in sucking-up-to/dissing the developer depending on who it is. For example I could write 2,500 words on any game by id Software, without even knowing the title. All I have to do is talk about "cutting edge technology", "lack of any coherent story", and "ridiculously high system requirements". It's an id game, take it for granted....

-tAE-

P.S.: Right now I'm writing my review for Soldier of Fortune 2. Of course I haven't seen the game - doesn't matter, because half of the review will actually be about the first Soldier of Fortune.

News Comments > American McGee Q&A
1. I especially liked the fold-out Dec 11, 2001, 13:14 theAntiELVIS

Turn-ons: A big wet one on the pooter
Turn-offs: Mean people, rainy days

jeez...

-tAE-

10. Not gamers Dec 10, 2001, 12:32 theAntiELVIS

Anyone who wasn't into games when Doom came out isn't a gamer - they're a game player.

We muxt make a distinction between the pioneers and the sad little consumers we have today. These weenies never had to configure a Kali connection....

Imagine the soft life they've lead, always having had a game browser and 3D cards and sound! Why, I remember when we had to walk 30 miles in the snow just to get a mod installed!

-tAE-

News Comments > Return to Castle Whatsis
45. Re: What's the point Dec 7, 2001, 18:44 theAntiELVIS

Joseph Stalin was Left Wing?

You're a fucking moron.

-tAE-

News Comments > Return to Castle Whatsis
44. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2001, 18:38 theAntiELVIS

Dude, I think you need to watch the news now and then. For the past three years we've been going through a fight to have the Confederate flag and the battle flag removed from all state buildings, monuments, etc.

There are a few million black folks that are still kind of pissed about it.

Me, I think people should try separate their symbols from their reality. It's just a flag. By that same token, I have no problem with burning the U.S. flag. I won't, but it's just a flag, after all.

-tAE-

16. Optional Sleep Dec 3, 2001, 16:05 theAntiELVIS

What do they mean "could"?

I haven't slept since 1987 - too many deadlines to meet.

-tAE-

15. Happy Birthday To You Nov 21, 2001, 13:44 theAntiELVIS

Happy Birthday To You
You Look Like A Monkey
And You Smell Like One Too!

(This juvenilia brought to you by theAntiELVIS, who will be 43 on New Year's Eve - beat that! That's like 200 in gamer years!)

-tAE-

News Comments > On Wolf's Goldness
14. Re: RE: Germans Nov 15, 2001, 19:04 theAntiELVIS

Dumbass. The point is the irony of the situation.

And of course all Germans are Nazis. Just like all Brits are gay and all Arabs are terrorists.

Hopefully we'll soon get a game where we can kill bleeding-heart apologists who can find even the most meager justification for what they enjoy.

My point about the game coming out AT ALL is the news media and the brainless morons who run it. Do you think they'll take the time to analyze ANYTHING? No, they'll just throw a lot of screen caps with swastikas on them up on the tube, and let the mindless hysteria commence!

The point is that if we don't start thinking about our own image in the wider world, that wider world WILL start legislating our fun out of existence.

Sure it's fun to yank the tiger's tail - right up until the point it bites you.

Get a clue.

Tell me - how much U.S. history do you know?

-tAE-

P.S. I don't actually think all Germans are Nazis. I'll bet you'd have to look-up the day the Nazis took power (I'll just tell you - it was Jan. 30 1933, when Hitler visited Hindenberg in the old palace the Willhelmstrasse, and the senile old fart actually handed the nut-case the keys to the kingdom. That night the brown shirts paraded through the streets holding torches, and the idiot populace cheered them on. Of course the majority of Germans weren't Nazis, just like the majority of Russians weren't ever communists. And niether did a damn thing to stop them, either. So they are all at least culpable - at least those born in Germany before 1945 and those born in the Soviet Union before it fell. Read some history before you attempt to teach it).

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 19:13.

News Comments > On Wolf's Goldness
6. Germans Nov 15, 2001, 14:35 theAntiELVIS

The irony involved in Germans playing this game is almost too much to bear.

Imagine Brits playing a game where a German soldier kills hundreds of Tommys....unlikely.

Do you think the German's yell "Take that you scum-sucking Nazi swine!" when they frag an enemy?

I said it when it was announced a couple of years ago and I'll say it again - making this game at this point in time is BIG mistake. The last thing the community needs is a game with Nazis and dogs you shoot. The last thing we need at this time is a game that prominently displays swastikas.

Think about it.

-tAE-

News Comments > Second Encounter Next Year
3. It was too good Nov 15, 2001, 13:11 theAntiELVIS

Take Two hates that. So an extra six months is required to ruin the game.

-tAE-

News Comments > Are They on Drugs?
92. CPL testing Nov 8, 2001, 06:26 theAntiELVIS

Why don't they test for stupidity?

Oh, right - the organizers would be disqualified.

-tAE-

News Comments > Are They on Drugs?
17. Anything and pot Nov 6, 2001, 14:21 theAntiELVIS

Are a popular combination. How about pot and cupcakes?

Idiots.

-tAE-

News Comments > Crusader: Total War goes Medieval
5. Bullshit Nov 5, 2001, 20:43 theAntiELVIS

This is political correctness, pure and simple. You see, these days when we decide to bomb the fuck out of someone, we also have to be really polite to them. "Crusader" is one of those "loaded" terms that the losers of wars get all upset about - like calling the Japanese "Japs" - it just isn't done. "Crusader" brings to mind the oppression of all those peaceful, fun-loving muslims that were disembowling people right and left back during the Crusades.

It just wouldn't be right to have such an impolite term in the title of a game about...killing and disembowling. No matter how historically accurate it might be.

These guys have a real history of this kind of thing - remember they took the word "Mongol" out of the add-on. Might have upset all those inbred, backwoods banjo players out there.

Jeez, give me a break from bullshit.

-tAE-

514 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo