Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mark

Real Name mark   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname timesten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 2, 2008, 15:33
Total Comments 127 (Novice)
User ID 47175

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > EVE Online Kronos Next Month
2. Re: EVE Online Kronos Next Month May 3, 2014, 13:25 timesten

I never got into PI and I have a fundamental problem with mining, but every time I see a new update, I want to start up my sub again. I have a very old account that doesnt have nearly the skills that people think it should. When I look for a corp, they see my start date and start salivating, then I tell them my skills and they wander off disappointed.

Im not sure what I actually like about the game, the scope I guess, because after I resub, Im left wondering why I did and what I think im actually going to do.

I sometimes think i should go pirate and see how that suits me, but Im not evil...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Controller Demonstration Video
21. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 18:19 timesten

If You don't like lifting and swiping, just up the sensitivity. Seems like an honest effort at making PC games living room friendly. I hope I get picked for the beta. The only thing I was thinking was that I may want to be able to kinda roll the right pad around in fps or 3ps based action games. To sort of balance direction between your thumb tip and first knuckle. This video didn't seem to show that exactly.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month
6. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 24, 2013, 22:10 timesten

I like the look of this game, but i really want to play with my friends. is there any plan for multiplayer campaigns? i know they are supporting mods, are there any in the works?  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2013, 22:41 timesten

I use it successfully to share a drive on my windows 8 htpc which I access with my older macbook, 10.4 maybe, and my girlfriends newer mb pro.. whatever the latest version is. It seems to work pretty effortlessly, though she cant use time machine with it. I also have it mapped to my regular gaming pc running windows 8. I have heard that it takes a bit more work if you are using anything pre win 7, but I think that's expected if you are using xp, which is 10+ years old at this point.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed
13. Re: NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed Mar 21, 2013, 10:50 timesten

just watched a 470/480 copilation and it seems like most of what that card added was physics stuff, lighting and overlay stuff and tesseslation, all of which are pretty ubiquitous in todays games. maybe we will see this sooner than we think.  

11. Re: NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed Mar 21, 2013, 10:44 timesten

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:23:
Well that was sort of my point in an exaggerated way.
Sure you can use a Titan now for that one or 2 games out there on multiple monitors or super HD displays but does that justify the cost of the Titan? For most people it won't.
To see graphics like this in games the consoles will have to be able to do this as well, otherwise devs will not put the extra effort and work for PC gamers.
I did not look at the PS4-Xbox720 specs but I doubt they will be close to anything like a modern PC with a Titan video card or even a 680 GTX.

yep, i got ya. i think i heard that the ps4 will output 4k, but who knows what that will actually mean. the current consoles all say they do hd, but its not 60 fps awesome 1080. we all seem to be saying the same thing, its killer, but wheres the game.

now that i think back on all the nvidia demos, im not sure any of them translated into a game even years after.. i may have to go back and look some up. what is the best looking game out? crysis 3? not sure that looks like even a tech demo from 2 cards back.

6. Re: NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed Mar 21, 2013, 10:13 timesten

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:00:
This
By the time devs will take advantage of this tech we will have Titan3 on store shelves.
I wouldn't worry much about what that card costs today, unless you run 20 monitors you won't need a card like that for a while.

Im not sure about that. you can buy a 4k tv today, and this card supports that. I know its high end, but there are some 680 benchmarks for battlefield 3 that suggest 20 fps at 4k on ultra settings. i realize that's luxurious, but its not like there isnt a reason to get a titan now.

2. Re: NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed Mar 21, 2013, 09:25 timesten

Pretty fancy. I'm not buying a thousand dollar video card to make this happen on my machine, but it is neat. Along the lines of the final fantasy movie at the time.

I doubt it will be used in any games for a while, but i wonder if it scales. If not, it cant be put into play for a few years.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 14, 2012, 10:45 timesten

they sent an email confirming shipping at 2:30am last night, so i will have it by mon/tue. not terrible in the scheme of things.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 13, 2012, 23:00 timesten

count me among the slightly miffed. not that i want any kind of apology or compensation, just sucks to have put in an order the morning of the first day they were up and drive past a gamestop where i could have one today for 3 dollars more. 14 shipping vs 17 tax. the word is that all the preorders should ship within 3 bus. days, which means i should have it no later than friday next.

meh.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
2. Re: Evening Screenshots Mar 1, 2012, 22:06 timesten

you mean to say battletech and it looks like it. the hexes are a pretty dead giveaway.  

News Comments > 1.5 M Battlefield 3 Preorders
14. Re: 1.5 M Battlefield 3 Preorders Sep 21, 2011, 18:52 timesten

His opinion is pretty much the same as mine.

I would have already preordered this if it were available thru steam, or if it didnt require a bunch of drm bs, and or if it didnt appear like a milk you for all its worth sales platform rather than a great pc game.

As it it, i am taking the wait and see approach also. A lot of the videos make it look very cool, but there does seem to be a shady element to what is going on.

News Comments > Castle Empire Beta Signups
2. Re: Castle Empire Beta Signups Jul 20, 2011, 21:21 timesten

Acleacius wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 20:55:
Oh hell yeah, sign me up for some of that sweet sweet, drm!

Whats funny about that is that I have generally low interest in ubi games so I don't buy them at full price ever, but when a steam sale has them for 10 or less, I still don't buy them because of the drm. I buy a bunch of games that I never play but when it come to ubi games i think "ya its only 7 dollars, but maybe i never play it, and that stupid rootkit is on my machhine forever.."

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
21. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Mar 16, 2011, 19:34 timesten

Teddy wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 17:05:
Wallshadows wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 16:23:
You cannot call a sniper someone who consistently misses and fires wildly. It's a stupid way to build tension for the player when you realize your enemy suffers from Parkinson's disease while looking through the scope.

Despite what movies and video games have sold you, not all snipers are especially skilled. While the common thought is that snipers are high level marksman, that's simply because in a high level military organization, they are. Rogue factions, Terrorists, etc, don't necessarily have the same level training.

All that's required for one to meet the definition of "sniper" is to be one who fires from a concealed place.

It also doesn't require the use of weapons people like to label as "sniper rifles". A 10 year old hidden in a building taking pot shots at people with an AK47 is still a sniper.

my csb:

my uncle tells a story of when he was in vietnam. there was a sniper that was hassling the camp for the first week he was there. one day he sees the muzzle flash when the sniper fires at his general position. my uncle grabs a rifle and starts to take aim. a superior yells at my uncle not to fire, saying " that guy has been shooting at us for 2 months and not hit a thing, if you kill him they may replace him with one that can aim."

also, the video does look great. i liked the multiplayer of bc2, but i miss the random objectives of enemy territory. its still just a box to arm, but it adds to the feel.

News Comments > Wizard's Survival Kit for Magicka
3. Re: Wizard's Survival Kit for Magicka Mar 8, 2011, 21:07 timesten

ya, its fun. most of my regular group has moved on to rift atm, but i keep hoping that we get back to the chalenge matches. ive found that its one of those games that has a pretty steep re-learning curve tho, its not a natural feel for me. a friend suggested that playing diablo a lot online got him used to the click-to-move/left-hand-for-hotkey setup.

too many dashes in that?

News Comments > Dragon Age II DRM Explained
47. Re: Dragon Age II DRM Explained Feb 1, 2011, 09:27 timesten

Verno wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 07:49:
Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 07:41:
Is there any particular reason why this board loves to champion those without the internet?

Your internet goes out from time to time, sure, though this seems to accomodate that. And yeah, sometimes I'm gaming on a plane or train but in those cases I'm on a netbook/laptop way too underpowered to run this game, anyway. And even if you've got some $4000 Alienware laptop (which Icewind apparently does) it still accomodates that.

I'm not saying it's not weird or overbearing, I'm just saying I never understand the "oh my god I need to be near the internet from time to time!" or the "what about all those people without the internet?!" comments that we see in DRM threads.

You can't account for every usage scenario in the world and that's part of the problem with DRM. This would be fine if it was at least effective but it has been shown time and time again to be completely ineffective at both fighting piracy and doing it's job without negative impact to legitimate customers. It is totally without purpose at this point, especially in the face of the growing 0 day console scene who doesn't have to worry about cracking their titles, just obtaining a disc. So if you want an answer to your question, I'd like to see your answer on why its ok to cause problems for your customers when you aren't even dealing with the problem.

When I worked for a used car lot, at night they would put one simple chain across the main drive entrance and lock it with a masterlock. I mentioned to the manager how that didnt seem to be enough as any of the cars could just drive thru and break it. "Locks and chains only keep out honest people" he said.

That sits true here.

News Comments > Cross Platform Portal 2 Confirmed
28. Re: Cross Platform Portal 2 Confirmed Jan 18, 2011, 13:59 timesten

Beamer wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 13:21:
So... families in the future that do their research will choose a PS3 over the Xbox.

For the 10 games crossplatform games that come out this generation?

I think you really, really, really overestimate the value of crossplatform play. On the basis of this board alone how many PC gamers want to play against console gamers? And once console gamers start getting obliterated by mouse-and-keyboarders, how many of them will want to play PC gamers?

Wasnt this the point of a recent article quoting microsoft devs? i dont have it at my fingertips, but i think i remember them saying that the main reason was that the console players were generaly outmatched.

i wonder what will happen when a pc player gets matched up with a console player that cant consistantly aim as precisely as they want. in a shooter, that could be a non issue mostly, but in a game like portal, where you have to aim while flying and spinning, killing or stranding your teammate if you fail, it could be a deal breaker. further gaming divide?

News Comments > Beta Access with Bloodline Champions Preorders
4. Re: Beta Access with Bloodline Champions Preorders Nov 16, 2010, 17:54 timesten

it is a fun game. its not wow.

damage is normalized. this means that you cant outgear anyone. ive had my butt kicked with every class, so they are mostly all viable. the controls make it so you have to aim at your target and they can dodge your attack. it certainly doesnt feel like wow gameplay wise, that is apparent instantly the first match you play.

its fairly in-depth as far as balance goes. there are counters to just about every attack, interupts, silences, slows, stuns, buffs, shields, teleports of a few varieties, stealth movement, and synergies between lots of combinations of classes. at the same time, you only have 9 abilities(2 with alternate modes mapped to a separate key), one is a special ability that you have to build "energy" to use, and 2 that are common to all classes, a self heal and a rez. it doesnt take a whole night to learn all the spells/abilities. also, common abilities are mapped to common keys. the space bar is a movement mod key on most toons, teleport for some, jump attack for some, that sort of thing. there are a lot of options when setting up a game too. there is team size of course, from 1v1 to 5v5, but there are also things like a lvl range, number of rounds needed to win, length of the rounds, an ability to disallow "leavers"(im not sure how many matches you have to ditch to get branded, or if you can become unbranded) to join. there are a few game modes besides arena too. ctf, which i got bored of in 96, and conquest, which is a capture and hold with infinite respawns.. not many ppl running that mode.

if you play with friends you know on your team, and dont get stuck with random ppl who are in their first match, it can be very entertaining.

im not grinding it every night, but whenever there is a slowdown of any sort recently on the multi game vent server i use, this game always comes up.

News Comments > Bloodline Champions Trailer
1. Re: Bloodline Champions Trailer Nov 12, 2010, 14:40 timesten

im playing this, it is pretty fun. if you watch the videos, you will think of WOW, but it doesnt "feel" or really play like wow at all.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December
2. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 10:59 timesten

what is the over/under on the casual returning, non grinding, non endless raiding, non farming player canceling their sub after this xpac?

since it goes in months, ill say 3...well, 3.5 so no one can push. and thats including a month before to get your toons back in order.

127 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo