Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for E. Normous Johnson

Real Name E. Normous Johnson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Longswd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 30, 2008, 20:08
Total Comments 360 (Amateur)
User ID 47039

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 21, 2014, 22:33 Longswd

What no one seems to realize is a judge has just effectively said that a EULA/TOS has no force of law. That's a fairly big deal.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
12. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 14:42 Longswd

This would be why you don't back kick starters or early access games. This is a no sale for me as long as this holds true.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

News Comments > The Crew Specs
1. Re: The Crew Specs Oct 31, 2014, 20:00 Longswd

Ah gawd, the formatting, it burns!

News Comments > SQUARE ENIX's Cloud Plans
2. Re: SQUARE ENIX's Cloud Plans Sep 19, 2014, 09:42 Longswd

It's even worse than that, it's the OnLive snake oil all over again though presumably without the ridiculous business model. Actually, I don't think I'll even presume that much.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Adds PvE
4. Re: World of Warplanes Adds PvE Aug 21, 2014, 18:55 Longswd

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 17:35:
? But that is just for beginners. Whats the problem?

I should have thought the problem was inclusive in the post. To clarify, if I were to try this, I would be playing a new account.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Adds PvE
2. Re: World of Warplanes Adds PvE Aug 21, 2014, 15:29 Longswd

From the patch notes:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Simplified Gameplay for Beginners

Some Hangar functions will from now on be blocked by default for new accounts:

- The PvE mode will be chosen automatically -- other game modes will initially not be available
- New players will not be able to spend Gold, Credits or XP
- In the beginning, all new players will only have one tier I plane available to them. To unlock other planes, players will need to complete special in-game battle missions
---------------------------------------------------------------------

No thanks

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
13. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 14:24 Longswd

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 12:18:
Wildone wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 12:01:
Why would I pay $400 when I get them in game for free?!?! People are just NUTS..

You'll come to find that free-ingame will be reachable by next to no one, and not possible with a person with any kind of life.

In that case, I simply won't be playing it.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2014, 15:49 Longswd

Cutter wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 12:56:
Excellent point. Even if the minkey does own the pic it doesn't mean he's given consent for it to be used.

No, it's not a good point because you can't even start down that road until you can first demonstrate that a monkey can hold a copyright and you can't do that until you can first prove that the monkey is mentally competent.

News Comments > The Talos Principle Video
5. Re: The Talos Principle Video Aug 3, 2014, 00:14 Longswd

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 16:10:
I read this as "The Taltos Principle", and got excited, thinking someone had translated Steven Brust's universe into a game.

So much sad now...

So much of those books involved Vlad's internal dialog/narrative that I don't think it would translate well to a screen. Maybe the David Lynch approach to Dune would work, at least for people who know the books. For everyone else, it was pretty much incomprehensible.

News Comments > APB Reloaded Bans, Shames Cheaters
6. Re: APB Reloaded Bans, Shames Cheaters Jul 30, 2014, 21:52 Longswd

I have no idea why they would find this surprising. Anyone who is rabid enough about a game to cheat at it is also going to be invested enough to buy into whatever advantages they can get.

I would only be surprised if that was not the case.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Euro Megaserver Migration
4. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Euro Megaserver Migration Jul 28, 2014, 23:27 Longswd

More likely some middle manager is trying to protect his ass. See, hardly anyone responded, nothing to see here, move along!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 24, 2014, 20:40 Longswd

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 19:11:
Longswd wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 15:48:
Data is data, even if it's a container. Anything capable of backing up only delta changes in a SQL db should also be able to backup a Truecrypt volume.

Its pretty clear you dont understand how encryption works, and if it did work like you suggest then it would be easily defeated.

Uhm, yeah? No.

www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to-securely-encrypt-your-files-in-the-cloud/

The relevant portion:

"Why Dropbox? Good question. Dropbox can synchronize only the changed portions of large files, while Google Drive and SkyDrive can only synchronize entire files (as far as I can tell). This means that, if you have a 2GB TrueCrypt drive and change a small file in it, Dropbox will upload a small portion of the TrueCrypt file, while Google Drive and SkyDrive will re-upload the entire 2GB file. Some other cloud storage services may also offer delta uploads – be sure you choose one that does if you’re using a TrueCrypt volume."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 24, 2014, 15:48 Longswd

Data is data, even if it's a container. Anything capable of backing up only delta changes in a SQL db should also be able to backup a Truecrypt volume.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2014, 10:24 Longswd

What Happens When an Amoeba “Eats” Your Brain?

You hope there's a large American Indian standing by, pillow in hand.

News Comments > Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House
3. Re: Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House Jul 23, 2014, 10:03 Longswd

Oh goody! I was afraid I had missed out. I've been looking for another investment opportunity after that Nigerian prince told me he couldn't accept my money.

News Comments > Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes
1. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 10:12 Longswd

Still doesn't sound like enough, considering the loss of unique properties from off hand items. Certainly no Wizard will be switching to staves.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2014, 02:04 Longswd

PHJF wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 20:21:
Back from the beach whereupon I read:

Margaret Atwood - Handmaid's Tale
China Mieville - Embassytown
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere

I'll take something from Gaiman over Zelazny any day. Amber was so god damn tedious.

How do you speak such heresies and remain unburned?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2014, 16:06 Longswd

George R.R. Martin says 'f*ck you' to anyone who thinks he'll die before finishing 'Game of Thrones' series.

I seem to recall Robert Jordan saying much the same thing before croaking and leaving the Wheel of Time series incomplete. That series should have been wrapped up by about book 5, but he just kept dragging it out and spinning into a textual soap opera.

Other disappointingly unfinished series would include Roger Zelazny's (2nd) Chronicles of Amber and Gorden R. Dickson's (Dorsai) Childe Cycle.

News Comments > Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned
4. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 14:54 Longswd

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 13:33:
Hey, Rebellion is the same company that sued developer of "Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion" over use of word "Rebellion" as in: "They asserted that our use of the word "Rebellion" in the title of our game "Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion" was violating their trademark. Rebellion Developments made a number of demands including destroying all our existing promotional and marketing materials, paying them money and agreeing to never talk about it."

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/455527/page/1/

So I wouldn't put it past them being a scum company in other areas.

I was going to point that out as well. A scumbag dev is not going to receive the benefit of the doubt here.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 25, 2014, 17:14 Longswd

I don't know the law in Japan, but in the US a case of business interference, tortuous or otherwise would be a civil (lawsuit) matter, not a "criminal" one. There's a good chance that headline is factually incorrect.

360 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo