Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 8866 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
71. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 15:46 InBlack

Ok, everyone just chill for a bit. Lets forget for a moment the fact that the S in FPS stands for 'shooter', and lets set aside the arguments whether it was promised at kickstarter or added post kickstarter as a strech goal. Can we all agree that Chris Roberts now claims that the FPS module is INTEGRAL to the entire Starcitizen experience? Mkay?

So if it's an integral part of SC as CR claims, then where the fuck is it????? Why was it delayed indefinitely a few weeks ago, only to be announced as IMMINENT as in ready for public test realm in 4-5 weeks??? If its so damn important, why was it not developed first and foremost? Why wasn't it released before anything else?

How can everyone be so oblivious to the fact that this dude keeps promising shit, failing to deliver on said promises, promising other shit, failing to deliver, promising something third, fourth etc. etc. etc. How can you trust someone in a leadership position to make a game when he is all over the fucking place all the time?? I really feel sorry for CR's employees, Im sure they are all a dedicated bunch, working in an impossible framework. This is not how you manage a successful project, it's how you ruin a potentialy succesful one. Anyone on this board following this have any project management experience? Id like to hear what you have to say about it.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
8. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 10:30 InBlack

So it's weeks away but we get a 15 minute interview with CR about flying unicorns, and no footage.

Ok, yeah right.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
54. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 20, 2015, 06:56 InBlack

shihonage wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 03:11:
InBlack wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 02:13:
Well said. I agree 100%. The stupid immortal NPCs is just LAZY programming. Nothing else. "Hey this dude should be key to our story, he CANT die, lets make him Immortal". LAZY FUCKING GAME DESIGN.
"Hey, lets make all of our NPCs immortal, that way we can write all these cool stories for them and the player gets to see them all, high five bros!!!" LAZY FUCKING GAME DESIGN TIMES ONE MILLION!

If that was genuine agreement, great.
If that was sarcasm, it was misplaced.

Fallout2 is still the best RPG of all time. The sentiment was/is genuine. No one seems to realize (or remember) that sometimes letting NPCs die in that game could have radically different consequences on the ending of said game. It's brilliant game design, but its so much more work than to simply make the particular NPC immortal. You have to design different outcomes based on what happens to them, so twice the work load for the 'poor' game designers.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2015, 07:02.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
50. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 20, 2015, 02:13 InBlack

shihonage wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 00:37:
Quinn wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 08:19:
I don't agree. In fact, I call utter bullshit.

Have you ever played Mass Effect? If you did, you probably did get attached to characters. None of them were not immortal in combat. None.

In fact, any important NPC in any game I can come up with is immortal in this sense.

The fact that they CAN die in the story depending on your decisions, that's what matters. The interaction you have with the characters outside of combat, that's what matters -- that's what develops a relationship, like that first moment you meet Dogmeat in this video.

Ahem. Actually Dogmeat originated in Fallout 1, where he was killable. And so was every single NPC in the game, including quest givers and other potential companions.

Fallout 2 and Arcanum followed a similar design.

They key word here being "design". RPGs hit their apex mechanically in the late 90s, and console dudebro abominations like "Mass Effect" mutilated the genre into something utterly unrecognizeable.

At some point the publishers interpreted RPG as "Really Profitable Game", and thus it became an amalgamation of genres.

"Mass Effect" does not know how to make player care. Its NPCs are autistic infodumps, they talk like no one ever, and what you say to them is disconnected from what is shown on the screen.

Mass Effect is a generic action franchise with a few stats thrown in, and a few IF-THEN pivot points to give it that RPG flavor without any of the substance.

Its idea of emotional involvement revolves around hackneyed "tearjerker" cutscenes (my eyes were even drier than usual), and awkward bumping-mannequins "lovemaking".

The success of dudebro RPGs like Mass Effect is a symptom of the general decline of the audience. Consoles made games a form of passive entertainment, a set of clowns juggling chainsaws on your TV while you lay back on the couch and absorb content.

Like COD series, it was a big step back toward reducing interactivity in games, essentially neutering the strongest feature that makes them unique, and instead trying to play off genre's secondary qualities of being able to poorly, very poorly, imitate a really crappy movie.

Bioware/Bethesda wouldn't know how to make the player feel immersed, involved, or make him care. That art was lost a long time ago. It requires actual thought, design, innovation, writing. It requires an innate understanding that an interactive world is the holy grail of an RPG.

Well said. I agree 100%. The stupid immortal NPCs is just LAZY programming. Nothing else. "Hey this dude should be key to our story, he CANT die, lets make him Immortal". LAZY FUCKING GAME DESIGN.
"Hey, lets make all of our NPCs immortal, that way we can write all these cool stories for them and the player gets to see them all, high five bros!!!" LAZY FUCKING GAME DESIGN TIMES ONE MILLION!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2015, 02:08 InBlack

I will be checking out ARK at some point probably. If I can find the time to play it that is....  

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
41. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 20, 2015, 02:05 InBlack

KilrathiAce wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 20:58:
Never touch EA or Origin crap

Im with you on this one. I can't remember the last time I purchased an EA game. I think it was Mass Effect 2, or Dragon Age Origins...In any case, Im not going near EA or Origin and so far nothing they have released in the past few years has tempted me even a little bit.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
34. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 20, 2015, 01:57 InBlack

The Witcher3 is really something else entirely. I don't know where CDProject will go next though. The thing with the Witcher games though is that they are basically a rehash of the short stories and novels by Sapkowski so the writing isnt exactly original CDProject Red, so I really hope that they can carry their own weight in the writing department going forwards with Cyberpunk and anything else they are going to be making.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
4. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 19, 2015, 10:41 InBlack

Techie714 © wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 10:32:
I'm about 50 hours into the game & still feel I've barely dented the story line. Also some of the side quests are really involved & rich with dialogue, choices, & a great story. So far this has been a fantastic game!

Best PC game Ive played in a loooooong time. It's not perfect, but it's getting there...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 17, 2015, 09:54 InBlack

Zor wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 09:17:
"Man arrested after filming fatal crash from inside car."

I hope karma catches up quickly with that asshole. Disgusting.

The only thing catching up to this sicko is a big fat paycheck for that footage.

I heartily recommend a movie on that subject: Nightcrawler....

News Comments > Brothers In Arms Rearming
3. Re: Brothers In Arms Rearming Jul 17, 2015, 09:50 InBlack

Gearbox was responsible for Brothers in Arms? That can't be right can it? *checks wikipedia* Hmmm, seems they are...

Oh wait, that was the mediocre WWII FPS series, oh phew, for a while there I had it confused with the fantastic Company of Heroes...

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm QM Matchmaking Tweaked
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm QM Matchmaking Tweaked Jul 17, 2015, 09:47 InBlack

QuickMatch MM was never really much of an issue. Hero League is something completely different. I quit playing due to the way that MM is calculated as soon as you party up with someone. It's completely skewed in favour of solo play, unless you party up with someone who fits exactly in your own invisible MM bracket, which kind of requires guesswork since it doesnt exactly correspond to your rank.

I had fun with the game before it got too frustrating to play...

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: Star Trek alternate timeline nerdy fun Jul 17, 2015, 03:25 InBlack

Wacko  

News Comments > Skyforge Open Beta
9. Re: Skyforge Open Beta Jul 17, 2015, 03:15 InBlack

So is it truly F2P like, Path of Exile F2P or is it gouge out your wallet F2P like World of Tanks???  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2015, 03:12 InBlack

You guys are all spoiled panzies. I just eat my leftover shit cold. Smoking

Yeah...Im baddass like that...

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 17, 2015, 03:05 InBlack

dubfanatic wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 14:54:
Cutter wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 12:33:
The elites have done an amazing job at getting the right-wing blue collar retards to work against their own self-interest.

Wow, elitist and classist much? Might as well just have come out and said "white people".

Wow idiot much? Where did he mention race anywhere, and why did you have to bring it into the discussion?

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4
7. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4 Jul 17, 2015, 03:00 InBlack

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 11:48:
Random trivia: Behaviour Interactive is also one of the developers working on Star Citizen.

Maybe RSI should take a hint and switch engines. CryEngine is not gonna cut it....

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 17, 2015, 02:58 InBlack

NKD wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 02:04:
Krowen wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 21:54:
Sounds like press release bullshit, no way it was more sales than black friday.

Source for the data you're drawing your conclusion from?

Source for Amazon's data? Oh yeah, Amazon...no reason why they would make this shit up right?

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 17, 2015, 02:52 InBlack

CJ has a lot of questions, mainly beginning with Why? The answer is simple. Because they can. Chris Roberts tried to make this game once, with his own (sorry, thats not right, not his own, the publisher's) money, it was a mismanaged piece of vapour-ware until the publisher intervened and took him off the project. There is no one to intervene here, and as long as the loyal fans keep pouring the money in, CR and crew can live under the illusion that they are fighting the good fight and working towards release, while their 'project' languishes in development hell and major feature creep bloat.

The only way for them to get back on track with this would be to restart development from scratch, lose most of the impossible stretch goals, lose the impossible-to-work-with engine, and focus on delivering the tangible goods first. So Squadron42 and the persistent universe, without all the fairy tale bullshit...

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2015, 03:17.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2015, 09:36 InBlack

Yeah that Onion article nailed it.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 16, 2015, 09:33 InBlack

What a dick. Good luck finding graduate students to work for minimum wage somewhere else you asshole.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2015, 09:39.

8866 Comments. 444 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo