Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 7901 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > EA: No Origin Breach
2. Re: EA: No Origin Breach Dec 31, 2014, 10:06 InBlack

Yeah. EA being honest as you please. Right.  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 31, 2014, 06:03 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 03:22:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 02:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 02:32:
In the end this isn't so much about grammar as it is about the meaning that the correct grammar implies. Although I don't think blues had that in mind.

To me, the only logically correct way to say what the article *means* is if you say that you can measure life through a worlds vibration.

Sounds like you're still not getting it... We can detect life on other worlds through life's vibrations.

Also, though not the meaning of the article, shouldn't your bolded word be world's ?

I have no idea about that Should it?

How would you know what you receive is vibration caused by life if you never have found life before and you have only 1 limited definition of life to begin with? You wouldn't even know what kind of vibrations possible-life not based on earth would create when you measure such things.

Honestly asking, how is life even defined in this context? Would you detect algae? Plants? What about bacteria? That's all life too...

You should really read the article. Apparently it detects life on a cellular level, i.e. it detects the presence of cells by a specific vibration they produce. Apparently all cells do it, although admitedly they have not tested it that extensively.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 31, 2014, 02:47 InBlack

TheVocalMinority wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 02:27:
Suppa7 wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 16:44:
Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:54:
Well stop fucking using social media than and problem solved. Honestly, the way people go on about this shit when there's an such an obvious solution.

People are not free, nor rational. The human mind didn't evolve based on the idea of free choice or free market theory. The human brain simply doesn't work like this. Our society is organized around the philosophical basis that human beings are "free" to "decide" when the evidence is overwhelming in the other camp: That human beings are not free and the whole idea of responsibility is flawed.

I'm really curious about the experience of living with this kind of belief system. Do you get up in the morning and wander through your day with no concept that you are the source of the actions of your body? Are your actions essentially random or deterministically dictated by the world around you? Do you ever deliberate on any topic or possible course of action?

It strikes me largely as a philosophical/political position rather than something rational (although I do like that part of this is the claim that people are not rational as it sets up a very nice paradox). I don't believe the claim of their being evidence of "free will" not existing is really defensible when the concept itself is not particularly well defined, even if a team of neuroscientist have managed to predict, with a statistically signification degree of certainty, the arbitrary action that a person with their head stuck in an nMRI machine will make before the self report of that decision is made (which I think is what your "overwhelming evidence" consists of).

You are oversimplifying. Which Suppa is guilty of too admitedly. The point is that our idea of 'self' is an illusion or rather its something that is very fluid. We do deliberate internaly, we can philosophise and we do have intelligence. It's just that when we do these things we do not really understand our motivations for doing them. Please dont confuse this with choice, we can and frequently do choose but the question is WHY one choice over another. This is much more murkier territory and a very interesting subject in neuroscience.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
12. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 31, 2014, 02:31 InBlack

*cough* *clears throat*

Ahem. Told you so. Ha!

News Comments > Diablo III Season One End Nears
4. Re: Diablo III Season One End Nears Dec 31, 2014, 02:13 InBlack

Does not even come close to the ladder play of D2. What a waste *sigh*  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 30, 2014, 08:44 InBlack

The more Im playing Elite Dangerous, the less I appreciate the flight model. Its simply put, lacking.

Biggest culprit: Strange physics with regards to the roll and turn rate.

I simply cant accept that rolling and turning is somehow dependant on your 'speed' something that makes absolutely no sense from a Newtonian (or any other) physical theory of motion.

For some reasons all the ships turn best when they are at about 50-60% of their max 'speed'. There is no physical basis in reality for this. Its the biggest peeve Ive had about ED: Dangerous so far, there are others but this needs to be corrected.

Simply put this is how it should be, bigger more massive ships turn and roll slower than smaller less massive ships. End of story. Im going to go post this on the ED forums right now!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 30, 2014, 02:59 InBlack

PropheT wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 01:12:
Veterator wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 00:01:
A lot of things are simply too expensive to fix.

That's sadly the truth. I can fix practically anything I get my hands on provided I have the parts, but more often than not it's either not worth it or the parts aren't available.

The dishwasher was a good example, since I have a dead one right now that I could probably fix but can't get parts for (it's not that old, either). My furnace needed work at the beginning of winter, but I couldn't fix that because if I did the power company wouldn't service it anymore... I wound up fixing that one anyway since it was an electrical issue, and they would have just replaced everything.

I wonder how much of it is that a younger generation isn't able to fix things, or just can't because shit's not designed for it anymore or has so many warranty/legal hoops that you can't get parts or service done even if you did crack it open.

People also forget how our consumer society is built. Things are not built to last or get repaired anymore. Look at cars. Cars are nowhere as solidly or well built as they used to be. That is on purpose. Our economy is built on spending cash on useless shit that is supposed to break down and die, so we can buy new useless shit.

Most kids these days cant think without turning on their cell phone or PC, so its no wonder that they cant spell let alone fix shit. But thats ok, they are not supposed to.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Gender Assumptions Dec 30, 2014, 02:57 InBlack

cento wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 22:33:
Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 22:10:
It's a fair assumption because most of them are. Just like most chefs are men. There's noting sexist in it as it's a safe assumption and no one is saying women are incapable of being professors so stick that SJW BS up your ass or go be offended with the rest of the clowns on a site like Polygon.

And it is still clear you comment on articles without actually reading them.

Not that that is surprising.

Hahahha. Busted!

News Comments > Red Goddess Trailer
3. Re: Red Goddess Trailer Dec 30, 2014, 02:55 InBlack

Wildone wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 19:23:
Pretty fugly for a 'goddess'

Yeah we all know that drawing pretty female characters in games is sexist and misogynist. Just look at Super Mario! Rolleyes

News Comments > Talos Principle Punishes Pirates
3. Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 09:40 InBlack

Overon wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 09:33:
The game has to detect that are you are using some pirated software. Why wouldn't people who bypass copy protection bypass this too?

They are well aware that it will get cracked at some point. Still, its not a bad way to implement DRM. It gives them some more publicity and shows that they have a sense of humour to go along with it.

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Dec 29, 2014, 02:31 InBlack

panbient wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 08:16:
Would you boycott the Star Wars X-Wing / Tie Fighter games because they require a joystick?

No. I would buy a joystick. I did buy a joystick.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 24, 2014, 05:53 InBlack

From what Ive seen of Destiny, it looks a lot like a stylish Sci-Fi version of Hellgate London, with less content and all the pain of a console shooter. Ugh....  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2014, 10:00 InBlack

nin wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 09:52:

The Dominant Life Form in the Cosmos Is Probably Superintelligent Robots.

Oh yeah, this'll end well for us!

Makes sense though. Intelligent biological life will eventually try to overcome natural selection (as well as ultimately death itself) and in the process create new technological life which is ultimately much more suited to the hazard of living in our Cosmos. I hope to live to see the day we create a fully functional AI.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2014, 09:53 InBlack

Yeah happy holidays for those who celebrate, also a very happy new year to everyone. I hope you are all safe, healthy and not hungry.

It's a little premature I guess, but its better early than never

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
71. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 23, 2014, 04:10 InBlack

It's pointless. You will never get through to these fanatics, some of them are posting that they recieved more fun out of following and supporting this project than actually, you know, playing games. Ahem. Okaaay. Makes sense though, you would have to be in denial to actually not see all the problems some of us have repeatedly listed in these threads.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2014, 02:24 InBlack

PHJF wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 15:41:
Saw Birdman yesterday... it's the best movie I've seen in several years. Every aspect was just phenomenal.

Been meaning to see that. Unfortunately I doubt it will ever appear at any of my local cinemas, its too arthouse for that.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
22. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 23, 2014, 02:21 InBlack

KS wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 13:05:
It's questionable whether they actually tested a nuke successfully, or just detonated a massive pile of TNT with some uranium on it to fake out sensors. Note it would be in the US' interest to presume publicly it was true regardless of what they actually knew.

What is this ACME Science class 101? Christ, do you really think the South Korean military isnt watching every single one of those underground experiments very closely? They have nukes. They have even figured out the type and megatonnage of the tested weapons. They even know the approximate stockpile size of their nuclear fuel.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2014, 09:38 InBlack

nin wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 09:16:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 09:08:
wtf? IGN did their best of 2014, they put in Sunset Overdrive and no mention of Mordor!? One of the many reasons I don't go to their site.

But did they include Wolfenstein: The New Order? It barely edges out Mordor as my GOTY.

Will definitely have to check out Wolfenstein at some point.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 22, 2014, 09:37 InBlack

Funny and sad at the same time.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 22, 2014, 09:35 InBlack

Julio wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 09:32:
Thanks North Korea, can't beat free!

7901 Comments. 396 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo