Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 6677 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD: Battlefield 4 "Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle
59. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 9, 2014, 08:10 InBlack

I dont see how ATI trying to up the ante by bringing another API to the table so that developers have the option to develop on it is somehow inducive of the sky falling or some such catastrophe??

Do a little research people before throwing feces around. This isnt PhysX, this isnt simply a driver update. Its a whole diferent API which is supposed to circumvent the bloated fuckshow slowass piece of shit which is DirectX.

Sure it might all be a bag of cocks for all we know, but at least the option is on the table and developers can choose to support it or not.

*disclaimer* I own an Nvidia card just in case anyone wants to accuse me of fanboism...

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2014, 06:26 InBlack

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 23:33:
mag wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 22:57:
nin wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 21:33:

Sony may say the PS4's early sales lead over the Xbox One isn't a big deal, but looking at the past console generation its likely a sign of the PS4 outselling the Xbox One comfortably if not considerably once this generation is over.

If the past is any indication of the future, considering the PS3 was released 1 year after the Xbox 360 (Nov 2006 vs Nov 2005) yet today they're both sitting on about 80 million sales, things are looking very good for Sony this time round with the consoles released at about the same time yet the PS4 is already ahead by a noteworthy amount (4.2 vs 3.0 million, Xbox One is only at 70% of PS4 sales).

I hope you're right, but it's only been two months.

The one ace Sony has in their sleeve right now is Japan, which goes live next month. That will be a nice boost for them, and it's an area MS has yet to get a decent foothold in.

The PS4 hasn't released in Japan yet? Holy crap, I had no idea.

I'm surprised to learn that too, I would have thought Japan would get it first. Do their Japanese customers not feel pissed off, or do they have no choice? Maybe they're getting Xbones and MS will dominate Japan while Sony dominates the US.

Its about stock availability. Launching in the US first allowed them to launch earlier and to compete in Microsoft's home turf. Launching simultaneously in the US and Japan is a no go, because there would have been severe stock shortages. Had they delayed the launch or launched in Japan first they would have lost out to the Xbone in the US market which would have been history repeating itself from the last generation launch. This is Sony's best launch yet, very smart and very well done.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
62. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 9, 2014, 04:15 InBlack

Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 17:21:
Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 15:59:
Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:09:
InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:16:
Do the games really have to run at 60 FPS per eye for the Virtual Reality 'trick' to kick in?
Yes, if you don't want the image to smear as you're moving. And it will most likely be 90fps.

See how blurry this moving image is?
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0
On a low persistence display, this image is just as sharp when it is moving as it it when it is still. That means you'll get a double image whenever you miss a frame.

That's refresh rate, not frame rate. If the display could output at 240hz but was only getting 60 FPS, it could repeat each frame 4 times. That's not perfect, but it wouldn't look blurry.

I think? I'm not 100% sure so this is more of a question than a disagreement.
When your eye is tracking an image moving at 960 pixels/second, and the screen displays each frame for 16.7ms, the motion of your eyes adds 16 pixels of blur. With a low-persistence display, each frame is only shown for something like 1ms, and there is darkness until the next refresh. In this case, your eyes only add 1 pixel of motion blur. If the same image is shown twice on a low persistence display because of a low framerate, you'll get a double image. On a full-persistence display, you just get a longer blur.

Blur is caused by the duration that each frame is shown, not the refresh rate.

Here's a really good blog about it from Michael Abrash:
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

Please correct me if Im wrong but isnt the duration that each frame is shown = to the refresh rate?? I.E. a 60 Hz screen updates the screen sixty times per second. A 120Hz screen updates the screen 120 times per second. etc. etc.

I just read the blog and because the zero persistance displays only show pixels at 2 ms or less (like old CRT monitors) which is why blur or smearing or judder is reduced to low levels at reasonable refresh rates.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2014, 04:24.

News Comments > Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum
12. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 10:06 InBlack

Razumen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:46:
InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:31:
Razumen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:14:
Necrophob wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:58:
6vs6 is going to be EPIC!
This game is on the wait and see list. The more details they release the less excited I get about it.

6 vs 6? It's so weird. Back in the early 2000's, I didn't play as many games or follow what was going on, due to college, but I seem to recall games supporting more and more players in multiplayer. At what point did the gaming world get hit by a massive meteor, wiping out all the progress that was made?

Not every game needs a bigger and bigger player count. Sometimes less is more.

Especially if you want to save and make money. You know, make smaller levels, less poly count (So it can run on the shitboxes) and hell then you can even call it a feature!

No, it's easier to design a game that requires tight teamwork with less players than one with too many - just look at Battlefield. This has nothing to do with the performance of the console.

Exactly my point. Easier and cheaper.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 8, 2014, 10:04 InBlack

WaltC wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:58:
Please don't tell me you believed that moronic NSA article. It was written by a moron. How many times must it be drummed into people's heads that just because it's published on the Internet does not mean that it is true, or even rational, for goodness' sake.

Yea, we live in an age in which people cherish profit--especially the profit coming from page hits generated by an article so full of speculation and rubbish that it would play much better as a skit on Saturday Night Live. Enter the gullible Internet reader who believes everything he reads. Unreal. If someone wrote a "factual" article explaining how Obama turns into a coyote every night and howls at the moon and raids garbage cans until sunup--sure enough, someone reading it would believe it.

Im not sure I follow. What is your point? That the Wired article is mostly moronic douchebag drivel that panders to the 'poor' tech companies while painting the big bad wolf government as evil? Im not sure anyone is in disagreement here.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 8, 2014, 09:37 InBlack

Shiiit. We live in a culture that promotes and cherishes the making of profit over nearly everything else there is. "Its not my fault/problem" is the mantra of the age, no one gets blamed, no one gets punished, nothing gets changed. The NSA is a symptom, not the problem.

I find it sweetly ironic that the big corporations who spy on people as a matter of fact are suddenly doing a U-turn when these spying allegations are digging into their bottom line.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 09:44.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2014, 09:33 InBlack

Ill give it a wait then. Dont have much free time to play with myself these days...  

7. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 09:31 InBlack

Razumen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:14:
Necrophob wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:13:
This game is on the wait and see list. The more details they release the less excited I get about it.

6 vs 6? It's so weird. Back in the early 2000's, I didn't play as many games or follow what was going on, due to college, but I seem to recall games supporting more and more players in multiplayer. At what point did the gaming world get hit by a massive meteor, wiping out all the progress that was made?

Not every game needs a bigger and bigger player count. Sometimes less is more.

Especially if you want to save and make money. You know, make smaller levels, less poly count (So it can run on the shitboxes) and hell then you can even call it a feature!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2014, 09:21 InBlack

Frans, thanks for keeping this site running despite Blue's attempt to drive it into the curb at every opportunity.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2014, 09:14 InBlack

So....any news on when I can download and install the SteamOS on my PC?  

3. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 09:12 InBlack

Yeah. *insert Jean Luc Picard double facepalm here*

47. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 08:16 InBlack

I get what you are talking about, but you are talking about an optimal frame rate. Very few games today run at these rates on our 'normal' 2d monitors. Do the games really have to run at 60 FPS per eye for the Virtual Reality 'trick' to kick in? As far as I know games on a standard screen play and look okay from 25 frames and upwards.

Basically you need to render two images instead of one per pass, so at the worst we will need double the graphics power for the same resolution that we used to on our normal monitors.

Ive got a 760 GTX Im pretty happy with right now, another one in SLI mode might do the trick when the Oculus shows its ugly face. If it isnt, Im going to be happy to upgrade to whatever will be required. There is no reason to think that Nvidia and AMD wont be up to the challenge presented by doubling the power requirement.

41. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 06:40 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 05:58:
Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:47:
InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:20:
entr0py wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 01:43:
Ah, he side stepped the only thing I care about, resolution. I don't care about how organic and decomposable the display is. I only care that it doesn't look like SVGA graphics from 20 years ago.

This is indeed the biggest issue. The native resolution has to be at least 1080p, anything else and playing sims with this gear will be impossible. Well not impossible, but fucked up all the same. If I cant read the gauges in my cockpit or see the bogey out of my cockpit I might as well be flying blindfolded...
They've already confirmed that the consumer display will be at least 1080P. That will still seem very pixelated in a Rift. 1440P phone screens should be coming this year, and Samsung has said that they are working on a 4k phone display for 2015.

I think it's pretty funny you guys are focusing on resolution, forgetting you want to play games on that thing. The problem is not resolution, the problem is you need to run games at 120*2 fps because you have 2 viewpoints. There may be optimization possible but even then, you are looking at a massive new GPU investment to ever run a game on the rift "optimal". You can pray to the seven hardware gods that the resolution won't increase. Because beyond 1080p no GPU on this planet runs a modern game at 120fps.... and that's assuming you want 60fps per eye.. and not 120 as it is optimal.

What the hell are you talking about? Are you talking about the frames per second or the refresh rate? Because these are not equivalent.

The refresh rate of 120Hz is a function of the screen and not really tied to the performance of the graphics card.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Russia Orders Drop 'Pirate' Jan 8, 2014, 04:04 InBlack

Russia leaves a lot to be desired in regards to personal liberties and freedoms but you gotta hand it to Putin. That motherfucker knows exactly what he is doing. Unlike most of the western democracies which are falling assbackwards over themselves trying to cater to the interests of the huge corporations and the greedy 0.1% and letting the wellbeing of their citizens slide into the mud as a result, in Russia the interests of the state and its citizens clearly come first. Watched a really great german documentary about him and was surprised by how open and frank the guy really is. (At least about his politics) The documentary is called "I Putin" I believe, cant recommend it enough.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 04:30.

34. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 03:20 InBlack

entr0py wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 01:43:
Ah, he side stepped the only thing I care about, resolution. I don't care about how organic and decomposable the display is. I only care that it doesn't look like SVGA graphics from 20 years ago.

This is indeed the biggest issue. The native resolution has to be at least 1080p, anything else and playing sims with this gear will be impossible. Well not impossible, but fucked up all the same. If I cant read the gauges in my cockpit or see the bogey out of my cockpit I might as well be flying blindfolded...

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Announced
42. Re: Alien: Isolation Revealed Jan 7, 2014, 18:10 InBlack

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 18:03:
Krovven wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 17:41:
TangledThorns wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:40:
Looks promising but so did Colonial Marines. That being said, 20th Century Fox should sue Gearbox for damaging the ALIEN franchise.

And who is going to sue Fox for damaging the Alien franchise with Aliens 4, AvP and AvP2 movies?

For me it's Alien and Aliens and then the series was done. Same with Terminator.

Besides, after Aliens more than half of all sci-fi movie pitches started out with "It's like Aliens, but..."

Just like Die Hard did with action films.

Unfortunately, most of those pitches should have ended with "...but it sucks."

It's like Die Hard, except it's on a boat, and the main character is a woman, and...IT SUCKS!

Well, OK, most of the Aliens ones are more like:

It's like Aliens, except it takes plac eon this other planet, and a ship, and it has these creatures, and these guys with guns...no, wait, you're right, it's pretty much Aliens...but it SUCKS!

Agreed. The first AvP game though was fucking excellent. Too bad that the movie was a PG13 cashgrab piece of shit...

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
32. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 14:58 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:27:
Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:55:
Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:57:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

I don't really care what they use but they need to hire better animators and someone needs to revisit the combat engine. Loved Skyrim but those aspects are really showing their age.

You know, when everyone complained about the combat in Skyrim, I kind of shrugged, because it felt good to me in Oblivion.

When I finally got Skyrim I had to agree - it felt dated. In the time between Oblivion and Skyrim something changed.

I'd love to see them fix it. I don't care as much about the animation (though there's absolutely room for improvement), but combat needs an overhaul. I can't think of any obvious changes, but I'm guessing they'll find plenty.

Look into graphic upgrades and fixes. I posted a bunch of them in the Skyrim thread in the forum. Pure Waters, Static Mesh Improvement, Climates of Tamriel, Realistic Lighting Overhaul, etc. Those will turn Skyrim into a sexy beast. Friggin' night and day difference with mods like those installed.

Currently playing with all that and then some. Using a BNC too. Game looks fucking awesome, and I had a few days of fun modding the shit out of it too...

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 15:07.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Announced
25. Re: Alien: Isolation Announced Jan 7, 2014, 14:55 InBlack

DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:23:

Hopefully extremely light on the quick-time-events.

Sweet lord, hear our prayer!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2014, 11:01 InBlack

Prez wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:37:
Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:30:
What is the gist of his visits there? I haven't been paying attention to that story at all. Drawing attention to the appalling living conditions or just making headlines for the hell of it?

I THINK he fancies himself some sort of diplomat, making inroads to possible future relations between the US and Korea, but who can know for sure with a guy like Rodman?

This. Its Rodman, so ego before anything else I would guess. Also on a side-note relations between N.Korea and the US ever being anything more than ice frigid would be a paradox of a cosmic scale.

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M
5. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 10:52 InBlack

Wildone wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:38:
There's lots of people in the SC who actively DO NOT WANT OR CARE about the Dogfighting/Space Combat! I MEAN WTF this is supposed to be a space combat game at its core?!? Elite Dangerous is already skooling SC becus they are focused on the core gameplay. Sure other stuff will come LATER but at least they got this right from the start. SC is gonna suffer because of the weird fan boy wants of SC

Thats only because you're assuming SC will get released at some point.

6677 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo