Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 7643 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2014, 09:39 InBlack

Ok that "Free Will..." article is just clickbait, oh and its bullshit. The so called 'study' is barely touched upon and doesnt really say anything about the metaphysical free will, other than that our brains determine our behaviour depending on the sensory input. Well, DUH!! Angry  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 22, 2014, 09:33 InBlack

Heh  

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
2. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 09:33 InBlack

Okay, can someone please explain whether this game was indeed crowdfunded or was funded through traditional means, but only released as an early access title???  

News Comments > PC GTA5 First-Person Support?
2. Re: PC GTA5 First-Person Support? Sep 22, 2014, 09:30 InBlack

Id say that the removal of the confirmation, as well as the cached version says a lot more about the announcement than the actual content of the announcement. They might be tinkering with the idea and concept, but that doesn't gurantee that it will be ready for release, or indeed even that it will ever be officially supported.  

News Comments > Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
52. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 22, 2014, 08:04 InBlack

Prez wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 04:58:
Do you? Where does it say on Steam that Early Access games have to be finished? No really, i want to know

No. How would they define "finished"? DayZ still isn't finished but it has sold a ton. I think in both kickstarter and Early Access the only obligation to "finish" the project is an ethical one. Double Fine "finished" Space Base DF-9 by labeling the last release 1.0. The community by and large disagrees that it is finished, but there isn't anything they can do except not back DF in the future.

Actually in most 'early access' cases that's not entirely true. A Kickstarter or rather more generally speaking a crowd funded game is one where the backers should understand the risk that the game might never be completed. An 'early access' game on the other hand doesnt necessarily mean it was crowd funded. Most developers do 'early access' for a variety of reasons, not all of them financial, also most developers do have contracts and financing all worked out with their publishers, and they still do early access. (Mostly for testing purposes, although the extra cash I guess is nice) Two examples of two recent games that did this: IL2:BOS and Starpoint Gemini 2.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 22, 2014, 07:58 InBlack

Fuckers. Never gonna save up for anything with you guys....

Gonna bite the bullet and get Wasteland2 on GOG tonight. Since Im a fallout2 fan through and through I guess it should have been a no-brainer anyway....

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2014, 04:07 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 00:41:
Watching ep 1 of True Detective. Love McCon. Love Harrelson . This show was made for me. Wow.

Perpare to be blown away as the episodes keep rolling. True Detective is some of the best TV ever made.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2014, 04:06 InBlack

PHJF wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 21:59:
It's Clive Owen and Steven Soderbergh, of course I watch it. And that MUSIC!

I was going to tune in to this series but Im kind weird about TV series, I require at least one season of a series to be complete before I start watching. (And out on DVD or Bluray of course)

News Comments > New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk
23. Re: New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk Sep 22, 2014, 03:05 InBlack

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 22:54:
PHJF wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 22:30:
Is there an ultimate goal for Rift before release or are they just winging it until they decide it's good enough?

The "ultimate" goals are:

- Higher image quality and resolutions. Since it is all per eye you're basically talking 4K if you wanted 1080p per eye. The only way to get a playable experience at such high resolutions is SLI/Xfire.
- Reduce latency (nVidia is working on a SLI tech that will massively reduce lag when each GPU will render per eye instead of AFR as in 2D mode - AMD is probably working on something similar for Xfire as always but I haven't heard of it yet).
- Reduce motion sickness which kind of goes hand in hand with the latency reduction but they are also working on other features such as head movement prediction
- Finally do all of the above without making the costs explode

In spite of the impressive concepts, they still have a long ways to go before this becomes a general consumer item.
They would be very well advised to not release anything half-assed as a consumer version because "virtual reality" just like "3D" (monitors and TVs) is one of those things that keeps popping up as a buzzword and then disappears into oblivion due to poor implementations.
If they want VR to be taken serious ever again, they have this one shot to get it right.
They need to release a quality product with at least one "killer app" at an attractive price point and it ideally needs to work on mid level PCs without SLI/Xfire, too.
It is an extremely challenging task and that's why I believe Carmack is there doing what he does. He's the kind of guy who lives and breathes challenges.

I agree with most of this. However there are already 'apps' or rather games out there that can and will support the Rift fully when it ships. The real question is at what performance costs. Right now I have a GTX760 4GBVRAM in my rig and for what its worth it runs everything I throw at it at 1080p without any problems. I assume that when the CV version ships Im going to need to upgrade to at least another GTX760 so I can run SLI, but SLI was never really well supported in most of the mainstream stuff out there. Somehow I think that we are all going to be upgrading if we want to get this to work properly with our games of choice and that could be quite a costly problem...

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Sep 19, 2014, 09:38 InBlack

Feels like I bought my GTX760 like yesterday...now its two generations behind??

Sheeet....

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2014, 05:23 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 05:10:
The problem is that there's never a perfect case. Ever. Cases are overturned. Guilty are determined to be innocent. You can let the unjustly imprisoned free, but you can't undo a death penalty.

And look at the botched executions OK and AZ. Nothing is more cruel and unusual than that.

Never mind that the death penalty is unequally applied to minorities.

Nor does it have any deterrent effect vs. life in prison.

It's a stupid, expensive, ineffective punishment that leaves no room for error.

Im mostly in agreement with you jdreyer on this. Too many innocently convicted people end up on death row. But there is something to be said for open and shut cases like this. I think the system needs to be completely overhauled, the sentence should be passed at the end of the trial, just like the verdict, (and it should not depend on the plea) not beforehand and it should depend on the evidence as much as the verdict.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 19, 2014, 05:16 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 23:31:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 22:20:
Still would pay 60 bucks for updated graphical version of Jedi Knight Outcast or Academy.

I would pay $60 for updated graphical version of Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.

*sigh*

Same. Worried

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $53M
48. Re: Star Citizen Passes $53M Sep 19, 2014, 03:46 InBlack

Hellgate london was actually a pretty good game. It was a great aRPG, better than Diablo3 in any case, it just wasnt MARKETED as one, and the developers got greedy. If they had dropped the subscription fees and concentrated on improving the core game, people would still be playing it today...sad.

I wouldnt compare Starcitizen to anything at this point, except maybe Duke Nukem Forever like 10 years ago. All they need is a game engine change mid development and we are set to go....

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 03:10 InBlack

ASeven wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 02:47:
More emails from that bloggers group have been released.

Who here hasn't slept with a PR person or game developer? #AMIRITE
William O'Neal, editor-in-chief, TechRadar.com

Ok this is the first proper article Ive read on the entire fucking issue. I dont agree with all that's said but at least they have demonstrated an unusual degree of profesionalism. (Unusual compared to the rest of the drivel out there)

I hope Blue includes it in the next Op. Ed. section tomorrow/today...or at least links to it somewhere.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2014, 03:32.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2014, 03:04 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 19:19:
Well, they're just reporting what a couple of people said. This is a typical he-said-she-said story with no research involved.

And right there you nailed it, right on the head. This is the problem we keep coming back to with this whole thing. No one checks whether any of these claims even check out. Has anyone read, is there a police report of Anita Sarkassian's complaint? There should be one, and it should be a matter of public record, or am I wrong about this?
These death threats are 'anonymous' in a way, but all these people need handles or nicks or accounts. It shouldnt be too complicated to get some figures on how many people are actually doing the harrasing. I just hate blanket statements like "male gaming culture" or shit like that. To me this is sexism in and of itself.

News Comments > HELL Announced
6. Re: HELL Announced Sep 19, 2014, 02:55 InBlack

Fletch wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 18:07:
Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 16:28:
No. Using hell as a description of something unpleasant is one thing, using as a name for a title implies it should be focused on the actual place. If I make a game titled Valhalla, you'd probably figure it would relate to, you know, Valhalla itself.

My point was that they may not mean it as a specific place. More like "war is hell", or, "I never want to go through that hell again". Take the word heaven; "we stayed at a cottage on the beach that was absolute heaven". It may simply be a description of the conditions in the gameworld, and not an actual place.

Then again, how do you know that Hell doesn't have trees and flowers and villages with cobblestone streets?

Exactly, for all we know that could be the point or a story element in the game.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2014, 10:02 InBlack

I just want to make a small point, that I have nothing against the discussion of sexism in gaming and nothing against decent articles related to all that happened with regards to #gamergate, Zoe Quinn, or Anita Sarkassian.

What I DO have a problem with is that no one is even remotely approaching this problem from a rational or professional perspective. No one is investigating any of the claims made, they seem to be all taken as facts as is. Case in point -> read the article above.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 09:58 InBlack

Great story on that Soviet mission...  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2014, 09:44 InBlack

Oh God. Another article on this again. They touched on all the points without explaining anything really (I dig the comment by the anonymous dude who fears backlash that makes no fucking sense at all)and then completely shit all over the whole gaming community, despite stating previously that the trolls are 'probably' in the minority.

The Nazis did it. There I invoked Godwin's law. Thread closed.

News Comments > HELL Announced
1. Re: HELL Announced Sep 18, 2014, 09:38 InBlack

Been itching for a decent turn based strat game lately, this looks interesting. Will also be keeping an eye out for Civ in Space or whatever its called.  

7643 Comments. 383 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo