Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 9640 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues
15. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 1, 2015, 15:21 InBlack

Im confused, some people have mentioned a 30FPS hardlock, others 60FPS, which is it?  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront 40-Player Battle Shown
31. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 40 Player Battle Shown Dec 1, 2015, 09:03 InBlack

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 08:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 22:38:
Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 21:42:
it's almost 2016 and online FPS devs are still struggling with # of players? Every 3d game wihether it be pve or pvp should have no problem supporting hundreds of npc and pcs with very minimal lag. the tech has been there for years now so use it!

What "tech has been there for years" to eliminate lag? Gaming is a global affair. Publishers can't really choose their audience and they can't economically offer servers for every single geographical region.
So you end up with broadband people physically close to the game servers who ping in at <20ms and then you have some maggot from Bumfuck, OH on LTE pinging in at 250+ms.

Due to the complexity of modern game engines, the advancements in 3D tech have actually had a detrimental effect as you can see by the lower player numbers than a decade ago because there is much more data that needs to be processed, checked and updated in "real-time"... well, or as close as you can get to that with the 200ms maggot.

This is not an issue of CPU/GPU processing power at all but an issue of not being able to predict latency. You need to get data from A to B and back to A while also calculating what C, D, E, F, G... and so on are doing at the same time.
This is a physical limitation of online. There is no tech to work around those limitations except hooking up every single gamer home with fibre but even then there'd still be limits to what you can do.

If only there was some way where players could see their latency to a server, and then pick which server they want to play on based on that latency.

We could call it... I dunno, like a server picker!

Hahhah, bravo! Golfclap

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: A Car Dealers Won’t Sell: It’s Electric Dec 1, 2015, 08:00 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 07:29:
Well.. they could make these cars actually affordable... and invent a battery that can last for 30 years.. and not just 5 ?

They are working on that. The upcoming Tesla 3 model, will cost half as much as the Tesla S. Musk has stated that his goal is to ultimately make electric cars as affordable and efficient as possible. As far as battery retention/price/power is concerned, Tesla is in the process of building the biggest battery factory in the world. Tesla also guarantees free recharges at all of its recharge stations. Musk is a smart guy, and unlike most entrepreneurs today, he seems to care a lot about things other than profit.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: A Car Dealers Won’t Sell: It’s Electric Dec 1, 2015, 07:17 InBlack

One other thing to consider. Mechanical breakdown and failure. Pretty much any component in today's built Teslas can be replaced, and fairly cheaply at that. (Except for the battery, which I believe is probably the most expensive part of the car). Additionally, there are very few moving mechanical parts to break down in the first place, and the types of electric motors that Tesla is using now are an order of magnitude simpler than the 'modern' diesel or gasoline engine. Tesla's biggest problem in the future will be how to sell NEW models to existing Tesla owners.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 1, 2015, 03:54 InBlack

Corporate Drones, and the National Rifle Association. What could go possibly wrong?

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2015, 06:56.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2015, 03:45 InBlack

Only people who've never lived anywhere else could believe that the US is a police state. It's not. It's on its way to becoming one, and will get there when good people stand aside and do nothing, but at the moment it still isn't. Do something about it.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Dec 1, 2015, 03:43 InBlack

Frijoles wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 23:37:
If they are the same, it's because Beth was lazy and reused assets.

Heh. This. On an aditional note someone should go and burn all copies of the Gamebyro engine source code, then format all the computers at Bethsoft. Getting rid of that piece of shit engine would be the best thing to happen to them. Ever.

News Comments > Evening Patches
4. Re: Evening Patches Dec 1, 2015, 03:40 InBlack

Downloading as we speak. (While I am at work). Looking forward to trying it out, but gotta remember it's only an Alpha. Going to intall FC3 first, then the Albatros and take it from there.

My speeds ranged from 0.6MB/s to 1.2 MB/s and sometimes they dip as low as 200 Kb/s.

Did you have a chance to try out the ATC, is it the same shitty ATC from 1.2.X and 1.5 or did they finally throw in some improvements?

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront 40-Player Battle Shown
25. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 40 Player Battle Shown Dec 1, 2015, 03:36 InBlack

Kxmode wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 02:08:
NotOneOfUs wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 20:11:
Forty players, eh? Keep it up, and we might reach 1998!

That's significant when you factor in the level of fidelity in Star Wars Battlefront. People are playing in 4K native resolution over Broadband. That's gotta be murder on the SWBF servers.

Not sure if you are joking or what. net latency should have no, absolutely no connection to the rendering engine. If it does, you are programming it wrong. CJ is wrong, graphical fidelity has nothing to do with the low player counts of recent years, the reason is and always will be MONEY! It costs a shitload of money to do this right, and why do it right when you can do it cheap.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 30, 2015, 08:27 InBlack

How can you LOVE the original ED and hate this new one? It's basically the same game, with updated graphics? (Which was exactly what was pitched, minus the offline play)  

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 30, 2015, 08:02 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 07:52:

The PTU which isn't even in proper Alpha yet has more gameplay, ships and features than the entirety of ED though... ^^

Really?? So in the PTU you can dock with different space stations, mine and refine asteroids, trade all sorts of commodities, engage in missions for different corporations and navies, hunt pirates, become a pirate, do astronomical surveys and establish trade routes and more??

Yeah Im gonna go ahead and call your comparison to that other game pure hyperbole, although another word comes to mind that would be more accurate.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2015, 02:50 InBlack

PHJF wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 21:38:
Did a Skylake build this weekend. Went with a Gigabyte board that had a lot of options for the $170 price, but it was DOA with a memory detect error. Replaced with an EVGA that ended up being a little sorry looking on paper but at least it works. It doesn't have ANY USB2 headers (just two on the rear panel), so the old HAF case's front panel USB is worthless. The new Samsung 850 SSD was also too cool to come with a fucking 3.5" bay adapter, something which not surprisingly is sold in virtually no stores.

But the real icing on the cake was this gem: Intel's new z170 chipset does away with EHCI support... which means Windows 7 install will not recognize USB input devices. The Gigabyte that was DOA featured a combo PS2 port that would have gotten around this. The EVGA does not. I guess ASUS z170 boards came with an EHCI bios option that would allow Win7 installs, but EVGA didn't. Turns out a BIOS update is REQUIRED to add a "Windows 7 Installation" option for the sole purpose of adding USB input detection. Except I can't use the hard drive's Win7 install to DOWNLOAD new bios because win7 restore WON'T DETECT THE FUCKIN USB INPUT DEVICES.

So at this point I don't have access to another computer with which to download bios. I have a couple of worthless tablets on hand which I've been finding why the fuck the input devices aren't working. So rather than entirely break down this new build, replace it with old hardware, download the BIOS update to a thumbdrive, and then reinstall the new build, I Frankenstein-rig the old board/cpu to the installed PSU and hold the old heatsink to the thing while the guy whose computer we're building hurriedly accesses his old Win install to get the new BIOS.

So we get the new BIOS installed, tick "Windows 7 Installation" in the BIOS, and can finally fucking install. And it's a good thing we had the Win7 disc handy because guess what you can't fucking install Win7 via USB anymore, either. I've had my share of quirks in computer building before but this takes the taco.

Stay classy Intel! Im sick of these companies doing everything in their power to fuck over the little guy just so they can sell their 'latest' product... Really no EHCI support? Despicable...

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 30, 2015, 02:39 InBlack

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 00:56:
That the $15 version of Elite: Dangerous is now outdated and they're charging $60 for the soon to be released standalone expansion killed any enthusiasm I had for that discount real quick. They're calling it the new "season" of content updates, implying there's going to be a new $60 expansion next year, and so on...

Well that other space game project thingy, is selling .jpeg images of virtual space ships for thousands of dollars, and they are not even in the game yet. Compared to that this is a pretty sweet deal...

News Comments > DOOM MP Alpha This Week
9. Re: DOOM MP Alpha This Week Nov 30, 2015, 02:35 InBlack

It's an alpha for fuck's sake. If you didn't like it for whatever reason, go to id's forums and give em some feedback along those lines. I'm not really interested in the multiplayer, since my twitch shooter days are kind of past me, but the single player portion they showed had some promise.  

News Comments > Black Friday Tech Bits
4. Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 27, 2015, 16:27 InBlack

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 16:00:
Win 7 freefalling... From 65% market all the way down to 64.2%. Oh noes.

Huge sharp drop that.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2015, 11:07 InBlack

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 10:05:
InBlack wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 05:42:
I just finished reading the fifth book the series is based on. One of the best space operas I've read in the last decade. Great, great series. Highly recommended for you SciFi bookworms out there....
Hmmm, I'm always looking for good SciFi. Someone on this forum put me onto the Commonweatlh series by Peter Hamilton which I enjoyed. On the wiki page I see five finished books and another due in 2016, is there an end in sight? I prefer to wait until the series is finished before starting. Hence why I refuse to start on the A Song of Ice and Fire, by Martin. Not Sci-Fi, but the same rule applies.

Personally, I highly recommend Iain M. Bank's culture novels. To date the fictional universe I most wish I lived in.

Yep the Culture series rules. The Expanse books are meant to be read in order but it's not a slow developing series like Hamilton's Commonwealth, there is an underlying plot that weaves throughout but generally speaking the books are episodic and the stories can be enjoyed on their own, like for example Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga. Only the last book so far (book 5) sort of ends on a cliffhanger. Im even more picky when it comes to literature then I am with games, so start reading now, you wont regret it

P.S.
Im not surprised they turned this into a series, there are a lot of recurring characters and they are all very well done. Their relationships and development are as important as the story, and closely tie in to the stories and after a while you think of them as friends, even though they are fictional they are that well developed.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2015, 11:15.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2015, 05:42 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 04:10:
Jamil20 wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 14:56:
The Expanse looks interesting.

Full episode on youtube:
https://youtu.be/FvZeQD1Vf2s

Yeah, that was cool. Nice world building: BSG grittiness meets Firefly multiculturality. And a nice story hook to keep you coming back. Definitely want to be watching more of that.

I just finished reading the fifth book the series is based on. One of the best space operas I've read in the last decade. Great, great series. Highly recommended for you SciFi bookworms out there....

Hey, what's Putin having for Christmas?

Turkey..Ha!..(Too soon?)

News Comments > Steam Fall Sale
40. Re: Steam Fall Sale Nov 27, 2015, 04:19 InBlack

heroin wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 14:03:
Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 11:31:
Satellite Reign has been on my wishlist for a while and is currently on sale for $18. It just received a major patch too, so I picked it up and played it for a few hours last night.

So far seems pretty cool and well worth the buy.

I got a refund on that game after it launched, I wouldn't even buy that game for $5.00. It's completely soulless & bland. The drone camera was cool, the graphics were good but that was about it. There's definitely potential there to be something worth $30-40 but it needs about another 2-3 years of putting cool, interesting shit in it. Otherwise, it's absolutely mind-numbingly boring.

I completely agree with this sentiment. Very let down by that game.

News Comments > System Shock Remake Screenshots
21. Re: System Shock Remake Screenshots Nov 27, 2015, 04:15 InBlack

Zoom wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 03:44:
If you want a 'modern' remake of SS2 that's pretty much Dead Space. The scenario and ending of SS2 are quite grim compared to DS though, but DS adds more personality to the main protagonist.

Apart from the similar setting, Dead Space is nothing like SS2.

News Comments > Thanksgiving Legal Briefs
13. Re: Thanksgiving Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2015, 03:51 InBlack

And when the police ‘‘respond high,’’ residents can become disoriented. Maybe they assume they are being robbed. Maybe they pick up a gun. In 2011, a former Marine and Iraq war veteran named Jose Guerena was awakened by his wife, who thought she saw intruders outside their home in Arizona. Guerena picked up his AR-15 rifle, with the safety on, to protect his wife and family. SWAT officers entered the house, saw the gun and shot Guerena dozens of times, killing him.

SWAT teams should not be first responders. Period. End of story. Everything else is just overkill that can end very badly. Not to mention that it's easy to abuse as a way to get into someone's place of residence without a warrant. Hey, can't get a warrant? Make an anonymous phone call, presto, 20 police officers armed to the teeth on site! Fuck warrants, who needs em right?

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2015, 04:02.

9640 Comments. 482 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo