Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 7794 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer
31. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 07:20 InBlack

How is it false equivalency? Its copyright infringement in both cases isnt it?  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 06:46 InBlack

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 06:13:
Actually, the legal definition of theft is 'the appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it'. Given that copyright infringement does not deprive the copyright owner of said property it is NOT theft, as least from a legal perspective. However, that does not justify it.

Honestly, why would I care about the "legal definition" unless I was a lawyer or on trial? And really what is all this nonsense about semantics? Taking something that you have no right to take is at the heart of the matter, regardless of what you want to call it. All this silliness about semantics is pointless.

Its not just semantics. That is the whole point! It's dangerous to equate these terms becuase they have moral and ethical implications not to mention legal ones. It permeates the mindset until it becomes the same. You for one, Bats and many others are convinced, fucking CONVINCED that stealing is the same as piracy. Dont you see how dangerous that is?

We live in a society that is becoming more and more digitised by the minute. At the same time information has become the new commodity, IPO's, IPs, patents, etc. etc. have become the new currency. Those who hold the currency need to know its secure, and the only way to secure it is to equate it to its real world counterparts. This is to the benefit of the very rich, and to the detriment of the many who would benefit from this information etc.

Let me ask you this, do you think that african countries that produce generic HIV/AIDS medication at 1/100th the price of their patented originals to help their affected population are STEALING?

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 06:51.

24. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 05:53 InBlack

Im not trying to justify it. I am not in any way saying that pirating software is justified, however it's a long way from stealing and I feel sorry for those who do not understand the difference.  

22. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 05:08 InBlack

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 05:02:
InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 03:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 00:46:
Dacron wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 23:44:
From scummy and guilty to entitled. I guess if you change the context you're no longer insulting.

And now to boot I'm such a cheap bastard I bankrupt games.

And with record profits, I'm ruining the system.

I do have much to learn :/

Your justification for why you steal I guess is what helps you sleep at night. Your further attempt to justify it just makes you look pathetic.

Batman aren't you a policeman? You of all people should know the difference between stealing and copyright infringement? Dont mean to be mean, but I have this thing about calling something what it is. Especially when people are talking about terms which carry very serious moral, ethical and philosophial implications.

Has zero to do with police or not. My job has nothing to do with it. If he were to go to court for it, he would lose. Call it what you want, it is theft.

No one wants to call it what it is cause it is easy. If it was hard, it wouldn't happen as much and people wouldn't be so loose about it.

Seriously? Copyright infringement is theft? The penalties for copyright infringement are the same as theft? Im no legal expert or anything but Im pretty sure that no court of law would agree with any of what you just wrote here.
Also sorry for thinking you actually gave a shit about police work. My apologies.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 05:16.

21. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 05:06 InBlack

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 04:57:
Well, according to Dictionary.com, "stealing" is "taking another person's property without permission or legal right", and Meriam Webster defines it as "taking something that does not belong to you in a way that is wrong or illegal". Both definitions fit for copyright infringement, so yeah, it's stealing. I've done it before, so I'm no angel, and I'm not making the case that there are no morally justifiable reasons to do it or every case of it is the same, but it is what it is.

Well you have defined stealing Prez. Congratulations. How does that equate stealing with copyright infringement?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 18, 2014, 04:18 InBlack

China, North Korea and (to an extent) Russia and India have strict government controls over their internet. I dont think it's that far fetched that the US corporations (witht the help of government) are going to want to implement some of that, obviously not out of any ideological or totalitarian reasons, just pure greed.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 04:44.

18. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 03:47 InBlack

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 00:46:
Dacron wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 23:44:
From scummy and guilty to entitled. I guess if you change the context you're no longer insulting.

And now to boot I'm such a cheap bastard I bankrupt games.

And with record profits, I'm ruining the system.

I do have much to learn :/

Your justification for why you steal I guess is what helps you sleep at night. Your further attempt to justify it just makes you look pathetic.

Batman aren't you a policeman? You of all people should know the difference between stealing and copyright infringement? Dont mean to be mean, but I have this thing about calling something what it is. Especially when people are talking about terms which carry very serious moral, ethical and philosophial implications.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer
32. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 03:37 InBlack

Erm, so far it doesnt really sound like a game that will be bringing me to Origin, or back to EA. Creston's UI and control problems sound truly nightmarish.

Most important for me, can you pause in this game and will the commands register properly when you unpause? Can you remove the stupid AI routines and micromanage your party completely? (Baldur's gate FTW).

All Ive seen of this game in online previews was almost Diablo like, stupid action sequences where people were casting a bazillion spells a second and destroying everything in their way Rambo style. Please tell me there is more depth to it??

For the record: I really loved DA:O. I also thought (and still do) that DA2 is probably one of the worst RPGs ever, and there have been quite a few stinkers along the way...

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 03:52.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
229. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 14:50 InBlack

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 13:01:
The only thing that sucks about this decision for me is that, in 10 years, this game will cease to exist. Elite 1,2 & 3 still exist and are playable despite initially being released in 1984.

I think this decision is 100% based on content delivery. The team knows they have a compelling product if they can influence the universe by adding new events and other content.

I think if the team could have a core set of events and mixin server based content, that would work the best. Offline would just work against the core content so it's scope would be greatly reduced, but hopefully DLC's or other upgrades could include the expanded content for local offline users.

My guess is that all of this is too much work and gets away from their core goals which is quite unfortunate.

How long has Eve been running now? 10 Years?

211. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 10:00 InBlack

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 08:31:
I don't think that is the problem. The problem is they are changing fundamental parts of the game that was promised in the kickstarter stage.
To put it simply, what they are delivering isn't the game I've backed at the beginning.
If they've come forward with this news earlier I am pretty sure this wouldn't have been as big of a deal as it is now.
It's like you are funding a single player game that the devs turn into an mmo weeks before it's release.
Nowhere can I find any reference to offline player on the Kickstarter page. All I can find is a reference to being able to play without connecting to the galaxy server but that's different to supporting offline play. The change seems to be that connecting to the galaxy server is now required, which is certainly a change from the original pledge but very different to offline play being removed. Either way, I don't think the KS terms allow for refunds for changes in the course of development.

That said, it doesn't seem like a sensible decision given the inevitable backlash. Regardless of whether or not offline play was ever promised, people thought it was going to be possible and apparently nothing throughout development suggested otherwise.

Do I consider it a big deal? No, but then I'm not backing the game and am happy with SC, a competing title which is based heavily around online play.

Talk about the assbackwardness galore! I for one expect a great single player experience from Star Citizen (Squadron42) while I suspect that Elite: Dangerous will blow away anything that CR and crew think up out of the water with regards to multiplayer. (Since it was always meant to be a player driven game, both in solo and multiplayer)

News Comments > Postal Redux Plans
6. Re: Postal Redux Plans Nov 17, 2014, 09:55 InBlack

JayDeath wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:53:
Hatred looks like it could be much better than a postal remake.

Yeah thats the one I was thinking of.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 17, 2014, 09:53 InBlack

Kajetan wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:42:
InBlack wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:16:
Chris Roberts is a smooth talker though so I don't expect any firebombs in there but Im actually eager to listen to whats said 'in-between the lines'.
Well ... errr ... *cough* just you know... there will be no SP game. Squadron 42 was cancelled last week, because our Persistent Universe is teh new shit and we want everyone hop on boord with it. You know, full blown experience and such.

Now that would well and truly suck. Squadron42 is basically the draw to this game (in my case at least). As for the other multiplayer stuff, somehow I doubt its going to be even close to what Elite: Dangerous will be at the point that this is released (if ever).

207. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 09:41 InBlack

Well just to jump in and say my thing:

I didnt even know that that Braben promised single player solo play (as in not online at all).

There is no way you can have a dynamic single player economy in a galaxy of this size without the AI just plain cheating. This way only players influence the economy and it gets imported into poeple's games (those who want to remain 'solo').

I for one always figured that this game would be lacking a 'game' if it was played solo, so I dont really feel betrayed by any of this. This game would probably be boring as hell in 'solo' mode which is what most people dont even realize.

There is very little PVM (no better acronym damnit) in this game from what I hear. I for one welcome Braben's vision for this game, its a player driven game that might rival EVE Online some day, without the damn spreadsheets.

News Comments > Goat Simulator Free MMO Expansion Thursday
5. Re: Goat Simulator Free MMO Expansion Thursday Nov 17, 2014, 09:19 InBlack

nin wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:18:
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:14:
Sorry while I ROFL.

Such thought! So deep.

Such humor. Many wow!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 17, 2014, 09:16 InBlack

Well now. This could be an interesting 'listen' once I get home from work today. Chris Roberts is a smooth talker though so I don't expect any firebombs in there but Im actually eager to listen to whats said 'in-between the lines'.  

News Comments > Postal Redux Plans
2. Re: Postal Redux Plans Nov 17, 2014, 09:13 InBlack

I think those other guys beat them to the punch. Fail.  

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
34. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 16:35 InBlack

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:57:
Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:39:
Aw shit. Here. 256TB RAM, a core i19@5.3Ghz and a GTXMegaForceSupreme99990Ti.
Well the good news is you will not need specs like that to play the other space game that is due out in a month
and instead of a digital cigar or hair comb they are giving all beta testers an additional free ship (your choice of the 5 new ships) as a thank you for the support.
Oh yeah and there will be 5 more ships in the final game than what was promised in the kickstarter

Looking forward to it. Probably a day one buy. I didnt opt in the beta as Im still lacking a proper TrackIR (it's on the way yay!) but I will definitely purchase Elite Dangerous as soon as it goes 'live'. I realise the game is kind of barebones but it will be a nice change of pace from DCS which is what Ill be playing 'full time'.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II - Black Sea Colonies Culture Pack Pre-purchases
5. Re: Total War: ROME II - Black Sea Colonies Culture Pack Pre-purchases Nov 14, 2014, 16:30 InBlack

Holy shit. That trailer is indeed impressive. Makes me wish CA did a game set in Tolkien's middle earth. Maybe place it in the second age though, with Melkor (Morgoth?) as the villain and Sauron as a strapping young Maia on the rise  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2014, 11:14 InBlack

Orogogus wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 10:57:
ldonyo wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 10:27:
I happen to agree with Ars on this. Locked content and DLC is why I just wait for the everything edition of games to come out anymore. Except for The Witcher. I have great faith in CD Projekt RED and they give away additional content, so there's no reason to wait on a Witcher game.

Did you read the article? It never mentions DLC. It's about game design, and whether every game should have cheat codes to let you bypass any progression gating (as well as locking game modes and such behind unrelated achievements).

Yeah pure clickbait. They fish with an important sounding article title to make you think its relevant (paywall DLC) only to devolve into trolling the reader with some publisher-approved bullshit that really makes little sense.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2014, 08:42 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 20:23:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 19:36:
Verno wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 13:30:
There are no known Ebola cases in the U.S.

Hopefully this will finally put an end to discussions about unnecessary and economically damaging mass quarantines. The media fear mongering of this whole situation was absurd.

Can you imagine the Millions per death spent on Ebola vs the nothing spent on the 20,000+ that die every year from the flu? Something something great intentions something something missed the mark something something......

20k is nothing. And that's only the very old and very young. I've had the flu twice in my life and both times was down for only 2 or 3 days. Hell last time was about a decade ago, and it was on a weekend so I only actually missed one day of work. And a good friend of my mom's was one of those people who took the vaccine and got paralyzed. Spent years in therapy learning to walk again and all that. Fucking nightmare. And you also never hear about the billions the taxpayers pay for when that shit happens. If I recall it was almost 3 billion last year in the US. Thanks, but I'll chance getting the flu. And the government really needs to stop being so generous to Pharma with our money.

Never figured you for one of the anti vaxxers. Enonomics and Evil Big Pharma aside (and Im not being sarcastic, I really do feel they are in it for the money) do you really feel that vaccines are completely useless??

7794 Comments. 390 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo