Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 8505 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2015, 09:05 InBlack

Gotta agree with your assesment of that coverage Blue. The commentary and broadcast of e-sports leaves a lot to be desired, this is especially true of the few HOTS tournaments Ive watched onine. The biggest mistake they make IMO is that they put two or more guys who get into a shouting match while they trade 'ideas' about what is going on in the current game, instead of, focusing on the game itself?  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds
81. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 08:54 InBlack

Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 08:48:
so where's the problem again?

I edited my previous post so you probably didnt catch it. IP control is the problem. People won't be able to build on mods if they become pay-to-play. The mod creators sure as hell wont let others feed off their success free of charge. (Do you see the irony?) Do you get what Im saying? You will close off the biggest source of innovation in the modding scene, the true reason why modding is such a huge success, the ability to take someone else's mod and improve upon it.

78. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 08:38 InBlack

Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 08:31:
the idea that no one would ever release something for free if they knew someone else would profit from it is one of the most depressing things I've read today. no one would ever say a joke if it were possible that a comedian would steal the joke and make money off of it in their stand up act. and lo, the world was bereft of laughter.

You are using a false analogy yet again. Im talking about modding. Or if you really want to generalise, working on someone else's foundation with their permission. The whole concept of modding is built on this premise. Sort of like open-source. Once you close that shit down, and bring money into the game, bye bye modding. How many games today support mods compared to the games of the 90's? Why do you think that is? IP control. You are naive if you dont believe that is exactly what is going to happen to a rich modding community like Skyrim's once money is involved. Sure the 'big' popular mods will survive, they will even probably be bigger and better. But the community as a whole will wither away, and innovation will be limited by what you can sell and to whom.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2015, 08:50.

74. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 08:29 InBlack

Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 08:24:
OpticNerve wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 07:58:
Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 07:36:
creating art isn't a job?
Wow, if you think that's true, then you might be in the wrong business/hobby. If you draw for a company or commission, then yes it is a job.

You create art to improve yourself and your skills. It's not a job. It's an investment.

I don't even know where to begin... there are no artisans in the world apparently. there are only hobbiests who create "true" art, anyone receiving a paycheque are just hucksters i suppose?. And i was the one being accused of living in a dystopia...

No true artist creates art just to get paid, the lucky ones get to sell some of it. The really lucky ones can live from their art. The very vast majority eats crud. Most do it for reasons other than money, and those that do it just for the money are more often than not untalanted hacks. Ask any artist if you dont believe me.

72. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 08:20 InBlack

Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 08:15:
InBlack wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 08:10:
@Harlock: Maybe because the status-quo was working out pretty good for all parties concerned? Do you really believe this 'experiment' was initated by the modding community?

No, the status quo was working out fine for the sheep who have been consuming free content for decades. it was always a slap in the face that modders would get takedown notices if they so much as posted a paypal link for any wayward donations on their mod site.

the IP owners, the modders, and the store selling them both reached an agreement where they all make off like kings. It was about damn time. It lasted about 3 days.

if you want to talk about what's been "initiated by the modding community" you'll have to go back pretty far to witness the first quake mods being sold for $2.00 for a floppy disk. how far back do you have to go to find people who wanted to be paid for their work?

What? Im pretty sure you are now making shit up, I have never ever seen a Quake mod for sale, and yes I have been around in those days. Maybe it was a thing specific to the U.S. but I remember the most popular Quake mods being free, and proud of it. In fact the best mods for those 'old' games were a collaboration effort from different modders who would have never shared code or assets if they were competing for a market share. I myself did work on a Morrowind werewolf mod, I wrote a shitload of quest and dialogue, backstory and I did it without expecting to get paid.

None of this would be possible in a paid mods environment, there would be no room for free mods since no one would release something for free when they know that someone else would profit from it.

67. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 08:10 InBlack

@Harlock: Maybe because the status-quo was working out pretty good for all parties concerned? Do you really believe this 'experiment' was initated by the modding community?  

65. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 08:01 InBlack

Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 07:57:
yeah, i'm a regular Ayn Rand. The idea of the OPTION of paying artists for their work is pretty dystopian.

Except that analogy is kind of wrong. Modders are like fan artists, not original artists. They don't own the IP, they frequently (in total conversion mods) use art that isn't even owned by Bethesda. The problem isn't as simple as you like to portray it.

61. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 07:50 InBlack

Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 07:48:
OpticNerve wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 07:39:
Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 06:41:
All art should be free. OK. So how do artists eat?

They... get jobs?

creating art isn't a job? that's rich coming from an artist. and on a videogame forum too. last i checked videogames were forms of art. and thank god we live in a world where people can still stomach putting their money where their mouths are, so that we have the thriving games industry that exists today.

how many games would be made if no one ever got paid for any of the work? it's a hippy utopia. why is one form of work less worthy of being paid than another? is art not art if the artist makes a paycheque?

hippy. utopia. i respect it, just fundamentally disagree with it.

You are seriously going off the rails here dude. Did an Atlas Shrugged fall on your head when you were a little kid or something?

59. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 07:48 InBlack

Wow Slick, you are outdoing yourself here. You show those fucking angry gamers what anger is really about RAAAWWRRR!!  

46. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 06:07 InBlack

Ok...nevermind. I see Im not getting through here. It's a moot point anyway. This shit is gone, for now.  

44. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 05:56 InBlack

The system doesn't correct itself because there is no system in place! There are no avenues which you can legally take here, this isnt like Greenlight or CS or Team Fortress, where Valve has complete control and final say.  

42. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 05:45 InBlack

ItBurn wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 05:29:
...but I really haven't seen anything that made the idea of paid mods a bad one.

Here is one. Say you create a mod, a pretty decent one and have released it some time ago. For one reason or another you move on to another game mod, etc. In the meantime someone else comes along and modifies your mod, changing something maybe improving it a little bit and releases that mod under a new name. He then goes on to sell this mod, while you are blissfully unaware that someone stole your WORK and is profiting from it!!

Or we can take it in the other direction too. You release a great paid mod and the money starts rolling in. A few weeks later someone else comes along changes a few things around, rebrands it, and releases their own version (under their name) of the same mod and sells it for 50% less, or even gives it away for free!!

See where Im going with this? The mod scene is a thriving community because people help each other out and someone is always improving on another persons work etc. etc. As soon as you introduce money, it turns into a wild west of sorts. It can't work out, not the way Valve/Bethesda imagined it would, not without introducing a lot of rules and structure into the process beforehand. In other words, not without completely crushing the existing modding scene.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2015, 05:51.

37. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 04:15 InBlack

Fletch wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 03:45:
Part of the value of games like Skyrim are the large number of high-quality, free mods available.
"We wanted more great mods becoming great products..."
...that produce more revenue streams for Valve. We think 75% is fair.

Great mods become great products when someone hires the developers, pumps in their own cash for production and registers an IP. I.E. mods become great products when they ARENT mods anymore. Valve already knows this, since they are the ones who perfected the M.O. So this entire statement is pure bullshit.

You can't just come in and proclaim: From henceforth, all mods shall be for sale & there shallst be honour among thieves!

Thank god common sense prevailed.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
16. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Apr 28, 2015, 02:42 InBlack

I wonder how many times Batman accidentally killed someone? Im guessing getting hit by an armored fist or boot in the face can't be that healthy for you, especially if you aren't that healthy or fit to begin with. I put the number somehwere between 18 and 1343. I mean the guy has been on the street for 50+ years. That's a lot of time spent pulling punches (if youre a ninjutsu master).

Why would someone who doesnt kill study ninjutsu anyway? That's the only martial art which profeses that it's sole purpose is to kill as efficiently as possible.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions
22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 28, 2015, 02:35 InBlack

Kajetan wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:33:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:20:
I think it's pretty clear at this point that they are projecting to ultimately hit around $100m. It seems like the storage requirements keep going up with the budget, so I'm not sure I can afford the storage when this thing finally launches.
Point is ... regarding the scope of this project, $100m is the baseline.

A story-driven SP flight sim a la Wing Commander/Freelancer.
MP on your own server.
A persistent MP/MMO on CIG servers.
A shooter modul.
All modules connected.
Further content for all modules.

This, combined with AAA production values, you cannot do with "only" 50-60 million. Just remember, that Blizzard said during the release of Cataclysm WoW would cost more than 500 million Dollar just to rebuild it to the current state.

So what you are saying is that they were aiming for 100 million all along and that there is no way this game would have been made had it just been funded say....through the kickstarter??

Yeah, makes sense I guess. Now where do I sign up for a subscription, hey it's more tangible than a church donation! I mean Christ Roberts at least talks back, once a month at a minimum.

31. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 02:27 InBlack

The clusterfuck of paid mods was seen to be for what it really is. A bad idea. They backed down on this but in hindsight the reasons how badly this could go wrong were plainly written on the wall. I wonder who's idea this was to begin with? It was either someone not familiar with the gaming/modding scene, so a business/suit type of the worst kind. Or someone blinded stupid by swimming pools full of money.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2015, 09:57 InBlack

+1. Yeah, 19 years, wow!

Nice and 'nerdy' article on the original Star Trek captain's uniforms. I have recently started rewatching DS9 for the fourth, fifth? time and its still fucking awesome! We need TREK back on TV!

News Comments > ORION: Prelude Revisited
2. Re: ORION: Prelude Revisited Apr 27, 2015, 09:45 InBlack

Not Master of Orion? Not interested. :p  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III in November; Preorder for Beta Access; Specs Released
22. Re: Disturbing Apr 27, 2015, 08:20 InBlack

The Rolling Stones, so old, they're new again.  

News Comments > DOOM Map Sources & More Released
16. Re: DOOM Map Sources & More Released Apr 27, 2015, 03:42 InBlack

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 03:28:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 22:24:
ItBurn wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 19:49:
Oh my god, if you haven't played Brutal Doom, do it now! Stop what you're doing. Play Brutal Doom. It makes Doom a modern game and it provides the best shooting and level design I've seen in years.

When I first saw Brutal doom, I thought ID software was fucking stupid. All they need to do is take brutal doom, cut the developers in on the cash and revamp it into a new engine with updated graphics and keep the same combat and they'll have an AAA title that would sell.

Brutal Doom works exactly because it's taking the original sprite graphics and doing crazy stuff. In an updated engine...it just wouldn't be the same.

It's a novelty.

I think most of us, and more importantly the buying masses have moved on from this sort of gameplay. Look at Wolf's recent successful followup. It feature developed characters, scripted events, all the things that make games "modern". I don't know if a Old Doom style title now would be anything more than a retro gimmick people boot once or twice and never play again.

Yeah but you can have all those things AND the brutal gameplay of the original games (or this Brutal modification). Just look at what those guys at Rockstar are doing with GTA. GTA V is basically the same game that GTA1 is. The basic formula hasn't changed and that is a good thing. It just added a new dimension, fancy physics, some cutscenes and a little bit more scripting, and yet you have this huge complex city you can explore and play in. You could literaly do the whole game in top down 2d graphics if you wanted.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2015, 03:52.

8505 Comments. 426 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo