Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 7787 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
187. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 09:15 InBlack

Verno wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 08:38:
I'm sorta interested in this but I'm struggling to get an idea of how the game plays over a longer period of time. I can see myself getting bored of just mining and trading pretty quickly, what else is there to do? I was surprised to see that player co-op options are extremely limited as that would have been one of the main draws for me. Can I eventually buy a capital ship and run around acting like a terror? What sorts of activities are there outside of mining and mapping?

There are all sorts of missions available at all the different stations, many of them are multi-tiered and nearly all of them have some kind of backstory. For a random generating mission system (I assume thats how it works) it feels well thought out and varied. Oh, there are factions in the game as well, I think three major ones, and many smaller and independent factions as well. You can do faction specific missions to improve your standing with them, but Im not really sure what that leads to I guess there is some sort of endgame there (or will be at some point).

It's all about what you are looking for in a game. The game feels surface deep at first, but that's only if you dont bother scratching below the surface. Basically its the old Elite in a new engine, and with some multiplayer thrown in for good measure (the multiplayer part definitely needs to be refined). Be warned, its a pretty big timesink though.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

181. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 04:12 InBlack

Didnt manage to get much play yesterday (maybe half an hour tops) just managed to limp back to a station to refuel. Figured out the D-scanner thing. (thanks Spectralmeat)

Will be adding some of you guys later today, my quest for today will be earning enough moolah to get a third laser installed and maybe get something slightly more powerful then the stupid pulse lasers. I cant fight yet, it takes too long, so boring courier missions it is! Also need to figure out a way to get out of this backwater system I spawned in.

So where should I be heading? Where are the greener pastures in our galaxy for a would be pirate/bounty hunter?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
16. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 18, 2014, 04:06 InBlack

NewMaxx wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 03:22:
If by N. Korea you mean their Chinese backers, then yeah.

Yes because only the Chinese could orchestrate something of such magnitude with such skill and ability. Rolleyes

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
18. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 18, 2014, 03:53 InBlack

Fion wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 22:17:
Why is it the only GTA games to do good handling were GTA 3 and Vice City? Since then it's gotten progressively worse, though I hear 5 has better handling than 4, it still isn't very good.

Vice City is still my favorite GTA game. The story, the atmosphere, the music, the setting. Mabye because it ripped so much from Scarface, but I dunno. It was just pure awesomeness. Admittedly I havent played a single second of GTAV but according to the regulars here the story is forgettable at best, and the characters are awful.

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
141. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 18, 2014, 02:44 InBlack

Prez wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 01:50:
Beamer wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 22:10:
Prez wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 21:57:
I am going to buy two copies of this - one for me to simulate mass murder for my own entertainment, and one to gift to Timmeh so his head can explode. What a bunch of self-important tripe.

Greeeeeaaaat. Then when he hunts you down and kills you for your kindness, the Feds will find a copy of the game in his Steam list and have it to blame.

The irony of self-proclaimed righteousness crusader and ruler of what is allowed Timmeh killing me would make it worth being dead.

Hahhahah

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
14. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 18, 2014, 02:25 InBlack

Kim Jong Un - 1:0 - Hollywood

Seriously, this has got to be the biggest win N. Korea has had in the last 50 years or so. Sony not releasing the film is what they wanted, and it's what they got. Sony dropped the ball on this. They should have released the movie, the free publicity alone from all this 'controversy' would have netted them HUGE profits and N. Korea would invent something for their state media anyway. End of story.

Now, thirteen years after 9/11, America is still shaking with fear from percieved and imaginary threats. Arguably the most powerful country in the world quakes at the mere mention of a terrorist 'plot'. It's sad because the politicians will use it, twist it, overblow it and abuse it for as long as they possibly can.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2014, 02:30.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
14. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 18, 2014, 02:17 InBlack

Ill probably skip this on release. Ive got plenty of other games to keep me occupied ATM.  

14. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 09:38 InBlack

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:34:
And maybe it's meant to inspire hateful loners to commit suicide shooting sprees.

Oh this argument again. Hurrah for shifting responsibility!! For someone who claims not to be American, you sure have a very American veiw of things.

Hey did you know that Lee Harvey Oswald read Catcher in the Rye? They also found a copy of the book with the assasin who killed John Lennon (forgot his name) BURN SALLINGER!!!

13. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 09:34 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:27:
Freedom without responsibility doesn't work. We should aspire to more than pandering to the lowest common denominator. Anything for a buck, Gabe?

Im not sure what you are getting at here Cutter. Its very possible that Steam and Valve might in the end lose some business because of this decision. As for your freedom without responsibility that's all fine and dandy but ultimatevly it's not your decision to make, it's Valve's or rather Gabe's.

128. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 09:25 InBlack

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:10:
InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 08:57:
Oh crap. Why doesnt it deploy then...It deployed fine in the Sidewinder. (And yes I set it to fire group 2) This basic stuff shouldnt be so complicated damnit!

My scanner is set to Mouse Button 2 (Fire Group 2) and you need to make sure you press and hold down the button until the scan is complete. Should be a little progress bar in the middle of the UI to show you. Sorry if you knew this already.

Whats your CMDR Handle InBlack?

CMDR InBlack

Feel free to add me. Yeah already figured all of that stuff out in the Sidewinder, but damn if I can get it to work in the Eagle. It wont deploy the damn scanner (just the pulse lasers). Hope Im just doing it wrong and I wont need to submit a ticket.

6. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 09:18 InBlack

shul wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:16:
I'm sorry, but I've watched the trailer and the game makes me sick.

I know that if I don't like it I don't need to play it but putting stuff like that out there is like poisoning minds.

Maybe that is the point?? Maybe its supposed to make you sick, the same way a shocking book or movie is supposed to shock you, leave an impact, and some food for thought. There is no way to tell until the game hits the shelves and we learn some more about the story (or the lack of one).

5. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 09:17 InBlack

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:08:
Well goddamn, Gabe. I'm impressed.

Same here. It's not a 'politicaly correct' decision, but it's the right decision. It might hurt their mainstream image, but it will definitely push up their 'street cred' with the gamer enthusiast crowd.

In any case the decision was Gabe's to make, either way its his right since its his business. But Im not going to be so quick and judge this game as a POS before its release.

125. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 08:57 InBlack

Oh crap. Why doesnt it deploy then...It deployed fine in the Sidewinder. (And yes I set it to fire group 2) This basic stuff shouldnt be so complicated damnit!  

121. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 08:34 InBlack

Thanks for the help Spectral, hmmm no wonder the Anarchy system I visited was empty, guess I have to go back to the station where I left my Sidewinder to get the D-scanner. I assume I will be able to switch it out and install it in the Eagle?  

115. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 07:36 InBlack

double post

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2014, 07:41.

114. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 07:36 InBlack

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 07:30:
The only wonky thing I've seen is docking, sometimes it's very easy, then sometimes I have to try 3-4 times before the station accepts me being in the right spot and sometimes you even get some landing help on the radar, but not always.

Ok Ive found a quick workaround for stations that refuse your docking requests. Simply log out and then log in SOLO mode again. That worked for me when I couldnt dock to a station to complete a courier mission.

News Comments > Ciri Confirmed for The Witcher 3
14. Re: Ciri Confirmed for The Witcher 3 Dec 17, 2014, 07:04 InBlack

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:52:
SWEET!

Think I am going to read the books again that are sitting in my night stand before the new game comes out. Witcher lore is pretty damn solid.

Also, if you read all the books, Geralt is not always the main focus. The books are amazing if you guys haven't picked them up.

One of the few games out there that is based on a reward winning fantasy novel(s)/short story collection, that was translated into something like twenty languages, THAT DOESNT SUCK. The bold part is very important. Very few games out there that do the source material justice....

112. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 06:56 InBlack

Another question, should I maybe sell the free eagle I got, and upgrade my sidewinder with the proceeds? Is that viable? (Or stupid?)

Also what is the D-scanner used for and why does my Sidewinder have it but the Eagle only has something called a basic scanner? (and it wont deploy)

Sorry for the spam, but Im intrigued by this game and the Elite Dangerous forums are a bit of a mess truthfully.

111. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 06:53 InBlack

Ok some impressions from last night, also some questions:

Got the eagle, did a couple of simple drop off missions. Easy money. Then I decided to take on a pirate hunting mission. It sent me into a neighbouring anarchy system, with 0 planets, a large star and two small binary stars orbiting it. There is literaly nothing in the system. Flew around for a while, found a number of unidentified signal sources, all of which turned out to be some regular trader types, 'clean'. No sign of pirates. After a while a "system security vessel" shows up. So I say fuck it, Ive been flying for half an hour. Lets kick some ass! I open fire and we start to furball. Fast forward 45 minutes later!!! Yeah the fight took 45 minutes! The guy hardly scratched me, but the pew, pew with the basic pulse lasers on the eagle seems to be very very weak. So a couple of questions for you beta leet players:

1. Is the mission bugged? Why are there no pirates in a system which is supposed to be swarming with them. (Anarchy system)

2. How do I recognize which combat mission to take, and which is suitable to my level of weapons and equipment. Some missions pay 150k and Ive seen some that I can take that pay 300k! What gives?

3. What do you recommend I should upgrade first? My ship? My weapons? The powerplant? And how should I go about earning some cash for that. Should I trade first? Ive already figured out that I can fight quite well but my weapons are so pittifuly weak that it takes ages for the target to drop shields and then ages to finish them off.

56. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 14:26 InBlack

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 13:38:
InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 13:34:
Ok really stupid question. But how do I dock? I finally found the station where my Eagle is docked and am at a loss as to how to dock without provoking a lethal response. How do I get docking permission?
In the left side menu under contacts select the station and ask for docking permission. Sorry not sure what that menu called because I just look at it and it pops up.
Also I would advise you to do some of the basic tutorials before jump into the game to avoid some frustration.
The station will give you the permission if you are within range (under 7km) and give you the number of the platform where they want you to land. Ones inside the station look for the number and land.
See if this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weAoY7kw2NM

Ok thanks for that. Got the eagle, managed to complete one animal meat delivery mission. Gotta try some of those tutorials I guess. Thought they were the same as the combat demo, thought wrong...:)

7787 Comments. 390 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo