Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 362 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
117. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 12, 2013, 19:42 JohnnyRotten

Kajetan wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 19:17:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/12/simcity-server-not-necessary/

As it says: Servers are not necessary!

Crazy, and not totally unexpected. Thanks Kajetan.

Also found this:

http://kotaku.com/5990165/my-simcity-city-thrived-offline-for-19-minutes

19 minutes, no server.

If you think people were pissed about the slow server BS before, wait till the masses find out that the server isn't doing squat for the current city.

Ugly as it has been, it's about to get a lot worse.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
113. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 12, 2013, 12:51 JohnnyRotten

Digitalfiend wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:49:
...and if retargeting for a Windows OS isn't possible, then you can just use a *nix image and one of the free VM players.

Agreed. Although if we're primarily talking about a number crunching application here with a network layer to communicate back and forth, I'm not seeing a ton of difficulty reworking that to a different platform.

But it's all speculation based on the concept that EA is being honest about the whole "has to be done a server" thing, with the "has" being the critical part. I haven't seen one rational explanation for that word as of yet.

112. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 12, 2013, 11:38 JohnnyRotten

entr0py wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:49:
It would be nice if it turned out that way, for paying customers most of all. However, remember that the entire purpose of all of this online stuff is to prevent unauthorized play.

I wouldn't be surprised if several critical parts of the simulation are never executed the client PC. Obviously not because they want to donate CPU cycles, but because they want to make it genuinely difficult to get a server emulator working properly.

Yeah it would be. I'm not so sure much of anything is being done on the servers outside of regions as several different sites have reported being able to play up to 10 minutes disconnected without any sim issues. The 10 minutes thing seems to simply be a check to see if you are connected.

Although I don't have this version, if it's anything like the last version having the sim wait 10 minutes between doing the magic "calculations" would seem to be useless.

92. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 20:53 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:25:
There's almost definitely no reason why they couldn't handle it.
But coding something for a server and coding something for a home system tends to be very, very different. It isn't as simple as just flipping a switch.

If you never intended to turn off server-side calculations, why have someone put a few weeks into putting that ability in?

How, specifically, different?

Are you talking about the network traffic layer? Because if that's it, than the solution is simple - the game "server" runs as a service on your local desktop, receiving and sending traffic over the network layer, but simply sending & receiving on localhost.

Are you saying that their is something different in how it is compiled? Modern servers aren't mystical mainframes with a different architecture than a desktop. Both are Von Neumann machines, using very similar CPU and memory architectures (often the same). Modern code is compiled to the processor, not the class (desktop, server). If it runs in one place, it will run in the other.

Are you saying that the code itself couldn't run a single instance, only many? Coding a system that scales to multiples of instances, must, by definition, work in a single instance. How else would the service spool up for the first player?

Maybe the server is written on a *nix server? That would throw a wrinkle in things.

Maybe their are server side only assets? Bundle them up and ship them out. Not terribly difficult.

About the only other thing I see here is that there might be a minimum spec here for either CPU or RAM to run the server "service", but as I've said on other posts that simply cannot be the case here. There is no financial model that would support the near monopoly of a modern server's CPU + RAM for a single $60 purchase.

91. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 20:33 JohnnyRotten

wtf_man wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 09:24:
I'm sure that hackers will come out with a server emulator... probably one that can be run in the background of the same machine as the game client... and one that will be better since you won't be running against EA's artificial size limitations that they intend to sell "unlocking larger zones" to people.

I wouldn't be the least surprised, as a SimCity server emulater probably doesn't have much more do to then to say "Yes sir Mr. Client, you are still online".

Not sure about the regions thing - given all the other BS that has been shoveled out about the game, wonder if that's really being done locally as well.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
87. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 9, 2013, 21:42 JohnnyRotten

nin wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 21:08:
I don't doubt your information, but it's interesting maxis continues to insist an offline mode isn't possible. Not unlike how blizzard insists D3 can't be run offline, but oh, wait, for PS4 it's suddenly possible (but not for you godless pirating PC heathens).

The whole thing stinks to me. If either item I posted is true (can play without being connected, traffic sniffer shows next to no traffic), then the server requirement thing is just simply BS.

Even without confirmation, I don't believe it.

The TL;DNR version: processing horsepower costs money, if you need so much more then a desktop can deliver, then you cannot run many instances of the game per server, and the upfront server cost alone is ridiculously far past the (instance * $60) price point.

------------------------------------------

Long version: If the game takes more CPU or RAM than the average desktop machine, it'll take up the same resources on the server. Yes, the server can drop more physical CPU's in then a desktop. Yes, you can drop in more RAM then the average desktop. But we're not talking orders of magnitude here. The gap between desktop and server CPU/RAM is not generational.

If this game is so heavy on resources (CPU/RAM), how many instances of it could you really run on a server? How is this ever going to be cost effective for EA based on a single $60 purchase - of which only a portion would be available for servers costs (upfront and long term). CPU and RAM isn't cheap for any platform. High end servers that can take multiple CPU's and dense RAM configurations are very expensive even before you drop the component pieces (CPU/RAM/disk) in them.

No, it just doesn't add up. The bottom line is that if you need more processing power per player then the average desktop can deliver, there is no business or technical model that I can think of that makes this financial viable for a single $60 per player purchase.

I also can't see any argument about scales of efficiency in processing or memory that simply couldn't just be transplanted to the desktop. Nothing is efficient about this arrangement - outside the need for physical servers, you need an expensive internet pipe to them, a place to house them, staff to maintain them, etc, etc, etc.

This stinks to high heaven.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
85. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 9, 2013, 20:52 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:11:
So, Cheetah speed is killed to preserve server time.

Which means that processing is at least partially, if not largely or fully, server side. Which also explains why the game goes to title if you get a blip in your connection.

I'm not convinced this is true. I've read some comments on Rock, Paper, Shotgun about being continuing to play for up to 10 minutes without an internet connection and the only problem is that the city may not sync up once the connection is re-established. I ran across another site where a guy had claimed that a traffic sniffer had showed almost no traffic between his machine and EA.

I haven't bought the game, so my information is second hand. Can anyone here confirm either case?

- J

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 18:56 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:51:
Of course there's freedom of expression. The artist had the freedom to express himself by quitting the project because Orson Scott Card is something of a giant throbbing penis.That is how he expressed himself.

Yahtzee.

In best Oprah voice: You get freedom of expression, and you get freedom of expression, and you get freedom of expression.

FOE isn't limited to the single party that you like.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
119. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 18:27 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:00:
sauron wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:47:
They're at $770,000 already and it's not even 2pm. Wow.

Yeah, they're breaking a million easy on day one.

People should tell me again how publishers aren't taking notice of this. :p

Creston

Poor bastards, actually having to compete in the market of ideas. Wonder if they commiserate with the record company reps at some seedy bar.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
91. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 02:41 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 17:29:
Nah, I was thinking more of fredster. And POO ASS. POO ASS was hilarious. Who had a phantom online phd again, except the unnamed one who thrice-uttered name summons him?

Creston

No no no no.... Don't even think it.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
68. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 00:17 JohnnyRotten

n3farious wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 23:55:
People will be offended at anything and everything.

Tiny Tina is the first character that I have had tears flowing down my face in laughter at in a video game. She is irreverent, crass and politically incorrect.. in the body of a sweet little girl. It works. Get over it.

The bazonga's line had me rolling.

News Comments > Diablo III PTR Updated
31. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Jan 23, 2013, 20:34 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:10:
We know that (for many players) itís much more rewarding to gear up from items that you find while playing normally than it is to necessarily go through Auction House

Really? You guys know that? Then why is your game designed as is? These two things are diametrically opposed.

Blizzard is working to address player complaints that characters are merely the sum of their gear

Nobody saw that coming when they simplified the skill trees, and did away with attributes (and announced an auction house)? I'm kind of baffled as to what people were expecting when they saw all those things.

Creston

I would go even further and say you're really just your weapon stat, as all classes leverage that for everything.

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
66. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 21, 2013, 10:23 JohnnyRotten

Cram wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 22:27:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 21:07:
I wonder what chunk of those sales came from the bundled WoW special (sign up for a year, get free D3).

1.2 million copies of D3 via One Year WoW sub.

I had always assumed that it would be the other way around - that most of their sales came from the annual pass sale. Crazy and depressing.

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
56. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 20, 2013, 21:07 JohnnyRotten

Cutter wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 01:40:
Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 21:37:
They're listening alright. They're listening to the sound of $600 million rolling in from the 10 million sales of Diablo 3. With that kind of validation for the deliberate regression of a once-great franchise they have no mandate to do anything differently.

Yes, but that's because many were naieve and didn't understand the online-DRM, AH scheme, etc. I'll be dollars to donuts they won't see a repeat of those sales numbers again, not even close. They've just burnt too many bridges with this.

I wonder what chunk of those sales came from the bundled WoW special (sign up for a year, get free D3).

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 17:42 JohnnyRotten

Prez wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 17:24:
The problem with revolution though is that it takes a critical mass of the populace to be motivated enough to actually do something drastic, which is nohwere near the case here.

Actually, the trick with revolutions is getting the vast majority of the populace to stay on the sidelines and not come out against you.

News Comments > Christmas Legal Briefs
27. Re: Christmas Legal Briefs Dec 27, 2012, 11:06 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 00:03:
Yeah, people always forget that businesses do things for reasons other than directly making money. It's often about indirectly making money. HBO exists, as you say, to drive subscriptions. It creates TV shows to drive subscriptions. They aren't supposed to make money on their own. Given that it's owned by TW, it likely never will be.

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I picked up HBO the other day as part of a deal that Comcast was running. I didn't know about HBO GO at the time, but basically with it, I'm burning through all the series content I'm interested in, and will probably be done in a month or two. After that, I plan to cancel and then wait a few years for the next special. Rinse, repeat.

In other words, even HBO GO might be a strategic mistake on their part.

I think my type of consumption/use of service supports Beamer's basic argument - HBO doesn't have the amount of content needed to offset a buy (rent) individual items once approach versus a long term subscription. The latter nets them more long term cash, IMHO.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 21, 2012, 14:46 JohnnyRotten

DG wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 09:06:
You guys do realise that google news displays the headline and the first sentence or two, so that if you want to read anything you need to go to the newspaper's website? https://www.google.com/news

The ANJ sees Google making money and they see a possibility of taking a cut of it by utilising monopoly power.

Yahtzee.

Google is giving them free exposure and is not scraping the entire article, just the first few lines. This in essence is *free* product advertising for the publishers. However, they never see it this way, and this is the standard "shoot ourselves in the foot" reaction.

This reaction has happened before, and the end result is that the publishers always come crawling back to google after seeing their traffic drop to near zero.

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
69. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 10, 2012, 23:23 JohnnyRotten

I'll throw down some $ for this, but how do you create an account on their site? I only see a "log in" link, but nothing else. Does someone have a url for sign in?  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2012, 13:03 JohnnyRotten

Ouch. Now back to GW2, TL2, BL2, etc.  

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
38. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 16:09 JohnnyRotten

Verno wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:16:
I passed on this one, too much stuff to go through and returning to a paid sub game feels weird. Maybe next time, we'll see. I had no interest in the story and Pandaren aren't a big draw for me so hopefully next time they go with something else.

Same. I'm so far behind at this point - TL2, BL2, Walking Dead Ep3, etc. Stuck on GW2 atm. WoW is pretty far down the list.

362 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo