Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 362 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW Sales Wow
18. Re: WoW Sales Wow Jul 29, 2009, 19:34 JohnnyRotten

WoW is like hot dogs. It's not particularly good, but everybody likes it. Thankfully, I've been WoW-free for over half a year now.

Get your stadium dogs here! Get your red hot stadium dogs!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 at Comic Con
15. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 at Comic Con Jul 23, 2009, 14:35 JohnnyRotten

it's about the ridiculous behaviour of gamers who insist that Valve owe them the sun the moon and the stars

Nice straw man

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition...
Our chief weapon is surprise. Surprise and fear. Fear and surprise. Our two weapons are fear and surprise. And ruthless efficiency. Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency. And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. Our four ...

News Comments > Sacred 2 Patched
7. Re: Sacred 2 Patched Jul 21, 2009, 16:16 JohnnyRotten

Is it still rentware, or have they pulled the activation DRM yet?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2009, 11:56 JohnnyRotten

http://www.wechoosethemoon.com  

News Comments > More WAR Server Merges in Discussion
8. Re: More WAR Server Merges in Discussion Jul 13, 2009, 19:11 JohnnyRotten

...as a company that couldn't manage its way out of a paper sack if given a compass, directions, and pointed at the open end.

I always preferred the Marine version: Couldn't pour piss out of a boot even if the instructions were written on the bottom.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Jul 13, 2009, 19:07 JohnnyRotten

IndustryGamers - Who Killed PC Gaming?

I did, and I'm terribly sorry. I didn't mean to back over him, but it happened, and now I have to live with it for the rest of my life.

I'm so sorry...

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Jul 8, 2009, 17:49 JohnnyRotten

Ahh JT. The Derek Smart of the legal world. Everything to him is a personal attack against him. If his condition isn't in one of the DSM's, it should be.

- J

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - ARMA II
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - ARMA II Jul 8, 2009, 17:38 JohnnyRotten

I am surprised that Ctrl + Alt + 1 or 2 doesn't control the blinking of your eyes?

Ctrl-Alt-Shift-WinKey-Numlock-T for the left eye
Ctrl-Alt-Shift-WinKey-Numlock-Y for the right eye

News Comments > ARMA II Patch
26. Re: ARMA II Patch Jun 26, 2009, 17:20 JohnnyRotten

Just pretend William Shatner joined the US Army, and it's all good.

Someone needs to go through all of Shatner's work and pull the relevant words/phrases out, and release it as a mod. That would be awesome.

News Comments > ARMA II Specs
35. Re: ARMA II Specs Jun 26, 2009, 11:32 JohnnyRotten

I bought and played it, then sold it second hand. Those specs are laughable. Take the recommended spec as the bare minimum and you might be in the right area.

You said in another post you couldn't play A1 with your current machine. Did you upgrade the machine, or did you try playing A2 on the old one (which seems doomed to failure)?

- J

News Comments > Spore Patch
2. Re: Spore Patch Jun 24, 2009, 19:04 JohnnyRotten

If the EADM was accepting logins, now, that would be great...  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patches
22. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 23, 2009, 17:29 JohnnyRotten

When you do blow the town - I hope you're PC is hooked into a good sound system, it's worth it

I went for the good choices first play through, and came back on the second as a "bad" guy. Man, that explosion is really amazing.

News Comments > ARMA II in NA Next Month
18. Re: ARMA II in NA Next Month Jun 22, 2009, 12:22 JohnnyRotten

My machines is a core 1 duo 2 gigs 8800 GTS, and it ran so badly as to be unplayable, and that's even on very low res with everything at bottom.

I'm running it on a Core2 Duo (E8400), 2GB RAM, 8800 GTS on Vista x64. I'm getting a good framerates with everything set to normal.

BTW, does the Steam release date of June 26th refer to NA? It seems like it does

Hope so Rifle

News Comments > All Aspect Warfare Demo
20. Re: All Aspect Warfare Demo Jun 11, 2009, 21:44 JohnnyRotten

I personally think this is the best part of the game (emphasis mine):

LIMITED USE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

Copyright (c) 2008, 3000AD Inc.

This program, All Aspect Warfare ("software") and all copyrights trademarks and all other intellectual property rights related to it are owned by 3000AD, Inc. and are protected by United States copyright laws, international treaty provisions and all applicable law including the Lanham Act. You must treat the software like any other copyrighted material as required by 17 U.S.C §101 et seq and all applicable U.S and international laws.

This is a legal agreement between you, the end user, and 3000AD Inc. You agree that you are receiving a copy of the software and its user documentation, as a non-exclusive, non-transferable limited license only and not by sale and that the "first sale" doctrine of 17 U.S.C §109 does not apply to your receipt or use of the software or the printed documentation and manuals. This condition shall survive the termination of this agreement.

3000AD, Inc. or its partners, distributors and licensors disclaim all warranties, whether expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose with respect to the software.

3000AD, Inc. or its partners, distributors and licensors do not warrant that the operation of the software will be error free or that the software will meet with your requirements. 3000AD, Inc. or its partners, distributors and licensors also warrant that this software is sold “as-is” and that technical support will be provided to the best of it's abilities.

You cannot duplicate, sell, rent, lease, sub-license, translate, commercially exploit, distribute the software by any means, including on the Internet, disassemble, reverse engineer, decompile, modify, alter or use this software for any commercial purpose whatsoever. You may only copy the software from your purchased CD-ROM onto your computer storage device or memory.

In no event will 3000AD, Inc or its partners, distributors and licensors be liable for any indirect, special, incidental, economic, consequential, exemplary or punitive damages arising out of the use of or inability to use the software or user documentation, including, without limitation, damages or costs relating to the loss of profits, business, data, time or computer programs, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.

3000AD Inc. acknowledges that during online multiplayer play, communications may be exchanged between you and other players. 3000AD Inc. disclaims all liability for any damages suffered by you as a result of any such communications made by you or other users online.

You acknowledge that you have read and understand this agreement. You also understand that by continuing the installation of the software, by loading or running the software, or by placing or copying the software onto your computer storage device, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement.

I'll play: Vernor v. Autodesk; potential Clayton Act violation countersuit for any suit brought against the selling/purchasing parties by "3000AD, Inc or its partners, distributors and licensors". Sweet. Achievement +1

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Interview
5. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Interview Jun 9, 2009, 15:01 JohnnyRotten

I love the expansion, if you loved SC, I would imagine you'd do too

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me C. One quick Q - how are nukes broken in SP?

And sorry for thread hijacking. Well, not that sorry.

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Interview
3. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Interview Jun 9, 2009, 14:16 JohnnyRotten

I LOVED the first one and its expansion

Creston - I loved SC1, but never got around to buying the expansion. Is it worth it?

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Interview
33. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview Jun 5, 2009, 11:49 JohnnyRotten

The most telling item in the article is this part:

..the team brought their concepts and ideas to create a sequel to Gabe Newell, and even he was skeptical about the idea. According to Faliszek, he expressed his doubts, and claimed this move was against the character of the company.

In my opinion, Gabe should have stuck to his guns. With the horribly mismanaged launch campaign for their new product, they’ve manage to burn down the entire trust ecosystem they’ve built up with their customers almost overnight. That’s not a forest you can regrow overnight. This is pretty high on the scale of business mistakes.

I can certainly understand the dismay of some of the gaming community here as many valid points have been raised:

They’ve made promises with the original product that they haven’t kept to date. This is a problem.

They keep talking about how revolutionary the next game will be, but it appears to me to be an evolutionary step forward. Valve’s previous method of release games – only after long/extensive internal development, testing, and quality control would seem to invalidate the “full sequel” concept that is being pushed. If they’ve already got the L4D2 version of the game up and running with the new bad guys (as indicated by the writer), then how much work was it, really? This is a problem.

One of the justifications for the new game is that “It's not nearly that easy with Left 4 Dead, where one change affects nearly everything else”. This logic would seem to infer that L4D2 will suffer the same problems as it is the same engine, just with more intractable features added. Are we being told that we can look forward to L4D[#] releases on the Madden schedule because of this? This is a problem.

They haven’t acknowledged (to *my* knowledge) to date the impact this will have on the existing game (i.e. everyone flees to the L4D2 servers). This is a problem.

They keep presenting the false dichotomy of it could have only been done as a free update, or as a (potentially full price) game, when in fact there are several other options available. This is a problem.

As others have noted, there is a lot of “want to” and “hope to” as regards to features and functionality of the new game. Given the short time to the release, this is a problem.

It seems pretty obvious to me that they’ve gone into damage control mode here, and don’t really have answers for the community at this time. This goes back to my first point – which is they didn’t really think this through. My guess is that everyone would be ecstatic about the new product (New toons! New maps! New weapons! New bad guys!) without fully considering the history of broken promises on the first game, and possibly worse for Valve, without truly understanding the (potentially former) very high regard the community held for their company. For a lot of people, this still smacks of going over to the side of Evil (all rights reserved), and that alone will start the forest fire.

Last on this ridiculously long post about a game we really still know very little about is that I still agree with the “red box” idea Dagok brought up on another post. It might be a way for Valve to dig themselves out from under this hole (HL2-EP3, Portal 2, L4D2).

As a side note, how come this game was announced at a MS press conference? How is MS involved with Valve and L4D2?

'Nother note: Blue's media link on this subject is priceless. I laughed so hard I almost cried.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2009, 11:50.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Announced
118. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Announced Jun 2, 2009, 12:07 JohnnyRotten

For all we know this will be bundled in the "Red Box" with Episode 3 or Portal 2, etc, etc.

Valve and Newall have done their best through words and actions to paint themselves as a customer focused company. The problem with this approach is you have to be consistent. Everyone expects EA to be evil(tm), so when they do something evil(c), although there is the usual round of angst, no one is really surprised, and the hate tends to die down rather quickly.

However, if you are on the side of good(rm), and decide to switch teams, which is what appears to be happening here (assuming L4D 2 is a standalone full priced game), you’re really going to get beaten up by your old team (i.e., the customers).

Trying to monetize a franchise so quickly, much like the yearly releases of Madden starting from Madden Jesus (Pontius Pilate on the cover) and ending (possibly) at Madden Armageddon (Strangelove on the cover*) for me, is a real sign of evil(all rights reserved).

I think sticking L4D 2 into a box as part of a value add might calm the waters a bit.

* I was going to go with Dan Marino or the Bills for this one, but it would be cruel to keep kicking those dead horses.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Announced
117. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Announced Jun 2, 2009, 11:49 JohnnyRotten

I know that I played the demo, thought "cool", and then bought it on release, expecting the "TF2 treatment", only to be disappointed and disillusioned, not by the game itself, but by the lack of updates.

Agree.

Furthermore, the completely screwed up multi-player finally drove my friends and I away from this game. I'm still confused how a company like Valve (with long experience and deep pockets) could have let this issue get out out the door, then let it fester.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2009, 21:47 JohnnyRotten

Did you save the bacon? That would have been my first priority...  

362 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo