Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 370 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Stardock Boycotting UPS? [Updated]
123. Re: Guilt by association Oct 6, 2009, 01:09 JohnnyRotten

Monty Python may have said it best: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a definite proposition. Your arguments fail to establish "definite proposition". For example, if just swap the nouns in your statement as follows...

You're a bit late to this party, but I'll say it again - This is an erroneous comparison. I don't attend the "Church of Obama". I don't go to church for news. Also, radio is a place of learning, indoctrination if you will, into the way that commentator wants you to live. How does a commentator indoctrinate you do you suppose? While there may be some people who follow Wright religiously, I don't know any.

My willful listening to a commentator is NOT, in my opinion, a case of guilt by association. Again, the difference between a point of contention and a moral divide is a stark one, and it is being ignored by those who would prefer to discredit me because they disagree rather than allow me my opinion.

... the arguments are so generic, open ended and flawed with enough fallacies to easily be exchanged into a new, and by your logic, a valid situation by simply substituting the players.

Your claim appears to be "Person A has belief X because person B has belief X". To support this premise, your inferences resort to guilt by association, straw man, appeal to belief, cause and effect, as well as false dilemma.

When these fallacies are stripped away, we are only left with the original premise, and no supporting arguments. Without logical deductive or inductive inferences for your premise, your conclusion is unsupported.

As a side note, your ad hominem circumstantial claim in this latest post seems far fetched, at least as regards to me, as I have made no attempt to discredit you personally, nor have I made any declarative position statements about President Obama, Glenn Beck, religion, or politics*.

* Nor do I believe anyone is sitting on your chest and not "allowing me my opinion." If this is incorrect, have a proxy let us know, and we'll do our best to send help.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stardock Boycotting UPS? [Updated]
121. Guilt by association Oct 5, 2009, 21:00 JohnnyRotten

The difference being that I have documented evidence to support my opinion (how many videos of Wright's sermon's are on the web???) that Obama is a racist (Prez)

What you say is true, however I have an opinion (Obama is a racist) that is backed by doucmented eveidence (He was a 20 year member of a bigoted church). (Prez)

This is a classic example of guilt by association. Here's an example of why it is a logical fallacy:

Have you listened to Glenn Beck before? (MattyC)
Not only have I heard him; I listen to him regularly (Prez)

Your logic vis-à-vis Obama, if applied to you, transfers all of the characteristics, statements and positions of Beck to you, including the ones you stated you would like to disavow yourself from ("alarmist", " conspiracy theories", "melodrama", etc.), whether you like it or not.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Police Use Acoustic Warfare to Disperse Oct 1, 2009, 13:42 JohnnyRotten

From what I can tell, the noise gun was only there because a protest without a permit is only a couple steps from being a riot.

Don't think the permit is going to cause, or not cause a riot. In fact, I don't think the permit is sentient enough even to make a decision about what to have for lunch.

News Comments > Fallen Earth Rises
24. Re: Game Reviews Sep 23, 2009, 14:44 JohnnyRotten

When it's your game and investment, then you can offer whatever deal you like. As long as it's their game and investment, they get to choose. See how it works?

That's a double edged sword - When it's my money and my choice, I can decide to play or not to play. As long as it's my money I get to choose whether to invest in their game.

The games getting some mixed reviews around the tubes. Combine that with the mixed survival record of MMO's in general, and the uncertainties of funding and support from an indie shop, I choose not to invest in the game until they go with a free demo so I can evaluate it myself.

See how that works?

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Sep 22, 2009, 22:24 JohnnyRotten

How does d2d drm work? Hard to tell from their site.  

News Comments > StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility
48. Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 24, 2009, 18:18 JohnnyRotten

Just a quick update, the LAN petition number is now currently at 123,596 people signed. And growing at about a person per second.

Have there been any internet petition type events that have had any real impact? I'm asking a serious question here, not trying to be troll bait.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2009, 13:55 JohnnyRotten

‘Star Wars’ canon is finally shooting itself in the foot.
"Finally?"

Mesa think it starting going downhillza with the jackassa who spoka lika this-a.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2009, 13:07 JohnnyRotten

I think so, it's not one of those whole house fans, just a small fan that exits warm air through the roof.

Just replaced my Broan attic fan that had the same problem. Be careful - straining to start can also mean overheating the motor which can lead to pesky insurance claims about a burned down house.

News Comments > WoW Sales Wow
18. Re: WoW Sales Wow Jul 29, 2009, 19:34 JohnnyRotten

WoW is like hot dogs. It's not particularly good, but everybody likes it. Thankfully, I've been WoW-free for over half a year now.

Get your stadium dogs here! Get your red hot stadium dogs!

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 at Comic Con
15. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 at Comic Con Jul 23, 2009, 14:35 JohnnyRotten

it's about the ridiculous behaviour of gamers who insist that Valve owe them the sun the moon and the stars

Nice straw man

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition...
Our chief weapon is surprise. Surprise and fear. Fear and surprise. Our two weapons are fear and surprise. And ruthless efficiency. Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency. And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. Our four ...

News Comments > Sacred 2 Patched
7. Re: Sacred 2 Patched Jul 21, 2009, 16:16 JohnnyRotten

Is it still rentware, or have they pulled the activation DRM yet?  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2009, 11:56 JohnnyRotten

http://www.wechoosethemoon.com  

News Comments > More WAR Server Merges in Discussion
8. Re: More WAR Server Merges in Discussion Jul 13, 2009, 19:11 JohnnyRotten

...as a company that couldn't manage its way out of a paper sack if given a compass, directions, and pointed at the open end.

I always preferred the Marine version: Couldn't pour piss out of a boot even if the instructions were written on the bottom.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Jul 13, 2009, 19:07 JohnnyRotten

IndustryGamers - Who Killed PC Gaming?

I did, and I'm terribly sorry. I didn't mean to back over him, but it happened, and now I have to live with it for the rest of my life.

I'm so sorry...

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Jul 8, 2009, 17:49 JohnnyRotten

Ahh JT. The Derek Smart of the legal world. Everything to him is a personal attack against him. If his condition isn't in one of the DSM's, it should be.

- J

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - ARMA II
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - ARMA II Jul 8, 2009, 17:38 JohnnyRotten

I am surprised that Ctrl + Alt + 1 or 2 doesn't control the blinking of your eyes?

Ctrl-Alt-Shift-WinKey-Numlock-T for the left eye
Ctrl-Alt-Shift-WinKey-Numlock-Y for the right eye

News Comments > ARMA II Patch
26. Re: ARMA II Patch Jun 26, 2009, 17:20 JohnnyRotten

Just pretend William Shatner joined the US Army, and it's all good.

Someone needs to go through all of Shatner's work and pull the relevant words/phrases out, and release it as a mod. That would be awesome.

News Comments > ARMA II Specs
35. Re: ARMA II Specs Jun 26, 2009, 11:32 JohnnyRotten

I bought and played it, then sold it second hand. Those specs are laughable. Take the recommended spec as the bare minimum and you might be in the right area.

You said in another post you couldn't play A1 with your current machine. Did you upgrade the machine, or did you try playing A2 on the old one (which seems doomed to failure)?

- J

News Comments > Spore Patch
2. Re: Spore Patch Jun 24, 2009, 19:04 JohnnyRotten

If the EADM was accepting logins, now, that would be great...  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patches
22. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 23, 2009, 17:29 JohnnyRotten

When you do blow the town - I hope you're PC is hooked into a good sound system, it's worth it

I went for the good choices first play through, and came back on the second as a "bad" guy. Man, that explosion is really amazing.

370 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo