Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15
40. Re: BioShock 2 Activations: SecuROM 0, GFWL 15 Jan 22, 2010, 14:16 JohnnyRotten

I think watching this whole thing play out is potentially more fun than Bioshock 2 itself.

Agree

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ex-EA Exec: "EA is in the Wrong Business"
11. Re: Ex-EA Exec: Jan 14, 2010, 11:22 JohnnyRotten

RTSNut wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 00:34:
Is this the same Mitch Lasky that saved Activision 15 years ago?

"Mitch Lasky" is a name that sounds like it belongs in one of the Airplane movies. I'm not sure why, it just does...

News Comments > Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball
25. Re: Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball Jan 13, 2010, 18:42 JohnnyRotten

I've got balls of aluminum

Good choice - lightweight, doesn't rust, etc. I'll have to think about switching over...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2009, 12:03 JohnnyRotten

The only reliable squirrel defense:

Dynamite

News Comments > Direct2Drive Top 10
2. Re: Direct2Drive Top 10 Dec 10, 2009, 19:39 JohnnyRotten

Impulse is the number two digital distributor?
Impulse
1. Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment
2. Sins of a Solar Empire: Diplomacy (Pre-Order)
3. Sins of a Solar Empire
4. Tropico Reloaded
5. Evochron Legends
6. ObjectDock Plus
7. Sword of the Stars Ultimate
8. The Corporate Machine
9. WindowBlinds 7
10. Bullet Candy

Direct2Drive
1. Dragon Age: Origins
2. Mass Effect
3. Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition
4. Crysis Maximum Edition
5. The Sims 3
6. Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 Bundle
7. Civilization 4: The Complete Edition
8. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
9. Borderlands
10. The Sims 3 World Adventures Expansion Pack

Really?

News Comments > Impulse Top Sellers
10. Re: Impulse Top Sellers Dec 7, 2009, 20:09 JohnnyRotten

would you guys say this weekly presentation equates to good publicity or bad publicity for Impulse?

IMHO, this chart doesn't seem to support their "we're number 2" assertion as others pointed out. In this case it does not appear that 1 + 1 = 2 (one chart, and one “we’re number two” claim).

News Comments > PEREGRINE Glove Preorders
9. Re: PEREGRINE Glove Preorders Dec 5, 2009, 14:24 JohnnyRotten

I'm going to wear two at once!  

News Comments > Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse
12. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Nov 20, 2009, 01:49 JohnnyRotten

At least he got a refund.

At least on this one issue gets you +1 in my book. All the other things that are going on with this particular issue (how the customer had to get the refund, the length of the problem with the product, the conflicting statements about working/not working, how Impulse is the victim here, etc) gets them about a -10.

The fact that this is happening with Wardell's (of the "Gamer's Bill of Rights" fame) company earns them about another -100.

For me, "At least" isn't placing real high for this one.

And I feel for you - I've got several Steam games that just simply will not run and I, like you am SOL. Wish there was a company out there that followed at least the first couple of articles of the "Gamer's Bill of Rights". They'd be the first place I'd shop at for new games.

Can't wait to find a company like that.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2009, 01:57.

11. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Nov 20, 2009, 01:35 JohnnyRotten

I broke this up to avoid the wall of text, but I guess the wall of posts doesn’t really change this. I have way to much free time on my hands, and I’m wasting it conversing with the intertubes. Note to self, get a hobby/life.

My opinion here is that they are knowingly selling a game that does not work for over a year, and will continue to do so. They leave it up to the customers to determine why it doesn’t work and locate and implement a potentially risky third party solution without official support.

It also doesn’t help that they say on the one hand “it works” while on the other saying “it doesn’t and we have a wink wink solution”. It’s the internet. You can’t say different thing to different people to appease them, and not have someone connect the dots and call you out on it.

On the subject of the “it doesn’t work and we have a wink wink solution” - semi-official nods and winks at other posters threads aren’t a particularly good solution for either the distributor or developer. The attitude from Impulse is: here, check out this post by someone who doesn’t work for us (wink wink), who recommends you go to this third party site that we don’t control (wink wink), hope that the owner of that site isn’t loading it up with malware, and download (wink wink) this unofficial patch (wink wink), which we also hope doesn’t contain any malware. Of course, since we’re doing the wink wink thing, we assume no liability for our non support. By the way, thanks for your cash. And if your friends want to buy our broken product, well, we’re leaving it up for sale (wink wink).

If they (or anyone here) want to argue that they are contractually obligated to sell the game in the state it is in, the solution is simple: don't sell the faulty product.

They also make statements about 100% refunds but don't mention that they made the customer do the leg work for it (for something they know is a known issue).

Wardell can talk about his "Gamers' Bill of Rights" all he wants to, but when his own company doesn’t follow through on it, or at best uses a lot of sophistry to pretend they are, well, what chance does it really have? What credibility does that give Wardell? To use the tired cliché one more time: to talk to the talk, you have to walk the walk.

Wardell, you and Impulse have dropped the ball on this one. Stop pretending your hands are tied and you have no options here. Stop pretending you are offering top of the line customer service. Stop pretending that your company is a victim of some sort of conspiracy. Instead of presenting sophistry and obfuscation, present a solution that walks the walk.

Time to eat some crow and make this right, not just with the one gamer you made jump through hoops for his refund, but for everyone who has purchased the game and has the DRM issues with the product. No PM’s to you, no contacting the developer for permission, just a simple rule for this product for your service staff: When a customer asks for a refund for the ring of greed issue, and you don’t have an official solution, then you issue one, no questions asked.

Easy peasy (wink wink).

10. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Nov 20, 2009, 01:22 JohnnyRotten

The following quote is taken from the quarter to 3 forum and explains nicely why the game is still for sale in a non-working state.

Actually it doesn't explain it at all - the product they are selling doesn't work, and they know it. They could simply pull it from the store until the developer decided to fix it, but they have not. They could put a disclaimer in the product description to let purchasers know that there could be a potential problem. They have these and probably more solutions that would benefit the consumer.

I talked to Brian Clair, he says no, you don't get the elven ring of greed every time and has not seen a problem with the spells.

We have sent QA reports to Trevor Chan and he says that the game is working as intended. There's no DRM. And this is the latest version -- the one everyone has.

I'm not sure what people want us to do here. The game runs. The publisher says it is working as intended. And if someone doesn't like some part of the game they can update to a fan made game.

Impulse is a retailer. I can't help but wonder why Impulse is somehow being singled out here -- especially since it gives refunds.

If someone there wants to buy the game, try it out, and see if there's some merit to this, do so. If there's a problem, PM me and I'll make sure you get refunded. But QA and support say they didn't get this problem.
Let’s see here:

[1] “I talked to Brian Clair, he says no, you don't get the elven ring of greed every time and has not seen a problem with the spells”. Are your customers lying? Are the forum posts and the results from a simple google search on “ring of greed” completely false? Even though some of the ring of greed posts on the intertubes precedes Impulses offering the product?

[2] “I'm not sure what people want us to do here. The game runs.” Refund the money without having the purchaser have to beg both the distributor AND the developer for a refund. Actually troubleshoot the issue past calling Trevor and asking him is there an issue. Your customers and other people who have purchased the game from other companies then Impulse are reporting a problem. More then one person. There actually might be something to these reports. You’ve already alluded several times to ways to unofficially fix the problem. It seems like you want it both ways: There is no problem, and although there is no problem, here is a (wink wink) fix for the non problem.

[3] “I can't help but wonder why Impulse is somehow being singled out here -- especially since it gives refunds.” Yes, the victim card. There isn’t a problem, people are picking on us because of who we are. Sophistry instead of customer service. I read a post today from Craig Newmark (craigslist) who gets what your company does not in regards to customer service: 1. Customer service done in good faith is public service. 2. Customer service anchors you to reality. You’re failing on both points. I think I can safely state that no, you aren’t being singled out because of your corporate identity. There just might something else here – maybe angry customers who have a product that hasn’t work for over a year. Just maybe. It’s a thought.

[4] “If someone there wants to buy the game, try it out, and see if there's some merit to this, do so. If there's a problem, PM me and I'll make sure you get refunded. But QA and support say they didn't get this problem.]”. How much do you pay per hour for QA work on products that you are selling? Nothing? Well, maybe you shouldn’t expect us to work for you for free. However, you do have EXISTING customers with problems with the product who just might be willing to work with you (if they haven’t written you off after a year of new-speak responses) to help you troubleshoot the issue. Maybe you should start there instead.

8. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Nov 20, 2009, 01:16 JohnnyRotten

Update: We are also informed by Stardock that the author of that complaint received a 100% refund days ago, and that "Impulse is the only digital retailer that provides refunds for people who do have technical issues for whatever reason."

See – we’re great at customer service, and we gave him a 100% refund, easy peasy right? Here's what the author of the complaint had to do to get his 100% refund:

From Forum Post

1. I opened a trouble ticket at http://www.stardock.com/support/ asking for a refund, referencing this thread and saying that the copy-protection had crippled the game.

2. The support technician told me that I could only get a 75% refund unless I got written authorization from Enlight Games. (Based on their website, the name "Relic Games" might better apply to them).

3. I asked the support technician for a contact address at Enlight, which she was kind enough to give me: info@enlight.com.

4. I sent an email to info@enlight.com asking for them to email support@stardock.com with authorization for a refund, keeping my ticket number in the subject line.

5. The folks at Enlight did so; Stardock told me they would process the refund and WBC has disappeared from my Impulse list.

So, this wasn't hey, this game doesn't work, you know it doesn't work, give me back my money, no problem; instead it was we know the game doesn't work, but we're not just going to give you back our money for screwing you over, nope we’re going to make you jump through hoops to get your money back.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Open Beta Signups
6. Re: Star Trek Online Open Beta Signups Nov 20, 2009, 00:09 JohnnyRotten

Is it just me, or a captcha's getting beyond the ability of humans to do reliability in the first try? It took me three times with this one.

Or am I just getting old, and need to start whining about kids these days?

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Nov 14, 2009, 15:35 JohnnyRotten

This has been an A+ thread. Hopefully my comments don’t put it on the wrong side of the curve.

From the article:
Let me put it this way, if having Day-one DLC in a game like Dragon Age means that Bioware gets to make the sequel, and not having it means they don’t, I will happily take the opportunity to make my informed purchasing choice…

The classic false dilemma – either this or that, but nothing else; which I think many people have pointed out here.

DG - This guy believes that the suppliers tell the customers what they will have and the customers should take it and be thankful. That's the reverse of how the free market operates: developers and publishers exist to serve the wants of their market and only if they do it well do they get a profit in return.

Agree completely.

Creston - But yeah, DLC is the new shit. They know people don't want to pay 60 bucks for a game, so they'll just cut content out and charge you ten bucks for it, getting your 60 bucks that way.

Yahztee!

Creston - The publishers can go fuck themselves. I'm buying fewer and fewer new games because of their bullshit. I used to buy 2 or 3 games a month, now I buy MAYBE four or five games a year (full price.)

Same with me. Even DA, which looks phenomenal, isn’t worth, for me, the price they are asking for it (in all its various flavors). I’ll simply wait a year or two and purchase the gold version for a more reasonable price.

TurdFergasun - some ppl just don't realize that art for profit is generally no longer art.

You’ve just pretty much emptied out every art museum on the planet with that statement. BTW, great name.

Cutter - The author makes it sound like that if we don't take it sans lube as well that gaming will disappear. No, it'll just change for the better.

Another hole in one – people will simply take their money elsewhere. This would be the “something else” that the author of article didn’t think of (or ignored) when creating his false dilemma. People vote with their wallet.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Digital Distribution Backlash
59. Re: MW2 Distro Backlash Nov 12, 2009, 21:12 JohnnyRotten

Eve Online is the only game that requires Excel to play.

Eve Online is playing Excel!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam)
39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 13:51 JohnnyRotten

<hijack>
Verno/Wowbagger - I'm still on the fence with DA. Should I wait for the 1/2 price + all dlc package in a year, or is it good enough to lay down the hard earned cash on now?
</hijack>

News Comments > Torchlight and Torchlight Demo Released
121. Re: Torchlight & Demo Nov 2, 2009, 11:01 JohnnyRotten

First off: Fuck spammers.

Second off: This game is just fate II, and that for me, is awesome. Bought it.

News Comments > Borderlands' Firm Street Dates
171. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 27, 2009, 22:30 JohnnyRotten

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_11.html
There's a great example of AF there if you page down. It also shows AA

Cool, thanks for the link. Good info.

169. Re: That argument doesn't hold. Oct 27, 2009, 14:46 JohnnyRotten

here is no AA, there is only AF

Thought that was the same thing. Not a graphics wonk. Sorry for the bad advice.

166. Re: That argument doesn't hold. Oct 27, 2009, 13:15 JohnnyRotten

My 2 main issues are that there is no AA...

This fooled me at first too - There is a down arrow on the audio/video options screen that has AA and a bunch of other options.

- J

143. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 26, 2009, 10:51 JohnnyRotten

Banning people for pointing out that a torrent is available for the purpose of illustrating the irony (that pirates are free from all the inconveniences that honest people have to deal with) is lame, not to mention detrimental to their own cause, as it makes for really bad PR.

Good point.

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo