Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Uplay Details
52. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 14:10 JohnnyRotten

everyone wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 07:46:

Here's a pretty simple standard: If the drm used prevents someone from playing their legally purchased game, it's too intrusive.

Win

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Uplay Details
51. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 14:04 JohnnyRotten

Sempai wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 09:57:
Fuck Off.

I think this is going to be a common sentiment for anything UBISoft does from now on. They've run out feet to shoot themselves in, and are now working their way up to the head...

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2010, 14:10.

News Comments > WoW, That's an Expensive Horse
137. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 18, 2010, 16:52 JohnnyRotten

kxmode wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 02:04:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 01:46:
This mount is still a ripoff.

It's not a ripoff. The horse comes with armor. Oh, and it has wings and glows... GLOWS! You can't put a price tag on that! It's nuts!

Wait, the horse comes with virtual nuts? I'm in...

News Comments > Crytek's Demo Doubts
68. Re: Crytek's Demo Doubts Apr 18, 2010, 14:34 JohnnyRotten

Jim wrote on Apr 18, 2010, 14:27:
why is it that with record sales the past year the focus now shifts from the customers instead to "piracy" and how much more money they could possibly be making?

pirates don't pay shiz for games and are not going to pay anything no matter what measures are enacted. as a customer I am becoming increasingly offended at the abusive measures being tossed our way.

Because this really isn't an honest conversation about piracy. It's really about monetizing everything you can, and hiding behind the boogieman-de-jure as the excuse. It's pretty much SOP for everything these days.

Won't someone think of the children?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2010, 20:45 JohnnyRotten

LittleMe wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 14:14:
There is no law saying we have to pay federal income taxes. We do it because we are coerced, intimidated, and because everyone is conditioned so.

The people with the tanks and AC-130 gunships think that's pretty amusing and would like their money now. Or else.

News Comments > Free Total Annihilation Expansion on Impulse
7. Re: Free Total Annihilation Expansion on Impulse Apr 10, 2010, 17:33 JohnnyRotten

Prez wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 12:25:
Funny - I thought SupCom was exactly like TA.

Same here - mass/energy, build tons of units, rush!

News Comments > GameStop Used Game Lawsuit
89. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 27, 2010, 13:35 JohnnyRotten

No-one who has been advocating this position of "we're owed" (either through resale, or rental) has yet come forward to explain why the PC gaming industry deserves some special exemption from the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. ß 109 that could not be applied to the vast majority of other used products.

The closest I've heard is that bits don't degrade, although I think that's a bit of a red herring imho. Plenty of used products maintain their intrinsic and useful value over long periods of time. In fact some, for example books, can last in perfectly useful and valuable form for hundreds of years, while digital "undegradable" media becomes useless in periods measured in a few years due to obsolesce of the media and the equipment required to leverage the media. The undegradable argument seems to apply to these other products more then games.

Furthermore, the arguments I've seen for the banning of used sales here (it's just like piracy, it's not the same type of business - so the rules must be somehow different, etc) all use arguments that you can simply substitute out "game" and replace with commodity of your choice and it works just as well in defense of that product.

The market exists for used *anything* not because of the sellers, but because the buyers find value in that market. The discussions here generally avoid the fact that these used sellers of games, or other products are taking a risk that their product will not sell. Itís not some sort exploitation. Thereís the market, they take the risk, and they get the reward.

Certainly itís not past the ability of the game developers/distributors to build their own used game market (Transfer your game for $5 to another person, etc). It sounds like they want the profit without the risk.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2010, 16:24 JohnnyRotten

Blue wrote on Mar 26, 2010, 15:24:
Has anyone noticed this is all over an article from the Onion?

Sweet

News Comments > EA on C&C4 DRM
44. Re: EA on C&C4 DRM Mar 24, 2010, 18:22 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 14:37:
Jeff's entirely right that it should be thought about as an online-only game.

The 18 month countdown until EA yanks the servers that make the game playable starts now...

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2010, 13:42.

News Comments > Geneforge 4 Sales Figures
24. Re: Geneforge 4 Sales Figures Mar 23, 2010, 14:56 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 13:44:
Steam has proven time and time again that people will buy a 5 dollar game on an absolute whim

I'm one of those - I bought the everquest 18 pack or whatever it was for $5 not because I thought I'd be playing the game anytime soon, but liked the thought of having it around for a rainy day.

I've tried the demo's of his games. Pretty cool. I'd buy em all for $5 each. Not $28 though.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux Interview
3. Re: Peter Molyneux Interview Mar 19, 2010, 15:01 JohnnyRotten

"Imagine"

That's generally what we do with Molyneux products. Imagine how good it could be if he just executed on what he promises.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2010, 14:26 JohnnyRotten

Atomic wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 12:36:
I can't watch basketball; the "squeak-squeak-squeak" of the shoes is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

That and the fact that it's a non stop score-athon. A game in which the defensive gets stops less then 1/5 of the time just seems silly to me.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
26. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 19:27 JohnnyRotten

I'd be stunned if Ubisoft management was not warned that this kind of stuff was sure to happen as well as the problems with the general consumer and press backlash over such a draconian plan.

If true - then the really interesting story becomes "Why?" Why proceed when it was nearly a guaranteed cluster fuck in the making.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch
45. Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 13:17 JohnnyRotten

necrosis wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 08:44:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 23:11:
I bought my first Steam game a couple of weeks ago (Dragon Age Digital Deluxe version)... and while Steam still annoys me (with the steam UI popups, and the fuckin' ads after I exit the game)...
Ad's after the game? WTF are you talking about? I have digital delux steam version of DA:O and there is no such thing.

Steam UI popups? When? If a friend logs in? Thats about the only one I ever see once the game launches.

Same - I get no ad popups anywhere in/around steam or DA:Digital Deluxe. The only UI pop up I get is if I set the friends system to tell me when friends sign in.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
105. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Mar 4, 2010, 12:06 JohnnyRotten

I'm not sure if this has been covered already - but doesn't this put players in the same situation that EA caused with the "we're shutting down the servers for games less then two years old" ?

In other words, forcing you onto the SH5->SH6->SH7 bandwagon whether you want to go or not?

It'll be hard/impossible to play these games with the DRM in place without those servers.

And I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for an update from the company removing said DRM after the servers went down. EA certainly didn't make any effort there either.

Alarmist? Probably, but what the hell...

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 13:13.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Interview
84. Re: Ubisoft DRM Interview Feb 23, 2010, 00:34 JohnnyRotten

Overon wrote on Feb 21, 2010, 14:59:
Right now Ubisoft is relying on end user ignorance. The masses don't know about this DRM scheme, they are not informed but they will quickly learn when it goes bad and they can't play.

Or in 18 months when they take down the DRM server because the game didn't sell well (I'm looking at you EA).

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
48. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 21:10 JohnnyRotten

Yifes wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 21:09:

I guess in the end the problem lies with trying to rationalize Civ's abstract gameplay.

Yahtzee.

46. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 21:00 JohnnyRotten

Yifes wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 20:56:

One apache unit in Civ 4 cannot represent a thousand apaches. They cost $18 million each and only ~1k of them were ever built, compared to god knows how many spears there are. No, one spearman unit and one apache unit are not equal numerically, just like one aircraft carrier in game does not represent one thousand aircraft carriers.

I think you're missing the point - that the hasty generalization originally presented was so entirely one sided as to invalidate the premise.

I tried to present this by simply reversing the objects of the arguments presented (Apaches for spear men), which in my opinion makes the new argument just as ridiculous or just as plausible as the original statement.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
38. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a Feb 18, 2010, 20:46 JohnnyRotten

Flatline wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 19:51:

My first thought for a "death penalty" was to delete your account, invalidate your CD key, and delete the game forever off your hard drive if you die.

Now that I would play!

43. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 20:43 JohnnyRotten

Quboid wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 19:26:
Really?

How many spearmen? I don't know how many Sid Meier imagines but I'd guess a thousand, maybe ten thousand. What weapon does an Apache have that will take care of all them? And what if they don't conveniently all stand in one place? What if they take refuge throughout the city and pick the helicopters off when they're on the ground. If they have the sense to fight the battle on their terms, as they're perfectly capable of doing, the helicopters on their own aren't much use.

Really?

How many Apaches? I don't know how many Sid Meier imagines but I'd guess a thousand, maybe ten thousand. What weapon does an spearman have that will take care of all them? And what if they don't conveniently all fly in one place?

What if they take refuge hundreds of feet in the air and pick the spearman off when they're on the ground. If they have the sense to fight the battle on their terms, as they're perfectly capable of doing, the spearman on their own aren't much use.

See how that works?

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo