Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 369 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
26. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 19:27 JohnnyRotten

I'd be stunned if Ubisoft management was not warned that this kind of stuff was sure to happen as well as the problems with the general consumer and press backlash over such a draconian plan.

If true - then the really interesting story becomes "Why?" Why proceed when it was nearly a guaranteed cluster fuck in the making.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch
45. Re: Assassin's Creed II PC DRM Patch Mar 4, 2010, 13:17 JohnnyRotten

necrosis wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 08:44:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 23:11:
I bought my first Steam game a couple of weeks ago (Dragon Age Digital Deluxe version)... and while Steam still annoys me (with the steam UI popups, and the fuckin' ads after I exit the game)...
Ad's after the game? WTF are you talking about? I have digital delux steam version of DA:O and there is no such thing.

Steam UI popups? When? If a friend logs in? Thats about the only one I ever see once the game launches.

Same - I get no ad popups anywhere in/around steam or DA:Digital Deluxe. The only UI pop up I get is if I set the friends system to tell me when friends sign in.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
105. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Mar 4, 2010, 12:06 JohnnyRotten

I'm not sure if this has been covered already - but doesn't this put players in the same situation that EA caused with the "we're shutting down the servers for games less then two years old" ?

In other words, forcing you onto the SH5->SH6->SH7 bandwagon whether you want to go or not?

It'll be hard/impossible to play these games with the DRM in place without those servers.

And I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for an update from the company removing said DRM after the servers went down. EA certainly didn't make any effort there either.

Alarmist? Probably, but what the hell...

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 13:13.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Interview
84. Re: Ubisoft DRM Interview Feb 23, 2010, 00:34 JohnnyRotten

Overon wrote on Feb 21, 2010, 14:59:
Right now Ubisoft is relying on end user ignorance. The masses don't know about this DRM scheme, they are not informed but they will quickly learn when it goes bad and they can't play.

Or in 18 months when they take down the DRM server because the game didn't sell well (I'm looking at you EA).

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
48. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 21:10 JohnnyRotten

Yifes wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 21:09:

I guess in the end the problem lies with trying to rationalize Civ's abstract gameplay.

Yahtzee.

46. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 21:00 JohnnyRotten

Yifes wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 20:56:

One apache unit in Civ 4 cannot represent a thousand apaches. They cost $18 million each and only ~1k of them were ever built, compared to god knows how many spears there are. No, one spearman unit and one apache unit are not equal numerically, just like one aircraft carrier in game does not represent one thousand aircraft carriers.

I think you're missing the point - that the hasty generalization originally presented was so entirely one sided as to invalidate the premise.

I tried to present this by simply reversing the objects of the arguments presented (Apaches for spear men), which in my opinion makes the new argument just as ridiculous or just as plausible as the original statement.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
38. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a Feb 18, 2010, 20:46 JohnnyRotten

Flatline wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 19:51:

My first thought for a "death penalty" was to delete your account, invalidate your CD key, and delete the game forever off your hard drive if you die.

Now that I would play!

43. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 20:43 JohnnyRotten

Quboid wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 19:26:
Really?

How many spearmen? I don't know how many Sid Meier imagines but I'd guess a thousand, maybe ten thousand. What weapon does an Apache have that will take care of all them? And what if they don't conveniently all stand in one place? What if they take refuge throughout the city and pick the helicopters off when they're on the ground. If they have the sense to fight the battle on their terms, as they're perfectly capable of doing, the helicopters on their own aren't much use.

Really?

How many Apaches? I don't know how many Sid Meier imagines but I'd guess a thousand, maybe ten thousand. What weapon does an spearman have that will take care of all them? And what if they don't conveniently all fly in one place?

What if they take refuge hundreds of feet in the air and pick the spearman off when they're on the ground. If they have the sense to fight the battle on their terms, as they're perfectly capable of doing, the spearman on their own aren't much use.

See how that works?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2010, 19:35 JohnnyRotten

Hoop wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 12:25:
Lets just agree that Keyboard cat should play them both out.

Agree

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
34. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty Feb 18, 2010, 19:24 JohnnyRotten

I completely agree. STO needs a meaningful death penalty. The sooner it dies, the better for all of us.

Well, that's more like a death reward, but I digress...

News Comments > GPG on the Cost of Independence
19. Re: GPG on the Cost of Independence Feb 18, 2010, 19:22 JohnnyRotten

Hellbinder wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 15:22:
If you think the pshycopaths took over in 2000 and 2004 you are delusional. Those people are nothing but figureheads for the real people in power, and they dont give a rip about republican or democrat.

I agree with you brother! Long live our lolcat overlords!

38. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 19:19 JohnnyRotten

PHJF wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 18:02:
But where do you draw the line?

You draw the line at spearmen taking down AH64s.

Agree.

Also, spearmen vs AH64 battles don't take months. They take exactly the amount of time it takes for the AH64 to fly within a mile or so of the spearmen, press one button, and then fly home.

37. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 19:15 JohnnyRotten

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 13:03:
I skipped 4 even though I think it was likely better than 3..

I never could get into IV. Every game I played just seemed like I was a passenger on the trip. Maybe cause the computer players were a little less likely to go Ghengis Khan on you. I never had a game where I was defending on three borders from the various hordes.

In Civ III, it seemed like I always doing that. Seemed more exciting. IMHO.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 17, 2010, 18:54 JohnnyRotten

NKD wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 00:12:
ASJD wrote on Feb 16, 2010, 22:14:
It makes sense to stop selling a $2000 11 inch display, but I really hope OLED lives on to replace LCD tech...

Would be nice I suppose. I was more excited about SED and FED technologies, but those might never come to fruition. I think we'll be on LCDs another 10-15 years.

The potential of OLED technology is pretty awesome, to bad the current manufacturing technology makes them so expensive.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
33. Re: Here is the real reason. Feb 17, 2010, 18:50 JohnnyRotten

NKD wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 15:14:
All of these games are old, obsolete, or unpopular. The players of these games no doubt already own several other, newer, titles published by EA that they are already playing.

Madden 08 for PC is the last Madden for the PC. No more online games for Madden/PC anymore.

News Comments > Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming
17. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 16:03 JohnnyRotten

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 10:57:
...the planet-arium?

And now breathe deep as the stars being to slowly move...

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Feb 17, 2010, 15:55 JohnnyRotten

Ruffiana wrote on Feb 16, 2010, 21:51:
Try Life. I hear it's the ultimate MMO.

Bah. Worst grind of any MMO and a stupid, draconian death penalty.

I want to respec...

News Comments > Star Trek Online Ship Access Plans
6. Re: Star Trek Online Ship Access Plans Feb 16, 2010, 13:32 JohnnyRotten

Acleacius wrote on Feb 15, 2010, 23:09:
dlc or full expansion is my guess what he means.

Cryptic will find a way to monetize it somehow...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 15, 2010, 20:50 JohnnyRotten

In other things not news, Molyneux announces a bunch of amazing features for his next game that he won't ever deliver on.

Sorry, I'm a wee bit cranky today.

News Comments > Chris Taylor's Kings and Castles Announced
30. Re: Chris Taylor's Kings and Castles Announced Feb 15, 2010, 20:48 JohnnyRotten

Fantasy game. Yay.

Bored

369 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo