Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 361 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Europa Universalis III Chronicles for Free
5. Re: Europa Universalis III Chronicles for Free Apr 10, 2013, 11:51 JohnnyRotten

Hmmm, when I click on the link here (and the one I got in email), it says $29.99. Anyone still getting it for free?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
68. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2013, 17:30 JohnnyRotten

nin wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 17:18:
For here
Am I sitting in a tin can

I was just listening to ziggy stardust earlier...small world.

I played that over and over as I tried to make it to, and then after a few flights, land on the mun.

67. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2013, 17:25 JohnnyRotten

nin wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 17:16:
I spent a lot of time designing rescue ships that would link with old capsule and take it back to earth.

Were you able to do it?

Only twice. Some of my early designs didn't have a forward hatch. On those I tried to push them down out of orbit, but that generally ended in an explosion.

I had three with hatches, but the first time I brought one down the parachute location on the rescue vehicle caused spin issues, and the original capsule exploded when it hit the ground. I fixed that for rescues 2 and 3. It was really fun matching up the orbits and using RCS to join the ships. Got some cool screen shots laying around somewhere.

65. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2013, 17:17 JohnnyRotten

killer_roach wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 20:39:
NegaDeath wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 20:32:
I finally got a Kerbal into space...unfortunately for him I didn't plan very well past the "get into space part" so he's on a .....very long journey right now. Very very long.

"I know a boy who couldn't stand the ground
And always he was skyward bound
The saddest thing is he's up there now
But all he says is he wants to come down"
- from Phideaux's song "Kiteman"

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much (she knows!)
Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear...

63. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2013, 17:11 JohnnyRotten

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 20:32:
I finally got a Kerbal into space...unfortunately for him I didn't plan very well past the "get into space part" so he's on a .....very long journey right now. Very very long.

I've left a few of those behind. I spent a lot of time designing rescue ships that would link with old capsule and take it back to earth.

62. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2013, 17:07 JohnnyRotten

Dev wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 16:16:
Kerbal... fine, I broke down and got it.

After watching videos like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9lCOTfTQVk
(someone's attempt to make a space shuttle style vehicle)

I pretty much had to get it. Even though its not on sale.

Its great to see so many non AAA type titles on the list.

KSP is ridiculously fun. I played it for a week just to keep trying out different failure combinations before I turned to the wiki.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
103. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Apr 1, 2013, 00:24 JohnnyRotten

Bought the game based on comments in this thread. Just finished it. Wow. Just wow.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing
35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:49 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:37:
As for the server closures, it makes sense that you turn underpopulated servers into well-populated servers, but how exactly does this give the Asian players the "best play experience?" I guess the Force is stronger than latency?

Creston

Exactly.

In two years, we'll be having the same discussion about SimCity.

Sorry, couldn't resist. The shaudenfreude is strong with this one.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC
27. Re: Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC Mar 27, 2013, 11:40 JohnnyRotten

Preorder an EA game? What could go wrong...  

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2013, 10:23 JohnnyRotten

Dev wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 14:24:
nin wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 13:58:
Man, Arma 3 is raking it in...smart marketing move.

And look at you, Anno!

I've been enjoying that thing. Its different than classic simcity, but has some elements of it too. It's its own game, and a fun one.

Me too - bought it because it was recommended here. Having a lot of fun with it.

News Comments > SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed
61. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 17:40 JohnnyRotten

Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 17:31:
Aside from the legality and such like - how often do gamers threaten lawsuits? How often do gamers actually follow through?

There's few topics with quite as much hot air and impotent rage than a game launch and I'm not just referring to SimCity. Gamers threatening lawsuits deserve to be largely ignored.

As a class, they certainly do not seem to particularly threatening in any aspect.

59. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 17:37 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 17:21:
I'm going to step back here and say that I have both a law degree and an MBA. You're arguing about your opinion on law and accounting. I am not.

Ahh, now a MBA as well. Quite frankly, I'm not buying what you're selling. Your claims certainly aren't impossible, but as I recall, in the past, you had a bad habit in the past of being in whatever field best supported your argument. I could certainly be mistaken. Perhaps some of the old-timer blues news'ers could chip in here.

I also wonder if the old Blues News posts are still floating around somewhere in an archive somewhere. I think the last time I saw that you had whipped out the I'm in profession X, you claimed you were a lawyer (after previously stating you were in games doing graphic design for games or something posts before that).

Sorry, I know exactly 5 people who are lawyers who post on the internet (I've heard that there may be more than that). Until I have proof that you are one of that club, I'm not going to give your arguments any special weight because of your statements.

Regardless, I'm still going to challenge the veracity of your statements based on their content, not because of your attempts to argue from authority.

53. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 17:08 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:32:
You do have to book it somewhere. But the cost is the cost of distribution since it's a digital good. We're talking pennies. The cost of Crysis 3 is tens of dollars.

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:32:
And, when someone is claiming that you account for something the same when it's a real money loss as you do when it isn't a real money loss certainly makes me feel like an expert.

Thanks for making your position clear. This gives me a clear picture of your understanding.

52. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 17:05 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:21:
What damages are there?

This isn't the first bad launch. Where's the lawsuit for every MMO? Where's the lawsuit for D3? While this is probably the worst launch, the law doesn't really pay attention to degrees of wrongness so much as wrong.

I would think the primary job of the law was to determine the degrees of wrongness. The practice and execution of law over time seems to back this up this theory rather convincingly. There is not a single penalty for all laws (for breaking any a law, you shall be beaten with a wet noodle), and for most laws there are degrees of penalties, with mitigating and aggravating factors often being take into account.

Why would it go to anything beyond the botched launch? What did EA do wrong? Software is considered imperfect. Entire games have been sold that barely work, but so long as they work they're ok. What was that one? Big Rigs? Hard Rigs? It was a racing game that didn't even have collision detection. Anywhere. You fell through bridges in the tracks. Was there a lawsuit? No.
Why?
Because it's better to have a bit of buyer beware than to force developers to make perfect software (something that is 100% impossible.)
I'm not quite sure how you connect the legal dots from previous example products that did not perform as advertised (hint, hint), to thinking that this automatically binds the consumer or the courts to a value proposition akin to caveat emptor.

I'm sure I could, without a terrible amount of effort come up with hundreds of anecdotal examples of places where the ground seemed ripe for a lawsuit, but they didn't occur. I could also easily do the opposite - lawsuits without grounds. However, both cases would commit the biased sample fallacy, and would not prove my point. However, I would make the point that a lack of previous action on some cherry picked examples does not preclude future action. It's not a precedent when someone decides not to sue. Not suing, of course, may be prudent for many reasons that don't have to do with the "righteousness of the cause".

Are you complaining about the forced always-on, which the box clearly states is necessary, or are you complaining about the broken simulation, which no statute or court has every required?

I'm not complaining about anything, as I'm merely an interested observer here. However, I would point out that courts deal every day in specifics during cases that are not encoded into law. The legal system isn't a hard coded tool in which every decision point about every subject, and its details must be decided in advance. It's a framework in which broad principles can be used to determine if harm has come to one or more parties regardless of the specific and atomic complexity of the subject.

I'd also like to point out that there appears to be a case of special pleading in your arguments - that "gaming" or "software" is somehow outside the bounds of normal consumer and legal practices. I would certainly acknowledge that the technology industry has often caused the legislative and judicial branches a fair amount of heart burn because of its fast evolving nature. However, it certainly doesn't exist outside of either.

And you ask my how I come to the conclusion that no damages can be proven. What damages do you think are involved here?

Lastly, if any game this year would deserve a lawsuit it would be Colonial Marines, but even that has zero chance. Any complaint you could make about CM could be made, to a lesser degree, to every single game ever release (in most cases infinitely lesser degrees.)

Well, I'm not a judge, so I wouldn't be comfortable pretending that I knew what the chances of any hypothetical lawsuit based any any number of approaches could be, but "zero chance" seems to indicate that the power resides completely with one party here. That in, and of itself, would stumble across the inequality of bargaining power issue, which could lead to interesting consequences.

I think there are several angles one could take for both of these products. I've not looked extensively at either, so for both of these, I'm delivering opinions based on second and third hand perceptions of both.

For example, consumer protection laws that deal with warranty and guarantee. Sure, the publishers have come up with some interesting language to try to side step both, but can they? Sure, they've gotten away with it, but that doesn't bind the courts to their actions.

43. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:23 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:10:
Ug.
So, for one, EA owns the games they're giving away. They do not own Crysis 3. There are contractual issues to have concerns about. CryTek likely does not want their product to be given away for free just yet, as it devalues the product, even if they get paid for it.

I wouldn't disagree in the least with this statement. However, my question was how this was an accounting nightmare. Reading on...

For another, there are huge accounting differences between giving away something for free that you own and giving away something free that someone else owns. EA giving away DS3 costs it nothing. Nothing at all. There's a possible lost sale, but that doesn't show up in accounting. And there's the cost of distributing on Origin, but that's minimal.

This would be a particularly stupid way to proceed. You book the sale as a loss, and use that against your corporate taxes. You don't just let it vanish into thin air. Actually, I'm not sure if you can - I'm not an accountant, but I've got a feeling that even as a "gift", you'd have to record this somewhere.

If EA were to give away Crysis 3, though, it would have to compensate Crytek. They get paid per sale, unlike EAs internal studios. So EA would owe them money. There'd be arguing about how much, but let's assume it falls at whatever Crytek gets at a $60 sale. Assume it's 60% of that. EA would have to give Crytek $36 for each copy they give away. That's a real loss. That needs to show up on the books.
EA wouldn't be able to change the contract terms of amount owned to Crytek per copy. That's already been decided. The only way this would come into play is if Crytek was being compensated as a percentage of the retail cost, and not a flat fee per copy. I'm not a publisher, or the accounting end of a development firm, so I'm not sure of the normal contract practices here. However, this hardly falls under the definition of "accounting nightmare".

One is merely lost revenue, the other is real, actual lost capital.
I don't mean this to be a jerk, but is it that you don't understand how EAs relationship with these developers work, how accounting works, or did you just not think this through?

I did think this through, and found the specific comment made here as being specious at best, thus my question. Speaking in general, perhaps a better approach would be to attempt a conversation first instead of pretending to be an expert in all things, with opinions being dictated as infallible facts.

41. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:11 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:06:
Your HO doesn't really apply to legal facts...
Accepting this offer doesn't negate legal obligations. However, given that the issue here is a botched launch, there's also very little damages to be proven and, really, EA has little to fear from a lawsuit..

Why would a lawsuit be constrained to a "botched launch"?

Seriously, how does having to wait a long time, and having to wait 2 weeks until wait times disappear, damage you in the long run?

Why would the lawsuit be constrained to damage done to you "in the long run"?

The key to a lawsuit is damages. While the launch was insulting, no one can prove damages, and no attorney will bother with this because, without damages, there's no chance they'd make back their legal fees.

How did you come to the conclusion that no "can prove damages"?

38. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:00 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:50:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:41:
Where's Crysis 3? Anyway, I think a cool statement could be made if as many people as possible took SC4, regardless of whether they already have it or not.

EA just published Crysis 3. They don't even own the franchise.
EA developed all the games listed.

They can't necessarily give away Crysis 3, since they don't own it. Yeah, it's over Origin so they could just give it out for free then give CryTek the cash they'd have made on the sale, but that is a bit of an accounting nightmare.

How is booking a sale, regardless of the price, and then accounting for that sale to the developer an "accounting nightmare"? This is what EA does 24/7/365, literally millions of times a year. Having a cost of $0.00 doesn't make it any harder to record or compensate than a cost of $.01, or $googleplex (ok, the latter is pretty hard to record).

37. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:00 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:13:
EA offers pretty much their newest releases and you guys just see a trojan horse?

Buying SC and getting DS3 free isn't terrible. Doesn't make up for it, but people here saying "it's just marketing!" as if EA would be getting nearly the return in DLC some people think.

If anything I find it odd that they limited this list so much. It has their biggest recent games. Why not more or less include any game?

It is a trojan horse. There's obviously going to be lawsuits about the game, it's suitability, and the lack of refunds. Accepting this offer will basically make it impossible to participate in any such suit, as you have already been offered, and accepted recompense for your troubles.

As always, IMHO.

4. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 13:40 JohnnyRotten

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 13:22:
I'll credit them with compensating with some top notch stuff. Nice nod for them to add SC4. Still, by not including DLC, you can tell they view this as an opportunity to grab more cash.

It's another marketing move. How many of those products have $$$ DLC that isn't included here.

I can see the meeting now:

Let's offer some old titles up. For the newer AAA stuff, if they haven't bought it by now, they aren't going to. Let's make sure to offer the base packages and try to make some money on the side getting the suckers, sorry, idiots, to buy the DLC.

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
131. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 20:48 JohnnyRotten

Wolfox wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 20:32:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:44:
So thumbs up or down on Anno 2070? Looks good, but hard to tell from screen shots. Solid sim?

Let me put it this way - it's the best city builder I've played since Zeus: Master of Olympus. I've played it for more than 50 hours by now, I'm still having tons of fun, and I haven't seen even half of the content. I strongly recommend it.

Sold!

361 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo