Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 361 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Minecraft Nears 1 Million Sales, New Mine OS
38. Re: Minecraft Nears 1 Million Sales, New Mine OS Jan 6, 2011, 16:03 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2011, 15:21:
how Notch hasn't informed buyers about what they are getting,

You unsurprisingly missed the whole point of that discussion.

I got it fine - you complained that the seller of the product hadn't properly represented what the purchaser was getting for his $ (which was just silly considering the number of times the developer went out of his way to explain it):

Notch hasn't informed buyers about what they are getting

He really doesn't like this game. And he'll write pages and bring an army of strawmen to prove that you shouldn't like it either.

You unsurprisingly seem to not grasp what a strawman is.

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

Actually, rereading some of your stuff, I should have gone with bad analogies as the more prevalent. Here's a mix of both. You really are concerned what would we do if...

What no one is talking about...

What would have you guys done...

It's just not simcity

It's not legos

If Firestone tires were just beta

asking for money then hiding behind "beta! beta!"

What if Fallout: New Vegas and the Gears of War port were still marked as Beta today

Sorry if you just want to sit around discussing how awesome something is without being critical and moving beyond merely the game itself.

That would be a classic straw man argument. Oh the internet irony.

I didn't say any such thing. I didn't indicate any position in my post pro or con Minecraft. Just that you really disliked the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Minecraft Nears 1 Million Sales, New Mine OS Jan 5, 2011, 19:52 JohnnyRotten

Kosumo wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 00:08:
4 out of 25 (26 now) post are from you Beamer and you don't even like the game.

It's not you kind of game, there is no difficulty in it for you.

So why are you posting 4 out of 25 time in a thread about a game that you don't seem to care for at all? Should you not be killing people and conquering stuff and hanging out with people.

Your so uber with your "imagine far better things before falling asleep than anyone could build in years of MineCraft"

You win, next time we should make the thread more difficult.

Verno wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 09:04:
Why are you counting his posts? That's just bizarre and a bit creepy. The content matters, not the post count. He's on topic and you're just trolling. If you don't like what he has to say then criticize that.

I think it's a valid criticism. If we have a minecraft post by Blue, you have Beamer telling us how unimaginative the game is, how Notch hasn't informed buyers about what they are getting, how the core elements of the game are horrible (combat, crafting, etc), how dying in a car accident has some equivalence to purchasing the product, etc, etc, etc.

He really doesn't like this game. And he'll write pages and bring an army of strawmen to prove that you shouldn't like it either.

It's funny stuff though, so I say keep on posting. I can't wait to find out how I'm supporting terrorism by purchasing the game.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2011, 23:39.

34. Re: Minecraft Nears 1 Million Sales, New Mine OS Jan 5, 2011, 19:48 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 18:05:
The thing is that, once it's built, that's it. With MineCraft it's just you and a bunch of sheep - the building is up to you but the adventure is all Notch's imagination, not yours.

Two words:
Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Boom

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
34. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Jan 5, 2011, 19:44 JohnnyRotten

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 14:04:
No surprise that EA still is doing this. They've done it pretty much every year. If its so incredibly expensive to keep a game server up (which I doubt, I mean they could just run 50 servers in VMware setups), then how about if they do proper dedicated server setups so people can run their own servers? Then all they need to do is run a master server list, and even that can be changed as times move on. Like valve redid the server stuff (including the master server list setup) for half life 1 and CS when steam came out.

The Advocate wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 11:51:
Verno wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 11:36:

So what would be the business excuse for not releasing the server executables then?

Protection of intellectual property rights. If you give the methodology of an ongoing process or tangible good away for free, then there is the possibility that, in a court of law, it can be construed that you have released it in to the public domain.

Whether those of us that live in reality see it that way or not, it's all about covering your ass legally.

After all, you can't terrorize and sue the shit out of Grandma for "piracy" if your property has been deemed to be in the public domain.
So that means that every single freeware and shareware program (and hey even demos!) are automatically in public domain and no one owns the copyright on them since they are given away for free? Wow cool, because if stuff is in the public domain, I can just repackage it and sell it as my own and then I own the copyright. I'm gonna be a millionaire then.

Yeah, the original post could be summed up as "internet lawyer making shit up". Free is NOT automatically equal to releasing into the public domain.

News Comments > Shafer and Stern Join Stardock
2. Re: Shafer and Stern Join Stardock Jan 4, 2011, 20:21 JohnnyRotten

I'm having huge problems with the diplomacy in the latest patch. About 150-200 turns in, every AI turns against me and each other, regardless of former relationships.

Basically unplayable atmo

News Comments > No XP Battlefield 3?
119. Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 4, 2011, 09:32 JohnnyRotten

Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 09:58:
Here, go nuts:
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
Its a program called TreeSize that shows you gigabytes taken up by each folder (look at the screenshot to the right) in a nice graphical list format.

Sweetness! A program I like because it lays the disk or folder usage out in a nice pie chart is: http://sourceforge.net/projects/treepie/

Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 09:58:
You'll notice that the win 7 WINDOWS folder alone is going to be like 20 gigs or more, and thats not the only part of a windows install.

You can probably get a virgin install down to 5GB, but a working install is going to grow quickly. Plan for at LEAST 20GB of space for the operating system, more if you do anything that requires big installer caches or updated help files from M/S (Visual Studio, MSSMS, etc). You simply can't move or delete some things without causing downrange issues. Trying to change the sysvol size on the fly is tricky.

On the plus side, a 2TB disk is around $100 these days, so disk space shouldn't be the pivotal point in a build out these days.

News Comments > PC Leading BC2: Vietnam Battle for Hastings
11. Re: PC Leading BC2: Vietnam Battle for Hastings Dec 29, 2010, 13:24 JohnnyRotten

venomhed wrote on Dec 29, 2010, 11:52:
BF3 better be everything BF2 was and more, however:

If BF3 suffers from the same blatant hacking as BF2 did, many people will stop playing it after year 1.

Last time I got on BF2 an assault chopper could shoot 2 missiles at a time with 99% accuracy every 10 seconds. 1 man had 100+ kills and 1 death. He also denied hacking...

Ya, BF2 is like that really hot girlfriend you had.... that gave you herpes.

Agree. They could release BF3 with the only improvement being working anti-hack/aimbot/wallbot protection, and I'd buy it. I love FPS games for the first week or so, then the cheats come out, and the game becomes so compromised that it isn't worth playing.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2010, 00:46 JohnnyRotten

Happy Festivus everyone!!!  

News Comments > On Sale
33. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2010, 11:41 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Dec 24, 2010, 00:28:
Opflash Dragon Rising is 3 bucks today. that's just stupid value.

Creston

Creston - read mixed reviews on that one. I'm an ArmaII fan - is it worth picking up?

Never mind. It's a lousy three bucks. Buying it.

News Comments > Minecraft Enters Beta
42. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 18:27 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 16:57:
No one is answering what would happen if you bought a game at retail, or from Steam, marked "beta."

Bad attempt at an equivalence. A closer one would be "What if you bought a game at retail, or from Steam, that was marked "Alpha", had repeated, easily found on the sellers website (nearly impossible to miss) references to the state of the game and its development cycle, had a free demo from which to make a determination about quality, and when you wanted to purchase, warned you last time about the state of the game?"*

* This doesn't mention the simple due diligence that the purchaser could do away from the seller's website - reviews, previews, blogs, how to articles, you tube videos, etc. The entire wealth of the internet is there for the buyer who wants to be informed.

Not exactly a black box purchase. The man has done everything possible except come to your house personally to explain what you are paying for.

What would happen if you bought this game and then complained about the state of it? I would say self inflicted ignorance is not bliss.

41. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 18:18 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 11:59:
You realize you just confirmed his story, which you accused of being "made up", right?

I read his original comment as going to beta as a reason for changing the ORIGINAL terms of the sale; having reread his post I see that I misread it. The verbiage "the conditions governing the sale" threw me off. I read that sentence as the past tense form. ("the conditions governing future sales" maybe?)

Sorry Ventura. Thanks for the pickup Creston.

37. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 11:53 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 10:49:
Expectations ----should be in line with----> reality.

Not expecting people you charged money for a product to demand a certain level of quality != reality.

So it goes both ways.

The bottom line is that asking for money then hiding behind "beta! beta!" is disingenuous.

You know you can play the game for free (web version) before you buy, yes? The "level of quality" issue is a decision point that can be determined BEFORE purchase.

Also, the developer has gone through great lengths to point out the state of the game, and what you are buying. As I pointed out in another discussion: Minecraft is Alpha

One shouldn't blame the developer a failure of the purchaser to do the most basic due diligence (like reading the home page).

35. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 11:43 JohnnyRotten

Ventura wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 03:34:
Huh?

When he first started selling the game, he wasn't sure how well it would sell, and had a line about how if you buy alpha, all future versions of the game will be available for free.

The change was made because that promise apparently scared his lawyers (and the board), so by advancing to beta, the conditions governing the sale could be modified.

He tweeted all of this back on 12th December, back when he first announced that Minecraft would soon be going beta. It's not really ready for beta, it's just so that the terms could be changed.

I'm pretty sure you're just making stuff up. Here is what he said:

We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise

(emphasis his)

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/2175441966/minecraft-beta-december-20-2010

News Comments > Minecraft Beta Next Week
37. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 21:02 JohnnyRotten

That's another thing I love about Minecraft. Everyone who plays it has this idea about where to take the game - and no two people seem to agree.  

News Comments > Crytek on PCs versus Consoles
67. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Dec 1, 2010, 20:53 JohnnyRotten

Verno wrote on Nov 27, 2010, 10:02:
People also exaggerate it's success quite often, I've heard everything from "it makes 900k a day!!" to "Notch is a millionaire driving a ferrari thanks to Minecraft" on forums.

In 561 days since its release, he's sold 682,163 copies at 9.95 EU each. That's about 8.75 million US total, averaging around 15,000 US a day.

News Comments > Minecraft Interview
27. Re: Minecraft Interview Dec 1, 2010, 10:55 JohnnyRotten

Ventura wrote on Nov 26, 2010, 10:14:
Nor is it sold as a complete game, that's a falsehood, there are disclaimers all over the place before you buy that it's an alpha and it will have bugs.

You've got complete and unfinished mixed up. It's not sold as a finished game, but it is sold complete in that it's the only payment you need to make for it.

I wouldn't say the website's full of disclaimers either. The front page mentions potential instability at times, and the purchase graphic says you get 50% off during alpha. That's pretty much it. If there's a line somewhere about how he reserves the right to release updates without trying them out first because that's what the paying public is for, by all means, point me to it.

The first thing on the page (upper left) is a graphic that says
50% off during alpha. Pre-purchase now.

Under the main content logo is the text:
Minecraft Alpha [The latest!]: In browser | Download

After the what is minecraft graphic, in news it says
Minecraft is still in alpha, but is rapidly nearing beta. I've only got one more feature to add; multiplayer support.
I'm renaming the old version of the game "Minecraft Classic", and will be slowly phasing it out. I won't remove it, though. Just hide it.

The next paragraph after that says:
The main branch of the game is currently called "Minecraft Alpha", and is under heavy development. It can be a bit unstable at times, so don't get too attached to your save files yet.
You can read more on the development blog, or here.

Under purchase now, it says:
When Minecraft is finished, it will sell for 20.00.
If you pre-purchase now during alpha, you pay just 9.95!
The price will go up at beta.

Please note that when you buy the game, you're paying for the game as it is right now!
You will receive any and all future updates for free as a bonus. Read the copyright information for more information.

The website IS full of disclaimers about the status of the game. I think the only way he can say "alpha" more is to actually have "alpha" before AND after the word minecraft - alpha minecraft alpha is in alpha.

His blog is also up to date on game status, the changes he's made on every release, and the changes he's planning. I'm not saying he's been the most agile developer (a little development joke there), but I don't think he's misrepresented the game.

For those who don't get the game - I tell my friends that it's like being able to go back to your childhood to play with Lego's and Lincoln logs. You build amazing creations and then blow them up (without the mess).

News Comments > OnLive Reviewed
35. Re: OnLive Reviewed Nov 22, 2010, 15:36 JohnnyRotten

space captain wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 14:51:
15 years is a long fucking time when it comes to information technology

seems pretty retarded to think that network speeds will be no different

This will be the first time I've agreed with SC. Networking technology has changed enormously in the last fifty years. It's easy to tell - nothing made fifty years ago will even function on the current backbone (ethernet is only 30 years old) without something made much more recently to act as an interpreter.

One might point out that streaming Netflix videos as a product that wasn't really doable ten years ago on the network that never changes.

Saying that one part of the OSI hasn't changed (and I don't even agree with that) and then equating it to no change in any other part of the model is just silly. Creston - Robert Metcalfe, Radia Perlman, and other networking giants would like to have a word with you. In the dark alley behind hasty generalization street.

On the specifics of OnLive, the latency issue will always be there, but eventually it will be closer to a speed of electricity/light issue then router processing/queuing delay, which has gone down significantly in just the last few years (orders of magnitude when compared to fifty year old packet switching technology).

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
134. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 12, 2010, 10:53 JohnnyRotten

I would love to be there to tell you I told you so but, I have no memory!

Whatever competes with and/or replaces Steam isn't going to be retail. Retail simply can't compete with digital - digital can stock unlimited copies of everything, forever. Retail stores have limited space.

If you don't want to use Steam, fine. But if you're waiting around for those pre-digitial distribution "good olde days", well, that ship has sailed, and it isn't coming back.

Steam/SteamClone II, Steam/SteamClone III, Steam/SteamClone IV, etc. is what you are going to get.

News Comments > Civilization V Live Video Stream Today
38. Re: Civilization V Live Video Stream Today Sep 14, 2010, 15:56 JohnnyRotten

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 15:52:
and bathing yourself in sex, rapes, violence towards innocents

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck!

Hellbinder is the only troll I don't block on these boards. He really makes me laugh when he posts. Good times...

News Comments > Civilization V Preorder Bonuses
11. Re: Civilization V Preorder Bonuses Sep 14, 2010, 15:53 JohnnyRotten

Tumbler wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 21:02:
$10 off through direct2drive with the code SANDIEGO and you get to register the code on STEAM!

$39.95 out the door!

Thanks Tumbler - just ordered.

361 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo