Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 16:46 JohnnyRotten

And so, once again, pirates have a better experience then paying customers.

The paying customer can't resell the game.

The pirate can*.

* Although one could make the point that the pirate can *give* it away as well...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubi DRM Thwarts Review
53. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 16:31 JohnnyRotten

nin wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 09:07:
Finally installed Origin so I could launch my copy of Madden 2008 for PC. Game wouldn't launch. Kept asking for a username/password, but kept failing with a can't "contact the registration" server.

I'd be surprised if they still had those servers running. EA is notorious for sunsetting products.

This wasn't a request to sign in to any kind of Madden online server - this was the main EA Auth servers. I was just trying to launch the game, not start any kind of multi-player match.

EDIT: This is also Origin specific - the game worked fine until they wrapped the Origin client around all their digital downloads.

News Comments > Ubi DRM Thwarts Review
38. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 19:42 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 14:08:
Steam's "Preparing to launch" thing is horseshit. WTF are you preparing, Steam? A fucking sandwich??

Creston

My solution to this problem has been to delete all the directx files for all my steam games. This seems to get the steam tool to jump right past the "preparing to launch" shite.

For some reason, on my computer, it seems to think that the DirectX/physX/whatthefuckX stuff needs to be re-installed on every launch.

And to hijack the thread slightly (we seem to have wandered a bit anyway), I ran into a nice little DRM problem myself today.

Finally installed Origin so I could launch my copy of Madden 2008 for PC. Game wouldn't launch. Kept asking for a username/password, but kept failing with a can't "contact the registration" server. After dancing around with support for about 2 hours, I was told that this problem was known (since May!) and wasn't going away. However, I was free to go away.

5 minutes later, I had the crack downloaded and the game running. I'm seriously getting tired of having to expose my computer (and home network) to the risk of malware that could be in cracks just to use the product I lawfully purchased.

Fucking DRM.

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 22:29 JohnnyRotten

Flatline wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 15:34:
And in doing so, it's sounding the horn to rally all the other bullying, hate-filled people to join the cause. Makes it easier to identify them.

Yahtzee

News Comments > Mobilization
13. Re: Mobilization Dec 28, 2011, 19:31 JohnnyRotten

Dades wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 17:44:
Beamer wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 17:36:
Why should they what? You're missing the point. The question is "why isn't there consumer interest if it's a good product?"

You're the one missing the point. Being not terrible when your competitors are both great and entrenched isn't enough. ...

Agree completely.

I'd like to add that anything MS does that is perceived as "consumer friendly" is really about control through a walled garden. Manufacturers and carriers don't have the option to customize the device, because that customization might move the consumer away from the MS monetization ecosystem

I also believe that the huge consumer distrust of anything Microsoft doesn't help them either.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Announced
63. Re: World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Announced Oct 23, 2011, 14:07 JohnnyRotten

Fion wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 16:05:
...and fist fighting each other

Ummm... Kung Fu?

News Comments > Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games
54. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 19, 2011, 17:31 JohnnyRotten

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 13:35:
You can't put a price on bad PR either. The Netflix brand was consumer adored before this incident, they bungled the whole thing from start to finish. It hurts future promotions that could potentially have any negative impact to the consumer and it's going to be very expensive to get that trust back.

Yeah, the bloom appears to be off the rose here. It would seem that they've lost the trust of the community, and that could be a killer for them in the long term.

IMHO, the better approach at the onset would have been to talk to the customer about the problem of rising prices for content leasing versus the subscription cost. Create a sense of "them vs. us" that the community could have embraced on the same side as the company.

Instead, we get a marketing email framed as an apology in which they basically announce they're doubling down on their first mistake with the Qwikster rollout.

Their approach and tone seems to have created the "them vs. us", but putting the company and the customers on opposite sides of the fence.

Not to smart, IMHO.

News Comments > Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games
53. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 19, 2011, 17:19 JohnnyRotten

InBlack wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 09:39:
Yeah, way to go Netflix. Why not simply put a HUGE banner to thepiratebay on your main site and get it over with?

What?

News Comments > Steam From Dust Refunds
34. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 14:42 JohnnyRotten

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 13:58:
people who might be casual pirates

I disagree Verno, until an actual crack comes out its unbreakable. Thatís a win for Ubi. Try and word it any way you like, but there are no cracks for this game. So, Iím right in what I said. This also leads Ubi to belive their methods are working.

If you want to quibble about the wording then go right ahead but its not unbreakable, it's uncracked and we all know why.

One might also point out that if Hawx had "unbreakable DRM", EVERYONE would be using it, and nothing would be crackable anymore...

News Comments > Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A
51. Re: Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A Aug 23, 2011, 18:24 JohnnyRotten

Jerykk wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 20:00:
The title at question here is
The Elder Scrolls

Notch's trademark is
Scrolls

Which is a clear violation, no subtitle , no unique title (in fact, you probably shouldn't be able to trademark the word "Scrolls" to begin with...)

That's not a clear violation. Zenimax didn't trademark the word "Scrolls." They trademarked "The Elder Scrolls." That's three words arranged in a specific order. If they trademarked "Scrolls" by itself, they'd have a legitimate case. But they didn't.

A bit late to the game, but if anyone is still listening:

Itís my opinion that there several people here have misunderstood the basics of what can/cannot be trademarked in general as well as what legally "protecting" a trademark is.

A good case for trademark can's/can'ts to look at is Windows vs. Lindows case. Ultimately Microsoft ran for cover on that one because the Linowsí lawyers made headway on convincing the judge that the word "Windows" is generic enough not to protected under trademark law. Scrolls is a very generic and widely used term, and it would be difficult to enforce in either direction (right of exclusive right, and derivative enforcement).

Trademark protection as it has been discussed here has centered around one aspect of protection Ė dilution. Trademark dilution falls under the Trademark Dilution Revision Act (2006). This is a reasonably new law (implementation is still being kicked around by lower courts), and changed the Lanham Act (1946) in several important ways.

One interesting change that I think applies in the 2006 law that deals with dilution is this: "Entitles an owner of a famous mark that is distinctive to an injunction against another person who commences use of a mark of trade name, after it has become famous, in commerce in a manner that is likely to cause dilution by blurring or tarnishment, regardless of the presence or absence of actual or likely confusion, competition, or actual economic injury. "

Couple of things I find interesting from this:

"...a famous mark that is distinctive". This might sink the battleship for any party trying claim "scrolls" as a trademark, or a dilution of an existing trademark. Distinctive is a legally loaded word in this context, and it would be interesting to see what turned up in an argument for or against distinctive.

"...is likely to cause dilution by blurring or tarnishment, regardless of the presence or absence of actual or likely confusion, competition, or actual economic injury." This is a big game changer - you don't have to prove dilution (as was required per USSC decision on Moseley v. V Secret Catalogue). Basically, if you can prove your mark is "famous" and "distinctive" you are pretty much home free.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
103. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 15:39 JohnnyRotten

Guess I'll have to wait to purchase the game until the crack from the pirating community comes out to defeat this "feature".

Nice having to depend on the "bad" guys to make your product from the "good" guys usable.

- JR

News Comments > Steam Summer Camp Sale Begins
52. Re: Steam Summer Camp Sale Begins Jul 1, 2011, 14:12 JohnnyRotten

Anything for the 7/1 sale day that is worth checking out?  

News Comments > EVE Online Player Exodus?
46. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 29, 2011, 17:44 JohnnyRotten

I loaded up excel, but what currency does what crashed it....  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2011, 17:16 JohnnyRotten

grangle..  

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Today
7. Re: Civilization V Patch Today Mar 1, 2011, 20:10 JohnnyRotten

Verno wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 15:57:
Performance is really increased, they weren't kidding around. No more lag while turns process and the actual processing itself is sped up quite a bit. I'll look into the AI changes more tonight but it didn't seem like much in the patch notes unfortunately.

Let me know if they fixed the idiot unit AI. I quit playing on a huge map where everyone did the denounce/war thing on me, and I held off 6 AI player armies with 7 units on immortal. They did manage to pillage a single mine however...

News Comments > Portal 2 Preorders, Specs
41. Re: Portal 2 Preorders, Specs Feb 15, 2011, 20:40 JohnnyRotten

Drezden wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 18:07:
I liked Portal, don't get me wrong, when it was part of the Orange box and came with TF2 and Episode 2.... I loved the humor and everything.

I just don't see Portal 2 as being worthy of a 50 dollar price tag alone. It's a puzzle game, Doesn't matter how long it is.

I was hoping for the Orange(r)(er)(er) box myself. Such is life...

News Comments > DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever"
14. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 12:10 JohnnyRotten

Mead wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 11:32:
I didnt even go back to the beta after a couple hours of bog-standard missions.

But who knows, it might hang on for quite a while. There's just no telling these days.

Same. It just seemed so dammed bland. I couldn't even bothered to play the free beta version more then a few times.

You really got to hit it out of the park these days to pull in longtime subs, and this game just seemed more of the same.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 16:45 JohnnyRotten

I've got a set of 26" Westinghouse monitors that are complete crap.

Let us know which way you go Blue, I'm curious to see whats out there that's good.

News Comments > DC Universe Online Trailer
21. Re: DC Universe Online Trailer Jan 12, 2011, 20:13 JohnnyRotten

My short review based on the PC Beta:

Meh

My longer review:

It's ok. Nothing special.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2011, 16:27 JohnnyRotten

I'm going cowboys, bucs, broncos, dolphins.

What do you mean they aren't playing?

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo