Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JohnnyRotten
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 17, 2008, 21:55
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 46743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2015, 23:24 JohnnyRotten

...a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
104. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2015, 19:37 JohnnyRotten

dsmart wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 15:17:
The RSI one, is bullshit. They had no cause to terminate my account, thereby robbing me of my tangible goods (which I could use, trade, sell). I didn't violate their TOS, and even then, I got no warning.

From the Kickstarter ToS: "You can refund individual pledges if you want. After your project has been funded, you can cancel and refund a backer’s pledge at any time. If you do, you have no further obligation to that specific backer, and no agreement exists between you."

It also seems to me they've taken the position that the KS ToS is the relevant contract "Our ToS (or in this case, the Kickstarter ToS) allows us to...". But if you want to say that the RSI ToS is the governerning document, from the RSI Terms-of-use: "YOU AGREE, THEREFORE, THAT YOU WILL NEVER ASSERT OR BRING ANY CLAIM OR SUIT AGAINST RSI, ITS PARENT COMPANY, DIVISIONS, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OR ANY EMPLOYEES OF ANY OF ABOVE, WHICH IS RELATED TO OR BASED ON, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO; (I) A CLAIM THAT YOU “OWN” ANY VIRTUAL GOODS IN THE GAME, (II) A CLAIM FOR THE “VALUE” OF VIRTUAL GOODS IF RSI DELETES THEM (AND/OR TERMINATES YOUR ACCOUNT) WITH A REASONABLE CAUSE AT RSI’S SOLE DESCRETION, (III) A CLAIM FOR THE “VALUE” OF VIRTUAL GOODS THAT YOU MAY LOSE IF RSI DOES ANYTHING THAT IT IS ENTITLED TO DO PURSUANT TO ANY PROVISION OF THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, THE EULA, RSI’S PRIVACY POLICY, OR ANY OTHER RSI TERMS, AND/OR, OR FOR ANY MALFUNCTIONS AND/OR “BUGS” IN RSI SERVICES, (IV) A CLAIM THAT THE “VALUE” OF ANY VIRTUAL GOODS HAS INCREASED OR DECREASED BY VIRTUE OF ANY GAME MODIFICATION THAT RSI HAS MADE OR WILL MAKE."

The KS clause is purely at will, and RSI is "WITH A REASONABLE CAUSE AT RSI’S SOLE DESCRETION (sic)". Both the descretion and discretion are solely based on RSI stating they have a reasonable cause. They clearly stated that their cause was "because he was using Star Citizen as a platform to gain attention as part of a campaign to promote his ‘Line of Defense’ space game." Furthermore, " But sometimes we take a look at a user and decide that they’re so toxic or their intentions are so sinister that we simply don’t want them associated with Star Citizen."

IMHO, seems reasonable to me, with you clearly hawking your products in your missives.

dsmart wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 15:17:
They talk about transparency, yet, they haven't addressed a SINGLE one of the 7 issues I raised in the article. The fact that people don't think that CR allegedly flying around in private jets, or hiring his brother and wife to high profile positions, accounting for the money, etc let alone the issues with the project, is telling.

That's because they are not, and never have been, under any obligation to reply to anything you say.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2015, 20:47.

News Comments > Op Ed
89. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 20:46 JohnnyRotten

panbient wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 20:40:
Then again I suppose that's why there's more talk in regards to more regulations with crowdfunded endeavors.

I'm sure if/when the $85M goes up in smoke, there will be a politician somewhere that will take up the battle cry for the publicity justice.

News Comments > Op Ed
87. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 20:20 JohnnyRotten

panbient wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 20:02:
Where the language being used is that backers are providing donations doesn't it become kind of like a charity of sorts? Don't individuals have a right and ability to get a basic overview of how the money is being spent prior to making a donation to the United Way or Red Cross or whatever? It's nice to know if the money is mainly going to the needy or just back to more fundraising efforts, most don't care how much a receptionist is getting paid.

See my other post for my take on the crowdsourced private=public argument that DS is trying to make. The term "right" implies a legal (not moral or ethical) construct. So the kickstarter contract and whatever contract CIG offered for donations on their site would be applicable.

Red Cross/United way are formed as non profit charities. These have very specific requirements for accountability in governance and reporting. Cloud Imperium Games is a corporation registered in Delaware, and falls under the state rules there for corporate behavior and governance.

As a bit of history, Delaware is very* friendly to businesses. The Delaware General Corporation Law statutes and courts that enforce them are about as pro-business as possible (second goes to Nevada). I don't have a hard stat to back it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number of incorporated businesses in Delaware exceeds the number of citizens.

* very, very, very, very

News Comments > Op Ed
85. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 20:00 JohnnyRotten

Realized I'm beating up on DS a bit here - I actually support his conclusion that this is never going to happen.

I'll give him this - it's a juicy article, full of innuendo, promises of things to come, and grandstanding about what federal agencies and courts will be doing. It's possible he's really on to something here with the moral issues of nepotism, poor use of funds (private jet? Awesome!), etc. Not so much on the agency/court front, which is completely fictitious. Still a good read though.

I see this whole bit as 50% fan service for the black knights (of which I count myself one of) and 50% marketing by DS for DS. If he could have avoided the temptation of the latter, I think it would have gone a fair way to rehabilitating his image on the inter-tubes.

However, the problem with a lot of his "demands" is that we are talking about a private company, and leaving aside the crowdfunding business for a second, they can make as many poor moral and ethical decisions as they want. That's the nature of business in general. His wife may not be the most qualified person to run a department, but honestly, how many people here can identify with having to deal with an incompetent in a management position. It's unfortunate, but for better or worse, they don't get locked away. And neither, as a rule, does the person doing the hiring.

DS is trying to create a connection between a crowd funded private company to a public company, with fiduciary responsibility to their stock holders.

It's an interesting concept, but IMHO, not one really grounded to a legal framework.

Still, I'm eating the popcorn by the bucketful right now...
Popcorn

News Comments > Op Ed
81. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 19:45 JohnnyRotten

panbient wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 19:35:
Where he's no longer a backer he's no longer got the right to make the request as a concerned project supporter / investor / donator / sucker / whatever.

That's one of the straw men - no private individual has the inherent legal right to demand the PNL of a private company in and of itself, backer or no. How would you do that? Is there a standard form? Is there a disclosure time limit? A cost for gathering the information? In what form must the PNL disclosure take? At what level of detail? What information could be considered privileged? Must it be certified by board members?

Ludicrous.

Now the issue of his standing in general to file any sort of legal claim based on his now refunded original investment could be an interesting one. Not sure how he could show any kind of harm though.

News Comments > Op Ed
68. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 18:20 JohnnyRotten

Overon wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 17:55:
...I don't like what passes for good arguments on the internet. It's irrelevant if Derek Smart is a toxic unjustifiably arrogant narcissistic self promoting pathological liar. Even pathological liars don't lie all the time. So again epistemic humility is called for. Instead of addressing the allegations that Derek Smart made, the response is that he's toxic and we are going to give him a refund. Why not just address his arguments.

I think the simplest reason is that he is, regardless of his arm waving, a competitor in the same space. Business's aren't required or expected to give competitors a podium and a microphone. To do so would be foolish.

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 17:37 JohnnyRotten

Tumbler wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 17:33:
The Icing on the cake here is that his pledge package, assuming it's the Connie plus all the physical extras, would likely sell for a lot more if he just traded it to someone on the star ships trading subbreddit.

r/Starcitizen_trades

LOL, the package that cost $250 at the start was the Rear Admiral with LTI. (Life time insurance) The link above is listing that package for sale and $500! And he'll probably get close to that number. Price checks I found over past week seem to say you should get $400-$500 for that package.

Derek Smart LOST money on the refund!

Meh. It's his money.

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 17:24 JohnnyRotten

Tumbler wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:47:
I believe I can clarify this. We refunded Mr. Smart’s package because he was using Star Citizen as a platform to gain attention as part of a campaign to promote his ‘Line of Defense’ space game

Hahah, that is exactly what it looked like to me. Some sort of snow balls chance in hell that people would try his game and abandon star citizen. Or more likely just because Star Citizen has a lot of fans if you talk about it then you get a lot of eye balls looking at your game that wouldn't otherwise.

He's not being to subtle about it either. You could turn it into a drinking game - for every embedded link and/or reference in his missives to his products, drink. I'd say drink twice for every straw man, argument from authority, or begging the question, but even with wine coolers you'd go blind.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 16:18 JohnnyRotten

Necrophob wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 15:30:
Wraith wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 15:19:
On the one hand, I think Star Citizen is lurching towards disaster.

On the other hand, Derek Smart is an unsuccessful pseudo-developer who has no idea what he's talking about and no writing skill to speak of.

So technically I can't lose. Either way, some shithead is going down.

Sort of reminds me of the escaped Mexican drug lord Guzman, who just tweeted a threat to Donald Trump.

I think that sums up the craziness of modern society in one simple sentence.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 14:41 JohnnyRotten

To court? Expert witness?

Even when he's trying to be sane he's certifiable.

News Comments > Op Ed
303. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 19:50 JohnnyRotten

Sepharo wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 23:35:
You don't really need Blue to figure that out. All the comments and forum posts are available all the way back to June 2001

Beamer registered in 2003. So unless you're referring to some alias we don't know of you'll have his entire history. Comments are searchable by poster and forum wide.

Beamer: "I've been here since the late 90s, just didn't register this name until the day IGN bought VE3D."

Wish the old forums were still here - it was really entertaining at the time when he got called on his expert-on-everything routine. I wasn't the one who noticed it initially, just compiled the list once that snowball started to roll down hill. He changed his board name some point after that I believe.

He's certainly gotten better (and smarter in his SME claims) in his trolling over the years since then. Although he still has to have the last word, which is always fun when you have two people that have that same OCD issue on the same thread.

News Comments > Op Ed
265. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 17:34 JohnnyRotten

Sepharo wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 04:01:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 03:50:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 20:45:
He's not a lawyer. He's claimed to be about a dozen things to position himself as the subject matter expert de facto on everything until I called him out on it years ago on the old forum. Then he just stuck with his last lie.

That's all you need to know about his credibility on any subject.

Links, or you're just blowing gas your your ass.

Hah yeah, "old forum" like the one from 15 years ago? I don't think Beamer's been around that long.

Don't remember when the last forum upgrade happened, again that's a Blue question.

News Comments > Op Ed
264. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 17:33 JohnnyRotten

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 03:50:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 20:45:
He's not a lawyer. He's claimed to be about a dozen things to position himself as the subject matter expert de facto on everything until I called him out on it years ago on the old forum. Then he just stuck with his last lie.

Links, or you're just blowing gas your your ass.

I don't think the old forum posts are around anymore. Maybe Blue has them up somewhere.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
148. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 29, 2014, 20:59 JohnnyRotten

Julio wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 06:27:
Thanks for all the links ASeven, great reading. Looks like there are plenty of people on the internet who are becoming the real gaming journalists now...And for some reason I'm now associating a 'Game Jam' as when a SJW is screwing a member of the gaming press.

Agreed - you've help bring the most clarity to the subject on these threads.

News Comments > Op Ed
133. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 20:45 JohnnyRotten

ASeven wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 18:12:
Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 18:03:
Fair enough.
But, again, unlike you, I don't spend every waking hour compiling an obsessive, massive list of these things.

Seriously, you just pulled those up in about 5 minutes.
Does this not seem unhealthy to you? How angry you are?

At this point your agenda is pretty obvious and I don't think I owe you any explanation, it doesn't make any difference. You stick to your own circular logic and refuse to move out of it. Just FYI, this info is easily found using google in a minute.

Also, love your passive-aggressive ad-hominem there. Weren't you taught to avoid that in any discussion in law school?

News Comments > Op Ed
132. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 20:36 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 17:54:
ASeven wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 17:50:
The hypocrisy of SJWs in a nice article.

Can you please stop putting up links without context and, for once, spell out your own argument.

Keep posting links.

News Comments > Op Ed
65. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 17:47 JohnnyRotten

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 20:33:
The problem that most people have with SJWs is that they demand immediate agreement and obedience to their opinions on all three of these topics. If you agree that there is sexism, but you disagree with the scope of it, you are a sexist. If you agree that there is a larger problem with sexism in the gaming community, but you don't agree with them on how to fix it, then you are a sexist. The SJW has no allies, only sock-puppets or enemies. That's it.

Yahtzee

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 19, 2014, 20:19 JohnnyRotten

I just use mine for Madden (a character weakness to be sure), and media center stuff. Are there any decent games for it? Everything looked like cookie-cutter shooter type stuff.  

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2014, 13:50 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 11:23:
I look at numbers mostly on games I had no plans to buy. If I see something very high that wasn't on my radar, may as well check out why. If I see something very low, it can be entertaining to read just how incompetent the devs were.

We're on the same page here. If I see a 1/10, the review is generally worth reading just for the schadenfreude alone.

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo