Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D-Rock

Real Name D-Rock   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname D-Rock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Old school gamer in search of innovation and new ideas -- a rarity in the gaming industry these days.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 9, 2008, 23:41
Total Comments 148 (Novice)
User ID 46185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
135. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 18, 2012, 12:11 D-Rock

Bhruic wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 16:45:
Sure, if the other side weren't fighting back, maybe resting on one's laurels would work. But when you've got various religious groups out preaching about the evils of homosexuality, you have to keep your message alive, or you'll end up losing ground.

Please check out the second comment (by someone that goes by 'blyan') from the original article. It's clear that even in the gay community there are different opinions on the effectiveness / 'appropriateness' of an event like this. That post sums up my most important point and blyan did it much better than I could. Sorry for the rambling -- like I said in an earlier post -- brevity is not one of my strengths.

I've grown tired of this thread and have no interest in fighting with you guys about this. We've all shared our opinion on the matter and I hope we can each respect each other's opinions going forward. The Blue's News folks are a great bunch of people - of every demographic. Go play some games and think twice before you call someone a 'fag' or 'gay'.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

133. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 17, 2012, 16:14 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 15:49:
So you're not saying that you "make[e] good decisions and surround[ed] yourself with friends and family that have a positive impact on your life."

That doesn't mean I was born into it. I made my life what it is today.

any time someone comments on a point you make you retract a bit

I haven't retracted -- only clarified.

the original article really has very little political in it.

You're right. There's very little politcal content in it. That content is the only part I don't like.

I mean, the whole point of GaymerCon is a place for people to play and not constantly be told that being gay is a bad thing

I know. Perhaps some developers will be influenced by this event and provide more end user controls so they can determine who they do and do not communicate with?

This offends you, and you've been absolutely rambling in your definition of why. It appears even you don't understand why. Clearly not because you're a bigot, though you're wholly unable to articulate why this bothers you enough to make dozens of posts.

I'm not offended, and I'll admit that brevity has not always been one of my strong points. I do understand, and the reason for so many posts is:

1) People keep replying and giving me reasons to reply back
2) I'm persistent. If I believe in something I will not stand down. It's my persistence that's brought me to where I am in life. Not the place I was born into, but the place I wanted to be and have achieved.

131. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 17, 2012, 15:38 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 15:27:
And aren't you fortunate to have been born into an environment that allows this, despite your claims of understanding what life is like for a poor minority?

I never said I was born into that type of environment. Why do you assume that? It was actually a very abusive environment. Again, you don't know me well enough to make that claim.

130. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 17, 2012, 15:35 D-Rock

Bhruic wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 15:00:
Where are you getting this idea that anyone involved in this group - the creators or the participants - is sitting around whining about how life is so hard and unfair. Rather, it seems like what they are doing is attempting to be pro-active about it, and ensure that they have an event that they can enjoy without the negativity they get in other aspects of their life.

I never said the organizers and participants were sitting around whining. They are doing the right thing. Just take the political spin (which was indicated in the article) out of it. Hopefully a minority attendee who previously felt hopeless can get a positive out of it -- make new friends, etc.

No, it's not going to change the mind of your "backwoods, redneck" but it's not supposed to.

Then remove the politcal aspect of it. It's useless.

The more exposure that people have to something, the more "normal" it becomse.

Of course, but I'd wager that 99% of the attendees already consider homosexuality normal. Agree? Disagree?

Young people rather overwhelming supports homosexuals for that very reason. It's not about this generation, it's about the next.

Well if the majority of young people support it, not much else needs to be said. The next generation is taken care of -- they'll pass it on to their children.

128. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 17, 2012, 15:18 D-Rock

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 13:36:
It's about supporting the gay community rather than bunch of closed minded people.

I thought you said it was also about creating awareness? That's what I was talking about.

You don't know what it feels like, so don't even DARE try to talk about it.

Or what?

There are many ways to build a support system. What is your problem? It's not affecting you?

You're right -- it's not affecting me. There's no problem here. I just presented my take on the matter. You don't have to agree with me.

Speaking from LIFE experience. You have a different one obviously?

Everyone has a different life experience -- obviously. So, in the interest of opening one's ears and listening, use this web site as a resource. There's lots of links to click on and topics to read that make it clear that not everyone who enjoys games fits the old school gamer stereotype. You said earlier that it's not easy to spot a gay gamer? It's not easy to spot a gamer period. Just like it's not easy to spot someone who is gay.

What does this have to do with gaymercon?

It was a conclusion to me describing the positive relationships I've experienced with minority-classed people. In this case, homosexuals. It's about making good decisions and surrounding yourself with friends and family that have a positive impact on your life.

124. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 17, 2012, 12:13 D-Rock

Please, enough with the bashing. All I'm doing is sharing my personal experiences and observations and the opinions I've formed as a result. I'm allowed to speak about those things as much as you are and your condescending tone is completely unnecessary. I don't respond to you that way and I expect the same level of respect.

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 00:17:
By your own admission you don't get it, so why don't you start listening? It's to create awareness. It's to correct misinformation.

Me asking what their agenda is not an admission of 'not getting it' -- it's rhetorical. Perhaps I should have asked 'what do they think they are going to accomplish'? In my opinion, not much, and that's what I've been trying to say all along. I'm sorry if I haven't been clear.

I'm well aware of the fact that they are trying to create awareness. I don't condemn them for that and as I've already said, I celebrate and encourage that. I just think they are going to be disappointed in the effectiveness of the politcal and social aspect of their agenda. I don't expect you to agree with me on that -- that's certainly not the popular opinion.

We (society) do get it -- we've known about homosexuals and their desired rights for decades now and have had the opportunity to form our opinions on it. Do you really think the backwoods, redneck citizens are going to suddenly start accepting homosexuality? OK, maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but please, tell me -- what demographic will have their opinions changed for the better as a result of this and other homosexual events?

Married men enjoying the occasional bit on the side with a fellow man for example, "don't tell my wife" is their battle cry.

While you really don't need to inform me of how homosexuals and bisexuals live their lives (like I said -- I'm well aware), this one stands out. It's very disrespectful to one's wife to sneak around and cheat. It completely goes against the vows that the man and the woman agreed to. It's morally reprehensible and I despise any social movement that encourages it.

You have not been clear at all about your experience with "discrimination". In fact you are becoming extremely vague in your posts.

See post #117. How much detail do you want? My point is that I have experienced the emotional trauma that results from discrimination. Logically I can't say that I truly understand what a homosexual goes through, but I do know that any kind of emotional turmoil is a horrible, horrible thing. You don't need to hold a convention to build a support system -- I think others should do it on an individual level and get better results. Am I expecting too much?

When you create an event that promotes equal rights that is not complaining.

I never said they were complaining. I said a key part of their agenda is ineffective.

But on the other side you have a social responsibility to give back by becoming more and contributing to the world to make it a better place.

I'm not sure what your point is with this statement and I don't see how it ties in with what immediately followed it. No one in this country (world?) should be required to be socially responsible -- it should be a choice. Otherwise, it's just forcing a belief on someone. While unfortunate, if someone wants to sit on their fat ass all day long and collect wellfare and watch TV then they should have the right to do that. No, I don't repect that lifestyle but who are we to take that choice away from them if it doesn't infringe upon someone else's rights?

You can't go through life with your head down, side stepping issues. Pretending everything is fine. We have come a long way, we have a long way to go as well.

Sure you can, and everyone should have the right to do so if they choose. I don't like that mentality and I'm pretty sure you don't either. Just ignore those types of people and get on with your life.

Gamers really don't get out much and lets face it. Gamers aren't exactly the most willing people to go out and socialize at the best of times.

I was really surprised when you said this, given your apparent open-mindedness. This is an ancient stereotype. These days gamers have successful careers, a successful social life, and even get laid on a regular basis. For almost two decades I've had my own social network of gamer friends and we all party, have successful jobs, get laid, get married, participate in sports, etc. I find it hard to believe that this isn't the case for the majority of gamers these days -- read through the Blue's News posts and you'll see many references to activities outside of gaming (unless Blue's News users are a bunch of liars).

When you do live in a society where being gay is frowned upon by many religious groups and ignorant people. Having a safe haven to go where everyone in the room is perfectly OKAY with you being who you are is a huge relief and you will NEVER understand that relief until you understand the level of discrimination we are talking about here.

Don't assume to know what I understand. Obviously I don't understand what it's like to be homosexual and the negative social aspects that come with it, but if you generalize the concept stated above I do understand. Are you going to condemn me because I haven't had that exact life experience, or can you be open-minded and accept the fact that I have had enough negative emotional experiences to relate to it. I'm relating to it in the best possible way I can, using what life has handed to me. Do you want me to just quit trying?

Creating a safe haven in which homosexuals can play games without fear of discrimination is the best part of GaymerCon. The political statement that they are trying to make is a waste of time in my opinion.

So please, open your ears and perhaps your heart and listen.

Perhaps I'm overreacting, but I see condescention in that statement. Enough already.

I have just as many gay friends as straight friends. I work side by side with them. They respect me, and I respect them. We hang out after work. We go out on the town, grab a bite to eat, attend sporting events, grab a beer together, etc. Imagine that -- a network of friends that's a mix of homo and hetero, getting along together and respecting each other. Heck -- I enjoy hanging out with some of my homosexual friends more than I enjoy hanging out with some of my hetero friends.

Why does it work? Because no one sits around and whines about how life is so hard and unfair. We choose to enjoy life by making good decisions and moving ahead no matter what the past has brought us. Carpe Diem, Baby!

As a side note, I noticed in my original post that I typed majority instead of minority in one sentence. I've corrected that mistake -- hopefully that didn't influence your opinion but if it did...reread.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2012, 16:41 D-Rock

Sepharo wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 21:00:

I don't think you need to be qualified to predict that if everyone was packing in that Aurora theater and all drew their weapons that there'd be some friendly fire. It's not much of leap.

Actually I'm not entirely sure you're responding to the right post given that you're talking about Canada and crime statistics and he's talking about friendly fire.

Who is qualified to make the call on this?

Batman? What are your thoughts?

121. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 16, 2012, 16:35 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:35:
Actually, I do know it didn't happen every waking moment of your life. No white male in America has experienced more than a few moments of what it's like to be a woman or a minority. It's entirely impossible.

Wow...seriously? Please, back those words up. Who actually does experience discrimination 'every waking moment of their life'? How do you know all about my life?

Yes, you were ridiculed and called names for being a minority, but what happened if you walked into the nearby Walgreen's? What happened when you applied for a job? What were the expectations for your life? Who where your role models?

Do you really want to know the answers to those questions or are you trying to make a point? Based on what you said in the first part of your post you've already figured out exactly who I am.

This is all the major things you're missing while focusing instead on the minor issues like "no one looked like me."

Your words - not mine. I never said it had anything to do with how I look versus how anyone else looks - it runs much deeper than that. Please -- stop telling me about how I feel -- you can't read my mind.

You sound bitter on this topic and I'm curious -- do you fall into a minority category? What are your personal experiences with discrimination? Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to share privately -- I can and will respect that.

120. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 16, 2012, 16:17 D-Rock

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 19:56:
What about Women's groups? It's suppose to be about celebrating differences.

'Women's groups' is pretty broad. I'm not sure why you even brought that up.

If those that are different felt invited, wanted and not abused in common groups then they wouldn't feel the need to have their own group.

There's nothing wrong with forming your own group. Everyone has felt uninvited, unwanted, and abused at some point in time in their life. So welcome to real life. I associate with the people I like and who respect me, and ignore the ones I don't like -- it's an important life skill.

You can create any group you want. You are free to do so. You would have some criticism as ALL groups do.

It's great to live in a country where you are free to organize. I agree that pretty much any common interest group will receive at least some criticizm (heck -- that's what I'm doing to GaymerCon).

What is their agenda anyway? Sure, have a convention with nothing but homosexual gamers so you can game safely, but at the end of the day you go home and the homophobic trash-talkers are still there. My opinion is that singling themselves out is a waste of time -- but to each his/her own.

So, let's all just give up?

Those are your words -- not mine. Don't imply that I meant that in any of my posts.

No, fuck that.

I'm glad to see you don't agree with that mentality either.

I'm going to strive for perfection until I find it. Tolerance, peace for all and yada yada yada. It's a dream to reach for, better than humanity tearing it's self apart, wouldn't you say?

You lost me at 'perfection'. Dreams are great but at some point you have to live in reality. It's how you handle reality that determines where you go in life.

Not sure what you are saying here? Sounds like "Get over it and move on". You have no understanding of the issue do you? - that issue being discrimination.

See my previous post so you can understand my experience with discrimination. I'm not sure if 'get over it and move on' is the best choice of words, but if you want to accomplish dreams and goals in life you pretty much have to do that when you encounter obstacles. If you decide to stop when you hit one of those obstacles and just sit around and complain that it's not fair, that's your choice.

What are you on about here? It sounds so far off topic.

I figured that the average Blue's News reader could relate to that. The point is that 'making' things fair is not always a good thing. There's a lot of time wasted on that in this Kindergarten country we live in.

118. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 16, 2012, 15:31 D-Rock

Bhruic wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 19:43:

Approved by who? AFAIK, there's no one that is required to "approve" a group of people having a meetup.

Apparently I don't understand the details of how Meetup actually works so thanks for correcting me as far as that goes. I'm going by information others have provided me in conversation and apparently I've got bad information. I was merely using Meetup as an example based on what's been shared with me about groups specific to race.

What you effectively seem to be arguing is that everyone that is "different" in some fashion should do their best to hide that fact and not call any attention to it. If they just pretend hard enough to be "normal", perhaps people will leave them alone and stop picking on them.

Apparently I'm not communicating effectively because that's not what I'm trying to say. Everyone is different. I'm not asking anyone to hide their differences and fit a specific profile. There is, however, nothing wrong with 'going with the flow' in society and being proud of who you are despite your differences. I see too many people rocking the boat for attention and not actually being productive with it.

Why is it that as soon as someone wants to form a group for something with which people have issues, they are just grand-standing and calling attention to themselves?

I have nothing wrong with someone exercising their right to organize and their right to free speech -- I encourage it.

Organizing with a political or societal change agenda is grandstanding and calling attention. That's the point of it. My point is that it's a double edged sword. You'll get attention, but the minute you label yourself a minority or disadvantaged, you're reinforcing that wall that was put there in the first place. Do something more productive with your time...

117. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 16, 2012, 12:50 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 17:03:
You didn't whine about it because it didn't happen every waking moment of your life

Also, I don't really see any whining anywhere other than from, in your own terms, white middle class males who feel that everyone experiences life the same way they do...

You don't know enough about me to make either of those statements.

Don't assume I've never experienced what it's like to be a minority. I lived the first 16 years of my life in a neighborhood and school where I was the minority. I've been ridiculed, called names, bullied - I do know what it's like. Instead of whining about how hard it was and that I needed special treatment, I worked hard to better myself and my environment. It wasn't fair but I didn't let that stop me.

Please add something constructive to this thread -- something that's based on what you know, not what you assume about me.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2012, 13:31.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2012, 14:01 D-Rock

RoboNerd wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:32:
...and you will only make the mistake of ordering large fries once.

Mistake? Mistake?!?

I always get the large fries and at the end of the meal I waddle out of the restaurant with a huge smile on my face...

56. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2012, 13:51 D-Rock

El Pit wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 14:52:
Police officers should be the only people to wear arms, everybody else should keep them at home.

Ahh yes. Let's take one step closer to the liberal ideal of a police state. That will stop the lunatics for sure.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2012, 13:39 D-Rock

El Pit wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 16:35:
Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 15:23:
I carry a gun every time I go to the theater. And the mall. And the grocery store. And...

Funny, I've never made the news. Oh, wait. Maybe it's because I'm not dumb enough to carry it around in the open, in a theater that JUST EXPERIENCED A MASS SHOOTING. Derp.

Imagine that: everybody in the theater is armed, and one guy starts shooting. What could be the result? EXACTLY: dead people everywhere, innocent people shooting at other innocent people. Remember: the gun in your hand, of which you know that you would only use it in self-defense, is a threat to everyone else who sees you with a gun in the hand. The other people don't know that you would never shoot at them except to defend yourself.
Everybody armed in a complex situation like a shooting in a populated area/place would contribute to a massive bloodshed, shooting at whom they would identify as a possible mad killer, with the innocents being the one to suffer the most.

Wow -- just saw this thread -- and this appears to be the post that started the big gun debate.

I just have one question -- what qualifies you to make the call on this scenario? What is your background? Do some googling on the statistics that Agent.X7 referred to and then present this argument with facts. Comparing the US to Canada is apples to oranges because there's more to take into consideration than just crime numbers between the two countries. The reduction in crime when people carry in the US is the key statistic and a very simple one you can make an educated decision on.

The fact that you started this post with "Imagine" speaks volumes. If this is a realistic scenario and not just something you've "imagined" -- please back it up with some solid logic.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2012, 13:47.

113. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 15, 2012, 13:15 D-Rock

I could care less about people's personal preferences or the way they were born, as long as it does not have a negative impact on me. The right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is a very important concept that's one of the ideals that defines what this country is all about. This group of gamers has done nothing wrong and deserves to speak freely, congregate in a legal manner, etc.

While I understand that an event like this that has a political statement that's meant to create awareness, I think it hurts more than it helps. They are making a very clear statement that they are different from the majority and they want to be recognized and treated fairly, but by doing it they are also reiterating that they are different. It puts up an even bigger, thicker wall when they make the statement.

It's ironic that I look on meetup and see plenty of African American groups with common interests -- it's like they're saying "hey, I'm a minority and I want to make everyone aware of it". Yeah, that's helpful -- remind everyone that you're a group that gets singled out by singling yourself out. It's behavior like this that makes the race card a deprecated and ineffective method of getting what you feel is fair. Most people don't take it seriously anymore.

Let's say I'm a white middle class male and I want to start my own meetup group. Let's call it "White Middle Class Male Gamers". How long do you think that group would stay in existence (or would it even be approved as a group in the first place?). Suddenly it's not fair to me -- because I'm a majority I can't exercise my right to free speech and tell everyone how proud I am to be the person I was born as. I seriously doubt I'd be able to (on an 'official' level)congregate with people in my specific demographic that have a common interest without being labeled a hate group. Think about it realistically -- does anyone think something like this would NOT cause enough controversy to be next to impossible to establish or maintain?

This all brings me to a simple point -- life isn't fair. No matter how hard you try to make it fair, that level of perfection will never be attainable. There are consequences for the choices you make in life, and there are even consequences to who you're born as. While technically I'm not a minority, I've experienced what it's like to be one many times in my life and I know it's not fun. I didn't whine about it, got on with my life, and did the best I could with the resources I had. It's the way I continue to live today and others respect me as a result of it. I respect myself because of those decisions.

Imagine if every multiplayer game you played had a handicap that balanced things out for all players. How would you feel if you were highly skilled and never got the opportunity to realize the results of them? Would you truly be happy if all you had to do is blindly click to win a game and nevery really learn anything from it?

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2012, 09:36.

News Comments > Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift
32. Re: Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift Aug 4, 2012, 09:54 D-Rock

Cutter wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 03:50:
Yeah and how many other games will utilize it? $300 is an expensive peripheral for what may not amount to more than a few games. Shit, I'm still waiting for 64 bit to be realized in a major way. Remember Intel's MMX and how that was supposed to change gaming? How about SLI support? 3D? etc. Every few years we get some cool new code or device that's supposed to change everything and it ends up falling by the wayside much sooner than later or never realized at all.

There's a bit of irony in JC's decision to go down this technology path. He's the same person who preached that there's no need for pricey peripherals designed to process sound and physics in games (and even indicated that he thought they are a waste of $$$).

Now he's designing an expensive peripheral device that is unnecessary and only a small percentage will likely have. It will be interesting to see what level of success this product will have, considering others like it have had minimal success.

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Trailers
33. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 7, 2012, 11:22 D-Rock

InBlack wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 09:11:
My mistake. The renderer was very similar to the Doom engine, apart from the mouselook and jumping/ducking, which was revolutionary at the time.

Sorry -- no mouselook either for DF. Just a single axis for the mouse -- just like Doom. There was a 'keyboard look' function though. It was only really useful for checking out maps above and below you, which was a necessity because the maps were actually 3D (i.e. multi-level, not the BSP method Carmack used in Doom).

Lucasarts had a really good thing going with DF and JK. It's a shame things started to go downhill after X-Wing Alliance (with the exception of some licensed titles developed outside of Lucasarts).

I'm really disappointed in this next offering. Is it really that difficult for them to justify putting the time into more X-Wing / Tie Fighter games? Heck, if they came out with a verbatim remake with nothing but a new engine I'd pay full price on release day.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
261. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 16, 2012, 15:26 D-Rock

nin wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:23:
I show BB will ship it?

Thanks. When I tried their web site earlier today it wasn't available for order online. Strange. It says arrival date will be between 5/23 and 5/28 -- not sure if I can wait that long lol.

259. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 16, 2012, 15:21 D-Rock

I've tried Sears, Target, CompUSA, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Newegg, Amazon. Anyone have any other ideas?  

257. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 16, 2012, 15:12 D-Rock

Verno wrote on May 16, 2012, 14:49:
Your best bet is to luck into one at a Wal-Mart or other big box store. They're going as high as $300 on Ebay so...good luck

That's what I was afraid of. I've had so much of my time wasted by retail when looking for specific items I'm hesitant to go out and look. I tried a Best Buy yesterday because their web site said it was in stock at the location near me (yeah I know -- call first Annoyed ), but when I arrived at the store there was NOTHING even remotely related to Diablo III anywhere. No games, strategy guides, mice, headphones or any other accessories. I couldn't even find someone in the store that even knows what Diablo is (a huge WTF moment for me). It's like it didn't exist.

I'll keep my eyes open. Does anyone know if there are any retailers that will get them back in stock?

148 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo