Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D-Rock

Real Name D-Rock   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname D-Rock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Old school gamer in search of innovation and new ideas -- a rarity in the gaming industry these days.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 9, 2008, 23:41
Total Comments 148 (Novice)
User ID 46185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
131. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 09:54 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 09:41:
Jesus Christ. They're having a fucking convention. They're not asking you personally to attend, or to pay for it, or to fucking approve. They're just having it. You're the one that keeps whining about things, then complaining that you're not whining, then complaining that you're perfectly ok with gay people you just don't think they should be allowed to congregate in groups of more than 100 if video games are involved and they want to discuss the fact that they're gay and happy about it.

I'm not sure I can speak completely for RollinThundr but some have taken this thread beyond GaymerCon. I don't see very many people being negative about GaymerCon. Most of the negativity seems to be coming from a general dislike of gays or a dislike / disagreement with their social and political agenda.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

129. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 09:49 D-Rock

Bhruic wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 09:30:
I wasn't twisting your words, you stated that pointing out that they are different is going to call negative attention to themselves. Which is just another way of stating that people shouldn't call attention to the fact that they are different.

No it's not. I'm saying that it's been said before and the more people have to hear about it, the more they are going to get sick of it. Most of the American people have made up their minds already and the 'loud' aspect of the agenda just creates an annoyance. We get it. You exist. We've formed our opinions on you. You've been recognized -- what else do you want?

You're acting as if these ideas are contradictory. As if you can't both be politically active as well as standing up for yourself.

Your words, not mine. If you read my prior posts you'll see that I encourage standing up for one's rights on an individual level. Make that your focus when the lines are crossed. Put your time and energy into that, because that's what will get you somewhere. Marching down the street and yelling doesn't right the wrongs, it just makes a lot of noise. Look at how effective Occupy Wall Street was.

And, frankly, the fact you keep talking about voting (and ignored the huge section on non-rights issues) just proves you don't get it. You can't legislate opinions. If you want to be treated equally, you have to stand up and demand equality, because if you just sit there passive, people are going to walk over you.

Keep talking about voting? I've been preaching exactly what you stated above (again, read some of my prior posts). Stand up for your rights and the changes you want and do something about it. That's not passive. And legislating opinions? Huh? Of course you can't. Legislation always has logic backing it -- that's not opinion.

Things like gay pride parades and this GaymerCon are a way for LGBT people to stand up and say "we're here, we're not going anywhere, and it's about time you got used to that fact". And considering the resistance to that fact that they get (especially in the US), it's a message that needs to be continually hammered home.

And you think that's going to help? Whose mind will it change? Like I said, us non-gays get it,and we've already taken our stance. What makes you think "hammering home" is going to make a difference? It sounds like you want to force-feed the idea to people at this point. That's not what this country is about. Do something that's actually effective if you want change.

126. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 09:30 D-Rock

Lighten up everybody -- I think everyone's had their say.

Let's hijack this thread again. Anyone watching the debates tonight?

My money's on Romney.

123. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 09:04 D-Rock

Bhruic wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 18:26:
Ah, yes, the old "you're allowed to be different as long as you don't tell anyone that you are different" line.

Don't twist my words. The gay community can say anything they want and I never said they had to be "allowed" to do so. I'm of the opinion that it's ineffective at this point and will likely work against them.

We get it. You have a different preference than the rest of the country. We've heard it time and time again. We've formed our stance on the matter and the percentage of people whose mind could be changed for the better by your constant attention drawing activities is miniscule. Stop drawing the line in the sand and start putting your efforts towards making the changes that truly affect you (don't ask don't tell, same sex marriage, etc.). Get involved in politics beyond just shouting. Call your congressman / woman. And at the very least - VOTE. Can you believe Prop 8 was allowed in the first place? In a state that's primarily democratic?!? I find that hard to believe. Get out and vote and do something productive with your time...

111. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 15:09 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:46:
I already posted a Christian one, where are the pitchforks for that.

<Grabs pitchfork> I think the Christian one is pretty silly too. Don't get me started on that one...

110. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 15:03 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:03:
or you think that both sides have some credible opinions (which isn't ok. This isn't something like abortion, in which both sides make statements that have validity, even if only in a vacuum. This is something where one side's opinion solely comes down to not liking the other.)

I disagree. Both sides have credible opinions. I'll agree that the 'against' side has some pretty weak arguments, but they are still entitled to those opinions, which should be heard and do go beyond "don't like".

-Religious -- Those against it for religious reasons don't necessarily not like it -- they just choose to support a set of values that doesn't allow for it and they feel it infringes upon their beliefs. I know someone like this and it definitely sounds contradictory, but who am I to judge her or her opinion on it? She has her US citizenship and she's entitled to it.

-Adoption -- It goes beyond the basic concept, but the question does come up -- some say children are healthier when raised by biological parents, or have a male / female role model. There doesn't appear to be enough data that points in either direction to say for sure what's healthy or not, but it does certainly seem to lean in the pro-gay direction.

Again, both weak arguments, but valid ones (that admittedly, I probably haven't presented well, but I don't really agree with them anyway).

It's obvious you've already made your decision on where you stand (DUH!) and if I had to decide I'm sure it's pretty clear where I would stand. I still think anyone is entitled to their opinion and I can't fault them for that.

102. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 13:22 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 13:03:
There's no reason to be respectful to an anti-gay-marriage argument.

Perhaps if you'd read my posts you would understand that I'm not against gay marriage. I'm not for it either. I'm undecided. Would you like to change my mind? Here's your opportunity.

If you're disrespectful, however, how could you ever expect me to vote in favor of a demographic that doesn't respect me?

101. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 13:14 D-Rock

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 12:58:

Pissy? What do you mean? How was what I said at all pissy? I don't own a handbag, I don't get pissy mate.

Perhaps I misunderstood and something got lost in my translation, but doesn't bold text and CAPS indicate an intensity beyond a normal tone?

I'm just trying to get you to think of the other side for a second.

I am thinking about the 'other side' -- which is why I'm asking the questions. For the record -- I haven't taken sides. I'd just like to see someone list the pros and cons. Based on responses so far, there don't seem to be any cons.

Don't you agree it would be good for the economy?

Absolutely.

Disagree. It's a personal choice. It is very personal. It's up to each and every couple. What couples do with each other has nothing to do with anyone and there's no reason to comment on what other couples do.

When did I say anything about personal choice? I was just referring to how society views marriage and how that view has changed. Of course it's a personal choice. What exactly are you disagreeing with?

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2012, 13:24.

98. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 13:01 D-Rock

yuastnav wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 12:38:
The question is not why gay people should be able to marry.
The question is why the hell it is forbidden for them to marry in the first place. That sounds like an arbitrary law, why not get rid of it?

Marriage in this country has religious influenced origins and has always been defined as a relationship between a man and a woman. I'd say that clear definition makes it more than just arbitrary. That's obviously changing and the issue at hand makes the question of why gay people should be able to marry the most important question. The answer to that question will ultimately determine whether or not it becomes legal.

If it's important to you, why not take the time to positively influence someone who's indifferent?

96. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 12:41 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 11:58:
Can someone please educate me on the detriments of same sex marriage?

I think any of us that have had a friend unable to visit his loved one in the hospital because certain policies apply only to immediate family can understand the benefits of marriage.
You know, other than telling people they're full parts of our society.

I do appreciate the input -- that's a good point you brought up and I never really thought of it until now.

Did anyone in this thread ever say anything against same sex marriage?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I detect condescending sarcasm in your post. Your knee-jerk emotional responses are getting old.

Do you accept the challenge of reading, at least trying to understand, and replying with a respectful response?

93. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 12:33 D-Rock

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 11:55:
Do you say this to Women all around the world?

Wait a minute -- I thought you were 'done'? Or is that just with RailWizard?

I would say it to feminists. The other women I know of either do something about it when their rights are infringed upon or live in oppressive nations where only the occasional brave one stands up. Let's keep the 'world' out of this thread though -- when you get into other nations you open up a whole other topic.

Can you please explain the benefits of NOT allowing same sex marriage?

No need to get all pissy about it -- I asked someone to fill me in on details I might not be aware of. If I'm the one being educated here, why should I be expected to be the one to explain something?

Marriage is a concept that is becoming less of a necessity in our society. No, it's not dead, but relationships outside of marriage are perfectly acceptible in our society. That's why I want to know more about what people see as a benefit to same sex marriage. Either way, I don't care, it's just out of curiousity.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2012, 12:47.

86. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 11:38 D-Rock

Bhruic wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 09:09:

You can't seriously be trying to suggest that systemic prejudice is equal to isolated incidences.

Nope, I'm just responding to your post. This is about respect, not equality. Don't generalize for any demographic, regardless of status. As a white middle class male I feel that what you said is disrespectful. How can anyone meet in the middle if they don't show respect for an opposing party (or an opposing viewpoint, like on a message board)?

Right, we shouldn't try and make everyone equal, we should just accept that some people are going to be treated worse based on something they had no control over, and not make any attempt to rectify the situation.

Those are your words, not mine. I put 'make' in quotes because I'm referring to the attitude that you can 'make' people have a specific belief or opinion on something. Forceful and loud social agendas rarely do anything to change someones mind. People need to put time into standing up for their rights when they've been infringed upon. That is much more productive.

Rectifying the situation would be putting one's time and energy into expanding upon existing rights and opportunities. The only one I'm aware of that is unequal is same sex marriage. Someone, please educate me on the benefits to same sex marriage. The only thing I could come up with is tax benefits. Is that really all it's about, or is there more to it than I'm aware of?

What other rights are there that gays do not have?

By all means, point out the "wrong" that the minority is committing by trying to have their GaymerCon.

I never said there is anything wrong with GaymerCon. Again, I was responding to your generalizations, which were in response to discussions that strayed off topic. Feel free to keep it on topic.

I encourage others to exercise their right to free speech and right to assemble. I would hope that a convention like this would allow others to develop a support system that encourages people to stand up for their rights in a situation where they've been infringed upon. I'm glad that homosexual gamers can find a place to play games with others without being called gay in a derogatory context (heck, I'm straight and I can't stand it when people use that kind of language in games).

I just hope that people don't think that something like this will influence a political or social agenda for the better, or they will be disappointed. If you keep advertising that you are different and deserve recognition, you too have drawn the very line that you are trying to erase.

80. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 08:56 D-Rock

Bhruic wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 18:28:
You've got one group of people who face prejudice on a regular basis, and you've got another group that doesn't.

Your "explicity straight" group wasn't being harrassed in the first place. What exactly is your group supposed to be for?

People already don't look down on your "straight white men" because of their sexual orientation. The idea that there's some sort of equivalence between the two groups is ludicrous.

Weak argument. You're assuming that the so-called majority here hasn't experienced intolerance from gays. I've experienced it myself and seen it dished out to others -- hatred, intolerance directed at those they assume hate and are intolerant of them -- instead of stopping to think that there is someone that actually does respect them despite differences.

Sure, the numbers aren't equal, but how do you put a number on behavior like this? Trying to find a way to 'make' it equal goes nowhere, and just because someone is a minority doesn't give them the right to degrade a majority. Two wrongs don't make a right -- don't assume the minority is always right, and don't assume the majority has never been wronged.

62. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 16:59 D-Rock

RailWizard wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 16:46:

Sooo, do you think they would mind if we start a explicitly "straight" gamer group? You know, where we sit around and do all the things you mentioned(act like normal straight people that is..) and NOT GIVE A FUCK? Fair is fair, right? I mean, a long time ago people worked to get rid of segregation, but apparently they were all a bunch of fucking idiots because now the very types that actually were oppressed are now drawing the lines around themselves. Yes, I'm talking about more than just gays now...

Can't say or do anything anymore without some suitcase full of issues getting offended about it these days, BUT THAT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL. Nothing to see here folks...that is unless we are insulting one of the currently 'PC' things to insult that is. Then it's open season. Just don't be Christian, Straight, or White, and you can say whatever you want and if anyone makes the terrible error of insulting you, well bad things will ensue.

Enjoy your little party, just don't expect it to advance anything except your own (deluded)rationalizations. Now go ahead and make some stupidly witty remarks to make yourselves feel superior.

I'm D-Rock, and I approve this message.

59. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 15:03 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 13:42:
at nearly any of these conventions, you're likely to have people going "that's gay" or "you're gay" or "that kill was gay," or somehow using homosexuality as a negative.

In my experience immaturity and / or bigotry are the catalysts for this type of behavior. It tends to either go away with age or never go away at all. I ignore people like this and either:

a) Mute / block / ignore / ban / etc. (if the option is available)
b) Find a new server
c) Call my friends and play on a password protected system

57. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 14:00 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 13:42:
Also, where is it "gay only?" Do you think they make you have sex with a man before letting you register?

ROFL Laugh2

50. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 1, 2012, 13:11 D-Rock

UnderLord wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 19:32:
We're not the divisive ones, if other people want to believe they're a 'downtrodden minority' it's all in their heads, not mine.

...bringing back one of the original statements that turned this into a trash-talking, "your opinion is wrong" thread...

I agree that the ones who draw the line create the division. It's ironic that those who want to be accepted as a normal part of society go to such measures and in the end just call out how different they are. All it does is slow down the social agenda / goal they have. Bigots / generally hateful people have a tendency to continue to behave the way they do regardless of social / political movement. I only see people change that behavior if they have a personal experience that affects them for the better.

We have laws in this country that protect citizens from discrimination. While they are not perfect, it's really more effective to take advantage of these protections on an individual level when your rights are infringed upon. Idealistic? Maybe, but if you don't use them, you lose them.

All this being said I believe in freedom of speech and the right to assemble, so I could care less what anyone does as long as it's legal and doesn't infringe upon someone else's rights. That's my contribution to the homosexual community...

And as another contribution -- someone, please educate me on this whole gay marriage thing. Why is it so important to the gay community? The only thing I can come up with is for tax benefits, but I haven't taken much time to think or read about it since I have very little interest in it...

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
5. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:40 D-Rock

Wow. I was thrilled to see this news and upon reading further it turns out to be an even bigger disappointment than the long development time. Taking the time to finish it won't bother me at all -- it's been so long already that I wouldn't even notice. 'Releasing' it unfinished is an insult to us fans that have been waiting patiently.  

139. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 18, 2012, 17:25 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 13:56:
Or is it because they're born into such poverty and such a culture where change is impossible because, by the time they're old enough to even realize a change is needed, it's already too late?

This is unfortunate and happens too much -- even in this country. With an attitude where you hear words like "impossible" and "too late" that guarantees change won't happen. That's probably the majority attitude in that type of environment.

A minority percentage of that population will make it out of there to live very successful and healthy lives. Every once in while you'll see a news story about those successes. Why not recognize those positives? It is possible to make a change for the better, even in the most dire circumstances.

138. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 18, 2012, 16:44 D-Rock

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 12:46:
Yes D-Rock, I hope you can move on and accept that the majority of our group (at least around here) think it's a great idea.

But what about me?!?!? I'm the minority here!!! I want to be heard too!

Wink

148 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo