Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D-Rock

Real Name D-Rock   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname D-Rock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Old school gamer in search of innovation and new ideas -- a rarity in the gaming industry these days.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 9, 2008, 23:41
Total Comments 148 (Novice)
User ID 46185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:26 D-Rock

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:16:
Trust me, rage posting is far better than what I'd do if you were standing in front of me stating that jokes about raping women is funny.

Really? Please, elaborate on what you'd do Mr. Mature-Adult-ToughGuy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 14:28 D-Rock

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:09:
Rolleyes

There are myriad reasons we have black/dark/gallows humour. It helps us cope with the pressures of life.

Finally, someone who gets it. We need to be able to laugh at issues like this before we address them. Yes, it's something that should be taken seriously, but until people can learn to not get their panties in a bunch over every little thing that is said, it will never end.

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:09:
While I agree that people should always be more aware and considerate where possible...

Absolutely. And when consideration like this doesn't happen, the best thing to do is just...ignore it! The things that were said were not appropriate and the fact that it got this much attention will only encourage future behavior of the same type. Ignore, shun, let the social unacceptance take its toll on the perpetrator's career. It works -- maybe not overnight, but people like that tend to not remain in environments that don't suit them...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2013, 13:31 D-Rock

Sepharo wrote on May 31, 2013, 18:47:
I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your post.

I'm not sure how much of it you actually read, but it's clear from your last post that you are an apologist for bad / disrespectful behavior. The punishment for putting other people's lives at risk because of your own stupidity is supposed to be a world of hurt. If it's easy, people have an incentive to just keep doing it.

Stop making excuses for your loser friends and family.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2013, 10:17 D-Rock

Sepharo wrote on May 29, 2013, 21:13:
...no different than what ordinary people get in trouble for. Cell Phone while driving, DUI...

What? Who are these 'ordinary people' you associate with? Cell phone, maybe, but most people can't safely do it, which is irresponsible and puts other people's lives at risk.

And DUI?!? That definitely puts the lives of others at risk. I don't associate with people that take those risks. Perhaps I'm not ordinary? Considering I limit my actions that potentially have a negative (safety) impact on others that must make me extraordinary.

...so she of course gets a ticket for driving on a suspended license.

...which could have been avoided by...NOT DRIVING! She can afford to have someone else provide transportation. Again -- someone who makes bad decisions that put other people's lives at risk and then makes more bad decisions (i.e. driving when you legally can't because you have a history of bad decisions behind the wheel). Maybe she should just stop doing dumb things?

Once you're in that system it's difficult to escape...

Umm...no it's not. You stop doing things that are illegal, and then you've 'escaped' the system. The logic is pretty simple. If recidivism is an issue, then get help.

Cliff's notes or no Cliff's notes, there's no excuse for this kind of behavior, ordinary or celebrity. What she got and what your friends and family got were deserved. There is some behavior that just can't be justified, so I don't understand why you would 'feel bad' when someone makes a decision that defies common sense. Sometimes I think the only thing they should actually teach in schools is 'don't do anything stupid'...

News Comments > Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year?
16. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 7, 2013, 15:01 D-Rock

2nd_floor wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 12:28:
And PS3 is Linux based

FreeBSD based, not Linux based.

PC Gaming > .
2. Re: Thoughts on Half-Life 2 Oct 30, 2012, 14:49 D-Rock

2nd_floor wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 05:59:
Here are my thoughts, anybody agree?

No -- not at all. Those who enjoy the game tend to have enjoyed the original Half-Life. A lot has changed since 2004, so that's also something to take into consideration. Perhaps if you had played it then you'd have a different opinion?

This is very similar to what I think Steam does to people. It controls the way we use (install, update, think about (number of hours played), talk about, delete, etc...) games on our computers. Valve does not let us entirely have everything we want with Steam. There are many useful features missing, and this is a control mechanism I think.

I really doubt the design of Half-Life 2 was influenced by Steam (or vice-versa). The folks at Valve have allowed quite a bit of freedom with their games (i.e. Portal 2 community maps) to be labeled as control freaks.

The puzzle and 'carrot on the stick' aspects of the Half-Life series are exactly what has drawn Half-Life fans to the game.

Steam has been a control mechanism since it began in the late 1990s.

Steam was released in 2003.

To control what and how people use games on computers, just like the annoying Sierra Utilities.

If you're referring to the Sierra Utilities that were included as part of Half-Life -- they are nothing like Steam. The WON system that was later implemented to play Valve multiplayer games was not required. Neither were the Utilities. Annoying? Yes. Uninstallable or easy to ignore? Yes.

Half-Life 2 is not nearly the same game play.

I agree -- it's nothing like Doom, Halo, etc. and this is by design. It's supposed to make you think -- it's not just non-stop run and gun. That's why people like it.

In this way the game was less about enjoying the game itself, and more about Valve wanting to control the way I think when playing it, in that there almost isn't a way out of the level, Valve is just about controlling me because they are afraid of letting people do as they want (with games and computers, maybe even life in general), right back to the idea of Steam. It doesn't matter what I do in the levels, there is no way out of it, and Valve has me in their control.

Now you're just being silly. Maybe you should put on a tin foil hat?

(although in a game, I do not care about the plot or story, I just want to blow stuff away!!)

Then none of the Half-Life games are ones you'd enjoy. Although I'm a bit confused about your Bioshock comment -- that had some of the same problem solving mechanics that Half-Life did...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2012, 15:09 D-Rock

Verno wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 11:17:
Watching Felix's jump was fantastic. It gave me an urge for crazy videos on the weekend so I went digging and found some old helmet POV videos of 2 guys trying to climb Annapurna in the winter and some video of the 2008 K2 incident.

I finally watched it a few minutes ago -- amazing stuff. There's a 'chest-cam' video out there that's insane -- I can't believe he made it out of that spin -- I got dizzy just watching it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
205. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 4, 2012, 11:28 D-Rock

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 08:35:
...they have their white knight beamer on the job.

Ahhhh...there it is! First strawman and now white night. It feels like this thread is complete now.

Can we PLEEEASE go back to talking about liquor now? I've got a hankerin' for a martini.

194. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 17:22 D-Rock

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 17:15:
What I agreed with was being tired of the whole attitude that if you don't embrace the whole gay acceptance political agenda you're automatically labeled a bigot.

Yup -- the whole bigot thing is getting old. It is possible to not agree and still not be a bigot. I think some folks need to look up the definition of bigot before posting.

192. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 17:04 D-Rock

Fantaz wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 17:01:
Great, so lets all respond and get all OT with the troll.

Who? Me or Beamer?

189. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 17:01 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 16:53:
I'm trying to get my friends to agree to a tequila tasting party. It's the easiest alcohol to actually understand. Blanco, Anejo, Respado - all very different. I figure I can teach them to be experts at something. And get them to stop trying to use my Don Julio Respado to mix with premade margarita mix.

Margarita mix is a sin.

3 parts Cabo Wabo Reposado
1 part freshly squeezed lime juice
1 part Triple Sec
splash of blue curacao

Shake it like a martini, pour it into a martini glass, and drink it like a martini.

You can also replace the triple sec with Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or any combination of those three to suit your taste

If you do a tasting don't leave out the Cabo Reposado.

184. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 16:47 D-Rock

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 16:45:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 16:20:
You also said you were done talking to this crazy person, so I'll say that's proof you are a liar too.
I'm allowed to change my mind, it was my decision and I have the right to change it at any time. Saying the earth is flat is a lie. At the time it was true but I've forgiven you. You said some things later I wanted to engage with you about. You say some really stupid things that just don't sound like you are above the age of 20. If you are just a kid, I don't want to judge you harshly. You maybe 15? I didn't know I was gay at 15, I was racist and talked crap about everyone. You may bump your head and wake up gay tomorrow... you could be gay right now and just completely crazy and like torturing internet users... who knows... who cares?

AHHHH! I'm surrounded by gay people.

Just out of curiousity, who in this thread is bi / gay?

183. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 16:45 D-Rock

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 15:59:
Anyone else drink Bourbon?

I'm more of a Tennesee Whiskey person. Gentleman Jack and Dickel ivory label for me :-)

Tequila is my numero uno, however.

181. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 16:43 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 16:33:
I think the current Republican party is terrifying all-around, but by and large I fall mostly in the center. Probably a little left, but I've been called a conservative dickhead nearly as often as a liberal idiot. People on extremes, as RailWizard will admit to being, tend to find me annoying.

Middle with left lean I could see. You seem to lean a bit right when it comes to financial / money?

175. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 16:18 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 15:42:
And for fuck'ssake I'm not a liberal.

What?!? Huh?!? I find that REALLY hard to believe.

Your stance on some issues says otherwise (and I mean issues beyond homosexuality inequality).

172. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 16:15 D-Rock

Draugr wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 15:35:
If you understand anything about how money and religion play into politics, then its not surprising at all (hint: Just because you dont live in CA doesn't mean you can't influence CA's election, especially with citizens united, The mormon church had quite a stake in getting prop 8 to pass.)

I don't know how interested you'd be in it, but "8: A Mormon Proposition" is a documentary that does a good job exploring how the Mormon church was involved. Obviously there is more than any one factor, this is a big one though.

I understand the money and religion influences, and I do recall the Mormons being very involved in it, but geez -- this is CA we're talking about here!!! I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I still am...

I think this will eventually be overturned, which is fine by me because I'm tired of hearing about it and I'd rather the resources go into other issues.

153. removed Oct 3, 2012, 13:08 D-Rock

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 3, 2012, 20:02.

149. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 12:08 D-Rock

RailWizard wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 11:00:

Canadian.

Ha -- me too, by birth. Sometimes I wish I chose the Canadian side of the dual citizenship. America gets dumber by the day -- not so much, in Canada.

(at least that's my experience)

148. removed Oct 3, 2012, 12:03 D-Rock

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 3, 2012, 13:09.

News Comments > Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter
13. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 11:28 D-Rock

Haha -- wow. It's still the cool thing to trash-talk the Romero?

I'd like to see this one be successful. There isn't enough 'old school' these days.

148 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo