Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D-Rock

Real Name D-Rock   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname D-Rock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Old school gamer in search of innovation and new ideas -- a rarity in the gaming industry these days.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 9, 2008, 23:41
Total Comments 148 (Novice)
User ID 46185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
253. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 16, 2012, 14:47 D-Rock

I tried to avoid this game because I have too much other stuff to do and not enough time to play what I already have, but I can't do it any more.

I've become interested in retail boxes versus download-only lately. I'd really like to track down the collector's edition. Does anyone know of anywhere retail (online or B&M) that's still selling it at the retail price?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Layoffs at id Software
79. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 12, 2012, 11:18 D-Rock

Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 23:39:
id made Q3 a multiplayer-only game because multiplayer was always the best and most popular part of the series. Why waste time with a generic and forgettable single-player campaign which nobody will care about? id tried that with Doom 3 and it didn't end very well. Same could be said of RAGE. If id were smart, they'd go back to multiplayer-only games, preferably PC-exclusives.

Amen.

There's a lot to be said for the 'easy to pick up, easy to put down' multiplayer games. Deathmatch and its team-based derivatives have always been popular. I'd argue that the genre is the 'original' internet based multiplayer game and it's stayed popular for a good reason (just look at Quake Live).

'Quake Team Arena 2' or something similar to that would have probably been a better showcase for the new engine (I wish I could say how well id tech 5 works for multiplayer, but I haven't even had a chance to play it yet). Anyone else agree? id has done deathmatch really well since Doom. The hardcore deathmatch players tend to not care about texture quality so maybe there's a niche for it. I really want to see what the modding community will come up with for multiplayer since id obviously hasn't. A team-based Mad Max mod could be really cool!

Thanks for reminding me of how fun just a simple game of deathmatch can be. I got married a couple of years ago and have wasted too much money on single player games since my time goes into more important things. Heck, I don't think I've even finished a single player game since Half-Life (yeah, pretty sad huh?) so maybe I need to go back to old school

69. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 16:44 D-Rock

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 16:08:
I like your post. Not really sure what particular "feature set" you're thinking about, but I think both the JC2 and Dunia engine kick Tech 5's ass. They run just as smoothly, and look a helluva lot better.

By JC2, do you mean the Avalanche engine used in Just Cause 2? I can't say that I'm familiar with it but am curious since you pointed it out.

Dunia has some pretty cool features, but the engine doesn't feel as balanced. While textures are nicer, and the fire/wind features are pretty cool, it doesn't feel as smooth to me. I wasn't impressed with character animation, I don't get consistent frame rates, and mouse control leaves something to be desired. As far as overall feel goes, everyone's mileage does vary. I'm just going by how the two engines run on my hardware.

I'm not sure if 'feature set' is the best term to use -- I was referring to the id tech 5 characteristics / design choices that I highlighted. The engine comes across as a 'jack-of-all-trades, master of none' (with a couple of areas where it's unique or excels), so that may turn some people off. The focus is on the development process and a consistent gameplay experience across a variety of hardware levels and platforms. This appeals to me because it makes the gameplay experience the priority and doesn't sacrifice it for 'pretty stuff'.

This can't fix poor or uninspired game design, however. I have high hopes for the engine and would really like to see what's to come.

65. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 13:31 D-Rock

I remember Carmack going on stage with Jobs at a keynote speech several years ago and talking about how the RAGE engine was revolutionary.....

I'm assuming you're disagreeing with his statement?

The id Tech 5 engine is revolutionary, but the game used to 'demo' it is not. I think it's important to focus on the difference between the two.

id tech 5 is developer focused, with emphasis on simplification of cross-platform development (which we know is going to happen in this industry -- why not just make it easier and also take advantage of the strengths of each platform?). Megatexturing / virtual texturing is also a plus with cross-platform. That's some pretty cool technology and as far as I know there is not another engine that does this (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The engine handles multi-threaded processing quite well. It scales well.

It's designed with emphasis on consistent frames per second, which is something John C. has been aiming for for quite some time. In my experience playing the game it does this really well. I could care less about having the best / most detailed textures -- there's too much emphasis on that lately. There's something to be said for smooth and consistent game play and I don't think there's enough focus on that in other games.

RAGE showcases most of these strengths well. No, RAGE gameplay is not revolutionary, but the engine provides the tools to make a revolutionary game. I can't think of another engine that has such a well rounded feature set (but feel free to debate -- perhaps I've missed an existing engine that is comparable?).

Since when does id have a reputation for making good games with their engines anyway? It's usually another developer / modder that makes the engine truly shine. It's unfortunate that the engine will not be licensed, but it will continue to evolve and we'll probably see new features that make it even more impressive. I can't wait to see what the modding community does -- that's the main reason I bought the game in the first place.

id Studio and the high res texture pack need to be released yesterday. I think more people will be impressed with id Tech 5 once that happens. I can't wait to start tinkering with it myself...

News Comments > PC Alan Wake Plans?
7. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 10:50 D-Rock

"...we somehow ignored that..."

What?!? Is he serious?!? 'Somehow'?

Oops! I slipped, fell, and suddenly found myself ignoring the entire PC platform! You know, the platform that put us on the map and made us a highly respected developer...for a little while.

Alan Wake took way too long to be released, and the teasing they did with the initially promised PC version was annoying. I'm done with these guys. Based on other responses in these comments, so is everyone else. Their self-fulfilling prophecy has come to fruition. You want console only releases because you feel it's not worth your time? You got it. Don't waste your time then.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2011, 14:18 D-Rock

I'm always up for a good burger. I've got some recipes for you.

E-mail me your address, I'll punch it in the GPS and be there tomorrow!

News Comments > Syndicate Gameplay Trailer
9. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 13:16 D-Rock

Overon wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 12:32:
I have some semi original ideas for first person shooters: Enemies guns hurt you just as much as your guns hurt them. AI that moves around as well as you do. A cover system that does not make you completely invulnerable while behind it. Some environmental damage in non static environments.

The original format of the Rainbow Six series did some of this quite well. That would be a great format for this -- a team that can be AI controlled, or human controlled in multiplayer (making it 'truer' to the original IP) and a 'commander' mode similar to the first Syndicate (think the commander mode from Battlefield 2) would definitely make this game stand out more. Instead it's just like every other FPS.

Imagine a 5 player multiplayer game with one team member controlling everything from above and the other 4 playing agents where the action is? You'd have two satisfied groups of gamers. Maybe even a versus mode with the two opposing groups from Syndicate wars? There is so much more potential here than they are taking advantage of.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2011, 15:16 D-Rock

Blue wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 16:31:
Wolfen wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 15:47:
LOL Silly. BLUE. I remember when you guys used to have that Quake show on Real Network. =P

Of course I remember that too. But that was back when it was a miracle to get streaming content over the internet. Now it's a miracle that anyone uses Real.

I realize I'm a little late to comment on this, but is this old Quake show archived somewhere that we can see it? I love going through Blue's archives!

News Comments > NVIDIA StarCraft II Trial
6. Re: NVIDIA StarCraft II Trail Offer Aug 5, 2010, 12:20 D-Rock

Yeah...I was shopping for cards last week and I kept seeing NVIDIA cards that had offers that included Starcraft II. You had to get to the fine print to find out that it was a free trial. It was very irritating and I quickly lost the desire to even consider an upgrade.

This definitely should be a marketing 101 lesson. Anyone with the desire / skill set to upgrade their own video card likely does some research first. No computer enthusiast likes to be mislead. I'd even say it's a safe bet that someone who is considering an upgrade to one of the newer NVIDIA cards is already well aware of Starcraft II and has decided whether or not he/she wants it.

Where is the incentive here? A 10% discount is worth way more than a 7 hour trial.

News Comments > Mac Counter-Strike: Source Released
9. Re: Mac Counter-Strike: Source Released Jun 23, 2010, 21:14 D-Rock

JoeNapalm wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 16:54:
Actually, it IS kinda awesome - no viruses, no driver issues - most everything does "just work."

No viruses? LOL. Do some 'googling' and you'll find that this is not the case. Or maybe you should try 'binging'? Yeah, your chances of catching a virus, malware, etc. are much slimmer, but it's out there and it's going to get worse with the rise in the popularity of Apple products.

JoeNapalm wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 16:54:
I mean, I have a Windows machine...because I like to play games and I like to build gaming rigs. But if the day were to come where I could have a Mac that A) had hardware that was equivalent in performance to my gaming machine, and B) had native access to all the titles I wanted to play...

...but until that day comes -- you have to pour money into two different platforms to be satisfied. So basically what you're saying is that you want a Mac to be the "ultimate" machine, but it's not. I don't know about you, but I can do everything I need to do on my Windows based PC.

OK, OK, I'll stop giving you a hard time. I would love to have a Mac to "play around" with (just like I'd like to have a few Linux boxes to tinker with), but it's just too cost-prohibitive for me to justify having an extra toy. Not to mention the fact that I just don't have the time to put into it (or any other platform).

Honestly, I think Steam on the Mac is an excellent product. If any PC game publisher is going to branch out to other platforms, I'd rather it be non-console. I hope they have Linux plans in the future -- then I would be able to do everything I want to do LOL.

News Comments > Remedy "Too Small" for PC Alan Wake
46. Re: Remedy Apr 6, 2010, 23:06 D-Rock

Acleacius wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 00:48:
damn too bad, never thought the guys at remedy would turn out to be dicks, to the customers that supported them.

Here's hoping they have shitty sales to go along with their new dickishness.

Back in the days of Max Payne and the 3dMark tech demos that were still considered cool, not many people thought they could possibly go in this direction.

Since about 2003 they've been steadily going downhill in the form of big egos (that would have been more justifiable in the Max Payne days), technology that wasn't significantly better than anything else out there, and many resources put into development time with little to show for it.

They lost me several years ago when their once down-to-earth link with the gaming community seemed to fade and the only items of note I ever saw from them were arrogant posts on Futuremark and Remedy forums that had this "We know better than the gaming community -- just listen to us!" essence to it. Suddenly any product any of their development teams produced required you to pay more for less and they didn't seem to care that the customer wasn't happy about it.

If I'm 'wrong' about any of this, please feel free to prove it. I'd love for someone to show me somewhere where these guys have shown respect for the gaming community in recent history. Please. And by recent, I mean recent in 'technology years', not real years. I suppose the Death Rally port to Windows might qualify, but honestly -- for as "big" as these guys claim to be, that's maybe a week of effort for them?

I just haven't been impressed by these guys in a long time and I think they're going to end up somewhere between where Ion Storm and 3D Realms did.

News Comments > Impulse Top 10
7. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 12, 2009, 19:21 D-Rock

They only do that in Steam threads Dev...because it's cool to hate on Valve

It's unfortunate that we haven't had a Steam one in a while. Verno has been inactive for more than 3 days now. I hope he's OK!

Don't you miss good old Verno? He just takes it to a level that no one else can

News Comments > All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D
52. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D Sep 13, 2009, 21:55 D-Rock

I was able to find this tonight. With any luck, perhaps our prayers have been answered:

http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod/index.html

News Comments > All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D
47. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D Sep 13, 2009, 16:25 D-Rock

The first game of the Jedi series, Jedi Knight DF2 just hasn't held up well imo - the characters are terribly blocky and the animations are god-awful. It might have looked good at the time, but the graphics for me actually detract from the nostalgia.

IIRC, Lucasarts reduced detail specifically so they could create huge maps with large outdoor environments, which is one of the characteristics DF2 (JK) is well-known for. If they didn't, there would be a significant performance hit.

The characters aren't as blocky, and there is more detail and smoother edges. To me it's just all around easier on the eyes. Moreover, the animations in Q2 were better IIRC.

The Quake 2 engine notorious for not being able to render huge outdoor environments without a big performance hit. It did look pretty damn good at the time, however. Both engines were designed with different goals in mind, and both of them achieved those goals.

That being said, DF2 on the JA engine would be pretty sweet. There's already a project to create DF on the JA engine underway, but it's taking forever and DF2 is much bigger than DF, so I wouldn't expect too much.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2009, 16:28.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey Results
60. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Sep 2, 2009, 13:49 D-Rock

As I said before Verno, I'm well aware of the technology differences. You could argue all day about the details of each format and bring up things like input lag, the inconsistent reporting of response times, etc. but for the average end user there is very little point.

60hz is 60hz. Whether on a CRT or LCD, the physical limitation is that you get 60 updates of the information on screen every second. No more, no less. This has an impact on gaming, and if you try and deny it, you're the one that's dumb.

And you're right -- looking back on prior posts, no one actually said that refresh rate doesn't matter (yeah, if you want to be anal about the actual words used, go right ahead). Let me rephrase: refresh rate does apply -- especially to a gamer. Sure it's handled differently depending on the technology used and can even have different effects from one tech to the next, but at the end of the day a significant enough portion of the gamers out there are going to take the highest they can get. The smart gamers will, at least.

The maturity level of your posts has obviously deteriorated, and it's obvious your only interest at this point is your ego. You can 'impress' people all day long with your detailed technology knowledge, but if you can't stop long enough to understand how the complexities of it ultimately apply to the real world end user you'll remain stuck in your little anti-social box. I'm done here.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 13:50.

57. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Sep 2, 2009, 12:59 D-Rock

And this is wrong too.

How exactly is it "wrong"? I'm well aware of the technology differences between CRTs and LCDs, but you are missing the point completely.

CRTs and LCDs both have refresh rates. Period. Any good LCD will report a discrete list of available refresh rates for a given resolution back to the video card. Ever bring up the OSD for your LCD? Chances are one of the menus will display the current resolution and refresh rate.

So yes, refresh rate does really matter on an LCD screen, especially to a gamer. No, you won't get flicker but you will get significant image tearing at 60hz, regardless of your frame rate.

If you're one of the ones that doesn't notice the tearing on an LCD screen, then consider yourself lucky. I on the other hand notice it and despise it. That's why I'm in the market for a 120hz LCD, most of which are marketed towards gamers. Why? Because to some of us, it matters.

So I disagree -- I am in no way "wrong" in my statements. Stop spreading the misinformation that refresh rate does not matter on an LCD. It does matter.

46. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 2, 2009, 08:15 D-Rock

Refresh rate doesn't really apply to LCDs.

Refresh rate does really apply to LCDs. Turn off vsync, which is impacted by the refresh rate of the monitor, and you will see image tearing. It doesn't bother some people, but I can see it under most circumstances. Refresh rate is just as much of a factor as it used to be.

Why do you think some manufacturers are selling 120hz LCDs that are marketed towards gamers? Because it doesn't matter?!? Please, stop spouting one of the most common hardware misconceptions out there today...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2008, 03:51 D-Rock

2005 NSX for 8k?

It's a 1995 NSX.

D-Rock

News Comments > Free BFG AGP/PCIe Upgrades
9. Re: Free BFG AGP/PCIe Upgrades Nov 25, 2008, 19:07 D-Rock

I had (have sitting around) a 6800 GT OC, and it would always lock up under heavy duty use (Far Cry for example). It mostly worked fine on id opengl games. I had read some posts online about similar problems. It was sort of fixed by putting a super cooler on there, but there must have been something seriously wrong with those things.

My solution to these types of problems was to edit the BIOS and bring the Core speed down to reference board speeds. Mine was rock-solid after that. Hopefully it won't void my chance of a trade-in.

D-Rock

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2008, 07:55 D-Rock

He got it - now he needs to prove he can make it happen.

Some might argue that the hard part is over now, but I'd have to call it a warm-up round. The hard part is just beginning. He is about to take on the toughest job of his life, and it will be an uphill battle.

D-Rock

148 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo