Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elessar

Real Name Elessar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Elessar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2008, 21:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 46094

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Jan 27, 2010, 11:43 Elessar

One of my favorite games of all time. Just a genuinely fun and unique experience.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II PC Date, Specs
26. Re: Assassin's Creed II PC Date, Specs Jan 25, 2010, 16:45 Elessar

Verno wrote on Jan 25, 2010, 15:20:
Judging by comments on these forums about this game, people:

- hated the first game but want the second one just because
- want it ported at release time but also want the "superior" version despite the PC version making probably 5% of total title revenue
- want the superior version faster AND cheaper
- Hate Ubisoft if they don't comply but love them if they do
- want the DLC packed in
- Don't want the DLC packed in if it means having to pay for it.

I actually feel bad for Ubisoft here, damned if they do and damned if they don't. AC2 is an excellent game which improves upon the original in every imaginable way for the record, you guys are missing out but oh well. Maybe next time Ubisoft just won't release a PC version at all.
"People" are always going want what they don't have. We come here to discuss, bitch, debate these things. Generally, if your comment is reasonable, it can become a worthy discussion with others. So you'll always have people who want the world, which is what you've basically listed there. Fortunately Ubisoft will judge whether they make PC versions of their games or not by virtue of their sales and not by the list you've made. Although I do believe there are some other types of reasonable people than what you've highlighted. *edit* As Prez perfectly demonstrated. Though he doesn't represent everyone here, I agree with everything he said. So that makes two of us so far.

I don't think it's reasonable to charge a full price for digital content, let alone a hiked price for digital content. I'm also not digging the direction DLC is going and the way it's being used. DLC was questionable by itself (is it truly additional content or missing original content?), but now it seems they're using it to manipulate sales.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2010, 16:51.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II PC Date, Specs
6. Re: Assassin's Creed II PC Date, Specs Jan 25, 2010, 14:11 Elessar

Creston wrote on Jan 25, 2010, 14:01:
60 bucks. Nice. I like how you now are FORCED to just buy the DLC.

Good stuff.

/scraps game off list.

Creston
Yep, same here man. They do this shit to themselves. Once again, thank you Activision and Kotick for setting the price point higher for PC games. Money grubbing assholes. I know there are more to blame then just them (like ubisoft and consumers who spend that much money), but I mostly blame them for starting this with Modern Warfailure 2.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2010, 14:11.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Preorders
19. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Preorders Jan 19, 2010, 12:16 Elessar

eunichron wrote on Jan 19, 2010, 03:13:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 18, 2010, 22:15:
Howin wrote on Jan 18, 2010, 21:43:
This will be delayed until 2011. To fall in competition with SW:TOR.
Not unless they delay the lich king raid since he's supposed to be the current endgame, he'll be open sometime around early-mid summer if the posts were right.
If they keep their current schedule of a new wing every ~2 weeks, he'll be open in about a month. If the September release date is right then, that leaves 6 months for guilds to work on the heroic versions, which totally falls in line with Blizzard's 6 month content cycle.

My guess though is that Cataclysm will be delayed until Christmas. Will be interesting to see how it goes as I, pretty much everyone in my guild, and most of the people I've been playing with over the last few years have no intention of playing Cataclysm. Of course that is purely anecdotal.
For non-raiders, like me, any later than summer will be a mistake. It sounds like they base a lot of the release schedule off of raiding, which I think is also a mistake. Then again, I'll probably just cancel and resubscribe when Cata comes out, so they'll have my money either way. Just not as much or for as long I suppose.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Patched
8. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Patched Jan 19, 2010, 11:56 Elessar

Just been waiting for patches like this. As soon as they fix this game up proper, then I'll consider getting it. With BFBC2 on the horizon, it may be awhile as that'll probably take up all my online shooter time.  

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers
17. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 23:29 Elessar

Overon wrote on Jan 15, 2010, 22:31:
You mention compromises and give and take philosophy. For PC FPS games I'm used to public dedicated servers, console support, free mod tools, free mods for about a decade. Dice are not going to deliver on these. They are delivering a PC FPS game though which I would have to pay for to play online. I give them money they give me an PFS game and some patches (unknown what patch support for PC will be like). Where is the compromise here exactly? Where is the give and take you refer to? Am I just supposed to grateful that they are releasing an FPS for the PC? Not good enough.
You get to keep dedicated servers and they get to keep people from stealing and playing their game online. Sounds like a compromise to me.

16. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 23:16 Elessar

space captain wrote on Jan 15, 2010, 21:28:
you cant use compassion as a weapon of debate. the logical conclusion of your argument is that you cant walk a mile in EVERYONES shoes - and thus you know nothing about ANYONE except your own meagre little existence. so therefore you have to forgive all the assholes and idiots for questioning your ultimate wisdom, simply because they do not know better, and you have no idea what their life conditions are that may prevent them from understanding, etc. you cant know what kinds of conditions caused them to be stupid enough to even ask the question in the first place..

so keep on walkin in those shoes because you arent even close yet
Dial it back there tiger. You're doing quite a bit of inferring there. And I don't know who you think you are, but people can use any basis they want to make a point. Compassion and empathy may be a bit out there for some, but it's not entirely irrelevant.

The ACTUAL logical conclusion that I'm making (it is me making it afterall) is that these devs have to consider several audiences and scenarios. They cannot cater to every fit, demand or overreaction people may have.

If you want me to put it in simple terms that you would understand space captain... they don't owe you jackshit. If they want to make money they can appeal to the masses. If they want to be cool and support dying PC features, awesome. But regardless of all that, they can do whatever the hell they want with their game. Most of all they can (and will) safeguard it against thieves and hackers.

8. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 21:22 Elessar

Overon wrote on Jan 15, 2010, 17:32:
The age old "if you don't like what they are doing, why don't you go out and make a game yourself" gambit. It's a fallacious argument.
Literal much? The point still stands. Until you walk a mile in their shoes, you really have no idea what it's like or what your talking about. I can only imagine how hard it is to develop a top end title, make investors, consumers and fans happy. All the while making the game meet your own expectations and, oh yeah, doing all that you can so some assholes don't tear it apart, ruin it for others or steal it.

But isn't that what punkbuster is for? It's going to be in Bad Company 2. We old farts have, for over a decade, gotten used to first person shooters (they started on PC you know) being released on the PC with mod support, mod tools, and a public dedicated server package. Call us crazy, but when you start releasing first person shooters on the PC and you remove stuff like this, us old farts are going to get cranky. What if someone made a 360 game without any DLC? Wouldn't the console gamers scream bluddy murder, after all they have gotten used to it. They have certain expectations.

The lowest common denominator when it comes to multiplatfrom first person shooters is the console. Thus these developers are trying to get PC fps players to change their expectations to be more inline with console fps player's expectations: pay dlc, no mods, no mod tools, and no dedicated server (or no publicly released dedicated servers).

I'm not going to accept it.
I hate to break it to you, but you better start adapting or you're just going to be miserable and spread that misery in places like this. I'm not saying we need to completely bend over, but their has to be give and take. Things aren't how they used to be in PC gaming. People need to realize that. I'm just happy a company like DICE recognizes that the industry is changing, yet are willing to make compromises to give people what they want and still guard their product. It sure beats what IW has done lately. No compromise, whatsoever.

3. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 16:52 Elessar

The ignorance of some of you gamers is unbelievable at times. Tell you what, why don't YOU guys go ahead and develop a completely and utterly secure, unhackable software package that you intend to distribute to thousands of people. Nevermind that a portion of these people's sole intention is to hack it.

God forbid someone takes necessary steps to ensure a product that they've invested millions of dollars into is as secure as they can make it. At the same time, doing what they can to satisfy their consumer base.

The way some of you all make it sound, this stuff is easy. Right? Right.

News Comments > No Console in PC Bad Company 2
32. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 11:12 Elessar

Sepharo wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 22:37:
No mods and no privately owned server?

Okay we just dropped from a strong B+ to a D here.

I wish I could have some how gone longer not reading that.
I could care less about privately owned servers and mods. Just as long as the core game mechanics are good and I can return to a favorite clan or administrated server, I'm happy. Still an A+ as an anticipation grade for me.

News Comments > On Modern Warfare 2 Balance
12. Re: On Modern Warfare 2 Balance Jan 14, 2010, 15:23 Elessar

Beamer wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 13:40:
Except that what is demonstrated in the video is neither a cheat nor a glitch. He is exploiting a feature of the game

I'd consider that a glitch, but call it what you will. The bottom line is an extreme amount of PC games come out with similar issues, hence all the constant whining of X weapon or X powerup being nerfed.
It's not a glitch. It's a built in, completely intentional feature. So the majority of your argument is irrelevant to begin with.

Add this horrible oversight (piss poor testing) to the list of existing PC issues, it boggles my mind that people flock to purchase this. Like sheep.

News Comments > On Modern Warfare 2 Balance
6. Re: On Modern Warfare 2 Balance Jan 14, 2010, 12:58 Elessar

JM wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 12:09:
huh? it already sold a gazillion copies, so it should be perfect - right?

THE GAME IS PERFECT AND TOTALLY FUN AND ITS SCIENTIFIC FACT

Geez, you're STILL carrying on?
Because he has something to carry on about. Did you watch that video? It's a freakin joke and this game is a best seller. It's disgraceful that this type of product is perpetuated and reinforced by mindless consumers.

News Comments > BC2 Beta Dates; No Mod Tools or Public Server Distribution
24. Re: Game Reviews Jan 12, 2010, 12:59 Elessar

I don't mind regulated, yet DEDICATED servers one bit. Look, you'll still have your communities and clan servers. I for one will not miss filtering through 50 different types of servers with who knows what flavor of mod on it, trying to find a clean and pure server to play on. One where I don't have to question it's integrity or download 80 files.

I think this is a great compromise. Player/Clan administrated servers with a standard ruleset to choose from.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Beta Change List
5. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Beta Change List Jan 12, 2010, 10:58 Elessar

Sepharo wrote on Jan 12, 2010, 00:24:
Yeah that's right I just created a new genre acronym and you're not invited CoD4:MW2
I totally approve of your new acronym and the non-admittance of MW2.

Can't wait for BFBC2. I hope it's everything I expected MW2 to be and more.

News Comments > TF2 Bots Beta
16. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 14:08 Elessar

I don't know that I made my comment about my aversion to bots clear (or they were misunderstood).

If you want to play locally w/ bots, great. To each their own. I get why you'd want to. My complaint comes in when they take the place of vacant slots on an online server. Where you end up with half players and half bots. To me, that takes away from the competitiveness, the real psychological interaction you have with other online players. I just believe there is no place for bots online. It's silly.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 14:09.

News Comments > TF2 Bots Beta
9. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 11:57 Elessar

I don't get how people enjoy the idea of bots in an online game. It creates such a fake/empty experience it defeats the purpose of online play. I suppose running your own local server and inserting bots is alright, but as soon as they enter the online realm I'm out. This is what made UT so fake and generic to me.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Dec 17, 2009, 13:53 Elessar

I figured for $7.50, I could take a chance on Section 8. It got a pretty glowing review from our friend Jaguar on Out of Eight.
If you've bought it and tried it, I'm curious what your thoughts are.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Trailer
11. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Trailer Nov 13, 2009, 14:58 Elessar

MW2 what?

If DICE gives the PC version the attention they're claiming they will, this will make it all better and I can just forget the whole IW debacle.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Sells 4.7M in 24 Hours
33. Re: MW2 Sells 4.7M in 24 Hours Nov 12, 2009, 13:30 Elessar

"The player count for MW2 Multiplayer is at ~55,000 and SP is at ~46,000."

This is probably why they are doing whatever they want in terms of the PC market. Last night I saw 780k people on Xbox Live.
I would expect the numbers to be very high this close to release. I bet those numbers would be up by 30-40% if they didn't castrate the online portion for the PC.

You wait, after the newness is gone and the frustration that p2p/matchmaking provides, these numbers are going to drop. Problem is it's a double edged sword. They'll see the PC players/sales drop, but blame them for not liking their awesome system. We couldn't expect IW to realize it's their shitty online implementation that's causing them to lose money and loyal customers.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Sells 4.7M in 24 Hours
27. Re: MW2 Sells 4.7M in 24 Hours Nov 12, 2009, 12:59 Elessar

Ravor, I'm shocked you haven't experienced latency, host migration or any other online issues people have been reporting. Has it truly been that seamless for you? How long would you say you've played online thus far?  

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo