Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elessar

Real Name Elessar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Elessar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2008, 21:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 46094

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Alice: Madness Returns Announced
17. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 21, 2010, 10:36 Elessar

Ray Marden wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 18:50:
That doesn't seem to be the direction I would want to go, but I will have to wait and see.
This comment seems silly to me. If you hardly remember the original, you wouldn't understand that not only did they keep the unique atmosphere from before, it looks like they've improved upon it a great deal. I think the art direction/screenshots look amazing.

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 00:11:
Didn't the original use three keyboard keys? It wasn't exactly complex.
Dynamic gameplay is not only controlled by the character and their capabilities, but also by the world you interact with. Gameplay can be changed by fighting enemies with different abilities. I also recall there being a chess mechanic to the original Alice. And of course you have different weapons that behave differently using the same 1 attack button.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Medal of Honor Beta Extended
10. Re: Medal of Honor Beta Extended Jul 19, 2010, 15:40 Elessar

DICE can't handle one game (BC2) let alone two. Only after several patches were they able to get their shit together with BC2 and polish it up to a good point.

DICE also seems incapable of creating a front end interface. They had to eventually patch in a halfway decent server browser for BC2. MoH needs a complete freakin revamp. I know it's a beta, but one should be able to set controls without CTDing and use the server browser without the servers disappearing when you scroll.

When I actually got in to play the game, it was just okay.

They actually seem like a well meaning dev company, I just think they lack the skills or advisement to understand how users interact with their software.

News Comments > Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick
2. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 10:49 Elessar

"Weapons manufacturing?"... LMAO. Schafer's awesome.

News Comments > PC BC2 Onslaught Coming
6. Re: PC BC2 Onslaught Coming Jul 14, 2010, 10:46 Elessar

And the obligatory self-entitled PC gamer responses ensue. It's their fucking wallet and they're well within their right to consider how a new game mode fits into their business model.

I'm pro-PC gaming through and through, but you whiny bitches just give it a bad name. No wonder dev interest is waning.

News Comments > NASA Moonbase Alpha Released
22. Re: NASA Moonbase Alpha Released Jul 7, 2010, 11:14 Elessar

The Advocate wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 19:52:
I'd love to try this. Guess I'll have to wait until it comes out someplace other than Steam.
I can't help myself but to read this in a whiny bitch tone.

News Comments > WoW Cataclysm Beta Begins
12. Re: WoW Cataclysm Beta Begins Jul 1, 2010, 11:35 Elessar

I've said I was done with it multiple times. Even added "for real this time!". I'm currently leveling my 73 Rogue. I'll definitely check out Cataclysm.

Do I play like I used to? No. Is the game still enjoyable? For some reason, yes.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - All Points Bulletin
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - All Points Bulletin Jun 30, 2010, 11:10 Elessar

Thanks for your reasonable point of view Napalm. It's easy to get caught up in the negative "what ifs" around here, by people who haven't even played the game (guilty of it myself in the past).

I appreciate the in-game info too. This game interests me, but I've been uncertain about it, so it's good to get someone's take.

News Comments > Medal of Honor Trailers
5. Re: Medal of Honor Trailers Jun 30, 2010, 10:24 Elessar

Joss wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 22:36:
Yeah, showing the choppers flying over terrain is cool and all but how much freedom do you really have? It's not really an open sandbox is it? You probably have a set path or canyon to fly down. Ugh.

Why doesn't Dice use their kick-ass engine to make an ArmA-like title? WHY?
DICE's Frostbite engine is being used for multiplayer only not for the singleplayer campaign, the UE3 engine is.

As for Frostbite being used for another game? Imo, that piece of crap can go away and never come back. I'll admit the environments, maps and destruction it offers are decent, but the shooter elements are crap. Laggy, loose, floaty. No thanks.

News Comments > Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions
18. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 10:16 Elessar

Also /agree with the above. I thought Torchlight was cute and fun, but coop would have elevated it further.

As for the MMO, it's going to need A LOT of item variety and a huge world to make this work. Unless they truly think they can fulfill their ambitions, they should stick with a more robust sequel that has multiplayer. Just my 2 cents on that.

I also don't see the point of contradicting a feature of your game. So you don't like microtransactions yourself, but you're willing to cash grab anyway? Dubious indeed.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
20. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Jun 28, 2010, 11:54 Elessar

Fion wrote on Jun 27, 2010, 20:41:
Hey for those trying it again or getting it for the first time, there are some fantastic mods out there. Clan Quest Mod adds new quests and events. Camarilla Mod overhauls much of the game and deepens it, Companion mod lets you make some of the NPCs follow you and help out, Arsenal Mod adds tuns of new guns, etc.

The Clan Quest Mod FYI includes a lot of these above mods, though some are older versions until they update it again.
I actually intend to load Bloodlines up for the first time in years. Since it came out actually. I would like to play it as close to the original as possible, but with mods that update the graphics and any others that offer beneficial tweaks, yet don't dramatically change the game.

My plan is to install fresh, load this latest unofficial 7.0 patch and w/e mods. Anyone know if I need to load any official or unofficial patches prior to 7.0 or is it all inclusive?

As for mods I was going to get Silent Masqu Mod (aka Midnight Mod) for texture updates, but I realized there are sound updates too, which turn me off to that particular mod. I'll check into the mods you recommended, I'm just hoping they don't change it too much.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Transformers: War for Cybertron
40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Transformers: War for Cybertron Jun 24, 2010, 17:51 Elessar

maddog wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 17:51:
Another sad day for PC gaming. Never thought I'd see the day when a UT3 game did not have bots, I digress.

Anyways, no dedicated server or LAN play. Must be logged in with an online account to play or host a MP game. Fail, for me at least. Meh, at least it was only 39 and not 59.

Is Valve the only one who can get PC MP right?

MD
Not only that, but you can't customize the controls! All you simply get to do in the menu is look at the keyboard layout. There is no way to modify controls in-game. When asked, the dev responded with "It's by design". Brilliant!

News Comments > BioWare on PC Gaming
30. Re: BioWare on PC Gaming Jun 24, 2010, 12:48 Elessar

Wolfen wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 10:25:
InBlack wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 10:23:
I have no idea what you two guys are on, but I played Dragon Age on the PC and the interface as well as the gameplay (mostly) was very PC centric.

As far as I am concerned they are telling the truth, at least as far as "Dragon Age" is concerned.

For Dragon Age. They got it right. For Mass Effect 2. Nope.
I disagree. ME2 felt perfectly fine for me on the PC. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience.

*edit* Now that I caught up on some ME2 UI complaints, I suppose I can agree that the interface was cumbersome. Otherwise, it hardly detoured me from enjoying the game.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Transformers: War for Cybertron Jun 22, 2010, 15:48 Elessar

Jerykk wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 15:37:
That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping it would not be similar to UT, where it's all run and gun. I get that it's robots and pew pew weapons, so that's somewhat unavoidable, but I hope there are some amount of tactics involved in the combat.

I don't really see how a cover-based shooter is any more tactical than a run-and-gun shooter.

Cover-based shooter tactics:

1) Look for waist-high cover when entering room.
2) Take cover behind said cover.
3) Wait for enemies to appear and take cover on other side of room.
4) Wait for enemies to pop their heads out from behind cover.
5) Shoot said enemies in the head.

And that's pretty much it.
I was referring more to the multiplayer. From the few videos I saw, there was a lot of circle strafe shooting till the other guy was dead and I was hoping that wasn't the extent of it.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Transformers: War for Cybertron Jun 22, 2010, 14:59 Elessar

Drezden wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 14:53:
When I played the Xbox 360 demo it literally just felt like UT3/Gears of War but with Robots.
That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping it would not be similar to UT, where it's all run and gun. I get that it's robots and pew pew weapons, so that's somewhat unavoidable, but I hope there are some amount of tactics involved in the combat.

News Comments > On OnLive Game Prices
77. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 11:54 Elessar

Verno wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 11:02:
That's not even true anymore thanks to multiplatform games. You don't need to "keep up" a machine so much as buy gaming hardware on a cycle near that of consoles. The days of yearly upgrades are long behind us.
I don't agree. There are plenty of people out there who prefer to play a game on a PC, regardless if it's multiplatform or not. Sure the hardware lasts longer than it did in years past, but you still need to "keep up" every few years if you intend to play the latest titles.

Well yes because it's not the same price - OnLive is more expensive. What benefit exactly are you referring to? You are saying "but it can do X!" and we're saying "Yes but you can already do Y cheaper". Doing it for the sake of doing it is not really a path to consumer success. You keep going on about the point of the service but people are harping on it precisely because unlike something like say Steam, it offers little benefit and is even costlier.
Again, Steam still requires you to have a decent gaming rig to run new titles with mid to high graphic settings. The point or benefit (in their terms) is that you don't need to buy expensive hardware. To be honest, I don't even know if that rings true or if their service is good enough to cover their claims. I just find it annoying to see people bitch about half the story. I don't consider you one of those people, but there are plenty of them early on in the thread.

73. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 11:04 Elessar

Jay wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 10:48:
2 Games on OnLive + 1 year subscription fee = price of xbox360 arcade. HMMM tough call!
A fair point. But this only applies if you only intend to do console gaming, with no intention of using mouse/keyboard for shooters, RTSes and what not.

71. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 10:54 Elessar

Verno wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 10:48:
Ah yes, the mythical market of people who own computers but not computers capable of gaming. The same people that also do not own a single console and yet somehow still want to do regular gaming. We're aware of it, thanks Elessar. People make comparisons because in the end it's a gaming product and they are comparing it to other gaming products. By the way you pay for your own games with OnLive.
Maybe here it's a myth not to have a mid to high end gaming machine, but I don't think you're considering the many people who don't keep their hardware up. It's just not an accurate comparison, by any means. All people want to do is bitch about how it's the same price, but not mention one iota about the benefit or even the freaking point of the service.

68. Re: On OnLive Game Prices Jun 22, 2010, 10:40 Elessar

I must be missing something, because all of you seem to be making an apples to oranges comparison when it comes to bitching about pricing. OnLive is completely different from buying your own rig and your own games. For those of you that seem to miss the point, their big selling point is that you don't need to buy or build a gaming PC.

Normally, most of you make intelligent posts and counter points. But this thread misses the point of this service entirely.

Disclaimer: I'm not an advocate of the service, I've never tried or used it. I'm just an advocate of a fair comparison which this thread lacks.

News Comments > Medal of Honor Beta Reminder
2. Re: Medal of Honor Beta Reminder Jun 21, 2010, 11:28 Elessar

justice7 wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 11:19:
How is this game different from MW2 and BC2? Are there any new/exciting features in this game? Perhaps bigger maps?

Just curious if it feels like we've played this game before.
Specifically BC2. I'll be shocked if this feels any new or different than any other shooter DICE has made. I've always wanted their newer games to take a page from COD's book and make a better feeling game. But they always seem to be a little floaty to me, which is why it was disappointing to hear that DICE was developing MoH's multiplayer, with the Frostbite engine nonetheless.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Trailers
5. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Trailers Jun 18, 2010, 10:02 Elessar

necrosis wrote on Jun 18, 2010, 09:49:
To bad Ubi is on my 'never buy their games again' list.
They were for me too, until I realized what I was missing out on. What can I say? Their DRM sucks, but they make good games. For what it's worth, my full AC2 play-through experience went without any hiccups considering the DRM.

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo