Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elessar

Real Name Elessar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Elessar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2008, 21:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 46094

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Project Offset and fractiv Update
1. Re: Project Offset and fractiv Update Dec 17, 2010, 13:06 Elessar

I'll admit I don't know the entire history, but if I'm reading correctly, they sold their company to Intel and lost their rights to make Project Offset? They also see distraught about this, but I'm not sure how they couldn't see it coming.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Trial
3. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Trial Dec 17, 2010, 12:08 Elessar

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 11:56:
Is there seriously someone who owns WoW, Burning Crusade and Lich King and DOESN'T have Cataclysm? This free trial seems aimed at a subset of WoW fan that quite likely simply doesn't exist...

Creston
Unless they let you download the entire game and try it, I see your point. Not sure what they're doing if you have to own all the others. "Hmmmn, not quite sure I'll know what I'm getting with Cata, better try it out first."

News Comments > Prototype 2 Announced
19. Re: Prototype 2 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 11:10 Elessar

Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 20:48:
Prototype wasn't bad, but inFamous showed in comparison how much better it could have been. Not to mention inFamous 2, that one will kill P2.

For me, the joy of Prototype was doing insane maneuvers and essentially flying around the city. inFamous didn't really have this, as you were stuck with electric powers. In Prototype, you're closer to being the Hulk. In inFamous, you're closer to being Electro.

I'm also glad that Prototype didn't adopt the same half-assed morality system as inFamous. Binary morality is worthless, especially when your moral alighment is tied into the powers you gain. There's no thought involved. If you want the "good" powers, you choose the "good" options. If you want the "evil" powers, you choose the "evil" options. It's so utterly contrived and shallow. Moral choices need to be ambiguous and thought-provoking with equally compelling options.
Totally agree. For me inFamous felt weaker than Prototype which was much much more fun. I got about 35% through inFamous and was totally uninspired by the gameplay to continue playing.
Verno wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 10:08:
I enjoyed the game overall but a lot of people here are glossing over its flaws. There is a lot of room for improvement.
I also agree with this. While Prototype was fun, it could definitely use some tightening up which I hope they'll do with this sequel.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff
14. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 6, 2010, 16:50 Elessar

Krovven wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 16:33:
However, us EST players aren't that fortunate.

I find it rather amusing that the EST people that are complaining about this. They had the benefit the last 2 expansions, now Blizz does a unified launch time and east coasters are having a fit about it. QQ more.

Launch time is 12:01am PST....adjust for time zones.

LOL way too much hostility for such a trivial thing.

Not that I care, but wouldn't a 12:01 EST release time, like the last 2, be better for everyone since it's released sooner for everyone? In fact, PSTers would benefit getting it at 9pm in that case.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Reboot Announced
7. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 11:46 Elessar

Verno wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 11:00:
Hey, when people are naming games based on their pricing structure(Battlefield Play4free takes the cake here) then anything goes, including rebooting a ten year old property that you drove into the ground yourself. Also the Spiderman movie franchise is being "rebooted" despite the first movie in the recent trilogy being 8 years old. We live in amusing times.
I could sort of handle the craptastic idea of reboots of reboots and bad naming, individually, but when you acknowledge a bunch of it in a single paragraph it's nearly unbearable. Urk

News Comments > Minecraft Interview
28. Re: Minecraft Interview Dec 2, 2010, 15:20 Elessar

Ventura wrote on Nov 26, 2010, 06:29:
I'm not expecting him to get all "completely bogged down in testing", but fuck, he could have fired it up once. Maybe if he had, then he'd have known that he'd broken the game.
Of course he runs it as he codes, it's silly to think he wouldn't. If you're an avid PC gamer, you should know by now that even AAA devs have a hard time with the infinite amount of hardware profiles out there that run some builds fine, while others don't (*cough* Black Ops *cough*).

It's also silly to expect a few guys, just starting off as an indie dev to produce beta quality products in an alpha stage. In this stage, considering the entire scenario, it should be entirely acceptable that the game could be broken at any given point. If you didn't realize you were signing up to be a tester for a very young game, idk what to say. If you're upset about paying for something in this state, consider it a preorder that you get to futz with during the development process.

News Comments > Ghostbusters Sequel Plans
14. Re: Ghostbusters Sequel Plans Dec 2, 2010, 14:13 Elessar

Bill Borre wrote on Dec 2, 2010, 12:17:
I thought the game was a lot of fun. I had low expectations going into it and was very pleasantly surprised. I think the development team did a great job and I'd like to thank Bill and the rest of the gang for taking the time to record all of those dialogue lines. That must have been a pain in the ass.
I can't really see how providing your voice for, probably, ample amounts of money could be categorized as a pain in the ass. I also wouldn't claim the dev team did a great job for the PC version as it was virtually unplayable with a mouse/keyboard. Copy>Paste console port does not deserve accolades imo.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patch
17. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patch Nov 30, 2010, 13:55 Elessar

Bludd wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 13:12:
Elessar wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 13:04:
Bludd wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 12:44:
None of those offer what BC2 offers; infantry and vehicles in dynamic environments.
On one of the crappiest engines we've ever seen in a shooter. We're not missing out on much.

The ideas are there (destructible environments, vehicles, etc), but they're poorly experienced with floatiness and terrible hit detection. No thanks.
I don't think so. I do think they made the hit detection worse when they changed to the MOH hd but still there is no game that gives you the combination of infantry and vehicles in a dynamic environment. I find it much more fun than just running around shooting people in a static environment like in COD and MOH.
Again, I'm not questioning the type of gameplay BF offers. I just happen to think their engine is shit for the actual shooter aspect of the game. So they can provide the coolest combination of gameplay in the world, but if it's implemented within a crappy engine, it sorta nullifies the cool gameplay.

Aside from that, who cares? Play both or only one type based on your preference. If BC2 didn't have mediocre shooter elements, I'd happily go to that to get my open warfare fix. Both gameplay types offer unique experiences that can be enjoyed by all.

*edit* I do have to retract my former comment that it's one of the crappiest engines we've seen in a shooter. That's a bit much. I guess I just find it extra disappointing that I see so much potential in the gameplay you revel, but falls short in the end for me.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2010, 14:04.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patch
13. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patch Nov 30, 2010, 13:04 Elessar

Bludd wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 12:44:
None of those offer what BC2 offers; infantry and vehicles in dynamic environments.
On one of the crappiest engines we've ever seen in a shooter. We're not missing out on much.

The ideas are there (destructible environments, vehicles, etc), but they're poorly experienced with floatiness and terrible hit detection. No thanks.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans
37. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans Nov 24, 2010, 11:56 Elessar

kxmode wrote on Nov 24, 2010, 11:38:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 15:05:
Uh, youre talking of the same 4.0 that I play, right?

Its the biggest buggy POS Ive ever seen in a game. They broke so many things that in the first 2 weeks I found about 10-20 bugs per day and even now, after 4 weeks I still find at least 1 bug per day. Some of them game breaking like the gunship bug in IoC or the several glitches in raid instances. And so far they have maybe fixed 5% of them.
Polished my ass.

P.S.: maintenance increased to 5 pm.

I was inclined to post these comments on August 27, 2010:

1. "If Blizzard releases Cataclysm this year their reputation will be broken. The game needs at least six months of beta testing. They should push launch out to Summer 2011."

2. "If Cataclysm is released on or before Christmas I will SCREAM to everyone NOT to buy it! I've been playing beta for over a month now. Blizzard keeps introducing game-breaking stuff. The latest is the streaming data (ala Second Life style). This thing alone needs at least 2-3 months of solid testing. Quite simply the game isn't ready for launch."

Somehow I told you so doesn't quite cut it. I knew the moment they announced December 6th comments like Muscular Beaver's would become common... and it'll only get worse over time.
He must have been playing a different game, because me nor the many people I know who play, didn't experience nearly the amount of issues he claims. Aside from a few growing pains (cog glitch) with the major changes in 4.0.1, things have largely been fine. We'll see what Cata brings as far as bugs, but I think you're being a bit melodramatic.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans
21. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans Nov 23, 2010, 10:46 Elessar

Verno wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 07:19:

Oh shut up. You're all going to pick this up and play it at some point and you know it.

Nope and I don't know why this is even assumed. There are a ton of awesome games out right now. Even in my group of friends I'm one of the few who is even remotely interested in this, the casuals are all talking about silly crap like Kinect or playing bizarro mobile games. Face it, most of the casuals wanted to kill Arthas and to them that's the end of the game, there was so much lore focus on him in Warcraft 3 and that's all they remember. The time where WoW was a must play/must buy thing has long since passed.
Funny. You criticize Cutter for making an assumption and then you make one of your own. While you may have more data behind your theory, it's still an assumption.

I plan to pick this up, not sure what to do first though. The new 1-60 experience for nostalgia's sake or level cap my 80 characters.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Extended
11. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Extended Nov 19, 2010, 10:19 Elessar

Verno wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 08:33:
GayBlade wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 07:47:
Verno wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 07:13:
Agreed, people say value is subjective but to those people I say stop paying thousands to do the same thing over and over again for years of your life

What game are you playing where you don't do something repetitive and that you don't have to pay for it?

Reword that so it makes sense and get back to me
Don't be a douche, you know very well what they were asking.

While your comment was a very broad and general statement, paying thousands to do the same thing over and over can be said for a lot of things. Take gaming as a whole. Sure there are different genres and titles, but to people who aren't hip to gaming that see us on a PC or a console night in and night out could say the same thing. You should listen to yourself, because value IS subjective. What's the difference if someone pays 15 bucks a month for the same game (that usually gets new content) or another person who pays 10-50 bucks for each new game? If they're both content, it doesn't matter.

News Comments > PC Fable 3 Not Dead
24. Re: PC Fable 3 Not Dead Nov 18, 2010, 11:04 Elessar

necrosis wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 21:25:
By the time it does come out it will be dead. Even the die hard PC people will have bought or played it on 360 by then because they are stick of waiting.
Not true for all. I have a 360, ps3 and most importantly patience. There's plenty of other games to play and stuff to do, I won't be sick of waiting. I'll gladly wait for a hi-rez version for the PC. Hopefully it won't be a bad port.

News Comments > WoW Welcomes You Back
10. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 12:07 Elessar

GayBlade wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 10:54:
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Bertrand Russell

For my part, I have wasted a lot of time in WoW and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Cheers!
Good quote man and I'm with you, I enjoy WoW. Looking forward to "wasting" more time in Dec.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch
19. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 14:57 Elessar

The game looks awesome, but I haven't had a chance to play it to it's full potential because of the stuttering. Patch fixed it for some, but not all. I think the GPU hitching bullet point is what will fix it for the majority. Looking forward to them ironing this out finally.

I am shocked that it was released in such a state. l2beta.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops
107. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops Nov 11, 2010, 13:50 Elessar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 12:39:
So, what I am seeing on my machine...is that is uses ram instead of the GPU to process?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0zVL8IRRvo
Yes, but from what I'm hearing the load is being put on your CPU instead of your GPU, where it should be. Lots of theories as to why, but really they just need to fix it already.

That game ruining glitch vid was hilarious btw.

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
35. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 12:25 Elessar

l2capitalism  

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
27. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 11:55 Elessar

So let me get this straight. Steam is hurting the PC market by sellings millions of PC units every year? Sorry bro, what Steam is really doing is hurting your digital distribution company's sales, not the PC market. Whoever you are, you're butthurt about this and grasping at straws claiming there's a larger issue.  

104. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops Nov 11, 2010, 09:46 Elessar

space captain wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 05:09:
i tried the "demo" version to see how it would run on my machine and it was lag-city .. not sure why .. it didnt seem THAT intense on gfx

plus i lowered everything to the ultimate minimum and it was still all lagged out and glitchy.. seemed pretty fucking wonky actually
It's a known cpu/gpu glitch that renders the game unplayable. No amount of setting adjustments or community fixes seems to resolve it. It's pretty widespread from what I can tell and entirely inexcusable. The little I have seen of the game looks like there's a ton of potential fun. But for now it remains only as potential.

81. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops Nov 10, 2010, 11:04 Elessar

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 10, 2010, 10:44:
Elessar wrote on Nov 10, 2010, 10:01:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 10, 2010, 08:22:
I do not understand why people feel the need of hating on a game they do not like. For instance I do not like Diablo and the similar types of games and I hate World of Warcraft but you guys don't see me go around all the forums shitting all over those games. To each their own.
Because they're juvenile and they can't see past themselves. They're not familiar with the concept of "to each their own". It appalls them that you like a game that they do not, so they have this uncontrollable urge to berate you and the game you like.

Makes you proud to share this earth with people like that, eh?
I don't understand why muslims let goats drown in their own blood because of some fucked up tradition or how many Chinese people can skin animals alive. I'm sure as hell not gonna sit back and say: Go the fuck ahead, I don't understand this shit... but R.E.S.P.E.C.T, right?
LOL Seriously? Let's keep this in context here. We're talking about games, not killing animals. Terrible analogy.

If you're mad other people like a game that you don't like, sorry for you, but don't take it out on them. It's lame and desperate.

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo