Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elessar

Real Name Elessar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Elessar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2008, 21:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 46094

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Treyarch on Bugs
13. Re: Treyarch on Bugs Feb 9, 2011, 09:56 Elessar

Question now is, with the buginess at release and the lack of innovation in the series, will the next installment sell bazillions of copies as well?

I actually like COD, but it's starting to become a tired formula for me. I hope it is for others too, to force these guys into mixing it up.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BF2 Content in Battlefield 3?
35. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 8, 2011, 14:12 Elessar

No need to lecture, I know perfectly well why they're good. Which is why, for the third time, I'm all for them if they're implemented well. I weigh in because we share opinions here.

I just happen to disagree with the "I'm not buying it, if it doesn't have mod support!" mentality. I'm allowed to post that here right? (hint: rhetorical)

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Details
32. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:03 Elessar

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 13:41:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 13:29:
http://tinyurl.com/49693tc

If those are in game images where you can see the HUD then this game will look absolutely mind blowing ! That picture where the building is collapsing with the sign on the side of it just looks unbelievable.
I hope that's the case, but if it is, my mind will be blown for a different reason. I don't consider DICE to be a top tier developer, based purely on initial product quality and community interaction. BC2 was a mess when it was first released, some of the shit that made it past beta (after repeated reports from testers) was amateur. Server disconnects, a defunct server browser, busted friends functionality, etc. After they patched it up, all was well and it turned out to be a AAA title. So we'll see what they come up with, but DICE has had it's hand in a lot of stuff lately, so I'll be surprised if BF3 is "ready" come release.

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 13:52 Elessar

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 12:16:
Elessar wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 12:04:
Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 11:07:
Ex-modders should know better than anyone how a thriving mod community can keep a game alive (and, more importantly, selling) long past its nominal 'end of life'. To not support the mod community is just stupid. Period.
Maybe 5-8 years ago, but I don't think this is as important these days. Could be wrong, but I'd wager the majority of people interested in BF3 won't hold back their purchase for lack of mod support. Myself included.

It doesn't need to be a deal breaker to be a bad decision regardless of what you think.
Just because you want it and they don't include it, doesn't make it a bad decision.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 12:04 Elessar

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 11:07:
Ex-modders should know better than anyone how a thriving mod community can keep a game alive (and, more importantly, selling) long past its nominal 'end of life'. To not support the mod community is just stupid. Period.
Maybe 5-8 years ago, but I don't think this is as important these days. Could be wrong, but I'd wager the majority of people interested in BF3 won't hold back their purchase for lack of mod support. Myself included.

33. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 17:32 Elessar

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 13:10:
That's a bit ridiculous. The lack of mods for a game that doesn't give you the ability to mod it somehow means that there are no possible creative avenues unexplored?
You're taking this a bit too far. I'm sure someone could do something with BC2 if it were possible, I just happen to think it's pretty self sustaining and can't benefit from it as much as 1942 did at the time.

You don't care about mods, fair enough. That doesn't mean everyone else should stop caring about it. User generated content is a good thing for a game to have, there is no legitimate argument otherwise.

That's a design issue, not a mod issue. A developer not adding a simple "Vanilla" tickbox in a server browser shouldn't condemn the modding experience. The advantages of a custom content community far outweigh the disadvantage of a user joining a modded server by accident.
Maybe I should rephrase... I'm not a fan of mods when they're sloppily implemented and get in the way of core gameplay. As I said earlier, if they can be launched separately or filtered, I'm all for it.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2011, 18:20.

31. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 12:53 Elessar

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 12:25:
Well it seems wrong then because some of us just like mods. I loved BF1942 just as much as I loved Desert Combat and I wouldn't want to give up the experience of playing either, they were both fantastic in their own ways.
If anything, this furthers my point. 1942 and DC are old school at this point. I enjoyed both too, but there wasn't anything like DC at the time. You can get almost any flavor of game now that time has passed. For modern games, like BC2? I can't think of how a mod would make it that much better than the core gameplay. It's a pretty self sustaining game as it stands.

Some user content is just as polished and professional as AAA efforts by the way.
I know. Which is why I prefaced my comment with that.

No one would force you sift through through mods, they don't affect you one way or the other. Choice is rarely a bad thing.
Some games are better than others at letting you sift through mods. If it's anything like Quake, UT or TF2 was, where modded servers were littered in with core gameplay servers, they do affect me and I simply don't want mods in that game. If they can be filtered out or launched separately, then by all means, choice is a good thing.

28. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 11:25 Elessar

bigspender wrote on Feb 6, 2011, 02:58:
can't say i've ever bothered to play a mod in and BF games. I'd rather a more polished product or more content, than have amateur content from fans

I second this. Not to say all mods are amateur, but I'd much rather launch a game browser and select from static, known gametypes/rules. The examples given to support modding (Desert Combat, Quake Mods) are fine, except they apply to less polished games released several years ago. The devs have already improved iterations of their games throughout the years. Plus, with the indie scene's recent rise, we're seeing unique gameplay come from them too (Monday Night Combat for example).

It seems the people that are for mods come from that old school mentality, woeful of days gone by and are unhappy with how PC gaming has turned out. I get that, but I've also learned to accept it and appreciate the good, polished games that come out now.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2011, 11:30.

News Comments > 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall
63. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 17:48 Elessar

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 15:02:
I hear ya man, I've been waiting for them to get it right since BF1942 They've been improving though, the hit detection in Vietnam seems better. I feel more effective at the actual shooting stuff in BC2:Vietnam than I ever did in BC2 itself. So I think they are headed in the right direction hopefully.
I didn't know they were tweaking that sort of thing, especially in DLC. That's actually promising news to me. Hopefully they continue to tighten up shooting for BF3.

47. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:45 Elessar

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:07:
People are more critical at times when they really enjoy something because the flaws are that much more apparent. I've seen you do some bitching around here too btw
Oh no doubt. I wasn't excluding myself by any means. Hell look at the critiquing I did in the post you quoted.

Regarding BF though, that always seems to be the trade-off. Big maps, vehicles and large scale battles at the expense of shooting mechanics. I want both damnit!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't keeping an eye on this, though. I just found all of the buzz and excitement here interesting. Especially because DICE games usually have noticeable flaws and blues is the place to go to see them pointed out. With BF, the good just happens to outweigh the bad. Which is good, but not great.

40. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:51 Elessar

I'm surprised so many here are excited about BF3. Especially considering how critical the community is. Don't get me wrong, I've played nearly all the Battlefields, but there always seems to be something missing in the shooter mechanics of DICE's games. The concept of big battles fought inside large maps with vehicles is awesome. I think they implement that part excellently. It just always feels like they're a step behind when it comes to the "feel" of the shooter aspect in their games. IMO CoD does a much better job in this regard. The mechanics are far more immersive. The downside to CoD is you're stuck in rat maze maps. I've often wished either DICE would finally "get it" with the shooting mechanics and that <insert dev name here> would "get it" with map/scale design in CoD.

BC2 was a major step forward in almost every way, but I still found the feel to be floaty and the shooting a little laggy. Therefore I just can't get excited for BF3 and I'm surprised so many are.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 News Tomorrow?
48. Re: Battlefield 3 News Tomorrow? Feb 4, 2011, 13:33 Elessar

Whoops *wrong thread*

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2011, 13:50.

News Comments > PC BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught Cancelled
16. Re: PC BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught Cancelled Feb 3, 2011, 15:02 Elessar

Over the past few weeks I've seen devs get raked over the coals here over the lack of PC demos. But a dev outright cancels a game and we see "Welp, that's a shame." Too funny.  

News Comments > Duty Calls
16. Re: Duty Calls Feb 2, 2011, 17:43 Elessar

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 15:40:
No time to put together a Bulletstorm PC demo but they have time to do this.

Newsflash! They can do whatever the hell they want. Your loss of sale because they decided not to make a demo was surely considered and yet ultimately ignored. The game will succeed or fail regardless of how unfair you think they are.

Leave it to some people here to find some way to bitch about something fun and jovial. Something that pokes fun at what a lot of people here rip on all the time.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2011, 17:50.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Infographic
1. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Infographic Feb 1, 2011, 16:27 Elessar

I've been a fan of COD MP for years, so I don't necessarily hate on it. But these numbers are just pointless and uninteresting to me.

IDK, maybe the perk stuff is a little, but how many shots were fired and how many user vids were made? Meh.

They could add "People have jumped a bajillion times." and it would fit right in.

News Comments > Magicka Patched
1. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 1, 2011, 14:12 Elessar

Can anyone confirm if these patches are truly stabilizing the game? I've been holding off on getting it until some of the issues were worked out.  

News Comments > On Magicka's Bugs
19. Re: On Magicka's Bugs Jan 28, 2011, 15:37 Elessar

JaguarUSF wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 14:07:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 12:36:
pushing out a buggy product and then playing the sympathy card totally leads to higher sales.

It's still the top seller on Steam.
You're missing his point.

It's selling because the game is interesting to people, not because everyone is reading apologetic statements and buying it out of sympathy.

News Comments > On Magicka's Bugs
13. Re: On Magicka's Bugs Jan 28, 2011, 13:55 Elessar

Icewind wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 12:25:
Just admit it...you wanted to push it out the door and figured you could play this nice guy act to gain the sympathy of your customers.

Ain't working.
Pahlease. That's a bit much, don't you think?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Monday Night Combat
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Monday Night Combat Jan 25, 2011, 10:08 Elessar

It's a shame that something like Black Ops gets so much attention here or anywhere (be it positive or negative), yet when a deeper than average, fun shooter comes along it gets less than 10 posts. Pity.  

News Comments > Dungeons Website
6. Re: Dungeons Website Jan 24, 2011, 13:17 Elessar

When I first saw this, I thought for sure it'd be a DK clone. But after looking into it, it is but only in style. The gameplay is going to be "Sims-y" if I interpreted what the devs were saying correctly.

Honestly, seeing this just makes me want to play DK, but we'll see. Maybe it'll be fun afterall?

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo