Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elessar

Real Name Elessar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Elessar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2008, 21:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 46094

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month
32. Re: Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month Mar 18, 2011, 17:50 Elessar

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 16:49:
Elessar wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 16:16:

Valid points. Now start with that and assumptions wouldn't need to be made. That, or don't get offended when assumptions are made based on limited griping.

Or, how about you just randomly quit interpreting something as griping just because not everyone shares your personal opinions about how DA2 is the greatest fucking thing on the planet.

Creston
Whoa, such a touchy person. There's nothing wrong with griping and I've never indicated it's the greatest thing on the planet. But judging from how much you overreact about everything (that I've seen), I can understand why you'd interpret my impression of the game as such.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month Mar 18, 2011, 16:16 Elessar

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 16:10:
Elessar wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 14:53:
Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 13:00:
Especially seeing what they did with a short dev time for DA2.

Creston
Your gripe seems to be about the transition that DA made from 1 to 2. As I said earlier DA2 is a lot like ME2. So it seems they're maintaining their faster paced, tactical gameplay mentality. Which is what you'd expect from ME3. So what it really looks like to me is you're concluding that since they ruined the style of DA1 in DA2, to you, they're going to suck with anything else they release. Too broad of a conclusion imo.

How about you stop assuming what my problem with the development of DA2 is? I don't particularly care that they made the gameplay faster in DA2. What I do care about is that their lack of dev time shines through in all areas of the game. Fedex quests, being stuck in one city that's pretty bog-standard boring RPG fare, reusing the same dungeon 5 trillion times.

I loved the wide variety of areas in ME2, and the wide variety of quests (even if admittedly they all boiled down to: Run through a level and kill everything), the wide variety of characters, all the side quests, etc.

I don't want to see all that go the way of the dodo because Bioware decided they can now make games in half the time, especially when DA2 is pretty decisively showing that, actually, no they can't.

Creston
Valid points. Now start with that and assumptions wouldn't need to be made. That, or don't get offended when assumptions are made based on limited griping.

25. Re: Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month Mar 18, 2011, 15:42 Elessar

I wasn't comparing transitions. Just pointing out the similarities in pacing and combat that DA2 shared with ME2. So if that style of play is their current philosophy, then ME3 should be largely unaffected.

Still I think it's too early to write off Bioware simply because people don't like the style change in one of their series. I get why someone would be disappointed, but by no means does the change indicate that Bioware sucks now. At least it shouldn't for any reasonable person.

23. Re: Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month Mar 18, 2011, 14:53 Elessar

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 13:00:
Especially seeing what they did with a short dev time for DA2.

Creston
Your gripe seems to be about the transition that DA made from 1 to 2. As I said earlier DA2 is a lot like ME2. So it seems they're maintaining their faster paced, tactical gameplay mentality. Which is what you'd expect from ME3. So what it really looks like to me is you're concluding that since they ruined the style of DA1 in DA2, to you, they're going to suck with anything else they release. Too broad of a conclusion imo.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2011, 15:07.

12. Re: Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month Mar 18, 2011, 11:37 Elessar

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 10:50:
Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 10:32:
Cool, I hope it's as good as Shadow Broker and Overlord were.

Ditto. I'll definitely pick it up.

I just hope and pray ME THREE doesn't suffer from DA2 Syndrome. But seeing as how it's only getting ~ 20 months of development time, I'm not exactly filled with confidence.

Creston
Loved ME1 and ME2, didn't like DA1, but love DA2. If anything DA2 is more like the Mass Effects in terms of a good blend of action, tactics and pacing, so I highly doubt ME3 is all of a sudden going to suck (by your terms). Plus if some of the DLC has been good up to this point, there's really no need to be pessimistic about ME3.

News Comments > Monday Night Combat Free Weekend
15. Re: Monday Night Combat Free Weekend Mar 18, 2011, 11:00 Elessar

Awesome game. I highly recommend it. It particularly gets fun when the game "clicks" for you. Even though it's a shooter at it's core, there's a lot of team-based responsibility if you want to win matches. Each match you get money to buy upgrades, so along with upgrading your skills, you should upgrade turrets and such too. For new players Assassin's can be a major nuisance. You can hear their stealth shield when they're stealthed near you, so keep an ear out for them and use defensive abilities.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
32. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Mar 17, 2011, 09:51 Elessar

Awesome. Also, did you notice how when they went through the door on the rooftop, when they made the cut to the right, they leaned their bodies into the turn. Almost like the naturalmotion animations you would expect to see in Madden.  

News Comments > EA on The Old Republic vs WoW
17. Re: EA on The Old Republic vs WoW Mar 16, 2011, 11:24 Elessar

Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 00:06:
Ehm. Even as someone who's never played WoW, I can see that KoR is just WoW in (Star Wars) space. How exactly are you different?

Creston
Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 20:37:
Obviously it's very different! It's WoW in Space!
These comments are so generic and single-minded it's not even funny. It's like saying: Battlefield is CoD with vehicles, cause they both have guns.

Most games are derivatives of others. Simply because they have similar MMORPG elements like classes, talents, abilities (core RPG elements, mind you) doesn't mean they can't be entirely different from another game. Not to mention the stories, lore, settings will all be completely different. I could go on, but I shouldn't have to.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2011, 11:43.

News Comments > RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended
2. Re: RIFT Founder's Pricing Plan Extended Mar 10, 2011, 11:48 Elessar

Give me a trial, then I may give you my money.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released
92. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 12:46 Elessar

Really? You (and others) are going to nitpick a demo because the difficulty was too easy? Is it really that hard to imagine how if it were more difficult, you may enjoy it more? Again, it's a glimpse into the gameplay, you were reading too much into it imo.  

News Comments > EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform"
16. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 11:55 Elessar

So sick of these empty promises. Put up or shut up.

That goes for you too PCGA, Microsoft, etc...

News Comments > Blizzard Playing Titan Already
9. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 11:52 Elessar

Torlock wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 11:38:
I don't understand the point of Paul Sams talking about how awesome this game is when they havent even released an actual title or ANY information whatsoever.
I actually kind of find it annoying. Either give us substantial information or stfu about it please. Quit telling me how awesome something is in concept, reminding me that I won't know or see shit about it for awhile.

90. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 11:44 Elessar

Jerykk wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 22:57:
And people wonder why demo's aren't released. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

There are a lot of things they could have done to improve the demo. First and foremost, if they hadn't locked the difficulty to Normal, nobody would have complained about the combat being too easy. They shouldn't have locked the inventory either. Or most of the game options. They should have also made sure that the DX10 and 11 modes actually worked correctly.

Rest assured, playing the game on Nightmare difficulty makes a huge difference. I still don't like the limited tactical camera or the other changes they've made but the combat is still challenging and tactical on the highest difficulty setting.

And the game looks pretty good on the highest detail settings + hi-res texture pack. A lot better than the demo, for sure.
Dude, it was a fucking demo. Surely you realize it's a minute fraction of what the game's capable of. You may think it lacked proper representation of the full game, but I completely disagree. It gave me a sense of how Awesome the game could be and I bought it because of it. If anyone had reservations after playing it, fine, but people absolutely blasted the entire game over short, limited gameplay demo. Talk about premature conclusions. Sheesh.

74. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 17:28 Elessar

entr0py wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 17:26:
Really enjoying the game so far. Some of the changes are definitely good, such as the inventory management and crafting overhauls. Losing the floaty overhead cam continues to suck, especially on nightmare. Managing agro and crowd control are now particularly vital, due to the new interrupt and knockback systems. Mages are still awesome, but they're now much more vulnerable, while rogues and archers have become a lot more useful in combat.

As I suspected, people were reading WAY too much into the demo. "What, stealth, lockpicking/trap disarming, injury kits, poisons ect. weren't in the 20 minute demo? They must not exist!"
And people wonder why demo's aren't released. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

64. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:19 Elessar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 15:14:
Diablo? Diablo II? 3? Fable? Man a real lack of action RPG's and I didn't even list them all.
Who said there was a lack? Regardless I've played and finished those all, so...

57. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 15:03 Elessar

Skimmed through that article. It's funny, the things they changed with DA2 actually added me as a customer and lost most of you guys here. Here being at Blues, I'm seeing there's more support for tactical cRPGs, but elsewhere I'm sure they've added more customers than lost with the more action-oriented approach. It's the whole console-kids debate, but oddly I find myself on the other end on this one. I'm glad there's a action rpg with some depth for people like me, but sorry for you guys missing out not getting a deep, tactical cRPG.  

53. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:52 Elessar

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:49:
so the Press A issue doesn't really apply.

But how will awesome things happen?!?!?!
If you press A, you will more than likely move or strafe to the left. There may be something awesome over to the left though.

49. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:46 Elessar

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:42:
It's made by an entirely different team so I wouldn't lose faith Creston
Okay, so now I'm curious, what is so awful about this game that has garnered so much pessimism? Did anyone play it extensively outside of the demo? Also, if I had to guess, most of you guys would play the PC version, so the Press A issue doesn't really apply.

45. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 14:37 Elessar

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 14:13:
Sigh. Hopefully ME3 will still be decent, although with the short development time, it seems rather doubtful.
So much doom and gloom about this. The demo made me want to actually buy this day one, so I'm predicting DA2 (and ME3) will be much more than decent.

Seems to be getting reviewed well so far too. I enjoy the faster pace, but for those that don't you may still want to give it a chance. Not gospel or anything, but one of the reviews say... "It may be difficult for hardcore gamers to ignore the revamped combat system, but once you calm down and excuse some minor flaws, you'll find an amazing game in Dragon Age II."

34. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 8, 2011, 13:15 Elessar

Agree that it should be toggle-able, but there's so much else to do that I think too much focus is being put on normal attacks. You have lots of abilities coming off cooldowns (especially in the full game), not to mention coordinating abilities on several other party members. So I don't mind that in the few moments of downtime I actually press the button that swings the sword as opposed to just watching.

If this were a full fledged action rpg (ala Fable) then this wouldn't be acceptable. But there's so much other shit to do in DA, I'm not sure why this is such a focal point.

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo