Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elessar

Real Name Elessar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Elessar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2008, 21:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 46094

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Brink HUD Trailer
11. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 14:15 Elessar

Verno wrote on May 3, 2011, 12:13:
I asked one of the developers on the forums how the smart navigation system works for the environment. He basically said that the sprint button can be held down to automatically traverse the environment but it will only do the basics, sliding under things or grabbing a ledge to vault over. To do the more complex stuff they've shown in some videos you need to combine the crouch and jump keys. An example he gave me was some guy leaping over a railing to grab a post and swing across a gap. It sounded like an interesting idea that offers an easy solution to those that don't want to think about it while offering more advanced things for other players.
At first I was turned off by the idea that it auto traverses some things, but imagining it I can see how it would be less monotonous to do the more repetitive tasks. I'm still torn though. I'm sure it'll be fine once I get to feel out for myself.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Brink Server FAQ, Trailer
17. Re: Brink Server FAQ, Trailer Apr 29, 2011, 13:03 Elessar

Verno wrote on Apr 29, 2011, 09:43:
I think 9v9 is fine personally, it's a nice cross between smaller focused squads while still allowing for some chaotic moments. Counter-Strike is a good example of a game that is quite tactical and interesting with smaller teams but mindless nonsense when it gets above 5-6 players per side. To each his own I guess

In any case the devs mentioned on the forums it could be changed in the future but the existing maps are balanced around 9vs9 so it would most likely be for newer maps.
Totally agree. I think 9v9 offers a great balance. People always seem to want a kajillion people on a server, it just turns into a fragfest. While I understand that some people like that, I'm glad Brink has a limit of 18.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2011, 13:10.

News Comments > Oddworld: Hand of Odd Revival
1. Re: Oddworld: Hand of Odd Revival Apr 29, 2011, 12:31 Elessar

Fix/release HD versions of the stuff in the Oddboxx first, please.  

News Comments > LucasArts Signs Unreal Engine 3 Deal
16. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 16:08 Elessar

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 14:50:
Didn't I read somewhere that they fired all those people to concentrate on farming out their IP and game ideas to other companies to make? Perhaps this deal covers their publishing agreements and not strictly in-house development.

I could easily see them farming out a Republic Commando or Battlefront sequel to a developer like Timegate or Digital Extremes in the current climate. UE3 would be perfect for that.
I wondered this too. Maybe if they farm out projects, the license to dev on the engine will be included. So LA criticisms aside, this deal still may be a good thing.

News Comments > On Portal 2's Axed Puke Gel
30. Re: On Portal 2's Axed Puke Gel Apr 26, 2011, 13:00 Elessar

saluk wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 02:47:
Wow, sad. Portal 2 was close to great, but after introducing some cool new features, they did absolutely nothing interesting with them. Game had enough runway to be twice as long. Even with coop, not really worth 50$. Why would they take something guaranteed to be great and whittle it down until it's mediocre?

When did game development become about cutting features out instead of throwing in as many crazy ideas as you could fit? No question there were just as many crappy games in the olden days as they were now, but at least game developers had BALLS.
While gameplay is very important, I think people are losing sight of how well put together the entire game was. The pacing and the story were exceptional and the game was FUN. I think some of you are too busy picking apart the technical aspects and you're missing out on the package deal. I'd much rather Valve not take your suggested sloppy approach and stick to refining it for a better overall experience.

Very few games can pull you in to a narration and if you were willing, this one sucked you right in. Add to that fun and slightly challenging puzzles and unique gameplay... Valve has a winner.

As for cutting wall walking because of testers, I do think it's unfortunate, but I'm still more than satisfied with Portal 2 overall.

News Comments > (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans
3. Re: (Free) Minecraft Mod Plans Apr 26, 2011, 12:10 Elessar

My brother and I picked Minecraft back up after letting it cook for awhile. Last night, deep beneath the earth, I watched him catch on fire, run over a ledge to get to water only to fall into more lava. All his stuff incinerated. Too damn funny.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Commentary Trailer
11. Re: Battlefield 3 Commentary Trailer Apr 24, 2011, 01:50 Elessar

Jerykk wrote on Apr 24, 2011, 00:32:
Well, yeah, that's usually how it works. However, all those extra artists, animators, scripters, programmers and designers hired to work on SP could have been added to the MP team instead.
Yeah. I sorta wish they would have left BF3 multiplayer only. They had the Bad Company name to feed us SP, BF has always been about MP. We'll see at the end of the day what it's like, I just hope it doesn't turn into a quantity versus quality deal.

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
151. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 23, 2011, 15:12 Elessar

You can fix the floaty mouse issue by turning of v-sync, which is on by default. (sorry if this was mentioned before)

As for the game, I just finished it and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Normally I accept other people have opinions, but if you bitch about this game being consolized or whatever, you're fuckin nuts.

It's worth every penny, which is only enhanced by the value you get from an amazingly unique co-op. A friend and I messed with that for a couple hours last night and it's just awesome.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation Trailer
4. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation Trailer Apr 20, 2011, 09:50 Elessar

AnointedSword wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 08:36:
Remember when Id released maps for like...ummmm free? :0)
Man, how sad and true that is. Not just id either, maps were free for a bunch of devs/games.

News Comments > Portal 2 Nears
89. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 23:56 Elessar

I don't care when it comes out, but this whole thing just reeks of lameness.  

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 13:39 Elessar

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 13:19:
$40 for $150 worth of games is a pretty good deal no matter how you slice it.
What if you don't want any of the games and were more interested in the main purpose of the promotion, Portal 2 being released early? I don't care personally, just trying to understand the logic here.

News Comments > One Potato, Two Potato...
36. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 13:00 Elessar

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:40:
I never said "if you actually believed Valve, you're an idiot."... what I said was if you believed you were going to effect the release date of something by days with no confirmation from Valve themselves, you are a fool.
TIL idiot <> fool.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 12:52 Elessar

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:47:
Why would they be lying about releasing it early? You are just dumb.
descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:51:
You are just totally lost, aren't you...
Oh the irony.

29. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 12:39 Elessar

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:32:
I'm sorry you think every time someone uses the word "you" they are referring directly to your face. There is no rage in my post, relax.
You referenced and quoted me several times, yet I'm to believe you're not talking to me? I suggest structuring your thoughts and posts better so that they make a bit more sense.

24. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 12:20 Elessar

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 11:57:
So if they didn't want the games, they were not forced in any way to buy them. Everyone keeps talking like they were duped into buying games they didn't want. If you are so impatient (or gullible) that you would believed the launch would be moved by days... you deserve to be let down
I think you need to read the posts of people your responding to, because you're including me in a group of people I clearly said I was not apart of. I could care less if this game came out a week ago, a week from now or whatever. So take your lame rage and direct it at the copius amounts of other people who are actually whining about it.
I would say they didn't miss the mark at all.
Hype and press exposure couldn't be any higher for portal2 right now...
They sold a shitton of indie game packs and portal2 preorders...
entertained people for a few days leading up to their launch and...

look... the world did not end.
You still don't get it. We're talking about the purpose of the ARG in regards to rewarding fans, not the developers bank account. The main (marketed) purpose of their campaign was to give incentive to Portal 2 fans by releasing it early if enough indie games were bought and used. In the end, the main incentive didn't really amount to much.
Verno wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 11:59:
I think where the ARG really failed is giving people incentive to do this again next time, assuming there is one. 24 hours at the minimum is what I would have recommended but I understand that there were probably complications with retail partners and etc. I'm not personally disappointed but I can see how others(the obvious whiners aside) would be.
I agree and this is why I believe they missed the mark.

18. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 11:48 Elessar

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 11:33:
They didn't get much?

They got 13 basically awesome indie games for $3 a piece.
They got exposure to games they may not had tried, and sucked back into games they have put down.
Portal 2 releases 6 hours early with minimal effort.

Where exactly are the negatives to this situation? You "wanted" it to have a more significant impact on the release time... well that's just too bad.
You're assuming all Portal 2 fans even wanted $3 indie games in the first place. They're two separate things. I just think it's a lot of hoopla for no real good reason. Again, I think it's great for the indies, just not really as big a deal for the fans as they made it out to be.

By the way, I didn't "want" anything. Merely pointing how I think they missed the mark. So telling me too bad isn't really applicable.

13. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 11:30 Elessar

SirKnight wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 11:01:
Here we go again, more bitching, moaning and complaining from those who can never be pleased who bitch, moan and complain just for the sake of it.
I'm not as fervent as some of the others. My only issue is how big of a deal Valve made about a reward that's fairly insignificant. I think it's great for the indies involved, but the fans really didn't get much out of this campaign marketed to reward them.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 15, 2011, 09:37 Elessar

I caved and bought a Wii for Mario, Zelda, etc. I really enjoyed Mario Galaxy, Zelda and New Super Mario Bros, but after awhile I just couldn't deal with the shitty controller anymore. I wish they'd accommodate their hardcore fanbase and let us use a gamecube controller for these types of games, but alas they'd rather just appeal to the masses entirely.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Million Fan March
8. Re: Battlefield 3 Million Fan March Apr 15, 2011, 09:31 Elessar

Lame. Weak. Pathetic. All words that come to mind. It's like paying people to be your friend.  

News Comments > Diablo III Details?
23. Re: Diablo III Details? Apr 14, 2011, 16:14 Elessar

Krowen, fucking relax man. I was just speculating based on what I've seen in the past and up to this point reading what this guy is spouting off about. Nothing I said is far fetched, nor is it necessarily true. Hence why it's speculation.  

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo