Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elessar

Real Name Elessar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Elessar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2008, 21:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 46094

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Hellgate Closed Beta Tomorrow
11. Re: Hellgate Closed Beta Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011, 11:31 Elessar

Verno wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 10:34:
You're in a for a big surprise. It sucks. Surprise! Ok that wasn't a big surprise I guess.
This new iteration does or are you just guessing? I never played the first because of the negative reception, not sure if they improved anything on this release or not.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed
61. Re: Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed May 31, 2011, 15:27 Elessar

Verno wrote on May 31, 2011, 15:17:
I don't think that people should necessarily panic or conclude the absolute worst but I think they are more than justified in worrying about it.
I was concerned when I first read the headline, but when I dug into it a bit further it seems like they're charging for a bunch of extra stuff that wasn't in the box anyway. Now if they're going to start using this as a platform to charge for content, then I can see panic setting in. My comment about it not mattering to non-CoD fans was taken (or put) wrong and has detracted from my main point a few posts back, but oh well.

57. Re: Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed May 31, 2011, 15:14 Elessar

Verno wrote on May 31, 2011, 15:05:
Very well said. Those kinds of remarks are about as useful as the terrible posts about how bad X website they continually read and post on a daily basis is.
It is well said, but out of place. He's assuming that "a company makes a decision to monetize something that used to be free". What are they, exactly, charging for that you used to get for free? My intent wasn't to indicate that gaming news is isolated to one game, just that this is not a huge issue to be concerned about with CoD (let alone other games) until we find out more.

54. Re: Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed May 31, 2011, 15:01 Elessar

Bhruic wrote on May 31, 2011, 14:58:
If you didn't like or care about CoD anyway, none of this should matter to you

This sort of logic always strikes me as strange. It's as if people think that games are completely enclosed entities that never have any impact beyond themselves.

When a company makes a decision to monetize something that used to be free, why would we assume they would restrict it to a single game? Or a single game series? If it turns out they make money off of this, is there any reason to believe that they wouldn't want to port the system to all of their other games?

So yes, I might have little interest in the next CoD game, but that doesn't mean that I don't have an interest in the business decisions they are making regarding that game, because it's very likely the success or failure of this new system will spread to other games that I do care about.
You're taking that out of context. That was more directed at those who come in here and say "See?! I told you they were going to do this, they suck!". My overall point was, for what this service affects, it really doesn't impact anyone. At least not yet, until more details come out. It's just tiring to see people use any headline news as a platform to bitch with little to no substance or information.

50. Re: Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed May 31, 2011, 14:35 Elessar

Rather than coming in and aimlessly bitching about CoD and Activision, why don't some of you bitch with substance. These threads are always full of the same old boring, canned CoD complaints. It's annoying to have to weed through the typical repetitious crap to find people on topic. I dislike Activision as much as many of you, but endlessly spamming blues with shallow, aimless complaints is lame. That said...

I'm trying to understand what it is they're doing with CoD Elite. I watched the Gametrailers vid to get a better understanding, but it seems like most of that shit is already baked into Blackops, except with Elite that functionality has been moved to a web-based platform. So they say MP will remain the same, which means you'd get some maps with the game and then the rest will be in money grab DLC. So all I can conclude from this is if you don't subscribe, you don't get the web-based, group making, stat tracking crap. To that I say, who cares?

If you didn't like or care about CoD anyway, none of this should matter to you. If you did and you were worried you'd have to pay monthly for what you got in the box before, it doesn't seem like this affects that much. I could be mistaken, so if anyone has additional insight on what you get or don't get with Elite, it would be interesting to know.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Delayed
17. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Delayed May 26, 2011, 13:10 Elessar

Krowen, your hostility was unprompted and totally unnecessary. I was reading through this thread, everything seemed pretty innocuous and then you come in raging. Do you really care that much about how other people think to rant and rave like this? Who cares if someone goes a little off topic in your eyes. Ignore it and move on or clarify like a reasonable human being.

Chill the fuck out.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DiRT 3
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - DiRT 3 May 25, 2011, 10:21 Elessar

StaTik wrote on May 25, 2011, 08:47:
I'm loving this game! If you like Dirt2 you will like Dirt3 it's just a better game in all aspects.

Wheel support on the PC is awesome there is true H-shifting with clutch. Once in a while when I get high centered on a berm the gravel grabs the linkage under the car and takes it out of gear. Truly the best driving game I have ever played.
For some reason, I've always glossed over the idea of using a wheel for racing games. Just never appealed to me. But after reading these posts and seeing the youtube link above, I'm very tempted. Is it truly that much better than a controller? Also, any wheel recommendations to get started with?

In regards to DiRT3, is this a sim or more of a sim/arcade blend?

News Comments > Gold - Duke Nukem Forever
36. Re: Gold - Duke Nukem Forever May 24, 2011, 14:55 Elessar

Tumbler wrote on May 24, 2011, 12:03:
I hope ppl buy this because I am interested in playing it but I'm not going to be the sucker who plunks down $60. Already did that with brink, someone else's turn now, I give you brink you give me duke, balance restored.
Dude, I'm so bummed I bought into Brink at the onset. I would gladly trade Brink for Duke. In a second.

News Comments > PC Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale This Week
7. Re: PC Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale This Week May 23, 2011, 16:41 Elessar

Icewind wrote on May 23, 2011, 15:39:
LOC wrote on May 23, 2011, 15:21:
Sweet. Don't know why exactly, but I'm rather looking forward to this game for some reason.

I hate when people say that. "Oh gawd, I don't know why but I want this."

Then why are you even gaming?

It's being made as a modern day equivalent to the Dark Alliance games, the devs even admitted to being BG:DA fans and they want to recreate that same type of casual gameplay with this one.

Educate yourself.
Yeah LOC get your shit together! Don't come in here with your anti-gaming attitude and your uneducated drivel! It's seriously offensive. Like seriously!

News Comments > PC Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation Next Month
9. Re: PC Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation Next Month May 20, 2011, 21:23 Elessar

StingingVelvet wrote on May 19, 2011, 23:55:
TurdFergasun wrote on May 19, 2011, 22:32:
i thought you'd love cookie cutter souless franchises, being the financial parasite you are.

My like or dislike of Call of Duty has absolutely nothing to do with how stupid it is to criticize a company for making a game 10+ million of people want to buy.
/thread

News Comments > Brink Patch Next Week
12. Re: Brink Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 21:11 Elessar

Jonny5 wrote on May 20, 2011, 20:52:
MajorD wrote on May 20, 2011, 17:30:
I didn't like this game out of the gate as much as I thought I initially would, but the more I play it and get used to the character, maps, physics/movement (SMART), etc., the more I am liking it. It is the same concept of 'teamwork' as QW: ET, but as of right now I think I like QW: ET much better. More time will tell...... See you on 'The Ark'. ;-P

Why do people say this... Ya heard enemy Territory and Assumed it was Quake Wars :ET that this game is like ....WRONG... This is a modern day WOLFENSTEIN : ENEMY TERRITORY.... so many people around claiming they know chit. This game is NOTHING like Quake Wars. The BRINK forums are the same way , all these 15-16 year olds claiming they KNOW Team based combat, HEAR ET mentioned and Assume it is QW:ET then repeat the same drivel on the forums just looking stupid.

Oh well, glad the BRINk you are playing is like QW:ET, the BRINK I am playing IS WOlfenstein:ET...jus like it , same classes, almost same mechanics.. NO FLYING AIRCRAFT or Vehicles... TEAM/CLASS based combat.....

Old school Gamers WILL remember the ET this game is made after, HEck they even use the SAME announcer voices.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo&t=0m2s

News Comments > Diablo III Followers Trailer
21. Re: Diablo III Followers Trailer May 13, 2011, 11:47 Elessar

I do wish they would have gone with a grittier, gloomier approach to the art direction. As it is know it looks like an isometric WoW. Visually, that is.  

News Comments > Original Alice with Alice: Madness Returns Preorders
8. Re: Original Alice with Alice: Madness Returns Preorders May 13, 2011, 11:42 Elessar

nin wrote on May 12, 2011, 22:56:

Steam or go home, EA.

+1

I don't want to have multiple digital store apps on my computer or more web logins to keep track of. Steam's enough for me, make it happen!

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 in November?
1. Re: Modern Warfare 3 in November? May 13, 2011, 11:39 Elessar

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the anticipation of BF3.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Tools Released
9. Re: Portal 2 Tools Released May 11, 2011, 13:57 Elessar

So is myapeturelabs.com the go to place for user made maps or is there somewhere else better?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Brink
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Brink May 10, 2011, 12:42 Elessar

Finally. Someone with something positive to say. I've seen horrible comments (elsewhere) like people comparing Brink to COD. People never cease to amaze me.

I preordered it, but won't be able to play till tonight. Looking forward to it.

News Comments > WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10
28. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 10:01 Elessar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:07:
Doombringer wrote on May 9, 2011, 22:51:
. WoW is 6 years old, you're going to see some drop-off in subscribers.
It's not so much the age, but the fact that they screwed talents so badly that everyone is cookiecutter, and the content is mediocre.
Classic argument for someone who's bitter about the changes Blizzard made. Which is understandable, but don't kid yourself into believing age isn't the primary reason people drop off.

Far more people are going to get bored and leave, than people are going to get nitpicky and leave.

News Comments > BRINK Preloads on Steam
21. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 15:15 Elessar

Fion wrote on May 7, 2011, 12:38:
Thanks for the details guys. You have successfully gotten me excited.
Same! Preordered and downloading now. I'm looking forward to this. Glad Verno will have a server for the Blues crew. Awesome.

News Comments > Dead Block Announced
9. Re: Dead Block Announced May 6, 2011, 11:40 Elessar

Jerykk wrote on May 6, 2011, 03:16:
There's nothing inherently wrong with the zombie genre. Compared to military shooters, zombie games are still relatively fresh. The problem is that developers are focusing on the wrong elements of zombie fiction. Zombie fiction isn't about heavily-armed badasses killing wave after wave of zombies. It's about normal people trying to cope with the breakdown of society and the end of civilization as they know it. Watch any zombie movie and that's what you'll see. What you won't see is Rambo vs Zombies, which is basically what all zombie games have been thus far. They haven't explored any of the interesting elements of zombie fiction, like infection, survival, human interaction and ambiguous moral choices. Dead State is the only game that looks to incorporate these aspects and as such, I'm really looking forward to it.

If you haven't already, you should really check out PCGamer's recent preview of Dead State: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/03/dead-state-preview/

The official forum also has some very interesting info: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html
Totally agree. The reasons you listed are why I like zombie movies so much. I like to imagine myself there and what I'd do. How better to do that than in an interactive form with a game. Yet we get zombie waves. I'll have to check out that Dead State preview.

News Comments > Brink Class Trailer
3. Re: Brink Class Trailer May 4, 2011, 14:10 Elessar

As much as I hate exclusive pre-order crap, I'm very tempted to pre-order this one. Wonder if they'll offer a way to unlock weapons from other pre-orders.  

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo