Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J

Real Name J   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2008, 11:36
Total Comments 1274 (Pro)
User ID 45926

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex Clothing Line
15. Re: Deus Ex Clothing Line Aug 23, 2011, 05:44 J

I didn't ask for this!
Tracer thongs? That was downright awful! Grats.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews
62. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews Aug 23, 2011, 04:25 J

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 01:32:
1.5 hrs to go. I do feel for those on the East coast.

^D^

3 days to go. Feel for me too!

News Comments > Duke Reboot Planned?
2. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 11:44 J

Due date: Second quarter, 2026.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 21, 2011, 20:51 J

Reposted from a previous thread: Unlock info!

Also, I'm happy to see DX:HR at #1 on Steam!

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads
86. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 21, 2011, 20:49 J

Sho wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 16:26:
Those three days I'm going to have to wait past the US launch as a UK customer will be friggin' hard, too.

I hear you. I've planned out my days leading up to Friday so that I'm kept busy and then have the whole weekend free to bury my head into Human Revolution's augmented sand

News Comments > Morning Previews
27. Re: Morning Previews--Deus Ex Aug 20, 2011, 05:29 J

Unlock info!  

25. Re: Morning Previews--Deus Ex Aug 19, 2011, 14:09 J

I think I may play through the first two...  

23. Re: Morning Previews--Deus Ex Aug 19, 2011, 12:19 J

This is going to be the longest week of my life!  

16. Re: Morning Previews--Deus Ex Aug 19, 2011, 05:09 J

nin wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 21:52:

I hear the preload is starting. Hope GMG gets us our keys tomorrow ASAP.

Indeed it is. Preloading now... wondering if I'll have to wait an entire week before I can play it

7. Re: Morning Previews--Deus Ex Aug 18, 2011, 15:25 J

I am doing everything I can to get the weekend off and I fully intend to immerse myself into DX:HR, only surfacing for annoying necessities to keep me alive and hygenic; may also post "WOO!" in HR threads  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A
66. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 17, 2011, 14:11 J

Nah, I just paint overly negative people as trolls. It's normally a safe bet.  

64. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 17, 2011, 13:49 J

Pleco wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 12:52:
I haven't made any reference to DX1 with regards to boss fights, only you have - talk about taking words out of context. My point is that it doesn't need context to realise that it's a boring clichéd boss fight.

You claimed it's a boring clichéd boss fight and my point was that it's an improvement over the original Deus Ex. Clear?

It's in the video interview linked in this very article, numbnuts - their gameplay justification for the boss fights is that they "force the player to be as clever as possible". If the game encourages the player to be clever throughout, it kind of makes that point irrelevant. Clear?

Well, they do need a different strategy with the first boss at least, as opposed to the standard levels. So they are still encouraging the player to be clever in a different way. "Kind of" doesn't work too well with words like moot and irrelevant, they are better as all-or-nothing words. It's quite lazy in my view, like your original remarks. Once you put in those details then it all makes sense.

55. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 17, 2011, 03:42 J

That sounds right. You do risk making yourself vulnerable after an attack, but they are frozen/limited during the melee itself.  

53. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 17, 2011, 02:32 J

You don't need to run away normally, no, but it does take much longer to utilise that strategy without dedicating yourself to it. My point is that the slowness is the trade-off for the power of the melee takedown, which can make it boring for somebody who doesn't specialize. You called it overpowered and I don't think it is overpowered. Overpowered would suggest you could run around doing it to all the NPCs and they couldn't do anything back. It's powerful, sure, but I wouldn't call it overpowered.

No, I was definitely performing silent takedowns when I got caught out. I've been caught out more than once doing it too. Perhaps they were looking the other way when you did it?

I tend to presume the player is 6 feet tall when I do my estimations. If I take that character and place him horizontally I think that would be greater than the reach for the melee.

I'm pretty certain I've been heard whilst crouch-moving in HR before. I'm not sure if it was just because I was moving fast or if I was strafing, as I have since altered my gameplay. I'll need to test that more thoroughly.

I agree the pathfinding isn't perfect, and I also hope that's something that's worked on for the final build. In the original DX once they heard you they could magically find you even when hidden or having moved, so it's still a step up from that - what with them now having a 'last observed at' point to work with.

We'll see for sure in a week or so.

51. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 17, 2011, 01:53 J

Jerykk wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 23:23:
Actually, I don't think the energy requirement really helps make it less overpowered. Your first energy cell automatically regenerates so it doesn't make stealth harder, it just makes it slower.

The other batteries, however, do not automatically regenerate. And if you do not have the faster recharge aug then it does take a long time to fill back up again. In this time you are unable to melee and it makes it harder to cloak/stealth and get away again.

In addition, the game world pauses during the takedown cinematics so there's literally no chance of you being seen or attacked during a takedown.

I've been spotted performing melee attacks due to the animation. That would contradict "literally no chance". I have also been subsequently shot at. Maybe we're playing a different version of the game?

On top of that. the takedowns can be triggered from like 8 feet away,

Maybe four feet? Did you get the Mr Fantastic aug?

your crouched (and completely silent) movement speed is faster than the NPC patrol speed,

Just like the original Deus Ex. (And I believe you make footstep sounds in HR whilst crouching and moving quickly, unlike DX)

NPCs have a 90 degree vision cone with almost no vertical range, the third-person cover system lets you watch enemies without them having any chance to see you

They can still spot you if they walk past. If you're very stealthy then, well yeah, they don't know you're there.

and the radar detects all enemies (and their facing direction) within range regardless of line of sight or sound.

This point I agree with. Part of me hopes that, as it's an aug, it may be optional in the final game. It is possible to ignore it being there, but yeah, that is something that nags me.

50. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 17, 2011, 01:40 J

Pleco wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 15:53:
C'mon. You're dropped into a locked arena style setting (with columns no less) where you're forced to duke it out. That's boring, cliché and unimaginative, regardless of what game you're comparing to.

Especially if I'm comparing it to the original Deus Ex to make a point about how the now-romanticized Deus Ex wasn't actually all that great*. But trolling doesn't involve understanding the original context, it's all about taking words out of context and twisting them for your own agenda, yeah? That makes you boring, cliché and unimaginative in my opinion. Perhaps if you were to try working with the conversation instead of sniping?

Great. So, the developer's justification of including boss fights as a gameplay mechanic necessary to force player creativeness is kind of moot then.

See above. You're typing junk there, buddy boy. "Kind of moot"? Seriously? What does that even mean? And what developer's justification are you referring to? Citation please.

*I loved Deus Ex. I went very deep into it and got many hours of enjoyment out of it. I do, however, still see its shortcomings and I am not going to delude myself about it. It was good for its time, but it needs a reboot and development to get it where it should be. It'll take time and who-knows-how-many releases - the important thing is to keep it real and not get lost in romantic notions. Too much sentimentality may lend credence to "Old men are the future". Oh yes. Within six months.

45. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 13:42 J

nin wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 13:37:
J wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 12:43:
And here's a video of Squirmer playing the leaked version. He was very resourceful in not using any of his GUNS
(It may not actually be Squirmer, but the idea tickles me)

I had seen someone trying to throw fire extinguishers and wondered if they could be shot and cause dmg...

I don't know, to be honest. I've thrown them and they've started spraying but I've not yet thrown it at somebody to see if it stuns them in any way. I haven't tried shooting them either.

slight spoiler:
But that is a cool video...I used the rocket launcher, since I found it after I had already killed the spider tank. Knowing I had a boss fight coming up, I saved it, and found two more rounds for it. 3 hits from that and he was dead.
My first time I ended up sniping him in the head whenever I could, but since then I've gotten into the habit of stunning him and then unloading whatever I have to hand into him. I have been playing on the highest difficulty level so getting hit is rather painful!

43. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 13:35 J

Pleco wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 13:17:
Strange, to me it just looks like a lame, unimaginative arena style fight against an annoyingly super human character with no AI to speak of.

Unlike Agent Navarre and Gunther Hermann, right? Their combat AI was splendid! Seriously, though, the boss in the HR leak seeks you out, tries to flush you out with grenades, and shoots a lot with his gun. It seems he has some trouble with gas though.

He justifies the boss fights as a way of "forcing" the player to be clever and creative. Why limit this to forced encounters? This is something that should be encouraged throughout the entire game, and I hope it is, because this is one thing the original DX did so well with its challenging and emergent style gameplay.

If you enter a firefight in HR without being clever and creative it's quite easy to come undone. It pays to be prepared in any group combat situation. Only today I was trapped by suppressive fire and then another sneaked around the balcony and dropped a grenade on me. Why? Because I forgot to move a box before it got shot to pieces - a box I could have used to get myself over an obstacle so I could flank them.

Guys need to stop reacting to specualtive ideas and try the hands-on experience before jumping the gun.

41. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 12:43 J

And here's a video of Squirmer playing the leaked version. He was very resourceful in not using any of his GUNS
(It may not actually be Squirmer, but the idea tickles me)

40. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 12:35 J

This is what I like about these guys. They've put in what they like, they pro-actively sought out feedback from the internet, and even though they disagree with what people said, they've given the option because it's what people were passionate about.

They were straight up about it and they did it before the game was even released. That earns kudos from me.

1274 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo