Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J

Real Name J   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2008, 11:36
Total Comments 1228 (Pro)
User ID 45926

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Vector Jumps Onto Steam
8. Re: Vector Jumps Onto Steam Dec 5, 2013, 16:24 J

Back in my day we had pebbles and our imagination. You don't know how good you've got it today.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Desert Strike TMed
9. Re: Desert Strike TMed Dec 4, 2013, 06:32 J

Sim Helicopter  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: EA's Star Wars game deal lasts a decade… Nov 20, 2013, 12:35 J

Let's get this out of the way.  

News Comments > Signal Ops on Steam & Linux
4. Re: 2013-11-19 02:16:13 Nov 19, 2013, 18:39 J

Has somebody been hitting the sauce again?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
55. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:26 J

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:23:
J wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:15:

That explains it!

If they ever add a co-op mode I'm calling dibs on Creston.

Co-op would be pretty awesome , though it's kinda hard to see how it would work in the strategy part...
Do what you like and blame the other person when they get killed?

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:26 J

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:20:
I've had one that cloaked and stayed invisible for something like 7 or 8 turns before it struck. I'd actually already totally forgotten about the stupid thing. It managed to choke my sniper for a round until I got Speedy McSuperHero (aka my Punchy Mech) back and perforated it with a well place railgun shot.
I was crowded into a room and waiting for it to make a strike, making sure we were all covering each other. The first one struck right away and we took care of that one. The second one came into view several turns later and it was not cloaked.

In multiplayer I know there's a countdown, so I'm thinking there may be one in singleplayer too. It'll become more clear in time.

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 11:15 J

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:11:
J wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 08:51:
I don't like meld. I grab it where I can, but I don't go out of my way to get it.

There's always one container that's within fairly easy reach, and the other one, eh, if I come across it I'll grab it, but otherwise I just ignore it. And if they blow up, they blow up. You get a lot more meld from major (scripted) missions and big UFOs anyway, so the containers really aren't all that mega-valuable to begin with. They really should give 20 Meld per.

And what's the deal with injuries now? A soldier gets wounded, I heal them up in the field, and when they get back they're wounded or critically wounded. Grr.

A soldier gets wounded if their damage reaches into their personal hitpoint pool, regardless of whether you healed them or not. A squaddie with 6 health and 4 from a Carapace armor will be fine from a 2 damage shot, but be wounded from a 5 damage shot.

That same squaddie in Titan armor, with 10hp, will be fine from a 2 shot, a 5 shot, or even an 8 damage shot, but would be critically wounded (after the mission) if their combined damage was applied.

That explains it!

If they ever add a co-op mode I'm calling dibs on Creston.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 09:58 J

Renee wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 09:54:
And someone can be in overwatch and still get strangled without being able to get their shot off? Ouch.
From my experience so far it seems that the person it's attacking doesn't get a shot, but nearby allies do.

Once it decloaks then there's an opportunity for overwatch fire. If it's killed at this point then nothing happens. If it survives then it strangles its victim.

I presume it's so that you can't have one lone wolf kill it, which would undermine the purpose of its implementation: attacking lone wolf characters such as the sniper (making you want to keep your squad together.)

I believe that they can only cloak for a number of turns though.

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 09:05 J

InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 09:00:
J wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 08:51:

And what's the deal with injuries now? A soldier gets wounded, I heal them up in the field, and when they get back they're wounded or critically wounded. Grr.

Erm thats what it was like in Enemy Unknown, sorry but not having it that way would be way too cheap and easy. (Ironman rFTW )

Strange, I could swear I remember that not happening. I'd disagree with "way too cheap and easy" in any case. It justifies having a medic along, who has a finite amount of healing available, in a world where the odds are stacked heavily against you.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 08:51 J

peteham wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 04:56:
Are we talking about the slingshot UFO or the Caniadian whalers here? Not that it matters. I got both early and they were both nightmares!

Canadian whalers. I had only just teched into laser weapons (regular rifles only). Thankfully I'd also just upgraded to a six man squad. Spoilers: I normally only save at the start of a mission and at at base, with the rule of having to restart the level if need be. On this level I saved before the ship megaspawn sequence as well. I was trying to contain them whilst wondering if the spawning was infinite or not. I tried sneaking a guy to the terminal but they homed in on him even when they didn't have LOS - which gave me rage! I ended up using the highest bridge on the ship as leverage so that it was more like shooting fish in a barrel, with my MEC picking them off at ground level. Thankfully the first wave was finite. I then learned the hard way that taking anything less than the direct route back to the exit is suicide. I learned to keep my sniper back (despite the temptation to bring her forward to aid with the ship fight) and she provided covering fire whilst my units scrambled to get back to the exit. When they arrived they then picked off the Chrys(s)alids who were chasing the guy who pushed the button. I learned that it was best to have one guy do that so the others all had a headstart. All in all it was a nightmare! If it wasn't for magical homing enemies I'd have loved it.

Normal is still a bit too easy though, and sadly, the RNG makes classic completely unplayable for me without massive fits of rage, especially early on.

I'm playing on classic. Feel my pain

Didn't take me long to revert to normal for this EW playthrough. Fans of the familiar "that's XCOM!"-line are quick to point out that the numbers even out over the course of a game, but I'd argue that me nailing a thin man on a lucky 20% shot once in a while, doesn't even begin to compare with a thin man nailing the sniper major it has taken me 15 missions to build, with an equally lucky 20% shot from across the map. Especially what with snipers being virtually useless, and a pain in the ass to level up, until they unlock squad sight and become instant powerhouses.
I raged and restarted a level when a Muton who was completely out of sight one shot killed one of my men and the others started panicking. That's just not sporting. And what made it worse was that I had the audio cue that he was falling back. Back in the good old days panic wasn't something that just lasted a turn (that annoys me with the flamethrowers - that they panic when you hit them, but then on their next turn they behave as though nothing happened) and low morale required a concerted effort to occur and to reverse. A lucky shot causing my soldiers to flip out is not strategy.

On the subject of things going wrong, and the addition of MELD, Beaglerush posted this on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUM4VwLQzI .. I swear, this video cracks me up so hard! The girly scream makes it perfect

I had this happen last night on another map. I was within reach of the meld and had cleared the enemies. I decide to push to grab it and then it spawns about seven enemies nearby who have great fun at my expense.

There was also a floater who would always hide behind the meld container. This was evil incarnate! Killing the floater caused him to explode which destroy the meld. Firaxis, this is my unimpressed face.

I don't like meld. I grab it where I can, but I don't go out of my way to get it.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 17, 2013, 21:01 J

I have one thing to say about Enemy Within at the moment: I had the ship special mission early on.

That was a nightmare!

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE Nov 16, 2013, 20:10 J

In other news, Einstein achieved rockstar status...  

News Comments > Omerta - City of Gangsters Expansion Next Month
4. Re: Omerta - City of Gangsters Expansion Next Month Nov 13, 2013, 10:54 J

What content did they add?  

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 10, 2013, 12:59 J

It passes time until Enemy Within is released. That, and Shadow Era...  

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 10, 2013, 12:46 J

nin wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 12:41:
Assetto Corsa

Pardon?

It's an Italian donkey, of course.

News Comments > FPS Creator Reloaded Beta
2. Re: FPS Creator Reloaded Beta Nov 6, 2013, 12:21 J

I imagine an FPS world where Blues News posters have their faces on avatars...  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 29, 2013, 17:14 J

And here's a screenshot of Robocop taking cover behind a wall... Yes, I already used that pun for the Terminator. No, I don't regret it!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2013, 14:22 J

I still have one monitor running at 1024x768. Yeah, you jel!  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Turns 5
32. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 04:16 J

The fifth birthday celebrations were going well, until the robot messed up the cake and the bully still wanted his piece of it...  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Oct 25, 2013, 10:43 J

Mmm. My concern was that stealth was too easy and too powerful in the original. If there's now two batteries worth of recharging, does that mean stealth is now even easier, or does the A.I. address this somehow?  

1228 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo