Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J

Real Name J   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2008, 11:36
Total Comments 1281 (Pro)
User ID 45926

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Crossfire Announced
4. Re: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire Announced Jun 13, 2012, 12:23 J

I want to revisit this game at some point. They did some major patchwork to introduce things like line of sight enemy reveal, sector inventory, traders restock, etc. - things which would have been awesome off the bat but were introduced some time afterwards. At the moment I'm being kept occupied with DayZ and Chaos Rising Co-op so it'll have to wait.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DayZ Interview
23. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 11:06 J

RailWizard wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 09:13:
J wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 05:58:
If you don't like it then stop clogging up the servers.

So is this guy "surviving" in your opinion? (i hate to give him more spotlight time, since he obviously subsists on it, but...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQebH_-S6k

That asshole is from shacknews, where everybody was all "awesome vids bro!"

Personally, I say it's the equivalent of a fart joke. Which is what the guy seems to be, and many others just like him. Everybody might laugh at it once, but only the kids never get tired of it.

No, he's not surviving. He should have shot the troll and headed upstairs, presuming he had ammo.

Heck, even a quick shot to slow the troll down so the zombies snacked on his delicious corpse after he bled and passed out would have been good.

To try running away and then be vulnerable like that is asking for trouble.

I was just in a server where a guy was warned by a friendly sniper not to stand in an open field and he didn't listen. He was subsequently shot by another sniper.

Survival is not running away. It's about thinking on your feet and taking whatever action is necessary to survive.

If I encountered a troll like that I'd be grateful. Some will simply shoot on sight. This guy could be turned into bait whilst I made my getaway.

News Comments > DayZ Interview
9. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 05:58 J

Bhruic wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 02:13:
Yeah. We've started to see a few "civilization" projects pop up, where large groups of survivors are planning to take over an area, and make it a "safe zone" for other survivors. We've seen some people volunteer to play a doctor role, and volunteer to help people who need medical aid (with precautions, of course). So there are options other than "shoot everyone you see", but you have to make the effort to enact them. The game isn't going to hand them to you. It truly is open-ended in that sense.

This.

Sure, I've been shot in the back a few times - that's part of the experience. I can cave in and become a bandit or quit and complain. I choose not to.

There are decent folks out there, there are those who just want to mind their own, and there are those who will happily cram a bullet into your eye socket without a second's thought.

I consider this a test of humanity. How do people behave when the odds are stacked against them and there's little in the way of rewards and hand-holding?

The easy way out is to make excuses. Oh, he looked at me funny! You're playing like COD OMG grow up! This isn't fair! etc. etc.

The bottom line is you have to survive. They have to survive. It's how we go about it which is the important thing, and it is down to each and every one of us to make that choice and to invest the effort into maintaining it.

I like it. If you don't like it then stop clogging up the servers.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: matthew@what.now? Jun 8, 2012, 13:16 J

G+-  

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Jun 7, 2012, 02:55 J

EA? Sounds familiar from somewhere... oh... I think I used to buy their games in the last century. Origin? Don't know what that is.  

News Comments > John Carmack's VR Headset
11. Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Jun 7, 2012, 02:52 J

Shall I go and fetch my lawnmower, man?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 3, 2012, 18:53 J

Token DayZ comment. Just had fun covering two teammates in Elektro, from the hills, with my trusty sniper rifle  

News Comments > LEGO: The Lord of the Rings Announced
6. Re: LEGO: The Lord of the Rings Announced Jun 2, 2012, 13:12 J

Wolfox wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 12:47:
I heard it includes a character named Legolas. How convenient.

*golf clap*

/was going to go with the Lord of the Blocks angle, but I know when I'm beaten

News Comments > StarForge Demo
11. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 07:31 J

So much for PC gaming being dead. There's been more and more good stuff surfacing within the last year? or so, and there seems to be no letting up.

Good times, good times

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Demo
8. Re: Batman: Arkham City Demo Jun 1, 2012, 07:18 J

entr0py wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 03:49:
Fion wrote on May 31, 2012, 23:13:
I got this game when it hit from Greenmangaming. Unfortunately thanks to their craptastic 'manditory' program, the game would never install and I went round and round with them to get it fixed and it never did (I tried again a few weeks ago). As you can imagine it put me off the company.

I'm hoping to see the game on steam cheap maybe this winter.

Yes the Green Man Gaming download client is unbelievably bad. Fortunately the last game I bought there, Mass Effect 3, came with a code that let me alternately just plug it into Origin and download there. I think Steam games have a similar system. I would never recommend buying a game at GMG unless they're really just selling you a discounted code for some other service.

You have just implied that something is worse than Origin. I'll go and fetch my popcorn.

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Trailer
4. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Trailer May 31, 2012, 10:03 J

Current snapshot via YouTube:
53 likes, 76 dislikes

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: EA in a Nutshell. May 29, 2012, 12:26 J

Origin is bigger than Steam? That part I would question.  

News Comments > New DayZ Mod for Arma II
30. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 12:31 J

I solo and I was quite clueless until I found my first map. I even went around, quite by chance, in a big circle and ended up near where I started.

Now I have the map I can take time to figure out where I am and plan where I should go to. Fortunately for me, a couple of people died in a town and had all this useful equipment on them

22. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 07:12 J

Wow, it seems we have an influx of clueless trolls. They may as well be zombies, it's like they're not even trying any more  

18. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 03:23 J

I've since figured out that if I reload my clip then the clip I had swaps into the inventory and I end up with partial clips. I've been in the habit of reloading when almost empty so that I don't run out, but doing that in DayZ means I end up with clips that have only a few bullets left in them - not good in a firefight!

At one point I was in a warehouse at night and there was a sudden lightning flash and I thought I saw somebody at the other end. I think it was just the shadows, but I consider that a testament to immersion.

And yeah, filter 1.6.0.1 and just be patient - that seems to work with regards to finding servers.

13. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 19:31 J

Just had a nice long session... towns with plenty of recurring zombies and houses that I can't get into; times where my Makarov doesn't seem to be working properly, like when it would only have one bullet chambered each time I reloaded; swimming in the water caused me to lose my backpack and its contents; surviving a number of zombies in a town only to have a bandit pop me.

I did enjoy my chase though. It began when my stealth mission through a town at night was rumbled by a zombie. It evolved into a full on chase through the town, woodlands, another town, around the coast, and finally into the water, where I managed to swim away from and finally lose the zombies. I even tried running past an idler but they didn't take the bait. Crawling around at night whilst low on health-related resources and equipment and completely out of ammo is quite the experience. After a long time searching I finally heard the sound of buzzing flies, the precursor to a corpse that helped me to resupply and patch myself up. No more shaky vision for me

8. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 15:21 J

Trying to connect is like a mini-game in itself! This one is stuck on "Waiting on server response" although I can see the chat scroll past. Other people seem to be in.

I managed to get two games on one server before that froze. The first one I got shot by a player for following a flare. Sucker! The second one I got further but it was dark and pouring with rain and I ran out of ammo and got zombied. I didn't think they would be out in the countryside, let alone there being so many. I think I popped off 5 or 6 of them before I snuffed it.

Back to trying to connect...

5. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:20 J

Bhruic wrote on May 27, 2012, 14:17:
I get an error saying the server isn't running the right version, or something along those lines, even though everybody else seems to be connected just fine.

There's often some confusion when a new patch comes out. Unlike with other games, servers don't get automatically updated when the patch is released. So quite a few servers are still running 1.5.8.4, some are running 1.6.0.0, and some are running 1.6.0.1. So make sure you are running 1.6.0.1 (the latest), and are only trying to connect to servers that are running the same version. Most servers list their version number as part of their server name.

It's weird, on the server selection screen it's saying both my client and the server are 1.6. I figure that's what the yellow ! is implying though, that it's not? The only green light I have seems to be a small server that's running something different from the others.

I'm just making sure everything is updated. I guess after that I'll have to wait?

2. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:10 J

That must be why the site went down. I've just downloaded the 12 gigs and I'm now downloading whatever patches I can find as I can't make it work for the unlife of me.

I get an error saying the server isn't running the right version, or something along those lines, even though everybody else seems to be connected just fine.

As their site is down I cannot get to their forum, so any advice would be appreciated. I have run both, and it's happily saying @dayz in the top right corner when it's loaded up.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
4. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 27, 2012, 11:53 J

Also:

Get in my Loverator!

1281 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo