Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J

Real Name J   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2008, 11:36
Total Comments 1253 (Pro)
User ID 45926

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > StarForge Demo
11. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 07:31 J

So much for PC gaming being dead. There's been more and more good stuff surfacing within the last year? or so, and there seems to be no letting up.

Good times, good times

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Demo
8. Re: Batman: Arkham City Demo Jun 1, 2012, 07:18 J

entr0py wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 03:49:
Fion wrote on May 31, 2012, 23:13:
I got this game when it hit from Greenmangaming. Unfortunately thanks to their craptastic 'manditory' program, the game would never install and I went round and round with them to get it fixed and it never did (I tried again a few weeks ago). As you can imagine it put me off the company.

I'm hoping to see the game on steam cheap maybe this winter.

Yes the Green Man Gaming download client is unbelievably bad. Fortunately the last game I bought there, Mass Effect 3, came with a code that let me alternately just plug it into Origin and download there. I think Steam games have a similar system. I would never recommend buying a game at GMG unless they're really just selling you a discounted code for some other service.

You have just implied that something is worse than Origin. I'll go and fetch my popcorn.

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Trailer
4. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Trailer May 31, 2012, 10:03 J

Current snapshot via YouTube:
53 likes, 76 dislikes

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: EA in a Nutshell. May 29, 2012, 12:26 J

Origin is bigger than Steam? That part I would question.  

News Comments > New DayZ Mod for Arma II
30. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 12:31 J

I solo and I was quite clueless until I found my first map. I even went around, quite by chance, in a big circle and ended up near where I started.

Now I have the map I can take time to figure out where I am and plan where I should go to. Fortunately for me, a couple of people died in a town and had all this useful equipment on them

22. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 07:12 J

Wow, it seems we have an influx of clueless trolls. They may as well be zombies, it's like they're not even trying any more  

18. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 03:23 J

I've since figured out that if I reload my clip then the clip I had swaps into the inventory and I end up with partial clips. I've been in the habit of reloading when almost empty so that I don't run out, but doing that in DayZ means I end up with clips that have only a few bullets left in them - not good in a firefight!

At one point I was in a warehouse at night and there was a sudden lightning flash and I thought I saw somebody at the other end. I think it was just the shadows, but I consider that a testament to immersion.

And yeah, filter 1.6.0.1 and just be patient - that seems to work with regards to finding servers.

13. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 19:31 J

Just had a nice long session... towns with plenty of recurring zombies and houses that I can't get into; times where my Makarov doesn't seem to be working properly, like when it would only have one bullet chambered each time I reloaded; swimming in the water caused me to lose my backpack and its contents; surviving a number of zombies in a town only to have a bandit pop me.

I did enjoy my chase though. It began when my stealth mission through a town at night was rumbled by a zombie. It evolved into a full on chase through the town, woodlands, another town, around the coast, and finally into the water, where I managed to swim away from and finally lose the zombies. I even tried running past an idler but they didn't take the bait. Crawling around at night whilst low on health-related resources and equipment and completely out of ammo is quite the experience. After a long time searching I finally heard the sound of buzzing flies, the precursor to a corpse that helped me to resupply and patch myself up. No more shaky vision for me

8. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 15:21 J

Trying to connect is like a mini-game in itself! This one is stuck on "Waiting on server response" although I can see the chat scroll past. Other people seem to be in.

I managed to get two games on one server before that froze. The first one I got shot by a player for following a flare. Sucker! The second one I got further but it was dark and pouring with rain and I ran out of ammo and got zombied. I didn't think they would be out in the countryside, let alone there being so many. I think I popped off 5 or 6 of them before I snuffed it.

Back to trying to connect...

5. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:20 J

Bhruic wrote on May 27, 2012, 14:17:
I get an error saying the server isn't running the right version, or something along those lines, even though everybody else seems to be connected just fine.

There's often some confusion when a new patch comes out. Unlike with other games, servers don't get automatically updated when the patch is released. So quite a few servers are still running 1.5.8.4, some are running 1.6.0.0, and some are running 1.6.0.1. So make sure you are running 1.6.0.1 (the latest), and are only trying to connect to servers that are running the same version. Most servers list their version number as part of their server name.

It's weird, on the server selection screen it's saying both my client and the server are 1.6. I figure that's what the yellow ! is implying though, that it's not? The only green light I have seems to be a small server that's running something different from the others.

I'm just making sure everything is updated. I guess after that I'll have to wait?

2. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:10 J

That must be why the site went down. I've just downloaded the 12 gigs and I'm now downloading whatever patches I can find as I can't make it work for the unlife of me.

I get an error saying the server isn't running the right version, or something along those lines, even though everybody else seems to be connected just fine.

As their site is down I cannot get to their forum, so any advice would be appreciated. I have run both, and it's happily saying @dayz in the top right corner when it's loaded up.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
4. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 27, 2012, 11:53 J

Also:

Get in my Loverator!

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
3. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 27, 2012, 05:25 J

I don't think you two are alone in this anticipation.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 26, 2012, 16:55 J

StormPowered? Only two letters out  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 25, 2012, 19:13 J

It doesn't matter if I get shot, I'll just hop behind this conveniently placed wall and regenerate my health!  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer May 25, 2012, 15:04 J

I spy a barrel roll!  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
5. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers May 23, 2012, 14:33 J

Oh, that would really suck  

News Comments > New DayZ Mod
40. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 09:05 J

gray wrote on May 23, 2012, 07:55:
Town names: They are on the map and also signposted on the roads and on entering/leaving every town.

Alliances: It's upto you to forge relationships, the game will not do anything for you.

Safe storage: You can store items in tents, these can be raided so make sure they are well hidden.

It's not supposed to be a console game with flashing markers all over. It's supposed to reflect the harsh reality of a post-apocalyptic world, a simulation hence the use of Arma2 as the platform.
Town names: That was not evident in the three YouTube videos I watched. Please show me some evidence of that.

Alliances: Then there's more to lose than to gain.

Safe Storage: How do you hide items well? Can you create your own stashes wherever you see fit? If so, perhaps woodland would be better?

I don't want consolitis, but if I have a map then I'd like to be able to mark it with things I find useful. The maps I saw in the YouTube videos had only terrain to work with, not the things you were mentioning.

(I do actually get the jist of it, but cheers for talking down to me. I hope you felt superior for it.)

34. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 05:15 J

I think what bugs me about it are these things:

Town names: You get a brief bit of text when you start, apparently, but beyond that it's hard to figure out where you are. You cannot add markers to a map when you get one. Maps don't show town names. Sign posts are in Russian? I suppose you could take a screenshot of the map and edit in a paint package, but that's still outside of the game which detracts from emersion.

Alliances: How can you trust anybody? You can't. Whilst it adds to the paranoia and atmosphere, it makes it hard to create a community when it just takes one nutter (or one moment of madness) to lose everything and then spawn somewhere totally different with a new life. With the slow build-up, short life expectancy, and easy death, what are the benefits of working together? It's like having a nuclear creeper in minecraft who destroys the whole world when it blows up.

Safe storage: Is there any way to hide/lock away valuables so there's at least some chance of salvage should something go awry? I've not seen anything which suggests that's possible. It wouldn't be easy to get back to the area where the treasure is hidden, but it wouldn't be a total wipeout if you can get back there.

Team chat: Can you form teams and then send messages to only them?

33. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 02:49 J

Dev wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:19:
J wrote on May 22, 2012, 16:31:
Dev wrote on May 22, 2012, 16:07:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UV8RRE/
Amazon still has for $15
I wonder if that would work for somebody in Britland? If so then it's half as expensive as the cheapest one I can find here.
Try it and see. I can order from other country amazon sites (like I've ordered stuff from amazon.de) so I would imagine you could too.
I'll just wait and see how it evolves. I don't feel any compulsion to play it.

1253 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo