Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ComHam

Real Name ComHam   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CommunistHamster
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 8, 2008, 17:29
Total Comments 701 (Apprentice)
User ID 45854

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Arma 3 Next Month
5. Re: Arma 3 Next Month Aug 8, 2013, 10:30 CommunistHamster

The performance is only slightly worse than Arma 2, but the "feel" of Arma 3 is as much of an improvement over 2 as 2 was over the original Arma.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited
2. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 09:38 CommunistHamster

Chris Taylor would have to do a pretty good job to beat the Planetary Annihilation team, which also includes former TA devs.

As for a new Battlezone or Star Control, well, here's hoping.

News Comments > 0x10c Multiplayer Footage
23. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 26, 2012, 06:34 CommunistHamster

We've had space games forever, but this adds the one crucial feature that loads of people have been clamouring for: walking around inside your ship. Simple, even completely irrelevant to most of the game maybe, but people want it because that's how you get the feeling of being a person flying a spaceship.  

News Comments > 33% of Gaming Kickstarters Funded
2. Re: 33% of Gaming Kickstarters Funded Jun 21, 2012, 21:02 CommunistHamster

"82% of projects that raised more than 20% of their goal were funded"

I wonder what this statistic looks like in a graph. I'd expect it rises quite fast, eg 95% of projects that reach 50% of their goal were funded.

Another neat part was that out of the 7 projects that went over a million dollars, 3 were games.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 20, 2012, 09:52 CommunistHamster

The lack of transparency is quite ridiculous. Large companies and governments should be held to the same standards.  

News Comments > On BF3 Cheating
11. Re: On BF3 Cheating Jun 18, 2012, 13:53 CommunistHamster

The more obvious "100-0 K/D" cheaters are actually pretty rare as people have to pay monthly fees for their hacks these days (comedy gold) so they're often smarter with them.
What the fuck is wrong with competitive games these days? What kind of enjoyment can you get from winning an unfair game?

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"
8. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play" Jun 14, 2012, 21:23 CommunistHamster

Type "TORtanic" into wikipedia. See what happens.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 14, 2012, 10:47 CommunistHamster

The very existence of a "karma system" on reddit is censorship, leading to self-censorship and groupthink.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2012, Part 13
8. Re: It Came from E3 2012, Part 13 Jun 14, 2012, 08:20 CommunistHamster

There isn't a single gawker media site worth reading.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 13, 2012, 08:17 CommunistHamster

I'd watch a 50 vs 50 Arma 2 battle between two well organised teams. Include "embedded reporters" as well as crowcams for video.

Man, I'm remembering some show on Bravo UK from 10 years ago now. Two teams face off in various videogame and hacking challenges.

News Comments > Slant Six Layoffs
2. Re: Slant Six Layoffs Jun 12, 2012, 20:57 CommunistHamster

Some of the devs probably have their own ideas which might actually sell. Unfortunately they have been buried under sequels that nobody wanted.  

News Comments > DayZ Interview
33. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 11, 2012, 05:22 CommunistHamster

It surprised me how little effort developers put into stopping griefers. I remember in BF1942 getting more annoyed at Dice than the teamkillers themselves, because dealing with them would be so easy. Killed a team-mate? Your next respawn is delayed one deployment cycle. Killed two team-mates? That's two cycles, or a minute IIRC. That gives legitimate players an incentive to be a bit more careful and gives griefing players a whole bucket full of frustration - a taste of their own medicine.
That's how they handled it, yeah. I think tk'ing put 30 or 60 seconds on your respawn timer.

There used to be a bandit system in dayz but rocket took it out, since it gamified trust too much. On balance I think it should be restored.

. I don't have long play sessions so I have never teamed up with anyone else
Yeah, arma 2 is one game you really need to play for hours at a time, it's pretty inherent in its nature and I can't think of any way to change it.

News Comments > DayZ Interview
21. Re: DayZ Interview Jun 10, 2012, 10:14 CommunistHamster

I've enjoyed what I've played of dayz so far. Chernarus is very big, even for 50 people. The mod really shows the limitations of arma 2's handling of close-quarters stuff, I guess, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

Cooperating with people you've just met is more fun (and safer) than lone-wolfing it. I haven't played enough to get killed by another player yet. Part of the problem is that you can't lower your sidearm, so looking at someone (for the 90% of people without trackir) = aiming at them. Hand-gestures help for distance communicating, like salute. There's another mod that adds more, (sam_handgestures I think), which should probably be incorporated.

Sneaking through mogilevka to scavenge supplies and someone drives past in a repaired car. The noise alerted every zombie in town and they ran towards him, thankfully missing my hiding spot, so I was able to scavenge in peace and all the zombies ended up 500 meters away from town chasing after the car till they lost interest.

Then the server crashed.

I think with more work it'll be amazing.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2012, 10:22.

News Comments > etc., etc.
18. Re: etc., etc. Jun 7, 2012, 05:23 CommunistHamster

hjkar wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 01:08:
The cost of making games risen but the prices haven't, contrary to most other industries.
Only due to ludicrously bloated AAA title development. It is still quite possible to make great games with early 2000's sized teams. The increased team sizes add almost no value (except in cases like GTA4, with all the writing).

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
25. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 13:11 CommunistHamster

Jdrez wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 13:03:
Boring? Have you people never heard of immersion? Christ.

It's not scripted, have none of you played GTA? This is essentially a GTA5 competitor. And it looks fantastic.
Different strokes for different folks. What's immersive to you comes across as hollow guff to wade through to others.

It's blatantly mostly scripted, there just happens to be multiple possible scripted outcomes. That's not a bad thing. Deus Ex did the same thing, but doing the same thing as a 12 year old game with better grafix and voice acting is not very impressive.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jun 5, 2012, 11:17 CommunistHamster

Folk can turn up their nose at the merest mention of media content, mainstream franchises and celebrities all they like but this IS the modern video games business. Or more accurately, its PART of the modern video games business.
Yeah, and it sucks, and so does your fluff article conflating "explanations" with "excuses".

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
4. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 11:16 CommunistHamster

Might be cool. Might be chock full of crappy scripted events, QTE's, cover based shooting and push x to win melee combat.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
11. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 10:09 CommunistHamster

Phasenoise wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 09:47:
Exactly. This isn't an ASUS engineer helping to discuss the product and is instead the victim of leering and japes. That would suck.

This is a person selected *for her appearance* to stand next to a product. A model. Someone picked to be alluring and attract people's attention. And in fact, does so. Being offended by such a mild comment complimenting her physique is borderline insanity.

In twitter speak, I think this is #desperatetobeoffendedsomehow.
There's more than one kind of sexism, you know.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 10:06 CommunistHamster

Slowly but surely progress is being made against the sexism in the tech world. Good.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
15. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 05:38 CommunistHamster

We're clearly not post-racism because trivial stuff like this still makes headlines.  

701 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo