Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 581 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Trailer
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Dec 14, 2012, 06:45 peteham

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 00:12:
Why would PC gamers want to play with gamepads? We'd just play in on consoles in that case. We're not console gamers. So no soup for them. Over half way into their 2 months KS - ridiculous in the first place - and just over half the funds? Noooooope. It's not going to happen.
Do you prefer mouse&keyboard? Even during the heyday of the sim genre, the people who actually had a proper HOTAS setups were few and far between. At best, people had a basic joystick with a thumb button and trigger, and 2-4 buttons on the base. A gamepad is no worse than this setup, and is VASTLY better than pure kbd/mouse.

FWIW, I replayed Freespace 2 last year on a dual analog gamepad, and it worked great. With some keyboard supplements, of course. Couldn't be arsed to replace my broken logitech joystick since it's basically been doing nothing but collect dust for the past decade or so anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Hidden Secrets Released For AC3 Season Pass
4. Re: The Hidden Secrets Released For AC3 Season Pass Dec 5, 2012, 09:18 peteham

Been playing this game for a couple of weeks now, and boy is it a mixed bag. Having a serious love/hate relationship with it. Loving the world and atmosphere, it's top-notch stuff. But the core game mechanics can be truly rage-inducing. They spent all this effort building a new engine, but not one iota of effort went towards improving the controls and gameplay-issues that have been with the series since day one. Now actually made worse by more "stuff" in the world. And chimneys. Damn chimneys!

Hell, you basically can't die/fail in this game, except when the game decides to *bleep* you with its horrendously inaccurate controls:

- Stay within distance of target! <Connor runs up a wall and grabs on to a windowsill, promising to never ever let go> N..NO! GET OFF! <Connor reluctantly lets go of windowsill but grabs onto the one directly below instead> *DESYNCHRONIZED*
- Follow Haytham across the rooftops <Connor jumps completely perpendicular to where you wanted to go and falls to his death> *DESYNCHRONIZED*
- Pickpocket target without being detected: Loot! Loot you damn imbecile, loot! NO NOT THE PASSER-BY! THE YELLOW GUY! *DETECTED* *DESYNCHRONIZED*
- Don't fall in the wat... NO! NOT THAT WAY! *splash* *DESYNCHRONIZED*

The list goes on...

Honorary mentions: The trading interface. Did they actively *try* to make it suck? After forcing myself to go through the chore of sending a whopping two naval convoys, I was rewarded with a box saying I was in the top 10% world-wide for convoy-earnings. Apparently, the remaining 90% of players had the brains to ignore the trading-screen completely. Currently planning my future lobotomy.

News Comments > L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition Patch
12. Re: L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition Patch Nov 30, 2012, 03:00 peteham

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:23:
Boringest game ever.
What's this "game" you're talking about?

Worst B-movie ever.

Actually what mainly broke it for me aside from finding the game tedious, were the stupid interrogations. Blah.

News Comments > Telepath Tactics Kickstarter
11. Re: Telepath Tactics Kickstarter Nov 29, 2012, 04:21 peteham

Xil wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 13:57:
I ran across Thorvalla yesterday, that looks like a more promising RPG to me, with Neal Hallford (Betrayal at Krondor) and Guido Henkel (Planescape: Torment and Fallout 2), they asking for a lot which giving the scope of the game sounds realistic.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/thorvalla-an-rpg-by-guido-henkel
Looks somewhat interesting, but with 19 days remaining and not even 50k raised of 1 million goal, it doesn't look as if it's going to make it short of a major earth quake. It's an interesting side of Kickstarter, really.. Get off to a slow start and you're screwed, because only the biggest enthusiasts are going to bother chipping in when a project seems unlikely to reach- or exceed its funding goal.

Meanwhile, it seems like GODUS will make it. A more modest goal than the above, but still, it's surprising to me that people are actually backing that one with Peter Molyneux name being attached to the project.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multiplayer Details
9. Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Nov 11, 2012, 17:38 peteham

shinchan0s wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 17:07:
*Enters some random starbase*

"WTS tachyon cannon iv"
"WHO'S UP FOR RAIDING KILRAH?"
"u want 2 buy credits real cheap"
"stealth fighter lfg omega quadrant"
"looking for repair ship 4 omega"
Oh good gawd, it's my worst nightmare come to life!

Also: LOL

News Comments > BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution Pre-Order Bonus
15. Re: BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution Pre-Order Bonus Oct 23, 2012, 05:52 peteham

Not sure where all the "best of E3" awards came from with this, to be honest. The E3 preview (when they eventually released it) was meh at best, even though it seemingly had the whole gaming press bubbling with excitement. The character interaction was nice though, and it's currently the only reason this title is even a blip on my radar. That whole large open combat scene with the zeppelin and laundry-rails that they showcased seemed downright unappealing to me. Some of it could be down to the fact that the demo guy must have been using some sort of invulnerability cheat (or playing on *stupid* easy) and was just playing the game in a silly way, but I don't know.. In any case, there's no way I'm preordering it, but if reviews/word of mouth warrants it, I'll pick it up and play it for the setting and atmosphere most likely..  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
26. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 05:47 peteham

Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:47:
On the Firaxis forum someone (who may be a developer or just someone talking out their ass) said the patch's size is a function of the way the code is compiled - if you change one line the entire file needs to be downloaded.

I guess it's possible, but I know fuck-all about such things.
Witcher 2 had this problem on Steam. Everything bundled up into one huge pak file of sorts. The first couple of Steam patches basically amounted to redownloading the entire 15GB game, whereas the standalone patch for the GoG version was just a couple of megs.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2012, 11:15 peteham

Dammit, we always get stuff late over here! First XCOM and Dishonored, and now 10/11/12 Bawling  

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
23. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 10, 2012, 12:49 peteham

Guess I'll throw in $40 for now.. Though of all the games I've backed so far, this feels like the biggest gamble, in the sense that this seems equally likely to be either glorious or a giant failure. How many employees at Cloud Imperium Games? Assuming they get funded, will they basically be building a team from scratch while at the same time creating and shipping this very ambitious game?  

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed III UbiWorkshop Edition
11. Re: PC Assassin's Creed III UbiWorkshop Edition Oct 8, 2012, 03:55 peteham

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 21:24:
Yeah, those two were not very good.

I just hope the PC version gets proper support this time around. Not holding my breath.
Yeah, I'm not really seeing where the revolution is. Looks like more of the same to me. And they seem to have dived even further into unenjoyable minigames-land with the whole naval combat schtick. I spent a lot of effort tracking down town criers to avoid the tower defense game in Revelations, but the naval thing seems a bit more mandatory than that. Understandably since they must've put a fair bit of technical effort into making it happen, with the problem being that it just doesn't look like something that would be fun for more than 10 minutes tops

Still, even though the games have sorta declined a bit since AC2, I've enjoyed them all overall, so I'll definitely pick this up at some point, just not at launch.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer
11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 13:07 peteham

Riker wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:57:
It's been torture waiting for this.
Hell, it still is! One more week. Graaargh..

News Comments > More Project Eternity Goals
48. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 4, 2012, 07:29 peteham

For Project Eternity specifically, you can now use PayPal instead of Amazon, but this happens completely outside Kickstarter as their latest update describes:
First things first: our PayPal is now set up and ready to use! If you'd like to back the project using PayPal, you can do from the Project Eternity homepage at Obsidian:

http://eternity.obsidian.net/

Please note that pledges made through PayPal will not show up on our Kickstarter page, though we will count them toward stretch goals at the end of the campaign.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Interview
2. Re: Chris Roberts Interview Oct 2, 2012, 12:56 peteham

I'm getting the sinking feeling this "online component" means it's going to be an MMO of sorts...  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interactive Trailer
30. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Interactive Trailer Sep 30, 2012, 12:32 peteham

So excited, can't wait for 11. October!  

News Comments > Mass Effect Trilogy Announced
12. Re: Mass Effect Trilogy Announced Sep 27, 2012, 04:25 peteham

Most likely, given the timing, the bundle will include the DLC for ME1 and 2, but not 3.

I wonder if there will be any additional improvements. Since I already own the games + the DLC I'm interested in, that would be the only reason for me to grab this. A light cover- and shooting mechanics overhaul for ME1 would be nice, for one. The same goes for the incredibly clunky inventory and tedious loot and weapon mods stuff (made even worse by the aforementioned inventory). I'd really like to replay ME1 for the story stuff at some point, but the overall gameplay is just way off in so many ways I've never been able to get very far in any of my attempts. Plus, the majority of the game is spent doing side-quests that are mind-bogglingly generic and boring.

News Comments > Darksiders II DLC Released
3. Re: Darksiders II DLC Released Sep 26, 2012, 11:16 peteham

Actually I felt the loot system detracted from the game rather than add to it.

I never finished it either.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
12. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 10, 2012, 15:20 peteham

CythrawL wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 15:02:
Dont get me wrong I loved the Wing commander series and Freelancer, but to say nobody makes them as well as Chris does, No... Not by a mile..
In the context of the last decade or so, you might say nobody makes them at all, though, so it's kinda true

Psyched as hell for this reveal. The last addition to the genre was, what, Darkstar One? X3 always seemed far too heavy on the economics/menu side of things for my taste so never got around to playing any of them..

News Comments > On Darksiders II Sales
42. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 9, 2012, 10:59 peteham

I liked the first Darksiders better. Aside from the first one coming out of the blue and this one having some amount of expectation attached, I think most of the reason is the loot system.. Reminds me of Mass Effect 1 in a huge way. There's minimal incentive to go out of your way and find secrets (aside from the fun of doing it for its own sake) because you know that whatever is on the inside will be tuned to your level anyway, meaning any ol' chest you stumble across a couple of levels later will have better stuff.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2012, 11:08.

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
35. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 17:30 peteham

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 17:09:
Like others I have long since lost interest in this project, but as one who has proclaimed publicly that this project was vaporware and would never be released I guess now it's time to admit publicly I was wrong. I may try it one day when its complete if the commmunity says it's worth it, but credit to the team I guess for actually sticking with it after all this time and releasing something.
After eight years, I doubt anyone still remembering it didn't have it at least partially filed under vaporware.

Anyways, I'd be hard pressed to think of a game I'm more nostalgic about than HL1, and where HL:Source was basically just a minimal-effort conversion of the HL1 maps, Black Mesa Source was truly ambitious. It looked amazing back when the initial batch of media was released, and I remember checking the site for updates on a weekly basis back in the day. Of course, I no longer remember enough of the game's original levels and assets to truly appreciate the redesign/improvements they might have done for certain areas, but it should be a fun trip down memory lane none the less.

Oh, and the lack of Xen levels doesn't bother me at all. That was never an enjoyable part of the original game for me, Surface Tension's where it was at!

Edit: Time for some nostalgia music! Black Mesa Inbound, the finest ambient track ever made, for an amazing intro. Still gives me the chills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNoafdG9S4k

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2012, 17:48.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed
8. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:21 peteham

Ref the exp chart on diablofans.com, that's 10,454,400,000 exp from level 1 to 100.:
- 8,167,500 Inferno Dust Imps.
- 6,534,000 Inferno Hulking Phase Beasts.

Let me get right on that. Oh, on second thought, I'll pass.. If there was any doubt this game was being staffed and developed by retards, that doubt is now gone. What a horribly, horribly misguided attempt at making the game fun to play. Just boggles the mind..

+EXP items are gonna be the new MF now, I suppose.

581 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo