Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 590 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2013, 18:26 peteham

Pre-ordered Enemy Within from GMG. 10% off to start with, and 25% off with one of those weekend coupons I've been getting mailed to me once a week lately.

Can't wait! Probably my favorite game of last year. Even breaking my NO PREORDERS-policy. It's more XCOM; what could possibly go wrong?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Daikatana on Steam
30. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 16:34 peteham

Time to dig out this old classic:
http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/fpssurvivar/day4-03.htm

(Superfly joke @ day4-03 through -11)

Man, I'm posting nothing but links to webcomics today.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 TMed
18. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 11:46 peteham

Eating cake and playing with portals.
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130930

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Stealth Video
8. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Stealth Video Aug 14, 2013, 05:39 peteham

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 21:38:
snip rant
A million times this!

Another round of mentions for the crafting system. Awash in the sea of mediocrity that's AC3, it really stands out as something that should have never been included. I've used business reporting software that was less clunky and more fun.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
16. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 30, 2013, 15:57 peteham

Redmask wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 09:46:
Making the camera a separate purchase is the only real "dumb" thing it has done so far, but they felt it was needed to beat Microsoft on price. Right off the bat, I will not be buying one nor will the majority of players - it will be either a failed or an extremely niche accessory. Meanwhile, every single Xbox One game could be designed for camera and microphone functionality, should it be desired.

These serve such little purpose though, it makes more sense as an optional peripheral. Developers probably won't target something that only a single platform can use anyway, I think we're past the Wii gimmick heyday. Most developers probably won't do much beyond supplementary features like talking to your party in Mass Effect or something equally weird that sounds neat in theory but that no one will use. The only decent thing motion control has given us is dance games and making people pay $100 extra for that should just be an optional accessory.
Yeah, the lack of Eye as a standard peripheral could only be a good thing. Less incentive for shoe-horning shitty mandatory gimmicks in there.

Tangentially related, the other day, I was reading about how Human Revolution Director's Cut uses the screen on the WiiU controller. Apparently, when aiming with a scope, the TV turns into a black hole and you have to hold the controller screen up in front of it to aim. How's that for annoying and completely unnecessary gimmick? "OK guys, we have to use it for *something* more than just inventory and maps!".

Meanwhile, back in PS3-land, I was happy to see Suxaxis-usage all but evaporate after the first batch of failed implementations. No more trying to aim grenades, fly or balance across waterfalls using the silly thing, and games were better for it. The only half-decent usage of it during the life of the system (that I can think of from the ones I played) is occasionally having to shake your flashlight back to life in The Last of Us. Worth the hardware/manufacturing cost? Truly adding something to the game? Uh... I don't think so.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
37. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 13, 2013, 10:48 peteham

MattyC wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 07:44:
I don't know, I rather like how skills work. Playing with different combos on the fly (yes, you o lose your NV) is actually one of the things I really like about D3. To me that is way better than a largely locked system like PoE. I just view that as antiquated and boring. Leveling 2 characters of the same class to max just to see the difference in a minor build variation doesn't sound like a game to me. That sounds like work.

Now the loot in D3? Yes that does need work.
Yeah no I agree, I actually ended up liking the ability to switch skills at will in the end. It allows you to change up your build for something more party friendly when playing MP vs alone etc. Though there isn't really much to do here at present. They missed out on tonnes of opportunity to create class/skill synergies here. "Partnering up with a Wizard? Ok I'll go with this" etc. What little is there at the moment seems purely accidental.

What I meant by broken skill system was how all your skills are basically powered by your damage. Combined with almost every single high-powered build out there being based around crit procs to either lower a cooldown or keep a skill running. This results in all classes needing exactly the same gear (+crit, +ias, and +chd), which is why the so-called trifecta gear is so ludicrously expensive (and with drop rates being what they are, almost impossible to find on your own).

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
35. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 13, 2013, 06:00 peteham

Golwar wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 10:05:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 09:29:
Inferno act-II was where I hit the wall. I could either grind for gear that didn't drop for days or go to the AH where anything worthwhile was exorbitant. Maybe that's changed now, but unless I log in and the monsters start spraying useful loot, its going to be hard to keep me interested.

Golwar wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 08:48:
After I didn't touch the game for more than a year, I came back last week ... and stayed. 1.08 is a far better game than 1.05 was. Or was it 1.04?

I first finished Nightmare and Hell with my DH and was prepared to leave the game again when I'd reach Inferno. But I could afford some decent gear and currently do 67k dps and am well protected. I appreciate that I can exactly specify what kind of item I'm looking for. And that I don't have to waste hours, days and weeks to talk to greedy traders. Sorry if that makes me a bad gamer. ;p

Act 2 is where I currently am and that's my character: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Golwar-2180/hero/4385096
I bought every part of the gear within the last 3-4 days, besides the gloves that someone gifted to me. And all I had left from last year was something around 1.5m gold.

Trust me, I have not slightest problems in act 2. Currently I'm bidding on several amulets, next I will aim for a better Manticore with higher average damage and 2 slots. I can rightly say that I currently enjoy D3. No idea for how long this will last though.
Yep, the current game is way better than it was a while back. Inferno difficulty is a lot easier by default than it was, though it can be made much harder with monster power for well-geared players, like /players xyz in Diablo 2 basically. It's a nice way to allow people to progress at the speed they want.

You get ilvl63 items in all acts now, so it's no longer the case that you need to buy items found in act3 off the AH to advance through act2 (especially as a melee char) like it was initially. You also have paragon levels past 60 now, which actually add up to quite a bit of extra survivability and damage after after about 10-20 of them.. Basically, the whole WoW spreadsheet design philosophy of "you need X gear level to do enough damage to kill Y" is now mostly gone, and "how efficiently can I run this route" is back.

The new monster density increase also helped with the fun factor. Nothing like crushing face through one pack of 80 zombies+ in a party, with so many spells and damage numbers going off on screen that nobody can see a thing. And item-wise, there are some easily attainable craftables (hellfire ring and the new account bound craftables) that will give you an instant and significant boost way beyond anything you can hope to find or purchase on the AH within reason (or without resorting to the RMAH).

And yet, items are still inherently broken; the core of any loot oriented ARPG like Diablo. All your stuff still comes from the aforementioned craftables, or AH purchases. Forget about finding stuff yourself for very long, because the drop rates are so ridiculously low it's not even funny. Besides craftables, none of my chars are using anything I've found myself, and I have 3-400 hours in the game since launch... So then your focus becomes farming gold, which is considerably less fun than seeing something good drop at good intervals. The stuff you find, and the stuff you can by, generally falls into the category of dirt cheap or ludicrously expensive, with prices really skyrocketing once you get closer to "Best in Slot" potential. I'm talking at least 100 mill for a single item, with the very best stuff hitting 1-2bill.. Not even the 100 mill range is attainable for a normal player (without resorting to RMAH gold or getting a ridiculously lucky drop that you can sell), so most infermo farmers have to settle for lower-hanging fruit in the 5-20mill range, which is still a considerable amount of cash for any normal player.

In the end, I think the upcoming itemization patch may help, but to truly fix this game they need to completely redesign how skills and gear works, rather than simply iterating on the broken foundation they have now.

News Comments > Serious Sam 4 Revealed for 2014
11. Re: Serious Sam 4 Revealed for 2014 Jun 7, 2013, 09:45 peteham

fujiJuice wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 22:34:
I still don't understand why they haven't added the Hotline Miami soundtrack to the current bundle. Definitely the best one, I hope they eventually do. I know I can get it elsewhere but it would be nice to have it as part of my bundle.
Apparently it's due to licensing issues. If you have the game on Steam though, you can find the ogg files for it under steamapps/common.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 09:42 peteham

"Sorry, you invited too many people to movie night. Kick someone out or purchase a movie theater license to continue playback."

I'm going to go with the patent article being mostly exaggerated speculation in order to score easy clicks for now.. Otherwise, it would be a whole new level of consumer-unfriendly even for a company like MS

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Mar 20, 2013, 11:08 peteham

InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:39:
I cant remember the last time a game felt 'padded' to me. If anything games are becoming abysmaly short on average.
You never played Assassin's Creed 3, I see

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
34. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 14:03 peteham

My Kickstarter-total is getting ridiculous with close to 10 backed games, but no way am I skipping this one. Anyways, if nothing else, following the kickstarter and the updates once it's funded, is fairly enjoyable in and of itself. So even if half the games I've funded turn out to suck (which doesn't seem completely unlikely), it won't be a complete loss.

The great concept art pieces makes me sort of wish they'd make a fully hand-painted 2D-game. But I guess a 3D-pipeline is much faster/cheaper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 15:37 peteham

Someone posted this supposed leaked image of the PS4 version on another forum: http://tinyurl.com/ahhfcyj
Looks like it's going to be a faithful port.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-purchase Unlocks
14. Re: BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-purchase Unlocks Feb 23, 2013, 04:45 peteham

GMG has a similar deal. Though it's 37 euros instead of the 49 on Steam (I assume the digits are exactly the same on the dollar-side of the pond), and you get two free games. Bioshock 1 + *either* Bioshock 2, Mafia 2, The Darkness 2, Civ 5 or Spec Ops: The Line.

If you don't have XCom the Steam deal might still be preferable (assuming it reaches tier3), but the GMG deal is a decent alternative if you already have it.

News Comments > Two Final Mass Effect 3 DLC Packs Announced
15. Re: Two Final Mass Effect 3 DLC Packs Announced Feb 22, 2013, 13:38 peteham

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 12:37:
I still find it funny that they already released a Mass Effect Trilogy compilation and yet are still releasing DLC. One would think that would be like an ultimate compilation. Apparently one would be wrong.
Heck, that trilogy compilation doesn't even have any of the ME2 DLC included. Last time I looked, you'd be better off picking up the games individually.

News Comments > Two Final Mass Effect 3 DLC Packs Announced
11. Re: Two Final Mass Effect 3 DLC Packs Announced Feb 22, 2013, 05:39 peteham

So... Do these things ever go on sale? I was able to pick up all the ME2 SP DLC except Arrival (IIRC) during that sale on Xbox Live during christmas of, er, was it 2010? This is the ONLY Mass Effect DLC sale I know to have ever taken place. Stands to reason I may have missed a couple, but damn, they sure don't happen often..

Originally bought ME1 while it was still a 360 exclusive, so naturally followed up with ME2 on 360 to be able to import savegames. Then eventually came the ability to export Xbox saves to USB + gibbed's savegame editor, which combined with ME1+2 steam sales enabled me to finally switch to PC and transfer all my precious saves in time for ME3. And *yet* more ME2 replays, of course. That is after more than a week of annoying back and forth with EA helpdesk before they finally gave in and transferred my 360 DLC entitlements to PC. This is where I should point out that if they'd done the reasonable thing and just performed the move immediately on request, I would've been a very happy customer. Instead, this left me slightly annoyed but relieved. It's not as if it's unreasonable, hell, it should be the default for everything. I just bought their game twice, and it's the same damn BioWare account, for bleep's sake. Corporation logic applied to customer service, yay. At least they were reasonable in the end, though.

Anyways. I really want to do a ME3 replay at some point WITH all the SP DLC, but given the reviews they've been getting, I'm not eager enough to pay essentially the cost of the full game for them.. Sooo, guess I'll stay on the fence forever and hope I don't miss the train if there's ever another two-day sale at some point

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2013, 05:57.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Feb 21, 2013, 04:52 peteham

Really hope they're busy working on an expansion or sequel for XCom. I want more tech, weapons, abilities/perks and tilesets. Preferably delivered yesterday!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 07:04 peteham

I always hated the suit power/recharge mechanic in Crysis. Cloak, walk 10 steps, crouch behind rock while charging. Rinse, repeat. I always fall straight into this pattern of play with all the Crysis games, and it makes the game flow rather badly. I rather miss Far Cry 1's take on "stealth" which was more about taking the time to compulsively scan tree-lines with the binoculars before moving out.

Definitely on the fence with this one.

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded
5. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 19, 2013, 04:52 peteham

*removed*.. I stupidly seem to have clicked REPLY instead of edit  

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded
4. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 19, 2013, 04:40 peteham

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 23:56:
According to Kicktraq, 2m is nearly a given. If you add the last 3 day boost, paypal payments from Germans (and everyone else who doesn't want or can't use amazon payments...), and the current trend, 2m it is. So much for "Kickstart fatigue" haha I mean this game is as niche as it can get.
I still think Chris Taylor's point stands to some extent, though maybe "fatigue" isn't the right word... Smarts? You absolutely do need a much stronger presentation these days, and preferably a pedigree or existing brand of some sort. That's not saying smaller project or a really novel idea couldn't make it, but I think it's be a while until we see another FTL. For the bigger projects, people being a bit more tight with their cash is probably partially offset by more and more people knowing about kickstarter, though.

As far as Chapters goes, it's a beloved series for a genre that's reasonably hard to come by these days. It's no wonder they raised $500k in about two days; the biggest fans (your's truly included) were ready to jump on that train like a pack of starved monkeys...

I'm not sure this will reach 2 million, kicktraq's projections are really just linear estimates (or was the last time I read up on their projection method, anyway), but one can hope. At least the $1million "Longer Journey" (aka longer game) stretch goal should be in the bank with this many days to go, which is great. I'm sitting at $75 (digital) also. I'm kind of holding off on a possible pledge bump until later in the game, when/if they announce a stretch goal that interests me, and if it seems to be within reach. The next step for all-digital is a whopping $150, and the only added benefit compared to the $75 tier is a postcard and an audio book. I really want to see this happen, but I'm not running a charity here

Also, for the ones who aren't actively following this, here are the video updates that have been released so far.
Video update #1 http://youtu.be/-D5QFHw_Cwc (prototype gameplay)
Video update #2 http://youtu.be/kOJuh98LcQY

Also, the guys will be doing a live playthrough of Dreamfall on Friday which should be a fun way to experience developer commentary, heh. I'll try to tune in for a bit, though I doubt I'll be able to watch the whole thing

</shill :P>

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 04:56.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 3 Patched
18. Re: Assassin's Creed 3 Patched Feb 15, 2013, 18:36 peteham

Watter wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 16:10:
NegaDeath wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 15:51:
I never liked the Desmond stuff. I'm too much of a nerd to get past the idea that they have a machine that lets you perfectly remember and experience what your ancestor had for supper on a Tuesday centuries ago. Blah blah suspension of disbelief yada yada. Its wrong!
I'm totally in that camp as well. I'd have been happier with the series if the Desmond aspect was completely gone. I think it might have even been more compelling to have progressively built up the history and mystery of the templar and assassin factions as the series progress through the ages rather than starting with the contemporary time as they did.
Heh I'm more or less the opposite of that. There were times during Brotherhood and Revelations in particular, where I really wanted to get on with the "now" story rather than going back in the Animus. Sadly, Desmond's screentime wasn't that well handled, and the missions in AC3 were a joke. The Desmond-bits I enjoyed the most through the whole series were really the conversations in AC1, and running around empty Monteriggioni at night in AC2 and Brotherhood. Great atmosphere and music..

As for my ordering of the games, it goes something like this:

AC2
AC2: Brotherhood
AC2: Revelations
AC1
AC3

I know I can't really objectively defend AC3's position behind AC1 there, but yeah, it really felt regressive. The entire game has a certain feel of being made by different ubisoft branches, then crudely stitched together in the name of boxticking. Boxticking also describes the overall gameplay. There is so much filler and so little actual content, it's ridiculous. In many ways it feels like a return to the investigation missions you had to undertake in AC1 before you could go on with the story. But at least AC1 had the benefit of being new, as well as reasonably innovative/fresh when it first came out, even though it fell far short of its potential and original vision. Does anyone remember the early AC1 trailers, that made a big deal about how you could distract guards by throwing a corpse into the street etc? That whole part of the game seems to have disappeared more and more with every game, to the point where in AC3, I just walked through the front door and killed everything, pressing counterattack to win all the way... It didn't help that any time you tried to be sneaky, move around a road block or whatever, the game would slap you in the face with an invisible wall (RETURN TO MISSION AREA!!!!) or STAY IN RANGE OF TARGET!!11 or CONNOR DIDN'T KILL LIVESTOCK. Gah.

Speaking of Connor, he has to be the most boring main characters ever. Whether that's the fault of the writers or the voice actor, I'm not entirely sure. Collaborative effort, perhaps. And as far as the ending goes, it was every bit as lame as Mass Effect's. The only reason one created an uproar and the other didn't, is that at least in AC's case, there was never the expectation of being able to affect anything.

590 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo