Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 580 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
34. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 14:03 peteham

My Kickstarter-total is getting ridiculous with close to 10 backed games, but no way am I skipping this one. Anyways, if nothing else, following the kickstarter and the updates once it's funded, is fairly enjoyable in and of itself. So even if half the games I've funded turn out to suck (which doesn't seem completely unlikely), it won't be a complete loss.

The great concept art pieces makes me sort of wish they'd make a fully hand-painted 2D-game. But I guess a 3D-pipeline is much faster/cheaper.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 15:37 peteham

Someone posted this supposed leaked image of the PS4 version on another forum: http://tinyurl.com/ahhfcyj
Looks like it's going to be a faithful port.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-purchase Unlocks
14. Re: BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-purchase Unlocks Feb 23, 2013, 04:45 peteham

GMG has a similar deal. Though it's 37 euros instead of the 49 on Steam (I assume the digits are exactly the same on the dollar-side of the pond), and you get two free games. Bioshock 1 + *either* Bioshock 2, Mafia 2, The Darkness 2, Civ 5 or Spec Ops: The Line.

If you don't have XCom the Steam deal might still be preferable (assuming it reaches tier3), but the GMG deal is a decent alternative if you already have it.

News Comments > Two Final Mass Effect 3 DLC Packs Announced
15. Re: Two Final Mass Effect 3 DLC Packs Announced Feb 22, 2013, 13:38 peteham

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 12:37:
I still find it funny that they already released a Mass Effect Trilogy compilation and yet are still releasing DLC. One would think that would be like an ultimate compilation. Apparently one would be wrong.
Heck, that trilogy compilation doesn't even have any of the ME2 DLC included. Last time I looked, you'd be better off picking up the games individually.

News Comments > Two Final Mass Effect 3 DLC Packs Announced
11. Re: Two Final Mass Effect 3 DLC Packs Announced Feb 22, 2013, 05:39 peteham

So... Do these things ever go on sale? I was able to pick up all the ME2 SP DLC except Arrival (IIRC) during that sale on Xbox Live during christmas of, er, was it 2010? This is the ONLY Mass Effect DLC sale I know to have ever taken place. Stands to reason I may have missed a couple, but damn, they sure don't happen often..

Originally bought ME1 while it was still a 360 exclusive, so naturally followed up with ME2 on 360 to be able to import savegames. Then eventually came the ability to export Xbox saves to USB + gibbed's savegame editor, which combined with ME1+2 steam sales enabled me to finally switch to PC and transfer all my precious saves in time for ME3. And *yet* more ME2 replays, of course. That is after more than a week of annoying back and forth with EA helpdesk before they finally gave in and transferred my 360 DLC entitlements to PC. This is where I should point out that if they'd done the reasonable thing and just performed the move immediately on request, I would've been a very happy customer. Instead, this left me slightly annoyed but relieved. It's not as if it's unreasonable, hell, it should be the default for everything. I just bought their game twice, and it's the same damn BioWare account, for bleep's sake. Corporation logic applied to customer service, yay. At least they were reasonable in the end, though.

Anyways. I really want to do a ME3 replay at some point WITH all the SP DLC, but given the reviews they've been getting, I'm not eager enough to pay essentially the cost of the full game for them.. Sooo, guess I'll stay on the fence forever and hope I don't miss the train if there's ever another two-day sale at some point

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2013, 05:57.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Feb 21, 2013, 04:52 peteham

Really hope they're busy working on an expansion or sequel for XCom. I want more tech, weapons, abilities/perks and tilesets. Preferably delivered yesterday!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 07:04 peteham

I always hated the suit power/recharge mechanic in Crysis. Cloak, walk 10 steps, crouch behind rock while charging. Rinse, repeat. I always fall straight into this pattern of play with all the Crysis games, and it makes the game flow rather badly. I rather miss Far Cry 1's take on "stealth" which was more about taking the time to compulsively scan tree-lines with the binoculars before moving out.

Definitely on the fence with this one.

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded
5. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 19, 2013, 04:52 peteham

*removed*.. I stupidly seem to have clicked REPLY instead of edit  

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded
4. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 19, 2013, 04:40 peteham

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 23:56:
According to Kicktraq, 2m is nearly a given. If you add the last 3 day boost, paypal payments from Germans (and everyone else who doesn't want or can't use amazon payments...), and the current trend, 2m it is. So much for "Kickstart fatigue" haha I mean this game is as niche as it can get.
I still think Chris Taylor's point stands to some extent, though maybe "fatigue" isn't the right word... Smarts? You absolutely do need a much stronger presentation these days, and preferably a pedigree or existing brand of some sort. That's not saying smaller project or a really novel idea couldn't make it, but I think it's be a while until we see another FTL. For the bigger projects, people being a bit more tight with their cash is probably partially offset by more and more people knowing about kickstarter, though.

As far as Chapters goes, it's a beloved series for a genre that's reasonably hard to come by these days. It's no wonder they raised $500k in about two days; the biggest fans (your's truly included) were ready to jump on that train like a pack of starved monkeys...

I'm not sure this will reach 2 million, kicktraq's projections are really just linear estimates (or was the last time I read up on their projection method, anyway), but one can hope. At least the $1million "Longer Journey" (aka longer game) stretch goal should be in the bank with this many days to go, which is great. I'm sitting at $75 (digital) also. I'm kind of holding off on a possible pledge bump until later in the game, when/if they announce a stretch goal that interests me, and if it seems to be within reach. The next step for all-digital is a whopping $150, and the only added benefit compared to the $75 tier is a postcard and an audio book. I really want to see this happen, but I'm not running a charity here

Also, for the ones who aren't actively following this, here are the video updates that have been released so far.
Video update #1 http://youtu.be/-D5QFHw_Cwc (prototype gameplay)
Video update #2 http://youtu.be/kOJuh98LcQY

Also, the guys will be doing a live playthrough of Dreamfall on Friday which should be a fun way to experience developer commentary, heh. I'll try to tune in for a bit, though I doubt I'll be able to watch the whole thing

</shill :P>

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 04:56.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 3 Patched
18. Re: Assassin's Creed 3 Patched Feb 15, 2013, 18:36 peteham

Watter wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 16:10:
NegaDeath wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 15:51:
I never liked the Desmond stuff. I'm too much of a nerd to get past the idea that they have a machine that lets you perfectly remember and experience what your ancestor had for supper on a Tuesday centuries ago. Blah blah suspension of disbelief yada yada. Its wrong!
I'm totally in that camp as well. I'd have been happier with the series if the Desmond aspect was completely gone. I think it might have even been more compelling to have progressively built up the history and mystery of the templar and assassin factions as the series progress through the ages rather than starting with the contemporary time as they did.
Heh I'm more or less the opposite of that. There were times during Brotherhood and Revelations in particular, where I really wanted to get on with the "now" story rather than going back in the Animus. Sadly, Desmond's screentime wasn't that well handled, and the missions in AC3 were a joke. The Desmond-bits I enjoyed the most through the whole series were really the conversations in AC1, and running around empty Monteriggioni at night in AC2 and Brotherhood. Great atmosphere and music..

As for my ordering of the games, it goes something like this:

AC2
AC2: Brotherhood
AC2: Revelations
AC1
AC3

I know I can't really objectively defend AC3's position behind AC1 there, but yeah, it really felt regressive. The entire game has a certain feel of being made by different ubisoft branches, then crudely stitched together in the name of boxticking. Boxticking also describes the overall gameplay. There is so much filler and so little actual content, it's ridiculous. In many ways it feels like a return to the investigation missions you had to undertake in AC1 before you could go on with the story. But at least AC1 had the benefit of being new, as well as reasonably innovative/fresh when it first came out, even though it fell far short of its potential and original vision. Does anyone remember the early AC1 trailers, that made a big deal about how you could distract guards by throwing a corpse into the street etc? That whole part of the game seems to have disappeared more and more with every game, to the point where in AC3, I just walked through the front door and killed everything, pressing counterattack to win all the way... It didn't help that any time you tried to be sneaky, move around a road block or whatever, the game would slap you in the face with an invisible wall (RETURN TO MISSION AREA!!!!) or STAY IN RANGE OF TARGET!!11 or CONNOR DIDN'T KILL LIVESTOCK. Gah.

Speaking of Connor, he has to be the most boring main characters ever. Whether that's the fault of the writers or the voice actor, I'm not entirely sure. Collaborative effort, perhaps. And as far as the ending goes, it was every bit as lame as Mass Effect's. The only reason one created an uproar and the other didn't, is that at least in AC's case, there was never the expectation of being able to affect anything.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 15, 2013, 11:52 peteham

avianflu wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 11:26:
Perhaps even more important to Nintendo, the wii U is not selling well in Japan either

http://bgr.com/2013/01/11/nintendo-wii-u-sales-analysis-289621/

If it continues, it is not impossible to see the Wii U discontinued in 2014. Lack of 3rd party support is a big red flag.
Hell, they've already committed to delivering a package with hardware that's only barely ahead of its 6+ year old competition in order to keep the total cost of the system manageable, with the silly tablet controller that nobody will ever find a real use for. And once 3rd party titles start to actually use the rumored 8gigs of RAM on the next wave of Sony and Microsoft consoles, it won't be any more serviceable as a port box than the original Wii.

News Comments > Diablo III Community Q&A - Patch Tomorrow
16. Re: Diablo III Community Q&A - Patch Tomorrow Feb 11, 2013, 18:27 peteham

Verno wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 14:59:
I think the kind of fundamental changes people are looking for will only come in an expansion. There's one scheduled for 2014 in that leaked Blizzard thing from last year. Diablo 2 was solid but nowhere near the classic it is considered these days until LOD arrived. I still have some hope.
Very true. In fact, vanilla D2 had a lot in common with D3: No exceptional uniques (so you were chasing fairly boring randomized yellows for the most part, just like D3), runewords didn't exist yet, nor gambling.. And the game was missing the (arguably) best act by far. LOD didn't really add or change much when you try to summarize it like that, but it improved the game tremendously all the same.

So yeah, I'm hopeful too. Though D3exp will have to make some pretty radical changes, starting with the ritual burning of the current item system and the whole game being designed around a global auction house. Every time I've started the game again to check out the new patches lately, I've been reminded of the ridiculous amount of time you're forced to spend in the broken wreck of an AH. And then I quit. And the phat loot, for all the bumps to drop rate, is still virtually non-existent. Oh sure, legendaries do drop, it's just that the chances of actually getting one with good rolls of the required core- and trifecta stats, is damn nigh impossible...

They've been moving in the right direction with recent patches, Paragon Levels (which I were initially highly skeptical of but turned out allright, though it's a bummer it's per-character and not per-account as it actively discourages playing multiple classes for all but the most die-hard nolifers)... At least it gives you something in return for the 20th run in a row without a single worthwhile drop. Then there's the craftables/grindables (hellfire ring + more to come in this patch) to work towards as well I suppose.. But when all is said and done, they're patching holes in the ceiling when they should just clear the rubble and start over. Then again, that would cause massive rage from the people who've invested countless hours and sometimes real money into the current garbage, so their only window for doing that is an expansion pack..

Oh, and dueling/brawling is a joke. I have no idea what took them so long with that. It seems about as balanced and refined as D2, i.e. not at all...

News Comments > Morning Q&As
2. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 11, 2013, 17:58 peteham

Great seeing the kickstarter for Dreamfall Chapters doing so well. It's slowed down a bit since the opening, like usual, but should make the funding goal easily. Hope they get to squeeze in some stretch goals to make the game longer, since they're pretty clear on the current 10 hour mark being a budget issue.

And November 2014 can't come soon enough. Time for that TLJ+DF replay sometime soon, the KS has really put me in the mood

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter
11. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter Feb 9, 2013, 11:38 peteham

Sho wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 23:11:
You should definitely give Dreamfall another try. I had some trouble getting going with it as well (those controls!), but it gets so, so good as it progresses.
Just be prepared for blinding hatred once you reach the tiny handful of combat/stealth sections that they decided to shoe-horn into the game for some unfathomable reason. The fact that it's all over pretty quickly and comprises about 1% of the entire game is the only redeeming part of it...

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter
1. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter Feb 8, 2013, 11:32 peteham

Going to fund the bejeezus out of this one, even though I'm still enraged about Dreamfall's damn cliffhanger-ending.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Gold
2. Re: Tomb Raider Gold Feb 7, 2013, 15:26 peteham

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:19:
Apparently it's now turned into Far Cry Raider with the first three hours being Uncharted.

Which might actually make it a pretty decent game.
Really? Sure sounds a hell of a lot better than the linear QTE-fest it appeared to be the last time I looked at it.

Is it also too much to hope for that it's heavier on the puzzles than the combat? That's one of the things that has never made me able to fully appreciate Uncharted. Just ludicrous amounts of badguys everywhere.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3 Feb 6, 2013, 06:21 peteham

Wetworks wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 06:15:
Quinn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 04:16:
I saw in a trailer that Ellie has her right eye again. That's just a retarded lack of detail which I find unfathomable.

I'm assuming in the future they'll have eye transplants.
"The doctor gave me a pill and I grew a new kidney!"

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3 Feb 6, 2013, 06:19 peteham

Liked the first, the second one not so much. From what I hear, the latest installment features a near-constant barrage of cheap scares, with monsters popping out of closets/vents/the ground/whatever is at hand. For that alone, I'm going to pass on the SP. Gets old so, so fast.

Will probably pick it up for the co-op, eventually.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 6, 2013, 08:46 peteham

I'd consider getting this Windows 8 upgrade for my laptop at this price (mainly for the slightly improved battery life), if it wasn't for the upgrade reportedly requiring the presence of an existing Win7 installation every time you want to do a full system wipe/reinstall. Granted, I'm not doing those nearly as often these days compared to the XP-or-earlier era, but even so. Having to FIRST install Win7 and then running the upgrade installer every single time, is too much hassle. So I'll just stick with 7.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Trailer
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Dec 14, 2012, 06:45 peteham

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 00:12:
Why would PC gamers want to play with gamepads? We'd just play in on consoles in that case. We're not console gamers. So no soup for them. Over half way into their 2 months KS - ridiculous in the first place - and just over half the funds? Noooooope. It's not going to happen.
Do you prefer mouse&keyboard? Even during the heyday of the sim genre, the people who actually had a proper HOTAS setups were few and far between. At best, people had a basic joystick with a thumb button and trigger, and 2-4 buttons on the base. A gamepad is no worse than this setup, and is VASTLY better than pure kbd/mouse.

FWIW, I replayed Freespace 2 last year on a dual analog gamepad, and it worked great. With some keyboard supplements, of course. Couldn't be arsed to replace my broken logitech joystick since it's basically been doing nothing but collect dust for the past decade or so anyway.

580 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo