Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 571 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 3 Patched
18. Re: Assassin's Creed 3 Patched Feb 15, 2013, 18:36 peteham

Watter wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 16:10:
NegaDeath wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 15:51:
I never liked the Desmond stuff. I'm too much of a nerd to get past the idea that they have a machine that lets you perfectly remember and experience what your ancestor had for supper on a Tuesday centuries ago. Blah blah suspension of disbelief yada yada. Its wrong!
I'm totally in that camp as well. I'd have been happier with the series if the Desmond aspect was completely gone. I think it might have even been more compelling to have progressively built up the history and mystery of the templar and assassin factions as the series progress through the ages rather than starting with the contemporary time as they did.
Heh I'm more or less the opposite of that. There were times during Brotherhood and Revelations in particular, where I really wanted to get on with the "now" story rather than going back in the Animus. Sadly, Desmond's screentime wasn't that well handled, and the missions in AC3 were a joke. The Desmond-bits I enjoyed the most through the whole series were really the conversations in AC1, and running around empty Monteriggioni at night in AC2 and Brotherhood. Great atmosphere and music..

As for my ordering of the games, it goes something like this:

AC2
AC2: Brotherhood
AC2: Revelations
AC1
AC3

I know I can't really objectively defend AC3's position behind AC1 there, but yeah, it really felt regressive. The entire game has a certain feel of being made by different ubisoft branches, then crudely stitched together in the name of boxticking. Boxticking also describes the overall gameplay. There is so much filler and so little actual content, it's ridiculous. In many ways it feels like a return to the investigation missions you had to undertake in AC1 before you could go on with the story. But at least AC1 had the benefit of being new, as well as reasonably innovative/fresh when it first came out, even though it fell far short of its potential and original vision. Does anyone remember the early AC1 trailers, that made a big deal about how you could distract guards by throwing a corpse into the street etc? That whole part of the game seems to have disappeared more and more with every game, to the point where in AC3, I just walked through the front door and killed everything, pressing counterattack to win all the way... It didn't help that any time you tried to be sneaky, move around a road block or whatever, the game would slap you in the face with an invisible wall (RETURN TO MISSION AREA!!!!) or STAY IN RANGE OF TARGET!!11 or CONNOR DIDN'T KILL LIVESTOCK. Gah.

Speaking of Connor, he has to be the most boring main characters ever. Whether that's the fault of the writers or the voice actor, I'm not entirely sure. Collaborative effort, perhaps. And as far as the ending goes, it was every bit as lame as Mass Effect's. The only reason one created an uproar and the other didn't, is that at least in AC's case, there was never the expectation of being able to affect anything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 15, 2013, 11:52 peteham

avianflu wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 11:26:
Perhaps even more important to Nintendo, the wii U is not selling well in Japan either

http://bgr.com/2013/01/11/nintendo-wii-u-sales-analysis-289621/

If it continues, it is not impossible to see the Wii U discontinued in 2014. Lack of 3rd party support is a big red flag.
Hell, they've already committed to delivering a package with hardware that's only barely ahead of its 6+ year old competition in order to keep the total cost of the system manageable, with the silly tablet controller that nobody will ever find a real use for. And once 3rd party titles start to actually use the rumored 8gigs of RAM on the next wave of Sony and Microsoft consoles, it won't be any more serviceable as a port box than the original Wii.

News Comments > Diablo III Community Q&A - Patch Tomorrow
16. Re: Diablo III Community Q&A - Patch Tomorrow Feb 11, 2013, 18:27 peteham

Verno wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 14:59:
I think the kind of fundamental changes people are looking for will only come in an expansion. There's one scheduled for 2014 in that leaked Blizzard thing from last year. Diablo 2 was solid but nowhere near the classic it is considered these days until LOD arrived. I still have some hope.
Very true. In fact, vanilla D2 had a lot in common with D3: No exceptional uniques (so you were chasing fairly boring randomized yellows for the most part, just like D3), runewords didn't exist yet, nor gambling.. And the game was missing the (arguably) best act by far. LOD didn't really add or change much when you try to summarize it like that, but it improved the game tremendously all the same.

So yeah, I'm hopeful too. Though D3exp will have to make some pretty radical changes, starting with the ritual burning of the current item system and the whole game being designed around a global auction house. Every time I've started the game again to check out the new patches lately, I've been reminded of the ridiculous amount of time you're forced to spend in the broken wreck of an AH. And then I quit. And the phat loot, for all the bumps to drop rate, is still virtually non-existent. Oh sure, legendaries do drop, it's just that the chances of actually getting one with good rolls of the required core- and trifecta stats, is damn nigh impossible...

They've been moving in the right direction with recent patches, Paragon Levels (which I were initially highly skeptical of but turned out allright, though it's a bummer it's per-character and not per-account as it actively discourages playing multiple classes for all but the most die-hard nolifers)... At least it gives you something in return for the 20th run in a row without a single worthwhile drop. Then there's the craftables/grindables (hellfire ring + more to come in this patch) to work towards as well I suppose.. But when all is said and done, they're patching holes in the ceiling when they should just clear the rubble and start over. Then again, that would cause massive rage from the people who've invested countless hours and sometimes real money into the current garbage, so their only window for doing that is an expansion pack..

Oh, and dueling/brawling is a joke. I have no idea what took them so long with that. It seems about as balanced and refined as D2, i.e. not at all...

News Comments > Morning Q&As
2. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 11, 2013, 17:58 peteham

Great seeing the kickstarter for Dreamfall Chapters doing so well. It's slowed down a bit since the opening, like usual, but should make the funding goal easily. Hope they get to squeeze in some stretch goals to make the game longer, since they're pretty clear on the current 10 hour mark being a budget issue.

And November 2014 can't come soon enough. Time for that TLJ+DF replay sometime soon, the KS has really put me in the mood

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter
11. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter Feb 9, 2013, 11:38 peteham

Sho wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 23:11:
You should definitely give Dreamfall another try. I had some trouble getting going with it as well (those controls!), but it gets so, so good as it progresses.
Just be prepared for blinding hatred once you reach the tiny handful of combat/stealth sections that they decided to shoe-horn into the game for some unfathomable reason. The fact that it's all over pretty quickly and comprises about 1% of the entire game is the only redeeming part of it...

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter
1. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter Feb 8, 2013, 11:32 peteham

Going to fund the bejeezus out of this one, even though I'm still enraged about Dreamfall's damn cliffhanger-ending.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Gold
2. Re: Tomb Raider Gold Feb 7, 2013, 15:26 peteham

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:19:
Apparently it's now turned into Far Cry Raider with the first three hours being Uncharted.

Which might actually make it a pretty decent game.
Really? Sure sounds a hell of a lot better than the linear QTE-fest it appeared to be the last time I looked at it.

Is it also too much to hope for that it's heavier on the puzzles than the combat? That's one of the things that has never made me able to fully appreciate Uncharted. Just ludicrous amounts of badguys everywhere.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3 Feb 6, 2013, 06:21 peteham

Wetworks wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 06:15:
Quinn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 04:16:
I saw in a trailer that Ellie has her right eye again. That's just a retarded lack of detail which I find unfathomable.

I'm assuming in the future they'll have eye transplants.
"The doctor gave me a pill and I grew a new kidney!"

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3 Feb 6, 2013, 06:19 peteham

Liked the first, the second one not so much. From what I hear, the latest installment features a near-constant barrage of cheap scares, with monsters popping out of closets/vents/the ground/whatever is at hand. For that alone, I'm going to pass on the SP. Gets old so, so fast.

Will probably pick it up for the co-op, eventually.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 6, 2013, 08:46 peteham

I'd consider getting this Windows 8 upgrade for my laptop at this price (mainly for the slightly improved battery life), if it wasn't for the upgrade reportedly requiring the presence of an existing Win7 installation every time you want to do a full system wipe/reinstall. Granted, I'm not doing those nearly as often these days compared to the XP-or-earlier era, but even so. Having to FIRST install Win7 and then running the upgrade installer every single time, is too much hassle. So I'll just stick with 7.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Trailer
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Dec 14, 2012, 06:45 peteham

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 00:12:
Why would PC gamers want to play with gamepads? We'd just play in on consoles in that case. We're not console gamers. So no soup for them. Over half way into their 2 months KS - ridiculous in the first place - and just over half the funds? Noooooope. It's not going to happen.
Do you prefer mouse&keyboard? Even during the heyday of the sim genre, the people who actually had a proper HOTAS setups were few and far between. At best, people had a basic joystick with a thumb button and trigger, and 2-4 buttons on the base. A gamepad is no worse than this setup, and is VASTLY better than pure kbd/mouse.

FWIW, I replayed Freespace 2 last year on a dual analog gamepad, and it worked great. With some keyboard supplements, of course. Couldn't be arsed to replace my broken logitech joystick since it's basically been doing nothing but collect dust for the past decade or so anyway.

News Comments > The Hidden Secrets Released For AC3 Season Pass
4. Re: The Hidden Secrets Released For AC3 Season Pass Dec 5, 2012, 09:18 peteham

Been playing this game for a couple of weeks now, and boy is it a mixed bag. Having a serious love/hate relationship with it. Loving the world and atmosphere, it's top-notch stuff. But the core game mechanics can be truly rage-inducing. They spent all this effort building a new engine, but not one iota of effort went towards improving the controls and gameplay-issues that have been with the series since day one. Now actually made worse by more "stuff" in the world. And chimneys. Damn chimneys!

Hell, you basically can't die/fail in this game, except when the game decides to *bleep* you with its horrendously inaccurate controls:

- Stay within distance of target! <Connor runs up a wall and grabs on to a windowsill, promising to never ever let go> N..NO! GET OFF! <Connor reluctantly lets go of windowsill but grabs onto the one directly below instead> *DESYNCHRONIZED*
- Follow Haytham across the rooftops <Connor jumps completely perpendicular to where you wanted to go and falls to his death> *DESYNCHRONIZED*
- Pickpocket target without being detected: Loot! Loot you damn imbecile, loot! NO NOT THE PASSER-BY! THE YELLOW GUY! *DETECTED* *DESYNCHRONIZED*
- Don't fall in the wat... NO! NOT THAT WAY! *splash* *DESYNCHRONIZED*

The list goes on...

Honorary mentions: The trading interface. Did they actively *try* to make it suck? After forcing myself to go through the chore of sending a whopping two naval convoys, I was rewarded with a box saying I was in the top 10% world-wide for convoy-earnings. Apparently, the remaining 90% of players had the brains to ignore the trading-screen completely. Currently planning my future lobotomy.

News Comments > L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition Patch
12. Re: L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition Patch Nov 30, 2012, 03:00 peteham

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:23:
Boringest game ever.
What's this "game" you're talking about?

Worst B-movie ever.

Actually what mainly broke it for me aside from finding the game tedious, were the stupid interrogations. Blah.

News Comments > Telepath Tactics Kickstarter
11. Re: Telepath Tactics Kickstarter Nov 29, 2012, 04:21 peteham

Xil wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 13:57:
I ran across Thorvalla yesterday, that looks like a more promising RPG to me, with Neal Hallford (Betrayal at Krondor) and Guido Henkel (Planescape: Torment and Fallout 2), they asking for a lot which giving the scope of the game sounds realistic.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/thorvalla-an-rpg-by-guido-henkel
Looks somewhat interesting, but with 19 days remaining and not even 50k raised of 1 million goal, it doesn't look as if it's going to make it short of a major earth quake. It's an interesting side of Kickstarter, really.. Get off to a slow start and you're screwed, because only the biggest enthusiasts are going to bother chipping in when a project seems unlikely to reach- or exceed its funding goal.

Meanwhile, it seems like GODUS will make it. A more modest goal than the above, but still, it's surprising to me that people are actually backing that one with Peter Molyneux name being attached to the project.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multiplayer Details
9. Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Nov 11, 2012, 17:38 peteham

shinchan0s wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 17:07:
*Enters some random starbase*

"WTS tachyon cannon iv"
"WHO'S UP FOR RAIDING KILRAH?"
"u want 2 buy credits real cheap"
"stealth fighter lfg omega quadrant"
"looking for repair ship 4 omega"
Oh good gawd, it's my worst nightmare come to life!

Also: LOL

News Comments > BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution Pre-Order Bonus
15. Re: BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution Pre-Order Bonus Oct 23, 2012, 05:52 peteham

Not sure where all the "best of E3" awards came from with this, to be honest. The E3 preview (when they eventually released it) was meh at best, even though it seemingly had the whole gaming press bubbling with excitement. The character interaction was nice though, and it's currently the only reason this title is even a blip on my radar. That whole large open combat scene with the zeppelin and laundry-rails that they showcased seemed downright unappealing to me. Some of it could be down to the fact that the demo guy must have been using some sort of invulnerability cheat (or playing on *stupid* easy) and was just playing the game in a silly way, but I don't know.. In any case, there's no way I'm preordering it, but if reviews/word of mouth warrants it, I'll pick it up and play it for the setting and atmosphere most likely..  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
26. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 05:47 peteham

Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:47:
On the Firaxis forum someone (who may be a developer or just someone talking out their ass) said the patch's size is a function of the way the code is compiled - if you change one line the entire file needs to be downloaded.

I guess it's possible, but I know fuck-all about such things.
Witcher 2 had this problem on Steam. Everything bundled up into one huge pak file of sorts. The first couple of Steam patches basically amounted to redownloading the entire 15GB game, whereas the standalone patch for the GoG version was just a couple of megs.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2012, 11:15 peteham

Dammit, we always get stuff late over here! First XCOM and Dishonored, and now 10/11/12 Bawling  

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
23. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 10, 2012, 12:49 peteham

Guess I'll throw in $40 for now.. Though of all the games I've backed so far, this feels like the biggest gamble, in the sense that this seems equally likely to be either glorious or a giant failure. How many employees at Cloud Imperium Games? Assuming they get funded, will they basically be building a team from scratch while at the same time creating and shipping this very ambitious game?  

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed III UbiWorkshop Edition
11. Re: PC Assassin's Creed III UbiWorkshop Edition Oct 8, 2012, 03:55 peteham

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 21:24:
Yeah, those two were not very good.

I just hope the PC version gets proper support this time around. Not holding my breath.
Yeah, I'm not really seeing where the revolution is. Looks like more of the same to me. And they seem to have dived even further into unenjoyable minigames-land with the whole naval combat schtick. I spent a lot of effort tracking down town criers to avoid the tower defense game in Revelations, but the naval thing seems a bit more mandatory than that. Understandably since they must've put a fair bit of technical effort into making it happen, with the problem being that it just doesn't look like something that would be fun for more than 10 minutes tops

Still, even though the games have sorta declined a bit since AC2, I've enjoyed them all overall, so I'll definitely pick this up at some point, just not at launch.

571 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo