Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 572 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 2 Talk
19. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 Talk Nov 28, 2008, 05:50 peteham

- Platforming that requires skill.
- Combat that requires skill.
Re platforming... Perhaps, as long as they didn't take it too far. I rather enjoyed cruising the rooftops without having to worry about timing jumps/grabs or pressing the correct button every split second. I'd rather see a RPGLite system in there, where you could either opt for parkour/stealth/combat proficiency or a mix, but not all.

Re combat, the dynamics did require a certain amount of timing and finesse. I'd hate to see a street fighter-esque combo-system, which - while being highly skillful - is a genre I can't stand Though I agree combat was a bit on the easy side. Having slightly less sportive guards that didn't patiently await their turn to stab you while having you cornered and outnumbered 15 to 1 would've helped, though.

But yeah, I think I agree on the major points. More emphasis on assassinations and less on slaughtering of city-garrisons. More weight on planning/information gathering itself - not just as a means of "unlocking" the target, would also have been nice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 2 Talk
9. Re: Assassin's Creed 2 Talk Nov 27, 2008, 15:57 peteham

I'm positive the fact that's she's pretty distracted most gamers from seeing how boring AC would turn out to be
Heh, it seems I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed AC a lot. The setting, the atmosphere, music etc. were all great. The core gameplay was also pretty good even if it fell short in more than a few significant ways. I can certainly sympathize with complaints about excessive repetitiveness for one.

Still, I had fun, though the fact that I usually enjoy collector's games didn't exactly hurt. I probably got more fun out of just prowling rooftops looking for flags or templars to assassinate, than performing the silly samey prerequisite tasks in each city. Speaking of that, I think I was able to cleanly assassinate about one guy through the whole game. For the rest, I had to go Rambo because the guards suddenly had spider-sense. Not exactly 100% in line with the title

Plot-wise, I'm not sure how much I'll like a sequel if it doesn't include playing as Altair.. I guess it's a weakness of the base plot that you're not really the guy you play as through the whole game. Desmond's story didn't really strike a note with me... I'm also worried they'll do the usual sequel thing and just add a pile of moves and jumps without any other substance. I.e. patching up some of those gameplay-holes, and I'm not talking about two(?) extra types of tasks like we got in the PC version..

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2008, 15:58.

News Comments > DirectX 11 & Windows 7
4. Re: DirectX 11 & Windows 7 Nov 21, 2008, 10:13 peteham

Users should grow up and realise that shoehorning new things into an antique OS just isn't worth the effort
Agreed.
In addition, MS should work up the balls to jettison a significant amount of old shit, even if it reduces backward-compatibility. I remember a while back when some source-code was leaked, and a quite humorous list of truly WTF-worthy legacy-stuff surfaced. From the looks of things, they'll be struggling with legacy cement-bricks of their own making for decades still.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Nov 19, 2008, 09:27 peteham

NMA review of FO3 was actually pretty good.
As much as I hate admitting to anything coming from NMA being worth reading, yes it was.

I basically agree on all major points made with one or two exceptions. Overall, not a bad game, but it has Bethesda written all over it and could have been so much more. My score so far is about 7/10 or so, and that's being nice.. I really have a hard time understanding all the perfect score reviews. 8/10 I can understand. 9/10 is pushing it, and 10/10 is ridiculous. Did the reviewers play the same game as me? Disclaimer: I'm only about 20 hours in and have barely touched the mainquest yet.

The game reminds me of Oblivion in so many ways. Combat is fairly boring. Your stats or your level don't seem to matter as much as they should, and, eh, it's hard to pinpoint but after a few hours, things start to feel... I don't know.. Bland. It's the exact same kind of boredom kicking in that I remember from Oblivion, which I finished in the end on willpower and general principle, having bought the thing..

Edit: A note on the minigames. Yes, they're really well done. The lock-picking requires a certain amount of finesse to avoid breaking your pin, and the hacking is also about as "accurate" as I imagine you can make that sort of thing. Still, I really hate minigames. After two tries, I just want them gone. Why does every every developer these days seem to think they need to have this junk? What's wrong with a pure skill-check? I've been wanting a auto-hack mod since I hacked my third (out of 20+) terminals in FO3..

Of course, it has nothing on Bioshock's plumbing-game in terms of sheer overwhelming crappyness.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2008, 09:43.

News Comments > On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Customization
12. Re: On Blizzard's Next MMOG and WoW Paid Nov 13, 2008, 14:40 peteham

Feh, if they were really only concerned with people not doing it too often, they could just hand out a yearly replenishing quota..

In any case, I really don't see why they feel a need to justify the fee anyway.. They can do whatever they want - people will either use it, or not. The latter seems unlikely in the case of wow

News Comments > Meet Bill Roper
6. Re: Meet Bill Roper Nov 12, 2008, 04:42 peteham

I feel bad for the people Bill screwed over with Hellgate: London. Remember - this is the guy who was out touring with his band while the game was crashing and burning.
Ah, this again. Don't you think the rag is sufficiently worn out by now? How will the poor people of earth ever recover from the loss of their precious $50? Ropezor! U owes me 4 lyfe!

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2008, 04:43.

News Comments > Gabe Newell on Game Careers
2. Re: Gabe Newell on Game Careers Nov 10, 2008, 11:20 peteham

Heh, reading the reply without the original question, that sounded more like a kick in the groin than a slap, and made me wonder if Gabe was in the middle of his PMS cycle or something.

In the context of the question, though ("Should I lie?"), I can't even see a minor slap in there. Seems like a fairly straight answer to me.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Sells Big
75. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 6, 2008, 16:55 peteham

To each their own. I find the default text size ridiculously large and that bothers me. I like being able to see more than 3 dialogue options at any given time and I don't like scrolling.
Tried this? http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43

Edit: Ah, I see someone else already posted the link. Insufficient privilieges to delete

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 16:56.

News Comments > Sunday Q&A Roundup
4. Re: Sunday Q&A Roundup Nov 3, 2008, 07:16 peteham

I think the FO3 soundtrack turned out fairly well. Better than the forgettable generic-ness of ToB, for instance. There are some memorable tunes in there such as when you emerge from the vault (something I'm sure everyone has seen in a vid by now) and such, but mostly I'm listening to music on the PipBoy as I play..

On the other hand, I also think they should've gone to great lengths in trying to get Mark Morgan again. There's really no substitute for music when it comes to getting the mood just right, and creating a recognizable atmosphere. Though for all I know, they did try and he simply said no. Shame, though. He writes great stuff. I loved the PS:T soundtrack to bits.

Edit: Turns out they didn't. Found this quote in an interview http://www.en.game-ost.ru/articles.php?id=24&action=view :
Mark: Thanks for the kind words, I would love to do that game, but I have not been asked.

Damn you Bethesda! Damn you to Hell! Stab Anyone up for pooling our resources and contracting Mr. Morgan privately?

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2008, 07:28.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Movie
33. Re: Left 4 Dead Movie Nov 2, 2008, 08:58 peteham

so far from what I have read it sounds like the single player mode is just a taster for the "real" multiplayer part of the game. Likely a pass for me
I don't think anyone should get this for the SP, even if they make it playable. Coop is just going to be a hundred times more fun

19. Re: Left 4 Dead Movie Nov 1, 2008, 20:04 peteham

I already had HL2 / Ep1 but I still felt it was great value for money.
Well, obviously so did I since I bought it. My point was that one way to look at it is all these games rolled into one great deal. Another is that many people ended up essentially paying for the same content twice, in some small way.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2008, 20:05.

16. Re: Left 4 Dead Movie Nov 1, 2008, 19:27 peteham

The Orange Box cost me $45 (20) and had 3 games, loads of content and many hours of gaming both by myself in single-player and online.
You're forgetting that pretty much every HL-fan already had one of the games in that box. Gift option? Meh. I still have mine unused - as everyone I know who might be interested in the game and that I'd want to give it to, already has it anyways. I bought it for Ep2, personally. Portal was a very pleasant bonus but not something I'd pay for on its own unless it was priced very aggressively, and TF2 I've never played as I don't much care for online fps..

Online zombie-shooter _tailor_made_ for coop, though? I'd fork over $80 for this if I had to. Gladly. I guess people's perception of value differs

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2008, 19:30.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 1, 2008, 15:17 peteham

Too bad the greedy pigs charge two arms and a leg for 120GB drives, though.. Giving gamers the ability to go with any drive for their PS3s is something Sony should get loads of cred for. They could easily have followed the same greedy proprietary peripheral route as MS. And let's not even talk about Nintendo.

I'll definitely want to replace my 20GB drive now, but I doubt I'll bother until the time of the next RROD comes around and I exchange the whole box for an Elite... You could easily get a standard 500GB drive for what they're asking for the thing, and that stings a little too much in the general principle department.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2008, 15:20.

News Comments > "Mom-Friendly" StarCraft II
8. Re: Oct 30, 2008, 18:13 peteham

Improve your AI, utilize multiple cores, and make units that can think for themselves; let me focus on strategy and orchestrating awesome battles. Telling AA units and repair vehicles to stay behind unit formations is not strategy, it's babysitting. Same goes for having to tell my units what way to face.
Sounds like EndWar might be your thing. I know next to nothing about the game, but from the trailer I watched a while back, it does exactly this. Gives you fairly "general" control of larger units (ie squad 1, advance on objective) but not letting you micromanage..

How well it does it remains to be seen though. Voice control has the potential to suck greatly. At any rate it'll be impossible to play with other people in the house

News Comments > Tomb Raider: Underworld PC Demo for Halloween
5. Re: Tomb Raider: Underworld PC Demo for Halloween Oct 28, 2008, 20:45 peteham

I just tried the 360 demo, I'm not impressed. The puzzle/paths you need to take are a bit confusing at times but the camera drives me nuts. It's hard enough to move around and look at the area but the camera keeps doing what it wants to do rather than what I want to do.
That pretty much kills it for me, then. I really enjoyed Legend, but I can't stand a game where the biggest challenge is making the camera point where you want it to..

News Comments > Fallout 3 Warning
7. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 13:40 peteham

A game developer who actually played games would always allow the option of the game to continue after the main objective is complete.
They actually did include this in Oblivion.

News Comments > Hellgate End Date
1. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 18:01 peteham

I'm sure both remaining players will be grievously disappointed.  

News Comments > Dark Horizon Demo
1. Re: Dark Horizon Demo Oct 24, 2008, 05:51 peteham

Nice. Review-headlines such as "In space, no-one can hear you yawn" coupled with negative word-of-mouth has pushed this far into my backlog for the moment. Now I'll at least be able to get some clue as to whether it's as bad as everyone says. I can almost buy a space-sim as an act of charity given the state of the genre, but not quite..  

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue
42. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 16:46 peteham

If you read the gamespy review for far cry 2 you would have read about this problem and the reason the game got 3.5 out of 5 rating.
Too bad they didn't add a quick-travel system. Aside from the game being vastly improved, we could all enjoy reading rants from elitist pc gamers screaming their lungs off due to their precious game being dumbed down and infected with consolitis.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue
41. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 16:43 peteham

Lowest common denominator. Every dollar they spend on supporting tech that everyone won't benefit from is a dollar that could be in their pocket.
So the reason for PS3/360 touting HD as the main feature would be.... what, exactly? Your argument makes absolutely no sense.
In any case, with the amount of credit you give these silly brainless console zombies, they shouldn't notice 4:3 vs 16:9 issues anyway, right? Better to design for the enlightened crowd that is PC gamers! Pff. Give me a break.

572 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo