Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 578 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2009, 11:36 peteham

Agreed, Tumbler. Take Lost and Damned for example. I'd love to play some more GTA, but I dropped $60 on the main game, and I'm just not going to spend $20 more for that add-on.
Well, this PoP DLC amounts to about three hours of gameplay. Lost and Damned is weighs in at a hefty 10-12, that's more than most full games. To me, both *easily* justify their price tags.

Just played through the PoP epilogue and enjoyed it. They didn't really up the difficulty so much as simply lengthen the stretches between "savepoints" though. So obviously, unless you were one of the few people who like me seemed to like the game you won't find anything appealing here.

Sure, companies like Criterion who do the same amount of extra content for free are awesome, but I had no problems throwing a few bucks at what are essentially mini expansions (or a full expansion in the case of Lost). There's the usual argument that everything would be free if fools like me didn't pay for this kind of thing but let's face it. Neither the PoP DLC nor Lost would likely have been released otherwise - at least not with anything resembling the same level of polish. Those days faded from reality when a single character model/prop started having more polygons and textures than a full level in the Quake-days..

As for your value-example with UT3 and L4D, I don't really get what you mean here. Both titles are available for consoles. Do you mean to suggest that steam is cheap? Heh, maybe unless you live in Europe. I see no point in using it anymore now the retail-channel is actually cheaper 80% of the time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > H.A.W.X Slips a Week
10. Re: H.A.W.X Slips a Week Mar 4, 2009, 18:22 peteham

I just played the demo. I wasn't expecting much but I was totally blown away by how crap it was none the less.

Hopefully the game will tank hard enough to leave a crater. Potential buyers: Run away. Now.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Movie
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Movie Jan 31, 2009, 06:29 peteham

Well, I have to say the engine looks pretty good. But also quite WoW-like.

To quote one of the designers from the vid: "What makes a good quest involving that?"... This being an MMO, the following comes to mind: http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=19

Um. Yeah. Now take your engine, and make me a single player game

News Comments > JoWooD's Good Old Games
11. Re: JoWooD's Good Old Games Jan 28, 2009, 12:15 peteham

I don't know. At this rate, they may have to change their name to OG.com...

Funny sidenote, turns out I nearly reported nin due to my inability to read. "Report" looked a whole lot like "Reply" at a quick glance

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Retrospective
27. Re: Planescape: Torment Retrospective Jan 17, 2009, 21:45 peteham

Simply had to add my rather redundant praise of this game to everyone else's. Quite simply, the best game I've ever played. Too many fond memories and great moments to count, and rose-colored glasses have only made that impression stronger over the years! Probably have around 10 playthroughs under my belt by now. Not a lot compared to some I'm sure, but approximately 10 times more than I give most games

"What can change the nature of a man". Chills.

For anyone who hasn't played this yet but isn't afraid of an enjoyable [big] read, playing a high-int char is an absolute must to get the most out of PS:T. Simply brilliant.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2009, 21:49.

News Comments > Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing
19. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 09:24 peteham

Do it like in Guild Wars
Ah, but then is it really an MMO or just a regular RPG where the lobby is essentially in-game?

Disclaimer: I haven't played Guild Wars so my assumptions on how it works may be a bit off.

News Comments > Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing
16. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 06:31 peteham

I dont know about others, but I always hated overpopulated fantasy MMOs. Theres nothing like a line of people in front of the dungeon, huh?
There's no better catalyst for that epic feel than when you go on your great quest to kill The Great Dragon Blargh or some such, Scourge of The Land! Sure enough, on arrival, there's already five dead dragons on the ground, and a line of adventurers NINE THOUSAAAND!!11 miles long. All awaiting their turn to save the world from the ancient enemy.

I'm curious to see how Bioware will achieve the meaningful impact on story/world thing they've been bragging about for Republic. I frankly can't see how it can be done in an MMO.

News Comments > SWG Character Transfers
5. Re: SWG Character Transfers Jan 13, 2009, 06:12 peteham

Actually, just shy of 50k.

Yeah, it's no WoW, but clearly it's still profitable enough to keep running.
I bet those figures make Funcom salivate

News Comments > On Mass Effect 2
7. Re: On Mass Effect 2 Jan 8, 2009, 12:33 peteham

My biggest bitch about ME was the lack of variety in level/planet design, if they can rectify that then ME2 will be a great game.
That is mine as well. Plus the incredibly unrewarding skill-system, and somewhat mediocre combat. I wish they would've gone for the turn-based/tactical pause-variant that was shown in early preview videos, rather than the slightly butchered FPS-mode, but oh well.
Oh, and I wasn't such a big fan of the dialogue-wheel either

Still, the mainquest was immensely enjoyable, and I loved reading the journal entries on capital ships, battles, other races etc. There's such potential in the Mass Effect universe, that I'm greatly looking forward to number two even though I wasn't overly dazzled by the original.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Postmortem
55. Re: Fallout 3 GOTY? Dec 31, 2008, 11:31 peteham

I think the best moments of F3 where all combat related. I played it in FPS mode because the horrid third person character animations were just hell to watch. And taking on a group of enemies was fun at times. I would reload and replay some areas a few times.
All comparisons with FO1/2 and rants about sucky dialogue aside, my main problem with this game is exactly the combat, arguably the core of gameplay. It just isn't fun. I was hoping that through using SPECIAL, it might be leagues ahead of Oblivion, which was every bit as broken as Morrowind. But no. A few steps forward, perhaps, but not enough to matter.

As an FPS it's terrible. It has horrendously laggy, clunky controls and the same sticky feel we all remember from Oblivion. As an RPG with tactics and stat-choices that make a difference, it fails as well. It's the worst-of-both-worlds to an even larger extent than Mass Effect. At level 17, which is as far as I got, I can't think of a single memorable fight I've had. Tactics? Everything plays out in exactly the same way: See enemy, take your long-range VATS shots at enemy's head (or into the cover in front of you if you're "lucky"), duck behind some rubble as enemy runs straight at you, then unload minigun/shotgun in aforementioned enemy's face at point blank range until he/she/it is gone. Use stims as needed.

Not to say that the game didn't have its moments in the sun so to speak, but they're too few and far between. For an RPG to have zero memorable characters[1], where I'm bored senseless through every second of combat, and where I couldn't for the life of me find the main story-line less than engaging. Well, what's left? MMO-style exploration without the social aspect?

[1] Well, that's not entirely true. I encountered a handful of chars that would've had potential were it not for the familiarly shallow dialog-trees..

News Comments > Fallout 3 Postmortem
5. Re: Fallout 3 GOTY! Dec 30, 2008, 11:13 peteham

people that don't understand how to play an RPG
Oh the irony. FO3 is, at best, RPGLite.

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2008, 11:14.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. of Brand Dilution
46. Re: F.E.A.R. of Brand Dilution Dec 29, 2008, 09:05 peteham

If 'it is likely' how can you know? Episode 2 was the only guaranteed 'safe' item in the pack (since professional reviews are so fickle and marketing-driven these days) a lot of people might have bought it for that alone - I know It was my plan until I tried the TF2 beta and it reignited my faith in MP gaming.
Exactly. I initially had zero interest in either Portal of TF2, but the full box was like, what, $50? With the standalone units priced at something like $30-40, IIRC, this was a no-brainer..

Oh, and for the record, I thought Ep1 was quite good and Ep2, for all its "production values" was utterly boring and on rails like a CoD-game. Now would you kindly pass the crack-pipe?

News Comments > EA's Steam Offerings in EU
9. Re: EA's Steam Offerings in EU Dec 23, 2008, 05:38 peteham

Guess EA couldn't resist the opportunity to receive a cut of the profits from the wonderful new localized currency thing Steam can burn.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 21, 2008, 19:44 peteham

Good Fallout review from the codex. Personally, I've given up ever finishing it. The story is boring. The world feels empty and crowded at the same time, and NPCs have less depth than a shotglass. And the dialogue is so annoyingly terrible, it's nothing short of amazing.. This quote from their conclusion rings especially true to my ears:

If the only thing you care about is having a metric fuckton of something, then it's probably worth getting. But even then, there are far superior products in the form of MMORPGs and games with "unlimited" procedural content.

News Comments > TrackMania 5th Anniversary Movie
1. Re: TrackMania 5th Anniversary Movie Dec 19, 2008, 18:35 peteham

Was I ever in love with the 5 second looping music segment after watching the full trailer....

Fantastic game though. Been playing it on and off since Nations.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2008, 18:41.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 18, 2008, 13:47 peteham

Good grief. I just noticed the new pricing on Steam thanks to their european local currency. I can't help but laugh at this. They've swapped the currencies, but not the digits, so apparently, 1 USD = 1 EUR. Which in my case translates to a 40% or so increase in price. What happened to "cutting out the middleman reduces prices for the customer"? Retail copies are now officially cheaper than steam by a nice margin, and that includes local taxes (ie VAT).. Incredible.

GG Valve. You had a great service going, but L4D now represents the very last penny you'll ever get out of me. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/1e1us

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2008, 13:51.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 18, 2008, 06:02 peteham

Bleszinki guarantees that he will make “a video game movie that doesn’t suck.”.
heheh, sounds like the kind of statement one later comes to regret

News Comments > 2008: The Year in Lists, Part 6
13. Re: 2008: The Year in Lists, Part 6 Dec 15, 2008, 08:13 peteham

And screw Wired. Prince of Persia was a great game from start to finish... I'm tired of gamers and game journalists alike mistaking a loading screen for added challenge. You screw up, you still do stuff over in PoP; you just don't have to load a game to do it, the checkpoints are seamlessly built into the game.
Amen. Well, from start anyway. I'm not done yet
I'm enjoying PoP as well, though the lack of difficulty has little to do with the inability to die. It has to do with the extremely streamlined platforming and simplistic puzzles. It's always very obvious where you have to go and what you have to do.
Very true. The game isn't easy because you can't die. The difference between die&restart or get rescued&restart is pure perception. It's easy because it's usually fairly obvious where to go, and you even have a compass-button. Though I don't find streamlining a bad thing, I think they could've been a bit less lenient with timing requirements required to execute a series of jumps.

The dialog so far has been great as well. Better than a certain sure-to-be-RPG-of-the-year for one

News Comments > Funcom on The Secret World and AoC
3. Re: Funcom on The Secret World and AoC Dec 12, 2008, 10:08 peteham

Never mind these games... get Ragnar Tornquist and his team back to starting work on Dreamfall Chapters. Just finished Dreamfall last night and oh my fucking god, could we get a more "wait until the sequel" ending?
It's that bastard Ragnar! Oh hum, wrong game. Wrong reality.

If they ever get around to making Dreamfall Episodes, I hope they drop that no-good piece of shit combat system they forced into the original. To this day, it still amazes me that nobody at planet Funcom stood up at one of the weekly meetings and said: "Dudes, this sucks too much to ship." I would need all 12 volumes of the Greater Oxford Curse-Words Dictionary to properly express my hatred towards that train-wreck of a system.

Completely out of place considering the game as well, but some genius up in management probably got it into his mind that a few extremely poor action sequences would please action-oriented gamers. Go figure.

In any case, I'm not expecting Chapters any time soon. Funcom seems much too determined in their quest to make more mediocre (at launch, anyway) MMOs.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2008, 10:08.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 11, 2008, 19:17 peteham

I regularly use profiling applications which report in real-time the total % of CPU utilization
Of course, you have a point in that we have no idea what kind of resource they're referring to. But that in itself makes it even more of a ridiculous marketing-metric..

What they're basically saying, then, is that the overall resource utilization in Uncharted 1 is approx 1/3. Or are they talking "potential"? Which is another thing entirely..

Another thing is that, as occam points out in the eurogamer thread, the "all PS3 power" claim is particularly amusing considering this is on their page:
http://www.naughtydog.com/jak1/20Questions.htm (Q: What percent of the PS2&#8217;s power are you using?)

And kxmode: lol Jester

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2008, 19:18.

578 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo