Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 590 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2009, 06:15 peteham

Sure enough he did return to pick up to poop, but the large paper bag and paper plate he used suggested this was not a planned clean-up.
I hate dog-owners who do this. And oh how obvious can you get. I bet he finds the idea of returning to the scene of crime 10 minutes later several times a day, every day of the year, a credible explanation. How wondrously efficient. Luckily, only a minority of dog owners are lazy pigs, or suburban areas would be unpleasant to say the least. Spring is particularly nasty over here, since the snow melting reveals layer upon layer of semi-decomposed doggie-poop accumulated over the winter.. Better watch that step.
Stab

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Riddick DRM
4. Re: On Riddick DRM Apr 16, 2009, 07:55 peteham

Their claim that most people never bump into the limit seems accurate. It's true for most games I've ever bought. I play them once then forget about them.

But for the occasional exception... My personal case in point is Trackmania United, which I was dumb enough to preload from Metaboli and have been playing on and off since it was released in late 2006 (unlike the limit-free retail copy, the Metaboli version had 3 uses or basically installs per key). Three installs per key, and then you must obtain a new set, so the Dark Athena scheme seems to be a slight improvement, but same principle. One install on the laptop and one on the desktop and you have one key left.. And as it turned out, their response times were, er, variable to say the least. I've only had to obtain new keys twice through the years. The first time, it took approx 24 hours. Annoying when you want to play the game NOW, but acceptable. The second time, however? TWO. FRIGGIN. WEEKS. (not to mention several mails)

Once burned, twice shy. I'm not buying a game with limited activations ever again, in spite of assurances. The existence of revoke-tools isn't much of a mitigating factor either. Most likely I will either forget to use it, or not be in a position to.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 08:01.

News Comments > id the "Multiplatform Developer"
5. Re: id the Apr 12, 2009, 14:08 peteham

id has always relied just as much on engine licensing as their actual in-house games. It would be a pretty stupid move to create a PC-only engine at this point, really.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Movie
4. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Movie Apr 2, 2009, 18:17 peteham

"Emissive materials illuminate the scene"...

That scene makes me go THIEF! THIEF!

News Comments > AMD HD 4890 & NVIDIA GTX 275
7. Re: AMD HD 4890 & NVIDIA GTX 275 Apr 2, 2009, 12:38 peteham

I still have an 8800GT as well, damn that card STILL looks great & handles anything I throw at it.
8800-series cards are turning out to be the most long-lived hardware I've owned. My current PC is two years old in a couple of months, but I still see no reason to upgrade anytime soon.. I suspect we have multiplatform-gaming to "thank" for that..

Granted, I can't exactly run stuff at highest settings, but I see nothing on the horizon that's gonna make me want to upgrade any time soon either.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2009, 12:39.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Footage
25. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 14:31 peteham

Not to be the asshole, but considering Mass Effect 1 was a 360 Exclusive and then later released for the PC, how is it any surprise that the 360 is the 'lead sku'?
I thought that my sarcasm was plain, given the context.. It was more of a jab at certain "broken records" around here, IYKWIM

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Footage
1. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 27, 2009, 22:46 peteham

Horrible textures! Worst case of consolitis I've ever seen. Obviously, Xbox360 is the lead SKU.

On a more serious note, the action-footage looks pretty similar to the rather bland combat-experience we were treated to in ME1. I hope it's no more representative of final game quality than the rest of the footage, though. I really want this to be good

News Comments > CryENGINE 3 Movie
35. Re: CryENGINE 3 Movie Mar 24, 2009, 15:24 peteham

It's almost like Crytek is making this engine to spite PC gamers, instead of doing the smart thing and just downscaling the CryEngine2 a bit for consoles.
Clearly, every decision made by a developer/publisher over the last 3-4 years has been just to spite you.

Had CryEngine3 represented a leap similar to CryEngine2, no doubt jaded PC elitists everywhere would be busy pissing and moaning about "shit engine", "system requirements" and my favorite. How Far Cry 2 and even Source look ten times better. Where did you get the info on worse performance than before, by the way?

Granted, the screens presented don't look like much of an improvement from the status quo, and walking out of that tunnel looks rather terrible.. Slightly more gritty/cold as opposed to vibrant and cartoony lighting, perhaps. Some sections of the video look great though, like the brief cut walking through a forest. With that said, perhaps CryEngine 2.5 would've been better, but so far, we don't really have much to go by in terms of what it'll do.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 24 Hour Sale
29. Re: Assassin's Creed 24 Hour Sale Mar 23, 2009, 17:27 peteham

I recommend everyone who's played Assassins Creed, check out this youtube video... I was falling out of my chair with laughter
LOL! Brilliant!

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Details
6. Re: Mass Effect 2 Details Mar 23, 2009, 11:04 peteham

Based on a decade (or two) worth of movie cliches, Shepard's glorious resurrection in one form or another should come as no surprise to anyone, really. I would be more surprised if the guy (or gal) was really dead

All in all, I'm looking forward to this, despite being only medium-happy with the first one. My biggest complaints were the usual: Cut&paste planets, a mostly pointless skill-system, mostly absent gear progression (you'd just find the next tier of stuff once you had the required level), and finally: Mostly boring combat, with a couple of exceptions. Based on the list of features/improvements, this looks promising.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2009, 11:05.

News Comments > BioShock 2 Date & Big Sisters Confirmed
15. Re: BioShock 2 Date & Big Sisters Confirmed Mar 11, 2009, 20:03 peteham

I truly hope they throw the hacking minigame in the trashcan and light that sucker on fire. Yes I know you could just shoot turrets/cams, but hacking was way more efficient in every way, so I always ended up taking that route. Really annoying and constant immersion-breaker.. Certainly won't deter me from playing the sequel, but it's gonna kill a significant amount of my enjoyment.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Research Finds Chimps Can Plan Stock Mar 10, 2009, 08:46 peteham

I should mind my own business
I had a similar experience in a mom & pop store when I spotted a left-over GeForce 6600GT sitting on a shelf priced the same as an 8800GT anywhere else at that time.
Hope nobody ever bought that thing It's borderline attempt of fraud not to remove something that out of date from your shelves, or at the very least update the price accordingly.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2009, 11:36 peteham

Agreed, Tumbler. Take Lost and Damned for example. I'd love to play some more GTA, but I dropped $60 on the main game, and I'm just not going to spend $20 more for that add-on.
Well, this PoP DLC amounts to about three hours of gameplay. Lost and Damned is weighs in at a hefty 10-12, that's more than most full games. To me, both *easily* justify their price tags.

Just played through the PoP epilogue and enjoyed it. They didn't really up the difficulty so much as simply lengthen the stretches between "savepoints" though. So obviously, unless you were one of the few people who like me seemed to like the game you won't find anything appealing here.

Sure, companies like Criterion who do the same amount of extra content for free are awesome, but I had no problems throwing a few bucks at what are essentially mini expansions (or a full expansion in the case of Lost). There's the usual argument that everything would be free if fools like me didn't pay for this kind of thing but let's face it. Neither the PoP DLC nor Lost would likely have been released otherwise - at least not with anything resembling the same level of polish. Those days faded from reality when a single character model/prop started having more polygons and textures than a full level in the Quake-days..

As for your value-example with UT3 and L4D, I don't really get what you mean here. Both titles are available for consoles. Do you mean to suggest that steam is cheap? Heh, maybe unless you live in Europe. I see no point in using it anymore now the retail-channel is actually cheaper 80% of the time.

News Comments > H.A.W.X Slips a Week
10. Re: H.A.W.X Slips a Week Mar 4, 2009, 18:22 peteham

I just played the demo. I wasn't expecting much but I was totally blown away by how crap it was none the less.

Hopefully the game will tank hard enough to leave a crater. Potential buyers: Run away. Now.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Movie
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Movie Jan 31, 2009, 06:29 peteham

Well, I have to say the engine looks pretty good. But also quite WoW-like.

To quote one of the designers from the vid: "What makes a good quest involving that?"... This being an MMO, the following comes to mind: http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=19

Um. Yeah. Now take your engine, and make me a single player game

News Comments > JoWooD's Good Old Games
11. Re: JoWooD's Good Old Games Jan 28, 2009, 12:15 peteham

I don't know. At this rate, they may have to change their name to OG.com...

Funny sidenote, turns out I nearly reported nin due to my inability to read. "Report" looked a whole lot like "Reply" at a quick glance

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Retrospective
27. Re: Planescape: Torment Retrospective Jan 17, 2009, 21:45 peteham

Simply had to add my rather redundant praise of this game to everyone else's. Quite simply, the best game I've ever played. Too many fond memories and great moments to count, and rose-colored glasses have only made that impression stronger over the years! Probably have around 10 playthroughs under my belt by now. Not a lot compared to some I'm sure, but approximately 10 times more than I give most games

"What can change the nature of a man". Chills.

For anyone who hasn't played this yet but isn't afraid of an enjoyable [big] read, playing a high-int char is an absolute must to get the most out of PS:T. Simply brilliant.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2009, 21:49.

News Comments > Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing
19. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 09:24 peteham

Do it like in Guild Wars
Ah, but then is it really an MMO or just a regular RPG where the lobby is essentially in-game?

Disclaimer: I haven't played Guild Wars so my assumptions on how it works may be a bit off.

News Comments > Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing
16. Re: Half of Age of Conan Servers Closing Jan 13, 2009, 06:31 peteham

I dont know about others, but I always hated overpopulated fantasy MMOs. Theres nothing like a line of people in front of the dungeon, huh?
There's no better catalyst for that epic feel than when you go on your great quest to kill The Great Dragon Blargh or some such, Scourge of The Land! Sure enough, on arrival, there's already five dead dragons on the ground, and a line of adventurers NINE THOUSAAAND!!11 miles long. All awaiting their turn to save the world from the ancient enemy.

I'm curious to see how Bioware will achieve the meaningful impact on story/world thing they've been bragging about for Republic. I frankly can't see how it can be done in an MMO.

News Comments > SWG Character Transfers
5. Re: SWG Character Transfers Jan 13, 2009, 06:12 peteham

Actually, just shy of 50k.

Yeah, it's no WoW, but clearly it's still profitable enough to keep running.
I bet those figures make Funcom salivate

590 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo