Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 578 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jul 2, 2009, 12:32 peteham

Goddamn it, the lengths sites will go to, to get hits!
Yeah. A cliffhanger for an editorial, wtf?
Was pretty much expecting a hardcore WOW-player's rant when I saw the headline/summary, but it turned out to be an interesting read. It still depends on his conclusion, though. To be continued

He does bring up some interesting points, and apparently has a fair amount of MMO experience. I was once a casual WoW player myself, and his observations seem correct to me. Can't remember any patches where they really introduced anything of substance aside from raid dungeons. Perhaps a new battleground once in a great while. In any case, loads of effort spent for the minority that raids regularly. Even though these people probably constitute their subscriber backbone, the amount of effort leveled at them seems a little bit disproportionate.

On that note, I hear that Lich King (which I haven't played) has introduced an easy-mode for raid dungeons. Sounded like a good thing to me; at last I would've been able to see some places I'd only heard of previously. My semi-hardcore buddy did not agree, though, and I can sort of see that angle as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WoW Faction Switching Plans
14. Re: WoW Faction Switching Planned Jun 30, 2009, 07:04 peteham

people paying them for the privilege to grind factions for months again at $15 a month.
I assumed faction rep, along with attunements and all that other fun stuff was included in the "roughly equivalent" bit. Otherwise it doesn't really make much sense. May as well roll a new char since time spent leveling is probably dwarfed by faction grinding and various other prereqs

@Drayth: LOL! The saddest part is, you're not even exaggerating

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2009, 07:18.

News Comments > On Trine Pricing
15. Re: On Trine Pricing Jun 29, 2009, 18:35 peteham

Selling the PS3 version for 20 bucks and the PC version for 40 is just plain bullshit.
could only think of one reason, and that's if sony is subsidizing it. Doesn't seem likely though. While I can see this title becoming wildly successful, it's not exactly Lost&Damned in terms of high profile..

I also have to agree about 40 USD being too high.. They cross that psychological threshold of what people simply will not pay for an indie title going that high. Will probably do nothing but hurt their initial sales.

News Comments > Trine Pre-purchase Bonus
9. Re: Trine Pre-purchase Bonus Jun 28, 2009, 04:52 peteham

It's weird to hear someone say that about a side scrolling platformer. I believe a controller is ideal for it.
For sure My initial thought was the same, but as Jerykk says, so much revolves around using the cursor to draw or aim the grappling hook/bow/shield elevation.

I didn't actually try the demo with a gamepad though, so I don't really know how that works, but I would guess it's a directional thing there rather than a cursor?

By the by, the Steam Shadowgrounds offer isn't a bad deal unless you already have it like me. I thought it was a fun little game back when I played it, in spite of being a little rough around the edges productionvalue-wise..

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2009, 05:59.

News Comments > Trine Pre-purchase Bonus
6. Re: Trine Pre-purchase Bonus Jun 27, 2009, 10:08 peteham

I seem to recall someone saying about 5-7 hours of gameplay. Also some mention of potential DLC, but you can never count on that.

Still, the demo showed huge promise and I have no problems with the price even considering I don't care about Shadowgrounds at all. I do still have problems with accepting 1USD = 1EUR on Steam, however, so I'll get this somewhere else if possible. Or otherwise not at all XBLA is sadly not an option as the mouse+keyboard is going to be the best way to play it.

Edit: Forum does not like the euro-symbol

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2009, 10:20.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Squirrel Saga Jun 19, 2009, 05:35 peteham

If you want to entertain yourself AND avoid feeding the squirrels, might I suggest
Or perhaps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb7KReY6Eg&feature=related

A bit cruel, I know

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2009, 05:38.

News Comments > Dante's Inferno Protest Faked
12. Re: Dante's Inferno Protest Faked Jun 5, 2009, 12:37 peteham

Why hire actors when all you need is a bit of hot coffee to get the real deal for free?  

News Comments > Metal Gear Solid: Rising on PC
16. Re: Metal Gear Solid: Rising on PC Jun 5, 2009, 04:18 peteham

Uh, is anyone actually wondering about that? Crytek wants to maximize profits, same reason that any publisher or developer makes a multiplatform game.
Welcome to the real world.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II Trailer
15. Re: Assassin's Creed II Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 13:52 peteham

And? Some of us would rather do without the keyboard acrobatics, I found the system to be elegant in its simplicity, as well as exciting. The level of freedom it gave you was refreshing.
Agreed. I'd rather not the game be about timing jumps or remembering to press a button to grab ledges... Like the badass assassin you are, you should be able to use the rooftops as easily as normal people walk the streets.

Again, I found it refreshing. If I'm such a badass assassin, then I ought to be able to beat the ever-loving crap out of normal, run-of-the-mill guards with ease. I don't want keyboard calistenics that make me get killed by a kid with a stick because I didn't hit the 5 button macro just right. That's too damn much like work for me.
Again agreed, though I also agree with Jerykk that just holding block was too easy and that for all the later guards, it was ALL about counter attacking. Some additional combos and a more timing oriented way of blocking might not have been so bad.

The main flaws of the game in my view were the repetitiveness, the fact that stealth kills are completely impossible, and that there simply was no planning involved at all. The best you can do (or at least that I was able to) is nail the target without killing any guards [first]. And then, the usual escape..

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 13:53.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Announced
73. Re: Crysis 2 Announced Jun 2, 2009, 07:03 peteham

But I really get shivers when I read that its being done for consoles aswell. Thats not a good omen. Crysis was pretty simple already... if its getting even simpler (and shorter) because of consoles, then they can kiss my ass.
Yeah. My main worry is level-size. The best Crysis/Far Cry levels were the open ones that gave you plenty of room to roam and approach objectives from slightly different angles etc. I hope memory limitations on current consoles won't turn the game into an even more linear trek through through narrow canyons, along beaches cordoned off from the world by steep hills etc.

72. Re: Crysis 2 Announced Jun 2, 2009, 06:48 peteham

Crytek please don't put in a VTOL level in unless you get the controls right. Good god did that level suck...
QFT. I failed that multiple times because of something as stupid as lost altitude

In general I'm not that fond of any kind of sequence where you're locked into a vehicle like some sort of poorly conceived minigame. Something the VTOL level was a perfect example of. The massive tank battle on that huge open field/slope in the original Crysis was vehicles used properly (Come to think, that section is way up on my list of all-time favorite gaming moments.)

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II Trailer
9. Re: Assassin's Creed II Trailer Jun 1, 2009, 18:50 peteham

Then I can just watch cool things happen without repeatedly mashing a button the whole time. Somehow I doubt that the sequel will fix any of the major issues that the first one had, including the horrible interface, ridiculously repetitive gameplay and broken combat.
Huh? If anything, the major complaint is that you can just hold one button the whole time and have the platforming done for you. I played through the game and I can't recall a single annoyance with regards to the interface either. Ridiculously repetitive gameplay is spot on, though.

58. Re: Crysis 2 Announced Jun 1, 2009, 18:18 peteham

No, but at least it adds a degree of difficulty
I also find it forces a particular playstyle on higher difficulties. I always end up advancing VERY slowly, scanning treelines for bits of enemy poking out so I can snipe them. I remember doing a crapload of this in In Far Cry, for instance. Miss ONE dude in 20 behind a bush for advancing too fast in Far Cry, just one, and your health would take a major hit. If there was an even remotely challenging section after that (say, a whole camp full of mercenaries and some sniper-towers), this basically means restart from last checkpoint or reload.

This type of things can lead to some tense moments, sure, but most of the time I'll just reload my last save and be done with it. I'm not really that fond of the reload-button, and getting past stuff by way of die-repeat-die-repeat ain't my idea of a good time. I haven't had the patience for dying repeatedly since pre-puberty Regenerating health may be forgiving when it comes to small mistakes, sure, but it partially lets you learn encounters as you go, and there are other ways of adding difficulty. Finally, it lets you play more aggressively which in my opinion is more fun most of the time. YMMV, I guess.

As for managing your health, unless you're replaying the game you have no way of knowing what's coming next and how plentiful healthpacks are gonna be, so there isn't really much of a tactical element to it at all.

48. Re: Crysis 2 Announced Jun 1, 2009, 14:23 peteham

Regenerative health isn't a console thing, its a lazy developer thing. They don't want to balance their levels with health packs, that is it.
I agree it's not a console thing. I disagree it's a lazy dev thing. For certain types of FPS'es, namely the more run&gun-oriented type (CoD, Halo, Crysis etc.), regenerating health works very well. It's not about tension and surviving on a very limited diet of health nd ammo. It's about blowing stuff up in a string of small battles and being awesomely overpowered. In fact, the localized resources-aspect of both health and guns/ammo is one of my favorite things about Halo.

Of course regenerating health doesn't work at all for the more survival/resource-scrounge oriented games. I disagree this makes it as universally horrible as certain people here seem to believe, though.

News Comments > Tim Sweeney Interview
9. Re: Tim Sweeney Interview May 27, 2009, 09:43 peteham

What do you expect him to do? Release a high end game for the PC and then have noone buy it like Crysis?

The man runs a business, not a fucking charity.
What you fail to grasp, my good man, is this: I bought a copy of Jazz Jackrabbit decades ago, for a handful of bucks, so I'm entitled to a lifetime of support and subservience. Not just from Epic, but the _whole_ gaming industry! They wouldn't even fucking exist if it wasn't for me and my financial muscle.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2009, 09:49.

News Comments > 3D Realms "Not Closing"
29. Re: 3D Realms May 19, 2009, 07:15 peteham

This has been noted before but it bears repeating. If ever you needed good examples of "fanboy" and "delusional", head over to the 3DR forums.
Spurred by curiousity, I stumbled across this particularly humorous case of over-analysis by a 12 year old in response to "are saddened to confirm that we let the Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) development team go on May 6th, while we regroup as a company,"
OMFG how bind are you people?
Can't any of you see the play on words in that text JESUS CHRIST!!!
They said they have let go the DNF team WHILE they regroup as a company!
This means that after they are done regrouping they are going to hire them back!
Then fanboi #2 comes along:
This somehow makes sense. It also relates to the reason all the developers were smiling in that Goodbye pic
Good stuff! And yes, it's pretty clear given the context that this guy isn't going for sarcasm

Some people need their religion, and whether that's Duke, Playstation 3 or Jesus doesn't seem to matter much.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2009, 07:18.

News Comments > BioShock 2 Movie
25. Re: BioShock 2 Movie May 15, 2009, 05:09 peteham

Though, as an aside, what is your personal threshold of what constitutes piracy? The act of making the entire game freely available? Downloading cracks that bypass DRM?
I realize the question wasn't directed at me, but I found it interesting enough to answer anyway I never bypass DRM myself. Instead, I bypass the entire game when the DRM is too annoying. That basically means limited installs; I can live with online activations as a necessary evil and to be honest, I've never had a problem with it. Back to DRM bypassing however, I guess I don't really consider it piracy so long as you legally purchased the game and it's not with the intent of distribution. I suspect the law would disagree though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2009, 07:42 peteham

Ugh, is the plot centered on timetravel or is it just that it creates an alternate timeline within the ST universe? (been trying to avoid too many spoilers)
Think I'll catch the DVD on this one...

This comment was edited on May 12, 2009, 09:17.

News Comments > 3D Realms Closing?
15. Re: The reason why 3dRealms closed down May 7, 2009, 09:09 peteham

I suppose the reply of "It's not a marketing thing" is derived from all of the "marketing" George Broussard has been spewing over the years. It seems like an immediate disarm for those skeptical of anything said by people within 3D Realms.
To be fair, spewing marketing is kind of what his job is about, though he took it to ridiculous levels on occasion. How many times were we given the impression that the game was "just around the corner" or some such? I hear he's up for the position of Iraqi Minister of Information next... Rolleyes

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black May 7, 2009, 04:32 peteham

NoooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOO!! no no nO no fucking bull shit, how can this news be true? R.I.P. Duke
Yeah, you look as surprised as I am

This comment was edited on May 7, 2009, 04:51.

578 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo