Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 567 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > The Force Unleashed on PCs
1. Re: The Force Unleashed on PCs Jul 25, 2009, 11:05 peteham

Well gee, what happened to the whole $4k PC argument? http://www.forceunleashed.net/news/why-force-unleashed-is-not-on-pc/

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2009, 11:06.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On the Warcraft Screenplay
12. Re: On the Warcraft Screenplay Jul 23, 2009, 16:46 peteham

As long as PC is the lead-SKU.  

News Comments > Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG
13. Re: Other Shoe Drops on Aliens RPG Jul 16, 2009, 07:15 peteham

I don't really see how an Aliens RPG would work either unless it was more of a survival/horror game with RPG elements like System Shock 2.
I haven't followed this so I don't know the direction they were headed before it was canned, but I think there was lots of potential for a fun RPG in the Alien-universe. Dealing with shady corporate types (or being one yourself). Finding artifacts on distant planets. Questionable ethics & experiments, sending people on suicide missions (or going yourself) and all that fun stuff. With some imminent invasion or infestation as the requisite mainquest of course. There was plenty of surrounding mostly unexplored lore they could've delved into/invented.

Though I agree a survival/horror-game with RPG elements would've been the more likely result. "You are stuck on a planet and must find a way off" seems the likely scenario. In fact, some minor stat-system and weapons upgrade overlay seems almost sufficient to warrant the RPG-tag these days..

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2009, 07:18.

News Comments > MechWarrior Movie
41. Re: MechWarrior Movie Jul 10, 2009, 06:32 peteham

Watching this reminded me of the opening scene of Mechwarrior 2.
Nostalgia! Wanted to get a Sidewinder 3DPro for this game, but couldn't really afford one at the time.

I wonder if the music will be as good for the new one. I still have some MP3s from MW2 that I ripped from the game CD around here somewhere.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II Diary Movie
4. Re: Assassin's Creed II Diary Movie Jul 9, 2009, 06:20 peteham

I love the "Historian" they hired.
Haha yep, this type of stuff is nothing but media-fodder. His pay probably comes out of the marketing budget Edit: That's not to belittle the job the guy is doing or anything, but truly, how much of an impact could a historian possibly have on the overall project?

I remember the pre-release hype of the first Creed. "Our towns are based on historic documents from the period of the crusades!". No doubt meant to evoke images of leveldesigners meticulously copying age-old papyrus scrolls with original maps anno 1191. In reality it probably means they dug up a handful of sketches of old buildings and landmarks and winged it from there.

That said, I actually enjoyed the first game, but I'm not sure I like the looks of this new one. Gadgetry is one of my least favorite things about sequels. "The original has 5 weapons. This will have 50, which is ten times more BETTER!".

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2009, 07:32.

News Comments > Tales of Monkey Island Demo
2. Re: Tales of Monkey Island Demo Jul 9, 2009, 05:47 peteham

I was hoping there would be a little sword play with insults in the demo, there was a great opportunity for it at one point.
I bet this will be in one of the coming episodes, assuming it's missing from the first. I'll take the demo for a spin this weekend, but will likely wait until all the episodes are out before playing the whole thing.

In any case, I'm getting the impression, from comments and reviews, that they apparently avoided the pitfall of throwing old references around at every turn like so much candy... This is good, because it would've gotten annoying really fast, for old and new Monkey Island-fans alike.

News Comments > Frozenbyte: Trine Pricing "A Big Mess"
5. Re: Frozenbyte: Trine Pricing Jul 4, 2009, 15:11 peteham

Just finished the game. I think it took me somewhere around 6 hours total, with about 80% completion If you go for 100% completion in terms of exp/secrets, you're probably looking at 12 or so, because a few of the last few items can be quite well hidden. I have to say it was quite enjoyable, but the puzzles were generally too easy. Was never stuck for more than half a minute. Also, a certain power (floating pyramid) attained about 60% through made every obstacle from that point even easier. Could just levitate your wizard everywhere or use it with the rogues grappling hook.

So, not as good as Braid where I had to really think a couple of times. This was more straight-forward crate-stacking/bridge building. The game didn't really succeed in building the difficulty of puzzles that much. It was mostly about stacking more crates than before etc. but no really new concepts introduced.

Still, very good game. Beautiful art style, great music and atmosphere and fun gameplay, even if there's a lot of untapped potential. Money well spent

News Comments > Phantom Lapboard Update
8. Re: Phantom Lapboard Update Jul 3, 2009, 06:21 peteham

How anyone could be so dumb as to give these guys donations boggles the mind. Oh well, fools and their money.
Probably the same sort of desperation you'll find in gambling addicts who've bet more than they have and dig themselves ever deeper.. Just ONE more hand and I'll win it all BACK!

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: fundamental problems in WoW article Jul 3, 2009, 04:41 peteham

WoW is committing suicide, but it's not because of raids and battlegrounds... it's because Blizzard is getting progressively lazy with their content (just look at their just released preview of the upcoming T9 armor sets; all cloth sets look the same, all plate sets the same etc.)
Heh, this is exactly the sort of thing I WAS expecting from that article.

Regarding T9 sets and how they look, what percentage of the player base do you think will ever obtain most of those items? My guess is very small, less than 10%. While I was still playing the game, the bulk of which was pre-TBC, there was at at most 2-3 guilds per faction doing the latest stuff. BWL accessible? Only the top guilds were able to progress there in the beginning. You know, the ones with members who could dedicate entire evenings to progression, week after week. AQ made this even more pronounced, with ever mounting repair costs and potion-farming taking up even more time. The large majority will never see this content until it's nerfed into oblivion.

To me, blizzard trying to open up some of the stuff, making it playable by a larger potion of the player-base, is unquestionably a good thing. Just as making both raids and instances shorter time-wise for TBC was a good thing. Of course, the hardcore raiders always piss and moan about carebears and easy-mode. Naturally, I have no problem seeing that if someone has spent twice the amount of time on something, they should be rewarded accordingly, but what's so bad about some not-so-hardcore players getting to finally see the insides of Nax etc.? To you this may be recycled content but to most players it isn't. Slightly inferior drops also seems like a good trade-off to me.
and is trying too hard to make end-game appeal to ALL castes of players, instead of catering to the hardcores that made the game popular in the first place.
Cue the requisite hardcores-made-this-game-what-it-is line.

In any case, I think the whole "Blizzard is killing WoW" argument is crap. It certainly doesn't look as if they're struggling to me, at least not any more than they should with a framework that's starting to show considerable age. They could probably lose half their subscribers and still be the biggest MMO out there. And unless everyone suddenly quits overnight, which seems unlikely, they'll have plenty of time to downsize as needed when the recession eventually starts to occur. WOW will go on and be sustainable for at least as long as EQ if Blizzard decides to keep it on life-support. Though of course, for the final hold-outs, they will have to change their direction somewhat but as of right NOW, I don't think the most significant part of their revenue-stream comes from hardcores..

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2009, 05:18.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jul 2, 2009, 12:32 peteham

Goddamn it, the lengths sites will go to, to get hits!
Yeah. A cliffhanger for an editorial, wtf?
Was pretty much expecting a hardcore WOW-player's rant when I saw the headline/summary, but it turned out to be an interesting read. It still depends on his conclusion, though. To be continued

He does bring up some interesting points, and apparently has a fair amount of MMO experience. I was once a casual WoW player myself, and his observations seem correct to me. Can't remember any patches where they really introduced anything of substance aside from raid dungeons. Perhaps a new battleground once in a great while. In any case, loads of effort spent for the minority that raids regularly. Even though these people probably constitute their subscriber backbone, the amount of effort leveled at them seems a little bit disproportionate.

On that note, I hear that Lich King (which I haven't played) has introduced an easy-mode for raid dungeons. Sounded like a good thing to me; at last I would've been able to see some places I'd only heard of previously. My semi-hardcore buddy did not agree, though, and I can sort of see that angle as well.

News Comments > WoW Faction Switching Plans
14. Re: WoW Faction Switching Planned Jun 30, 2009, 07:04 peteham

people paying them for the privilege to grind factions for months again at $15 a month.
I assumed faction rep, along with attunements and all that other fun stuff was included in the "roughly equivalent" bit. Otherwise it doesn't really make much sense. May as well roll a new char since time spent leveling is probably dwarfed by faction grinding and various other prereqs

@Drayth: LOL! The saddest part is, you're not even exaggerating

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2009, 07:18.

News Comments > On Trine Pricing
15. Re: On Trine Pricing Jun 29, 2009, 18:35 peteham

Selling the PS3 version for 20 bucks and the PC version for 40 is just plain bullshit.
could only think of one reason, and that's if sony is subsidizing it. Doesn't seem likely though. While I can see this title becoming wildly successful, it's not exactly Lost&Damned in terms of high profile..

I also have to agree about 40 USD being too high.. They cross that psychological threshold of what people simply will not pay for an indie title going that high. Will probably do nothing but hurt their initial sales.

News Comments > Trine Pre-purchase Bonus
9. Re: Trine Pre-purchase Bonus Jun 28, 2009, 04:52 peteham

It's weird to hear someone say that about a side scrolling platformer. I believe a controller is ideal for it.
For sure My initial thought was the same, but as Jerykk says, so much revolves around using the cursor to draw or aim the grappling hook/bow/shield elevation.

I didn't actually try the demo with a gamepad though, so I don't really know how that works, but I would guess it's a directional thing there rather than a cursor?

By the by, the Steam Shadowgrounds offer isn't a bad deal unless you already have it like me. I thought it was a fun little game back when I played it, in spite of being a little rough around the edges productionvalue-wise..

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2009, 05:59.

News Comments > Trine Pre-purchase Bonus
6. Re: Trine Pre-purchase Bonus Jun 27, 2009, 10:08 peteham

I seem to recall someone saying about 5-7 hours of gameplay. Also some mention of potential DLC, but you can never count on that.

Still, the demo showed huge promise and I have no problems with the price even considering I don't care about Shadowgrounds at all. I do still have problems with accepting 1USD = 1EUR on Steam, however, so I'll get this somewhere else if possible. Or otherwise not at all XBLA is sadly not an option as the mouse+keyboard is going to be the best way to play it.

Edit: Forum does not like the euro-symbol

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2009, 10:20.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Squirrel Saga Jun 19, 2009, 05:35 peteham

If you want to entertain yourself AND avoid feeding the squirrels, might I suggest
Or perhaps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb7KReY6Eg&feature=related

A bit cruel, I know

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2009, 05:38.

News Comments > Dante's Inferno Protest Faked
12. Re: Dante's Inferno Protest Faked Jun 5, 2009, 12:37 peteham

Why hire actors when all you need is a bit of hot coffee to get the real deal for free?  

News Comments > Metal Gear Solid: Rising on PC
16. Re: Metal Gear Solid: Rising on PC Jun 5, 2009, 04:18 peteham

Uh, is anyone actually wondering about that? Crytek wants to maximize profits, same reason that any publisher or developer makes a multiplatform game.
Welcome to the real world.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II Trailer
15. Re: Assassin's Creed II Trailer Jun 2, 2009, 13:52 peteham

And? Some of us would rather do without the keyboard acrobatics, I found the system to be elegant in its simplicity, as well as exciting. The level of freedom it gave you was refreshing.
Agreed. I'd rather not the game be about timing jumps or remembering to press a button to grab ledges... Like the badass assassin you are, you should be able to use the rooftops as easily as normal people walk the streets.

Again, I found it refreshing. If I'm such a badass assassin, then I ought to be able to beat the ever-loving crap out of normal, run-of-the-mill guards with ease. I don't want keyboard calistenics that make me get killed by a kid with a stick because I didn't hit the 5 button macro just right. That's too damn much like work for me.
Again agreed, though I also agree with Jerykk that just holding block was too easy and that for all the later guards, it was ALL about counter attacking. Some additional combos and a more timing oriented way of blocking might not have been so bad.

The main flaws of the game in my view were the repetitiveness, the fact that stealth kills are completely impossible, and that there simply was no planning involved at all. The best you can do (or at least that I was able to) is nail the target without killing any guards [first]. And then, the usual escape..

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2009, 13:53.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Announced
73. Re: Crysis 2 Announced Jun 2, 2009, 07:03 peteham

But I really get shivers when I read that its being done for consoles aswell. Thats not a good omen. Crysis was pretty simple already... if its getting even simpler (and shorter) because of consoles, then they can kiss my ass.
Yeah. My main worry is level-size. The best Crysis/Far Cry levels were the open ones that gave you plenty of room to roam and approach objectives from slightly different angles etc. I hope memory limitations on current consoles won't turn the game into an even more linear trek through through narrow canyons, along beaches cordoned off from the world by steep hills etc.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Announced
72. Re: Crysis 2 Announced Jun 2, 2009, 06:48 peteham

Crytek please don't put in a VTOL level in unless you get the controls right. Good god did that level suck...
QFT. I failed that multiple times because of something as stupid as lost altitude

In general I'm not that fond of any kind of sequence where you're locked into a vehicle like some sort of poorly conceived minigame. Something the VTOL level was a perfect example of. The massive tank battle on that huge open field/slope in the original Crysis was vehicles used properly (Come to think, that section is way up on my list of all-time favorite gaming moments.)

567 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo